The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Have you ever sighted in a Leica? Exceptional workmanship, quality. Leitz has always made some of the absolute finest optical lenses in the world - they are, IMO, hands down the best optical lenses on the planet. Leica manufacturing is Leitz - they changed their name about ten years ago. If you ever have the chance to sight in a Leica, give it a try.
Old June 28th, 2021, 01:22 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - The column bricks look great cleaned off!
Chris - Thanks. You'd think I knew what I was doing.
Old June 28th, 2021, 01:31 PM

Leica and Zeiss are probably the best. I've killed the majority of my stuff with a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 with a mid-range Leupold sitting on it. I have an old Black Knight of my dad's sitting in the safe. Needs shot.
Old June 28th, 2021, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - My club does not open until 1100 hours on Monday (someone hasn't been paying attention). .

Norm, Why in the wild wild world of sports would I pay attention to the opening and closing times,of a golf club I've never been to and most likely never will go to

Chris, Nice Iron
Old June 28th, 2021, 01:42 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, Why in the wild wild world of sports would I pay attention to the opening and closing times,of a golf club I've never been to and most likely never will go to.
James - Because you said the exact same thing to me the last time I played on Monday in the middle of the day about three weeks ago? I'll let it pass since you turned me onto two new seasonings. BTW, we never spoke of closing times.
Old June 28th, 2021, 01:46 PM

Chris - Have you ever sighted in a Leica? Exceptional workmanship, quality. Leitz has always made some of the absolute finest optical lenses in the world - they are, IMO, hands down the best optical lenses on the planet. Leica manufacturing is Leitz - they changed their name about ten years ago. If you ever have the chance to sight in a Leica, give it a try.
I know Leica/Leitz make top tier optics for sure. When I purchased that rifle and scope back in 1988 before my 1st trip to Colorado, I would have liked to have had a Leupold or Nikon, but couldn't afford it.. The Bausch & Lomb has never let me down though.
Old June 28th, 2021, 01:46 PM
Running On Empty

John - My Mom's brother (my Uncle Joe) purchased a new Remington 700 30-06 I guess 1962 - the first year they were made. He owned (he's deceased) enough rifles to supply a small army - he killed a bunch of enemies in Korea. He said that 30-06 was the best single action rifle he's ever owned. I got to fire it several times when he'd bring it out and show it off.
Old June 28th, 2021, 01:53 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Oh I can't tell you how sore I am. Worked in inspection for the first time in a month, standing all day and throwing those wheel halfs around. I got home and slept for two and a half hours. Took some Tylenol and I am starting to feel better. My only goal for the afternoon was to go to Walmart, but I'm just not feeling it. I'm sure I'll do better tomorrow and can go then.

Odd that the insurance company would big deal someone keeping there car stored somewhere. What difference does it make if it's at your house or not. It's not at your house when you're driving it. Koda it looks like you have plenty of room in there, is the problem the angle in which you have to approach the door? That van have a story or you just like it?

Hunting is one thing I've never done. Growing up in the suburbs with city folk for parents was not a recipe for being an outdoorsman. My Mom lived on a farm for a lot of years but all she did was ride her horse. Who by the way was named Mike. I've camped a little but it's no fun doing that stuff by yourself.

Time to start the wind down process. I have a feeling this is going to be a long week. Well it is, we're working Saturday. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old June 28th, 2021, 02:39 PM

James - Because you said the exact same thing to me the last time I played on Monday in the middle of the day about three weeks ago? I'll let it pass since you turned me onto two new seasonings. BTW, we never spoke of closing times.
Norm, I'm sure you're right but oh soooooooooooooooooo right

I have a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast
Old June 28th, 2021, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Leica and Zeiss are probably the best. I've killed the majority of my stuff with a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 with a mid-range Leupold sitting on it. I have an old Black Knight of my dad's sitting in the safe. Needs shot.
John - I love my Remington 700, mine is just an ADL, all I could afford at the time. I never owned a high powered rifle until I went hunting out west. Where I grew up in Southern Michigan we were limited to shotguns only. Had a couple different 12 gauges with extra rifled slug barrels. I miss the days when I lived up there from a hunting and fishing perspective, we had lots of friends with large farms intermixed with woodland areas where the game was thick and access easy.
Old June 28th, 2021, 02:58 PM
Running On Empty

No worries, James - I'm busting your ***** (I do hope you know this). I've eaten many really, really good Italian Beef sandwiches - especially when I was younger. The image (below) is ~1965 of the 'Beef Villa' in the town I grew up (Elgin, IL). A very small concrete block building owned by an Italian family. All of their sandwiches were knock outs & my favorite was their Italian Beef sandwich. Notice the Red Hot Chicago neon sign in the window. I've also eaten some really crappy Italian Beef sandwiches - especially the type where you bite into beef riddled with grizzle - I hate it. Therefore, since I'm the cook & the consumer my beef of choice is going to Filet Mignon. Expensive, so what. I want real beef, I want a great Italian Beef sandwich. Looking forward to 'Better Than Bouillon - Seasoned Roasted Beef'. I have nothing bad to say about a beef roast - our family used beef roast all of the time and I often cook with beef roast as a rudimentary/inexpensive beef which I can slow cook in a slow cooker all day long and break down grizzle; but, I'm going to opt for a better starting point this time - all beef Filet Mignon. I'm beginning to salivate and I haven't even purchased any meat.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 28th, 2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old June 28th, 2021, 02:59 PM

Odd that the insurance company would big deal someone keeping there car stored somewhere
Mike, it has to do with security. I am inclined to think that there is more risk of theft or damages occurring at a storage unit, than at home.
Old June 28th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Running On Empty

My Mom's side of the family (14 brothers/sisters) were all farmers (Wisconsin). Most owned 600+ acre soy bean, dent corn, alfalfa, wheat, sweet red clover, swine & dairy farms. We could literally sit at the kitchen table and shoot what we wanted - deer & other wild game out the wazoo (not the pigs & cows guys!).
Old June 28th, 2021, 04:30 PM

Chris, Nice Iron
James - Thanks, I just wish I had more opportunity to use them. I had planned to do a lot of bird hunting and big game hunting with my brother at this point in my life, but God had a different plan. I don't have much access to good hunting ground around where I live here. I'm hoping to go on a few hunting trips with a couple of buddies who hunt, but I'm still waiting on them to retire. Hope that happens soon while these old bones can still hoof it up and down those mountainsides!
Old June 28th, 2021, 06:06 PM

Good evening guys,

I went to our vet this afternoon to pick up some sedatives for Monty. He's had 2 really bad days in a row now because of the thunderstorms, and there's a strong chance of thunderstorms forecast through Thursday now and neither of one of us can stand to see him in such distress anymore, despite our reluctance to drug him up. Not a fun situation any way you look at it..

I'm planning an all day car event Saturday because right now the forecast is sunny and 83. First I'm going to go to a show at a large Church about 40-miles from me that's supposed to last until 2 or 2:30. Then I'm going to head down to DeSoto about 40-miles from the show, where the vintage Texaco Station is, for the DQ cruise-in that starts around 4:00. If momma wants to go to the DQ cruise, I'll swing by and pick her up, and we'll both get dinner and an ice cream at DQ. The DQ cruise-in lasts until 9:00, but I'll probably only stay until about 8:00. Total mileage round-trip between all the legs will be about 100 to 125-miles depending on if I swing by to pick up momma. Sounds like a great Old`s Day for sure if the forecast holds!

All the gun talk today sure made me miss hunting and shooting. One of these days soon I'm going to take some of my guns to the range and just shoot up a bunch of old ammo and some pyrodex that's getting older. Many of my guns are due for a re-oiling anyway and this would be a good excuse. The good news is, the three I pulled out for the picture today had absolutely no hint of any surface corrosion. I must have done something right the last time I put them away. I really love those silicone coated gun socks (grey sleeves in the pic) for storage, I believe they work really well.

Hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening!
Old June 28th, 2021, 06:30 PM

Our older dog has extreme anxiety issues with loud noises such as thunderstorms and fireworks, so we give her doggie tranquilizers and a thundershirt. Then we let her nest in the closet under the hanging clothes, where apparently she feels safer. That reminds me I need to ensure we have some drugs for the upcoming Fourth weekend. Luckily the younger dog doesn't care about noises and rides through with no issues.
Old June 28th, 2021, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Our older dog has extreme anxiety issues with loud noises such as thunderstorms and fireworks, so we give her doggie tranquilizers and a thundershirt. Then we let her nest in the closet under the hanging clothes, where apparently she feels safer. That reminds me I need to ensure we have some drugs for the upcoming Fourth weekend. Luckily the younger dog doesn't care about noises and rides through with no issues.
Kenneth - Your dog situation sounds exactly like mine. Monty has a total meltdown with thunder and fireworks. Maggie could sleep through a bombing raid and care less. I got the tranquilizers today, and my wife ordered a thundershirt today. We're going to try the thundershirt alone first and hope for the best, with the tranquilizers in reserve.
Old June 28th, 2021, 06:52 PM

Good Luck! I have spent many hours in the closet with the dog during fireworks - just gotta remember to bring an extra beer with me. My wife claims the "aromatherapy" stuff for the thundershirt helps. Helps the dog, that is, and not me.
Old June 29th, 2021, 01:35 AM

[QUOTE=Fun71;1352276]Good Luck!
I have spent many hours in the closet with the dog during fireworks - just gotta remember to bring an extra beer with me.
[QUOTE]

Kenneth - After all these years I finally know the meaning of the phrase "closet drinker" . . . LoL Now I think you're really on to something there. So on the 4th, I think I'll point one of my external security cameras toward the part of the night sky where most of our subdivision fireworks go off and stream the feed to my laptop. I'll take my portable softsided cooler and my laptop with me to the closet to "comfort" Monty, and I won't have to miss a minute of the fireworks or miss a minute of drinking! God I love it when a plan comes together!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 29th, 2021 at 01:38 AM.
Old June 29th, 2021, 02:01 AM

I'm a pre 64 model 70 kinda giuy but I agree with Chris hunting land is hard to find [ I'm not gonna hunt on public land there's too many looney tunes taking "bush shots"
Old June 29th, 2021, 05:11 AM

I'm a pre 64 model 70 kinda giuy but I agree with Chris hunting land is hard to find [ I'm not gonna hunt on public land there's too many looney tunes taking "bush shots"
James - They never made em any better than the pre-64 Winchesters! Good choice.

I agree with you about the looney tunes on public lands, it's like that here in Missouri too! For several years I was in a hunting lease contract with 4 other guys I worked with, leasing some prime hunting ground in northern Missouri near the Iowa border. We had access to a 1000-acres that were a mixture of corn and soy bean fields and woodlands, with a couple of creeks flowing through it. Monster bucks and a healthy population of pheasants and quail. It was a great deal when we started, but as the years went by I think the farmer realized other farmers with similar type ground were getting much, much more for their rights. Eventually we were priced out of the market, UGH!!!
Old June 29th, 2021, 06:47 AM

Ch

Chris, I got a few Wish I had more
Old June 29th, 2021, 06:53 AM

Ch

Chris, I got a few Wish I had more
Absolutely gorgeous guns and display James! Love em all, and would be proud to own any of them!!!
Old June 29th, 2021, 07:02 AM

The contraction in the lower left corner was given to me from an old [depart friend] from White bear Lake Minnesota, It's a Rube Goldberg, dove carrier, made from wood with 2 mouse traps that close an keep the heads from going back to the large hole [The doves heads are inserted through the large hole then slid where there necks are in the long slots ]

The bottom right is the original 20 gauge Model 12 t[ top gun in pic] take down case, Grand dad was a bird shooter. Has 2 barrels, long for doves, short for quail
Old June 29th, 2021, 07:06 AM

Good morning guys,
Hot and sticky here already at 0900. Temp is 79, 92% humidity, with a RealFeel (Heat Index) temp of 92. Just nasty! Predicting more scattered pop-up thunderstorms throughout the day, and through Thursday. Good news is lower temps and humidity is supposed to arrive on Friday. Good news for my planned "Car Day" on Saturday, forecast for sunshine, high of 83, and only 3% chance of any rain. Keeping my fingers crossed!

No big plans for today. May go for a local ride on one of the bikes if there are no big fronts on the radar this afternoon. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old June 29th, 2021, 07:28 AM

The contraction in the lower left corner was given to me from an old [depart friend] from White bear Lake Minnesota, It's a Rube Goldberg, dove carrier, made from wood with 2 mouse traps that close an keep the heads from going back to the large hole [The doves heads are inserted through the large hole then slid where there necks are in the long slots ]

The bottom right is the original 20 gauge Model 12 t[ top gun in pic] take down case, Grand dad was a bird shooter. Has 2 barrels, long for doves, short for quail
Now isn't that something, what a contraption, but hey if it works you can't knock it! I never went dove hunting until I came to Missouri. My Ex'es family (Grandpa and Uncles) owned a lot of farmland in the Bootheel near the Arkansas line (literally 1-mile from). After they harvested the doves would really flock in. I always thought I was a pretty decent bird shooter on pheasants, quail, and ruffled grouse. I thought how much different can doves be right? Well you know how this story ends, it took me probably 3 times out till I started getting enough lead on those little buggers. Very humbling!

I noticed you had a can of REM Oil on the shelf. I have a partial bottle and an unopened bottle of the old stuff. I love that stuff on my slide actions on my pumps and bolt actions. I don't know if it really is the Teflon in the formula or not, but it works! I've read that Remington has changed the formula and taken the Teflon out, and guys are saying it's not the product it once was??? I was never a fan of Hoppes gun oil, seems too heavy to me, but I'm a big fan of their No.9 solvent.
Old June 29th, 2021, 08:49 AM

Chris, Truth be know, I grew up tying a nail to a piece of string and pieces of an old t-shirt to the string. Drop the nail down the barrel, and pull the old oil covered rag down the barrel , repeat

That model 12 wooden sectional ram rod [ siting on bottom shelf in pic] wouldn't fit down my 410
Old June 29th, 2021, 09:05 AM

Chris, Truth be know, I grew up tying a nail to a piece of string and pieces of an old t-shirt to the string. Drop the nail down the barrel, and pull the old oil covered rag down the barrel , repeat

That model 12 wooden sectional ram rod [ siting on bottom shelf in pic] wouldn't fit down my 410
Before I got sophisticated (technical term for having $), I kept an old wire hanger that I had straightened out to pull homemade patches (like you, old clothing) through my barrels. My brother had a 410 bolt action, did you ever see one of those? I think it was a Savage???
Old June 29th, 2021, 09:21 AM
Running On Empty

I owned a single action bolt Savage .410 as a teenager. First shotgun I learned to hunt with.
Old June 29th, 2021, 09:51 AM

I owned a single action bolt Savage .410 as a teenager. First shotgun I learned to hunt with.
Norm - That's cool, do you still have it? Since I posted the above I researched what my brother had. It was a Savage/Stevens Model 58a detachable clip 4-round bolt action, cool little shotgun that would even accept 3" magnums. I am sure my nephew is now in possession of it. I wish I knew what happened to the only shotgun I ever saw my Dad carry when he was teaching us boys when we were pre-teens. It was an Iver Johnson, 16 gauge, single shot, hammer style, break-open model. That was back when 16 gauge shells were still available everywhere. When I was a boy I always wondered why he carried that old single shot 16 gauge? Now looking back, I know why, he never missed. Now you might just think it's a boy's nostalgic recollection's about his Dad, but I swear I do not remember ever seeing the man miss, anything! He always saw game first before we did, reacted quicker, and shot better than either of us boys ever did!
Old June 29th, 2021, 10:01 AM

Chris, Did your dad carry extra shells between the fingers of his left hand so he could quickly reload? I've seen a few old timers do that
Old June 29th, 2021, 10:08 AM

Chris, Did your dad carry extra shells between the fingers of his left hand so he could quickly reload? I've seen a few old timers do that
Yes sir, he did!
Old June 29th, 2021, 10:29 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - I don't own the .410 - one of my brother's owns it. My second shotgun (as a teenager) was a .410 single shot (can't recall manufacturer). It had a dropping block hinge or rolling block hinge (can't recall the delta between the two) which exposed the breech. Little lever on the side you pushed inward & the barrel would till forward & downwards to eject the cartridge and for loading a cartridge. I can't recall how many times I ejected a cartridge right into my face before it became ingrained in my mind to hold it sideways a tad bit.
Old June 29th, 2021, 10:48 AM

Little lever on the side you pushed inward & the barrel would till forward & downwards to eject the cartridge and for loading a cartridge. I can't recall how many times I ejected a cartridge right into my face before it became ingrained in my mind to hold it sideways a tad bit.
Norm - My Dad's 16 gauge had the break open lever on top of the stock behind the hammer, much like most doubles do. That couldn't have felt good catching a shell in the face!

My 1st shotgun was a Mossberg 20 gauge pump. Later I purchased a rifled slug barrel for it to deer hunt with. I still have the gun and both barrels. I plan to pass it down to my oldest grandson some day if he wants it. His Dad hunts, so I'm assuming he will start at some age. I bought him his 1st BB gun 2 Christmases ago, a Daisy Red Ryder, "with the Compass in the stock"! He's a pretty good little shot already for 8, and you should see him shoot a long bow!
Old June 29th, 2021, 11:09 AM

I like shooters choice fp10 over Hoppe's 9. It's a little more viscous. I use Hoppe 9 solvent. I use RUG monolithic grease. My dad and I have a Model 12 and two Model 97s. May have a 94 in 22 mag....it's some sort of lever Winchester.

Anyone who tries to steal that van will have fun. It's more driveable than a model T or A, but manual trans with over the shoulder column shifter, mechanical clutch, manual brakes, steering, choke, fast idle will make getting it going fun.
Old June 29th, 2021, 11:37 AM

Koda, I have 2 Winchester pump US Army trench guns mod 12 & 97 for home defense I've always loaded them backwards with 6's OO then slug
If pumping a shotgun doesn't scare them off, Ya got either a[ a real idiot or 2[ someone screwed up on drugs

BTW How many times have ya got the meat between your thumb and index finger caught with your model 97 Hammer on the second shot when the recoil inches your hand up too high on the stock
Old June 29th, 2021, 02:15 PM
Running On Empty

It's hotter than a Jalapeno fart.
Old June 29th, 2021, 04:11 PM

Koda, I have 2 Winchester pump US Army trench guns mod 12 & 97 for home defense I've always loaded them backwards with 6's OO then slug
If pumping a shotgun doesn't scare them off, Ya got either a[ a real idiot or 2[ someone screwed up on drugs

BTW How many times have ya got the meat between your thumb and index finger caught with your model 97 Hammer on the second shot when the recoil inches your hand up too high on the stock
I think the one time I've seen that 97 in action at game was at a turkey in the 80s. My dad needed one shot. I also have a pheasant stuffed he took in the 70s with it on my dining room table. Need to hang that bird.
Old June 30th, 2021, 04:04 AM

It's hotter than a Jalapeno fart.

See # 35677
Old June 30th, 2021, 04:08 AM
Running On Empty

See # 35677
Tee time 0830 this morning.