The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2022, 01:05 PM

Regarding interior lighting, the hardtop cars have a dome lamp and c pillar lamps. The convertibles obviously don’t have a dome lamp, and the c pillar lamps are relocated to the front of the back seat armrests.
Old February 19th, 2022, 01:10 PM
Running On Empty

I have the c pillar lamps that's not the issue. The issue resolves about the Map Lamp Switch. I'm getting closer to addressing this. I think I have it but I need to write it down. Simply removing the extra wire in the Map Lamp Switch I think is what's causing me the issue. I'm not looking at the diagram, but I don't "think" turning on the Map Lamp Switch would also turn on any other lamp in the car. I think the Map Lamp Switch is isolated from all the other lamps, but I might be wrong. There's a reason the Map Lamp Switch has some type of single throw dipole terminal or double throw dipole terminal or whatever it is. It's used to isolate something from something else I would think.
Old February 19th, 2022, 01:19 PM

Norm yes As the water rises there is less stress ( pulling) on the stationary dock band

Racking means that ramp is/ was twisting toward the shore

It did have legs under it one failed ( folded under) the problem
Old February 19th, 2022, 01:27 PM
Running On Empty

James - I don't believe I've seen a floating dock with legs under it. In fact, I don't believe I've seen a stationary dock with legs under it. Either the platform (dock) is secured to each of the four corner posts and the platform dock is 'stationary' and does not float; or, the dock floats and there is a piling/pillar at each corner - either through the platform or outside of the platform (in which case the floating dock is loosely 'strapped' to the pilings/pillars). I'm really confused.
Old February 19th, 2022, 01:31 PM

Norm
before the boat house was built. The ramp will was much shorter requiring legs to keep the floating dock from ripping off the stationary dock band. It didn't have enough length to let the floating dock sit on the bottom
Old February 19th, 2022, 01:39 PM
Running On Empty

James - OK I see the dilemma, which IMO remains a dilemma and will continue to be a dilemma. You have unwarranted stresses & forces working against each other, IMO. That dock is far from any 'floating' dock I've witnessed. Until the dock (platform) is actually "floating" the issue will remain, IMO. The floating dock needs to have four pillars/pilings - one at each corner however you wish to provide entrapment of the platform e.g. it needs to be "free standing" i.e. "free floating" e.g. unencumbered. It's currently encumbered, IMO. Then, you'll have a floating dock/platform. Anyways, that's the way I see it.
Old February 19th, 2022, 01:41 PM
Running On Empty

James - Do you see my confusion? You stated:

It didn't have enough length to let the floating dock sit on the bottom
What "floating" dock ever sits on the bottom?
Old February 19th, 2022, 01:43 PM
Running On Empty

I mean, yes, a floating dock could "sit" on the bottom when all the water is gone, I get that.
Old February 19th, 2022, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - Do you see my confusion? You stated:

What "floating" dock ever sits on the bottom?
when the lake goes down to where there is no water under it
Old February 19th, 2022, 01:48 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
when the lake goes down to where there is no water under it
Right, OK. But honestly, that is not a floating dock, IMHO. That is a dock attached to a wall, a stationary dock or some other structure. It is not a free floating unencumbered dock which floats up & down in the "VERTICAL" position. It has stresses and forces being applied to it. Again, a free floating platform rises and falls independent of ANY other factors. They are either held in place with pilings in each corner through the platform (dock) floor or the pilings are outside of the platform (dock) floor and the platform (dock) is loosely strapped to the pilings. In both cases, the floating dock rises and falls in the vertical position ONLY at each of the four corners.
Old February 19th, 2022, 01:57 PM

Agreed, the other forces are the issue

But attached or not it does float

Picture the PVC pipe as a measuring device to determine where to place the piling
Old February 19th, 2022, 01:58 PM
Running On Empty

I take that back, I have seen at least one, perhaps two free floating platforms/docks in the middle of at least one lake which was constructed very peculiarly - almost none of us wanted to swim and go out to it, it handle more like a trampoline. This "platorm" (dock) was rather large, maybe 30' x 30' and there was one single huge piling/pillar in the middle of this platform/dock. One of the craziest floating platforms I can recall.
Old February 19th, 2022, 02:03 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Agreed, the other forces are the issue

But attached or not it does float

Picture the PVC pipe as a measuring device to determine where to place the piling
It does not float unencumbered - it does not rise and fall in only the vertical position. If you'll notice on any ramp gangway, only one side is attached with a hinge - the hinge is on the stationary dock, platform, ground or whatever. The other end of the ramp is resting on top of the floating dock/platform. There is no hinge on that side of the platform/dock. So again, if you put in one single pillar/piling I'm not completely sure what that buys you. Heck if you remove that hinge on the floating dock it surely will then "float" - up & down in the vertical position "unencumbered". I suppose you could put in only two pilings/pillars for the floating dock, but you'll have to REMOVE that hinge on the floating dock otherwise it will remain encumbered.
Old February 19th, 2022, 02:08 PM
Running On Empty

I understand now where you're heading - I don't like it. It's still going to remain encumbered by that hinge on the floating dock/platform even after you install one piling. I'm still firmly of the opinion you need to put in a minimum of two pilings/pillars and remove the floating platform/dock hinge so the floating dock/platform remains unencumbered by that hinge and is free to rise and fall vertically and independent of any other outside forces. Put that "ramp" (gangway) on top of the floating platform and allow it to rise and fall on "top" of the platform.
Old February 19th, 2022, 02:23 PM

Norm, i completely understand what you are saying. I've seen those kinds of ramps 100's of times, mostly where tides are a factor. This is a once a year draw down.

Let's not monopolize this thread. I think people are growing tired of my poor floating/ not floating dock
Old February 19th, 2022, 02:41 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm I wanted to tell you this. A few days ago my computer did an automatic update, which I never want it to do, and after that it goes into "cleaning up" mode, which is the same as the update, blue screen of death and a countdown from 0% to 100%. Would that be a countup? Anyway, once it restarted the computer was lightning fast! At least as fast as when it was new. No hanging, no scrolling issues, fast between screens, it was amazing. It was the first time it had ever done this. That lasted about a day and now it's back to its slow-*** self. Eh. Does that cleaning mode have a name, and can I access it from the menu? I assume it was on the order of defrag. I'd do that every day to get that kind of speed.
Mike - You had no BSOD - you're calling it that, but is was not BSOD, believe me.
You can run msconfig.exe until you're blue in the face - it will kill everything which is currently "bad" on your PC until you start to run your PC with bad software, incorrectly configured software, deprecated software which still resides on your PC but which does not function and continuously wastes/consumes resources, etc., etc. The running of msconfig.exe is accomplished as the last tool which runs after a Major OS version Update which occurred from Thursday night through all day yesterday - pushed out my MS. You can run msconfig.exe any time you like, it will work (as I stated) until after some time when the other misconfigured, incorrectly installed, outdated, incompatible software starts to get invoked on your PC and it begins crawling like a worm again. You need to address the underlying issues. Did you remove that Verizon thing software? Is that software still loaded on your PC? Get rid of it.

I run msconfig.exe from an elevated Command Line (Administrator) - Method 1 (below). There are plenty of ways to find and execute msconfig.exe. Google is your friend.

How to access MsConfig in Windows 10/11

EDIT: Oh yeah, thinking you already knew this (doh!). Yeah, that "cleaning mode" is called msconfig.exe

Last edited by Vintage Chief; February 19th, 2022 at 02:44 PM.
Old February 19th, 2022, 02:58 PM
Running On Empty

Sleep well my lovelies......

Old February 19th, 2022, 03:53 PM

Good evening guys,

Today became new, old music, day for me, thanks to an Amazon gift card given to me by my girls for my birthday last November. I was getting tired of listening to my current CD collection that I usually only listen to when I'm working out on my cardio machine. Whatever CD I'm listening to while I'm working out needs to be at least 45-minutes long so that I don't run out of music during my workout. So I picked these out a few days ago and they all came today. I will need to spend some time over the next couple of days just to make sure they will load properly and the sound quality is decent.

L-R, T-B: Bob Seger, "Live Bullet"; Bob Seger, "Night Moves"; Rolling Stones, "Hot Rocks"; Aerosmith, "The Essentials", AC/DC, "AC/DC Live", Bob Dylan, "Blood on the Tracks"; Three Dog Night, "The Complete Hit Singles"; Neil Diamond, "Hot August Night"; Paul McCartney and Wings, "Wings Greatest"

Five of these (2 Segers, Stones, Dylan, and Diamond) I have on vinyl, but never had them on CD. I'm anxious to listen to all of them.

Hope everyone has a great evening!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 19th, 2022 at 03:55 PM.
Old February 19th, 2022, 04:11 PM
Always room for one more

Norm are you talking about the map light switch under the rear view mirror or the blue-lensed lights under the dash, above the radio? I've only ever seen one wire, a grey one, going to the light on the RVM. Kenneth I didn't know the coupes had C pillar lights. Makes sense the convertible replaces those with the armrest lights. My four doors(s) don't have C pillar lights. Maybe the Supremes would.

I don't remember discussing the Verizon software on the computer. So no, I never removed it. It is absolutely the blue screen of death, because when the update starts going, I know it will be at least 10-15 minutes before I can use the computer. I know I keep threatening, but one of these days it will be the brown screen of death, when it hits the bottom of the lake.

So I've definitively found my problem. I took out about a one foot square section of drywall from the corner of the washing machine area. The discharge comes out of the sump pump goes about a foot, and turns up. There is a one way valve about 6 inches above that, and a shut off valve about 4 inches above that. I took a line off the back of the washing machine and ran water into the WM discharge, and when the pump came on, water spurted out of the one way valve like Buckingham Fountain. The housing is cracked all the way around it. Why TF people hide things like this behind a wall is beyond me. I'm gonna let it dry out a couple days then go in with a new valve. I may just leave it exposed, the rest of the basement sucks so what does it matter.

Jamesbo talk about the dock all night, I don't care. Good on you for being able to figure out what to make it do.

Old February 19th, 2022, 04:18 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
It is absolutely the blue screen of death, because when the update starts going, I know it will be at least 10-15 minutes before I can use the computer. I know I keep threatening, but one of these days it will be the brown screen of death, when it hits the bottom of the lake.
As I stated it is NOT a BSOD, but hey - find a way to convince yourself I guess you should know.
Old February 19th, 2022, 06:44 PM

Mike, my Supreme had the optional courtesy lighting package (Y-60 maybe?).
The map light was standard ( for Supremes that is) U29 code.

Last edited by Fun71; February 19th, 2022 at 06:51 PM.
Old February 20th, 2022, 03:59 AM

Dan, I just looked back and noticed your comment about stiches, You had oral surgery? Hope all is well.
Mike glad you found the water leak.
Old February 20th, 2022, 05:12 AM

What is left of 2 poke shoulders afternoon eating one
i cooked them 8 hours at 300 degrees

Old February 20th, 2022, 05:47 AM
Running On Empty

James - Mouth watering....
Old February 20th, 2022, 06:06 AM

James - Yummy 😋! BBQ sammiches with the rest??? That would be my plan!!!
Old February 20th, 2022, 06:19 AM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Cold this morning. Some day I'll have a garage I can park the car in and it won't be all frozen in the morning. Eh, I found an ice scraper and that makes short order of things. Sun is out, supposed to be 60. Don't think it made it yesterday.

Got to the Awful house early this morning, and left early. Now I need to figure out what to do with my day. Since I'm not working for four more days I don't need to go to the grocery store, and it's too cold for the junkyard. I might go there this afternoon. So it looks like schlepping stuff to the house. I'm gonna work on the washing machine debacle tomorrow.

Guess I'll get to it. Tiger has had his breakfast, got the whole day ahead of us.

Peace

Old February 20th, 2022, 06:47 AM

Good morning guys,

Already 40° at 0830 with full sunshine and headed towards a high around 62°. Woo-hoo!

Got up early an checked out the loading and sound quality of my new CD's, they all sounded great! New music for my workout this afternoon, I'm excited.

Going out around 1100 to pick up some antique furniture pieces for my wife to refinish. We'll need to drive the truck because they're two decent sized dressers. One is very unique looking, I'll post a pic of it later. I'll need to go out ahead of time to make sure the truck is going to start, it's been a few weeks since it's been started. I think it will be fine, I haven't had any issues since I bought that solar powered battery maintainer. That thing is $40 well spent and I'd recommend it to anyone who has a vehicle that sits outside and doesn't get driven very often.

Hope everyone has a great day! Got this pic of the dogs this morning, it put a smile on my face, hope it does the same for you!

Big Bro's watch out for Lil Sis's
Old February 20th, 2022, 08:50 AM

Worked yesterday morning and early afternoon from 6 to 2. Went and ran errands afterwards, the record store in the hood, the liquor store next door in the hood, Menards (big chain hardware store), then didn't want to go grocery shopping so I ordered a carryout pizza at a Papa Johns that has a drive through (which is excellent). Best music selection and liquor selection is in the hood.

Got home, had pizza, then built a dim bulb tester, which is an electrical device consisting of a switch, one receptacle in a duplex outlet, then the other, all in series. You plug a light into the first outlet, and an old piece of audio equipment you want to test in another. Plug in, flip switch, the light should go bright then dim immediately. If it does not dim, your equipment has a dead short and needs repaired before full power up. This receiver I was given passed, so I hooked it up. Other than blasting my ears once with a wrong setting, it sounds good.

Old February 20th, 2022, 08:55 AM
Running On Empty

I used to build a very similar device when teaching college students the delta between ionic bonds and covalent bonds....
Old February 20th, 2022, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Koda

John - Really nice Vintage Receiver, I'm jealous!
Old February 20th, 2022, 11:18 AM

Koda—- I just recently read about the importance of using that tester and how to build one. It is on my list to do soon

Our main unit is down after having been repaired at a shop once. It’s a 50 watt per channel marantz. It has lost the lows out of one channel Before that it was great

four hours including lunch and
running to get concrete To be fair I dug the holes last week…. At least for now they are plumb and in a plane with eachother

Old February 20th, 2022, 12:34 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by mattking
running to get concrete To be fair I dug the holes last week…. At least for now they are plumb and in a plane with eachother
Nice & plumb. I spent nearly the entire summer plumbing. Good work - posts look nice.
Old February 20th, 2022, 12:42 PM

I did the two end post first and pulled a string tight. Leveled the rest and let them just touch or almost touch the string close enough for a trellis anyway. I really like the paint. It’s the black beauty fence paint from tractor supply. 40$/5 gallons. Some sort or tar or asphalt base. Used a 3/4” nap 4” roller.

Last edited by mattking; February 20th, 2022 at 02:16 PM.
Old February 20th, 2022, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by mattking
I did the two end post first and pulled a string tight. Leveled the rest and let them just touch or almost touch the string close enough for a trellis anyway. I really light the paint. It’s the black beauty fence paint from tractor supply. 40$/5 gallons. Some sort or tar or asphalt base. Used a 3/4” nap 4” roller.
That's gonna be really nice Matt! Keeping the sun from beating down on that metal all day should help alot!
Old February 20th, 2022, 01:17 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
That's gonna be really nice Matt! Keeping the sun from beating down on that metal all day should help alot!
I know the paint you're referring to and I see it quite often in various stores by various manufacturers. Like an asphalt-based paint. I used it quite some time ago, makes a nice moisture proof coating on various substrates both above and below ground. I used a couple 5 gal. buckets on some concrete & CBU walls after I shored them up. Goes on nice with a roller. Looks good.
Old February 20th, 2022, 01:21 PM
Running On Empty

Removed the tarps from the Hydrangeas, folded them up and put into man-cave. Next Monday is supposed to be a possible freeze night, as well. So, the stakes, boards & bricks used to hold the tarps in place will remain in the yard until then.
Old February 20th, 2022, 02:15 PM
Bfg

Any thoughts of NASCAR ever going with electric cars on the track?
Old February 20th, 2022, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Removed the tarps from the Hydrangeas, folded them up and put into man-cave. Next Monday is supposed to be a possible freeze night, as well. So, the stakes, boards & bricks used to hold the tarps in place will remain in the yard until then.
Norm - I know the feeling. Mid-60's today thru Tuesday here, then the bottom drops out with a low of 20° Wednesday morning and a high of only 30°, just nuts!
Old February 20th, 2022, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bfg
I'd say I'd hope not, the damn tree huggers have ruined everything....then I remember that nascar is already ruined.
Old February 20th, 2022, 02:46 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Bfg
Some form of exhibition series, perhaps.