The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2022, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
That's pretty cool.
Thanks Dan! I thought the actual Ads could describe the key attributes of the car better than me just listing a bunch of features, plus the added color and graphics of the Ads. I need to take the signs off and paint the poster board, it got sun faded in just one season.
Old March 23rd, 2022, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jim/Chris - Thanks.

Spanked it today....

Won the shootout - 1st place. Shot a 37 & won one skin. A good day at work.
You did spank it . . . nice shootin and congrats!
Old March 23rd, 2022, 06:06 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
You did spank it . . . nice shootin and congrats!
Chris - Thanks.
Old March 23rd, 2022, 09:12 PM
Always room for one more

Whoa I'm beat. Went over and finished the touch up paint, then started cleaning the bathroom. Then I remembered I had to take something to my neighbor, so I came back and went to his house. Found out he's old Delta so we talked for two hours. Went and got a bite then went back to clean some more, then my Mom called and said they were 10 minutes from the hotel, so I went over there. Just got home.

I've got probably 5 signs, all of them repro. I'd like to get a couple neon light up signs, nothing in particular, I want to put stuff like that up in the basement. I was thinking of painting the walls, poured concrete, but I don't think I'll bother. I think it will be more of a mess than it's worth.

I get awful cell phone reception at this house. Is there some kind of booster I can get to help the signal out? Can I call Verizon and get something from them? They'd be all too happy to fix me up with something I didn't need and then make me wait two years to change it.

Okay gonna hit the sack. Might have a third party going to the Awful house in the morning.

Old March 24th, 2022, 06:53 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
I get awful cell phone reception at this house. Is there some kind of booster I can get to help the signal out? Can I call Verizon and get something from them? They'd be all too happy to fix me up with something I didn't need and then make me wait two years to change it.
Mike - There are a couple things you can "try" to increase your coverage, besides the annoying run around the house/yard trying to find some "special" spot when there most likely isn't some special spot. All cell phones depend on communicating with the nearest cell tower, but not all cell phones perform this communication equally. Older phones often lack h/w &/or s/w to communicate effectively - especially on new 3G and greater networks - so, this is a consideration; but, let's try a couple other approaches first:

(1) Remove your phone case if you have a phone case & see if your reception is better. No need to discuss the type of phone case, material used to make the phone case, etc. - many are different - just give it a try - they can influence reception & especially for older phones;
(2) It's critical you have the most recent Updates for your phone. Navigate to your phone settings and check for any available software Updates & install them;
(3) Ensure WiFi Calling is enabled (below link for the Verizon network on iPhone). You have to enable HD Voice (no biggie). Read the link.

After this, if nothing above helps, I can provide you more tricks/tips. A home signal booster is the easiest (yes, they're available) but they're not "cheep". Low end price range is $300, best price range is $500, ultimate price range (signal) is ~$1,000.

How To Enable WiFi Calling On iPhone for Verizon network
Old March 24th, 2022, 11:12 AM

Hi guys,
I think most of us take an interest in checking out new auto models when they come out. When the new Ford Broncos came out, I liked the retro look of the one's I saw. Since I wasn't in the market for a new vehicle, I never really paid attention to the asking prices until I saw this Ad today in our local small town newspaper.

OMG, $68K, for a 4-door Bronco with a 2.7L V6! This is just insanity!!!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 24th, 2022 at 11:17 AM.
Old March 24th, 2022, 11:17 AM
Running On Empty

Replacement of my 2003 F-250 with same/similar equipment hovers ~$82K. Not sure if it comes w/ the automajic seat ***** to Phuque yourself at that price - it should.
Old March 24th, 2022, 11:21 AM

Norm, And that is why I'm gonna drive mine until the wheels fall off and then get new wheels 311k and still getting me from point A to ;point B
Old March 24th, 2022, 11:23 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - x2 - same for me.
Old March 24th, 2022, 11:33 AM

Norm, When I got to be and ole phart, I bought one of these and I love it

Old March 24th, 2022, 11:34 AM

I have purchased several new vehicles over the past 40-years, and always prided myself in saving up to pay cash and not having to finance the vehicle. I don't think I'll ever be able to do that again! So, I probably will never buy a new one again. Like Jim, I'll drive the 2000 Ford truck until the wheels fall off and it rusts into oblivion! As for a daily driver, the next one will be a used something too! They've definitely priced me out of buying anything new!
Old March 24th, 2022, 11:53 AM
Running On Empty

There doesn't exist a single automobile dealer who ever wants to receive USD cash for the purchase of any automobile. They make large $$ on the back-end (both finance interest & insurance); so, they'd just as soon have you stab them in the eyeball. When I had a real job for which I was paid far too much money I walked in the dealership (after they found the truck I wanted) and laid down 500 Benjamins. It looked like I had won a steer wrangling championship there were so many sales personnel gathered in the office.
Old March 24th, 2022, 12:12 PM

There doesn't exist a single automobile dealer who ever wants to receive USD cash for the purchase of any automobile. They make large $$ on the back-end (both finance interest & insurance); so, they'd just as soon have you stab them in the eyeball. When I had a real job for which I was paid far too much money I walked in the dealership (after they found the truck I wanted) and laid down 500 Benjamins. It looked like I had won a steer wrangling championship there were so many sales personnel gathered in the office.
Yeah, saying "I'm paying CASH" and expecting a deal is in the Top Ten Bad Boomer Pieces of Advice list. It used to work because they didn't want the paperwork, but that stopped in the 80s or 90s as the paperwork is all the same since then. They won't tell you that "this price is contingent on us bending you over at the financing table" but it is. Nail down the price (and get the financed, we expect to put it in you price), then start to pay cash and watch them try to adjust the price up.
Old March 24th, 2022, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Yeah, saying "I'm paying CASH" and expecting a deal is in the Top Ten Bad Boomer Pieces of Advice list. It used to work because they didn't want the paperwork, but that stopped in the 80s or 90s as the paperwork is all the same since then. They won't tell you that "this price is contingent on us bending you over at the financing table" but it is. Nail down the price (and get the financed, we expect to put it in you price), then start to pay cash and watch them try to adjust the price up.
John - You're absolutely correct. I've had it happen like that more than once. There's more than one way to skin a cat though. Accept the financing if you're getting a better deal on the price, and then pay it all off at the first payment. Once upon a time, when I had a real job, I was a contract writer and administrator. I have never read anything in those dealership sales agreements regarding a minimum finance charge. So, on more than one occasion, I paid the interest charge on the 1st installment, plus the balance (minus original down payment) on the sale price and I was done with them, with no repercussions.
Old March 24th, 2022, 01:30 PM

My mother-in-law had a heck of a time getting the actual price out of the salesman - he kept giving her the monthly note, not the overall price.
Old March 24th, 2022, 03:38 PM

Chris and Ken, both right on that. My old man did finance a car and immediately paid it off for that, I forgot, and I had a devil of a time getting a phone price once. I said "price?" and he said "$27 a month." I said, "no, PRICE" and it took a couple tries, I had to get to "TOTAL PRICE" before he got it.
Old March 24th, 2022, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Chris and Ken, both right on that. My old man did finance a car and immediately paid it off for that, I forgot, and I had a devil of a time getting a phone price once. I said "price?" and he said "$27 a month." I said, "no, PRICE" and it took a couple tries, I had to get to "TOTAL PRICE" before he got it.
Unfortunately, in most of my dealings with new or used car salesmen, I felt like I was dealing with a "Snake Oil Salesman"! I've only had one pleasurable experience with a vehicle salesman. It was when I bought my 2016 Indian Chieftain in 2018 from a large dealer 500-miles from St. Louis in Omaha, NE. I found the bike on Cycle Trader, and I was looking to trade in my 2014 Kawasaki Vaquero. I called the Sales Manager, discussed the quality/condition of his Indian, described my bike and sent him high quality photos, and we negotiated a deal over the phone. I rode my bike up there, and his bike was exactly as he depicted/described, and he said mine was the same. Done deal, good feelings all around, wish they could all be like that!
Old March 24th, 2022, 04:57 PM
Running On Empty

The guys (owner & service mgr.) of Omaha Indian are great people. I spent a couple days with them. Had a rear wheel bearing replaced. Nice folks.
Old March 24th, 2022, 05:11 PM

The guys (owner & service mgr.) of Omaha Indian are great people. I spent a couple days with them. Had a rear wheel bearing replaced. Nice folks.
Norm - Place I bought my bike from is called Dillon Brothers Indian Motorcycles. They are part of a mega dealership that has about 5 huge buildings in a several block complex. They sell about every major brand, including Harley's. Despite their distance from me, I told the Sales Manager that treated me so well there, that I would give them the 1st look if I am ever in the market for a new bike, and I meant it.
Old March 24th, 2022, 06:55 PM
Running On Empty

Both bottom corners had fallen apart from years of neglect and no maintenance (Guest Bedroom). So, I removed it from the casement, rebuilt the corners, stripped/finished both sides. I'm stripping the inside of the window casement, hopefully will have all reassembled this Saturday.

Old March 24th, 2022, 07:02 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

I've literally been gone all day, I just got home. Left around 830 this morning and went to pick up my Mom, hit up the Awful house, then went to "her" house to start cleaning and getting ready for the movers. Then we went to get my sister and we had dinner and then went back and moved a couple cars to my house and that was that. My sister is some IT person and had to work remotely from her hotel room, which she will do again tomorrow.

I was in the car business when I was a kid. After school job in high school washing the new cars, and again after high school at a different place. Being up in the showroom and listening to those clowns lie through their teeth about what the car has, what is included in the deal, etc. made my skin crawl. They are all snakes.

Been beautiful all day, if not a bit cooler than earlier in the week. Repeat for tomorrow. I'd hate to end up with a house full of wet furniture.

Wonder how they did at work today. Eh, no I don't. I know the lead isn't going to be there tomorrow. Me either.

Peace

Old March 24th, 2022, 07:05 PM
Running On Empty

Sometimes I just don't feel the need to further evaluate & troubleshoot the exact reason/cause for an issue & instead hedge my bet(s) I'm making the correct decision; and, sometimes it's a simple reason such as I don't have the time to **** around with it all as I have other things going on. But, the driver-side electric window switch works to bring down the right-rear passenger window but won't bring it back up. The right-rear passenger window switch operates up/down flawlessly. I thought for sure it was going to be an arm & a leg for a new switch. Hey, $25 for a new one (aftermarket) supposed to be exact OEM replica. Will be here on Monday. Life is good.

Old March 24th, 2022, 07:14 PM

Norm - The refinished window looks really nice, good luck with the new switch!
Old March 24th, 2022, 07:50 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks. Pretty sure the SW is the issue and it’s a 10’ job.

I like a working clothes dryer, car clock which works & truck windows which work.

Tee-time 8:30am - supposed to stop raining ~8AM. Will be soggy bottoms…
Old March 24th, 2022, 07:59 PM
Running On Empty

Hi Glenn - Thanks. How are things in your area of the world? Still a month away from the beginning of spring?
Old March 25th, 2022, 04:48 AM

--Chris, glad to hear all went good with the wife. I remember the "clear margin" deal when they removed the cancerous tumor off my kidney. The tumor itself was cancer, but as long as the margin was clear- nothing to worry about- well still need to be checked periodically. Hopefully her tests come back good.
--We had to go back to Ann Arbor for follow up on Thursday. All was good. For the next month we will have to go down there on Thursdays for a person to person meet, Also we have to get a blood sample on Mondays locally which will be checked. So, twice a week for a month, then it will tapper down.. Very happy with the way things are going!!
Old March 25th, 2022, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
--Chris, glad to hear all went good with the wife. I remember the "clear margin" deal when they removed the cancerous tumor off my kidney. The tumor itself was cancer, but as long as the margin was clear- nothing to worry about- well still need to be checked periodically. Hopefully her tests come back good.
--We had to go back to Ann Arbor for follow up on Thursday. All was good. For the next month we will have to go down there on Thursdays for a person to person meet, Also we have to get a blood sample on Mondays locally which will be checked. So, twice a week for a month, then it will tapper down.. Very happy with the way things are going!!
Greg - Such good news about your wife too! I'm so happy for you guys that she is doing well! Please keep us in your prayers, we aren't out of the woods yet!
Old March 25th, 2022, 05:55 AM

Headed norte

Norm, I'm beginning to dislike Paige as much as you. Her comment's are nothing hype. Now she's donning a green jacket aux natural. I really don't understand why having big **** makes your opinion soooooooooooooo IMPORTANT

. After all "when you're poking the fire ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ya don't look at the mantle"
Old March 25th, 2022, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Headed norte

After all "when you're poking the fire ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ya don't look at the mantle"
Jim - I agree with your point, but technically, if you're laying on the floor and poking the fire, you could be looking up at the mantle . . . but I'm not going to debate all of the nuances of fire poking here. Safe travels!
Old March 25th, 2022, 06:30 AM
Jeff

In times of low interest rates, paying cash for a major purchase makes no sense. You can make your money work for you and earn better rates of return than the paltry interest you'd pay on that loan.

Now, before anyone counters with, "What returns are you getting on your investments right now???", I'm talking over the 4-7 years of the loan in normal, non-pandemic, non-stupid inflationary times.

Old March 25th, 2022, 06:43 AM

Looking forward to a 60 degree dry weekend. A while back I promised my brother I would fix his monte carlo that someone put a ls/4l60 in. Well, he dropped it off and it was way worse than I thought. Im kinda out of motivation for the 64 right now, so this is a metal break from that.

Everything they could do wrong on this G body they did. Motor mounts welded in. Romex wire nuts, ford truck relays, hood bent over alternator, trans mount had one bolt per side with half the mount floating in space, the factory efi wiring was all taped up into a ball, and still connected to the factory pcm...... just junk etc.
Well I couldn't get the shifter to work after I hooked it up to the new trans... They used a B&M cable, but the factory pin was too large so they welded the smaller pin to the shifter plate. it of course was broken off

Glad everyone seems to be doing well.

Last edited by mattking; March 25th, 2022 at 06:50 AM.
Old March 25th, 2022, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by mattking
Looking forward to a 60 degree dry weekend. A while back I promised my brother I would fix his monte carlo that someone put a ls/4l60 in. Well, he dropped it off and it was way worse than I thought. Im kinda out of motivation for the 64 right now, so this is a metal break from that.

Everything they could do wrong on this G body they did. Motor mounts welded in. Romex wire nuts, ford truck relays, hood bent over alternator, trans mount had one bolt per side with half the mount floating in space, the factory efi wiring was all taped up into a ball, and still connected to the factory pcm...... just junk etc.
Well I couldn't get the shifter to work after I hooked it up to the new trans... They used a B&M cable, but the factory pin was too large so they welded the smaller pin to the shifter plate. it of course was broken off

Glad everyone seems to be doing well.
Matt - You're a good brother, and obviously a much better mechanic than I am to work on that mess in the Monte! Good luck getting her fixed up!
Old March 25th, 2022, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Matt - You're a good brother, and obviously a much better mechanic than I am to work on that mess in the Monte! Good luck getting her fixed up!
Well, I should be better at both.... I purposely put the Monte right in my way in the shop, so it would annoy me enough to get it done. He's got a second project that I'm actually excited to get to.... 83 GMC c-10 Short bed, "sport" 5/7 " drop... we have a low mileage LS1 and t56 for it... it is perfectly brown, and the "sport" graphics are in yellow and orange. (It is understood that "dibbs" is in place for the 83....)
I have to get back on my stuff a while before I will start his truck though...
Old March 25th, 2022, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by mattking
Well, I should be better at both.... I purposely put the Monte right in my way in the shop, so it would annoy me enough to get it done. He's got a second project that I'm actually excited to get to.... 83 GMC c-10 Short bed, "sport" 5/7 " drop... we have a low mileage LS1 and t56 for it... it is perfectly brown, and the "sport" graphics are in yellow and orange. (It is understood that "dibbs" is in place for the 83....)
I have to get back on my stuff a while before I will start his truck though...
Matt - Sounds like "all things cars" is your major hobby, which is a fine one to have, especially if you're retired and have the time. I can do the simple maintenance and simple upgrades to my 4-4-2 and motorcycles, but that's about it. Definitely have to leave motor and tranny rebuilds, and complex electrical stuff to the pro's. Again, good luck with all the projects!
Old March 25th, 2022, 03:04 PM

Old March 25th, 2022, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Oh boy, that sure looks tasty!!!
Old March 25th, 2022, 04:37 PM
Running On Empty

Jim, looks delicious…
Old March 25th, 2022, 04:42 PM

Momma recovering with her babies for support! She is doing well, just lots of rest at this point.
Old March 25th, 2022, 06:22 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

I did better than yesterday. I left the house at 6am and just got back. The movers were there before 8 and it took them about two hours to unload. I tell you I had no idea my Mom had that much crap. The place is about full and it looks like a hoarder's paradise. Eh, it will all get put away and then I can start on some painting. Still no suggestions as to an alternate to black.

Was beautiful today. Gonna be nice tomorrow but windy. My sister made some appointments for my Mom for tomorrow, the cable people and phone, so I'm going to sleep in a little, go to the Awful house, then go over and start putting stuff away that goes in the back yard/crawlspace. Tiger is rather confused as to what is home and what all that stuff is doing in his house.

It was a good two days off work. Got way more done than I normally would have if I took two days off.

Peace

Old March 26th, 2022, 05:17 PM
Always room for one more

And a whole day later, Aloha

Nice day but windy. Got a lot put away at the house, got the cable hooked up, and, surprise of all surprises, Mom got a new phone. She finally retired her flip open phone. She resisted for a long time until the grandkids moved away and she found out she can do video calls and still see them and talk to them.

I was cleaning the bathroom all afternoon and about poisoned myself several times. I was using some foamy bleach spray in the shower and once in a while I'd start coughing and couldn't see straight so I'd have to go out of the room for fresh air. Gotta say the place is sparkling now. I'll clean the other bathroom tomorrow but it will be easy, it hardly ever got used.

Well 3/4 of my weekend is done. It went by quick but an enormous amount happened. My sister leaves around noon tomorrow then it's just my Mom and me and I have to end early to start getting ready for work tomorrow. Oh heck I also have to go grocery shopping. Something will get done.

Peace