The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2021, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Just got back from the Hot Rod Reunion at Beech Bend Dragway , Bowling Green Kentucky. Also went to the Corvette Museum, Wow remember the sink hole there a couple years ago? Some of the below pics are of those unrepaired cars that fell in the sink hole.... Unbelievable but it did happen!

It was a blast!
Greg - It does look like a blast, glad you had a good trip! Thanks for sharing the pics!
Old June 20th, 2021, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Maybe one of those shares with an umbrella or a small canopy might be in order for you when attending shows? I have a 10' x 10' & takes literally minutes to set up.
Norm - You're welcome, glad to share them! You're right about the canopy. I got lucky today that I had access to such a huge shade tree, probably won't always be that lucky. Only issue is that a lot of shows don't allow them because of the potential damage to cars if one gets away. The chair/umbrella thing might be the best bet!
Old June 20th, 2021, 08:27 PM
Always room for one more

Funny day today. It rained, the sun was out, it rained, the sun was out. Had a nice time at my sister's. I was never big on family growing up but it's nice to get together with everyone and sit and talk.

Greg glad you had a good time and a good trip. Does the display of wrecked Corvettes describe how they fixed the actual hole? Have they set up geological equipment to monitor if that sort of thing begins to happen again?

Chris glad you made it to the show. When Summit Racing had their Monday night static cruise an old guy had a small air conditioning unit hooked up to a battery and an electric motor. He'd point the AC unit right at himself and it would run and put out enough cool air to keep him comfortable. It' would still be pretty hot at 8pm at night, especially on the asphalt. I'll bet that would be pretty easy to come up with.

Jamesbo, I think that's a song. White tail buck deer, munchin' on clover.

Up early tomorrow to hit the Awful house, then go to Pulix, Old Time Pottery, and Lowes. If the rain holds off I'll paint the outside doors, and clean and paint the patio chairs. If it does rain, I'll go back to bed. Actually, I'll help my Mom make lasagna.

Well have a good evening everyone.

Old June 20th, 2021, 09:24 PM
Running On Empty

I love Alabama. Good choice, Mike.
Old June 21st, 2021, 06:56 AM
GCH

Very nice pictures Chris , and very good quality Seems like Greg had a god time also nice pics.
Have seen about sinkholes on the web and television .
Saturday morning started with much rain but in the afternoon the sun start shining again and the
temprature was fine so we took the 98 to the town and had some cruising , a lot of US car owners
have had same thoughts so there was many cars out.
And there is no need to ask my wife twice going with top down in the 98 she just love it , me too.

This white moose was captured on video a couple miles from us , not so many who are white here.

Old June 21st, 2021, 06:59 AM

Yeah, Mike they have repaired the sink hole. They have a big display and simulation of how it happened. One can learn a little about geography by going to a Corvette museum! Actually except for the lost of those special vettes it is probably a plus for them cuz it is a real attraction of the museum, they prolly get more visitors now than before the sink hole. There was nation wide media coverage. There is a security footage video of it. The hole started forming years back but because it was under the building, no one knew. Eventually the dirt below the concrete was gone and the hole was deep. So the concrete was holding itself up just by it's own strength (not much). So when the concrete fell the cars fell a distance down ( maybe 20 feet, not sure)
Old June 21st, 2021, 07:02 AM
Running On Empty

Glenn - That white moose is gorgeous!
Old June 21st, 2021, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Very nice pictures Chris , and very good quality Seems like
Thanks Glenn! Glad you and your wife could get out for a cruise in the 98!
Old June 21st, 2021, 08:00 AM
GCH

Glenn - That white moose is gorgeous!
Thanks Norm , they are gorgeous but all of them don´t like Automovers

Old June 21st, 2021, 08:51 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Cloudy, rained pretty good while we were out but it's stopped. Hope that's it for the day. I'd actually like to mow in the back, but my mower is electric and I'd hate for it to be a shocking experience.

Don't think I've ever seen a white moose. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a moose. Only in pictures.

Norm that is the song, when I was in high school, that got me listening to country music. When I was little my folks listened to country, and I hated it. Now those are the songs I like best. But Dixieland Delight is a special one. That and Mountain Music.

Well today starts another trip around the sun. Hope it's a good one. Started out good, Mom, Tiger, when to Awful house. Going out with everyone tonight.

Okay Happy Monday everyone. Have a good day.

Old June 21st, 2021, 01:09 PM

Happy Berfday Mike, I was gonna say, Ya need to splurge and go out to Skopolo's but I looked it up and the best Greek place in Pensacola has closed after 60+ yeares

I made a wonderful French dip sandwich fer lunch but the pic turned out so crappy, I won't post it And of course I didn't look at the pic until after I ate it. So y'all are gonna haveta use your imagination, lean roast beef aux jus piled high on French bread with horse radish and mayo and a big side bowl of jus to dip it in
Old June 21st, 2021, 01:12 PM

HAPPY B-DAY MIKE, hope you have a great one!
Old June 21st, 2021, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Yeah, Mike they have repaired the sink hole.
They filled it in with Corvettes, right?
Old June 21st, 2021, 02:01 PM
Running On Empty

Alright, I'm getting worried. I looked at the CO Calendar & I don't see slantflat as having a B-Day on either June 21st or June 20th. Did I miss something other than Mike's statement regarding "....today starts another trip around the sun...."? I thought Mike was referring to the Summer Solstice, which in the Northern Hemisphere marks the furthest declination to the Sun @ 23.5° North Latitude (the longest day of summer). I know many people refer to the Summer Solstice as marking the beginning of a new revolution around the sun; in fact, I believe historically speaking it has generally been referred to as the beginning (starting) point of a new revolution about the Sun. Well, Mike if it's your B-Day Happy Birthday!
Old June 21st, 2021, 02:13 PM

Norm, Maybe I read it wrong
Old June 21st, 2021, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, Maybe I read it wrong
Hell, I was just following James the Pied Piper of CO!
Old June 21st, 2021, 02:27 PM
Running On Empty

Hell, maybe I read it wrong.
Old June 21st, 2021, 02:56 PM
Running On Empty

Trimming/Weed whacking & the only thing on my mind is shaved Italian Beef, au jus & French Bread. Damn you James.
Old June 21st, 2021, 03:26 PM

Norm, Don't know if you're familiar with this product but it's really good and makes aux jus a snap. [ Also comes in chicken shrimp etc] I keep a supply of most on hand at all times]

Old June 21st, 2021, 04:21 PM
Running On Empty

James - I believe I may have seen it in the grocery store by the bouillons but never thought much about it since I’ve always used Lowry’s. I’ll have to give it a try. Thanks. Something else you told me about I forgot to get last time at grocery store I’ll have to read up in the thread.
Old June 21st, 2021, 06:18 PM
Running On Empty

James - Cajun's Choice shrimp seasoning is what I forgot the last time at the grocery store.

Update on 'The Wall'

Corner Column - Will tie into one of the gate columns (RH-side), LH-side one section of fencing.

Three Standoffs Embedded in Mortar

Horizontal Fencing Standoff Towards Gate

Horizontal Fencing Standoff Towards Fencing

Wall Ties Embedded in Concrete & Mortar

Old June 21st, 2021, 06:57 PM

Floyd comes to mind . . . All in all it's just another brick in "The Wall"!
Old June 21st, 2021, 07:32 PM

Norm - I saw your post about the phonograph in the car in Ralph's "Back to the 50's" car show thread. Elvis had a gold 1960 Cadillac Series 75 Fleetwood Limo that had a full size turntable and a television in it. You can see it in person at the Country Music Hall of Fame Museum in Nashville.

As I remember, the phonograph pulls out of the rectangular unit below the television.

Old June 21st, 2021, 07:34 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Floyd comes to mind . . . All in all it's just another brick in "The Wall"!
See Post 35497
Old June 21st, 2021, 07:35 PM
Running On Empty

A phonograph player in an automobile is nuts.
Old June 21st, 2021, 07:42 PM

See Post 35497
I was a day late and a dollar short on that one wasn't I!

Yes, a phonograph in an auto is nuts!
Old June 21st, 2021, 08:36 PM

Norm, Ya may haveta buy Cajun's Choice on line
Old June 21st, 2021, 08:46 PM
Running On Empty

Done

Old June 21st, 2021, 09:50 PM

Well, Jamesbo, I didn't have any blackberries but, I have blueberries, and I picked up some vanilla ice cream. The white moose is pretty cool. About 90 miles north of me in Irons, Mi. they have white deer. I have been wanting to get up there with my camera and get some pics (if I am lucky enough to see one). Nice car show pics Chris. Greg I have been wanting to go the the Vette museum for awhile, gotta do it one of these days. Record players in cars was an option in the 50's, I would think it smart to only playing it when at a stop, like at the local diner/hangout. The search is on for a new dentist. I'll ask about emergency visits before I sign up for anyone though. Koda, my last dentist was one who would meet you at the dentist office in the off hours for an emergency, he was very clear about doing so, but they stopped accepting my companies insurance, so I had to switch.

Old June 21st, 2021, 09:54 PM
Running On Empty

You guys with your cobblers are killing me! They look delicious.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 01:24 AM

Dan, Looks delicious

Norm, Nice work [ on the wall and shopping]

Mike, How is Clyde doing?

Donny [ whose and inactive member here]took his family up to use my lake house last weekend. [He's also the greatest mechanic I've ever known and looks after 300 different engines /pieces of equipment at 2 golf coerces] He took his family out for a 45 minute spin in Dos Boat [17' Boston Whaler with a 90 Honda] on the way back to the dock, it started skipping and conked out just as he docked. He seems to think fouled plugs,[ using the K.I.S.S. principle] but IMHO it's kinda odd they fouled after 45 minutes of a boat ride

Plugs are 2 years old and I winterize with sta-bil in the gas and drain all carbs

I order a set of plugs to throw in but would like it to be humming when my family starts using it

What do my learned Olds friends thing Gas? Air,? spark?

Donny offered to go back up and work on it [when it's not pouring rain ]but He's got a full plate at work and I hate to impose on him
Old June 22nd, 2021, 03:06 AM

Thumbs up

James - Cajun's Choice shrimp seasoning is what I forgot the last time at the grocery store.

Update on 'The Wall'

Corner Column - Will tie into one of the gate columns (RH-side), LH-side one section of fencing.

Three Standoffs Embedded in Mortar

Horizontal Fencing Standoff Towards Gate

Horizontal Fencing Standoff Towards Fencing

The man has some serious skills
Old June 22nd, 2021, 04:19 AM

Ray, you ain't jes whistling Dixie. The boy can cook, play golf, repair electrical problems, fix roofs, lay bricks fix computers and do seismic research

I'm still werking on spelling and get crossed up putting my britches on in the mawn'in
Old June 22nd, 2021, 05:48 AM

Good morning guys,
Cool this morning, 55, at 0730 behind the front that moved through yesterday. Supposed to be a real beauty today with sun and a high of 80. I need to mow, and today will be the perfect day for it after the dew burns off. No other big plans for today, maybe a long ride for tomorrow which is also supposed to be real nice. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Old June 22nd, 2021, 06:40 AM
Running On Empty

James - Thanks for the positive comments. Obviously, it could be any of those issues - air, gas, spark. Most likely a simple issue (hopefully). What is your fuel source setup? Since I've owned numerous boats w/ outboards, I'll make a couple suggestions:
(1) Do you have a primer bulb you squeeze to prime the engine? It may or it may not leak - could be a hairline crack or separation in the fuel line causing cavitation of the fuel line by allowing air to enter the fuel line. Ensure the primer bulb is good and the fuel line(s) are in good condition;
(2) Do you have an external fuel/water separator? If so, when's the last time you changed it &/or drained it? There are many varieties, some allow you to drain from the bottom others require R&R of the separator itself. I'd check it.;
(3) Spark plugs are a definite consideration. If the engine isn't getting much usage, they'll have a tendency to corrode much faster and can eventually just give up the ship midstream - as opposed to constant usage where you're burning off condensation within the combustion chambers.
(4) Alternator. Not sure of the age of your 90 Honda, but alternators have a tendency to go out on outboards because of the constant water environment. The windings are suspect to corrosion with a constant high water environment.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 06:42 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Ray Dzi
The man has some serious skills
Ray, thanks for the compliment. Trying to get by.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 06:54 AM
Running On Empty

James - I'll mention one additional item which may or may not have contributed - it's one of those situations where you have to ask yourself when is the last time the lower-end impeller was changed? Depending on year & model of your 90 Honda, some of the newer units have a sensor which will shut down the engine during an overheat condition. The lower-end unit impeller drives water into the engine via the impeller. The impeller is made of hardened vulcanized rubber. They have a tendency to wear & I believe on most outboards they recommend evaluation of the lower-end unit impeller once/year. If the engine (on newer models) begins to overheat, some engines will shut down until the temperature is brought into range. The culprit can often be a bad worn out impeller resulting in limited or no water flow. Easy enough maintenance item which requires you to unbolt the lower-end unit and evaluate the impeller. Just a thought. Can you tow the boat (via water) to a reputable marina or do you have to trailer it to a marina on land?
Old June 22nd, 2021, 08:11 AM

Thanks Norm, I'm gonna pull the plugs 1st and have a gander

I had a baguette and some aux jus left over so lunch is a repeat of yesterday

Old June 22nd, 2021, 09:07 AM
Jeff

I would think with a 90hp setup, there would be an audible temp sensor alarm in the wiring. NEVER run the motor out of the water without muffs on and water flowing. I ran mine for 15-25 seconds last spring and melted my impeller, all because I didn't think that would be long enough to hurt anything. WRONG. Getting that melted impeller out was not fun, and took much longer than unbolting the lower unit and reinstalling after the new impeller was put in.

My guess, based on experience, is fuel. Sputtering would be caused by cracked line (or primer bulb), or you had debris in the tank that was sucked up into your carb or injectors (depending, of course, on the type of motor you're running). My two-stroke 90hp Yamaha has done the exact same thing, and it was old fuel line. Replaced the entire length from tank to motor, and good to go. Be careful with the replacement, though. I went through 3 or 4 days trying to solve my issue after replacing the fuel line, and it turns out that the stupid "ethanol-friendly" lines have a plastic liner in them. The liner was all mashed up on the primer bulb, inlet and outlet sides, and was blocking the fuel flow. Took that POS back to the local boat shop and had them make me a new line using traditional fuel line material. I can't tell you how mad I was, and the shop was embarrassed that they had a pre-packaged product with such poor quality control on their shelf.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 09:19 AM
Running On Empty

Valid point regarding overheating audible alarm - if it’s hooked up, working, has one etc. Nice story on the melted impeller. A friend years ago performed the same operation. Raised the engine and ran it a couple minutes to ensure all the salt water was removed from the intakes. He had been performing this routine repeatedly for some time (while at dock). I showed/helped him remove what was left of his impeller. Explained to him either leave the water drain naturally in the raised position or put a freshwater cup(s) on the lower end unit to flush it out. He learned.