The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2021, 10:30 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Speaking of Shrimp. Buy some of this stuff on line and you can make BBQ [ really not BBQ but that's what they call it] Shrimp exactly like Manales' in the Big easy

Cook it and serve it in a cast iron skillet with French bread to sop [ like south fer soak uo de juices]

As Justine Wilson would say, I guarantee you'll love it

WOW 🤔 Wish we could buy this shrimps in our country.
Old June 16th, 2021, 10:47 AM

As Justine Wilson would say, I guarantee you'll love it
Is that Justin Wilson's daughter?

My favorite saying of his:
"People who know only one way to spell a word are limited".
Old June 16th, 2021, 10:58 AM

Sorry Kenneth Norm has the pole position on correcting my spelling

I'm old blind and have fat fingers
Old June 16th, 2021, 11:08 AM
Running On Empty

38/41
Will try to make some cash in the 5PM 9-hole shootout this evening.
Old June 16th, 2021, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
38/41
Will try to make some cash in the 5PM 9-hole shootout this evening.
Nice round Norm, Good Luck this evening!
Old June 16th, 2021, 04:38 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Was hot today but cooled down nicely. Too bad I have to go to bed now and not enjoy the evening.

Hectic day at work. Went in at 4 only to find the computer system that tracks the wheels was down and we couldn't sign anything until almost 6. The guys kept working, but I had zip to do and had a heck of a time just staying awake. Then it was rush rush all day to get everything signed off. Quite a few people off today, for whatever reasons, so everyone was hopping. I was actually quite irritated most of the day.

So my friend at the credit union didn't do much to ease my tensions. I am trying to refinance my Mom's car and the CU has a great rate going. My friend got everything going, and I said it would be nice to drop Mom's name from everything, since it's my car, but she said no since she has it in Florida and I'm in Georgia she has to be on it. I said bull. Lots of people use the CU that don't live in Georgia. Then she sends us both electronic documents to sign in our email. I said, Mom doesn't do stuff like this, I'll call her this evening and we'll do it together. Oh no we can't wait that long. So I signed mine and while I was out running around this afternoon got an email that the whole thing was canceled because I didn't sign my documents in time. My friend said don't worry, we can send the documents tomorrow. Hell, it will be the same story, I won't be able to get with my Mom until evening. Now my friend is mad because I am irritated. Where's the logic in that? Well, it's a woman there is no logic.

I could eat my weight in shrimp. I love shrimp. One time when I worked on the ramp in Chicago a charter came in, probably a ball club, and there were tons of shrimp left in the galley. I threw the bags and went up stairs for some leftovers. Man I was shoveling them in like there was no tomorrow. The flight attendant said they were deadheading back to Atlanta and ready to leave. I said sure and kept eating. She said really, we are leaving. You can go with if you want. I said uh huh and kept eating. She started closing the door and I almost choked, and ran off the plane with shrimp in both hands.

Two more to go. I'll go in early tomorrow but not Friday. I was going to work inspection with another guy tomorrow but the one guy doing it now had a fit, oh no he's going to finish the week. He likes going home early so he wants to keep doing it. Although he let slip that some time coming up I'll be able to make it up to him. Sorry buddy, I offered and he declined. I'm out.

Ug. I could really use some time off. I'll be off Monday and Tuesday. My sister is having food for me over the weekend and everyone over. That will be fun. I missed her last month when I was there, she and her husband were in Jacksonville.

Okay, have a good evening everyone.

Old June 16th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Running On Empty

Took 1st Place in the 9-Hole Shootout.

Went grocery shopping after the shootout & I was heading to look for the cajun's choice shrimp seasoning mix when I forgot to grab more strawberry shortcake dessert (cake) shells. After I got the cake shells I forgot about the shrimp seasoning until I got home. Next time.

Mike - I was so hoping your story would end with you getting dead-headed on board to ATL. You're too funny.
Old June 16th, 2021, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Took 1st Place in the 9-Hole Shootout.
Norm - YOU DA MAN!!!
Old June 16th, 2021, 07:48 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks. I've been holding my own as of late.
Old June 16th, 2021, 08:01 PM

Mike, I can't believe as many times as you've been back and forth to the red neck Riviera, you've never been to this place

https://www.joepattis.com/Joe-Pattis...ny-Welcome.cfm
Old June 16th, 2021, 08:05 PM

Good evening guys,
Didn't get out to the garage as early as I would have liked to finish up the car detailing. Finished up the wheel cleaning and polishing, and then popped the hood to do a little spot cleaning of the chrome. I got side tracked a little and decided to pull the air cleaner off to adjust the curb idle because it had been idling just a tad lower than I would like. I turned the idle screw an 1/8 of a turn or less, and didn't even start it up to test it, guess I'll see how that goes??? After I got done with that I put the cover back on the car thinking I was done. Duh, I forgot I hadn't polished the front bumper. Well, it was starting to get steamy, and I just thought screw it, I'll do it in the morning.

I'm thinking most of you have probably seen the Missouri personalized license plate on my car that has the Gadsden Flag "Don't Tread On Me" design, and has the plate ID I wanted "442A67". I love the plate and get alot of compliments on it at shows/cruises. Well, my plate renewal is due before the end of July. Car has to have a safety inspection ($25) and a 2-year tab sticker is $75. I decided to look into Missouri Historic plates, and any vehicle over 25-years old qualifies. Get this, to get Historic Vehicle plates for any currently titled and registered vehicle, there is no inspection required, and there is a one time only fee of $36 for as long as you own the car, no annual or biannual renewal. I love my personal plates, but for the cost and convenience of Historic Plates, the personalized plates will make a nice addition to my garage wall art!

I hope everyone had a great day and a relaxing evening!
Old June 16th, 2021, 09:49 PM

Chris, we have something similar with plates for vintage cars, a one time registration fee of $35, which saves money over the long term. I have year correct plates for the '69, and had '71 plates for my previously owned Cutlass Supreme. Historic and antique plates are available as well, but have more restrictions as far as how often the car can be driven and in what capacity (parades etc.).
Old June 17th, 2021, 03:44 AM

As Dan said, the historic plate deal here in Mi is a great deal, that's what I have on the Olds and old truck. Carl had to stay in hospital again overnight so we still have Buster, the dog, such fun... I'm going down to Lansing area to stay overnight with a friend, then about 2 am we are leaving to go to Bowling Green Ky. for the Hot Rod Reunion at Beech Bend Dragway. We plan to be there about noon on Friday and go to the Corvette museum Fri afternoon. Then go to dragstrip all day Saturday. we're just taking his late model SUV, prolly shuda took the Olds. Have a good one guys, hopefully I'll have some pics next time of the vintage Drags..
Old June 17th, 2021, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, we have something similar with plates for vintage cars, a one time registration fee of $35, which saves money over the long term. I have year correct plates for the '69, and had '71 plates for my previously owned Cutlass Supreme. Historic and antique plates are available as well, but have more restrictions as far as how often the car can be driven and in what capacity (parades etc.).
Dan - We also have the option to purchase year correct plates, but I didn't look into the specifics (cost, inspections, etc.) for those, although I do believe there is an additional cost. You can also purchase personalized Historic plates, so I could have asked for the same alpha-numeric plate number I have right now, "442A67", but for a one time fee of $75, I just opted not to. There are minor restrictions on the use of Historic plates. There are no miliage restrictions for use of the car if it is on display or used for educational purposes. So going to shows, cruises, or parades doesn't count against your mileage limit. Personal use (taking momma to DQ) is supposed to be less than a 1000-miles a year, and you're supposed to keep a log book of those personal trips in the glove box and be able to produce it on demand for law enforcement. Probably 95% of my mileage is to/from events where the car is on display, so I'm not worried about the mileage restriction.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 17th, 2021 at 03:57 AM.
Old June 17th, 2021, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
As Dan said, the historic plate deal here in Mi is a great deal, that's what I have on the Olds and old truck. Carl had to stay in hospital again overnight so we still have Buster, the dog, such fun... I'm going down to Lansing area to stay overnight with a friend, then about 2 am we are leaving to go to Bowling Green Ky. for the Hot Rod Reunion at Beech Bend Dragway. We plan to be there about noon on Friday and go to the Corvette museum Fri afternoon. Then go to dragstrip all day Saturday. we're just taking his late model SUV, prolly shuda took the Olds. Have a good one guys, hopefully I'll have some pics next time of the vintage Drags..
Greg - Ya better take take the coolest clothing you have, a hat, and plenty of sunscreen, it's gonna be blistering hot. Still seeing a projected high of anywhere from 101-104 tomorrow here, and 100 on Saturday, I'm guessing Bowling Green will be about the same. I'm planning on entering a car show on Sunday, but it's supposed to be a little cooler then, around 93. Safe travels and I hope the drags are good!

EDIT - ​​​​​I checked the forecast for Bowling Green and I was wrong, it is supposed to be quite a bit cooler (but not cool) than here with highs of 94 and 90 on Fri/Sat. I am seeing 50% chance of thunderstorms on Saturday though, I sure hope you guys miss those!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 17th, 2021 at 04:19 AM.
Old June 17th, 2021, 04:26 AM

Good morning guys,

Absolutely beautiful sunrise from my deck this morning! The Mississippi River bluff is just beyond the distant treeline on the right side of the pics.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old June 17th, 2021, 04:44 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Have a very pleasant road trip.
Old June 17th, 2021, 04:53 AM
Running On Empty

Mike, I can't believe as many times as you've been back and forth to the red neck Riviera, you've never been to this place

https://www.joepattis.com/Joe-Pattis...ny-Welcome.cfm
They even have an on-line section showing you how to dress a fish!
Old June 17th, 2021, 09:52 AM

Greg, safe travels. Chris, nice sunrise.
Old June 17th, 2021, 10:26 AM

Greg, safe travels. Chris, nice sunrise.
Thanks Dan! Been trying to get up earlier the last 4-days to get out to the garage before the heat sets in. This morning was the earliest, it paid off getting to see that sunrise!
Old June 17th, 2021, 12:22 PM
Running On Empty

Laid three courses of brick just before it started raining like a cow on a flat rock. Starter courses are always the most difficult. Should be hopefully a very quick shower & hopefully the mortar remains in tact!!! Then, back to the grind.
Old June 17th, 2021, 12:38 PM

Update, The 2500 4X4 did indeed have a week fuel pump, I was afraid I was gonna get stranded. When my drag racing buddy hauled it off the flat bed naturally it read. 62, the next morning it was at 52. There's something about towing a car that automatically fixes the problem , Naturally I had a full tank of gas but my buddy saved as much as possible and replaced the pump Bonus, the new pump came with a new sending unit so my gas gauge now werks again

Thanks to all for the help

Drove it home a few hours ago and once again ,it's like new [with a few minor blemishes ]
Old June 17th, 2021, 12:42 PM
Running On Empty

James - good deal. New fuel pump, new sending unit & working gauges. What a day!
Old June 17th, 2021, 12:44 PM
Running On Empty

Was sitting in an occluded front and the triple-point passed directly over my tiny town. Should cool down appreciably after this front passes.
Old June 17th, 2021, 12:45 PM

Good deal James, glad you were able to get it fixed without too much trouble!
Old June 17th, 2021, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good deal James, glad you were able to get it fixed without too much trouble!

Chris, I didn't do anything except call Tim, He's a friend and great mechanic. I was covered up with cemetery business this week [ Sometimes ya pray for rain and get a flood] He's a drag racing nut case and has 2 55 Chevys he's going to restore one of these days. he's about my age and has had one of them since he was a kid. He traded a cow for it. One of the last shade trees around. Honest, reasonable and will only do it one way RIGHT
Old June 17th, 2021, 01:40 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Jamesbo I love a happy ending. A friend of mine took the bed off his truck to change the pump, and I've heard of people cutting holes in the bed floor. As usual, the General designs something that is inaccessible and it turns out we need to access it a lot. I had an 01 Silverado years ago, that would just die at random. One time I had to have it towed to my house in the middle of the night for about 75 bucks. I assumed it was the fuel pump. I was partially right. One day I prepared to drop the tank and what do I see, the pump's ground wire is not connected to anything. It would flop around and lose ground and the pump would stop. So I located the stud where it was supposed to go, and attached it securely, no more problem.

Nice today. Hot but not humid. Supposed to get epic rain this weekend. It could stay away from the panhandle if it wanted to, I have a few things planned for outside.

Work went good. Signed the predetermined 20 wheels on overtime, and snoozed along the rest of the day. We finished before 1 and sat until after 2. Our lead went home early, surprise surprise, and the bad lead makes us stay almost to the end. Oh but his guys get to go. Eh, I can't be bothered with what that jerk does.

Norm that would have been a tough one to explain when I showed back up at about 8 the next morning. Not sure the supervisor would have seen the humor in it. One thing we did have to explain, one time a plane came in and overnighted and someone had taken a sharpie and drawn pictures all over the bin on the fiberglass panels. I mean everywhere. It was like the graffiti on bridges. Very ornate, actually pretty cool. We didn't think much of it until the next night. Seems that plane's second or third stop the next day was St. Louis. They saw the pictures and looked up where the plane layed over and called us up and said someone had completely trashed the bin. So we all come in unsuspecting and get blindsided with anger, accusations, etc. We were dumbfounded. We said, we didn't do it, it came in like that. The supervisor said well then why the hell didn't you clean it off? We said because it was really good. He just looked at us. Then the obligatory, well ah the next time ah... ya whatever.

Went and got all the cars registered for another year. Only cost 250. I must have dropped a couple. It will probably be weeks before I get around to all of them to put the stickers on.

Not going in early tomorrow. That extra two hours of sleep will be paramount for when I leave for a long drive after work. I hope someone else goes in, or we will be busy all day on a Friday.

Okay have a good evening everyone. I get to stay up late(r) tonight!

Old June 17th, 2021, 02:33 PM

Indiana has a year of manufacture program, but it is slow and cumbersome and gives no monetary benefit. I pay out the rear to register all my vehicles, and I don't see why as I can only drive one at a time. So, in addition to normal registration, I have to, each year, fill out and sign an affidavit saying it is an old car used for non-primary transportation, and send in one for each car. Then I take the registration when it arrives, put the sticker on the "historic" plate that is issued and goes in the trunk, and (this is the only bright side) leave my YOM tag on the car completely alone.

Chicago has tag tracing tolls on the 294, I am going to see if they can make sense of my 49 year old plate and track me down to pay here in a month or so.
Old June 17th, 2021, 03:08 PM

Hotter than hell here, 98 with a RealFeel of 111 at 1700! Got out to mow about 0930 after the dew burnt off, and got finished around 1130. The heat zapped me pretty good, and I knew I wasn't going to be good for much the rest of the day. Guess this is the precursor for tomorrow and Saturday that are supposed to be 100 or more! Just brutal! Now the high on Sunday is supposed to be around 97, up from the 92 projected 2-days ago. Going to have to seriously think how bad I want to go and sit at a car show Sunday if the projected high holds? Guess I could go and pay the reduced fee just to show the car and stay only as long as I am comfortable.

Mike - Safe travels tomorrow and enjoy the time with your family. Glad you got your cars registered!

Hope everyone has a great evenimg!
Old June 17th, 2021, 04:03 PM
Running On Empty

I've resided here 20 yrs 3 mos. I don't mind the weather when there are no hurricanes. I am not a fan of hurricanes. They require a lot of work.

Old June 17th, 2021, 05:03 PM
Always room for one more

Koda is that generally how the toll road collects tolls these days, or is it for people who don't stop, they read your plates and send you a bill? I used to drive 294 all the time, but I stopped every few miles and threw in 45 cents. It was a couple bucks each way between my house and O'Hare.

Thanks Chris. This is a trip I could make in my sleep. Depending on how long I stay at work tomorrow, I just might. I have a solution to your hot car show problem. Call your friend with the Dart and park next to him again and sit under his canopy.

Greg leaving at 2am? That's the sort of thing I do. Safe trip and have a good time.

Guess what. Time for bed. Tomorrow is going to be a long day. I'm going to try to get a few things together before I go to bed, and see if I can trick Tiger not into thinking we're going somewhere. I should just wait, he'd be a nuisance all night long.

Okay good night everyone.

Old June 17th, 2021, 05:06 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Safe travels have a pleasant stay.
Old June 17th, 2021, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Hotter than hell here, 98 with a RealFeel of 111 at 1700!
We're getting a cold front on Monday that will bring our temps down to 108.

Phoenix breaks daily heat record by hitting 118 degrees Thursday

https://ktar.com/story/4499736/phoen...rees-thursday/
The mercury hit 115 degrees at about 1:30 p.m. and had climbed to 118 around two hours later, according to the National Weather Service.

Last edited by Fun71; June 17th, 2021 at 07:21 PM.
Old June 17th, 2021, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
We're getting a cold front on Monday that will bring our temps down to 108.
Guess I don't have any right to whine and moan, but I'm going to anyway, too damn hot to do squat!!!
Old June 17th, 2021, 08:22 PM

Hey it’s all relative. I grew up on the Gulf Coast where 95 was unbearably hot. Now when I go visit 95 isn’t bad at all, and I’m cold inside with the 72 degree AC the folks there maintain. Just depends upon what you’re accustomed to.

Last edited by Fun71; June 18th, 2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old June 17th, 2021, 10:07 PM

Norm, your temps aren't that much different than they are around here at the moment. Had 81° on the car thermometer on the way home from work @ 11pm. Well, it might be time for a new dentist. I have had a tender spot between a bicuspid and molar on my upper jaw for several months. It has been x rayed during my last two six month check ups, and they say there is nothing there, well, I woke up early this a.m. with a throbbing pain along the gum line, so I get up and have a look in the mirror, bright red and swollen. I call the dentist office, and leave a message, as apparently they were busy. At 11:45 am I call back, yes you need to talk to so and so, and I am put on hold for ten minutes. "I got your earlier message" she says, "I'm just trying to catch up with the doctor to talk with him in between patients, I'll call you back after I talk to him." They close for lunch between 1 and 2pm, I go to work at 1:30. No call before I leave for work. I have my cell with me before work starts, no call back, the phone then goes into my locker, as they are prohibited on the shop floor. My first break is at 5:20 pm, and I checked my messages, they called at 3:50pm, but left no message. They are closed on Fridays. So, 6 1/2 hours pass after I first called them before I get a call back, with no info from them. Fortunately, I took some floss to the area before I left for work (you don't want to know the details) and took a couple of Motrin. I survived. I'll find a new dentist in the mean time Screw them..
Old June 18th, 2021, 02:43 AM

Dan - I hope you can find someone to look at your tooth issue soon! No fun for sure!!!
Old June 18th, 2021, 02:53 AM

Dan, Sounds like an infection that should be addressed immediately Sometimes an antibiotic and knock down the swelling until the cause is determined. If you know anyone with some doxycycline laying around. I'd take it

Good luck. And I would definitely get a new dentist

My main man at the cemetery is on vacation, so I'm having to take up the slack. I can mow for 3 hours but one weed whack for about and hour [ 1 tank of gas] If I start at 6:30 and do an hour a day. It works out fine Kinda like eating and elephant one bite at a time
Old June 18th, 2021, 04:13 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - I went through a similar experience over the past year. Normal x-ray screening @ my dentist's office was unable to reveal anything. Spoke w/ my dentist and we agreed I needed a Cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) x-ray. The cone-beam revealed the issue below the gum line. Long story short my dentist called in a prescription for an antibiotic to abate any possible infection. I eventually had that tooth extracted. My dentist & his staff are excellent. My dentist also lists his personal (home) cell phone number patients can call for emergencies during off hours. His personal emergency (home) phone number is given on his voice mail system. It's unfortunate you're experiencing difficulty. IMO, your dentist should be more proactive with regards to your symptoms and he/she should certainly be prescribing an antibiotic to reduce/eliminate an infection which can become more serious. See if you can find any emergency telephone number for their office so he/she can call in an antibiotic prescription.

Laid four brick courses & incorporated two fence standoffs on one column yesterday. I've been riding a cart while playing golf the past several weeks since working with concrete, pouring the columns & digging holes, etc. is enough exercise for me - walking six miles in 90°F weather isn't my idea of a great time & golf should be fun. That cold front passed by us last night and this new high pressure system is very pleasant, but still I'm riding. Tee time 8:30am. Spank it baby, spank it!

Kenneth - It appears tropical cyclone three is going to make landfall (hopefully) well East of Lake Charles. Your family/friends certainly need a break.
Old June 18th, 2021, 07:28 AM

If a dentist can't work you in, then they suck. New one. My dad would move heaven and earth for his patients.

Mike, I grew up around the Orlando toll system. I think it went like this:

1. Manual toll booths, a buzzer and lots of yelling if you ran it. 1970s
2. Manual toll booth, automatic correct change machines, and the same buzzers 1980s.
3. All the above, plus cameras for violations, and a battery powered transponder that would be hit by a scanner in a special lane that you went through at low speed in the toll plaza, and it would deduct from your account. Early 1990s
4. All that, and that scanner is now in all lanes. Mid 1990s.
5. Transponders now RFID tags. 2000s.
6. Toll plazas rebuilt to be off to the side for cash, main lanes now no-plaza, but go under a scanner gantry for full speed scans. 2010s.
7. Scanners being augmented/replaced/obsoleted by license tag cameras that will bill you heavier if you have no account. 2020.

We used to have hoodlums make the paper by leaning out of rear hatches and holding their hands over the tags to run them and not get tracked. I always wanted to replace our torsion spring plates with a stepper motor that I could flip down for easier gas filling...and other purposes like this.