The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2021, 04:13 PM

Good evening guys,

My wife surprised me with a nice little present today, a weather station with both an indoor and outdoor monitoring function (pic). It has several functions including indoor/outdoor temps, humidities, barometric pressure, max/min per time period, and trends for all of those functions. My wife knows I like to know the temp and humidity that's going on in the garage, and that's why she bought it, and that is where I have put the outdoor sensor. My garage is 3/4 drywalled (including ceiling) and insulated, does not have insulated doors, and does not have a major heat source. About 7-years ago I started heating the garage with two 1500W ceramic portable heaters, that are located away from anything flammable, and each one is enclosed in a fireproof enclosure that I constructed from aluminum ductwork. Even if the heater were to short and the heater itself catch on fire, it would be contained, and like I said they are not located near anything flammable anyway. I am not using the heaters as much to heat the space, as I am to reduce the humidity. You will notice in the pic the garage humidity (outdoor reading) was at 44%, and at the time of the pic the actual outside humidity was 78%. The heaters in general only keep the garage 10 - 20 degrees warmer than the outside temp, but it's better than nothing. One of these days I'm going to finish off the garage, insulate the doors, and install a major heat source . . . One of these days?
Hope everyone had a great day!

Old February 27th, 2021, 06:00 AM

Chris don't put it in direct sunlight. I cooked mine
Old February 27th, 2021, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris don't put it in direct sunlight. I cooked mine
James - Thanks for the warning. Both units are out of the direct sunlight, good to know for future reference though.
Old February 27th, 2021, 08:47 AM

Good morning guys,
Beautiful morning here with full sunshine and headed for a high of 60.

Like cars, buying motorcycle accessories, parts or clothing/helmets, is a real racket. Polaris/Indian is especially proud of their clothing/helmet line. I have been wanting a black Indian logo half-helmet to match my bike, but Indian has always been asking double what they're worth. Today I got an Indian email sale advertisement and they had the half-helmet I had been looking at on clearance for more than half off, regularly $99.99 on sale for $47.99, so I jumped on it before they sold out. Yahoo, just what I wanted and a good deal to boot!

Old February 27th, 2021, 09:15 AM

I have a similar weather station as I like to know what the actual temperature in my yard is, not what the NWS station downtown at the airport in the middle of an urban heat island says it is.

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
My garage is 3/4 drywalled (including ceiling) and insulated, does not have insulated doors,
I insulated my garage doors a few years ago and it made a HUGE difference in the summer. There are kits available, but they are kinda spendy, so I used 1" foam board sheets, cut them to fit, and snapped them into the door panels along with some glue to keep them in place. Took a full afternoon to do one 16' double door and one 8' single door. I used an electric carving knife to cut the panels, which worked very well, but if I had to do it again, I'd get an electric hot knife to keep the little styrofoam beads in check.
Old February 27th, 2021, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I insulated my garage doors a few years ago and it made a HUGE difference in the summer. There are kits available, but they are kinda spendy, so I used 1" foam board sheets, cut them to fit, and snapped them into the door panels along with some glue to keep them in place. Took a full afternoon to do one 16' double door and one 8' single door. I used an electric carving knife to cut the panels, which worked very well, but if I had to do it again, I'd get an electric hot knife to keep the little styrofoam beads in check.
Kenneth - Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind when I pull the trigger. I'm definitely thinking about doing it before next winter.
Old February 27th, 2021, 03:23 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Somewhat of a productive day. Started out at Denny's with my Mom's neighbors. Had a nice visit then it was raining when we got home. When it cleared up I started in on the shed some more, got the base brackets screwed down to the base, but it will take two people to do the side panels, so my nephew is going to come over tomorrow and help. Got some visual progress done so that's good.

Really turned into a nice day. There's some sort of pollen or other pestilent in the air that's really kicking my butt. Stuffed up/runny nose, sneezing, coughing. I hate this time of year. Then that yellow $hit comes out and coats everything.

Not sure what's for dinner but it's in the crock pot, so it will be good. Gotta clean up and get ready. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old February 27th, 2021, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
There's some sort of pollen or other pestilent in the air that's really kicking my butt. Stuffed up/runny nose, sneezing, coughing.
Same thing happening with me here today, it was very windy and I finally had to take some allergy meds.

Then that yellow $hit comes out and coats everything.
I am not sure if you are referring to the stuff that come out of the trees or the stuff that comes out of you. Eeeew. Not a pretty mental picture for the latter.
Old February 28th, 2021, 04:45 AM

Foggy this am and about 28. Yesterday was really nice and sunny, got up to maybe 45. Snow melting like crazy. Went over to barn and started removing some rust/old paint on truck, really wasn't feelin it... Oh, I'll get my motivation back, it really feels better when spring is in the air! Wife and I talked about going to the OCA Nats in August. It's about 650 miles to Nashville. You guys goin? We have always wanted to go to the northeast states (Maine,Mass,etc) but with this Covid stuff I dunno... But maybe we should just plan where we plan to go and do it ! Well have a good one, guys!
Old February 28th, 2021, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Wife and I talked about going to the OCA Nats in August. It's about 650 miles to Nashville. You guys goin? We have always wanted to go to the northeast states (Maine,Mass,etc) but with this Covid stuff I dunno... But maybe we should just plan where we plan to go and do it ! Well have a good one, guys!
Greg - Unusually warm here this morning at 58 with light rain. Rain is supposed to quit in about an hour, but it's supposed to stay overcast and get up to about 64. I saw your other post asking about the plan about the OCA Nats. I talked to my wife and she is not really interested, mainly because she does not want to go through the hassle and worry of boarding the dogs.

It's not a bad drive for me, about 400-miles, although I probably won't take my car if I go. I went to Nashville with a buddy in the summer of 2019 to check out several cars at both of the large "Gateway" and "Streetside" Classic Car Dealers there when I was still in the market. The cars turned out to be overpriced crap, but we had a nice time looking at everything they had, and then hitting mainstreet downtown to have a couple cold ones and listen to some country music. Lot's of really cool places to check out. I won't even consider going unless I can get through the whole vaccine regimen, although I can't imagine we all shouldn't be able to get them by then. I'll let you know if I decide to go.

We have an OCA club here in St. Louis, the "Archway Old's" club. As you can imagine almost all of their meetings, and all of their events, were canceled last year. I have been in contact with their President though and told him I am interested in joining when they get back to normal operating conditions. I really don't see it happening until late summer to early fall, but I hope I'm wrong and it's earlier.
Old February 28th, 2021, 06:20 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

First time I've had this thing on all day. Got some surprise help, not only did my nephew come over but so did my bro-in-law. We got quite a bit done but we didn't finish. We either got something wrong or something was misdrilled. Probably the former. I'll still need some help finishing so that will be next time. Eh.

Bahaha Kenneth now that's funny. No, I meant the pine pollen that comes out of the trees. It collects in corners, on ledges, and then when it rains, the pollen doesn't wash away, it turns into paste.

I gotta tell you I'm beat tonight. Gonna hit the sack early because we gotta be up early. So have a good night everyone.

Old February 28th, 2021, 06:43 PM

Yeah, I know what you're talking about, I grew up in pine tree country.
Old March 1st, 2021, 03:21 AM

Mike, I haven't been to a Whataburger in years, Forgot all about them.

Glad you enjoyed it. BUT Pensacola is my town o eat Fresh Shrimp, Oysters etc. Joe Pattis is wonderful Next trip Give it a try. Fresh off the boat

Old March 1st, 2021, 05:49 AM

Good morning guys,
James - Those shrimp look great, I haven't had any fresh seafood in a long time!

The rain has moved out and the cold front has moved in behind it. It was 54 yesterday at this time, today it's 29, headed towards 50, but at least it's sunny.

My wife sold the chest-of-drawers yesterday for $100. We had got it for free, she had about $15 in materials in it, plus her time. Check out the pic of the drop leaf table and 4 chairs she's finishing up, it's really, really sharp, and the picture does not do it justice. I think it's her best effort to date. The entire set was originally just a plain brown wood stain, with tan upholstery on the chair seats. I think she's going to ask $800 for it, and I will be surprised if she doesn't get it. We got the table and chairs for free from someone who was downsizing/moving. It was pretty beat up and my wife performed some real magic on it!

I have no no big plans for today, or really for this week to speak of. One of our dogs is due for his annual rabies/distemper shots on Thursday, and we're going to need to make a Sam's Club run sometime this week, maybe Wednesday.

I hope everyone has a great day and week!

Chest-of-drawers that sold yesterday

Drop leaf table and 4 chairs she's finishing up today

Old March 1st, 2021, 07:38 AM

--Well Chris it looks like a new business opportunity! I think she could sell anything she touches! Sure looks nice. We just ordered a new dresser and two bed stands from a amish store here in Clare. Very good stuff but expensive. If your wifey can find enough quality old furniture and refinish it ,she probably could be busy as long as she wants. Problem seems would be finding old furniture that is not the newer pressed board junk...The stuff we are taking out of our bedroom we probably will give to habitat for humanity. Would be great to give it to you guys but we are too far away.. I'm guessing in St Louis area you should be able to get all you want though...
--Today we are getting "lake effect" snow. Will be nice and sunny one minute and cloudy and a blizzard the next. Comes from lake Michigan not being frozen and cold breezes come across it and pick up humidity and dump it on the land.
Old March 1st, 2021, 07:57 AM

--Well Chris it looks like a new business opportunity! I think she could sell anything she touches! Sure looks nice. We just ordered a new dresser and two bed stands from a amish store here in Clare. Very good stuff but expensive. If your wifey can find enough quality old furniture and refinish it ,she probably could be busy as long as she wants. Problem seems would be finding old furniture that is not the newer pressed board junk...The stuff we are taking out of our bedroom we probably will give to habitat for humanity. Would be great to give it to you guys but we are too far away.. I'm guessing in St Louis area you should be able to get all you want though...
Greg - Thanks for the compliment on my wife's skills, she really does do high quality work. She is very meticulous and quality conscious. Like you mentioned, she is very careful to only buy pieces that are solid wood, no veneers or particle board. She finds more solid wood furniture, either for free or for next to nothing, than we have space for. She has at least 5 or 6 project pieces "in the hopper" right now.

I didn't have it before, but here is a "before picture" of the black and white table and chairs I posted this morning so you can see how dramatic the transformation is!

"Before" pic of the black and white table and chairs that I posted this morning that my wife just finished

Old March 1st, 2021, 08:17 AM

Old March 1st, 2021, 08:26 AM

Either, Ya can't fix stupid, or he's brilliant, you pick em'???
Old March 1st, 2021, 08:31 AM

Too funny, Ok guys I am going to try sending a pic off my new laptop. See if it works....

Ok i'll try another....

Cool!
Old March 1st, 2021, 08:37 AM

This is fun! Oh too ugly!!!
Old March 1st, 2021, 08:53 AM

This is fun! Oh too ugly!!!
By George . . . I think he's got it! Good job!
Old March 1st, 2021, 08:59 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rain this morning, so the shed project is over. We got up early and ran several errands, as well as Awful house.

Greg those are good pictures. Is that Jack or do you have a new buddy? I think whenever I want to post a picture I do it a different way every time. As long as it works...

Jamesbo I heard a story years ago there was a production at the Fox Theater, something southern themed, and the phone company was next door. Some seemingly blond girl dressed as a Southern Belle parked at the phone company in a space marked Southern Bell Only. She got a parking ticket and couldn't understand why, she parked where she was told.

Chris if you're taking orders, I've been looking for a Victorian dresser. High boy looking chest, marble top, single drawers on either side of the top, and mirror. When she's finished take it to my brother across the river and he can bring it to me the next time he goes to Tybee Island.

Guess I'll find something to do inside today. Gonna leave tomorrow morning. Hope everyone has a good day. Happy Monday. Oh geez it's March 1.

Old March 1st, 2021, 10:34 AM

Too funny, Ok guys I am going to try sending a pic off my new laptop. See if it works....

Cool!
Greg - Your dog is pretty, is his name Jack like Mike mentioned?
Old March 1st, 2021, 11:04 AM

Good morning everyone.

Jamesbo I heard a story years ago there was a production at the Fox Theater, something southern themed, and the phone company was next door. Some seemingly blond girl dressed as a Southern Belle parked at the phone company in a space marked Southern Bell Only. She got a parking ticket and couldn't understand why, she parked where she was told.

Chris if you're taking orders, I've been looking for a Victorian dresser. High boy looking chest, marble top, single drawers on either side of the top, and mirror. When she's finished take it to my brother across the river and he can bring it to me the next time he goes to Tybee Island.
Ok, enough with the blond jokes, there are a few of us out here and we aren't all dumb!

Wish we were closer, we'd find you a nice one, and you'd get high quality and a good deal to boot!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 1st, 2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old March 1st, 2021, 02:57 PM

Nawh, that's a old pic of Jack, he was a excellent buddy, but unfortunatally is gone... After this corona crap we are really thinking of getting another dog, I sure miss him....
Old March 1st, 2021, 03:42 PM

Nawh, that's a old pic of Jack, he was a excellent buddy, but unfortunatally is gone... After this corona crap we are really thinking of getting another dog, I sure miss him....
Greg - Sorry to hear he's no longer with us. Truly man's best friend! Hope you find another one just like him some day!
Old March 1st, 2021, 06:31 PM
Always room for one more

Wow just got back from Sonny's. Pretty good barbeque for a chain, and Mom's favorite place. We both got signature sandwiches and they were so good.

I haven't done squat today, due to the rain. Just hung out with my Mom. We've had a really nice visit and Tiger has had a lot of treats. I'm leaving early tomorrow morning for home, gonna make a stop along the way, then need to hit the store and get a few things, one of which is a water heater. That gets done Wednesday.

Okay Chris here's one: Why can't blondes get pregnant? Because blond men are stupid, too.

Yes, I am also blond.

Good picture of Jack. My Mom has a nice picture of Max on the wall with the rest of the family pictures. We got Max when I was 21 and still living at home. I had him at my house for his last several years, he died in 04, at age 16! He was my best dog yet, though Tiger is fast approaching the mark.

Oh me! Long ride home tomorrow. Supposed to be nice at my house the rest of the week. Hope so. Tiger will be looking forward to his big yard to run around in.

Old March 1st, 2021, 06:50 PM

Okay Chris here's one: Why can't blondes get pregnant? Because blond men are stupid, too.

Yes, I am also blond.
Ok, ok, I can let it slide coming from another blond guy. Kinda like I could talk all kind of crap about my brother, but nobody else was going to get away with it! Safe travels going home.
Old March 1st, 2021, 10:46 PM

So, when I got home tonight, I brought in the mail. There's a letter from House Financial Services in Pennsylvania. Enclosed is a folded envelope addressed to me from the United Way., with a note attached saying " Somehow this was delivered to our office in PA-hoping this finally makes it to you!" Signed by the manager. How does a letter with my correct address and zip code, end up in PA? The letter originated from the United Way in PA., which is weird, because my donation was made via payrole deduction at work, and was designated for a charity in Michigan. I tried looking up the business online, in order to thank the manager, but no luck getting their homepage with a list of employee's contact email.
Old March 2nd, 2021, 03:15 AM

RATS, Blonde jokes are out
Old March 2nd, 2021, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
How does a letter with my correct address and zip code, end up in PA?
Dan - I can't answer your specific question. What I can say is we've seen all kinds of crazy crap happen with USPS, and private deliveries (Amazon and UPS) since the pandemic hit. We've had multiple deliveries just disappear into nowhere, or get misrouted to other parts of the country that eventually found their way to us after missing for months. Who knows why???
Old March 2nd, 2021, 06:00 AM

RATS, Blonde jokes are out
Nah, it's ok, keep em coming, we usually don't get them anyway!

Best thing about being blond is it hides all the gray!
Old March 2nd, 2021, 06:13 AM

Chris, glad to hear you are considering going to the Nats in Nashville. You really should, it really is a blast. 400milles really should be doable-take your 442! Really!! Of course only you know if it would be OK for the trip, or maybe it's too much of a hot rod, I don't know... Well I might get it trouble for this, but take a buddy and leave wife at home, that would take care of dog sitting! Lots of times wifes don't really want to go anyway... Anyway keep considering it. Looks like we are out and probably are going on a New England state vacation this year. We have taken two big trips across the country and the only states we haven't been to are in the north east.
Old March 2nd, 2021, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Nah, it's ok, keep em coming, we usually don't get them anyway!

Best thing about being blond is it hides all the gray!
I better not get started. It's kinda like martinis and *****, One isn't enough and three is too many
Old March 2nd, 2021, 06:35 AM

I better not get started. It's kinda like martinis and *****, One isn't enough and three is too many
Too funny!!! Love that one, LOL!
Old March 2nd, 2021, 07:09 AM

Chris, glad to hear you are considering going to the Nats in Nashville. You really should, it really is a blast. 400milles really should be doable-take your 442! Really!! Of course only you know if it would be OK for the trip, or maybe it's too much of a hot rod, I don't know... Well I might get it trouble for this, but take a buddy and leave wife at home, that would take care of dog sitting! Lots of times wifes don't really want to go anyway... Anyway keep considering it. Looks like we are out and probably are going on a New England state vacation this year. We have taken two big trips across the country and the only states we haven't been to are in the north east.
Greg - I've only got to see a small part of the northeastern U.S., it was on a 4-day business trip to Bangor, Maine. Since we were working most of the day, we did not have alot of time for sightseeing, but Arcadia Nat. Park near Bangor was spectacular, and one of the compannie's executives that we were visiting took us on about a 4-hour sailing cruise. It's a beautiful area, with lots of smaller quaint towns.

Definitely still considering going to the OCA Nats. First order of business will be getting vaccinated. Then, in the early summer I may meet some of the folks from the StL OCA club that are going, which would be a plus. I don't think any of my regular car or motorcycle buddies would have alot of interest in an Oldsmobile specific event, but hey, you never know. Anyway, I'm still keen on going, and I know the wife won't care if I go without her.
Old March 2nd, 2021, 09:40 AM

I was blonde until I entered my senior year in high school. Started in the fall blonde, and by spring of the following year it turned light brown. Then it started receding, and then the grey onslaught began.
Old March 2nd, 2021, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I was blonde until I entered my senior year in high school. Started in the fall blonde, and by spring of the following year it turned light brown. Then it started receding, and then the grey onslaught began.
Dan - It's funny how it can do that. My Dad's was blond as a boy, then turned dark brown as a young man and adult, and eventually turned that distinguished looking silver in his later years. I don't think he ever lost a single hair though, it was full and thick until the day he died. Mine on the other hand is starting to thin considerably on the back of the top.
Old March 2nd, 2021, 11:55 AM

I rubbed my off on the head board

Old March 2nd, 2021, 01:03 PM

I rubbed my off on the head board
Yippee-I-O-Ki-A!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 2nd, 2021 at 03:44 PM.