The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2020, 08:26 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm, I was thinking the same thing Weezer was thinking, but he beat me to saying it.

Mike - You ever have those days when you think you're living in a world surrounded by misfits?

Oh Norm, maybe you can help me with my fancy phone. I get my email on the phone, like most people, and starting yesterday when I look at an email, it will show the header but not the message. What have I done to it for this to start happening? How do I fix it?

Mike- I don't know about that one buddy. In general the only time you should be able to view an e-mail message header is when you (the user) invoke that view. By default, it should return to the normal view when you're done viewing the header. My only guess is somewhere, somehow (you had it in your pocket and sat on it, or you bumped it) while in e-mail settings and it got turned on into some default header view. That's a good one. I never even thought you could invoke a default header view on a mobile phone. Are you sure as James suggested, those erasers aren't stabbing you in the eyes?
Old April 1st, 2020, 11:07 AM
Running On Empty

This is exactly why I purchase my coffee cups. Can you imagine the amount of time I'd lose watching my lawn grow?

Old April 1st, 2020, 11:29 PM

Look, I made a coffee cup, and it only took 39 hours! Poor Isadora, a tragic way to go. Former Detroit Tiger Mark "the Bird" Fidrych" death. I was a fan of his back then. https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...truck-accident

Last edited by 1969w3155; April 1st, 2020 at 11:38 PM.
Old April 1st, 2020, 11:39 PM

Let's stick to enchiladas, a more flavorful topic.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 02:53 AM

I'm fast on my way to becoming a harden criminal

I may brake 2 county [emergency ordinances[ ]today

Hoping my cemetery sign on my truck gives me a appearance of "Essential services

Mike, If ya don't care fer Mexican how about Cuban. I'm gonna make Ropa Vieja again tonite it's WONDERFUL

Have a great day Olds friends

"
Old April 2nd, 2020, 05:18 AM

Speaking of Cuban, I noticed PBS had 2 shows last night about Cuba. We watched the first one about Cuban wildlife. The 2nd one I think was about people and the cities,etc in Cuba, we didn't watch the 2nd cuz wifey wanted to see Garth and Tricia on another channel. Anyway it seem Cuba is really opening up. I would love to go there sometime. Believe it or not another place I would really like to go is Moscow...I think that would really interesting.
--Our governor is supposed to have another Press meeting today. My guess is she may be adding more stipulations about the Social distancing requirements. I hope I can still get paint for my truck. I should have ordered it sooner. I'll attempt to order it today.
-- Se ya guys!
Old April 2nd, 2020, 06:20 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Out by 8, that is some new record. Total wheels for today is 70, and I don't believe there is a need for 70, just what's in the shop. This week starts 4 day work weeks. When we are down to minimal work I wonder what they'll do. The money the airlines are getting from the bailout are supposed to go towards employee pay and benefits, so we're already at odds with that. I'm sure our CEO will find some way to cut our pay even more. "We have to take care of Delta." Well when he does in all the workers what's he gonna do then, throw the bags himself, after fixing the airplane? Sheesh.

Jamesbo I've never had Cuban food. Although my neighbor made me a Cuban sandwich once. Not sure it was from Cuba.

Okay I'll see you guys later. Tiger is unrelenting. I guess he likes this abbreviated schedule.

Old April 2nd, 2020, 09:49 AM

Well, a letter from the CEO says that the Acuna, Mexico, Morristown, TN., and Whitehall, Mi (where I work) will be shut down from 4/6-5/3, due to cancelled commercial aircraft orders. My supervisor, for some reason says "no". Hmm, we'll see tomorrow, as Friday is usually the day that they announce layoffs. One exception could be the government orders, which are hot right now, and said to be ramping up, but, they only compromise a portion of our business.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 11:59 AM
Always room for one more

Break time.

I've been out mowing. Beautiful out. Almost feel like I was off today. Gonna be really weird tomorrow.

Dan that's odd the boss says you aren't shutting down when the company says you are. Maybe he'll be the only one to come in. Do you guys still have the plant in Iowa? Not sure if it was Davenport but not far from it.

Norm why couldn't that guy put a handle on the chunk and drill out the center? It could be something new, coffee in the rough. Wouldn't the coffee taste like the tung oil he used at the end?

I think my late night activity will be to page back through TNGMT and find the videos of Liz Brewer. I'm not a fan of that Sloopy song, I'd rather watch the other one but don't know what it's called. Besides, whenever I hear that song I think it sounds like Shmoopy. No you're Shmoopy!

Okay break is over. See ya's.

Old April 2nd, 2020, 12:06 PM
Always room for one more

Oh Norm. I don't think you were getting what I was trying to convey about the phone, but no matter it started working again. Next up, how do I turn off spell check? It "corrects" to be something I didn't write or intend, and will leave mistakes I didn't intend. What a dumb thing.

Old April 2nd, 2020, 12:47 PM

I went to Cuba in 77 to hunt patos y palomas
Old April 2nd, 2020, 10:55 PM

Mike, we did until the recent split. Davenport is part of Arconic, we are now Howmet Aerospace. Ducks 'n Pigeons huh James? You were allowed to go to Cuba in '77? I thought that it was verboten back then. Well, apparently we are still open, they took 90 more people for voluntary layoff, some of the lower seniority people who wanted it were denied. We laid off some new hires who did not have their 60 days in yet, but they were told that they would be re hired. The weekend crew was eliminated, and they will choose to go to either 2nd or 3rd shift. We have 1600 blue collar people here, and I have seniority over about 400 of them. Things can change in a hurry, this really is tied into the commercial aircraft business, and if they continue to cancel orders, we will have more lay-offs. I don't see a turn-around until the fourth quarter of this year. We had another positive test for the virus in another department in my plant, that person is off for at least two weeks, everyone in her dept. (22 people) were sent home, they have to test negative to be allowed back to work. They taped off and sanitized that department. I will be working Sunday overtime.
Old April 3rd, 2020, 03:32 AM

Dan, everything is so unpredictable. I know everything will be OK in the long run. OK I wrote a bunch of bullshit and deleted it all.....a load of crap.....
I ordered the paint/reducer/hardener from Napa yesterday. I will go pick it up today. I got everything ready and will spray primer today. Yesterday weather was beautiful-sunny and 55-60. Last night I left heat on in shop for primer painting today.
Old April 3rd, 2020, 03:43 AM
Running On Empty

I was blown away when I received this e-mail from Home Depot yesterday. Wow! Great contributions w/o even mentioning Bernie.
• • • • • • •
Closing stores early at 6:00 p.m. to allow more time for sanitization and restocking
Limiting the number of customers allowed into stores at one time in the U.S. and Canada
Promoting social and physical distancing practices in stores by marking floors and adding signage to help customers and associates maintain safe distances
Eliminating major spring promotions to avoid driving high levels of traffic to stores
Limiting services and installations to those that are essential for maintenance and repair needs in impacted markets
Distributing thermometers to associates in stores and distribution centers and asking them to perform health checks before reporting to work
Asked all support center associates who can work from home to do so while continuing to support our front-line associates Operational Changes & Safety Measures As we continue to monitor the evolving circumstances surrounding COVID-19, we have been adjusting our operations to support national, state, and local public health guidance. To date, we have taken several measures for your safety and the safety of our associates, including:
• • • • • • •
Added 80 hours of paid time off for all full-time hourly associates and 40 hours of paid time off for part-time hourly associates to be used at their discretion at any time in 2020 and paid out at year-end if not used
For associates who are 65 years of age or older, or determined to be at higher risk by the CDC, added 160 hours of paid time off for full-time hourly associates and 80 hours of paid time off for part-time hourly associates to be used at their discretion at any time in 2020 and paid out at year-end if not used
Providing paid time off for any associate who has contracted COVID-19 until released by a doctor
Providing up to 14 days paid time off for any associate required to be quarantined by a public health authority or the CDC
Providing additional bonuses to hourly associates in stores and distribution centers -- $100 per week for full-time hourly associates and $50 per week for part-time hourly associates
Providing double pay for overtime hours worked by hourly associates
Extended dependent care benefits and waived co-pays Supporting Our Associates Our associates are important to your shopping experience. We have implemented the following actions to support them during this crisis:
• • • • •
Weeks ago, voluntarily froze pricing nationwide across product categories in high demand due to COVID-19
Redirected all shipments of N95 masks to be donated to hospitals, healthcare providers and first responders around the country as hospitals made the public aware of shortages
Donating millions of dollars in personal protective equipment (PPE) and other products to hospitals, healthcare providers and first responders
Prioritizing order fulfillment for hospitals, healthcare providers and first responders
Marshalling the resources of our merchandising and supply chain teams to globally source quality products and expedite the availability of needed items Supporting Communities We have taken a number of steps to support you and the healthcare workers and first responders providing patient care in the midst of the COVID-19 crisis, including:
Expanding Online and Delivery Options To better serve you, we have expanded our car and delivery services to make it easier for you to have product delivered from our stores to your homes and businesses. In addition, we are always available for you online at homedepot.com, where you will find a wide array of product and delivery options to meet your needs.

Again, we thank you, our valued customers, for your patience and cooperation as we work through the challenges presented by COVID-19. Dear Valued Customer:

As our communities battle COVID-19, The Home Depot is committed to providing the essential needs required to maintain your homes and businesses while doing our best to protect you, our valued customers, and our associates. This has resulted in several temporary changes to our business as we look out for your safety and the safety of our associates. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we work through this challenge together.

Old April 3rd, 2020, 08:02 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

First Friday off in the foreseeable future. Not thrilled about not getting paid but it's an opportunity for me to get something done. I gotta tell you fixing breakfast at home on a day off is for the birds.

Speaking of breakfast, I heard that the manager at Awful house was told to open to full service today. Not sure how that's gonna work, considering the governor made a special order of stay at home. So what happens if I go in there and the police stop by? Do they arrest me? Do they send me home? Do I have to pay for my food that I don't get to finish? I think I'll just stock up on Coco Pebbles.

Dan I didn't know you weren't called Alcoa anymore. I suppose like anything else mergers and buyouts change things. Is there still an Alcoa in any capacity or has it been mergered out of existence?

Norm why would HD send you that? Do you have their credit card or something? Is HD a Bernie supporter? They're headquartered here in Hotlanta you know.

Come on Greg tell us. What was all the bullshit? Had to have been somewhat important if you came up with it in the first place. Good luck with your painting. I say I wish I had the talent to paint cars but you know what, I've never tried so I don't know.

Here's a question, does anyone know anything about Hydroboost? I know they used it in the Big Eldorado in the 70s, other than that I don't know of any other cars that used it, just trucks. What gives the brakes the "boost?" What goes bad that makes them "spongy?"

Okay plans for the day are to finish the mowing, and maybe work on the Beach House Complex. I won't do that if my stupid neighbor is outside in his yard.

Have a good day everyone.

Old April 3rd, 2020, 09:07 AM

Mike Alcoa split in 2017 into two stand alone companies, Alcoa and Arconic, Alcoa is raw materials mostly now, and Arconic was finished product for the most part. When Arconic was formed, the biggest investors/shareholders was Elliot Management, an investment company who really just wanted to flip Arconic for a profit, when they did not get their asking price last year, they spit us again, Howmet Aerospace and Arconic. I am quite sure that this was done to sell the units separately to make it easier to flip. We (Howmet) are primarily makers of investment grade castings for the aerospace industry. All three have global locations.
Old April 3rd, 2020, 10:52 AM

I went to Cuba back when they were trying to get sum Gringos to come hunt and fish. We took a group in rented small aircraft [with special insurance] The whole thing was organized by Cubatour[ nationalize tourist industry] We flew into Valaerro took a bus to Havana and then another bus way out west to one of Batista's duck hunting clubs. The Game and fish commissioner [for lack of a better description had a machine gun strapped to the back of the front seat of his car and he'd guide us to someone farm with mesquite groves to shoot white wing pigeons

The whole place looked like Miami in the 50's
Old April 3rd, 2020, 10:59 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Bernie as in Bernie Marcus (owner of Home Depot). I put in the network monitoring & network management software for the Atlanta Aquarium (in a secret undisclosed location) for Bernie during the development & build-out of the Aquarium (before I transferred over to the Public Sector of Microsoft [NSG = National Security Group). The reason for the secret undisclosed location was to hide the location from the animal rights activist groups who opposed its development.
I get Home Depot e-mail notifications because I subscribed (long ago) to their mailing list.
I personally believe you should remain far away from the Awful House during this COVID-19 period of uncertainty. Stock up on cases of Coco Pebbles.
Old April 3rd, 2020, 11:42 AM
Always room for one more

There's a couple die hards that just can't do without their Awful house coffee in the morning, so one of them drives a truck and they tailgate every morning. When they want more coffee they hold up a cup and the server brings it out to them. Now that's dedication. I don't plan on going back until the all clear signal has been given. The whole thing still pisses me off, I hate seeing it on the electronic signs on the highway. Everything I get in my email, any advertising I see, has something to do with this and I'm so tired of it. I realize people need to keep away from each other but damn it gets old. What happened to good old fashioned Legionnaire's disease? That's what we used to get on cruise ships.

Got the mowing all done. After break I'm going back out and doing a little clearing in the beach area. No, I don't have a beach, yet. The plan is to clear out all the woods and brush near the lake and build a little building I can go hang out in, maybe spend the night on a cool spring or fall night.

Beautiful out. Not hot, slight breeze, ideal. I think we are in the waning phases of the yellow pollen.

Break's over.

Old April 3rd, 2020, 05:32 PM

Mike, this painting is new to me also, one of those things I always wanted to do, but now that I am doing it I think it sucks. Hydro boost brakes as I know them uses hydraulic fluid as the boost, usually using the power steering system. Its how GM used to put power brakes on Diesels as they don't have vacuum.
Old April 4th, 2020, 04:35 AM

What a great day yesterday! Got the primer painted on the truck, Then wife and I took a ride over to Gladwin to get Meadow Green paint for truck. Then after lunch went over to barn and cleaned up yard over there. Had a bunch of branches and even a whole tree that was close to the drive that I got pulled out of the ground when a big excavator was here last fall. So I cleaned up as much as I could move by myself and stared a big fire. It was a hard working by relaxing day. Just what I needed beautiful and sunny.

Primer is done, now a little sanding and some color on inside of cab and doors.
Old April 4th, 2020, 04:57 AM

Greg, Looks good to me

Wanta come paint sum white four board fences?

We're inder a state wide quarantine since 6:00 last night Sooooooooooo I picked up 60 bales of pine straw yesterday afternoon. Should keep me busy

Old April 4th, 2020, 07:10 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

A little overcast so far but warming up. It's Saturday, so I guess I'll work on the Chev.

Greg that looks very professional. Can't wait to see it all done. I keep saying I want an old truck, maybe one day one will follow me home.

Got the mowing done yesterday but not much on the Beach House Complex. By the time I got to that I was tired and my leg hurt.

My neighbor finally listed her house for sale. They put a lot of money into the place over the years and she's put a lot in in the last year or so. The place is beautiful. Even though I was more friends with him, I still hate to see her go. I understand why she doesn't want to stay here. I don't like the idea of having to break in a new neighbor.

Time to get the plan together. I'm out of food as well so I need to get to the store. That should be fun. Have a good day everyone.

Old April 4th, 2020, 09:41 AM
Running On Empty

42/40
Old April 4th, 2020, 01:01 PM

As there has been a hand sanitizer shortage, a distillery in town got together with a local chemical firm, and is now making hand sanitizer for sale at the distillery. Pretty cool.
Old April 4th, 2020, 05:15 PM
Running On Empty

Elephant is 80 years old.

Old April 4th, 2020, 06:16 PM
Always room for one more

Wow I'm so relaxed after the sonata. Big afternoon.

So no working on the Chev. I decided that my yard looked bad enough that it might cause trouble for my neighbor in selling her house. As much as I hate to see her go, I'd never do her like that. So I went to the shop and cut down trees and removed some scrub, so I can take some(the goal is all) of the cars over there. Actually made a lot of progress. It will help me in the long run because I need to move them to dig up the basement anyway.

Was gonna brave Walmart on the way home but decided I didn't have it in me. But I did stop at Publix for some milk and now I'll be good until Monday. I can survive on soup and Coco Pebbles.

Well I'm beat. My new chain saw that had the this, and did the that, good price good name, is a piece of junk. I wore the skin off my fingers trying to get it to start. Last time I used it, maybe a month ago. I use the uber expensive premixed gas with no ethanol. Turns out it will only start if you hold the throttle wide open. Either the chain stretches constantly, or the bar creeps backwards because the chain keeps slinging off. There may be something to buying a $400 Husqvarna.

Gonna hit the sack. Still another day off before work, and then I go in late. Almost feel like I'm on vacation. Have a good night everyone.

Old April 5th, 2020, 01:29 PM
Running On Empty

40/42
Old April 5th, 2020, 01:29 PM

Wonder what the elephant thought of the ivory keys

Pine straw layed out, grass cut and waiting fer a week of rain

AND an order from Omaha Steaks

Old April 5th, 2020, 02:32 PM

Went in to work today, a split shift, half on 1st & half on 2nd. We might have had 8 people for the first half, but only one person for second shift. Normally there would be three dozen people in there on the weekend. Talked to my buddy who is a Senior applications engineer for Mahle, and has the FCA account. He got laid off. Been there 25 years. Decision was made by Stuttgart, Germany. No decisions for hiring, firing, layoffs, raises are finalized in the U.S. They were told by Stuttgart to cut to a certain number, including the Livonia, Mi. plant.

Last edited by 1969w3155; April 5th, 2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old April 5th, 2020, 06:01 PM
Running On Empty

We are 2 weeks into self-isolation and it is really upsetting me to witness Lori (my wife) standing at the living room window gazing aimlessly into space with tears running down her cheeks.

It breaks my heart to see her like this. I have thought very hard about how I can cheer her up. I have even considered letting her in - but rules are rules.
Old April 6th, 2020, 03:00 AM

Old April 6th, 2020, 03:47 AM

Now look at the mess you made me make, Norm. Coffee all over.. too funny....
Old April 6th, 2020, 08:19 AM
Jeff

So civil in here. Reminds me of the joke, "People say there's always one crazy guy in every room."

"I can never find him!"

Old April 6th, 2020, 08:23 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out. Supposed to get warm. That's okay. Work and got to sleep in today, how crazy is that.

Went to Walmart this morning. They have the entrance barricaded with carts and crime tape, and you can only go in through their little taped off ramp. There's a guy standing there with a counter. Other than that typical Walmart. Still no TP or paper towels.

Went to the post office to mail my buddy a couple magazines. The line was out the door. I wasn't staying. My buddy will get his magazines when I see him next, probably months from now. The other post office by me was like that the other day. Strange things happen when people have ridiculous freak-outs.

Just puttering around until work. Hope everyone has a good start to the week.

Old April 6th, 2020, 09:12 AM

Old April 7th, 2020, 03:09 AM
Running On Empty

They have closed (barricaded) all entrances/exits to my little town (pop. = 3900) except for one & the only vehicles allowed entrance must be driven by a driver who possesses a driver's license demonstrating they reside w/in our county (Carteret). My little town is also the Carteret County seat. I've gone nowhere except to play golf and the grocery store. I'm getting in a lot of time watching the lawn grow. My mailbox is located on the side of the road. I got all dressed up the other day as I made the walk to check the mail - felt good dressing up.
Old April 7th, 2020, 03:27 AM

Old April 7th, 2020, 07:02 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Jamesbo that looks wonderful. What is it, eggs benedict?

We were at work a whole three hours yesterday. I signed 11 wheels. It will probably be the same today.

This morning I plan to get the Chev off jackstands and ready to move to the shop. Once at the shop, though, it will be tricky to move around. The wrecks I push around with the tractor. I supposed I could use the tractor gently on the Chev, that bumper is about two inches thick..

Really pretty out. Wish we had a window in the bunker.

Okay gonna do something before work. Have a good day everyone.

Old April 7th, 2020, 07:43 AM

Mike, Yep Eggs Benedict