The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2021, 06:44 AM

Chris I don't know if you read about the issue I had with my roof. I was all set to have a new roof put on and pay for it as it was 20 years old and bad. The roofing contractor I ended up using talked me into checking with my house insurance, which I thought was a waste of time. Well I did check and ended up with a complete new roof for the $1000.00 deductible. Since it was a roof leak I would check with them!
Old February 21st, 2021, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris I don't know if you read about the issue I had with my roof. I was all set to have a new roof put on and pay for it as it was 20 years old and bad. The roofing contractor I ended up using talked me into checking with my house insurance, which I thought was a waste of time. Well I did check and ended up with a complete new roof for the $1000.00 deductible. Since it was a roof leak I would check with them!
Greg - Yes, that is a good idea. I need to double check my policy, but I believe I am carrying a $1000 deductible also, it would be a whole helluva lot less than paying for the whole roof. We had a pretty tough hail storm go through last summer and several roofing companies came through to give quotes, but I declined to get one, the procrastinator that I am sometimes, as much as I hate to admit it. Several neighbors elected to have new roofs put on at that time. Now I wish I had at least got a quote and seen what the insurance would do, but I may still be able to get the insurance to cover it,, guess we'll see???
Old February 21st, 2021, 11:44 AM

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B2E2&FORM=VIRE

Fandant taters

My buddy Donny gave me a new tater recipe, I'm gonna give them a try
Old February 21st, 2021, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B2E2&FORM=VIRE

Fandant taters
My buddy Donny gave me a new tater recipe, I'm gonna give them a try
James - Those look good. My wife does something similar, just smaller chunks of tater, and she does them in the Air Fryer. As they are cooking she continues to baste them with liquefied herb butter. They're pretty damned tasty.
Old February 21st, 2021, 03:16 PM

Today was a day of twos for me.

2 pork loins on the grill.
2 dogs washed.
2 yards mowed (1 front / 1 back).
2 garbage disposals worked on (1 removed/ 1 installed).
2 miles walked with the wife.

All done by 2 pm.

Old February 21st, 2021, 03:29 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home a little while ago. Was a nice time yesterday at lunch, my friend was rather surprised that I was there and I got a big hug for it. I don't get to see her near enough and it was nice seeing the whole family as well. Stayed over and left after breakfast.

Was beautiful in central Florida this weekend. Sunny and 60s. Just as I crossed into Georgia this afternoon the thing in the car said 71* . Wonderful. I had turned the furnace off when I left and it was 55 in here. I think the furnace is caught up already.

Gonna find a bite to eat then do some catching up and probably hit the sack early. Hope everyone had a good weekend. Gonna be a short week tomorrow. Have a good evening everyone.

Old February 21st, 2021, 03:37 PM

Can't cut my grass Kenneth, the snow would mess up my lawn mower. Fandant taters and pork loin sounds good. I'll be having center cut pork chops in a bit, along with veggies, garlic bread...and a beer.
Old February 21st, 2021, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Today was a day of twos for me.

2 pork loins on the grill.
2 dogs washed.
2 yards mowed (1 front / 1 back).
2 garbage disposals worked on (1 removed/ 1 installed).
2 miles walked with the wife.

All done by 2 pm.
Kenneth - Boy, those pork loins sure look tasty! Sounds like you had a busy day to say the least.
Old February 21st, 2021, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Got home a little while ago.
Mike - Glad you had a nice time and got home safely!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 21st, 2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old February 21st, 2021, 03:57 PM

Greg, Dan, and Jeff - I know all you guys are quite a ways away from Detroit, but I'm just curious whether any of you have ever taken your Olds over there to participate in the Woodward Dream Cruise, or if not in your Olds, just went over to witness it? My car was driven in it 3 times from 2016 - 2018 before I bought it. The previous owner lived close by there in Warren. I have a few pics the previous owner gave me of the car on Woodward Avenue.
Old February 21st, 2021, 04:32 PM

Chris, I've never been to the dream cruise. I threw some hints at my car buddy, but he wasn't interested. wW've been to The Bricks in Flint a few times. My aunt lived in Ferndale, and told me to come on down, and stay at her place, as it was right near the route (Woodward). I should have taken her up on it. She passed a year and a half ago.
Old February 21st, 2021, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, I've never been to the dream cruise.
Dan - Thanks for the rsvp.. Sorry to hear about the loss of your Aunt. Of course I've only had my car one full season, and most events were canceled due to the Rona, but I did get to participate in a 4th of July parade last summer in a smaller town about 20-mile from us. There was probably about 50 cars and It was a fun time. All the folks lining the parade route really seemed to enjoy watching the cars, and at the end the organizers had a large parking area reserved so the spectators could come up and get a closer look if they wanted to. I'm hoping we all get to do much more of those kinds of things with our cars by at least mid summer!
Old February 22nd, 2021, 05:42 AM

Kenneth Ribs look yummy

Norm, How's de tooth

Mike, Welcome home. Now go get Tiger and buy him a burger at the Aweful House

Misting but soffits finished. Next goes up the batting

Old February 22nd, 2021, 05:42 AM

I have never went to dream cruise, last I heard it was bumper to bumper and no where to park- extremely crowded. We used to go to the classic car show in St Ignace, that was lots of fun and has tamed down some from its rancorous early 2000's shows. But for last 12 years or so have only done the Old US27 Motor Tour which is a blast! Chris, the Olds Homecoming is the best in Lansing in June. You should come you could drive your 442.It would be a blast!
Old February 22nd, 2021, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, the Olds Homecoming is the best in Lansing in June. You should come you could drive your 442.It would be a blast!
Greg - Thanks for the rsvp. I would absolutely love to take my car to the Olds Homecoming, that would be so much fun. I'll be honest though, even though I feel like my car is very sound, I would be somewhat terrified to head out on a +1,200-mile trip in it. Maybe if I have another season of driving it without any issues I'll have a little more confidence in it. The farthest single trip I've taken in it to date was about 150-miles.

I've heard the Woodward Dream Cruise was pretty crowded and packed, I was just curious whether any of you guys had been there. I have a pretty cool pic of my car in front of "Vinsetta Garage" on Woodward Avenue. Vinsetta Garage has the distinction of being the oldest operating garage east of the Mississippi, opening in 1919 and closing in 2010. It catered to the street racing crowd prevalent in Detroit during the 60's and 70's. It has now been reopened as an automotive themed Bar & Grill, carrying on the "Vinsetta Garage" name for future generations.

Old February 22nd, 2021, 07:08 AM

Good morning guys,
Right now it's 40 degrees at 0900, headed towards a high of 50, with full sunshine. Tomorrow we're looking at full sunshine again and a high of 58. We had light rain on and off all afternoon and evening yesterday, and the good news is there was no more roof leakage and the spots in the garage have dried up. I guess we'll see how it holds during the 1st heavy rain where there is some strong wind involved. I'll probably try to get by with it until Spring when repairs are more easily performed, and you can get a better seal with the warmer temperatures.

No big plans for me today. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old February 22nd, 2021, 07:09 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, How's de tooth
James - No tooth issues. Took x3 Percocet, of x8 prescribed (x1 each at 6 hr intervals immediately after extraction) & x2 aspirin @ next interval. No pain at all. Five Percocet on reserve.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - No tooth issues. Took x3 Percocet, of x8 prescribed (x1 each at 6 hr intervals immediately after extraction) & x2 aspirin @ next interval. No pain at all. Five Percocet on reserve.
Norm - Glad to hear you're not in any pain. Hope the healing process continues to go well.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 09:36 AM

Chris, did the previous owner have your car at the Vinsetta, or were you there? The Vinsetta Garage would show up in Autoweek from time to time, when it closed, someone from Autoweek was one of the partners with the chef that turned it into a restaurant. I've been wanting to go there for some time. Greg, I have heard the same thing about Woodward, too crowded, most will say to go during the middle of the week. One of the Olds chapters had a spot that you could reserve as part of their group for $75 per night. I guess if it included a paid cop to keep an eye on the cars during the night, it might be worth it. Frankenmuth is another big one, usually 4-5000 cars there. My buddy was in Grand Blanc to help his son with a home project in the fall of 2019. They finished up at around 5pm, and went over there to check out the cars. The show last until 10pm or so. He was surprised at how mnay cars were still there that late, he said there was no way that you could see them all.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 09:36 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Greg, Dan, and Jeff - I know all you guys are quite a ways away from Detroit, but I'm just curious whether any of you have ever taken your Olds over there to participate in the Woodward Dream Cruise, or if not in your Olds, just went over to witness it? My car was driven in it 3 times from 2016 - 2018 before I bought it. The previous owner lived close by there in Warren. I have a few pics the previous owner gave me of the car on Woodward Avenue.
I have never taken my car to the Dream Cruise, nor gone to it. My wife used to work for GM CCA in marketing/shows & events, so she has been once or twice. Never trusted the cooling system on my car when I was younger and would have had the free time, but now that I have a recored radiator, I am just too lazy to take it down there. Instead, have taken it out during Back to the Bricks thru Grand Blanc and south part of Flint, but never up to downtown Flint where the bulk of the events are held.

I'm hoping to get the car out and about more this spring, as I've been trying to sell it for a while now. Just don't have the time to spend on it, as the summer lake house takes up too much of my free time.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, did the previous owner have your car at the Vinsetta, or were you there?
Dan - The previous owner who lived in Warren had the car there and took the pic. I've never been there. Looks like it would be a cool place to go eat though.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 09:41 AM

Weezer, what I like about Back to the Bricks, is that they have a traveling road show to promote the event. They were here a few years back, and up in Whitehall, where I work, about five years ago. We also had the Power Tour here in back to back years, they came back a second time because we were such good hosts. I was on my feet for seven hours taking pics of the tour cars.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
I have never taken my car to the Dream Cruise, nor gone to it. My wife used to work for GM CCA in marketing/shows & events, so she has been once or twice. Never trusted the cooling system on my car when I was younger and would have had the free time, but now that I have a recored radiator, I am just too lazy to take it down there.
Jeff - Thanks for the rsvp. Funny you mentioned about not trusting cooling systems on these old cars, especially when partipating in parades, or heavy traffic, stop and go, cruise events. My car's restoration was completed in early 2016, which was the first year the previous owner took it to the Dream Cruise. It was very warm that day for Michigan, and he had some trouble keeping it cool even with a brand new 4 core Griffin radiator with centrifugal clutch fan. After that he installed two auxiliary electric fans in front of the radiator operated by toggle switch near the bottom of the dash. Now, even in the +95-degree St. Louis summers, if the temp starts inching up in stop and go traffic, I can just flip the switch and it brings it right down. I'm sure glad he decided to install them!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 22nd, 2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 10:30 AM
Jeff

I did take my car to one of the early Frankenmuth shows, either in 98 or 99. I graduated from a high school in that area, so myself and some friends did the long cruise that stretched several miles into rural areas, at one point we were three cars wide on an 2 lane road. My 64 Starfire vert, a 75 Pontiac Grandville vert, and a 71-ish Cadillac Eldorado vert.

I ate at Vinsetta Garage back in '19. REALLY good food.

Old February 22nd, 2021, 01:11 PM

"Nothing difficult is ever easy"

Got the batting delivered to the job site this morning. We [they] are planning to paint before it's installed. May scuff it up a little before hanging

Went to Casa De pot to get two left hand door locks for the new/old boat house and have them re keyed to match the lake house key

The quick set tumblers are still on the truck and Dan is the only one who knows how to do it

Soooooooooooooooo, I'll go back again tomorrow

Mist turned into a bluebird day
Old February 22nd, 2021, 02:30 PM

James - Momma says, "Door locks are like a box of chocolates, you can't open them without the right key." Or something like that.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 02:56 PM

Good evening guys,
Had to start my truck up today to go pick up a used piece of furniture for one of my wife's future projects. The truck had sat for two full weeks through all of that brutally cold weather. It turned over really strong just like it had a brand new battery in it. That $30 Schumacher solar battery tender I bought really seems to be doing a great job.

It got up up to 55 today, with bright sunshine and it felt like 80. Ninety percent of the snow is gone, except for the areas in the shade. Seems like a whole new world out there, and sure does make a body feel a hell of alot better. Almost March, I can feel Spring around the corner!

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old February 22nd, 2021, 03:42 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from picking up Tiger. We will go to the Awful house for his hamburger tomorrow. I'm less and less enamored with this place it seems every time I go there now. But they are the only game in town. The all night vet we've been to is just too far for regular stuff or boarding.

Work was good. I was at my desk and I passed off half my wheels because they were ones I signed last week when I was in inspection. I did end the day with a respectable 16 wheels signed. I labored over the extra vacation that I was going to have to defer, because I can just feel the company changing some rule and I'll end up losing it. So I took tomorrow and Wednesday off, and also next Wednesday. Whatever is left I will defer and worry about it later. March 4 is my anniversary(27 years!) and I'll get my new vacation.

Chris my truck sits for weeks without me driving it. It seems that every time I take it out it costs me a hundred bucks. It's a thirsty one. The battery in it is a couple years old now and it cranks up slow. I really should take it out more, I may take it to my Mom's this weekend. I might need a truck for a couple projects. One of my favorite games is to buy a new battery for something and start it once, and then let it set for years and the new battery goes bad. I do the same with carburetors. Sometimes I'm not the brightest.

Jamesbo those lights will look cool in the boathouse. So would a Chris Craft Sportsman.

Anyone have an opinion on putting power disc brakes on the front of a 57 Chevy?

Okay have a good evening everyone. Got a few things to do around here.

Old February 22nd, 2021, 04:02 PM

Hi everyone.
March 4 is my anniversary(27 years!) and I'll get my new vacation.

Chris my truck sits for weeks without me driving it.
Mike - 27-years, you're getting up there, congratulations!

Never really had an issue with my battery acting weak (even sitting for weeks at a time) until this winter and the cold weather hit. I know the battery is getting older, but I haven't checked the top to see if it has one of those marker systems denoting when it was installed, and I haven't checked the glove box to see if the purchase paperwork is in there. I'm putting that on my "to do" list for tomorrow, I need to find out how old the damn thing is, even though it seems to be working great now with the battery tender.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 02:17 AM

Jamesbo those lights will look cool in the boathouse. So would a Chris Craft Sportsman.
Mike, It ain't a gonna happen, I'm into LOW maintenance . The farm /cemetery white house, white barns and out buildings and white 4 board fence is like painting seats at a stadium when you finish you just start again round and round

That's why I have vinyl soffits and facia

The only thing I use a brush for in the mountains is to baste BBQ
Old February 23rd, 2021, 04:49 AM

Good morning guys,
I really can't believe I'm saying this, it's 44 degrees at 0630, headed for a projected high of 66 degrees this afternoon. That's just crazy after what we just went through.

My wife has a pedicure appointment with one of her friends later this morning, and while she's out I'm going to work on decoding the "Dead Sea Scrolls", aka a bill from her dentist, vs. EOB's received from our insurance. This task is better done with no one else around, so no one can hear me scream! Surprisingly, I have not forgotten overnight, but I still remember I told Mike I need to try and find out how old the battery is in my truck. Not that I'll probably do anything about it if it's over 5-years old, especially since it seems to be working fine now. I just want to know what to blame it on when it leaves me stranded one of these days. Sounds like a hell of an exciting day doesn't it!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old February 23rd, 2021, 05:12 AM

Almost a heat wave here also, about 20 this morning. Got about 5-6 inches yesterday am, but it was wet and melting. Sopposta get more today. Took a ride with a neighbor yesterday. He went to a long time friends place a few weeks ago and played cards, in conversation he mentioned he was sorta looking for a snowmobile, his pal said he had 2 and a trailer he would give my neighbor! Well neighbor ended up buying two machines and a enclosed trailer for $1000.00! One is a 93 and other is a 87 but both run and trailer is in good shape. Anyway he went on about a 80 mile trip with me yesterday with the 93- no problems! Trailer is worth more than what he paid! Right place at the right time!!
Old February 23rd, 2021, 05:43 AM

Trip # 2 to Casa De pot.

Patel still ain't got a clue and Dan [the manager] doesn't come in until 1:30

This is becoming a full time job
Old February 23rd, 2021, 05:50 AM

Greg - That's a heck of a deal your neighbor got! That must be a pretty good sized enclosed trailer to fit 2 snowmobiles in it. I'd love to have a smaller enclosed trailer to be able to bring one of the motorcycles along on vacations. Haven't seriously been looking for one because we haven't been traveling anyway these days because of the virus, but if the right deal popped up I'd jump on it. Glad you're having plenty of opportunity to get out and enjoy your sled!
Old February 23rd, 2021, 07:36 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Stayed up late, slept in. Slept in means not getting up until 530 to let Tiger out, and then getting back in bed and sleeping two more hours. Just got back from the Awful house.

Pretty day here, and it's going to be fairly warmish. I gotta get a lot done today. Don't know what exactly, but something.

Jamesbo how's Tucker?

Gonna get to it. Wish me luck. Have a good one all.

Old February 23rd, 2021, 11:28 AM

Hey guys,
Well, I couldn't find the purchase paperwork on my truck battery. Next step, looking at the battery itself to see if there's a date. There is a semi-surrounding black cover over the battery itself, held on only by the battery cables over the terminals that poke through the cover. So to see the battery I had to take the cables loose and pull the cover off. I used this as a good opportunity to clean the terminals and connections. There was a purchase date sticker on the top of the battery, May 2017, so it's getting up there, but like I said, no plans to replace it right now since it's starting so well.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 23rd, 2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 12:20 PM

Speaking of heat waves, we're supposed to have a 20º temperature swing today. It was 41º this morning and the forecast high is 80º.

Dang, winter is over already.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Speaking of heat waves, we're supposed to have a 20º temperature swing today. It was 41º this morning and the forecast high is 80º.

Dang, winter is over already.
Kenneth - Did you graduate from the Jethro Bodine school of cyphering? LoL
By my cyphering, 41 to 80 is a 39 degree temperature swing??? Norm's the spelling ****, guess I'm trying my hand at being the math ****.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 01:12 PM

Paint-check
batting -check
doors=check
locks=check

Now for the half round gutters
Old February 23rd, 2021, 01:15 PM

Paint-check
batting -check
doors=check
locks=check