The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2022, 06:55 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I don’t have that issue, I own a motorcycle platform lift. But, a suggestion. Consider buying a motorcycle scissor lift. They’re very handy. Several turns of the crank the bike is up off the floor.
Old March 15th, 2022, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Do you have a way to transport the Olds and the four new tires/wheels to the shop?
Kenneth - This shop is only about 5-miles from me. I'd take the tires/wheels in the pic over to the shop ahead of time in my truck. Then I'd drive the 4-4-2 up there with the tires/wheels that are currently on it, 17" REV brand polished aluminum (pic). Then I'd drive my truck back up there and pick up the one's he took off..

I really like the look of the wheels that are on it now, but I've had several "purists" say they like the look of the SS1's better. Thought I might drive it for at least a season with the SS1's and see if the OEM style wheels got me any more points from the judges at local shows?

Current wheels on the car
Old March 15th, 2022, 07:17 PM
Running On Empty

If it’s points you’re after put on red stripes. Those BF Goodrich Raised White Letter weren’t available as an OEM option in 1967 I don’t believe.
Old March 15th, 2022, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - I don’t have that issue, I own a motorcycle platform lift. But, a suggestion. Consider buying a motorcycle scissor lift. They’re very handy. Several turns of the crank the bike is up off the floor.
Norm - Maybe I just don't understand or can't visualize how the motorcycle sits on a scissor jack, but if the drain plugs are directly underneath the center main frame of the bike, how do you get to them with the bike on a scissor jack, plus get an oil pan under it?
Old March 15th, 2022, 07:35 PM

If it’s points you’re after put on red stripes. Those BF Goodrich Raised White Letter weren’t available as an OEM option in 1967 I don’t believe.
Norm - I'd seriously consider putting some red lines on those SS1's if the BFG's weren't just like new. I'm not going to throw away $600 worth of tires for a few extra points at a local show. Personally though, I like the looks of raised white letter tires better than the red lines.
Old March 15th, 2022, 07:46 PM
Running On Empty

The weight distribution of the motorcycle is not exactly dead center. Scissor jack sets some distance from the drain plug. But, you’ll have to determine that for yourself. Other guys do this, I used to do it with others bikes. You can fabricate a board or boards to use in the jack to accommodate the drain plug - much like a small raised platform on the scissor jack. That actually make some that are metal - I own those also. Just offering suggestions, is all.
Old March 15th, 2022, 07:51 PM
Running On Empty

I actually put my bike on my pneumatic/hydraulic lift, raise the lift, slide the scissor jack underneath and raise the bike on the scissor lift high enough for my oil catchment pan. I cut the bottom off a 5 gallon plastic bucket I use as my oil catchment pan.
Old March 15th, 2022, 07:54 PM
Running On Empty

If my RLW tires weren’t new I’d be sporting red stripes w/o question.
Old March 15th, 2022, 07:57 PM

The weight distribution of the motorcycle is not exactly dead center. Scissor jack sets some distance from the drain plug. But, you’ll have to determine that for yourself. Other guys do this, I used to do it with others bikes. You can fabricate a board or boards to use in the jack to accommodate the drain plug - much like a small raised platform on the scissor jack. That actually make some that are metal - I own those also. Just offering suggestions, is all.
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions. I will take a look at some scissor jacks, and I think I'll take a gander at some platform jacks as well. At one time I was considering purchasing dual platform hydraulic jacks you would drive you car up on and it would lift it about 18" - 30" above the floor. They had an accessory pack that would quickly convert one of the platforms to a motorcycle lift, that's a thought too.
Old March 15th, 2022, 08:07 PM
Running On Empty

Lots of styles available. Mine is a true motorcycle lift operates both pneumatic & hydraulic. Raises to I believe 47” off floor. Weight capacity I think is 1200 lbs. has the rear slide-out to remove rear wheel, rear support lift stanchions, two front tie-downs, and front wheel clamp. I also have the two optional 12” side rails. I frickin’ love a motorcycle lift.
Old March 15th, 2022, 08:11 PM
Running On Empty

My lift years ago after I purchased assembled…

Old March 15th, 2022, 08:12 PM

Lots of styles available. Mine is a true motorcycle lift operates both pneumatic & hydraulic. Raises to I believe 47” off floor. Weight capacity I think is 1200 lbs. has the rear slide-out to remove rear wheel, rear support lift stanchions, two front tie-downs, and front wheel clamp. I also have the two optional 12” side rails. I frickin’ love a motorcycle lift.
Norm - That sounds like a really nice lift! Here is a link to those dual platform lifts that can also be adapted to use as a motorcycle lift.
https://www.quickjack.com/car-lifts/7000tl/

Old March 15th, 2022, 08:20 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I’ve seen those lifts. Personally I’d never own one. I own a 3-ton hydraulic floor jack and six 3-ton stands. I prefer solid metal jack stands.
Old March 15th, 2022, 08:26 PM
Running On Empty

With a scissor jack under the bike frame you should easily be able to lift the bike several inches to get an oil drain pan underneath. Cut off the bottom of a five gallon bucket about 5” - 6” in height. Should slide right underneath.
Old March 15th, 2022, 08:51 PM

My lift years ago after I purchased assembled…

https://youtu.be/7bbaevwW_n4
You've got enough saddlery for me to expect said bike to neigh.

Chris, if it's not OCA nationals, don't sweat judges. If it's not a concourse show, no one is going to ding you for either rim discussed, or either tire. Plus, where it matters to a judge, those SSI's aren't original equipment, either. Any judge worth his salt would ding you for discs and any kind of SSI if he was going for originality in 67, as the 14x6 SSIs could not do them except for a small run in 1969. Don't let it bug you. Run what looks and rides best.
Old March 15th, 2022, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Chris, if it's not OCA nationals, don't sweat judges. If it's not a concourse show, no one is going to ding you for either rim discussed, or either tire. Plus, where it matters to a judge, those SSI's aren't original equipment, either. Any judge worth his salt would ding you for discs and any kind of SSI if he was going for originality in 67, as the 14x6 SSIs could not do them except for a small run in 1969. Don't let it bug you. Run what looks and rides best.
John - Honestly, I do not enter locally judged shows with either the desire or the expectation of winning or placing. However, I am also honest enough to admit I have a competitive streak, and take pride in trying to have my car look it's best for a show, without trying to spend a bunch of $'s and hours trying to get it back to OEM original status. After a judged show, if a judge or judges are available for questions, I will ask if there are things on the car that I could improve or change that would garner me more points in their eyes. More than any other thing on the car, I've had judges say original style wheels. I know, I know, my wheels are 15" repros, but at least they look like the original SS1's and have the Rocket logo. My car is what it is, usually getting put in a class of "1965 - 1972 Muscle Cars", where my car is put up against some really nice Hemi Cuda's, Chevelle 454 SS's, GTO Judges, etc., and it's a tough hill to climb, especially when most local judges don't know squat about Oldsmobiles. No matter what the outcome, I still have a blast, and just really enjoy talking with all the other car owners and spectators.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 15th, 2022 at 09:28 PM.
Old March 16th, 2022, 12:52 AM

Just MHO

BUT Car show, dog show, horse shows are not about cars, dogs or horses, They are about egos

Yes, I've met some nice people and seen some great cars but in the end it all boils down to how ,much time and money you want to invest. One of the nicest cars I've ever seen at a BOP show was a 56 Buick that was so clean you could eat off the firewall . Rare/desirable ? not particularly, But the owner had spent ALOT if time on it
Old March 16th, 2022, 04:05 AM

Hey guys, who is going to the Olds Nationals 2022? I just got registered, and got reservations at the Courtyard by Marriot which is across the lot from the host hotel. We think wifey will be recovered and will go.
Old March 16th, 2022, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Just MHO

BUT Car show, dog show, horse shows are not about cars, dogs or horses, They are about egos

Yes, I've met some nice people and seen some great cars but in the end it all boils down to how ,much time and money you want to invest. One of the nicest cars I've ever seen at a BOP show was a 56 Buick that was so clean you could eat off the firewall . Rare/desirable ? not particularly, But the owner had spent ALOT if time on it
Jim - I've never been to a horse show or a dog show, although I do like watching the famous dog shows on TV once in awhile. I just like to see all the varieties of dogs.

Before I bought my 4-4-2, I would only go to car shows occasionally when they were close by and convenient. I always enjoyed them for the same reason I like watching dog shows on TV, I enjoy seeing all the different makes/models. I've found the experience of going to shows as an owner vs. a spectator very different so far. Maybe it's the small town, low key nature of most of the shows I enter, where there's no huge trophy or purse involved, but so far I've found the camaraderie outweighs the egos, and I'm really glad that's been my experience. I can't begin to explain how much I enjoy it when a spectator stops and says, "My Dad had one of those", or "I used to have one of those in highschool", and then wants to talk about their experience and my car. Happy memories are such a powerful emotion, and it's fun to hear everyone's stories. Heck, that's the reason I bought the car I did, my Dad had a '67 Cutlass Supreme (no 4-4-2 option), and I always thought it was the prettiest car we ever had when I was growing up. No doubt egos become a big part of it at large prestigious shows, but I'm glad I'm not seeing much of that. Entering these shows is still new to me, and maybe the luster will wane with time, but I'm sure enjoying it as a hobby right now, and learning a bunch of stuff along the way. Just my 2-cents, and where my head's at on the subject.
Old March 16th, 2022, 04:44 AM

I enjoy car show/ swap meets events. I will take the Olds or old truck and just park it, then walk to swap meet or other events. Sometimes wife stays around car with a lawn chair and talks to people, usually not me. I usually never know who won plaques, etc. I have found that with drivers like mine there will always be nicer more perfect cars than mine. i actually like just cruising around to small towns, etc. Then people will come up and talk. That is fun, especially when they mention when their Dad had a car just like mine with a turbo charged 426 Hemi numbers matching flat head in it.....yuk yuk...
Old March 16th, 2022, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hey guys, who is going to the Olds Nationals 2022? I just got registered, and got reservations at the Courtyard by Marriot which is across the lot from the host hotel. We think wifey will be recovered and will go.
Greg - I'm really going to try and get over there for a day or two. It's about 325-miles for me, so I doubt I'll have the ***** to drive my 4-4-2 over there. The farthest I've ever driven it in one day is about 150-miles. I'm gonna have to wait to make any definite plans until I see how my wife's surgery goes, and pray there are no unknown surprises. I'd really like to go at least once.
Old March 16th, 2022, 06:56 AM
Jeff

Chris, I'd personally never put those SSI's on the car. I know I'm in the minority, but I hate SSI's. The wheels you have on it now look a million times better, IMO.
Old March 16th, 2022, 07:20 AM
Bfg

That 55 mph limit will never fly, back in the 70’s no one paid any attention to it, no one doesn’t even stay at 70 mph now!
Old March 16th, 2022, 08:04 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Bfg
That 55 mph limit will never fly, back in the 70’s no one paid any attention to it, no one doesn’t even stay at 70 mph now!
I know it's not just me that's noticed it, but since the pandemic began, there are more people driving significantly faster than the posted limits on the expressways. I just set my cruise to about 4-5mph over the posted limit, and stay out of their way.
Old March 16th, 2022, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Chris, I'd personally never put those SSI's on the car. I know I'm in the minority, but I hate SSI's. The wheels you have on it now look a million times better, IMO.
Jeff - Certainly appreciate your opinion. I like the looks of SSI's, but like I said previously, I like the looks of the one's on there right now better. I'll think on it some more before I pull the trigger
Old March 16th, 2022, 12:59 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Well would you lookee here, the sun is out and there's blue sky. I walked past the roll up door a couple times today and it was always cloudy. This is a nice change.

Work was okay, we finished up towards the end. No issues to speak of, just slow.

And that's about it for a Hump Day. I think the big excitement will be laundry.

Peace

Old March 16th, 2022, 01:38 PM

Well Chris, concerning the wheel choice, I like both sets, I also like redlines on pre '70 cars, but they are expensive. 1969 was the last year that both Olds and Pontiac offered redlines from the factory, and raised white letters first appeared that year as well for both of those car makers. Not sure about Buick and Chevy, my guess is that it happened to all divisions at the same time. Well, that little red light on my dash made itself known yesterday, stopped by the Hyundai dealer for a diagnosis, it's the catalytic converter, a $800 bill...bull***** i just turned over 100k on the odo. They say the warranty is 8 years 80,000 miles. I pointed out that I have never had to replace a cat on any car that I ever owned, and have put on many more miles that what this has on it. In my opinion, the cat is failing do to oil consumption, I have to add 1-2 qts between changes. The service tech agreed, but Hyundai won't replace it. Due to rod bearing failures, and a class action lawsuit, the engine will be replaced for free if it bites the big one due to the bearing failure ( I guess I have to trust them to tell me why it goes to pot) The tech said that keep the oil up to par, as they have to take a pic of the dipstick and show it to the powers that be, in order to have the engine replaced. of course he also pointed out that these engines ( 2.4 GDI) fail at about 120,000 miles. maybe I'll just wait for the damn cat to get clogged and overheat, and burn the car to the ground. Now Chris, not that I want to be a naggy nellie, but don't you have one of these as well? The all GM car show will be a first at the Gilmore, and I would bet that there will be a good turnout, as that is a good venue for car shows. The Red Barns spectacular had 1200 cars at the last show before covid hit. Most shows that I have been at (usually 2-3 times a year) have at the minimum, 200 cars, and the fall musclecar show usually had 500-700 cars. But, I agree that family is more important for your visit to B.C.
Old March 16th, 2022, 01:46 PM

I just had a look at my '67 Olds brochure. It has a rendering of a 442 w/SSI's. My buddy had a '68 442 that he bought used in 1974, which had them as well, and they were 14x6.
Old March 16th, 2022, 02:31 PM
Jeff

It's ironic that Hyundai is using a song with a line, "Every now and then I fall apart" in a commercial. A buddy has a Sorrento (I think) that got the engine replaced. Started with significant oil consumption, then turned into a Rolls Canardly. Rolls down one hill, can hardly get up the next.
Old March 16th, 2022, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I just had a look at my '67 Olds brochure. It has a rendering of a 442 w/SSI's. My buddy had a '68 442 that he bought used in 1974, which had them as well, and they were 14x6.
Dan - I already knew for sure the SSI's were available in '67. I have several brochures, sale ads, etc. that show them as offered on the 4-4-2's. On my show sign (pic) in the ad displayed on the left, it shows a pic of an SSI.

Zoom in on the ad on the left and you'll see the pic of an SSI.

I'm still on the fence of which ones I'll run this season. You have a very good memory, I do have a Santa Fe Sport, 2017 with the 2.4L. Mine is a 2017 but I only have 35K-miles on it right now. So far, no abnormal oil consumption but there shouldn't be with that low mileage. Have you seen the newest recall concerning the brake switch that can cause the vehicle to catch on fire even if it is not running? They are strongly suggesting owners to park them outside of their garage,, away from their homes! OMG!!! I haven't gotten any official notice yet from Hyundai, or called the dealer to see if they're prepared to make fixes. I'd like to unload the damn thing before the mileage gets any higher, but I know I'll probably take a beating on it. What year is yours?

Old March 16th, 2022, 03:19 PM

Good evening guys,

Absolutely gorgeous day here, not a cloud in the sky and it's 75° at 1700.

So much for best laid plans. Got up this morning with every intention of servicing the 4-4-2, and then around 0900, before I got started luckily, our entire subdivision lost our water supply. Well, there was no way in hell I was going to get greasy and grimy without water to clean up with. Apparently a water main broke and our subdivision was down flow from the break. The water didn't come back until after 1500, and by then it was too late to start in on the 4-4-2, so I washed our Hyundai. I haven't seen any type of notice about a boil order associated with the break. It's supposed to be another nice day tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get the 4-4-2 serviced then.

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old March 16th, 2022, 04:06 PM

Chris, mine is a 2017 Santa Fe. Did you get paperwork in regards to the class action lawsuit? I have gotten a couple, the last one gives a bit of info on engine coverage/replacement. It noted that this copy should be kept in the glovebox, where I did indeed put it. The brake switch recall notices aren't supposed to go into the mail until April. What sucks is I know that I will have zero trade in value on this thing. I should've bit the bullet and stepped up to a Honda or Toyota. Jeff, my buddy's daughter has a 2017 Tuscon that had the engine replaced when it was less than a year old. They did it for free.
Old March 16th, 2022, 04:14 PM

For you guys who have commented on my conundrum (of my own making) of whether to put my set of SSI's on my car this Spring, I thought I might throw up these two pics together. I believe I only have this one pic from when the previous owner had them on the car. Feel free to comment, or not, I just thought you guys that commented might actually want to see the car with the SSI's on there.

Old March 16th, 2022, 04:22 PM

Well, if you're gonna twist my arm I like the SSI's the most, but the other set looks good as well, and that is a very popular wheel, I have seen them on a lot of cars at the shows.
Old March 16th, 2022, 04:35 PM

Chris, mine is a 2017 Santa Fe. Did you get paperwork in regards to the class action lawsuit? I have gotten a couple, the last one gives a bit of info on engine coverage/replacement. It noted that this copy should be kept in the glovebox, where I did indeed put it. The brake switch recall notices aren't supposed to go into the mail until April. What sucks is I know that I will have zero trade in value on this thing. I should've bit the bullet and stepped up to a Honda or Toyota. Jeff, my buddy's daughter has a 2017 Tuscon that had the engine replaced when it was less than a year old. They did it for free.
Dan - Yes, I believe I have gotten all the paperwork on the Class Action Lawsuit and the engine coverage/replacement program. However, I must have missed the fine print about keeping that last notice about the replacement program in the glove box. I'll have to dig it out and stick it in there. Unfortunately, I agree with you that we probably can't get squat for the damn things. Damned if we do, and damned if we don't!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 16th, 2022 at 04:40 PM.
Old March 16th, 2022, 04:49 PM

I like the SSI's better Chris, but both look great, I think the only reason I like original type wheels is because I am used to the look. What rear gears does your 442 have? If it has 3.08's or so then that 325 mile drive to the Nats would be a piece of cake. Now if it has 3.42 or higher I understand why you might not want to. But really driving the Olds is one of the reasons for going- it really is fun.
Old March 16th, 2022, 04:51 PM

Well, if you're gonna twist my arm I like the SSI's the most, but the other set looks good as well, and that is a very popular wheel, I have seen them on a lot of cars at the shows.
No arm twisting here , but I do really appreciate your honest opinion. I like them both too, and I'm torn about what to do. Like I told Jeff, I'm gonna think on it awhile longer before making a decision.
Old March 16th, 2022, 05:16 PM
Running On Empty

SSIs
Old March 16th, 2022, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I like the SSI's better Chris, but both look great, I think the only reason I like original type wheels is because I am used to the look. What rear gears does your 442 have? If it has 3.08's or so then that 325 mile drive to the Nats would be a piece of cake. Now if it has 3.42 or higher I understand why you might not want to. But really driving the Olds is one of the reasons for going- it really is fun.
Greg - Thanks for your opinion on wheel choice, much appreciated! Car has the TH400 tranny and 3.55 anti-spin rear end. Averaging about 10 to 11mpg if I don't have my foot in it, and I really need to burn 93 Octane. That thing would eat me alive with the current gas prices. No doubt it would be alot of fun having it over there though!
Old March 16th, 2022, 05:24 PM

SSIs
Thanks for your opinion Norm, much appreciated!