The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2021, 11:06 AM
Running On Empty

Headed for Ace & grocery store. While waiting in the Ace checkout line some guy nonchalantly walks into the store passing by the checkout line and says "71 Cutlass...belong to anyone?". I casually say "Yeah, that's mine". He says "I think someone in a black truck may have backed into it". I look at him & ask "Really"? This F'ing douche nozzle says "I was just kidding". I said to him sarcastically "You're really funny." He begins saying "Oh, I'm really sorry, I was just kidding". I stare at him and look him straight in the eye and say again "...you're really funny...have a great F'ing day". He then meanders about sheepishly looking to see if I'm going to shove my fist up his *******. The cashier asks "What did he say?" I tell her "...it's nothing worth mentioning twice."

This is one reason I detest some human beings. I'd rather talk to chimpanzee.
Old September 4th, 2021, 11:14 AM

What a f'n douche bag. Takes all kinds
Old September 4th, 2021, 11:16 AM
Running On Empty

Keith - Did you attend Pardeeville?
Old September 4th, 2021, 11:26 AM

Norm I did not. My older brother is not feeling good and it has been overcast and raining off and on all day so far. Kind of a bummer they have a nice setting for it at the park. Norm good restraint not folding that guy like a lawnchair
Old September 4th, 2021, 12:18 PM

Norm - F'ing unbelievable! Way to keep your cool though, not sure I could have, that was really $hitty!
Old September 4th, 2021, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Headed for Ace & grocery store. While waiting in the Ace checkout line some guy nonchalantly walks into the store passing by the checkout line and says "71 Cutlass...belong to anyone?". I casually say "Yeah, that's mine". He says "I think someone in a black truck may have backed into it". I look at him & ask "Really"? This F'ing douche nozzle says "I was just kidding". I said to him sarcastically "You're really funny." He begins saying "Oh, I'm really sorry, I was just kidding". I stare at him and look him straight in the eye and say again "...you're really funny...have a great F'ing day". He then meanders about sheepishly looking to see if I'm going to shove my fist up his *******. The cashier asks "What did he say?" I tell her "...it's nothing worth mentioning twice."

This is one reason I detest some human beings. I'd rather talk to chimpanzee.
Years ago I got the bumper cover hit on my Tacoma. A guy said, in his white car, that he saw a white truck do it and described it and got real wide eyed when I pulled a pistol case and said I better go chase him and wave him down with this. (Note that I was holding it up, not brandishing or even taking out the pistol). I realized later he was lying, it was his white car that hit it, and he was scared because he just lied to a man with a gun to save his ***.

It's like Al said, you can get more with a kind word and gun than you can with just a kind word. Still have the busted bumper, and even one to replace it, but haven't done it yet. More of the offensive nature of someone damaging another person's stuff and then lying about it. IF you break something, you're careless; if you lie about it, you're a piece of crap.
Old September 4th, 2021, 03:00 PM

Norm, Sorry ya had ta run into one of "Them"

I made a big pot of Ropa Vieja, come on over and I'll serve ya a plate with plantains and black beans and rice

Cuba Si

Old September 4th, 2021, 03:13 PM
Running On Empty

James - OMG. You are quite the cook. The Ropa Vieja looks delicious. Believe me I'd take you up on that offer if closer. Thanks for the offer none-the-less. Now, I'm hungry.
Yeah, I ran into one of "Them".

Speaking of "Them", I recall a thriller movie when I was young (sometime in the late 1950s) which aired in black & white on television - it was called "Them". I'm going to look it up. One of my brother's and me were into these sci-fi scary movies - we loved watching them all - 'Creature From the Black Lagoon', 'It', 'The Thing', 'The Blob', 'Godzilla', etc. Going to look up "Them".
Old September 4th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Running On Empty

Yes, the T.V. movie was called 'THEM!' Released 1954. I found it and recall now it was not all that frightening as compared to others of its era.

THEM!
Old September 4th, 2021, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
There was even a real 426 Hemi, 4-speed Charger R/T, big $$$'s!
That reminded me of one of the weekly Saturday car shows at The Pavilions in Scottsdale. The wife and I were walking through cars and suddenly I told her to stop.

She questioned me as to why, and I replied:

“Look to your left. Now look to your right.
You are standing between two 1966 Hemi Chargers. You rarely ever see one, and much less TWO parked side by side. And you are standing in between them. How many people get to do that?”

She appeared to be completely unimpressed by this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Last edited by Fun71; September 4th, 2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old September 4th, 2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
That reminded me of one of the weekly Saturday car shows at The Pavilions in Scottsdale. The wife and I were walking through cars and suddenly I told her to stop. She questioned me as to why, and I replied “Look to your left. Now look to your right. You are standing between two 1966 Hemi Chargers. You rarely ever see one, and much less TWO parked side by side.”

She appeared to be completely unimpressed by this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Kenneth - Nice story. I incorrectly named the MOPAR with the real 426 Hemi, it was actually a Coronet R/T, and not a Charger. I knew it was a Coronet, and don't even know why I said Charger other than were so many other nice Chargers there. The Coronet was my favorite car there, everything on it looked brand new and it was loaded with documentation.
Old September 4th, 2021, 05:25 PM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
One of my brother's and me were into these sci-fi scary movies -
Oh Jamesbo let me. That would be One of my brothers and I ! Sorry Norm, had to. It was glaring. Says the guy who uses a grocer's apostrophe.

So I went to retrieve the Valiant this afternoon. The trailer I borrowed had a winch on it and the car was loaded in about one minute. Turns out the car was nicer than I thought it would be. I'm pleased. Got it off the trailer, trailer returned, headed home.

My mantra of buy high and sell low has reared its ugly head again. Remember a couple years ago I bought a Corvair convertible that I ended up hating. I was "misled" on what shape it was in and I hated the manual top. My neighbor, who is the same guy who brought his friend over to shop at my place for that Barracuda, kept on my to buy it. I told him I wanted a lot of money for it because I wasn't interested in losing money on it. He kept saying he wanted it. Finally I said, this is what I want for it, how close can you get. Well long story short I sold it to him and took a bath for 3K. My feeling was, I wasn't going to do anything with it, and that would be the most I'd ever get for it, it was pushing it to think it was worth that much. Well, actually it was but not much more. I was getting zero with it sitting. Now, he tells me up front he has bought and sold Corvairs for years and wanted one he could keep. I asked him how he wanted his name to appear on the bill of sale, he said just leave it blank, I'll write it in. Uh huh, that speaks volumes right there. Not going to do that. I can see my open ended title/BoS floating around indefinitely with my name on it. When I go to the tag office on Tuesday they will ask why I want to cancel the registration, and I'm going to watch them type in there, the car was sold.

Kenneth those are great shots. I think it's too bright around here to get pictures like that.

Norm those douche bags are everywhere. Does it belong to anyone? Did it drive there by itself?

Got a couple chores done after I got back, had a bite, cleaned up in the kitchen, now I'm gonna sit in front of the TV and watch a movie. I get to sleep in tomorrow and hit the Awful house with my friends. Can't beat that. Also get to stay up late. Woohoo.

Old September 4th, 2021, 05:31 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Oh Jamesbo let me. That would be One of my brothers and I ! Sorry Norm, had to. It was glaring. Says the guy who uses a grocer's apostrophe.
Right-on...good catch...a Zamboni moment.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; September 4th, 2021 at 05:58 PM. Reason: can't even spell today
Old September 4th, 2021, 06:15 PM

I had to look up the grocer's apostrophe. Yikes.
Old September 5th, 2021, 02:59 AM

"False Fall" has begun, to be soon follower by " 2nd summer"

Or maybe it should be soon to be followed

I had an Ex that would point out misplaced modifiers on bill boards

Thank God and greyhound she's gone

Phuque it ,
Old September 5th, 2021, 05:24 AM
Running On Empty

James - False Fall arrived here yesterday morning - a welcomed relief. Some of the best weather coming up is the next three months. I need to check in on Larry out there in the Atlantic.
Old September 5th, 2021, 07:10 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - What house are you currently residing within? Where did you take the Valiant - new house/property or old house/property? Glad the Valiant turned out nicer than expected.
Old September 5th, 2021, 07:16 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Yay I got to sleep in today. 6:45. Tiger was relentless in trying to get me to get up and get going. One would think he hadn't been to the Awful house in years. And that's exactly what he wanted. So, off we went. I saw lots of guys this morning and had a good chat.

I like hot weather but I'm glad for some cooler weather. I don't like what follows but I'll take it now. Got some more mowing to do and need to move more stuff today.

There's a poster at work with pictures of people's children on it, and the caption says, Who Do You Stay Safe For? Now, being from the midwest, that's a perfectly fine sentence. But grammatically speaking, it's wrong. But if the poster were to say, for whom do you stay safe, it would sound ridiculous. Actually the poster doesn't make any sound, you just read it.

Glenn without looking it up, I think Biedenharn was the largest backer of Huff and Delta. Woolman became the front man because he was very personable. Woolman always ran the place but I don't think he was president until a couple years before he died. I'll have to go reread that part of the book. I have a book that was written about the company for its 50th anniversary. Funny what a different company it was even in 1979 but you can still see things that date back decades in today's company if you look a little.

Tomorrow will be a month that we closed on my new house. I have precious little moved over there and I need to do better. This afternoon I'm going over there to clean a little and start getting things set up. A friend of mine is coming over some time to help me put in a new water heater. And I need to take apart a small room in the basement that the woman used as a yoga room. I won't be doing any yoga.

Okay daylight is burning. Hope everyone has a great day.

Old September 5th, 2021, 07:23 AM
Always room for one more

Norm I took the car to the shop, where it would have gone anyway. I'm still in my old house. I'm a good one to become complacent, and that's not doing me any favors now. It isn't helping that the other guy still has stuff in the yard and I never see him. Last time I talked to him I made mention that I couldn't do anything until the back yard was clear so I could put up a fence for Tiger. And he talks to my neighbor quite a bit, and I said to my neighbor casually, because I know it will get back to him, that I really really wish he'd get moving and finish up. Eh, it will all come together.

The guy has a two hour drive each way between the two houses. If there's a town called Tiger up by Jamesbo's lake, that's where he lives. I know that lake is a couple hours from me so that's quite a drive.

Old September 5th, 2021, 07:56 AM

Mike, When I go to Casa De pot I haveta drive thru Tiger to get to Clayton [ southern route below the lake.] It has exactly one stop sign
Old September 5th, 2021, 08:15 AM
Running On Empty

My closest Home Depot is ~1hr. drive. I wish we had one closer because our Lowe’s store (20 minute drive) sucks large ones.
Old September 5th, 2021, 08:48 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - As a friendly reminder don’t turn the electricity on to your new water heater until the new water heater tank fills with water (assuming you’re installing a tank water heater).
Old September 5th, 2021, 09:00 AM

I had a weird experience at Lowe's yesterday. I took a garage door key in to have their computer key maker reproduce a copy. When the guy stuck the key in to read the old key, it said, " Turn key over" When he turned it over it also said, "Turn key over"

He tried "over ride" and Nada.

So he's says "Sorry can't do it

Mike, Listen to Norm or the heating element will cook and you'll have to buy another one. You don't want as many broken water heaters as you do Valiants
Old September 5th, 2021, 09:03 AM
Always room for one more

Ya that's what Adam said. One stop sign. Blink and you miss the town. I'd love to go up there and see his property. Woods, not a lot of people, I don't know why everyone doesn't do that. Oh and bears.

Old September 5th, 2021, 09:10 AM
Running On Empty

My Ace Hardware store installed a new key machine ~1 month ago. It’s a DIY machine. No assistance required. Insert key, it reads the key, drops in a blank & reproduces your key. Sweet.

No Yoga for Mike.

I love the mountains.
Old September 5th, 2021, 09:29 AM

Mike, Don't tell Norm but there's also a golf course in Tiger [18 holes 6 bucks ] and a drive in Movie. Not relay in Tiger but just outside on the way to Clayton
Old September 5th, 2021, 09:41 AM
Always room for one more

Since I'm still sitting here instead of doing work, it might not surprise you that I found a truck I want to go look at. It's in Charlotte. Norm are you anywhere close to Charlotte? It's a CUCV Blazer and it's cheep. Guy says someone else wants to see it, I said if he passes give me a call. I'm actually not expecting the phone to ring on this one. It's pretty nice. And it's cheep.

Old September 5th, 2021, 09:43 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Don’t tell James, but I can read everything he writes.
Old September 5th, 2021, 09:44 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - I’m 5 hrs from CLT. Sorry buddy.
Old September 5th, 2021, 09:45 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo, your secret is safe with me.

Norm, your secret is safe with me.

Old September 5th, 2021, 09:50 AM

And I'm Sgt. Schultz, I know nothing . . . I see nothing!
Old September 5th, 2021, 10:11 AM
Running On Empty

I rode through Clayton once - I rode the Indian over to Arkansas/Missouri. I ride in the Smoky Mtns. often, and often rode to TN. I generally take 74/64 through the Smoky Mtns. The year I rode to Arkansas I dropped down from 74 to 23, through Clayton, and rode 76 then 72 (I think there was a 115 or 15 also) all the way across Northern GA. Hardly a car on the roads, great roads and great ride.
Old September 5th, 2021, 01:59 PM
Always room for one more

Here is the car I went to get yesterday. The primer on the side is where the guy pulled off shitty stick on side molding. I think he just sprayed over the residual glue. Odd. Anyway, nice little car. The Valiant was considered a compact in its day. These days a car this size is almost a full size. I dare say it's as big as a full size Japanese car. Of course, this was a compact and the full size cars back then were behemoths.

I packed up a lot of stuff in my kitchen today, and talked to my Mom. She had brought some dishes to my house many years ago, and since I doubt she ever gets back here I asked her if she wanted any of them back. She asked what kind they were. Corning and Pyrex, and a couple Anchor Hocking. She about had a fit. She couldn't believe she let them out of her sight to begin with. Whatever.

I'm leaving at O'Dark Thirty tomorrow to see that truck. I gave that trailer back and now he isn't home to go get it again. I'm going to push something off one of my trailers and throw a cover over it. I could use a tow dolly, but I don't really want to disconnect the driveshaft. I'm not a big fan of the tow dolly.

Old September 5th, 2021, 02:19 PM

Mike, are you going to let Dennis Weaver drive the new Valiant?
Old September 5th, 2021, 02:22 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - He's dead.
Old September 5th, 2021, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Mike, are you going to let Dennis Weaver drive the new Valiant?
I remember watching that show as a youngster. It was shortly after Dad brought home the 1970 Supreme and I recall thinking if Weaver had a similar car, he would have left that truck so far behind. Maybe that’s why I have never owned an underpowered econobox. Hmmm.
Old September 5th, 2021, 02:42 PM

Old September 5th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Running On Empty

Doh! OK, I get it now.
Old September 5th, 2021, 03:24 PM

It takes forever to drain a water heater. I did it when I got back home this past winter, left it draining through a hose to the sump pump. I figure that's a five year thing. Hadn't turned on the water pressure yet.

Next AM I opened a cold tap and hot tap on a laundry tub after I had closed the drain valve. So empty the lines were blasting air for a good 20 seconds. You could hear the water coming. Once I had good flow, I shut it down and turned on the heater's power.

Old September 5th, 2021, 03:36 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
It takes forever to drain a water heater.
I've drained mine three times in the past 18 years, and I've replaced the anode each time, as well. The water hardness here is off the scale: >11 (>180mg/L). When I first learned of the water hardness in this area, I installed a decent Culligan water softener when I replaced the old water heater with a new water heater.