The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2021, 03:09 PM

Good afternoon guys,
We had a really nice ride and lunch today. The weather was iffy this morning with a 50% chance of some scattered showers between 10 and noon, but we didn't get a drop on us. The cloudy skies in the morning kept the temp down for awhile which was nice. Hot out there right now though, 95 in my garage. Won't be going out to clean the bike anytime soon.

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old July 8th, 2021, 04:00 PM
Always room for one more

Okay Norm, my computer's 10 minute logins are back. In fact this latest one was 12 minutes. I think the ads that are trying to load are jamming it. Or there's so many updates they aren't all playing nice with each other. Is there any way I can delete some of the updates? Or stop the ads from loading?

Glad you had a good ride Chris. Rain hurts.

Think I'll go in tomorrow early. If I didn't then the fat man & co. would think they ran me off. Phuque them. And I'll go in Saturday too. I'm not giving up the gravy for some low class clowns.

Well if I can get this thing to work right I'll be in bed in a few minutes. It's new trick is to not log off. Last time I smacked it like a truck stop *****. Oddly enough it worked. Maybe that was the reason for the 12 minute login. I can see me buying a new computer and this one flinging itself into the lake.

Have a good night everyone.

Old July 8th, 2021, 04:01 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - What operating system do you run?
Old July 8th, 2021, 04:04 PM
Always room for one more

It's Windows 10.
Old July 8th, 2021, 04:09 PM
Running On Empty

If you want me to fix everything on your PC now call me. I'll do a Remote Desktop to your PC (laptop whatever) and drill it down for you. 252-422-6666
Old July 8th, 2021, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Glad you had a good ride Chris. Rain hurts.

Think I'll go in tomorrow early. If I didn't then the fat man & co. would think they ran me off.
Have a good night everyone.
Thanks Mike! Good for you going in if you want the OT, glad you're not letting a couple A-holes run you off!
Old July 8th, 2021, 04:12 PM
Always room for one more

Norm can we do it this weekend? I'm about to hit the sack. Your phone number is four 6's?

Old July 8th, 2021, 04:15 PM
Running On Empty

Sure. I'll provide you with a six number code. You enter the code, then provide me access, then I'll trouble-shoot and fix your computer. Pretty simple. Easy.
Read this - basic description how it works. Find Quick Assist, Launch it when I give you your six number code.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-21f6a9040bf3
Old July 8th, 2021, 04:17 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Norm.

Old July 8th, 2021, 04:32 PM
Running On Empty

Your phone number is four 6's?
Den of the devil's dominion. I wanted a number easy to remember years ago. I wanted 1111 or anything. They said they only had 6666; hell, I didn't even know what that meant until someone told me. I could care less.
Old July 8th, 2021, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Hot out there right now though, 95 in my garage. Won't be going out to clean the bike anytime soon.!
I wish my garage would cool down to 95, then I could get some stuff done.
Old July 8th, 2021, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I wish my garage would cool down to 95, then I could get some stuff done.
Kenneth - I know your's is probably 120, but in my 95 degrees the only thing you're gonna get done is take a bath in your own sweat. No fun, and definitely no good for trying to clean and detail a car or bike if you're sweating all over it. It literally only takes 5-minutes to get soaked if you're doing anything physical.
Old July 8th, 2021, 07:05 PM

Never being one to put my toys away dirty unless I absolutely have to, I just got in from cleaning the bike I rode today. Good as new, now I feel better! Thought I'd show you guys a pic of what the speedo looks like on this bike in low light or in the dark, very retro, reminds me of the neon lights in a vintage jukebox.

Old July 8th, 2021, 11:39 PM

Chris, I agree, vintage radio or jukebox. Looks cool. Way back in 1980, when I had a Yamaha 650 Special, I cleaned it after it cooled down, used a toothbrush to get in between the cooling fins on the heads. Also polished the exhaust every time as well. Guys that I knew who had bikes back then, all had the blue pipes from the exhaust heat, mine never turned blue.
Old July 9th, 2021, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, I agree, vintage radio or jukebox. Looks cool. Way back in 1980, when I had a Yamaha 650 Special, I cleaned it after it cooled down, used a toothbrush to get in between the cooling fins on the heads. Also polished the exhaust every time as well. Guys that I knew who had bikes back then, all had the blue pipes from the exhaust heat, mine never turned blue.
Dan - Thanks Dan. Yamaha 650 Specials were great bikes back in the day (and still are), and would last forever if taken care of. There are guys on the Yamaha forum that have Stratoliner Deluxes like mine above that have put +100K-miles on that 1854cc motor and have never had it rebuilt. Pretty rare for a motorcycle engine, they describe the motor as being bulletproof. Good on you for taking care of your bike like that. I was fortunate to grow up in a middle class family that never missed a meal or lacked any necessity, but there weren't alot of extras either. My parents taught me young to take care of my things and make them last, I'm pretty sure it sunk in. I wish I'd waited until it was totally dark to take the picture of the Speedo. The pic I posted makes it look like the glass is a little cloudy, it's not. There was just enough natural light to get a little glare making the pic look like that.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 9th, 2021 at 04:18 AM.
Old July 9th, 2021, 07:48 AM

Good morning guys,

So, I was thinking this morning about what appears to me as a car vs. motorcycle phenomenon? From what I've observered, we have several regulars on this thread that are very mechanically gifted and I'm interested in your thoughts on this matter. Motorcycle engines come in a wide variety of configurations including: singles; parallel duals, triples, and quads; horizontally opposed; and V-twins to name a few. Most operate at average rpm's significantly higher than our daily drivers and have significantly higher redline limits. Many are only air cooled and run at higher temps for extended periods of time. I had several dirt bikes (100, 125, 250, and 400cc bikes) that I rode and raced in my teens and early 20's. Rode the snot out of them and never had a major internal motor component failure. Never threw a rod or spun a bearing, etc. I do not ride the several road bikes I've had as hard as the dirt bikes, but I do not baby them either, and ride tons of miles at rpm's that would make a passenger car cringe. My question is, how are motorcycle engines able to operate and survive under the high rpm's, temperatures, and abuse, and it seems like car engines can't? Maybe if I had any real statistics pertaing to motorcycle vs. car engine failures, this wouldn't even be a question, but it's just my general observation and gut feeling over the years. Any of you guys have any thoughts on this??? Do motorcycle engine designers, engineer their motors with tighter tolerances, and build them with higher quality components than car engines???
Old July 9th, 2021, 08:43 AM

While better tolerances are an item, it's really because of the size of the engine. A reciprocating engine reciprocates, and the mass of the rotating assembly is getting rotated, but also the pistons are stopping at TDC and BDC and accelerating back through the motion to stop at the other end. As RPM increases, the momentum and kinetic energy inside the engine does as well. There is a part where either the head will lift off and have a violent loss of compression, or a wrist pin will let go, or a piston will break apart, and there will be a rod going through the oil pan (if you're lucky).

High displacement engines can make massive torque, especially high stroke engines. However, that very leverage making the torque means that, at high RPM, mad amounts of horsepower can be made, and sometimes that HP can go places you don't want, and destroy the engine. Many of the Italian sports cars can really, really rev, and they're a V12, but they're not a V12 like a muscle car would think, like a 650 cubic inch 11 liter monster; they're very small cylinders so they can rev high without a lot of forces and are 4 liters and some of displacement. Basically big motorcycle engines. Those supercars burn out at high RPM in first, and they keep it up there in the powerband as they are racing.

Big engines can't rev high without very precise balancing and high quality parts due to the forced involved. Small engines can.
Old July 9th, 2021, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Big engines can't rev high without very precise balancing and high quality parts due to the forced involved. Small engines can.
Koda - Makes perfect sense the way you explained it! In a large displacement V8 it's hard to keep all that moving mass under extreme torque to keep from pulling itself apart without perfect balancing. If I'd thought about it a little more, a more apples to apples comparison would be a small 2.0L 4cyl auto engine vs. the 1.8L in my bike. There are tons of folks that get +200K-miles out of Toyota or Honda 4cyl's when they're properly maintained!
Old July 9th, 2021, 09:46 AM

Chris, my brother had a '75 650 Yamaha (black with gold stripes, remember them?) that he put 122k on it. He later bought a 2002 650, which he claimed was slower, might have to do with the fact that the newer one was loaded with fairings, saddle bags etc. making it heavier w/o much difference in horsepower. he never sold the '75, still resides in his old garage where my nephews live now.
Old July 9th, 2021, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, my brother had a '75 650 Yamaha (black with gold stripes, remember them?) that he put 122k on it. He later bought a 2002 650, which he claimed was slower, might have to do with the fact that the newer one was loaded with fairings, saddle bags etc. making it heavier w/o much difference in horsepower. he never sold the '75, still resides in his old garage where my nephews live now.
Dan - Someone should restore that '75, it would be way cool! It's a shame it's not being used! I honestly don't know when manufacturer's started putting ECU units on bikes that limited performance and helped them meet emissions standards. Maybe the 2002 model was subjected to factory limitations??? The ECU on my Yamaha has been "flashed" to remove all those factory limitations and reprogrammed to optimize performance. Luckily for me, motorcycles are not subjected to emissions testing here in Missouri, only safety inspections.
Old July 9th, 2021, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Kenneth - I know your's is probably 120, but in my 95 degrees the only thing you're gonna get done is take a bath in your own sweat.
Speaking of that, I was gonna jump in the pool when I got home from work yesterday, but the pool water was 95š. I checked it this morning and it had cooled down overnight to 92š. I dunno why I even have that thing.
Old July 9th, 2021, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Speaking of that, I was gonna jump in the pool when I got home from work yesterday, but the pool water was 95š. I checked it this morning and it had cooled down overnight to 92š. I dunno why I even have that thing.
I wonder if you could rig a heat exchanger with it and an incoming water line and get 50% free hot water. I bet Arizona cold water from the tap is fairly warm already.

Old July 9th, 2021, 01:15 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Rain. Odd rain. It was nice when I walked out of work, it was sunny and hot when I got home. Then it clouded up and rained. Then it was sunny, then rain, then sun, now it's been raining for about an hour.

Ah work. Got out pretty early. The one guy called out who was supposed to work in inspection, and the lead asked for volunteers to take his place. I said I'd do it. I'm also going in for overtime tomorrow and I'll work in inspection again. Heck, I have to be there all next week!

Kenneth just jump in with your loofah. It will be a giant bath tub. Maybe you could have a chiller hooked up to it instead of a heater. A friend of mine went out there today to "wake up" a 767 that's been parked for awhile. He was rather surprised that it was 102* when he got off the plane in Phoenix. He's going to be there for 6 days. He says he doesn't like hot weather. Huh, I can't wait to talk to him when he gets back. Of course Atlanta ain't no spring breeze.

Okay gonna get something to eat then call it an evening. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old July 9th, 2021, 03:39 PM

Chris, as a comparison about engine size, RPM's, etc.... The ship I was on in the Navy had 4 Caterpillar V16 Turbo Diesel engines. The main propulsion was diesel/electric, as in generators attached to the engines, then a huge electric motor attached to the propeller shaft. They started at about 300 RPM and ran up to 1225 RPM at the rated speed used all the time. There was no "Goosing" those engines, they would slowly accelerate up to speed using a toggle switch that electrically raised or lowered the throttle position. They were about 18 ft long and the pistons were about 9 or 10 inches in diameter. So when they were at 1225 RPM the load would come and go as needed and you could hear the turbos spool up and temperatures rise, etc. So big engine, low RPM, small engines, higher RPM's.
Old July 9th, 2021, 04:47 PM

A friend of mine went out there today to "wake up" a 767 that's been parked for awhile. He was rather surprised that it was 102* when he got off the plane in Phoenix.
He must have arrived well before noon for the temperature to be that low. It's currently 114šF at 4:45 pm. There's an excessive heat warning in effect until Sunday evening, then it just drops to a regular heat warning (below 110).

But look, there's an "Arizona cold front" coming through that will drop the temperature down to 102 by Friday.

Last edited by Fun71; July 9th, 2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old July 9th, 2021, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, as a comparison about engine size, RPM's, etc.... The ship I was on in the Navy had 4 Caterpillar V16 Turbo Diesel engines. The main propulsion was diesel/electric, as in generators attached to the engines, then a huge electric motor attached to the propeller shaft. They started at about 300 RPM and ran up to 1225 RPM at the rated speed used all the time. There was no "Goosing" those engines, they would slowly accelerate up to speed using a toggle switch that electrically raised or lowered the throttle position. They were about 18 ft long and the pistons were about 9 or 10 inches in diameter. So when they were at 1225 RPM the load would come and go as needed and you could hear the turbos spool up and temperatures rise, etc. So big engine, low RPM, small engines, higher RPM's.
Greg - I get the big engine, low RPM thing now. My next question in the case of your ship would be why not design the drive train of the ship to have diesel engines direct drive the propeller shaft instead of producing electric current to run an electric motor to turn it. Seems like the laws of physics would tell you there has to be lost efficiency if you're using one power source to create another power source to run a secondary motor to turn the propeller shaft??? Just seems like there would be alot of wasted power there???
Old July 9th, 2021, 07:57 PM

Good evening guys,
Well, the cruise-in was kind of a bust from the perspective of car participation. However, it was at an Elks Lodge, so there was beer there which was the saving grace! It was their 1st scheduled one and obviously the word had not got out yet. It was at a nice location, with a huge amount of parking space, but very few nice cars there. I hope it catches on because they are intending to hold it bi-monthly and it's nice to have extra options that are relatively close by. The only car really worth taking a picture of (other than a couple you've already seen at other cruises) was a '63 Dynamic 88 Vert. I talked to the owner of the car for awhile and he told me he has posted pics of it several times throughout the years on CO, and that one of you would probably recognize it.

We're supposed to get rain and thunderstorms throughout the weekend starting later tonight. Hoping we don't have to drug Monty up again,, but it's better than seeing him suffer,

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

'63 Dynamic 88 Vert

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 9th, 2021 at 08:33 PM.
Old July 9th, 2021, 08:09 PM

Speaking of beer, I laid in my supply for the HOCA nationals from the store today. Beer will be drank.
Old July 9th, 2021, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Speaking of beer, I laid in my supply for the HOCA nationals from the store today. Beer will be drank.
Amen to that brother!
Old July 9th, 2021, 11:17 PM

Chris, in regards to the diesel electric on Greg's navy ship, my guess is due to the fact that naval vessels are huge and heavy, with plenty of resistence from plowing through the water, power is needed by the barrel full, aka torque. Torque moves mass, and by using torque multiplication provided by the diesel and elecric motors combined, that is accomplished.
Old July 10th, 2021, 12:39 AM
GCH

Talking about motorcycles , we should wisit a new opened place in Norway soon ,
it,s now possible to cross the border to Norway when we have digital Covid passport
and id. ( for us who donīt work in Norway , many swedes does that )
There is only 20 minutes drive to the border from us. They have over 150 different
motorcycles and repair / paint shop. learning school to be a mc mechanic and more.

A friend of us has restored a lot of english bikes thru the years and the AJS below is
just one of them. In the sixties when i was 6-7 years old i was sitting on the gas tank
in front of my father sitting on a pillow mother have made , the bike was an Huskvarna
-53 two stroke ( beautiful smell and memories) .
Some of my fathers brothers also drove BSA and Triumph,s.

My wife ad i took the 98 for a nice ride in warm weather yesterday , today it,s raining
and they forecast thunder in the evening.

Last edited by GCH; July 10th, 2021 at 12:53 AM.
Old July 10th, 2021, 02:31 AM

did y'all miss me? I had to run my "new" chairs up to the lake and throw some plugs in the 90 Honda [outboard] One plug was toast, Now werking like a champ

Early one morning [before boats chopped up the lake] Some clown had an airboat out. Talk about loud. I've driven a few years ago but don't remember them being sooooooo loud. I guess he was hunting for gators
Old July 10th, 2021, 05:34 AM

--Chris and Dan, It was a 1941 commissioned submarine rescue ship which was like a ocean going tug, USS Florikan ASR 9. Only about 100 ft long and had about 100 man crew. I was a engineman grunt and worked in the Engine room where the 4 Cats were along with pumps, auxiliary boiler, etc. There was a Motor room aft of the engine room which had the big drive electric motor and the power generating engines/ generators. The way it worked for propulsion was when the desired (only 1 or all 4, or whatever) engines were running and warmed up, etc, The propulsion generator(s) were brought on line electrically and as the command came from the pilot house (1/3 forward, etc) it would power the motor, this also allowed for reverse. So the ship could putt around in open calm sea with only one engine or when docking and the most maneuverability was needed all 4 would run or 2 or 3 as needed. Further aft of the motor room was "Shaft Alley" where the shaft from the motor went to the propeller. This was all old school stuff even when I was on it from 76-78. I was later on a Guided Missle Cruiser, USS Horne CG-30 , which was about 500 ft long and had a steam propulsion system which I knew little about.
-- Wow, this all brings back memories. It's funny as I try to explain it I realize I never really understood all the workings. Funny how you change as you mature, now if I was on those ships I would learn all I could about how it worked. Back then I just really didn't care...
Old July 10th, 2021, 07:27 AM

Greg - All I know about the propulsion of naval vessels I learned from Steve McQueen . . . "Main Steam Stop Valve" . . . "Main Steam Stop Valve"!
Old July 10th, 2021, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Talking about motorcycles , we should wisit a new opened place in Norway soon ,it,s now possible to cross the border to Norway when we have digital Covid passport and id. ( for us who donīt work in Norway , many swedes does that )
There is only 20 minutes drive to the border from us. They have over 150 different
motorcycles and repair / paint shop. learning school to be a mc mechanic and

A friend of us has restored a lot of english bikes thru the years and the AJS below is
just one of them. In the sixties when i was 6-7 years old i was sitting on the gas tank
in front of my father sitting on a pillow mother have made , the bike was an Huskvarna
-53 two stroke ( beautiful smell and memories) .
Some of my fathers brothers also drove BSA and Triumph,s.

My wife ad i took the 98 for a nice ride in warm weather yesterday , today it,s raining
and they forecast thunder in the evening.
Glenn - Glad to hear you're doing fine and out enjoying your bikes and car. The new motorcycle shop would be fun to visit. I love the old Triumphs and BSA's, and don't forget the Nortons, they were cool too!
Old July 10th, 2021, 07:36 AM

James - Glad to hear all that was wrong with your outboard was a bad plug! Good deal!
Old July 10th, 2021, 08:28 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Geez I think it's Monday already. We went in for overtime at 4 this morning. Nothing was ready. Nothing was broke down. We had 40 wheels to sign off and it took us until after 10. Now, Saturday is always do and go, and the lead we had today if we could leave 10 minutes before we got there he'd be all for it. But again, these young guys have no sense of urgency. They are content to sit and look at their phones instead of preparing for what needs to be done. I don't get it.

I wasn't going to go to the Awful house because it was too late for any of my friends. But my stomach was growling I stopped to have lunch. Now when noon rolls around I'll be ahead of the game. I knew all the servers and the chef so I had a good time anyway. Glad I stopped.

Gonna do some major house cleaning today and tomorrow. I was telling a guy that I wanted to move and was going to sell my house, and he's been all over me to buy it. I said, you don't want this place it's awful. He says tell me what you want for it. I said, I'd rather you see it when everything is cleared out. He said, you still haven't told me what you want for it. So he insists that he wants to come have a look next week. He can come ahead but there isn't a lot I can do right now.

So Jamesbo how do the chairs look in their new surroundings?

Okay somebody tell me this much. The Saturn had some bad front end parts and the alignment was off and the tires were wearing. I had the front end fixed and an alignment done, but the right front tire continues to wear. There are patches of cord showing in the tread, which is about gone, and the edges are wearing longer and longer. It is noticeable the amount it's worn since I had the work done. Will the tire keep wearing just because it had already started, or do I still have alignment problems?

Gonna get into cleaning mode. Have a good Saturday everyone.

Old July 10th, 2021, 08:35 AM

I think the tire may keep wearing. May want to swap them left to right and see for a few days.

I am off to go get keys copied, then back for more chassis work on H/O.

James, those airboats are large gasoline engine and a prop. Open headers and a nasty propeller can both contribute to noise. It could be drag strip loud. I remember canoeing in the Chockoloskee Bay 25 years ago and a tourist big airboat cruiser went by us. We were in its breeze for 20 min later.
Old July 10th, 2021, 09:00 AM

Koda, The only thing I remember about driving one is if you oversteer. You do a quick 180
Old July 10th, 2021, 09:56 AM
Running On Empty

And they are of various sizes. I’ve seen lots of them including some with fans the size of a jumbo jet engine. Those you can hear at least one mile away.