The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2021, 12:18 PM
Jeff

Hey guys... one hour since the shot, no site injection pain to report from the Pfizer vaccine.

My back, on the other hand... not the dumbest way I've thrown out my back, since that distinction belongs to my 21 year old self being too lazy to take both shoes off, instead taking off one to hop across the kitchen to the closet to retrieve the vacuum. See, I had been installing a car stereo, and it was time to vac up all the wire and insulation clippings. As you know, crawling around on your back to install a car stereo involves lots of contortions, especially on a mid-80's F body. Very first hop and my back said, "FAHGEDDABOUTIT!" and I dropped like a stone.
Old March 23rd, 2021, 03:10 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. I retook my test and passed, now I don't have to worry about it for two more years. Maybe by then the program will have changed and I won't have to do it again. Overcast this afternoon but warmish.

Just got back from having the tires rotated on the Dogmobile. I also had a rim off one of my trailers, they dismounted the bad tire and gave me back the rim. I'll take it to work and blast it and paint it then have a new tire put on it. Can I even get a 14.5" tire anymore. I'll have to do some research.

Over the years I've had several VW Busses. I've wanted another one for quite awhile but I'm priced out. Apparently two people with more money than brains bid up one at an auction and now everyone and their brother thinks their Bus is worth big bucks. There's one not too far from me, an hour maybe, that is not terrific but it's -only- 5000. Figured it's worth taking a look. And to think the best one I've owned I bought for 100 and sold for 350. Of course this was 1986.

Okay gonna relax with some TV. Hump Day tomorrow. If only. Have a good evening everyone.

Old March 23rd, 2021, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Hey guys... one hour since the shot, no site injection pain to report from the Pfizer vaccine.
Jeff - Don't know if you've read today's posts or not, but my wife and I got a call this morning to go get our 1st vaccine at 3:30 this afternoon. It's been 3-hours now since we got our shots and neither one of us has any site pain or soreness yet. We got the Moderna vaccine and are supposed to go back in a month. We drove an hour to get them, but it was worth every mile!
Old March 24th, 2021, 04:13 AM

Chris, I'm going today, Did you get a free doughnut ?

This allelomimetic behavior makes me feel like a Lemming
Old March 24th, 2021, 04:47 AM
Running On Empty

James - Thinking of jumping off a cliff?
I get my 2nd stab @ 9:30 am this morning. I wish I had a Krispy Kreme closer than 38 miles I'd be all over a free doughnut. Speaking of which - I've never made doughnuts. Something to consider.

Chris - My 1st stab (x3 weeks ago) was similar to getting a flu shot. I generally get a mild swollen arm for ~16hrs - 18hrs. I wouldn't call it painful - passing a kidney stone is what I'd call painful. I didn't experience any COVID-19 symptoms (that I'm aware of) & I don't suspect I'll develop any COVID-19 symptoms from this 2nd stab (knock-on-wood).

Mild light rain showers along the coast this morning much like normal spring showers as we prepare to move through spring time. The last of my Camellias have bloomed, Trillium is blooming, Daffodils & Jonquils are in bloom, Forsythia has not blossomed but ready to burst, all the Dogwoods are now white, Redbuds have bloomed, Cherry trees are starting to open their blossoms, my Hydrangea are beginning to leaf out & the lawn (centipede) is just now beginning to green-up. I should be able to finish the 2nd coat of paint on the garage after my vaccination if the showers abate, then I'll head to the practice range for a couple hours before playing in the nine-hole shootout @ 5:00pm.
Old March 24th, 2021, 05:11 AM

[QUOTE=Jamesbo;1329135]Chris, I'm going today, Did you get a free doughnut ?
[QUOTE]

No donut unfortunately, only a slightly sore arm this morning.
Old March 24th, 2021, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - My 1st stab (x3 weeks ago) was similar to getting a flu shot. I generally get a mild swollen arm for ~16hrs - 18hrs. I wouldn't call it painful - passing a kidney stone is what I'd call painful. I didn't experience any COVID-19 symptoms (that I'm aware of) & I don't suspect I'll develop any COVID-19 symptoms from this 2nd stab (knock-on-wood).
Norm - Going for your 2nd stab at 3-weeks you must have got the Pfizer. I hope you don't have any symptoms with you needing to play golf today. Both my girls experienced mild to moderate symptoms with that brand on their 2nd shots that lasted for about 24-hours.

Your Spring is definitely ahead of ours, but my Day Lilies are coming up and all the trees are full of buds. Our dogwoods and redbuds have not bloomed yet. I have a good size cherry tree in my front yard that looks like it's going to bloom soon.
Old March 24th, 2021, 05:46 AM

Got my 1st maderna shot last Friday, scheduled for the 2nd one on Apr 9. I had slight soreness at site. During that night I felt bloated after getting up and drinking some water and slight headache on Saturday, but all OK by Sunday. I was positive back in December so I figured there would be no reaction to a vacination since I already had it but I dunno...I have heard others say the 2nd is the worst , we'll see. Looking like spring some here but nothing like flowers and such coming up. Still a little snow where it was plowed up, grass still brown, ice still on lake but clear water on edges. But up to 65 yesterday and looks nice and sunny this morning. Love it! I guess I will put away snowmobiles and take plow off truck soon, though I have seen more than once a snowstorm in early April but it doesn't last if it does.. Won't be long before Olds will come out. Making progress ln truck, all metal work on box, tailgate and running boards is done,still have to fix holes in rear fenders. Then on to filler on repaired parts, then prime repaired areas, then some color around edges and between cab and box, then put back together for the summer. Next winter I plan to do similar to what was done this winter with the front sheet metal. Maybe next year or the year after I can complete and paint the whole outside of truck. Ok, enough hunt and pecking... Take car guys.
Old March 24th, 2021, 09:52 AM

Greg, you got your second shot scheduled closer to your first than I did. I git my first (Moderna) shot last wednesday, but my second shot isn't until April 16th. Go figure. well, did a follow up with the Dr. in regards to the upper G.I. that I had a few weeks ago. Nothing bad to report. But, he would like me to get a colonoscopy as it has been eight years since that last one. They wanted me to get it next Tuesday, but I said " no rush right?" "No rush" was the reply. As I'm just not in the mood for one right at this moment, I got it pushed out to the first week of June. What sucks about getting old, is that I use up my vacation days for this crap.(no pun intended). Jeesh.
Old March 24th, 2021, 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=Dream67Olds442;1329144][QUOTE=Jamesbo;1329135]Chris, I'm going today, Did you get a free doughnut ?

No donut unfortunately, only a slightly sore arm this morning.

Me either but they did give me sum Cheetos and sum chili Fritos with a bottle of water
Old March 24th, 2021, 10:01 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Ask your Dr. to order you a Cologuard.
https://www.cologuard.com/
Old March 24th, 2021, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Greg, you got your second shot scheduled closer to your first than I did. I git my first (Moderna) shot last wednesday, but my second shot isn't until April 16th. Go figure.
Dan - Wife and I got Moderna yesterday and our 2nd is scheduled for April 20th. For the Moderna 28-days between doses is recognized as the optimal interval. The recommended interval for the Pfizer, which is what I'm assuming Greg got, is 21-days. I have no idea why they are different???

***Note - I updated the intervals for the 2 different vaccines, as I had the values incorrectly swapped in my original post.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 24th, 2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old March 24th, 2021, 12:36 PM
Jeff

I had a sore shoulder this morning for about 5 minutes... worked out the soreness pretty quickly. No other side effects. Good to see so many of you other guys getting your shots as well. My 17yo son got his first Pfizer dose on Monday. Last one to get the shot(s) will be the 14yo, hope that Pfizer and/or Moderna get their testing completed and get approval soon.
Old March 24th, 2021, 04:52 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice day today. Warm and sunny. I think rain comes back tomorrow, so my suggestion is we skip tomorrow and go right to Friday.

Rather mundane day at work. Left around 2, nothing exciting. Drove about an hour away to see a Volkswagen after work. A 78 Bus. I haven't had a Bus in years. This one was actually very solid, but it's been setting a long time and the guy had the whole interior apart. It will require hours and hours and much money to get it back on the road. Tiger enjoyed the ride but it turned out to be an exercise in futility.

Gonna hit the sack in a minute. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old March 24th, 2021, 05:53 PM
Running On Empty

...hope that Pfizer and/or Moderna get their testing completed and get approval soon.
Jeff - Both Pfizer and Moderna have completed their respective testing and the current vaccines approved for Emergency Use Authorization employed in the U.S.A. are only the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines so I'm not following what you're saying.
Old March 24th, 2021, 05:55 PM
Running On Empty

Took 1st Place in the nine hole shootout this evening. Took 2nd Place in the nine hole shootout + two skins last week so I'm on the $$ train thus far starting off this year's season.
Old March 24th, 2021, 05:57 PM

Jeff - Both Pfizer and Moderna have completed their respective testing and the current vaccines approved for Emergency Use Authorization employed in the U.S.A. are only the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines so I'm not following what you're saying.
Norm - I believe what he is saying is that the vaccines are only approved to date for individuals 16-years of age and older, or maybe it's 17. In any case, they aren't approved yet for his youngest child who is 14.
Old March 24th, 2021, 06:00 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - I believe what he is saying is that the vaccines are only approved to date for individuals 16-years of age and older, or maybe it's 17. In any case, they aren't approved yet for his youngest child who is 14.
Chris - Uh...doh...yeah right. That went right over the top of my head!
Old March 24th, 2021, 06:00 PM

Took 1st Place in the nine hole shootout this evening. Took 2nd Place in the nine hole shootout + two skins last week so I'm on the $$ train thus far starting off this year's season.
Norm - That's great! You better not take too much of the loot, they'll start pushing you to turn pro!
Old March 25th, 2021, 08:05 AM
Jeff

Chris - Uh...doh...yeah right. That went right over the top of my head!
Yep, Chris is correct. I realized after I posted the comment that it was not entirely clear as to what I meant.

As of right now, Pfizer is the only one approved for 16+. Moderna and J&J is 18+. Still no real timeframe established for when the 12-15 age group will be eligible, as those trials are still in process.
Old March 25th, 2021, 08:18 AM
Running On Empty

Jeff - Yeah, I wasn't following your initial statements until I re-read them - it went right over my head!

I have a very slight tenderness at the injection sight of my 2nd Pfizer injection - less tenderness than the first inoculation. I will say which most everyone will understand makes sense, the longer and faster you can deliver blood to the site of inoculation the faster the tenderness or soreness will dissipate. So, golfing yesterday afternoon certainly helped to further rapidly reduce soreness. I have had no COVID-19 'symptoms' associated with either the first or the second inoculation. Although, it may be a little early to say regarding the 2nd inoculation - we'll see how it plays out.

I've mentioned this elsewhere on this site (but most will or have not regarded any attention to it), the J&J SARS-CoV-2 vaccine is a modified adenovirus vaccine. This vaccine should provide longer term immunity to SARS-CoV-2 than either the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccines (actually, to any other mRNA plasmid vaccine). They're all good, but there exists longer immunogenicity delivered w/ the J&J vaccine (I'll leave it up to anyone else if they care to read up on a adenoviral delivered vaccine).
Old March 25th, 2021, 08:54 AM
Jeff

I've mentioned this elsewhere on this site (but most will or have not regarded any attention to it), the J&J SARS-CoV-2 vaccine is a modified adenovirus vaccine. This vaccine should provide longer term immunity to SARS-CoV-2 than either the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccines (actually, to any other mRNA plasmid vaccine). They're all good, but there exists longer immunogenicity delivered w/ the J&J vaccine (I'll leave it up to anyone else if they care to read up on a adenoviral delivered vaccine).
I recall you posting about that, so I will have to go read up on it now. J&J efficacy is only around 66% from preventing infection, but the longer-lasting immunity is definitely worth noting. I suppose if I was running a news organization, I would insist on publishing / broadcasting this type of info several times per week so that the message gets out to those that need to see it.
Old March 25th, 2021, 09:51 AM

I recall you posting about that, so I will have to go read up on it now. J&J efficacy is only around 66% from preventing infection, but the longer-lasting immunity is definitely worth noting. I suppose if I was running a news organization, I would insist on publishing / broadcasting this type of info several times per week so that the message gets out to those that need to see it.
Jeff - Although in the trials the J&J was only 66% (I heard and read 74%???) effective against preventing infection, the saving grace was it was 100% effective in the prevention of severe illness and hospitalization. I was hoping to get either the Pfizer or Moderna, despite the 2 shot regimen, but I would have gladly taken the J&J if it was the 1st one offered to me. Just my 2 cents.
Old March 25th, 2021, 09:51 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - The issue is often times the journalists do not have sufficient scientific background to deliver these messages. They sell to the least common denominator.
Old March 25th, 2021, 09:58 AM

Chris - The issue is often times the journalists do not have sufficient scientific background to deliver these messages. They sell to the least common denominator.
Norm - The information/feedback I'm relying on and reporting above is coming directly from the CDC and FDA in their reporting of their review/approval of the Emergcy Use Authorization for the drugs.
Old March 25th, 2021, 10:19 AM
Running On Empty

Norm - The information/feedback I'm relying on and reporting above is coming directly from the CDC and FDA in their reporting of their review/approval of the Emergcy Use Authorization for the drugs.
Chris - OK, the majority of people know this.
Old March 25th, 2021, 11:01 AM
Running On Empty

I believe we’re ensuing in a disconnect here. The difference between an adenoviral vector (J&J) and the mRNA plasmid vectors (Pfizer & Moderna) have everything to do with short-term vs. long-term immunogenicity. The CDC (at the surface level) reports on efficacy. Journalists (99%) aren’t reporting on modes of replication of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein contained in each type vaccine. Efficacy (in particular at this stage of the pandemic) has little significance to the general population. Efficacy as measured by an immunologist had everything to do with replication of the spike protein both short-term and long-term. That is why it is critically important to differentiate between a mRNA plasmid vectored vaccine and a adrenoviral vectored vaccine. As stated, anyone interested in the difference can look this up on their own.
Old March 25th, 2021, 11:06 AM
Jeff

Chris, my wife was actually scheduled to get the Pfizer vaccine on the 19th, but the school administration called her on the 15th and said they could get her the J&J that morning. So, she opted to get the J&J. Either way is a good decision, there are definite advantages of one vs the other. Michigan has skyrocketing hospitalizations again, and in the 30-39 and 40-49 age groups not previously seen at such high levels. I'm glad that our school is now on spring break, lessens the exposure risk for the boys for the next week.
Old March 25th, 2021, 11:39 AM

Norm - Thanks for having the patience to continue to educate us on the scientific truths and differences between the vaccines and how they work. Much appreciated!

Jeff - I'm glad your wife was able to get her vaccine. She did just what I previously said I would do, and that's to get the first one I could get my hands on. It's so nice to hear most of the regulars on this thread are getting vaccinated to protect themselves, their family, and their friends. A bunch of smart cookies!
Old March 25th, 2021, 11:45 AM
Running On Empty

I have to get moving along - dentist appointment for which I'm riding the Indian - so, I need to get a move on.

Here the best article I can find in layman's terms on the delta between an adrenoviral (DNA) vaccine and mRNA plasmid vaccines. If you read and comprehend this article you'll understand why an adrenoviral vectored vaccine has greater long-term benefit than an mRNA plasmid vaccine. How long the immunogenicity remains w/in a patient's immune system for both types of vaccines is yet an unknown - but, comparing apples to apples the adrenoviral vaccine will outlast the mRNA plasmid vaccines since adreoviral vaccines replicate w/in our cells while the mRNA plasmid vaccines do not. TTYL

How mRNA and adenovirus vaccines work

Old March 25th, 2021, 01:29 PM
Running On Empty

All good. I had a crown come off a tooth. Think I’ll stop by the club for some eats
since no rain in sight & the weather is cooperating.
Old March 25th, 2021, 02:02 PM

All good. I had a crown come off a tooth. Think I’ll stop by the club for some eats
since no rain in sight & the weather is cooperating.
Norm - Glad the crown just came loose and was not broken! I haven't read the vaccine article yet. In the process of selling a large (36" wide x 24" diameter) tow behind lawn roller that I haven't used since I moved into this house (12-years ago). My yard here is not big enough to need it. When I had acreage I used to use it to keep mole trails tamped down until I could kill them. I'm really trying to get rid of crap that hasn't been used in years, asking my kids first if they would ever use it.
Old March 25th, 2021, 03:03 PM

In the process of selling a large (36" wide x 24" diameter) tow behind lawn roller that I haven't used since I moved into this house (12-years ago).
Well, the guy came to buy the roller and he tried to low ball me claiming he didn't have time to stop by the ATM on his way here. I'm asking $70 and he offered me $50, claiming it was every cent in his wallet. The roller is already in better condition and priced lower than any of the others out there. I said nope, you ain't getting it for $50. He asked about our availability and said he may contact us this weekend. I told my wife I'm not taking a cent less than $70 from that dude. I would have went down to $65, or maybe even $60, but now this guy ain't getting it for a penny less than $70!
Old March 25th, 2021, 03:23 PM
Running On Empty

You should have told him he should have stopped at the ATM.
Old March 25th, 2021, 03:28 PM

You should have told him he should have stopped at the ATM.
I told the guy there was an ATM close by just up on the corner less than a 1/2-mile away. He said he didn't want to have to pay a fee, ya right! All he wanted was to commit a robbery.
Old March 25th, 2021, 03:35 PM
Running On Empty

It's Phuque-tards like him I become nervous. I pay close attention to 'what' they're looking at & the type of conversation they engage in with me. One never knows when one of these Phuque-tards is more interested in 'scoping' out your house, your garage, your demeanor, your build, your attitude etc. etc. all the while having other intentions later down the road. I hate 'em.
Old March 25th, 2021, 04:03 PM

It's Phuque-tards like him I become nervous.
Norm - I agree with everything you said! We don't let anyone in the house, we either have the sale object in the garage or on the front porch. However, in the garage they can see the two bikes, the 4-4-2, and my tool chests, although the bikes and car are covered. When he asked about our availability, my reply was, we're always home. I think from now on I'm prominently going to display a piece on my waist.
Old March 25th, 2021, 04:10 PM
Running On Empty

One modestly large Acorn Squash yields ~4 cups baked squash. Two loaves of Cinnamon Spice bread requires 2 cups Acorn Squash. I have 2 cups Acorn Squash under Saran Wrap in the refrigerator. Think I'll bake another couple loaves.
Old March 25th, 2021, 04:18 PM

Norm - Sounds like a good idea to bake some more bread. I love baked Acorn Squash. I bake them in halves with a heaping amount of butter and brown sugar in the middle, along with a giant meatball of country sausage.
Old March 25th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - That's how my Dad always liked his Acorn Squash and the way I was raised to like it although I've found many other useful means of employing Acorn Squash over the years. To my Cinnamon & Spice Bread I always add fresh cut-up walnuts which really adds to the punch of the bread. I happen to have a 1/2 pint of blueberries and I'm going to add some blueberries to these two loaves for an additional 'burst' of pizazz.