The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2021, 06:14 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - They are different URL links. You may need to refresh your Browser.
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...288455080.html
https://greensboro.craigslist.org/pt...290965029.html
Old April 1st, 2021, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - They are different URL links. You may need to refresh your Browser.
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...288455080.html
https://greensboro.craigslist.org/pt...290965029.html
Norm - Thanks, I was going straight from the 1st link of the car in NC, to the 2nd link of the car in CA, and like you said my brower was not refreshing and it kept going to the NC car. Thanks.
Old April 1st, 2021, 12:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

The day seemed to drag on even though we got out by noon. Went to the Awful house and had a nice visit with some guys I don't get to see very often. Now it's time to pack up and hit the road.

It's beautiful out, but cold and windy. It will be a nice day for a long drive. I could have come home and gotten gone and missed all the afternoon traffic, but no I'm not that smart. Now I'll get stuck in traffic and my head will explode. Eh, maybe not.

Norm I love my Valiants. Not a huge fan of the early cars but the wagons are cool. Almost deco in their design. My favorites are the 68s. I have a 60(The Road Toad) and it's a 3 speed on the floor. I told the guy when I bought it, I'm excited that it's a stick shifter, but I hate that I'm missing out on the push buttons. Ah but guess what, my Imperial is push buttons!

Chris how funny about Fenway Park. Yes there is lots to do in Chicago. I miss going there. Used to be I could just jump on the expressway and be there in 30 minutes. My kind of town...

I guess I better git to gittin' . I learned that I don't start getting things together until it's actually time to leave. Tiger gets all crazy and thinks we're going right then. If I put some stuff together and then stop, he doesn't understand that we aren't going and it stresses him out. Then he won't leave me alone and runs around and whines so why put him through all that. And me. This way he figures out we're leaving and he's excited and we leave and he's okay.

So have a good afternoon everyone. How nice that we get an extra day off this weekend.

Old April 1st, 2021, 12:26 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I don't recall which model it was, but my Mom had a Dodge or Plymouth with the dashboard push-button transmission & she also had a Rambler with the dashboard push-button transmission after she sold the Dodge or Plymouth. This would have been around 1961 or 1962 for the Dodge or Plymouth. I think the Rambler was a early year model somewhere around 1961 since I remember getting to drive it in 1967. Those push-buttons transmissions were crazy. I don't know, do people still refer to Mopar as Dodge-Chrysler-Plymouth? That's how we used to refer to them more-or-less kinda-sorta like Ford-Lincoln-Mercury back in the day. There wasn't one single thing I disliked about cruising (walking, bus, or otherwise) around Chicago back in the 1960s. I've been to every site most likely six to twelve times if not more: Museum of Science & Industry, Shedd Aquarium, Planetarium, Natural History Museum, Art Museum, Prudential Building, Grant Park, Old Town, Catfish Row (Sheridan Street), Navy Pier...oh my, I'm getting lost in nostalgia now.
Old April 1st, 2021, 02:51 PM

I've been to every site most likely six to twelve times if not more: Museum of Science & Industry, Shedd Aquarium, Planetarium, Natural History Museum, Art Museum, Prudential Building, Grant Park, Old Town, Catfish Row (Sheridan Street), Navy Pier...oh my, I'm getting lost in nostalgia now.
Norm - Have you seen the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness" about the building of the Tsavo River RR bridge in Kenya and the man-eating lions? One of my favorite movies. The stuffed lions are in the Natural History museum in Chicago.
Old April 1st, 2021, 10:29 PM

Norm - Have you seen the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness" about the building of the Tsavo River RR bridge in Kenya and the man-eating lions? One of my favorite movies. The stuffed lions are in the Natural History museum in Chicago.
I've seen this movie myself, when it first came out, then about a month ago I pulled it up to watch on demand. a good movie. Norm, what's your take on the J&J vaccine mix up, where they had to get rid of 15 million doses because it was mixed with some of the Astra Zeneca vaccine? Where are the safe guard and quality protocols?
Old April 1st, 2021, 11:07 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - It appears from what I have read there were quality control measures in place and this error was identified via quality control protocols. At least that’s what I have read. The fact it was identified demonstrates there was quality control somewhere in the manufacturing process otherwise how would it not have been identified? I think it was identified by J&J and reported to the FDA. Reading the history of poor safety standards inside Emergent Solutions is quite disturbing. Makes me wonder why J&J would have contracted with Emergent. They’re (J&J & Emergent) going to pay heavily for this SNAFU. Shaking my head....
Old April 2nd, 2021, 03:57 AM

Good morning guys,
Just plain cold this morning at 25 degrees at 0530, with a projected high of 55. Hopefully the last gasp of winter. I did not cover any plants last night and I'm hoping they're all ok. I've been waiting for my cherry tree to come out in full bloom any day now, and I'm hoping that still happens and that the unopened buds were not killed. Supposed to be beautiful and 70 tomorrow, and 75 on Sunday.

No big plans for today other than I need to run a few local errands. I'm going to try and get those done this morning and probably mow this afternoon. Could put the mowing off another day or two, but with the nicer weather over the weekend I'm going to ride at least one day and I may take the 4-4-2 to a large car show on Sunday. I promised a buddy I'd let him know about the car show sometime today and I just can't seem to make up my mind on whether I want to go. It's about an hour's drive away.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old April 2nd, 2021, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good morning guys,
Just plain cold this morning at 25 degrees at 0530, with a projected high of 55. Hopefully the last gasp of winter. I did not cover any plants last night and I'm hoping they're all ok. I've been waiting for my cherry tree to come out in full bloom any day now, and I'm hoping that still happens and that the unopened buds were not killed. Supposed to be beautiful and 70 tomorrow, and 75 on Sunday.
That sounds very nice compared to what's in the forecast here.

Old April 2nd, 2021, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
That sounds very nice compared to what's in the forecast here.

Kenneth - I agree with you 100%, those are mid-summer temps for us, I would not like having it that hot, this early!
Old April 2nd, 2021, 09:21 AM

Happy Good Friday everyone!!! Hopefully, such a lovely weekend that every olds sees some sunshine!!
Old April 2nd, 2021, 10:49 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Had a nice ride down here yesterday. Traffic through Atlanta wasn't so bad but it was heavy all the way down to the state line. Strange taking that trip in the dark.

Sunny here but cold. About the same as up home. I'm going to run an errand with my sister this afternoon then tomorrow work in the yard. Hope we can all get together some time over the weekend.

Norm I love all those places. The Museum of Science and Industry were installing the 727 when I was in A&P school and I followed the progress. Went to the museum and took a "tour" of the plane while it was still on the ground. The little girl giving the tour knew nothing about what she was showing us and I knew everything she was talking about. In fact she asked the group, does anyone know what color the black box is? I said orange. Everyone laughed. She said no, it's really orange.

I saw The Ghost and the Darkness. Very good movie except Val Kilmer loses his British accent when he yells. I've seen the lions at the Field museum. Very cool.

Chris I think you should go to the car show. Then post some pictures so the rest of us can live vicariously. Have a good ride.

Okay my sister is here. My sister who is always late and is now staring at me because I'm delaying her. So see ya. Can't keep -her- waiting.

Old April 2nd, 2021, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
Chris I think you should go to the car show. Then post some pictures so the rest of us can live vicariously. Have a good ride.
Good evening guys,

Mike - I decided I'm not going to the car show. Just not feeling it yet. There are going to be dozens of shows this summer that are closer to me. You'll get sick of me posting car show pics . . . LoL

Turned out to be a much busier day than I had planned. Ran my errands between 9 and about 10:30. When I got home my wife informed me she had bought a new project, a table, 6-chairs, and a 2-piece hutch, and asked if I could take her to go get it. It was not too far away, but there was no way we were getting all that in my 6&1/2 ft bed truck, that has a cap on it, without making 2 trips. We were barely able to get it all in 2 trips, and then there was all the unloading and getting it down to her shop in the basement. Thank goodness we have a walkout basement.

Well, the furniture plans set the rest of my day back about 3-hours. Then I did my daily workout and then went out and mowed. I'm pooped! Going to definitely ride somewhere tomorrow. Maybe just get on the bike and ride to someplace crazy like Memphis!

Hope everyone has a nice Easter weekend!
Old April 2nd, 2021, 06:22 PM
Always room for one more

Go ahead and post all the pictures you want. My favorites are always the Chryslers...

Went to the Home Depot with my sister and got a new back door ordered for my Mom's house. They are coming next week to measure and then a couple days later put it in. Should be nice.

08 where is Richmond? I grew up in Illinois about 10 miles from the state line near Northwest Indiana. I was in Dyer and Schererville all the time.

My Mom is in love with Sonny's new rib sandwich, so we went there for dinner. I had their special Cuban. Man that is some good eatin'. I think I gain 5 pounds every time I'm here. We go out a lot and Mom makes lots of stuff and then I bring a lot of stuff home. No wonder I'm fat.

Oh and it's time for ice cream. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old April 2nd, 2021, 06:29 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I sure do enjoy a good Cuban sandwich. I haven't had one for some time. Maybe I need to think about picking up the fixin's & making some. Sounds like you're enjoying yourself.
Old April 2nd, 2021, 06:32 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
...where is Richmond?
Mike - East of Indianapolis on I-70 (between Indianapolis and Dayton, OH)

https://goo.gl/maps/jewAhvCrGoNLm1tB9
Old April 2nd, 2021, 06:55 PM
Running On Empty

I was deleting photos/videos & general files from my iPhone (to better maintain storage capacity) when it dawned on me I forgot to post my favorite Valentine's Day commercial on Valentine's Day this year. I apologize for my forgetfulness.

Old April 3rd, 2021, 12:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Absolutely stellar day out here in the Panhandle. My brother in law and my nephew were over this morning and we finished the shed. OMG!! What a piece of junk. Well, it was the cheepest(and cheapest) there was but I would have been better off getting a better one, and had a better finished product. However it will serve its purpose and with constant tweaking it will be fine. This afternoon I can clean up and sort through the extra screws and probably start moving stuff out there.

Mom is making me an apple pie. It doesn't get any better than that.

See ya.

Old April 3rd, 2021, 05:23 PM

Damn, just received some bad news. My niece and her husband were in a bad motorcycle accident. Not sure of his status, as he was taken to Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids, Mi. , and she is here in Muskegon. She has a broken back and neck, not sure if she is paralyzed, and a ruptured spleen. Unable to go to either hospital due to covid restrictions. Hopefully I will get info from her mom tomorrow. Also concerned as they took him to Spectrum, rather than at Mercy health here. That usually means that Mercy may not have been equipped to handle his injuries. Take care guys.
Old April 3rd, 2021, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Damn, just received some bad news. My niece and her husband were in a bad motorcycle accident. Not sure of his status, as he was taken to Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids, Mi. , and she is here in Muskegon. She has a broken back and neck, not sure if she is paralyzed, and a ruptured spleen. Unable to go to either hospital due to covid restrictions. Hopefully I will get info from her mom tomorrow. Also concerned as they took him to Spectrum, rather than at Mercy health here. That usually means that Mercy may not have been equipped to handle his injuries. Take care guys.
Dan - So sorry to hear of that horrible news. My thoughts and prayers tonight will be for them and your entire family, and that they both make a full recovery. When I hear this particular type of news it hits really close to home for me, I was out riding all day today.
Old April 3rd, 2021, 05:38 PM

Good evening guys,
I will just say it was a beautiful day here around St. Louis with a high of 74, and that I had a nice long ride with my neighbor down the street. Right now I am just sick about the news of Dan's niece's and her husband's motorcycle accident.
Old April 3rd, 2021, 05:46 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Very sorry to hear the news regarding your niece & her husband. I do hope things turn out for the best for them both.
Old April 3rd, 2021, 07:53 PM

Better news guys. What my nephew first reported was erroneous. Whew. My niece has a fractured vertebra and clavicle, and no neck fracture. She is not in intensive care, but will be hospitalized for a few days. She went off the bike and hit a stop sign. I still have no info on her husband, other than that he is not in intensive care either, and that he too will be in the hospital for a few days.. I do not know any of his family, so I can only get info from my nephew. Thanks for the kind words.
Old April 3rd, 2021, 08:14 PM

Dan - That certainly is good news!
Old April 3rd, 2021, 08:43 PM
Running On Empty

Yes, the news is much better. Hope all turns out for the best.
Old April 4th, 2021, 03:26 AM

Dan, So sorry for the accident, I'll keep them in my prayers

He is risen

Mike, Me thinks the brass at the BIG D needs a blue back speller to help them learn to read
Old April 4th, 2021, 05:14 AM

Dan, sounds better than at first but still a terrible thing to happen, I hope both heal quickly. So amazing how fast accidents can happen!
Yesterday I went with some buddies to a swap meet at the old Onanadaga Dragway. I went there with my Dad as a kid, I saw what I believe was the original consession stand, amazing how seeing those old things sure brings back foggy memories! It was huge and a lot of fun. But all I bought was a 3/4 combination wrench and some peg board hooks. But had a great time with my buddies, kinda like old times. I ran into the fella that bought my 70 Vista, he hasn't done anything to it since he bought it from me ! He has a real nice 72Vista also and some other old cars.
Happy Easter all! Looks like we are going over to some friends for Easter dinner later today, that will be nice. Things are coming along good on the truck, all the metal work is done and about half of the filler. I need to finish the filler and reprime the bare metal spots and then I can spray some color, then reassemble for the summer. I sort of mangled up my left index and middle finger using the DA sander, somehow hit the rotating assembly and they bled like a stuck hog! but they are healing up.
Norm, I was in basic (Navy) training at Great Lakes Naval Station as a 19 year old and some buddies and I took the train to Chicago and saw some of the places you mention. As they say, a good place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there... Take care guys!
Old April 4th, 2021, 05:27 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - My Dad did his basic training at Great Lakes Naval Station prior to shipping out for WWII. Dad was born in St. Marie, IL (Southern Illinois) & when he was called up for WWII he was still living in St. Marie. When he returned after WWII he took a job with Illinois Bell Telephone Company (AT&T) in Chicago, met my Mom (a switch board operator for Illinois Bell Telephone Company) in Chicago. They settled on the South Side of Chicago for about five years before moving to the suburbs (Elgin, IL). Speaking of a Vista Cruiser I was looking at a really nice one on some website yesterday and remember those wagons really well such nice cars.

I am so hoping this stupid weather is over. It got very cold for spring weather here the past several days and I believe we got a fast frost - not a deep freeze, the temps hovered at 30°F - 33°F a couple nights. My Hydrangeas may have taken the hit. They're quite sensitive to cold weather. I looked at them yesterday and it wasn't good. Hope they'll recover.
Old April 4th, 2021, 06:25 AM

Good morning guys,
Happy Easter Sunday to everyone!

It is going to be a beautiful day here, with a high now projected near 80. No definite plans. When it gets a little warmer I'll start by getting out and finish cleaning up my bike. I lost my light yesterday evening before I could finish.

I'm now kinda wishing I'd committed to going to the car show, but oh well, there'll be plenty more this summer. I really need to force myself to lay low a few more weeks until we get our 2nd vaccines under our belts and give them a few weeks to do their thing. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the car out sometime today and just go for a cruise somewhere. It needs to be started anyway, so I might as well go for a drive on such a pretty day.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Old April 4th, 2021, 06:59 AM

Old April 4th, 2021, 01:05 PM
Running On Empty

Old April 4th, 2021, 02:14 PM

The cast or Spartacus descended on my daughter in laws house and brought a little something to gnaw on. The pics are the left overs. Only a wash tub of tater salad, 3 dozen deviled eggs, 4 1/2 cakes and a 1/2 bowl of banana pudding left, some mac and cheese , ham, turkey and a little broccoli casserole

Old April 4th, 2021, 03:22 PM

Looks like some good fixin's there Jamesbo. I'll take a bowl of whatever Norm is having...on second thought, no I'm too full. The most that I have on my niece and her husband is that they both had surgery today. I will try to contact her mother later.
Old April 4th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Running On Empty

Whatever Norm is having is a Banana Split, creamy Vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, chopped pecans, whipping cream & thinly sliced pieces of banana.
Old April 4th, 2021, 03:29 PM

I have alot of catching up on the pork I missed during Lent
Old April 4th, 2021, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
The cast or Spartacus descended on my daughter in laws house and brought a little something to gnaw on. The pics are the left overs. Only a wash tub of tater salad, 3 dozen deviled eggs, 4 1/2 cakes and a 1/2 bowl of banana pudding left, some mac and cheese , ham, turkey and a little broccoli casserole
James - OMG, now that's a spread! I'd come over just to eat the leftovers. It was just the wife and I here today and she cooked, but not one of my favorites, tuna casserole. I can take or leave it, mostly leave it, but I ate it and said thanks for cooking, because I didn’t have to.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 5th, 2021 at 05:45 AM.
Old April 4th, 2021, 03:40 PM

Whatever Norm is having is a Banana Split, creamy Vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, chopped pecans, whipping cream & thinly sliced pieces of banana.
Norm - That sounds really good! We have a frozen custard place about 3-miles down the road, may have to see if I can get momma to go get some later.
Old April 4th, 2021, 03:55 PM

Good evening guys,
Absolutely beautiful day here with a high of 80. Finished cleaning my bike this morning, then did my daily workout.

Momma was busy with her latest project, so I took the 4-4-2 out for this Spring's maiden voyage. It ran great, but I think it's idling just a tad fast, so tomorrow I'll get out there and back it off a little. Filled it up on the way home, then parked it with the tank downhill on the very slight incline on our driveway. The vent hoses (2) on very back of the tank that are routed above the filler tube under the license plate started leaking around the tank side of the vent hose. The vent hoses have the old type spring clamps and it did this once before when I got the tank too full. I'm going to take the old clamps off and put some stouter clamps on there tomorrow. I do not like gas leaks, they scare me!

Sounds like most of you had a nice Easter, and for that I am thankful!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 4th, 2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old April 4th, 2021, 04:23 PM

Wow, that's a spread for sure. I had a burrito for lunch. Dunno what's for supper yet.
Old April 4th, 2021, 04:27 PM

O.K., I'll make room!