The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2015, 05:33 AM

Mawn'in all

Like a cow on a flat rock down ere

John, Ya better hunker down it looks nasty up your way

Mike, Hope de pups are OK

London, Sorry bout de weather but dat's jes de way it is over ere.

Dan, One of these days, I re-tell de story of me doing a 360 in my mom's Deuce and a quarter. Cuidado

Be safe Olds friends it's nasty out
Old December 30th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I'm not sure the rain has reached epic at my house, but it can't be far off. I dare say it's epic in other parts. The lake is into my back yard again today, but only by a couple feet. Yesterday was sunny and warm. I was driving with the windows down.

Jamesbo awful sorry about your friend. I remember you telling me about these people. I heard once, death is a tragedy. And if death wasn't a tragedy, then life wouldn't be worth living.

The dogs today went crazy when it started thundering about 6 this morning. So me and my pillow came out to the couch. A few hours later I went back to bed, but was wide awake. I said screw it, I'm staying put. Catnapped here and there and finally got up at 4 when the phone rang.

So yesterday I bought a tractor, complete with a front end loader and a backhoe. I'm pleased as punch. It was between a Kubota and a John Deere. I got the Deere. Like with buying anything, I didn't like the Kubota guy so I didn't buy his tractor. Can't wait to start digging stuff up.

John let me say this much, if my Mom's lasagna wasn't available, Better Half's would slip right in without missing a beat.

Okay it's Monday for me. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:38 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Evening All

Yup it's still raining...

London, it sounds like you are having fun out there

So sorry to hear about your friend Jamesbo

John that sounds great, keep me posted on the possible day.

Supposed to go out gallivanting with the better half tomorrow night after I get off work. Hope the no-drivers stay home while we are on the road There have been some real doozies around here lately. One lady with 5 or 6 kids aboard flipped on the interstate and none of the kids were belted in and all got ejected from the vehicle I know of 1 so far that didn't make it

Drive safe my friends and watch out for those that aren't.
Old December 30th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Captain Starfire

Eevnin', all. 'Twas a wet one in the hills, but we survived. Even managed to put in 3 laps around the lake between downpours -- watched the radar closely and struck while the iron was hot.

Scot, I'm pretty flexible, and I'm thinkin' Mike would run a close second, as long as we don't pick a school night for him. I'll wait for Jamesbo to suggest a day or three and see if we can pare it down among us all. Delighted you're intersted!

If we have 4 parties who are at least interested, we ought to be able to get something moving. I'll say preliminarily that we tentatively plan to be back up at end of January & beginning of February (between Peoria trips). Then back again 6 weeks after that (etc., etc., etc.). We could generally plan a trip around a date that everybody else could make if we had it a couple months in advance.

Y'all have a great New Year's Eve eve, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; December 30th, 2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old December 30th, 2015, 08:42 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Been dealing with some dizziness issues the last few days, today being the worst. Going to head to the doctor tomorrow, I'm guessing I have an inner ear infection.

Mike - I bought my Silverado this May. I had to get rid of my Ram. Long story short, I had brought it in for an inspection and when I picked it up, I found a big dent in the back and a cracked tail light. After getting really pissed, they took it back and fixed it free of charge. Then, the check engine light came on, the gas gauge started reading about a half tank lower than actual and the master cylinder low fluid light came on. I then complained that my truck had no issues when I brought it in, what the hell did they do to my truck? They took no ownership of the issue.

So I traded it in on the Silverado. I had an 08 Silverado before the Ram and if I compare the 08 to the new one, I would tell you that: it gets better gas mileage, has a stiffer frame, more power, and it handles better.
Old December 31st, 2015, 04:17 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

The Mercury is just barely north of nothing right now. but we may get above freezing sometime this weekend.

Sorry to hear of those passing. Glad to hear xmas was pretty good to others.

Have a day all.
Old December 31st, 2015, 05:28 AM

Mawn'in all

Stopped rain'in finally and turned cooler

Mike, Congrats, Now ya got a trailer to haul your back hoe around on an can yank de lift off and dig a hole to set it in.

Jes be carful wit de thing. A few years ago, a pilot in Peachtree city decided he wanted to save $ on his sprinkler water bill and dug a pit into de lake to put a pump in. Backed into it and it caved in on him

Thanks fer de condolences. Gotta beat feet up to Cleveland Ga fer de funeral tomorrow. It's gonna be a tradition county funeral

Scot, ya oughta know better dan to go our on amateurs night

John, Here's de deal. I would love a repast with you and whoever anytime. If you could get people to please let me know ahead of time when they are going home to glory, I'd actually make sum plans. So count my definitely in "maybe"

As fer de Super model, I'm not sure what her plans are til after she makes them and changes her mind. Today, She's taking her ex mother in law to Augusta to "lay hands" on her ex brother in law dat fell outa a deer tree stand a few days ago.

Don't ax

Well have a great day and go get dem blacked eyed peas, Turnip greens, ham hocks and corn bread if ya wanta have good luck and more $$$ next year
Old December 31st, 2015, 08:29 AM

Gonna get a burger & beer with a bud for lunch, then do a whole lot of maybe something, like replace the squirter on the car, and try to move some of that crap out of my drive with the snow blower, but it is too heavy and ice laden, may have to call someone with a plow. Oh, and head to the Home Depot to get a telescoping broom handle to clear off my damn dish, so's I kin watch the tube.
Old December 31st, 2015, 09:05 AM
Captain Starfire

Kwik g'mawnin' to all on dis 7th day of Christmas... no rain today and temps a good 10* cooler; no complaints. Fixin' da' collards today and will be cookin' da' blak-ize manana. We'll scrape up a few other things, I'm sure.... Better half wants salmon tonite, so salmon it will be.

Hope to check in on 1/1/16 after 'Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve' is long off da' air.

Manana, Oldsmofriends.

p.s.: one good thing about gettin old(er) is that I don't make the mistake of putting the wrong year in my dates any more. The years go by so fast, I have to remember what year it is every time I need to write it. It's practically like months used to be.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; December 31st, 2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old December 31st, 2015, 12:36 PM

Hey John, just got back from a late lunch with a good friend of mine, his daughter and new son in law are down on Beal St. on their Honeymoon, having a good time from what he tells. Too bad that their 2015 Grand Cherokee rental had trans. problems on the way down from Ann Arbor, and they had to swap with another rental.
Old December 31st, 2015, 01:32 PM

Happy New Year everyone!
Old December 31st, 2015, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone Happy New Year.

Gunshots have started already. Maybe the drinking has started as well and everyone will be asleep by midnight.

Jamesbo what is a country funeral?

Time for night 2. Got home by 5 this morning, I couldn't believe it. Though I didn't turn it down.

Have a good night everyone. See you in '16!
Old December 31st, 2015, 06:20 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Felt better today so I got some stuff done.

The Riv's back on the road and drives nice. New tie rods made a nice difference.

Someone had backed into my wife's 300 a few months ago and we finally got it fixed. Had to replace the rear bumper since they poked a big hole in it. The body shop did a nice job.

Took the kids out tonight to see all the Christmas decorations before everyone takes them down.

Jamesbo - sorry about your loss, but as Mike asked, what's a country funeral?

Mike - no gunshots here, but there lighting off fireworks already. Funny how there illegal in this state but you would never know it.

Welp, have a good night everyone and Happy New Year!
Old January 1st, 2016, 05:13 AM

Mawn'in all

Happy New Year Olds friends

A "Country Funeral" is when they have a viewing on nite, service the next day, procession to the grave side [and yes Mike people pull over] and then big meal with friends at the families home. That's what I was trying to say

Speak'in of funerals saw Sandy's head stone on FB Sure miss her

John, Hope ya got your New Years repast ready. Enjoy, We'll hit the Dillard house soon
Old January 1st, 2016, 10:13 AM
Captain Starfire

Happy New Year!

Here's wishing a wonderful new year to all Oldsmofriends. A mite chilly in da' hills, but very seasonable. That warm stuff was OK, but it didn't seem like December.

Darrell, glad you're feelin' better. Funny, 'cause one evening last week I felt dizzy and went to bed a wee bit early; was fine in the a.m., thanks be to God. Hope the kids enjoyed the decorations.

Dan, was that Memphis your friend's daughter was honeymooning at? Can't say I've spent much time there... Prolly two quick visits in my life. My Dad used to go there for business on occasion (along with Little Rock, AR). My friend, the car/truck salesman, had an FBI agent brother who lived there for a while while working for The Bureau back in the 70s. That's about it. Were you perhaps confusing Beal with Bourbon?

Jamesbo & Scot, Mike & I will try to coordinate a suitable date and then see if you guys can make it. No sense in making a big production out of it if it's iffy. I think we'll manage to get a quorum (and it would be fantastic to get together!); but alas, life (death?) often rears its ugly head.

BTW, cooked the collards yesterday and have the blackeye's in the slow cooker right now, and will put a cup of brown rice on in an hour or so. Spose to run down to some neighbors' house at 4 and bring our vittles, and they'll supply the cooked ham. We went there last year -- their ham is so-so at best. But they're nice folks, and at least my food will be good.

Clint, am I reading too much into your note, or did you not have a good Christmas? I sure hope it received at least a passing grade.

Mike, hope your work week is flyin' by as fast as this calender week has... It's mind boggling.

Have a great 8th day of Christmas, Oldsmofriends.
Old January 1st, 2016, 12:02 PM

Halftime, time to wish a Happy New Year to my bud's on the Good Morning Thread. Jamesbo, I also saw the FB picture of Sandys marker
Old January 1st, 2016, 12:03 PM

John, I may have gotten my famous streets mixed up, they are in New Orleans.
Old January 1st, 2016, 04:22 PM
Captain Starfire

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
John, I may have gotten my famous streets mixed up, they are in New Orleans.
I hope they have a wonderful time, Dan. Please do tell them that if they have to think whether going some particular place or taking some particular route is safe, chances are it's not. Don't take the road less traveled in this case. Shame to say my native city ain't no place to get lost in no more.

Collards & blackeyes were fantastic; and it's tough to screw up a Cure 81 ham -- even that was good. I ate too much... and they had the audacity to put out 5 kinds of Italian home-made cookies with the coffee. Ughhh!
Old January 2nd, 2016, 05:06 AM

Mawn'in all

Nice but chili

Does anyone but me put Chow Chow on their blackeyed peas

Same's true fer most big cities. I was in the Big Apple once and de cop said, " Go up one block and over, if ya go down one block and over you'll be dead"

I feel comfortable Saying de Dillard house will be less crowded in de winter.

Jes think'in about going is making me hungry

Have a GREAT Weekend Olds friends
Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:05 AM
Captain Starfire

To quote a famous moderator, "Mite chilly in da' hills dis mawnin.'" Saw 27* here at the house, which usually means that down below, it's about 24 or 25.

Strangely enough, I woke up hungry, so dove into a bowl of blackeye's and brown rice. Nothing like starting the day off with a steamy bowl of legumes.

Our new recliner that we picked out on Tuesdy is spose to arrive today (our Christmas gift to each other); so we'll have a complete living room set again. It's also "go to the dump" day.

Y'all have a great 9th day of Christmas, Oldsmofriends.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:51 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Lost a day. Just as I was leaving work yesterday morning I got the chills and couldn't get warm, so I got home and went to bed and that was that. Only got up a couple times for the dogs. They were very patient with me. Called into work last night and just now starting to feel like a person again.

Guess I'll find something to eat and see if I can salvage what's left of the day. Have a good day everyone.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 01:19 PM

Afternoon all.

So , I finally finished my road trip to your side of the pond.
I made the mistake of trading up to a lovely Mustang when I should have gone for a 4x4. 12 inches of snow in Lubbock, not great. But thanks to a couple of nice guys who pushed me out after the car grounded on ice we made it safe and sound.

However I do have a couple of gripes about the U.S.
You don't seem to have a fast or slow lane, it's overtake and undertake. ???
what's happened to your car industry. All the cars on the road have been made with chopsticks instead of wrenches.
Sitting in the lounge at DFW airport, soon be time to start driving on the correct side of the road!!

Happy and safe new year all.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 01:28 PM

Well, in most states it's supposed to be slower traffic in the right lane, and faster (usually above the speed limit) in the left lane, and in many states it is illegal to travel in the left lane unless you are passing slower cars in the right lane, but enforcement is very lax. Frequently in my state of Michigan on my work commute, people will drive in the left lane when there is no traffic in the right lane, and proceed to travel at their own leisurely pace, while blocking everyone else. I would love it if we had German style of road patrols looking for these people, and morons in general.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 03:35 PM

Believe it or not I travelled 1745 miles and the only cop cars I saw in all that time were in downtown Dallas, perhaps just as well as I was red lining the Mustang through the whole of Arizona.
While I think of it I have one more gripe, paying for gas before you fill up.
And lastly having to sign your name when you pay with a credit card, that's so last century.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 04:40 PM

Usually in my neck of the woods, the only time that I have to pre pay for gas is when it is in an area for high risk drive offs, usually bad areas of town. We are finally getting cards with the chips in them that Europe has had for a few years, I don't know if that will cut down on the signature requirement. It seems to be split as to whether or not you have to sign, depending on where we use our cards.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 11:27 AM

Worm
Old January 3rd, 2016, 11:41 AM

Hi all Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year

Well my wife and I are experiencing our first winter in Rathdrum Idaho. Have around 30" of snow on the ground. The power company here has been so busy keeping homes powered up that they still can't get power to my shop which is a low priority. So no work going on with between 8 to 20 degrees its a little to cold. I have met a great group of car guys here and am coming to know some of them. I look forward to the spring when i can invite a group to my new shop. Have a great day
Old January 3rd, 2016, 11:43 AM
GM Enthusiast

Afternoon everyone. Sitting here watching football and hoping the Steelers can make it into the playoffs. It's a longshot but we'll see.

Good weather here 45-50 and sunny this weekend. Managed to get a couple of the old cars out and drive them. Always makes for a good day.

Originally Posted by LondonCutlass
Afternoon all.

However I do have a couple of gripes about the U.S.
You don't seem to have a fast or slow lane, it's overtake and undertake. ???
what's happened to your car industry. All the cars on the road have been made with chopsticks instead of wrenches.
London - you're right. Around here people seem to forget that that the left lane is for faster traffic and the right lane is for slower. They also forget that you need to move out of the left lane when faster traffic is behind them. Very frustrating, especially around here with all the traffic in the NYC metro area.

I think the domestic share of the car market these days is around 45%. Pretty sad from where it used to be.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 12:00 PM
Always room for one more

Boy some worm Jamesbo, at 230 in the afternoon. How'd it go at the funeral?

I didn't get squat done yesterday. Lounged around in my jammies alternating between sleeping on the couch and going to bed. Eh, it was my first real day off, I usually don't get much done anyway.

London hope you enjoyed your stay here with us, and had a safe trip back. I haven't seen a pay after you pump gas for years. What really gets me is when the pump shuts off at $100. Maybe not such an issue now that gas is under $2, but a thirsty 2500 with a 34 gallon tank oft times took well over a c-note to fill up.

John how's the recliner? What does go to the dump day mean?

Well I'm going to get something done today come hell or high water. And we've had plenty of high water. Happy Sunday everyone things get back to normal tomorrow.
Old January 4th, 2016, 04:53 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili *****

Well, There's my ole pal Pat. I wish he invite me over fer sum prime rib one day. He's a great cook so de say

I'm still try'in to figger out how John and de Mrs. both fit in one recliner. [If it's a Christmas present for each other]

Mike, Hope ya get to feel'in better. But don't worry 'bout being too productive. There wil be plenty of work left when we're both gone.

Have a great Day Olds friends
Old January 4th, 2016, 06:18 AM
CQR

Mornin all. wanted the new year to start off great and gung ho. but I see that I don't have to try to keep that resolution anymore.

Have a Monday.
Old January 4th, 2016, 06:59 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Ever think it's going to be one of those days? Went to the Awful house and it seemed no one was working. Oh there were servers milling around but no one was able to come take my order. Went to the bank, they were closed. Two minutes until 9, nope couldn't open the door. Went to the doctor to see about what ails me, walk in's aren't seen until 5pm on Mondays. One person in the waiting room. Unbelievable.

Clint if you started the New Year on both feet you did better than I did. You guys still have a lot of snow?

So my big day yesterday was cleaning the bathroom and doing laundry. Whoa nelly what a day. Not sure what I'll do today, it's car washing day but it's too cold to do that. Maybe I'll go around changing wiper blades. That should take me awhile.

Well Happy Monday everyone.
Old January 4th, 2016, 07:38 AM

FYI Mike,

http://www.myajc.com/news/business/1...ve-thru/nps3D/
Old January 4th, 2016, 09:40 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Hiya all

Quick check in. Been Honey Dood'n... Got the leaves up front and back & pressure washed both porches and drive way. Still lots to do, but it sure makes you feel good when you can see the difference it made

Good to hear from you Pat

Yup one waffle howse that has a drive up atm for the criminals

Whelp back at it, before the colder weather sets in
Old January 4th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Captain Starfire

Kwik check-in from da' Swamp. Had a good trip back -- way better than last trip back, or the trip up. Bluebird weather all the way, and nary a traffic jam. Had a very serviceable Reuben sammich at Cracker Barrel in Greenville, MS. Hit it right before noon, and zipped in & out.

Good to see all's you's guys here, Pat & London -- and of course, Scot.

Mike, hope you get back in the pink quick as a wink, as the Pepto Bismal guy used to say. BTW, "Go to the dump" day is the day we bring our 2-weeks' worth of garbage to the garbage transfer station. It's always a thrill....

Jamesbo, we have to alternate on da' recliner ... kind of like having one bike as kids. :-(

Whelpt, a gazillion things to do. Later, gang.
Old January 4th, 2016, 07:22 PM

Hello from the deep freeze... well at least the first of the season.

Just a quick visit, have a good day everyone.
Old January 4th, 2016, 07:24 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Well, the heat wave officially ended here today when the high was 32 at 8am this morning. Now its 16, windy, with some light snow. Uugh. At least its supposed to be short lived.

Went to the doctor today, it seems I got some virus that has caused my ear canals to get all clogged up and give me dizziness episodes. Got some meds to hopefully help my ears, we'll see over the next couple of days.

Got my wish with the Jets losing, the Steelers are in. Now they have to beat the Bengals next.

Mike - hope you're feeling better.

John - always a gazillion things to do. I have come to the realization I will never be caught up or bored.

Going to head off to bed soon, have a good night all.
Old January 4th, 2016, 08:31 PM

Jet lag!!!!!!!

It's 4.24am and I've been awake for two hours. Tried a nice herbal tea that hasn't worked so I put on the TV and started to watch a programme about the end of the world according to science which I thought would put me to sleep, actually it's really interesting.

The wife is awake as well so she is cooking and I'm tidying up.
Today is going to be a loooooong day.
Old January 5th, 2016, 04:15 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike. There are still plow piles and yards that haven't been disturbed still have 4-5" on them. Did get some melting done yesterday.

John, I don't really do well with the holidays, We got thru them, and I'm glad they are over.

Have a great Tuesday all.
Old January 5th, 2016, 05:32 AM

Mawn'in all

Cold as a well digger shovel down ere

London, Dat west to east trip gets me too, but I'd vote fer sum rotten taters,

John We call our "dump" in de mountains a recycling center.

Mike, How ya feel'in today. Dug any hole with the back hoe yet?

Scot, If it don't warm up, I'll wave on my way to de keys.

Enjoy de day Olds friends