The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2015, 07:07 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hi All, its been a while so I thought I'd check back in and say hello.

The last three days were all 60 or above, which has been great as I'm trying to finish up working outside.

In addition to work and other stuff, I started to work on some much neglected house projects. I refaced the side of the house with the garage, and added extra lighting and wide mouldings. Took me a while, especially since I had to run electric and fix walls that were anything but straight. I'll post some pics when I get it finished.

Haven't driven the Olds that much, the last time I drove it was about a month ago. I hit the brakes and the car pulled hard to the right. Really caught me by surprise and fortunately I didn't hit anyone. Probably a frozen caliper and I saw listings for them from Rock Auto already coated in special caliper paint. Anyone bought any coated calipers from them? Hope to do that over the next month.

Anyways, I will catch up on all your posts, hope you're all doing fine.
Old November 29th, 2015, 05:03 AM

Mawn'in all

beautiful mawn'in but fix'in to come up a cloud.

John, How'd your favorite college teams fair?

I'm fairly certain, I can pass better than Tech's QB

I think, Today, I'm gonna do nutt'in and then rest

Enjoy de rest of de weekend Olds friends
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Captain Starfire

Happy soggy Sunday, all.... Mild temp's but a steady mist and drizzle here in da' hills -- which is slated to last into Wed. a.m. (We'll be drivin' in it manana.)

Good to see Leslie up here again, Darrell. Missed that snide grin. Sounds like you've been keeping busy. Don't be such a strangler!

Jamesbo, I have very few real likes in the world of NCAA football; but I was kinda' happy LSU broke their losing streak and that Lucky Les will be back for another season. (Fact is, I think, they can't afford to launch him at this time.) Only other thought that comes to mind is that I got caught up with the Notre Dame - Stanford game toward the end. I wanted the Irish to prevail, but alas.... What a heartbreak for the South Bend boys.

In the old days, this would have been the weekend for the LSU-Tulane game -- in the many years Tulane had a real team. That was one of the biggest rivalries in the country for many decades. Unfortunately, TU really stunk up the field (again) this season, and the A.D. catapulted the head coach, poor Curtis Johnson -- a big-time local favorite, since he was an assistant with the Saints before TU snagged him. Great guy; but just couldn't reverse the trend.

Speaking of "poor," the Saints play Houston today, but I won't be watching 'cause the Falcons are playing at the same time, and they're both Fox games. (And guess which one Fox 5 in Hotlanta will be showing?) Prolly just as well... there are so many constructive things I can be doing.

Whelpt, lots to do before the long sojourn manana. Have a dry one, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; November 29th, 2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old November 29th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got back a little while ago, had a great weekend. Beautiful weather for the Turkey Rod Run and tons of cars. Really nice seeing my friends again.

Clint I took the flatbed because I went to Orlando while I was there to look at a car that I saw on craigslist. Too bad the car was toast. So I drug an empty trailer around with me all weekend. No biggie. Thought maybe I'd find a deal at the show. Those people need a quick lesson in reality.

Welcome back Darrell. Don't rule out the flex lines going to the calipers.

Safe trip tomorrow John.

The rest of you I'll catch up tomorrow. I'm beat. Sitting in a car for hours and hours sure takes it out of you. Good night.
Old November 30th, 2015, 04:12 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike I hear ya. Sometimes it's amazing what people think their stuff can fetch. Thanks Barrett Jackson...

John, safe travels. Looks by my FB feed that the Donkeys pulled one out on the Cheats last night.

Jamesbo, I hope you aren't too tired from your busy day yesterday to go smack whitey. Everything around here is white. had about 1-2" of Dry small snow last night.

Darrell, Most of our Calipers are painted with Cast blast or similar. If a system is clean and has good fluid there should be no reason for a special paint.

Scot, I ended up not going. I just thawed some hot Breakfast sausage from the freezer.

Have a Monday all.
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:26 AM

Mawn'in all

Kinda icky and got sum business to take care of sooooo no smacky whitey today

John, Safe Travels.

Yeah, Yeah de coons blew anutter one. But I enjoyed de steelers game. Pretty exciting.

Mike, Did you take my trailer or de legal one. Jes curious. Where's de lift?

So Turkey and football over with so what's next?

Have a great day Olds friends
Old November 30th, 2015, 07:22 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Dropped the trailer off and hit the Awful house. Now I have to switch cars and run a couple errands then go pick up the dogs. My friends had dogs that were fun to play with but I sure miss my own.

Jamesbo I took the flatbed. Your trailer is where I dropped it when I got home. The lift hasn't budged. I did remember to take the license plate off and put back on mine.

So, since I was all set to buy that car and didn't, I feel like I'm obligated to buy -something- . Hm.

Scot I seem to remember that rollout sensor being a source of trouble. Maybe when I get the panel off it will come back to me. It was 65 in the house this morning and over 60 outside, so no heat even needed right now. I know that won't last.

Overcast right now and maybe rain later. Figures. Nice while I was gone then rain when I get back. That's okay, it was beautiful in DB this weekend.

Well Happy Monday everyone.
Old November 30th, 2015, 07:16 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Got home from work today and raked up lots of leaves. Figured I'd get them out of the way before the rain hits the next two days. Just finished an hour ago, neighbors probably think I'm nuts doing it this late, lol.

Mike - Thanks, yes I will check the hoses too. I might just replace them at the same time since they are about 13 years old. BTW, what car did you drive to see in Orlando?

Clint - Rock Auto has rebuilt calipers that are coated with caliper paint. They are $35 each. Figured it was easier to just purchase them and save me the trouble of doing it myself.

The kids are busting my chops to get the Christmas lights up, I'm done for tonight, hopefully I can start on that tomorrow.

Have a good night all.
Old December 1st, 2015, 03:27 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Darrell, As long as it's the outside they should stay looking good.

Jamesbo, I hope its something worth waiting for.

Mike, I'd like to have 60 outside. In the 20's and a blowing snow advisory today. Ugh.

Have a Tuesday all.
Old December 1st, 2015, 05:05 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Ah retirement. It eludes me.

Went to bed early last night so of course woke up early. Still running late to the Awful house. Eh, it's not like I work there. If I did I could be late anyway, all the workers are.

Got the dogs yesterday and they were happy to be home. I didn't do anything the rest of the day, just hung out with them. It's funny, years ago when I had my other dog I'd take him to the kennel early, pick him up late, and enjoyed having the house to myself for a few extra hours. I didn't like Max any less, but these dogs I don't want to be without.

Darrell I was going to look at a 62 Imperial. Lucky I was going there anyway, or I'd be really ticked. Although I would have taken a car that was less expensive to operate.

Overcast today but still warmish. Guess I'll work on the furnace when I get back this morning.

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old December 1st, 2015, 05:14 AM

Mawn'in all

warm but cloudy wit rain com'in dis afternoon

Mike, Don't let my trailer get lonely, It's spent most of it's life in de woods.
An Imperial? now dat would make a great dog house.

Clint, I never know from one day to de next WTF is go'in on.

John, Ya home safely? Did ya get a gumbo fix first thing?

Got to run sum errands

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old December 2nd, 2015, 04:22 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Gonna be less windy today. Hopefully some of this white stuff will disappear.

Have a Wednesday!
Old December 2nd, 2015, 05:45 AM

Morning, going to get the front tires replaced this am., I'll come back 'n finish my coffee inna hour.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 05:51 AM
Captain Starfire

Hola, all... thanks for the safety wishes. The bottom line was that we all made it back in 1 piece. The bad news is that I was towing the motorcycle and the god-forsaken bike trailer (a POS honestly) got a flat near Biloxi, and we were delayed about 3 hours figuring out what to do. Result: we left the trailer in D'Iberville (I was somewhat familiar with it b/c of Cruisin' the Coast). I went back to MS yesterday with the spare wheel I should have had with me and retrieved it from the mall parking lot. Miraculous it was still there. It's roughly a hundred miles each way, so that was most of the day yesterday.

Wound up being a 13-hour trip. I felt more sorry for the kitties (and the better half) than I did for myself.

This trailer is going on C/L PRONTO! In all honesty, it says it's rated at 700-some-odd lbs, but it ain't for a big bike. I think the wheels of the trailer are misaligned (from the factory -- or whatever you call the places in Taiwan or wherever it was built). I have no idea how they would be aligned; but I'm not worrying about that now. I do think that for a smaller bike on shorter distances, it's a great, cheap solution. It's just not made to tow a honkin' 1300 hundreds of miles.

See y'all soon, Oldsmofriends. And have a dry one. We're waterlogged in da' Swamp again.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; December 2nd, 2015 at 05:54 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 06:35 AM

Mawn'in all

Elsie's ere

Great I got anutter interest party in my trailer. John, it sat in de woods near Uniquoi for about 2 years. Hot sure of the weight capacity but I was once building a retain'in wall and carried I pallets of cement blocks, 1 of mortar mix and 1 of sand w/o any problem. If Mike would let cha borry it, Ya could tie de bike to de lift. Course he'd have ta let ya borry a tag

GTG

Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 2nd, 2015, 06:41 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rain. Started in the middle of the night then tapered off to an annoying mist. Seven O'clock came and went and I said screw it I'm sleeping in. Then remembered I have no food in the house so I have to go out anyway.

Yesterday afternoon my girl had a seizure. She was sleeping on the couch and jumped down shaking her leg. I thought maybe it had fallen asleep. Nope, she ran three legged into the kitchen and fell on the floor twitching, all legs flailing, tongue slipped all the way back, the whole works. Scared the $hit out of me. Got some little girl with an attitude on the phone at the vet, but by the time I got a dr on the phone it was all over, she was fine. Still took her in, mainly so I could get some counseling on the matter. Turns out there isn't much you can do for a dog that's having a seizure.

Well, not much to do outside today, so I think we'll stay in and do some house cleaning. I still need to look at the furnace and see if I can get it to crank up. Maybe I'll look at Dr. Demento Christmas songs on youtube.

Have a good Humpity everyone.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 06:58 AM

Mike, years ago I had a black lab [ Tar baby] with epilepsy Gave him phenobarbital every day and he was fine for 18 years
Old December 2nd, 2015, 09:22 AM
Captain Starfire

Gee Mike, so sorry to hear that. Maybe it's either turn her into a drug addict or both of you cope w/ the seizures. My B.I.L. had a dog 20 years that had the same malady. But it was old before they began, and they just coped with it for a few years.

Thanks, Jamesbo... I hope Mike eventually gets some use out of the old trailer. I might wait a while and try to get an auto trailer I can tow the Starfire, GS, or the bike on. It'd prolly have to stay out in the elements, however. But need to get all the vehicles things runnin' good and lookin' even better first... I must say, the bike looks (and rides) like a show-winner now -- hope to keep it that way.

BTW, don't ever plan on having the bike back up in GA. There may be some Kenny Robertses in the world who like going 'round them mountain curves fast on a 1300 cc 2-wheeled behemoth; but I ain't one. I'd much rather have the 'Vette up there (in the plans). TN State Hwy 68 is downright awesome -- not to mention Tail of the Dragon, etc., which is all over in that direction.

Plan to do a lot more Yamaha riding (whilst keeping the bike upright) down here in the Louisiana flatlands.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; December 2nd, 2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 12:39 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo that's what the vet gave to Jetta. She said it might make her unsteady for a few days but so far nothing is amiss.

Got my furnace to work! There's a reset button on the rollout sensor and I pushed it and things work as designed.

Rain is gone but the temp is supposed to go way down. That won't help in drying things up.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:02 AM

Morning all,

Unseasonably warm here in London, supposed to be low 40s but its been constantly mid 50s. I was looking forward to nice bit of snow but it seem like I need shorts not ski's.

What temperature will it be end of Dec when I drive from L.A to Dallas, not sure what to pack?
Old December 3rd, 2015, 05:00 AM

Mawn'in all

A mite chili but clear

Red letter day MIke's got heat

London, De way things are going, I'd pack a gun

Ok all you married guys Question. Does your bride put de remote in weird places?

It took me 1/2 hour to find de stupid thing dis mawn'in. It was in the hall [that doesn't have a TV

Welp, GTG family coming dis mawn'in

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old December 3rd, 2015, 05:16 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo I don't know, We don't watch enough tv for me to make a decision on that. It always seems to be in reach of the kids sitting spot tho.

London that far south you probably wont need anything too heavy. If you are going to take I 40 over the Continental divide you may want a heavier coat.

John stay away from the crazies on the scooter.

Mike sorry about the pup. Hope it doesn't affect her too bad.

Have a Thursday all.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 07:38 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Been to the Awful house and back. Didn't have any place else to go so I went to the shop and picked up some tools. My plan is to put bearings in the Cadillac today. We'll see how far I get.

Jamesbo I don't know about a wife, but when I was taking the drop ceiling out of my basement I got clunked on the head more than a couple times by TV remotes.

Thanks Clint. She is doing okay, but the medicine she's taking makes her a little unsteady. The vet said that will happen for a few days then it should straighten out.

London it can get pretty chilly at night in Texas. I drove from LA to Atlanta in February once and stopped for a quick nap in El Paso. About froze to death.

I'm trying to talk myself into buying a 69 Corvair. Sixty-nine being the last year, I wouldn't mind having one. But I'm guessing it isn't in the best shape and I don't want to drive all the way up to Dahlonega only to have my lowball offer be rebuffed. Eh I'll keep thinking.

Okay everyone have you a good day. One more and it's the weekend, which will be a serious bummer for me.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 02:27 PM

Just listening to the evening news and I was amazed to hear that there are nearly 300 million guns in the U.S and 31 people a day die from gun related trouble. So does owning a gun make you any safer, I think not, probably safer to own a damn good pair of running shoes.
TV remote control is the bane of my life,last week my wife swore that she hadn't seen it - I found it two days later inside her pillow case. That wouldn't have been so bad if it was the remote from our bedroom but it was the remote from our lounge. Women and remote controls should never occur in the same sentence.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 04:03 PM
CQR

Pretty hard to outrun a bullet.

Here's a stat. .0031% of Americans die each year from gun related homicides. Thats as far as I can go without breaking the forum rules.

Have a great night all
Old December 4th, 2015, 12:13 AM

Pretty hard to outrun a bullet.

Here's a stat. .0031% of Americans die each year from gun related homicides. Thats as far as I can go without breaking the forum rules.Have a great night all[

Not sure what your source is but according to Wikipedia it was actually 1.3% or just over 33'000 people, which includes murder, suicide and accidental discharge. Or in other words way too many.
Old December 4th, 2015, 03:51 AM
CQR

Originally Posted by LondonCutlass
Not sure what your source is but according to Wikipedia it was actually 1.3% or just over 33'000 people, which includes murder, suicide and accidental discharge. Or in other words way too many.
The largest part of that group is Suicide. I have a hard time including self destruction into a term called 'Gun violence'.

Mornin all

Happy Friday.
Old December 4th, 2015, 05:15 AM

Mawn'in all

Well, It seems de national debate has come to CO

I'm hav'in a flash of sanity and gonna stay outa it.

BUT Gang related shootings in some of the cities with the toughest gun laws are anutter big #
Old December 4th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Out and back already. Might drive up and see that Corvair today. What's the worst that can happen, I bring it home with me?

Didn't get the Cadillac worked on. Ran some errands instead. I've been trying to find some sort of stone that I can put around the wood stove's platform, and I'm surprised at how hard it is to find it. There's a stone place by me that has sort of what I want, and the little girl says, no we can't cut it and you have to take what's on top of the pile, no digging through it. Hm, see you later. Kind of hard to rethink the whole platform thing, the stove is pretty heavy.

Jamesbo if we could just get the bad guys to follow the law all our troubles would be solved.

Well, last day off. I wish my schedule was 2 on 11 off every week. Have a good day everyone.
Old December 4th, 2015, 07:55 AM

MIke, I've got sum left over stone stored [in the woods as usual] from when I built a patio at de lake. How many square feet do ya need?
Old December 4th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Always room for one more

I'm not sure, the platform is 53x42" and I want something to go around the edges. About 4.5" square. The problem is, as usual, I got this idea of what I want it to look like before I knew if anything was even available to make it look like that. So far I've struck out.
Old December 5th, 2015, 05:10 AM

Morning all,

I see that talking about gun laws is a a bit of a prickly subject so I wont say anymore!!
Really windy today over the whole of the U.K. The weather people have started naming our storms now so we are entertaining storm Desmond at the moment??

Had the Grandson to stay last night and my wife insist on keeping the house really warm so I wake up with a bad headache, so I decided to come into work today to escape the tropical climate of my house.

Have a safe weekend all.
Old December 5th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', all... chili con carne in da' swamp, but brite & sunnie. As of last night, my niece is living a life of marital bliss. Aunt Carmy leaves me and better half this morning after her stay in Ponchatoula. Everybody seems to have survived without too much humbug. We have one more wedding to attend on S. Shore tonight, and then will be thru with these affairs for the foreseeable future.

London, sounds like a wise decision. BTW, I really don't know the reason, but they're naming the winter storms now on this side of the pond as well. Being somewhat cynical by nature, I'd have to guess that it's mostly to sell commercials at a higher price during the weather reports.

Enjoy your weekend, Oldsmofriends.
Old December 5th, 2015, 11:32 AM

Mawn'in all

Wise decision London

Blue bird day in de mountains, Think I might go shoot a bear
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:32 PM

Didn't do much today, a little xmas shopping, "Bama & FSU on the tube, then dinner and drinks with friends later.
Old December 5th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

First night back after vacation. Hard telling what awaits me.

Scot I hope you guys had a good day racing.

I've got one Christmas present to buy, and I can't even do that. Every year I need to get something for my Mom and every year I have no clue. She doesn't like anything.

Good luck shooting, Davy.

London I'm the same way. I keep my house around 63* and if it's any warmer then I'm sweating. The dogs don't seem to mind, though their ears get a little cold. I've got blankets on the couch in their room, and when I'm home my boy will usually jump up on my bed and snuggle in.

Time to hit the road. Gonna be in the 30s tonight. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old December 6th, 2015, 06:18 AM

Presure switch went TU on de well pump in de mountains Joy of joys
Old December 6th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Captain Starfire

Whelpt, instead of the the Saints being thrown to the lions, today they're being thrown to the Panthers. God bless us all. I wish we had a prominent "Daniel" on the team to slay those cats.

Average weather today; somewhere in the 60s, and Elsie is staying at bay. I need to wash the truck after the big trip and stow it away, then break out the Toyo for daily driver duties.

Sorry about that switch, Jamesbo. I'm sure the pups are quite comfy in the house, Mike. Is that couch you're using the one the "kids" inherited from Hiawassee?

Whelpt, we've had our share of weddings and loud music for now. I can't say which one was louder -- although Fri was a D.J. and last night was a (very good, I might say) band. Last night was at the N.O. Roosevelt and no expense was spared; but I have to say the food (if you can believe I'd comment on such a thing) was better at Friday's reception at the Arbor Room at Popp Fountain (in N.O. City Park). Scrumptious.

Anyhoots, let me start putting a gris-gris on Cam Newton before kickoff today. Hope y'all are havin' a decent weekend, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; December 6th, 2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old December 6th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice day here, sun was out, about 60. From what I saw of it anyway. Cold last night, but I was inside. Not a bad first night back.

Jamesbo do you have an auxiliary pump ie the hand crank one with a bucket?

John I'm a little embarrassed to say that those couches are still in the van. I didn't realize until I got home that the yard is "arranged" in such a way that there's no path big enough to the front door, and people to help carry stuff are scarce. I could come from the neighbor's yard and go through the gate, but I'd have to rearrange a couple things to do that as well. Plus the aforementioned problem of getting someone to help. I'll get them in somehow...

Not much else happening on this Sunday night. Hope the week starts out good for everyone. Gonna hit the bricks. Have a good night everyone.
Old December 7th, 2015, 12:08 AM

Morning All,

Still very mild here for the time of year though plenty of rain.

All this terrorist nonsense is getting a bit too close to home for my liking. Saturday night some nutter with a machette goes a bit gung-ho in Leytonstone underground station shouting 'this is for Syria' before slicing someones throat. I can actually walk there from my house.

I really hate Christmas and what it now means --- Shopping, and lots of it, through massive crowds wherever you go, fighting for a parking space to buy something you don't even need. Spending huge amounts of money. My wife spent £300 on virtually nothing this weekend and all I could think was that could have been £300 spent on something useful like a full service on the Olds, shame she doesn't see life like me.