The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2021, 11:35 AM
Running On Empty

41/43 blah...nine-hole shootout @ 1700 hours...bring home the money honey.
Old June 30th, 2021, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
41/43 blah...nine-hole shootout @ 1700 hours...bring home the money honey.
Good luck Norm!
Old June 30th, 2021, 12:46 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good luck Norm!
Thanks, Chris.

Blistering hot outdoors - chickens are laying omelettes.

Ready for the Italian Beef sandwiches. I'm using Filet Mignon (1.2 lbs Angus Beef Tenderloin) for the beef (as opposed to a top or bottom beef/chuck roast). I've never slow cooked Filet Mignon, but there should be no issues slow cooking in Jamesbo's 'Better Than Bouillon' Seasoned Roasted Beef Base. I just now opened the jar to sample a whiff - pretty heavy-duty beef base, certainly salty enough. I'll follow the label suggestion of 1-1/2 tablespoons for each quart of stock. I think I'll slow cook the beef ~five to six hours in stock, then shred it with a fork for sandwiches.

Accoutrements (Toppings)
Sauteed button mushrooms
Sauteed green pepper slices
Sauteed sweet yellow onion slices
Mt. Olive Mild Banana Pepper Rings
Cracker Barrel Black Ribbon Collection Sharp White Cheddar Cheese

Served on a Crusty French Bread Roll with a dipping bowl of Au Jus

Old June 30th, 2021, 12:55 PM

Norm - The beef sandwiches sure sound good! I went out and mowed in the heat of the day (11 - 1) only because it needed it, and the grass was soaked early, with more rain supposed to show up in about an hour, and then more throughout the evening and tomorrow. It's 91 and about 75% humidity. Came in, cooled off, wiped off, and now I'm in the middle of my lifting workout. Should sleep well tonight!
Old June 30th, 2021, 04:47 PM
Running On Empty

1st Place (37 Gross/34 Net)
Old June 30th, 2021, 06:49 PM
Running On Empty

Most of you probably know B.J. (Billy Joe) Thomas died one month ago. I always admired B.J. As he matured, I always thought his voice matured, as well. Anyways, I love the way B.J. sang Hank Williams.

Old June 30th, 2021, 07:18 PM

1st Place (37 Gross/34 Net)
Great 9-holes Norm, I've said it before but, YOU DA MAN!
Old July 1st, 2021, 03:39 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks. I've racked up some points this season.

I slow-cooked the beef in Au Jus for eight hours last night - turned out a perfect pink. Just finished pulling the beef & will let it soak on low in the slow cooker (uncovered) for a couple hours.

Time to hit the bricks.
Old July 1st, 2021, 04:49 AM

Not much going on here, boy you guys make me hungry. I am doing a low carb diet and it is working, I've always been heavy. Yesterday they resurfaced both roads that go into our side of the lake, so you have to drive on it. I didn't even like driving the F100 on it. I will not be taking out the Olds until it is packed/compressed. They put down a oiley tar like liquid, and then put sharp gravel type stones (chat) over it. It makes a pretty good hard surface after the heat of the sun melts it all in and it gets compacted, but until it is hardened up those sticky pieces of sharp chat will chip your cars paint and also you'll get the tar all over it. Surprising they did it right before the 4th. I hope you guys have a nice Independence day!

Old July 1st, 2021, 05:27 AM

Nice score Norm, Do y'all start out with 19 players

So when do we eat>
Old July 1st, 2021, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Yesterday they resurfaced both roads that go into our side of the lake, so you have to drive on it.
Greg - Around these parts we call that kind of resurfacing "Chip & Seal". In addition to making a mess of your vehicle, it can be very slick and dangerous when it's fresh and you're on a motorcycle. When I plan a long ride on secondary roads I try to check the Missouri Dept of Trans map to see if there is any "resurfacing" going on along my planned route, and if there is, I reroute accordingly. Every once in awhile I'll get caught along a stretch that's just been done and there's nothing I can do but grin and bear it. White knuckle riding for sure!
Old July 1st, 2021, 06:48 AM
Running On Empty

James - We begin with the total number of players signed up. Sometimes 20 other times 40. It’s capped at 40. First, second & third payouts are divided accordingly. Twenty dollar buy-in. Teams are generally 4 person each (depending), sometimes a blind rabbit (uneven team members). Can’t recall: 1st=70%; 2nd=20%; 3rd=10% (?). I honestly can’t recall. All buy-in $$ is payed out in total as pro shop cash credit. Club pays out all skins.
Old July 1st, 2021, 06:51 AM
Running On Empty

Y’all are invited over for an Italian Beef sandwich today ~6:30pm.
Time to butter more bricks.
Old July 1st, 2021, 05:35 PM
Running On Empty

Finished creating an overhanging edged row of bricks for the 1st column cap. Need to fill the void on top of the column, but 99% of the 1st column is done. Thunderstorms predicted all day tomorrow. Zipping around mowing the lawn & a friend I haven't seen in some time pulled into the drive. Spent an hour chatting & catching up. Finished mowing, began sauteing green peppers, onions & mushrooms, ready to prepare a crispy French bread roll & the phone rings. Can I come down (two houses away) - a large limb fell down onto Jean's swing in the backyard. Jean is the widow whose husband George died earlier this year. Her neighbor called me. Reviewed the swing (she sits in each day) & the swing is turned over & a very large limb broke about 30' in the air and put the swing out of commission. I said I'll cut it up & fix the swing this weekend after the storms disappear.

Now.....back to my Italian Beef!
Old July 1st, 2021, 05:46 PM

You're a good neighbor Norm!
Old July 1st, 2021, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
You're a good neighbor Norm!
x2 what Greg said!
Old July 1st, 2021, 05:59 PM
Running On Empty

Thanks guys. It's how I was raised & it's who I am.

James - Phenomenal. This Au Jus is spot-on!

Old July 1st, 2021, 06:52 PM

Thanks guys. It's how I was raised & it's who I am.

James - Phenomenal. This Au Jus is spot-on!

Norm - Exquisito, delicioso!
Old July 1st, 2021, 07:01 PM

Norm - Save room for dessert and head up here. Marie Callender's Cherry Lattice and Breyer's Vaniila Bean, should be cool by the time you get here!

Old July 1st, 2021, 08:02 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - That looks delicious. I haven't eaten any pie for quite some time. A cherry pie is certainly up there on my list of favorites. My Mom made some excellent pies - all from scratch. I don't believe she ever purchased a pie - either frozen ready to bake or otherwise. The absolute top of the list pie for me is a fresh homemade Rhubarb pie. We grew Rhubarb in the garden at home. Fresh out of the oven cooled to room temperature with a big gnarly scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
Old July 1st, 2021, 08:19 PM

Chris - That looks delicious. I haven't eaten any pie for quite some time. A cherry pie is certainly up there on my list of favorites. My Mom made some excellent pies - all from scratch. I don't believe she ever purchased a pie - either frozen ready to bake or otherwise. The absolute top of the list pie for me is a fresh homemade Rhubarb pie. We grew Rhubarb in the garden at home. Fresh out of the oven cooled to room temperature with a big gnarly scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
Norm - We had Rhubarb in our garden. As boys my bother and I used to love to cut a stalk and dip it in a little bowl of sugar and eat it raw. My Mom made Rhubarb and Strawberry/Rhubarb, but neither was one of my top 5. I'd have to say plain Blackberry is my favorite, that's why I like the Razzleberry so much. I can actually make a pretty mean Blackberry from scratch. Cherry is in my top 3 if it has a lot of cherries and has some tartness to it. Marie Callender's Cherry has more tartness than any other frozen pie I've tried. Blueberry is right up there for me too.
Old July 1st, 2021, 10:25 PM

Norm, nice of you to help out your neighbor. The sandwich looks great, I can smell it from here! I like your countertop. I haven't made a pie in awhile. Blueberry, apple, and cherry are the favorites for me, and yes vanilla ice cream is required. I'm glad that I had a mom who was a good cook, learned how to make a couple of things from scratch from her. I wish that I had her split pea soup recipe, it's been ages...with corn bread, yum.

Last edited by 1969w3155; July 1st, 2021 at 10:58 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 01:51 AM

Norm, Glad you enjoyed it

And x 3 for being a good neighbor

Norm My dear departed mother would tell you that you "Raise" chicken, cows, hogs, horses and goats and that you 'Rear" Children

Of course, she was from the city where the Ashley and the Cooper river come together to form the Atlantic ocean/ A city too small to be a country and to large to be an insane asylum

"There's a mouse in the House and there's no doubt about it"
Old July 2nd, 2021, 07:31 AM
Running On Empty

James - I've heard the same expression regarding raising & rearing. However, some might make the case I belong in one of the categories of those which are "raised".
Your Mother was reared in the Charleston (area)? An area (Ashley/Cooper Rivers) very rich in the history of the Queen Anne's Revenge & Edward Teach. They found Queen Anne's Revenge here in Beaufort, NC just after I moved here 21 years ago. It took a long time (~10 years) for the NC Maritime researchers to validate the authenticity of the ship; but, it is in fact Queen Anne's Revenge. Blackbeard and his band of pirates & ships basically owned Charleston harbor during the day.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 07:39 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, Glad you enjoyed it. And x 3 for being a good neighbor.
James - Oh, I definitely enjoyed it - delicious, an excellent Au Jus. Glad you recommended it.

Thanks. Grabbed the chainsaw, tools, hooked up the wagon to the JD @ 7:30am, cut up the limb, hauled the wood debris to the curb & righted the swing by 9:30am. Rain showers now beginning & developing as this front moves through. This front must have moved through ATL yesterday sometime.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 07:49 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Norm, nice of you to help out your neighbor. The sandwich looks great, I can smell it from here! I like your countertop. I haven't made a pie in awhile. Blueberry, apple, and cherry are the favorites for me, and yes vanilla ice cream is required. I'm glad that I had a mom who was a good cook, learned how to make a couple of things from scratch from her. I wish that I had her split pea soup recipe, it's been ages...with corn bread, yum.
Dan - Thanks for the compliments. It's great having parents who cook. Mom was the real cook - she loved cooking & was a good cook. Dad (generally) cooked on Fridays. I was "reared" in a family who didn't eat meat on Fridays. Every single day Mom made homemade dinner & we all ate at the dinner table within 15 minutes after Dad arrived home from work; but, on Fridays, Dad took to the stove. His favorites (to cook) were either Salmon patties or Potato Pancakes. I love Potato Pancakes accompanied with sour cream & apple sauce - yum, yum. I recall Dad also liked to make the gravy for dinner for Mom when we'd have a big gnarly pot roast - he enjoyed making gravy.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 08:33 AM

Norm speaking of Charleston, Did you know the 1st shots of "the recent unpleasantness" were not fired April 12, 1861 [as most history books suggest] at Fort Sumpter but were fire January 9th 1861 when some Citadel Cadets took some cannon shots at The Star of the West a supply ship re supplying the fort
Old July 2nd, 2021, 09:12 AM
Running On Empty

Norm speaking of Charleston, Did you know the 1st shots of "the recent unpleasantness" were not fired April 12, 1861 [as most history books suggest] at Fort Sumpter but were fire January 9th 1861 when some Citadel Cadets took some cannon shots at The Star of the West a supply ship re supplying the fort
James, I finished my history reading for the day. I always enjoy reading up on some history. Wikipedia has the description of The Star of the West correct. I'd have figured you'd know the correct story involving Citadel Cadets. We have Fort Macon here which I always enjoy visiting.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 09:42 AM

Unfortunately for my mom, my dad couldn't cook, he thought that boiling water made him a chef! Speaking of the civil unrest of years gone by, I walked into the lunchroom before work yesterday nad found a copy of "The Civil War Monitor" magazine. No name on it, and I grabbed it for a look see. Didn't have the time to delve into it, but it looks like it covers the history of the civil war. It has my curiosity peaked a bit. Might have to look into it.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 10:59 AM

Good afternoon guys,
My Dad cooked most of our weekly meals because even when he was coaching (which most the time was every sports season) we would beat my Mom home from work and he would start in on dinner. He was a good cook and did a great job on all the usual dinner fare. My Mom would cook and bake on the weekends, and she was excellent at both.

Spent some of the morning running to pick up a furniture piece for my wife, and the other part finishifng up some final prep on my car for my "Car Day" tomorrow. My buddy with the '66 Vette is not going to go to the morning car show, but he is going to meet me in the late afternoon for the cruise-in in DeSoto. It should be a really nice day, the forecast is for sun, a high of 83, low humidity and essentially 0% chance of rain.

I love Civil War history. The best books I've ever seen on it were a Time Life Series, "The History of the Civil War" that was a Christmas present when I was a boy. I think there were 5 large volumes. The best thing about the books were extremely detailed full page dioramas of the battles. For many of the major battles there would be 5 - 10 full page dioramas depicting the changing conditions over the course of however many days the battle lasted. Nothing helps you understand what was occurring during a battle more than a well illustrated picture. I don't know what happened to those books, but I'd sure love to have them today. Might have to have a gander in my parents attic (sister lives there now) next time I get up there.

Hope everyone has a great day and Happy 4th of July weekend!
Old July 2nd, 2021, 11:22 AM

Chris, I like /Shelby Foote's series

Speaking of furniture, Since I have miles of 5/4 board fencing, I always have scraps laying around. I replace both chewed up legs and shot it with rattle can green. One more can and she's ready for a new home in the mountains

Old July 2nd, 2021, 11:26 AM
Running On Empty

James - Good job on the repair/paint. Nice color/finish.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 12:16 PM

James - x2 on the sharp lookin chairs, nice job!
Old July 2nd, 2021, 01:37 PM

Norm, Since you like to cook, I'll share one of my secret inventions

Old July 2nd, 2021, 02:18 PM
Running On Empty

James - Funny stuff. I’ve seen the pant hangar holder used as a recipe holder before. Still, a good idea. It would be no match for 90% of my cookbooks, however.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 04:00 PM
Running On Empty

Where’s Mike? Haven’t heard from Mike since Monday.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 04:19 PM

Where’s Mike? Haven’t heard from Mike since Monday.
Norm - I wouldn't be too worried, I went back and checked, he last posted on Wednesday the 28th, so it's only been 2-days.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 04:50 PM
Running On Empty

What calendar you using? As I said, we haven’t heard from Mike since Monday - which was the 28th.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 05:01 PM

What calendar you using? As I said, we haven’t heard from Mike since Monday - which was the 28th.
Duh, obviously not the right one! Still don't know even know how I miscalculated, and I even graduated from the Bodine school of cyphering! . Now I'm wondering where Mike's at???
Old July 2nd, 2021, 07:55 PM

Norm, Since you like to cook, I'll share one of my secret inventions

I will iron when I must, but I prefer not to do so. My work pants will get me by if I take them from the washer, fluff in the dryer for a few min on air, then hang dry clipped to a pants hanger by the waistband, ie, not folded. They dry, then go into the closet still on the hanger like that till used. Jeans and shorts also go like that, but get removed from hangar when dry, folded, and shelved. Shirts get the same treatment on normal hangers.

We had one guy move to a permanent position from contractor at work, so his replacement is new. One contractor quit because they didn't offer him that despite being there longer, and one girl is not coming back she now says, after maternity leave. They <desperation move> offered her position to the guy quitting, but too little, too late. It seems the thing now for big companies to play fast and loose with people, rapidly promoting people way out of turn with years of experience and skill disregarded for favoritism and other things, and they seem surprised that the people they screw over stop caring about anything other than punching in and punching out on time. Is the sociopath ever surprised when people use his own tricks against him?

Time for some loud rock n roll and a bourbon.