The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2021, 07:22 AM
Running On Empty

"They" = A ubiquitous enigmatic mystery.
Old November 16th, 2021, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Everyone needs an Amphicar.

Mike, You're not helping
Old November 16th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Always room for one more

For Sale on craigs. 5800 bucks. Birmingham.

You forgot that you needed an early Blazer.

Old November 16th, 2021, 10:06 AM

For Sale on craigs. 5800 bucks. Birmingham.

You forgot that you needed an early Blazer.
it's so nice to have my friend remember my post too bad it would take 4 hours to drive it home
Old November 16th, 2021, 10:35 AM
Running On Empty

I have "some" minor positive news to report. I found where the water is dripping - I have not found the source where the water is entering. Baby steps. I have the carpet pulled back, the kick panels removed. I had the weather stripping removed from the door & replaced it. With a long spout plant watering can, I poured water over the lower half of the windshield on the driver side so water would traverse the cowling (~1 qt.). I waited about 3' - 4' and found no water entering. I then poured water from the top of the windshield on the driver side (in the area I suspect may be the area where the windshield seal has raised - it's the actual seal which contains the windshield itself. It appears the entire windshield is contained with this solid rubber/plastic seal). I waited another ~3' - 4' minutes and soon I saw a water drip, then another, then another. I need to repeat this all over again to make certain I have found the "general" area of the source of the water - starting with the cowling again, but waiting a much longer time period - perhaps 10' - to ensure it isn't leaking from around the cowling. We all know water can find it's own way form nearly any source - hell, it could have been from the third taillight mounted on the back of roof and working its way along a channel. If after 10' of supplying water to the lower windshield and cowling there is no water entering, I can further evaluate the upper part of the windshield with the same procedure.

Add to this, the water is dripping directly onto at least one wiring harness, possibly two. It's going to take much more time to determine the alarm/buzzer issue. Baby steps. Did water infiltration corrode any wires? Does water still remain in any wires and is there a short occurring as a result of the water? Did water get into a switch - possibly the E-Brake switch which is directly under the drip vicinity? Is the drip able to enter the fuse box? The fuse box is directly in that vicinity but appears far enough away not to have been getting wet.

While it's not a significant milestone, it's certain a baby step trending in a positive direction locating the drip. Baby steps, baby steps.
Old November 16th, 2021, 10:56 AM
Running On Empty

I went next door to the Mom & Pop service garage to B.S. Turns out automotive supply stores sell tubes of windshield/glass sealant compound. The one fella said be sure to wear gloves because if you get it on your fingers, you'll be wearing it for a month.
Old November 16th, 2021, 12:09 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Man I was on fire today. My wall guy is good at his job, he just needs to stay at his work area. I have a good robot guy and we belted out 25 wheels before first break. The rest of the group, not so much. I ended up doing 10 more wheels over what I was supposed to, which is fine it helps out the other guys. We finished up before 1 and got out at 2. Stopped and paid my property taxes on the way home. Just a couple minutes of waiting.

1962 Dodge M37 Pickup Truck - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

Okay Jamesbo I forgot I saw it when I was looking at the Tuscaloosa listings. It says Gadsden, which is right outside Birmingham. Call him up I'll go with you.

Nice out, gonna head to the other house and putter around. Early again tomorrow. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; November 16th, 2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old November 16th, 2021, 12:37 PM

Greg, Looks like I'll be waiting until Thursday on the furnace. It was off when I came home. There are slots on the front of it, on a removable panel, and a glass peep hole behind that. I never saw any blinking lights, nor did he check any codes when he was here. He checked the pressure switch hose by blowing into it, it does look like a car vacuum line. Just a bit frustrating. Well I'd better get outside and bag up my leaves, we may not have too many more dry days ahead.
Old November 16th, 2021, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I also trimmed some smaller 3" diameter limbs off of the Cherry tree out front that had grown over the roof. I have a small electric Poulan chainsaw that does a decent job for what it is. Probably not the smartest thing wielding a chainsaw with one hand up on a ladder, but I got it done and the mess cleaned up. The total length of each limb was probably around 10 ft.
Sounds like some good BBQ / smoker wood.
Old November 16th, 2021, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Sounds like some good BBQ / smoker wood.
Kenneth - I never thought of that, but you're right. Only issue is, I don't have a smoker, I do have one of the large Weber kettle grills though. When I first moved in here about 12-years ago, I thought the tree was some type of ornamental Cherry, but it just kept getting bigger. About 4-years ago it started bearing cherries, they're small and very tart, and would probably make good pie cherries but we've never tried to harvest them before the birds get them.
Old November 16th, 2021, 01:59 PM

Good afternoon guys,

Dan - I hope it doesn't get too cold in the house before Thursday!

Norm - Glad you think you found the source of the water leak. Hope you can get it resealed and that the leak did not do too much damage..

Got all the stuff I intended to do today done, and a little extra. Got up on the roof, which I I hate, and sprayed the two low pitch shingle trough seams with Flex Seal rubberized spray. I was not enthused with the thin consistency of the product, and wished I had just bought the kind that is thicker and comes in a caulk gun style cartridge. Guess we'll see how it works? Started the 4-4-2 up and drove it around the subdivision for awhile to give it a little exercise. After pulling it back in, I cleaned and polished the aluminum alloy wheels before putting it away again. I had forgotten to clean them when prepping it for storage.

Someone is supposed to be coming soon to check out a dining room table and chair set, so dinner is on hold for awhile. We'll probably just get take-out from some place, I have no idea from where yet???

Hope everyone had a good day and has an even better evening!
Old November 16th, 2021, 02:29 PM

Well, I got the neighbors leaves all bagged up. 65° feels warm compared to the outside temp of 40°.
Old November 16th, 2021, 02:58 PM
Always room for one more

Chris I was going to ask this before but forgot. You said you carried all the furniture up and down the stairs from the basement. You have a walk out basement, why not go out the back door and carry the furniture through the yard, and not on the stairs?

You know at my other house the upstairs furnace doesn't work. The AC works fine, but the furnace does nothing. I'm not going to worry about it right now, as I won't spend very much time upstairs. And since "heat rises" it should be okay. Now, if it turns out all the heat goes upstairs, or tons of cold air comes down, I'll have to rethink that.

Six o'clock and pretty much dark. That's depressing. I'm going to have to get some of those daylight LEDs to put in my fixtures in the house to fool myself into thinking it's still daytime.

Okay dinnertime.

Old November 16th, 2021, 05:14 PM

Chris I was going to ask this before but forgot. You said you carried all the furniture up and down the stairs from the basement. You have a walk out basement, why not go out the back door and carry the furniture through the yard, and not on the stairs?
Mike - Here is what I posted:
"Yesterday afternoon we had a furniture moving palooza around here. My SIL (my wife's brother's wife) brought 2 large pieces of furniture for my wife to refinish, and took one home my wife had completed. Also, another guy came to get 2 pieces she recently sold. That meant carrying 3 pieces up from the basement, and 2 down to the basement. My back was aching all night."
I never mentioned going up and down stairs. In fact, I did just as you suggested and took them out the basement slider and up the hill, or vice versa.

Old November 16th, 2021, 05:18 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - With all the loot your wife is making, I think you might consider installation of an elevator.
Old November 16th, 2021, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - With all the loot your wife is making, I think you might consider installation of an elevator.
Norm - She has been on a roll lately, she just sold the table and chair set those folks came to look at this afternoon. What I really need is for Koda to set me up with one of those conveyor systems like he showed us!
Old November 16th, 2021, 06:56 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - No one is really paying any attention to all those sales & revenue...

Old November 16th, 2021, 07:25 PM

Chris - No one is really paying any attention to all those sales & revenue...

Maggie said, "Go back to sleep Dad, don't pay any attention to that num nut, he's just bustin your *****." So I am, good night!
Old November 17th, 2021, 02:15 AM
Running On Empty

Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike.....

Old November 17th, 2021, 02:38 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning Norm!

Good morning everyone!

Been a good day so far. My wall guy showed up at 4, which was a huge surprise, and we've gotten 15 wheels signed off. That will be an excellent start to our day.

Chris I assumed you meant you used the stairs when you said you carried things up from the basement. I would have guessed, incorrectly, that if you actually left the basement and went up to the driveway you would have said that. My mistake. Just like the judged car shows. Sometimes I'm a little off.

Almost time for everyone else to come in. Hope everyone has a good HUMP DAY!

Old November 17th, 2021, 03:31 AM

Norm, I don't believe Chris' wife owes any Capital gains taxes, I would think it would be ordinary income

In the Netherlands, They would call it "Black money" [undeclared extra income] Like Norm's golf winnings

Chris, I'm voting for you to build her a "She shed"

Got the gables siding hung. Finally found some green screws [that I knew were somewhere] right after I rattle canned some white ones green

One of the bays isn't tall enough [because of land slope] so, I'm going to remove a 2x6 header and brace the rafters up with steel bar stock. I went to a welding shop Monday [because I'm a shitty welder and I wanted it done right] and ordered what I needed It's basically a bar stock angle iron with legs coming down on both ends. The legs will have holes so I can bolit the New steel header to the existing 4x4 post on each side. I also have s bobcat [skid steer] coming to remove some dirt and help spread gravel. Hopefully we should be finished by T-day

Mike, after 50 + years haggling in the real-estate world. I really don't want to negotiate with anyone ever again.

Ya remember those side rails for the trailer? Well the good news is I still have one, Yesterday, I noticed a 2x4 with a lag bolt in it so one of them is MIA and repurposed. Ya need to come up here and get it before I find myself in need of another 2x4 and repurpose the one remaining

Years ago my neighbor [ the late] Mr. Homer Threat wanted to buy some of my black baldie heifers, We stood out in the sun bargaining for a while and finally he said, " I'll pay you $400.00 each and if that one thar don't have a problem calving I'll pay ya another $20

One raining /Sunday morning there was a knock on my door and Mr. Homer had come by to pay me an additional $20 [that I had long since forgotten about] I wish There were more Mr. Homers still around. but there' aren't
Old November 17th, 2021, 04:08 AM
Running On Empty

James - I doubt Chris' wife owes any taxes period - I would not pay dime one for selling furniture based upon a hobby; but, you've now ruined my scheme which was to skim some cash flow from the top of that furniture cash cow resale hobby in exchange for my remaining silent.

I have my own bucket of green, white & stainless steel self-tapping sheet (roofing) metal screws. It always seems the green ones migrate to the bottom of the bucket.

It appears things are moving along nicely for you on the shed - keep up the good work. It's a nice time of year to work outdoors & your efforts will pay off just in time for the winter season.

$20 more if she can drop some live ones, eh? That $20 was causing Mr. Homer to lose sleep at night - good ole' boy.

I've hobbled the truck together to transport my golf clubs and push-cart to the club. Tee-time @ 8:30am. It's 40°F now, supposed to reach mid-70s.
Old November 17th, 2021, 04:42 AM

Norm, In my experience the biggest problems with Heifers calving isn't a dead calf but it's a stuck calve and ya gottta reach up in there tie their hind legs together and pull them out. I once had a friend up here from Manhattan that didn't which end of the cow to milk, He was holding the rope on a cow [that I bought sworn to be bread to a black angus] as we pulled a gigantic Charolais calf out. He could hold a rope but that was about all the help he was

Ya need to save Mayo jars to keep your screws segregated, I have a few hundred saved If ya need me to send you some, Just give me a shout
Old November 17th, 2021, 04:49 AM

QUOTE=Jamesbo;1384258]Norm, I don't believe Chris' wife owes any Capital gains taxes, I would think it would be ordinary income
In the Netherlands, They would call it "Black money" [undeclared extra income] Like Norm's golf winnings
[/QUOTE]

I sure as hell wish I could build her a "she shed" right off the driveway, but the subdivision ****'s would be on me like a fly on $hit! Building one in the back wouldn't buy me anything, we'd still be hauling stuff up and down the hill. Trust me, I am thinking more and more about suggesting we look for a place out in the country, with a couple of nice sized "his & hers" outbuildings with concrete floors and power already to them. I'm a little younger than most of you guys, but I'm not going to be able to handle carrying this furniture forever. Seriously, it wouldn't bother me in the least if she grew tired of this hobby!

James - I doubt Chris' wife owes any taxes period - I would not pay dime one for selling furniture based upon a hobby; but, you've now ruined my scheme which was to skim some cash flow from the top of that furniture cash cow resale hobby in exchange for my remaining silent.

Old November 17th, 2021, 05:45 AM

Good morning guys,

It stayed very warm over night, still 65° at 0730 this morning. Rain and a cold front moving in around 1300, and then Thursday a high around 45° and a low Friday morning of 25°. That's typical early Midwest winter.

I don't have much planned for today. My wife wants to trim the dogs nails sometime today. I'm the straightjacket for that effort. Maggie takes it well, Monty's a different story, if you can even catch him to do it. He's extremely smart and it's like he has a 6th sense when you're trying to pick him up to trim his nails.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Old November 17th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Running On Empty

James - I've been deep in it more than once, more than twice either three or four times. Always a trying position. I was young (14-15 yrs old) the first time. No rope, my uncle went in first and could feel the legs just under the pelvic bone of the calf. He was able to pull the legs rearward towards the mother's canal. It was then when I could just barely make out the little calf hooves starting to come through mom's canal when he very abruptly and immediately said to me grab that leg and pull as hard as you can. Best I recall the second time (the following year) was when I learned you can't deliver a calf in full breech - he lost that calf - I can't recall what happened to the cow. The next time I was involved the same uncle came up to the house from the barn and said I was going swimming and to get my A$$ down to the barn ASAP. He had already been up inside and managed to turn one leg but couldn't get the other leg to budge. The calf was laying on its side and he said we needed to rotate the calf forward. That was extremely difficult, exhausting and terribly soupy, but we managed to turn the calf correctly - my uncle pushing and me pulling at the same time both up to our shoulders in it. Front hooves now forward of the calf's head (rearward of the mother) we pulled like a tug-of-war until we both fell backwards. I think it was that time when he (my uncle) put a sling between the two sides of the stanchion before we could make this delivery - he had to get the cow up in the air (it was laying down). Once on its feet, we fashioned two large straps of something I can't recall between the two sides of the stanchion so the cow was literally hanging by the ropes/leather or whatever it was (maybe some boards or something I can't recall). It was during this same summer time frame I learned how to castrate baby pigs - 40-50 of them with this uncle's son (Lonnie). Two tables set up, 4-5 gallons of alcohol, one of us would pick up the pig, throw it on the table, wash his little peanuts in alcohol, spread em wide, grab the razor blade and you had to do it with one clean stroke of the razor blade and be precise - the razor blade is held into a handle about 6" long - snip and they're gone, and douse the remaining wound with full strength alcohol and watch those little suckers leap from the table and go screaming around the yard. I recall being absolutely astounded they stopped screaming after no more than about one minute.

You learn a lot on a farm at a very young age.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 17th, 2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old November 17th, 2021, 12:57 PM

Norm, You're truly a farm boy. Kinda slippery work

Well, my moving equipment et al to the rear [and new shed] is turning up all kinds of forgotten treasures

Besides 1/2 of Mike's trailer side boards, I found a 5 gallon bucket full of lynch pins and other tractor attachment items. 3 stabilizing bars [ no idea where the 4th could be]

, I should go pick up my custom welded header this week and I've got the Bobcat and gravel scheduled for next week so we MAY make it by T-day

When this project is complete, I'm ordering another construction dumpster. I had one here a few years ago, filled it up and couldn't tell anything was gone. I hope this one provides so noticeable change in the amount of JUNK around here
Old November 17th, 2021, 04:09 PM

Well, along with no heat, my fridge crapped out, so went and bought a new one, can't deliver until Tuesday. I wanted to get a Whirlpool, but the one that I wanted, and most others are a year out, and they would not sell me the floor model. So, I bought an LG stainless side by side, I was looking at the french door models, but I wasn't that impressed with the bottom freezer.
Old November 17th, 2021, 04:29 PM

Good evening guys,

Well I never helped birth a calf or foal, but I did have one disturbing farm experience. My Grandma on my Mom's side used to watch us kids sometimes if our regular sitter wasn't available. I will always remember her as the sweetest, kindest, most giving woman I've ever known. Looking back, I was probably only 8 or 9-years old, I followed her out to the chicken coop, thinking she was going to collect eggs, which I'dwatched her do many times. When we got out there, she promptly scooped up a chicken, grabbed it by the neck, and wrung it, with me right there. Then she got some newspaper and put it on their outdoor picnic table, and showed me how to pluck it and told me to finish it. That was a rude awakening to real farm life!

I had purposely run my truck tank down to the point where the gas light came on because I wanted to run the old gas out of it, and fill it back full with fuel treatment (StaBil 360°) added in it for winter. Wow, $70, that was painful! Then we went to pick up a china cabinet for my wife, different kind of pain.

Got up on the ladder again today, but not all the way up on the roof. Cleaned the leaves out of the front gutters from the Cherry tree. That was about it for me today, pretty slow.

Hope everyone had a great day!

Old November 17th, 2021, 05:03 PM

QUOTE=Jamesbo;1384258]Norm, I don't believe Chris' wife owes any Capital gains taxes, I would think it would be ordinary income
I sure as hell wish I could build her a "she shed" right off the driveway, but the subdivision ****'s would be on me like a fly on $hit! Building one in the back wouldn't buy me anything, we'd still be hauling stuff up and down the hill. Trust me, I am thinking more and more about suggesting we look for a place out in the country, with a couple of nice sized "his & hers" outbuildings with concrete floors and power already to them. I'm a little younger than most of you guys, but I'm not going to be able to handle carrying this furniture forever. Seriously, it wouldn't bother me in the least if she grew tired of this hobby!

Here ya go Chris...

[/QUOTE]
Old November 17th, 2021, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well, along with no heat, my fridge crapped out, so went and bought a new one, can't deliver until Tuesday. I wanted to get a Whirlpool, but the one that I wanted, and most others are a year out, and they would not sell me the floor model. So, I bought an LG stainless side by side, I was looking at the french door models, but I wasn't that impressed with the bottom freezer.
Holy $hit Dan! I sure hope there isn't the perverbial item #3! We like the French door/ separate bottom freezer Samsung we have right now. When we replaced the Whirlpool that was original to the house about 4-years ago, we 1st picked out a Frigidaire. It worked all of 5-days. Those damn appliances are a crap shoot anymore.
Old November 17th, 2021, 05:09 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - It' been my kind of year. Believe me the clothes dryer was not the only item to go South on my this year. I prefer a side-by-side to a lower/upper freezer.

Chris - I routinely watched aunts, uncles & cousins wring live chicken & goose necks, place them over a block of downed tree stump, take the neck & head off with one swift blow below the neck, then hang them to bleed out. One year an uncle (Mom's brother) brought a nice large gander to his sister's (my Mom's sister's) house for Thanksgiving dinner where there were ~20 of us (all family) assembled. I may have told this story in a previous year. The women were boiling up huge pots of water (I think I was ~7 or 8). The call came for everyone to head into the front yard (this is a small very rural country yard & house). My uncle (Mom's brother) had two of his sons (my cousins) wrestle that gander, lay its neck across a block of downed tree stump and with one blow off came the gander's head & I'm freaking out watching it running around ~15 seconds until it dropped over. They bled it out, ripped out the innards, brought it indoors, stuffed it into a wringer washing machine & dumped 7-8 huge buckets of boiling water into the washing machine to prepare for us to pick the feathers. That was so cool - I'll never forget it.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 17th, 2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old November 17th, 2021, 05:17 PM
Running On Empty

I've had a Maytag side-by-side the past 18 years. A thermocoupler went out in it ~6 years ago ($95 part + $90 labor). It runs like a champ. Did I ever tell you guys the story about my clothes dryer going belly up on me this summer?
That beast is set for another 40 years baby. Oh yeah, turn the start switch and that bad boy starts a rolling pronto.
Old November 17th, 2021, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
https://youtu.be/bgIjw6DB7u0

Here ya go Chris...

[/QUOTE]

Norm - That might just be the ticket. Not sure if you could position long dressers or tall china cabinets on it easily though. I might be able to get by with a wide, longer, 4-wheel flatbed dolly with larger pneumatic tires but haven't looked. The hill we have to go up and down to/from the basement is not too steep, and not too long. I think my wife and I could easily push/pull almost any piece up on a dolly as long as it had larger pneumatic tires that would roll easily in the grass.
Old November 17th, 2021, 05:32 PM
Running On Empty

After golf I came home and cleaned out the channel where I'm going to apply this 3M Fast Cure Auto Glass Urethane tomorrow. Baby steps, baby steps. I ordered a new MOTORCRAFT ignition lock cylinder and a new ignition switch. I had to replace the ignition lock cylinder ~6 years ago. I bought a STANDARD product ignition lock cylinder and it has not held up the test of time - therefore, it's getting deep sixed. Next on the agenda for the F250 will be to determine what corrective action is required to stop the darn buzzer from continually buzzing. Surely the water shorted out something (I think). If I remove fuse #41, the buzzing stops (buzzer is located in the GEM module), but I also lose my power windows, power door locks, my 4x4 On-The-Fly, speedometer, radio, speedometer, odometer, gauges & dash back lighting. Most likely I'll have to remove the fuse panel/box and see if I can find the issue there. Baby steps.
Old November 17th, 2021, 05:38 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - That might just be the ticket. Not sure if you could position long dressers or tall china cabinets on it easily though. I might be able to get by with a wide, longer, 4-wheel flatbed dolly with larger pneumatic tires but haven't looked. The hill we have to go up and down to/from the basement is not too steep, and not too long. I think my wife and I could easily push/pull almost any piece up on a dolly as long as it had larger pneumatic tires that would roll easily in the grass.
Chris - Meet Keith, nice chap. I'm Norm.
Old November 17th, 2021, 05:41 PM

Norm - That might just be the ticket. Not sure if you could position long dressers or tall china cabinets on it easily though. I might be able to get by with a wide, longer, 4-wheel flatbed dolly with larger pneumatic tires but haven't looked. The hill we have to go up and down to/from the basement is not too steep, and not too long. I think my wife and I could easily push/pull almost any piece up on a dolly as long as it had larger pneumatic tires that would roll easily in the grass.[/QUOTE]

Norm - Something like this is what I was thinking would work. It has 36" x 72" steel bed and looks to be very heavy duty, and should be for $1,200! This one is sold at Northern Tool. Not sure how much those power wagons are? At some point my back won't care how much it is, anyway if she wants to keep doing it, she can pay for it out of her earnings!

Old November 17th, 2021, 05:44 PM

Norm - Something like this is what I was thinking would work. It has 36" x 72" steel bed and looks to be very heavy duty, and should be for $1,200! This one is sold at Northern Tool. Not sure how much those power wagons are? At some point my back won't care how much it is, anyway if she wants to keep doing it, she can pay for it out of her earnings!

[/QUOTE]
OK
Old November 17th, 2021, 05:50 PM

Norm/Keith - Sorry about that guys, should have looked closer at who I was responding to! Keith, thanks for the suggestion on the Power Wagon, much appreciated!
Old November 17th, 2021, 05:52 PM
Running On Empty

Who in the hell is on first?