The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2014, 04:04 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, Thanks fer the werm. Steady as she goes.

Okie, Happy Belated. Welcome to the thread.

Mike, we have a Crabapple tree in the middle of our deck for shade. Good Idea, right? Not so much. First you have the buds that make a mess, then the flowers, they fall off and make a mess, then the fruit, lordy I must have enough to fill a 30 gallon drum and they are still falling, then the leaves.

Gonna be another nice hot day in the 80's.

Hope everyone has a great Thursday.
Old September 25th, 2014, 04:52 AM

Mawn'in all

Slight mist dis mawn'in

Clint, We use our screen in porch 10 X more dan de deck. Their a hot pita

De biggest mistake I made when I bought dis property [1976] was not cutting down all the wild cherries. Now de Sob's are 50' high and drop tiny berries all over de deck etc.

Allan, Sleep in we can handle things fer a few hours. Your Kopi Luwak can wait.

Mike, It's planted so fer from de house, I could reach it with a 3 wood. I think I'm safe

Enjoy de weather and have a great day Olds friends
Old September 25th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone.

Spoda rain here in a it and then wet for several days. Decided on sod yesterday. Wasn't easy to find some this time of year though. So all the repairs to the landscaping are finished. Now I just hope there will be enough grow season left for the roots to take a bit.

Today I need to work on cutting back the plants and filling some soil voids in the new planter.

Clint/Jim, anytime. I don't think it's so much that you get up earlier than me, you just live in a different time zone.

Mike, so was it an engine?

Thinking about going to see Walking with Dinosaurs tomorrow. Always wanted to see what a Dino would be like in real life. Apparently the Dino's have just had a fresh makeover and look better than ever.

Well, de coffee pot just finished so time for a kuppa koffee.

Enjoy your day.
Old September 25th, 2014, 09:28 AM

The days are getting shorter, and the car show season is about to end here in SE WI.

Check www.madisonclassics.com for info on the weekend show.

Sandy, I hope that you are continuing to improve.

Afternoon everyone.

Gerry
Old September 25th, 2014, 10:17 AM

Allan, Remember "Green side up" when lay'in sod.
Old September 25th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Way too late fer dat Jim. Yew wer spoda tell me dat before I laid it. Now de grass will have ta come up thru de dirt side I spose....JK. I'm purty handy at laying and over cutting sod to make perfect seams.

Put some more fall fertilizer down as it's sposed ta rain fer de nex tree daze urso. Using Scotts Fall Turf builder. I was surprised it was rated 32 on nitrogen and 18 on potash with very little on potassium.

Bye de bye - WTH is Kopi Luwak? You got some wierd form of speel chack dat duz otto korrekt?

Jerry - you going to that show? If y'are make sure you take plenty of pics.
Old September 25th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another beautimus day today. Slept pretty good, too. Last night we were pretty much babysitting a plane all night. We had some panels to put back on and then we had to wait for some team to come sign it off, and they didn't get there until morning. So I caught up on some training.

When I first moved to Atlanta in '97 I lived in an apartment in Riverdale. Not the best part of town. The complex was awful and I had just learned what kudzu was and I happened to tell some guy at work I was going to plant kudzu at the apartment complex when I moved out. Boy did he have a fit. He didn't know anything about where I lived, he just knew that kudzu turns into an epidemic pretty quickly and said no one deserved that. I never did plant it. Karma came back to bite me because my first house was overrun with the stuff.

Well it's time for night number two. Hope everyone has a good evening. One more and it's the weekend.
Old September 25th, 2014, 05:11 PM

WTH is Kopi Luwak?
Heh, heh, it's "processed" coffee beans
Old September 26th, 2014, 04:02 AM
Just an Olds Guy

morning everyone.

Actually it still looks like the middle of the night and there's no hustle or bustle of trafific. Nice and quiet, but on the cool side.

Not much happening today so I might take a quick trip to the boneyard later today.

Gotta go make a pot of koffee now and share some with the werm.

Enjoy your day
Old September 26th, 2014, 04:13 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, Last I checked the sun rises and sets about the same time for you and I, just in a different part of the sky. Enjoy the morning sometimes its kinda nice to listen to almost nothing.

Jamesbo, When we moved in we had this rickety old Porch that was screened in (not real common here). we removed it and put the deck up. But like I've said before, we put a hot tub in the middle of it. So one of these days we'll get it where we need. The deck is great even in the summer because you have the shade of the tree, it's just soo messy so much of the year. We also have Catalpa's in the neighborhood which are just as bad but without the fruit.

Gerry, Good luck at the show. Stretch the summer as long as you can.

Mike, Hope work was a little busier lastnight.

Have a weekend all.
Old September 26th, 2014, 04:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Clint, I take it back. I didn't think to look at the time zones. You win the early riser contest, I used to play that game too but I don't have to anymore. Every so often though I end up early because I go to bed early too. Shades of geezerville huh?

Sunrise here today will be in about another hour and forty five or so. 40* right now, with high forecast of ....sigh....44. Might be a better idea to stay home after seeing that on the news. You going quadding this weekend?
Old September 26th, 2014, 04:58 AM

Mawn'in all

Nice cool mawn'in wit no rain til my golf day

"Process" coffee beans mite be de understatement of de century

BTW leant sum'in new yesterday. Did anyone one else know dat Detective Benson on Law and Order Special Victims unit is Jane Mansfied's daughter? She was asleep in de back seat of de car when her mother was killed in a wreck.

Welp, Gotta go water de weeping willertr and de blue berries I moved yesterday.

Have a great Day Olds friends
Old September 26th, 2014, 04:58 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Work was a little busier, yes. We had to deploy the aft tail cone and slide on an MD90. We purposely deploy the slides every so often to make sure they work. It's kind of a pain getting the cone back up and latched, but we got it all done in about four hours. A couple other guys were replacing an autobrake valve and made a huge mess bleeding the brakes.

It's misty and weird looking out this morning. Maybe the dogs will be calm all day and I can sleep undisturbed. Tonight is Friday. I'd love to get out early and have all/most of my first day off doing something other than sleeping.

A question for the masses. What finish did the master cylinder have from the factory? I've got a rebuild kit coming for the wagon and while it's off I want to clean it up real nice. If it was supposed to be smooth I'll either sand it or figure out a way to get it blasted. If it's just supposed to be raw cast, I'll leave it be.

Okay off to bed. Have a good day everyone.
Old September 26th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, you gonna watch de Ryder Cup matches? Just saw part of Brad Faxons golf academy.he was showing off wit his putting tips.
Old September 26th, 2014, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Jim, you gonna watch de Ryder Cup matches? Just saw part of Brad Faxons golf academy.he was showing off wit his putting tips.

Does a bear........................
Old September 26th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', Oldsmofriends. It's a quick week w/ lots of activity, plus I decided to upgrade to Win 7 after having the upgrade materials for about a year... That miserable virus or whatever it was in my old XP finally pushed me over the edge. Couldn't get rid of the thing, so I took the plunge. It was a fairly simple decision after seeing that the little tower I wanted to buy from Dell was about $1200 with no monitor (another $200)... So I'll use this one with Win 7 until it blows up. After all, it's only about 8 years old. ;-)

For some reason, the little smilies aren't working in this, my first post using Win 7. Maybe that's a blessing.

Sandy, you remain in our thoughts, prayers, & hearts. Sorry it's such a long road back to health & normalcy, but at least you're on the road. BTW, did you delete a post about winning Best of Show? I saw it mentioned, but couldn't find your original post. Congrats in any case...

Tomorrow is the Covington Block Party, which I haven't been to this year. I prolly won't go tomorrow either, although the weather's been fab this week. My brother & SIL need a break from Aunt Carmy on Saturday, so we're going to take her for the day. Thought I'd cook a little turkey and give her a treat over here for the day.

We're scheduled to close on the Metairie house on 10/13, so everybody please keep their fingers & eyes crossed that all goes well! St. Joseph (patron saint of the home) is coming thru for us. :-)

I finished painting the inside on Wednesday, but I didn't do the closets, and I prolly won't be doing the garage (just need to clean the garage out pretty bad). Paint looks great! Used 10 gallons of Sherwin Williams thus far. Fixing and prepping the walls was definitely the hardest part. But now, it looks dern nice for a 35 y.o. casa. The inspections (separate plumbing, "general" [including electrical], and termite) were performed over the last week. The reports included the usual nitpicking stuff for a house that age. Basically, it's solid as a rock. The buyer is getting a really good deal... he beat us down pretty good; but we're delighted about it... and now he's like a kid with a new (big) toy. It's good to see somebody so happy ... I'm trying to conceal my delight just a bit; but we three brothers will be doing backward flips after the closing.

Condolences on your uncle, Allan. He sounds like he was a helluva fellow. When you get geezerish as we are, they seem to start going quickly. I'm just getting over losing my grandparents' generation. Wish we'd have had a bigger break 'til our previous generation started vanishing.

Glad you got that TV fixed quick, Jamesbo. Let's see, paint, 'lectric, paint, 'lectric: which one should I do? Got it! I'll go crush rocks.

Mike, what year Caddy did you say you have? (I know you've prolly told me before.) Did you sell it yet? That '70 GS prototype was re-done by my Buick buddy, John Chamberlain, as the story says. That's supposedly one of the two '70s that were not destroyed by Buick. The other is Brad Conley's GSX prototype (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6401658&type=3). Brad's been owning that one since the early '80s, and it makes the red GS practically look tame. ;-)

Happy (very) belated B'day, Scot... And same to you, Okie, and welcome to the club! Sunday's mine, and the better half & I are scheduled to go to my favorite restaurant, Sal and Judy's, in Lacobme for an early afternoon feast.

Glad y'all had a nice reunion, Clint. Our #40 is scheduled for Thanksgiving weekend.

Sammy, down here a "float" is a towed, decorative Mardi Gras parade trailer that people throw beads and doubloons from. Didn't know it was a car hauler too ;-)

Y'all have a real Thor's Day, friends. I still have a bunch of software to load and files to transfer!

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; September 26th, 2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old September 26th, 2014, 08:35 AM

Mike, the master cylinder is raw cast, but it will get surface rust quickly. I would try and find a cast grey paint that is resistant to brake fluid to paint it.
Old September 26th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I would try and find a cast grey paint that is resistant to brake fluid to paint it.
Good luck with that. I think the only way to get a finish on a MC that won't dissolve with brake fluid is powder coat it. I replaced the MC on my 72 several years back and it came with a powdercoat cast finish. The only beef I have with it is it doesn't have the OEM bleeder valves, otherwise it's just fine.

John - Nice to hear from you again! Sounds like you're in the winners circle on the sale. Yes, time passes too quickly it seems. So what number BD are you celebrating?
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:17 PM

I did a little checking, and Eastwood's has an aerosol cast paint in their online catalog.
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I've seen it, and I've also used cast paint from NAPA (which is dead on for color BTW), but I'm not confident it's impervious to brake fluid. It is however resistant to heat. Every article and warning I've read about brake fluid says it will damage or remove paint. Does the Eastwood paint claim to be brake fluid resistant?
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:32 PM

Yes, resistant to DOT 3 brake fluid.
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Captain Starfire

Thanks, Allan -- and now that I'm not working, it's going by even faster... Hard to believe my last day of work was 6/26! That's 3 stinkin' months already. As Popeye would say, "Garshk."

Looking at the big 5-8 on Sunday. Hope it might somehow bring the Saints good luck against the Cowgirls (prime time evening).

Originally Posted by Allan R
John - Nice to hear from you again! Sounds like you're in the winners circle on the sale. Yes, time passes too quickly it seems. So what number BD are you celebrating?
Old September 26th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to the club John. Don't worry about the time now - it's been over 3 years for me and I don't miss the rat race.
Old September 26th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

It was supposed to be warm and sunny this afternoon but it's been overcast all day. No rain, though.

Allan I'm guessing you didn't go see the dinosaurs or the junkyard today.

My thinking might be a little big on the wagon. If I clean up the master it will probably be okay. I was telling a guy at work that I needed to buy date coded ignition wires for it, at 85 bucks. He thought I was crazy.

John I'm so glad the house is going to sell. Anything you get out of it is a plus and it's one giant headache you no longer need to worry about. I'm glad you brought up what Ted was talking about with a float. I had no clue but didn't want to ask. I suppose one could decorate a flatbed(with or without a car on it) and take it in a parade.

Friday tonight. Got the Monday lead who is clueless and I'd really be surprised if I weren't changing an engine. Of course the popular kids all got to go home early on their Fridays this week but I'm sure I'll be there till the end. Que cera cera. Or however you might spell that.

Okay have a good weekend everyone.
Old September 26th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - you'd be right. After I finished posting I played 2048 for a while and then looked outside. It was breezy, dark and raining. Stayed breezy and wet for most of the day. Right now its stopped raining but still overcast and breezy with temps colder than this morning @48°. So I decided the outside stuff would keep for another day. Went back upstairs and climbed into bed for a couple hours; man it was comfy and toasty.

Got up and watched the last 2 hours of the Ryder Cup so I could see what was motivating Jim. Still looking for that motivation....apparently it was cold in Scotland too as a lot of the players were wearing gloves, jackets and touques - even the Euros.

Are you looking at the date coded Packard wires? I think they cost less than 85 if these are the kind you're looking for. It also depends on how correct you want the car to be. Plug wires are a good investment anyway just because the resistance in the wires changes over time and can affect spark from the coil.
Old September 26th, 2014, 04:18 PM
CQR

Allan, Nope. I do need to go over them all for next Sunday.

John, good to hear from you again.
Old September 27th, 2014, 03:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone.
Well the hometown team beat the visitors yesterday with a 24-0 shutout. First time they've beat SK that since 1986, so I guess we have a reason to celebrate here in Mudville.

At least it's not raining right now.

Another early morning koffee pot on the go.

Enjoy your day.
Old September 27th, 2014, 04:01 AM

The skies are clear, my phone battery is charged...

Off to Jefferson...

Allan, just missed 'ya!

Gerry
Old September 27th, 2014, 04:47 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

No engine change last night but had just as good of a time. We were doing an auto speedbrake test that no one had ever done before, so it took us all night. The lead, who is clueless, ran around like an idiot all night. You'd think he could help us out but no, he was just in the way. Don't have to worry about that place until Tuesday.

Got two car shows to go to today. I better not sleep too long. The one is at Summit, it's the Chrysler club's show. The other is in Senoia, home of the Walking Dead. That's a few miles from me, but the bigger show. I'm going to try Senoia first and see how I do. It isn't the best day out but no rain is forecast.

Allan the date coded wires I was thinking about are from Year One. And since my car was built the 5th day of the year, the wires would say 3Q69 or 4Q69. For some reason Year One doesn't make the latter. I think if I could find some Delco Packard wires I'd be happy.

Jamesbo I read about Jane Mansfield's accident. Some guy's got her car, complete with blood stains. It was a big Buick if I remember right. The investigators said they were driving in fog and when they emerged there was a semi that was stopped. They would have had about enough time to say oh sh... before they hit the truck.

Hope everyone's Saturday starts out good. See you's later.
Old September 27th, 2014, 09:18 AM

Well, I'm off to a wedding..best bud's son is getting hitched. I'll head to the Gilmore tomorrow for the opening of the Caddy/LaSalle museum. Have a good afternoon.
Old September 27th, 2014, 10:03 AM

Gerry, You'ew spall check is fubar

John, I think we should jes wave going back and forth to de mountains. I'm up ere now but you're back in de flat lands

I jes hate it when inconsiderate folks ruin a perfectly good Saturday by having de gaul to get married
Old September 27th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Getting married is a spin off industry Jim. Yew shud no dat by now...

I watched tail end of mawnin Ryder Cup. Europe did well. USA did not fare well in de afternoon matches either. Quite a deficit to come bac from tomorrow.I think it's gonna go to Europe this year. USA rookies played well till the final 7 holes. Tom Watson must be pulling his hair out right about now tryin to figger out how ta get a fixit. Dat French guy share hits a mean club don't he?
Old September 27th, 2014, 12:30 PM

Allan, The shots/puts these guys make blow me away
Old September 27th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I can only imagine. Some of the ones that looked slam dunk were the ones that missed. The hail mary ones though? Go figger. The tee shots that ended up in the hazard areas and long grass? That would be me but much shorter.
Old September 27th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from a huge car show in Senoia. Several of the downtown streets were filled with cool rides. Saw three 70 442s, one was a Pace Car, one was a fake W30. Also a 69 442 and a 50 Ninety Eight. Good band playing also.

Sandy I thought of you when I walked past the Walking Dead store. Tons of people going in and out. Didn't see any zombies walking the streets, though.

If it rains Monday then this will be the last show I get to attend this year. If it doesn't rain Monday, then I get to see Summit one more time. If I had just a little more room at my house, I could line all the cars up and have a car show of my own. And I'd get all the trophies.

Nice here now, sunny, cool, just very pleasant. I think we'll go hang out in the back yard for a little while.
Old September 27th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, what tipped you off on the fake W30?
Old September 27th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Always room for one more

Something was wrong with the stripes/W30 script. Either the stripes were off or the script was misplaced, maybe both. It was indeed a Lansing car and a 442, had BRIGHT RED inner fender wells, generic looking Cragar SS wheels, add on air with a weird looking control panel, just something about it cried fake. It was also on display courtesy of some classic car dealer, so that to me takes away from its credibility. Not a bad looking car as far as a 442 goes, Sherwood green with black vinyl top.

Now the Pace Car was beautiful. I didn't know there was one around me. This car was loaded. Power windows, cruise, tilt, I didn't care for the decals the resto place used. But from 10 feet away they looked fine. And the bodywork and paint was nice. Had all the doodads that hung from the mirrors and stalks and whatnot like when it was new. Even had a little too tidy window sticker laminated on the dash. Retail price of a Pace Car was 3K plus and retail cost of this car was about 5700. Wow.
Old September 27th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The stripes could easily be off if the car was repainted and no one checked the Assembly manual for proper spacing or position. It's supposed to have red inner liners but I don't know how to describe the brightness. Add on air isn't a deal breaker because it can be removed. Did the engine have an aluminum intake with the OLDSMOBILE W-455 casting, and were the heads lettered F? Manual disc brakes? 4 core rad with HD cooling?
Old September 27th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Always room for one more

Allan you're absolutely right. It did have power disc brakes and air conditioning. I don't believe either were available with the W30. I didn't notice if it had an aluminum intake or HD cooling. The air was actually fairly well done. It had the typical looking aftermarket compressor under the hood and factory air box on the firewall. It used the regular vents that were in the dash and the control panel was weird looking but the same size and in the same place as it would be. Now, I thought if the coupe body didn't have air, it wouldn't have vents in the dash.
Old September 28th, 2014, 05:04 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Overcast and cool right now. Hope it doesn't rain.

Not much going on. Time for Awful house.