The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2014, 07:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone.

Late start today. Cool but sunny today. Gas here went up overnight to 1.17/L. That's 4.42/US gallon. Or, a 19 cent/gallon hike. Disappointing price hike for no good reason.

Clint, that pretty cool in the house. Might have to start calling you the 'iceman'.

Paul, I call it the way I see it. Good luck with the SUV. Did they give you unlimited mileage? When I had my rental in August they first gave me a Fusion. I switched it for a Sonata till the car was done. How long did they say it would take?

Jim, don't forget to water de weeper.

Darrell, nice to hear from you. Continued success with your job.

Enjoy your day. Gonna try some tea today.
Old October 1st, 2014, 07:59 AM

Allan, done done it
Old October 1st, 2014, 03:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautimus day here. And I saw a lot of it. My boy wasn't feeling good and wanted to go out a lot. Perhaps I'm a little too sympathetic to the way nature works, but I feel bad that dogs have to ask permission to go to the bathroom, and that they have to go outside in the rain. Of course, my house is better for it.

Goofy site problems persist, but I see there's a whole thread on the problem. Hope it gets fixed soon. I look at the Airstream forum and it does the same thing, always has so I thought it was supposed to do that. It's rather annoying if you ask me.

Allan gas went up 16 cents over night the other night here in town. You're right, no good reason. Time to get another diesel car and start smuggling off-spec jet fuel home from work again.

Paul I have a theory. When you got hit were you turning? My sister had an '11 Mustang and got hit twice. Both times she was turning. I think the odd way the back lights work mesmerizes people and they either don't pay attention to how close they are coming because they are watching the lights, or zone out like that lady in "The Andromeda Strain."

Time for night 2. Hope everyone enjoyed hump day.
Old October 1st, 2014, 04:16 PM

Good evening everyone.

Nice sunny, warmish day today. We have actually had quite a few nice days the last couple of weeks. I'm hoping we have more to come in the next couple of weeks.

The car should be out of the shop by the end of the week.

Mike, I was actually on the highway (our equivalent to an interstate) in stop and go traffic. The car behind me was changing out of my lane when he hit me.

Allan, I think it's unlimited mileage. I had a Fusion as a rental when I left the Cutlass in Ohio. I somehow lucked out since it was a fully loaded one included the eco-boost engine. It was actually a nice car. It got 33 mpg on the interstate through the mountains of PA and OH.

Clint, that would explain the fuel economy. It doesn't even have a mpg indicator.
Old October 1st, 2014, 05:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Paul, the Fusion I had was a thirsty pig even though it was also an ecoboost engine. It got all of 68 km to almost 1/4 tank of fuel. It sucked. Nice ride and quiet though but I didn't like the A pillars or the front seat egress. Just an FYI, it's supposed to snow again here tomorrow morning so I wasn't far off with my earlier comment.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 04:28 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Another okay night that was long. Worked on three planes. Wanted to take tonight off but the book is full.

Chilly this morning. There's steam rolling off the lake, it looks pretty cool. It's supposed to be in the 40s over the weekend at night. Tell me again why I didn't move out west years ago?

Today is Corvair introduction day. Jamesbo I'm still working on building that replica.

Off to bed. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:07 AM

Mawn'in all

GTG to de big city dis mawn'in

Have a great day Olds friends
Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone.

Only 34* here right now and the wind is keeping frost off stuff. Spoda start sleeting shortly.

Contractors been working on de ex hookers house for the last 3 days. Strange they only start work around supper time and work till 10:00 pm. So far it looks like every room and hallway is getting new carpet and baseboards.

Trash guy was just here. City says to have it at the curb by 7:00 am, so I usually take it out half hour before that.

Looking forward to return to normal temps on Saturday.

Time to wake the koffee maker.

Enjoy your day.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 02:52 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Friday for me, yay! Twas a nice day here, one of the last for awhile it sounds like.

Allan I know from experience that renters can be a disaster. I sold my rental house after renting to one family. I said, I'm not going to completely rebuild my house every six months. I didn't have quite the mess your neighbor does, but it was enough to cure me of wanting to be a landlord.

Jamesbo what's in the big city? Man I haven't been there in months. Wait, have I? I don't think so. And if I have it was so awful my brain has blocked it.

Well one week before I head to the mile high city. Clint if you're going to have a weekend where you're not doing anything let me know. I don't think you're too far from Highlands Ranch.

Not sure what I am going to have planned for the weekend. I guess it depends on what the weather is going to do. Might go have lunch with my sister in Savannah.

Okay here I go. Have a good evening everyone. One more.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:49 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike. I'm about 20 minutes away. Let me know and I'll take you to a High altitude Awful house if you want. There's one just north of the HR. Next weekend I should be around. We have a race this Sunday, and I think the Missus Suzuki will need a top end before the next race which is a coupla weeks away.

Allan, It's about 39* here right now. Still not ready for this change yet. I guess Loveland Ski area got 7" the other day. so they are starting their snow making.
Sounds like the contractors have day jobs and are doing this on the side.

Paul I've heard ups and downs on the eco-boost as far as mileage. I' wonder if ol' Al had some bog ol work boots on when driving it. I could see him racing light to light in it

Have a Friday all.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:51 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Friday Mawnin All

Looks like a cloud is coming up

Well I have some bad news and some good news. It seems the man upstairs works in mysterious ways, but I received the news that my eldest daughter lost her baby. Thankfully she was only a few weeks in. She really wasn't ready for a family, but I know she would've excelled if the pregnancy would've matured. Now she can hopefully move on and continue to get better prepared for the rest of her life and hopefully one day have a beautiful family.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:46 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Third day in a row of not a hard night at work but long. We finished up our first plane before first break and then sat around and after lunch started an engine change. Instead of working on that I let a nose tire kick my ***.

Scot I believe that's what's called bittersweet. I'm so sorry that had to happen but like you said, He knows what He's doing. Most importantly I hope your daughter's health will not suffer because of it.

Guess I'll sleep a little bit then run some errands. I think the rain is coming so I'll be alerted at once when it gets here.

Have a good morning everyone.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:20 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Thank you Mike and yes bittersweet is kinda how to describe the situation. Especially since she and the father to be are kaput.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:51 AM
CQR

Sorry Scot
Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:51 AM

Mawn'in all

Welp, Don't have to water dis mawn'in

Scot, It's an ill wind that blows no good. Sorry for the loss but

Mike, I've got 2 friends [brother an sister] dat both have Parkinson's disease and I fix de up a plate about every other week, Remember I was drug up in Buckhead so I know my way around I jes hate de frigg'in traffic.

Today, I'm only venturing as far south as Roswell
Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone.

Another late start today for some strange reason. No, wait. Not strange at all. I must have just known it was more comfy under the covers than getting out of bed. It's a very cool 25* here and lots of frost everywhere. Gonna have to go out and get some burlap to wrap the new juniper trees in for the winter. Only sposed to warm up to around 50 today.

Clint, yer kidding right? Putting the boots to an eco boost? Hahahahahahaha! Racing to the next red light? You must have me mixed up with some of the other airheads on your daily commute.

Mike, diidja put winter tires on the nose? Yeah bout de landlord? No telling what will happen unfortunately. Hopefully he lost enough the only way to recoup is to sell.

Scot, condolences for her loss. All you can do now is understand her feelings and help her recover.this is going to be traumatic for her and she'll need support.

Jim, WTH? Yer headed off ta New Mexico ta visit wit aliens? Iz t Roswell where ara 51 is?

Well, time to cozy up with a steaming cuppa koffee.

Enjoy your day.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:36 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Thanks for all of the condolences. The better half is heading east tomorrow to be with her, while I "babysit" the youngest. I think I may drag her to the drag races
Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:46 AM

My condolences for your daughter's loss Scot.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

What a guy. Maybe the youngest should go with the missus.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', all. Elsie came & went yesterday and early this morning; should be blue skies and sweet temps movin' in. They're predikkin' hi-40s for the N. Shore Sun & Mon.

Scot, God bless your family in these trying times. "He's got the whole world ... in his hands."

Hope Sandy's progressin'... I use the 3rd person 'cause it seems like our patient has real issues to worry about, rather than our little cyber roundtable.

Y'all have a great Freya's day, Oldsmofriends.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:05 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Thank you John and Dan We are a bundle of mixed emotions for sure.

Well Allan the better half requested me to watch the little one whilst she comforted the eldest.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Clint - here it is 6 hours later and we're just getting to 39°! Ah, for the good life I think I need to go to Meheeko again.

The jays have been terrorizing our oak. There's another ton of acorns on the ground again so I guess it's time to get out the shop vac and suck em up. I wonder how much the peeps who buy this joint will like that when I sell it.

Scot - you know I was just funnin witcha! I know you'll look after her just fine and I bet she'd love nothing better than to hang out with you whatever you decide. Heck, so would I.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:58 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Yeah I know Allan She don't care for the loud old cars though Nothing like the two middle girls do. Eh at least she will have her game to play
Old October 3rd, 2014, 11:04 AM
Always room for one more

Oh we're all hanging out at Scot's house? Okay I'm there!

No snow tires Allan. Actually all the tires on an airplane have straight grooves and no tread "pattern."

It rained pretty hard around 9 this morning. Not only did my girl jump up on the bed and get down repeatedly, but my boy got into the act as well. One would think that I'd be smart enough to make them stop, but one would be wrong. Finally I got up and went to sleep on the couch.

Jamesbo I thought Roswell was north of you. I hope you're around when I'm old and grey. What a nice man you are to bring food to everyone. You know we haven't seen a recipe from you for awhile. Come up with a good one and Sandy might come back 'round.

Oh me! Guess I'll get motivated.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 11:26 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Come on down anytime, but this weekend I am heading up there. Whether it be McDonough or Calhoun
Old October 3rd, 2014, 11:54 AM

Nope, Mike, Roswell [Ga Allan] is south of me about 10/12 miles. I'm up in de upper upper North Fulton county area. If I go out de front door and turn right, I'm about a mile from Cherokee County, If I turn left, I'm about 2 miles to Forsyth County. Although it's called the city of Milton, it was [before it became a city, ] unincorporated north fulton. The "Birmingham community "
Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:24 PM
Always room for one more

Okay so I was talking to my Mom this afternoon and she had her car in for a recall and they told her she needs brakes and tires. This is an 08 Saturn Aura with 36K miles. Never had brakes or tires. They said the front pads are at 3mm and the rear [I'm not sure if they're pads or shoes] are at 2mm. How fast do brakes wear, and does she need to have this taken care of immediately? I sort of hate for her to have this work done at the dealer but I don't know any of the other shops near her. The tires they said were dryrotting and are at either 6/32 or 7/32. I think she's good there till the end of the year. I hate not being close and being able to look at these things myself. Any ideas here?

Here's something I was going to ask about before and forgot. When I got the wagon it had a cardboard placard on the vacuum hose going to the brake booster that had NB on it. Well the tab broke off and now it's on my kitchen counter. What does that signify?

Gonna hit the sack early I think, not much sleep has been had the last couple days. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, if her pads are down to 3mm? The wear sensors should be screaming each time she hits the brakes. I believe the Aura was 4 wheel disc brakes. Most of the braking should be done by the front end so something doesn't sound right there. And if she's worn them down that badly in 36k miles? She probably will need new rotors unless they can be machined.

Just for the record, our Saturn has only 97k miles and is on it's 7th set of pads and rotors. The OEM ones only lasted about 5k on each go under warranty. Since then I've replaced the rotors and pads with Raybestos and Napa parts 3 times. This car seems to destroy rotors like nothing I've ever seen. Fortunately they're only 28 bucks a side.
Old October 4th, 2014, 03:36 AM

Mawn'in all

A mite chili in de mountains

I'm sett'in ere try'in to figger out how I'm gonna cook fer dinner guest AND [becuase de super model sat so] go to a cocktail party on de utter side of de lake.

I'm think'in maybe open up a can of sardines and sum soda crackers fer de dinner guest.

John, Aren't you a fan of Hawaii 5-O ? Last nite de had a marathon of de new one on TV. It jes ain't de same as when de said. "Book'em Dano. I've never seen so much shooting an squealing tires packed into so shot a show.

Mike, I don't know what cardboard cars you're speak'in of

Welp, GTG de sun fix'in to come up and I need to go to de stow fer sum sardines

Enjoy de weekend Olds friends
Old October 4th, 2014, 04:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Up early so I can get to the Awful house and then get to Savannah. Going to look at a Met. You know I've never even sat in one, much less drove one. Played this game last spring hope the outcome is better.

Didn't get a chance to hook up the trailer last night so I'll be in a hurry once the sun comes up. Jamesbo why does the sun come up an hour earlier up there than here?

Allan, Mom didn't say anything about the brakes making noise. I thought that too. I told her to go ahead with the brakes but to hold off on the tires. I wish I was there to pull the wheels off and see for myself. She had the car in for a transmission cable recall, I don't know why they'd have to take the wheels off for that. Actually I do.

Okay have a good day everyone, time for a roadtrip!
Old October 4th, 2014, 04:06 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo. the wife forbids me from getting anywhere near them little fish in a can. I had some once then my breath got caught in her hair. that was it. no more for me
Where did your water go?

Mike a general ROT is about 30K miles for front brakes, but the rears can last 50k or more. It does depend on the driver. The shortest life I've seen was 1700 miles on a Olds achieva. That poor lady had 2 heavy feet. I just replaced the missus' front pads on her Taco and she has 135k on it.

Allan, gonna be in the 70's this weekend and close to 80 next week.

John Isn't that a bit chilly for that far south?

Have a weekend!
Old October 4th, 2014, 04:19 AM

Well, Clint thar's always des little fellas
Old October 4th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Captain Starfire

A mite cool at da' Plantation, too...

'Twas down to 57 dis mawnin', but the 40s are on their way. Yep, Clint, we ain't seen 40s since last April. Muggies are on schedule to rear their ugly head again soon thereafter, however -- and unfortunately.

OK, y'all talking about sardines and viennas -- two subjects near & dear to my heart (& gullet). Sure nothing to brag about, but even a can of potted meat (with its gram of sodium) every month or two satisfies some deep craving in me. Maybe it's 'cause we had all dat stuff growing up. Nobody really knew about sodium and nitrates and preservatives back then. We just thought it was a fun quick lunch on crackers. Viennas & Swiss ain't half bad, either....

Mike, do you have any pic's of the 'Metro' you're pursuing? My great aunt had one when I was a kid. Half of them seemed to be yellow and brown (I'm sure that was not the case), and hers was no exception. She weighed over 200 lbs. and took up the entire cockpit. Mike, did the Metro retain the accelerator start, or have a pushbutton starter? She used to get in it and delightedly brag about some little starting gimmick.

I've been obsessing about getting a new car... still haven't decided on exactly what, but unfortunately, Mike, it won't be from a company based in Michigan. :-( I think either a Honda or another Toyota will be in my future. We're now scheduled to close on the sale of my parents' house at the end of next week, so I'll get really serious about it after then.

Whelpt, let me get rollin'... afore I know it, it'll be Sunday. Have a great weekend, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; October 4th, 2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old October 4th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone.

Warmer today but really windy. Rained for a couple hours earlier so I guess I don't need to do that. Maybe when it dries I'll get he shop vac out and clean up the newest batch of acorns from the oak.

Clint, hope it lasts for awhile. The Sonata has close to 70k miles and the brakes are just at ~50% still. You're right that it depends on how you drive.

Mike, good luck with the Met.

John, You looking to buy new or couple years old. I also am contemplating a newer ride soon as de boy decides if he wants or can afford the Sonata. I'm quite taken by the 2015 Sonata and Corolla. Never had a Yota or Honda before mostly because they're higher priced off the showroom floor.

Paul, how's the Stang? They do a good job?

Jim, Good luck witcher dilemma. I don't have that prob.

Gotta go, the coffee pots calling.

Enjoy your day.
Old October 4th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Captain Starfire

New

Allan, I'm a new car kind of guy. I decide what I want and then go out and get the best deal I can, and keep it as long as I can. Everybody's got their 2 cents, and I'm no exception. I think the Hondas and Toyotas can't be beat for reliability and overall quality, and they're worth the extra $$ up front.

I'm sure good deals on used ones are out there. And speaking of that, I need to research how much my '06 Camry would fetch with 212k miles. It looks like it has 60k miles (I guess that's a good thing!), runs like a sewing machine, and does not have one single mechanical pimple (every bell & whistle works). And it's an XLE, so it has all the bells & whistles. But the mileage is the elephant in the room.

it rides like a Lexus, though. I'll prolly sell it outright, since no dealer would likely give me what it's worth on a trade. If I act soon, I might be able to cash in on the '14 closeouts, although if I got a new Camry, it would be a '15, which ain't even in the dealer showrooms yet. BTW, we rented a new Corolla when we went to Michigan recently and we were impressed! Nice car. They have so much more room than the old "compact" and "subcompact" models used to have. Even I was comfortable driving it. ;-)

Clint, what a ROT be? Rotor turn? Dem new rotors they put on the Camry love the rust. Pretty much as soon as they sit for any length of time, they get red. They were cheap, and they look cheap. 'Nudder reason to sell ;-)

Jim, I've also always been a big fan of canned salmon. I love to make salmon salad the way everybody else makes tuna salad. Yum, yum... And whilst we're discussing food, I finished my leftovers from Sal and Judy's yesterday. That fettuccine was still to die for. I have an idea he puts feta cheese in it, so I'm going to try and make some and add a little feta and see how it comes out. Also stuffed 4 artichokes yesterday. The stuffing and overall flavor is awesome, but the artichokes didn't have much "meat" on them. Better half & I split a huge one last night. Sometimes I see those 4 honkers in a bag in the Sam's produce aisle and I can't resist....

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; October 4th, 2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old October 4th, 2014, 09:02 AM

Mike, my Aura goes through the front brakes about every 25-28 thousand miles, a bit more for the rear, though I'm quite sure that I'm a little harder on brakes than most. GM still has that disposable parts attitude. My bud's 2010 Corolla needed it's front brakes done for the first time @90k, pads only, rotors did not have to be turned, just better quality parts to begin with. The problem with dealerships, is that they look for any way to generate income, so maybe the tires are bad... or maybe not, and as she is a older female, they will use that to their advantage. Speaking of Aura's, took mine in this morn. for a recall, brake light wiring/switch, which would affect traction control, ESC, and the cruise control. When I told them that last week when I was driving down US131, I had the cruise on, braked for slower traffic, then hit "resume", where it promptly went 5 miles over where I had set it, before I shut it off, His response? "deer in headlights", typical service personnel, clueless. Jim wrap 'em in bacon, throw a little brown sugar over 'em, and bake for a bit.
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Just an Olds Guy

John, I like new also but sometimes I just can't justify the hit on depreciation that goes with driving it off the lot. What you say about the top line cars is true; I won't buy a common car. Everything I've bought for my use has been top line. Even the Sonata is the Limited model. I got a screaming good deal on it when it was 3 years old and even now if I sold it I would be ahead of the game because I haven't had to put anything except oil/filter into it, and I don't count that against a car.

ROT means Rule of Thumb. And here you thought Clint was sicking his rottywieler on ya?

Dan - I think 25-28 is about on par with what my 72 would do on a new set of discs. Course I won't get to check that now that its mostly a garage queen....Prolly will end up being a long lost barn find in another 25 years. Don't worry - I keep it under a car cover and the garage is always kept cool so it doesn't go through violent temperature swings that cause surface rust or UV/IR damage to rubber.
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Captain Starfire

Originally Posted by Allan R
ROT means Rule of Thumb. And here you thought Clint was sicking his rottywieler on ya?

Doohhh!
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

John, you have no idea how many times I've felt the same way....

Not to be confused with this

Old October 4th, 2014, 01:04 PM

So, I changed my mind and decided on pot roast. Cook it up, leave it on de stove, go to cocktail party come home, heat and eat

Mike, he's de reciipe. I guaarantee de dogs will love it

Brown pot roast in EVOO
Add 1 pack lipton's dry onion sop mix
1 can Cambell's cream of mushrooms soup with roasted garlic
2 cups water

Cooked [simmmer] de meat til it so tender its about to fall apart, add baby new taters, and baby carrots, cook til done and get cha sum yeast rolls to soak up de gravy

Ok Sandy dare's a recipe get back on here