The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2015, 04:49 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili

Scot, Glad de young'un didn't get hurt. Ya can always buy her anutter set of wheels. BTW did you see dat de driver dat had de wreck dat killed dat news anchor had 9 X suspend licenses.

John, Dis mawn'in's new is why I don't do Mardi Gras any more

Mike, I think ya need an SBD diver bomber to add to your collectionn. Then jes send de 10 k to me [and be sure and tell your neighbors]

Allan, How'd ya Curl las nite [ Is dat de correct phraseology]

Clint, What's your opinion of those tarps dat catch chicken poop de put up under de rooost? My grand mother never worried about such things but today's Yuppy chicken raises seem to have sum funny idears
Old February 13th, 2015, 05:40 AM
CQR

Good idea if it doesn't scare them away from roosting there. Easy peasy clean up. The wife picks the coop daily just like mucking horse stalls daily.
Old February 13th, 2015, 06:08 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', all.... Yep, sad nite last night in N.O. When I was a puppy, there was a Burger King at that corner we'd eat at; street cars clangin' as we downed our Whoppers & shakes.

Jamesbo, I'm gonna' call ur bluff & say you wouldn't be at a parade if it was held at the pearly gates with St. Peter acting as Police Chief. But as I said, the media have no problem reporting the crime. The police aren't all that eager to share their info with the media; but the media are quick to publish.

Mite nippy in da' swamp; 'twas 30 at 6. Unfortunately, Elsie is headed here and won't arrive until Fat Tuesday; they're hopin' they can get most of the Mardi Gras krewes rollin' and done with before the skies burst. But it'll be touch & go.

Whelpt, y'all have a great Freya's day, Oldsmobuds.
Old February 13th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin All,

Cold...-27, windchill -34. C....hear Fort Myers is a mere 63 F.

I opened the garage door yesterday and a white weasel was looking at me....must of heard all this talk of chickens

Clint, what is a fake teacup pig?

Allan, I think I will take up curling...do you find it is hard on your back? My skiing days are over!

Well,better go stoke up the furnace...wife is complaining it is cold.

Have a day all.
Old February 13th, 2015, 06:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow! Can't believe we have 2 nice days in a row up here with melting a key feature of the day. Yesterday got up to +4 so I took advantage of that to work on the Saturn. Put on a fleece and track pant then my coveralls so lying on de garage floor wasn't terrible. Used the 3 ton jack to get it up nice and high so not hard to scoot in and out. Only 2 things that were a Pita. One was getting that stupid plastic cover off the top and second was the upper 13 mm attaching bolt. For something that's Spoda take only 5 minutes to remove its at least a 20 minute job. Doesn't help to have fat fingers I guess. Anyhoot NAPA said they would have the replacement one on Toosday so it'll sit up in the air till then. Would have been a real chore if the temps were -14 like they've been for quite awhile. Just my bad planning it also is sitting with a full tank of fuel whilst de Sonata is starting to suck fumes.

Jim, hey tanks fer askin. Yup,dats de korrect terminology. It was morning curling Turdsday. The rocks had been freshly reconditioned so they were cutting like crazy at any speed they were thrown. What dat means is kinda like shooting aa gun but havin to adjust for wind age. Ya gots ta aim way different ta git the right result. Dat make sense to ya?

Scot, lol wanna buy a used Saturn? I wish, but de missus decided she wants to keep,it fer Anutter year. This is great! When I do sell it I can honestly say it was owned by my little old lady and used only sparingly. Amazing that in all the years we've had it she's never put gas in it or washed it. Those things just magically happen....

Clint, After that latest bout with the Saturn I got a whole lot more appreciation of guys like you who do this everyday. Gotta say though that I didn't mind doing it but I'm sure you know some great shortcuts that save time and money.

Kaffezeit, schönen tag noch.
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:15 AM
CQR

Ted, I guess its possible to come across a well nourished Teacup pig, but most of the time its a con job.

http://www.teacuppig.info/
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Ted,
From what I read teacup pigs don't stay teacup size very Long. Better off getting a hamster or chewy haha.

Curling is an easy sport to get into. Just need a good sense of balance. First time you curl your legs and arms will hurt. After that it no problem. It's nOt a sport that hurts your back unless you slip and fall on yer tailbone or back. Knock on wood I haven't fallen in over 14 years. I love the game.

Sorry to hear about your weather. I expect you got the wood truck through with no probs? Was the Weasel surprised as you were?
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:32 AM

Here ya go Sandy
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

zat chili cheese dogs?
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:16 AM

No cheese, jes chili dog, rings an a fried pie
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Wow what a week. Off at 530 every morning. The stars must be aligned just right. Now I'm off for a couple.

Clint I'm sure there's plenty of rules about not living in a permanent structure, but the shop is not inside town proper, and it's off the beaten path so to say, so I could do it until someone said something. Quiet neighborhood, I doubt anyone would say anything. It's what I would have done had I transferred to Savannah.

Once in a while I see these people who make houses out of jetliners. I would love to do that, but they all live out by the airplane desert. Short of one of those big lifting helicopters I couldn't get a fuselage back to the property. You'd have to have some dynamite ventilation, because an airplane that stays closed up and doesn't move for more than a couple hours stinks inside like crazy.

When I was in Australia one time I said that I wanted a wombat as a pet. They are pudgy and look cuddly. My friends just looked at me.

Time to go do something. Sun's out, but cold. Tonight is supposed to be one of the coldest nights of the season. Got some firewood all ready.
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
No cheese, jes chili dog, rings an a fried pie
Jeez that makes me want one. But I can't eat that stuff anymore... Nutritionist would have a nut if I started up wit doze...
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:09 AM

The worm's got a problem with frozen ground and snow.
SE WI goes back to the deep freeze for the next week or so.
Old February 14th, 2015, 04:53 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Gerry, what the heck are you doing up at 2am? It's going to be 60 here today, but then 22 and windy tonight. Yikes.

Plans are to get my hair cut, go to the junkyard, and check out Publix. Someone said they have the big bones that my dogs like, and I can't find them anywhere else, so I'll have a look. The dogs have 6 bones to chew on, but they're all a couple years old and getting pretty worn down.

I can't wait to get to the Awful house this morning. The past few years we've had these things called Camp Cards. The Scouts sell them for 5 bucks and the money sends them to camp. They have a variety of discounts on them, show the card at one of the places listed on the back and get their discount. Awful house has always been 10% off. This year, it's only buy one waffle get one free. Or so I thought. The Henry County one is the buy a waffle one, but a guy at work who lives in Cherokee County has some that are good for the whole metro area, and it has the 10% at Awful house. The manager at the one I go to hated giving the discount, I can't wait to see his face when he sees what I have.

Not much else. Happy Valentine's Day. It's true, nobody loves me. Well, except my Mom.
Old February 14th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin All,

Yup, cold again.

Clint, TY for the link about teacup pigs. Reminds me of a guy around here that sold piglets to urbanites. You would buy and rent barn space and feed from him and raise your little piglet. Within 3 months, the guy had disappeared with all the money.

Allan, the log truck made it up my lane way. He calls me the night before so it gives me ample time to plow if needed.Going to the curling rink next Saturday to watch a curling match with a friend that curls.

Mike, a jetliner house...how cool is that!. I have a an old 60 foot cement silo I have always wanted to make into a house. Tons of ideas, just no
money

Cutlass Dad, I think half the continent is in a deep freeze!

Have a day All
Old February 14th, 2015, 05:14 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili

And all yous guys that can spell Zamboni w/o looking it up would be laughing your a$$ off at de weather folks.

We "MIGHT" get sleet on Monday and the emergency has officially begun.

It's an Hotlanta tradition to rush to de grocery stow and buy milk and bread

Mike, There's a passenger plane bar in Havana Cuba I went to. I thnik it's and old Lockheed Electra

Welp, GTG put sum wood on de poach

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old February 14th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

You know the old saying about some place and weather - blink and it's different? Yowsa. Yesterday we had a light rain, then freezing rain towards evening. Well dis mawnin I woke up to 5" of fresh snow and it's still coming down lightly. Got de cozy fire going so it's nice and toasty up in my cave.

Jim, I kinda like de idea of a wood burner, but we went wit gas. I don't got a supply on a plot Ike you do so this works fine. Miss the crackle and smell of wood burn....

Mike, that mgr sounds like he's just plain cheap.

Ted, watching a game is different than actually being on the ice. It's a good start though to understand strategy and the gamE. I'm really pleased to hear you could end up being a player. Some clubs will loam out brooms and sliders to newbies to try out. You will need clean shoes (as in new) shoes if you want to step on the ice. LMK how it goes, I'll send you some more info after I hear back how it went. BTW. The Tournament of Hearts starts today. You can catch that on TSN for some pro women curling action.

Gerry, right there with ya. Winter can't last forever I hope.

Guess I'll pour some fresh Java and think about firing up the black beast.

Enjoy your day.
Old February 14th, 2015, 08:52 AM

Dag nabbit Allan, what did you send me? snowin' n blowin', with wind chills dropping to -35 overnight!!! I'll get out with the blower later so's the mail kin git delivered.
Old February 14th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from the junkyard. Not much to write home about. The Awful house was a hoot and a half today. I showed my friends the new card and they flipped. Like I thought, I got about a half dozen people want me to get one for them. The waitresses laughed and we never told the manager. He'll find out later when he goes through the day's receipts. Allan you're right. He's crazy with the food costs. He won't get pie out because he doesn't want to have to order any more. He won't give out more than one jelly unless you ask for it, make that plead for it, he scrimps on the hashbrowns. Oh the list goes on. He's a nice enough guy but sucks as a manager.

So I'm rethinking what I rethought last week. My initial plan of getting some cheep POS to drive around gave way to some sort of truck, and now that gas jumped a dime in the time I was at breakfast, I think I need to keep with the cheep theme. Cheep to buy and cheep to operate. I plan on being the end user so nothing very nice. Driving the black truck will put me in the poor house. Even if it does save me buying something and all that goes with it.

Can anyone tell me just how awful a 4cyl/5 speed S10 is? Tough to find one that's a stick shifter and a 6 cylinder. What about something with a Quad 4? How have they aged, are they reliable or troublesome?

Gonna find something to do outside, so I can enjoy the nice weather before we get cold and sleet. The weather person kept revising the forecast for sleet. At first it was in the North Georgia mountains, then it was north of the city, now it's north of Griffin. Hm, I'm north of Griffin. Better get some milk and bread.

Okay see ya's.
Old February 14th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike
You're upset about gas being only 2.19/gallon?? I'd kill for that! That works out to .58/L up here where we're paying 88 right now. Quite a margin in prices huh? Spend the money and get a V6 or V8. You'll probably need something with oomph when you start getting supplies to build your new digs.

BTW, the alternator for the Saturn should be in on Tues/Wed. What a PITA to get out. Have you ever had to replace it on your high Saturn? Maybe I should replace the belt while I'm at it. It looks fine but it's also about 8 years old.
Old February 14th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Always room for one more

The point is, Allan, that gas was 1.87 a week ago and now it's 2.19. It isn't the amount so much as the amount it goes up for no apparent reason. Last year when I was in Australia petrol was 1.37/liter.

I haven't replaced the alternator in the Saturn yet. That will get done when I do the engine. It also needs a power steering pump, a compressor, and an idler pulley. It will be much easier replacing these things when the engine is out of the car.
Old February 14th, 2015, 06:26 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Got another 2 inches here today so far and we have blizzard warnings until 1pm tomorrow. Been stuck in this pattern now for the last month; been below freezing for most of the time with snow 2 to 3 times/week.

Alan - have to love working on newer cars right? I think they try to cram everything into these engine compartments without any thought as to how to service anything easily.

I'll try to post pics of the Riv soon. Haven't been able to get it out of the garage because of the weather.

Mike - you're probably right. It is too nice to be a beater but it is hard to find anything decent for 2k to 3k.

Going outside to start shoveling, talk to y'all later.
Old February 14th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - I get the point but I'm not sure you fully understand our situation. 2 weeks ago I could buy gas here for 62¢/L and then it just started going up for no apparent reason while the price/barrel continued to slide. So we've seen a 29¢/L increase in that short time and it fluctuates as much as .04/L every few days. That equates to 109.6/US gallon increase. That's why I was saying your price increase of .10/gal isn't much of a concern IMO (by comparison). I fully understand why anyone would be upset by the increasing price of fuel without any apparent reason - especially when the national reserves are so high. And Australia doesn't have anything on us - 1.37/L is nothing. When I travelled to BC this spring (April) gas was cheap at 1.32/L locally and in Vancouver/Surrey it was over 1.55/L. I know what the cost of high priced fuel is, and so do most of the millions of Canadians who have no choice but to pay the ransom.

Our province relies on oil for most of it's revenue and is taking a 7 Billion hit this budget. Gas companies here say it's not profitable to sell gas for prices in the 60¢ range so I guess instead of closing stations they decided to just whack us with costs that would fuel their corporate greed. Funny thing is with all the layoffs in the patch, they're saving themselves a lot of $$$ but not passing that on to the consumers. Too bad Tesla isn't more plentiful and more affordable now or I'd give big oil a pass, along with all the other car companies that use fossil fuel.

Darrell - That's about the size of it. The space between the RS of the engine where everything bolts to and the engine mount is only about 3". Some of it is accessible from below but it's tight. Don't hurt yourself with the shovelling.
Old February 15th, 2015, 05:27 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin All,

-28C windchill -43C ...time for this middle aged man to head South!

Well said Allan on the gas thing! Remember the meat scare a few years back? The farmer was getting nothing for his stock but the grocery stores were still charging full price for meat..kinda the same, other than the farmer has no say!

I will not be a spectator for long at the rink. Heck, I watch my son at football camp and all I want to do is join in

Darrel, I do not even pop the hood on any of my newer vehicles. They go to fellas like Clint who figure them out!

Well, better go stoke the fires and plan my ROADTRIP..

Have a Day All
Old February 15th, 2015, 05:39 AM

Brrr, morning all, a little warmer than Sammy...a toasty -21 wind chill . I'll put a couple in at work, and then a whole lotta nuthin'!
Old February 15th, 2015, 05:45 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Running late, because I slept late. Stayed up to watch The Blues Brothers. Not a terrific movie but good chase scenes. And of course anything to do with Chicago...

Sunny and cold here, though not as cold as Ted and Dan. Tonight we're supposed to get into that territory.
Old February 15th, 2015, 06:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Anutter weird weekend. Yesterday after cleaning up the mess of snow temps started rising and got above. Melting! Not matching the forecast model but I'll take it. This mawnin it's already warm at +3C but without the sun not much is hAppening. The front of the house and drive faces North so it won't get much help from the sun when it comes out.

Ted, good for you! That's the spirit. Getting in and challenging the sport is the best way to go. Sort of like language immersion. Just be careful not to fall and hurt yourself, ok?

Dan, I never sent that sprise your way. I thought maybe you sent it our way...

Jim, you gonna go whack whirl tomorrow?

Scot, How's the hunt going?

Koffees kalling. Enjoy your day.
Old February 15th, 2015, 08:08 AM
CQR

Mornin all. Didn't get to watch SX last night because UFC was on. (I don't like watching people beat the tar out of each other)

Snows coming. Got to go to the shop and pick up the Hoopdee for plowing.

Have a Day.
Old February 15th, 2015, 08:56 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili fer de sunny south

Allan, Can't play tomorrow de greens are frozen.

Guess I do like everyone else in Atlanta, Go to de grocery store fer barred an milk
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Allan, Can't play tomorrow de greens are frozen.
ya mean ya could curl on em?
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:58 AM

Not dat frozen jes frozen enough dat if ya walk on it the blades of grass break apart from de roots.
Old February 15th, 2015, 11:17 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Afternoon Oldsmofriends

Nice pretty day 50*F, guess it's supposed to get cold tonight though. Good thing it isn't going to sleet here or folks in these parts would loose their minds Jamesbo didcha bermember bread & milk?

Whelp second day in a row I've tried to multi-quote all of the thoughtful messages about my daughter's accident to no avail

Thank you all for those well wishes She is fine except for the fact that she had all four wisdom teeth cut out Friday. As far as the car hunt goes, we decided on the '06 Corolla S. It's a good little car that has been taken care of and garaged it's whole life. I like the 1.8 liter 4-banger, it's a good little engine.

Went to the meat store the other day to stock up whilst the freezer was defrosting and darn if the windings in the compressor didn't short out when I plugged it back in Luckily we found a great deal on a new one. So as I was changing the monster's out, I noticed water on the garage floor around the water heater. Yup, it's bad too Come to find out it was leaking from the inner tank. Well one good thing is that I shouldn't have to worry about those two for a few years
Old February 15th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Scot, sounds like your problems come in package lots....always seems to be when $$ is a bit tight too huh?

50° sounds like beach weather brother. It's melting outside right now and we're up to a whopping 39°!!

BTW, I just did a multi-quote in another thread and it worked just fine. Might be something in your cache that needs to be cleared. I did notice that the site was acting weird on the iPad. Couldn't access 'Quick Links" and then "Today's Posts" for quite some time. It kept popping up an add from the links....not the golf links either...

Hmmmm, maybe buy some canned meat like tuna, salmon, ham....you only need a storage place in the basement for them. No refrigeration required. Milk? Don't you have a cow around the neighborhood somewhere??
Old February 15th, 2015, 02:11 PM
"Car"mudgeon

You got that right about the problems pkg. It seems to have bombarded me at the wrong time, that's for sure. But, when is a good time for a freezer and water heater to go out? Cleared my entire cache and I still can't quote or multi-quote Hmm...
Old February 15th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

It's been above 40 most of the day but I just can't get warm. I need to start up the wood stove but I'm not sure if I'm going anywhere still. Even though that thing seals up tight, common sense tells me not to have fire going in the house when I'm not here.

What does anyone know about the Silhouette vans? Those and the Ventures seem to be plentiful and not bad on price. My mother had an Impala with that motor in it. I don't remember it being overly thrifty but it didn't cause us any problems.

Thought we'd take in the dog park today. Got over there and someone was there. My dogs don't do well with other dogs so we didn't go in. That happened last time, too. Ah well, it was nice riding around in the car.

Last night off. Maybe I'll pop in a movie and make some popcorn. I haven't seen Christine in awhile. Of course I've seen it like 80 times.
Old February 15th, 2015, 04:14 PM

What does anyone know about the Silhouette vans? Those and the Ventures seem to be plentiful and not bad on price.
Mike a buddy of mine had both of them, first the Venture, and then the Silhouette, both were good vehicles, and they both had the 3.8L, which is a pretty durable motor.
Old February 16th, 2015, 05:48 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin All,

Do not want to know the temp today!

Scot, good choice for a car...my son will be driving an 07 Mazda..cheap to fix and pretty stable car. I have my water heaters on some type of plan that if anything goes wrong they fix or replace. I have had to use them twice, and got two new ones out of the deal. Costs me 10$ a month.

Allan, is Edmonton affected by the interior mountain ranges...Chinnooks etc. seems like your weather from one extreme to another.justa side note, my sis is moving to Van Island-Victoria- from New Liskeard, in the spring..she has asked me to come out and help...think I will ...

Mike, I had a friend who had a Silhouette, and loved it. Brakes and the rockers rotting were the downfalls. The interior was very comfortable..

Have a Day All....
Old February 16th, 2015, 05:52 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili but de sleet scar was a bust, It may snow up in de mountains on John's new deck.

Here come anutter Monday
Old February 16th, 2015, 06:18 AM
CQR

Mornin all. Sorry about my tardiness. Had to plow early. Only have about 3-4 inches but its wet and heavy.

Mike the vans are ok. The biggest issue with the 3.8l is the plastic intake and the lower intake gaskets. All Gm's have fuel pump issues at about 100K. Otherwise they are normal GM's and interior pieces and switches will break before Ferds stuff dues.

Scot, Sorry about the crap luck. That should be 3 so hopefully its over.

Have a Monday all.
Old February 16th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Back to cold today. The plows are out on the Main Street cleaning the snow that didn't melt. Of course they declared a no Parking ban yesterday but since it's a Provincial holiday here today no one seemed to pay attention. They're in the process of being windowed in.

Won at curling last night. Was a really good game. The other team bought us beer after. Draw 4 of the Scotties starts in about half hour so you know what I'll be watching.

Ted, you're thinking of Calgary that has those micro climate changes. We typically get wind from the NW which keeps things pretty cold. Occasionally we get hit with the Pineapple Express but that's few and far between. Your sister will love the Island climate. The slogan for Victoria population is Newly wed or Nearly Dead. She'll figure that out pretty quick.

Clint, x2 on the plastic lower gasket. It's a pita to change if yer not careful. BTW what happens with the fuel pump? Mine had 180k on it but still had good fuel rail pressure. Maybe I lucked out.

Jim, well at least ya got enough bread an milk ta have French toast fer awhile.