The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2021, 09:02 AM

Greg, I plan on going to the fall muscle car show at the Gilmore on the 12th. Thinking about he Musclecar Drags the week after that.

Last edited by 1969w3155; September 3rd, 2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2021, 10:59 AM
Running On Empty

I've asked folks around here for directions and they say turn right while pointing left. North, South, East & West are synonymous with forwards, backwards, up & down. Vertical & horizontal give them a headache.
Old September 3rd, 2021, 11:06 AM

Norm, Sometime people in the country say, "Turn left at the pasture that has the black angus" [ sometimes the famer has moved them]
Old September 3rd, 2021, 11:14 AM
Always room for one more

Pitiful.

Hi everyone.

Just pitiful. It's Friday, and we're walking out the door at 115. The lead says get done and get out. Everyone lollygags around. I thought it was bad enough when everyone took lunch. But one oclock break? It's beautiful out, you'd think at least the people not working tomorrow would want to get a jump on the long weekend. Nope.

I'm going to look at Valiant in a little while. My neighbor has invited himself along. That's okay, he's a good guy, and he offered his trailer. I was going to take the tow dolly, I don't care if the trans gets toasted, it's probably toast already. But his trailer has a winch so that's much better. Also going to pick up a Valiant tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can use the trailer again and cancel the Uhaul.

Like I said it's glorious out. Hope it lasts all weekend. Gonna go get my neighbor in about an hour. Should be a good afternoon for a recovery.

Old September 3rd, 2021, 11:17 AM
Always room for one more

Okay I just posted and then went to correct some spelling, and it got deleted! That may have been operator error. Here's the cliff notes.

Got out of work later than I wanted, because people are slow and don't give a $hit.

Going to see a Valiant this afternoon.

Going to see a Valiant tomorrow.

It's nice out.

See ya.

*Addendum: Now it's back. I'll leave this here. I didn't correct my spelling.

Old September 3rd, 2021, 11:32 AM
Running On Empty

Hey Mike - Are you going to see a Valiant today and a Valiant tomorrow, as well?
Old September 3rd, 2021, 11:40 AM
Running On Empty

What was my golf score last Friday - one week ago today? 39/43
What was my golf score this past Monday? 38/43
What was my golf score this past Wednesday? 39/42
What was my golf score today? 39/42

I feel violated. As though someone has cursed me for playing this game - are they stalking me, I wonder?
Old September 3rd, 2021, 12:33 PM

Well Norm, If ya lower a stroke every week, You'll get where ya wanta be
Old September 3rd, 2021, 02:31 PM

Dan, I don't know if I can get anything together for the 11th (Kazoo nats or Frankenmuth car show). But I think I am going to US 131 Dragway for Part of the Hot Rod drag week on Friday the 17th. Boy things sure are far away since I moved to Harrison!! Have you ever been to the Frankenmuth show? I went maybe 15 years ago and boy was it big, and I've heard it is even bigger now.
Old September 3rd, 2021, 02:36 PM

Chris, I know what you mean about younger people and directions. But if every trip you took you used the GPS you wouldn't know NSE or W either.
Old September 3rd, 2021, 03:00 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, I know what you mean about younger people and directions. But if every trip you took you used the GPS you wouldn't know NSE or W either.
Greg - Basically, what you're stating is (I'll paraphrase): Younger people have no sense of direction.
Old September 3rd, 2021, 03:48 PM
Always room for one more

Well the Valiant was a bust. Broken glass, tons of rust, interior disintegrated The old man wanted 1500 but would come down to 1250. I said thanks for your time and left. On the way home the son called and asked why I didn't make an offer. I said we were going to be too far apart. I would do 500 and I didn't want to **** the guy off. He said no problem, he'd talk to the old man and if he would go 500 he'd call me back. Okay.

The Valiant tomorrow is the one I saw last week. I've already talked to the guy and we've got everything worked out, I'm just going to pick it up tomorrow. I kept my neighbor's trailer so the winch should make things easier. This car today was the same model as the one tomorrow, factory AC and power steering. Man I hate to let that go. No way I'm paying 1250 for a parts car.

Just had a nice big piece of lasagna for my dinner, now I'm gonna hit the sack. Work at 4 tomorrow morning and then hit the road again. I took Tiger last week to see this car, he's going to stay home tomorrow.

Long weekend coming up. I'll still have the chance to go to Awful house a couple times, even though I missed today and I'll miss tomorrow. Eh, it isn't going anywhere.

So Jamesbo what are you going to do about the tractor?

Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old September 3rd, 2021, 03:54 PM

Mike, to paraphrase 'Jaws" I think me might need a bigger hanger
Old September 3rd, 2021, 07:26 PM

Hi guys,
Dodged raindrops to go to that large monthly cruise that usually has +400-cars. Since I have a buddy that is a Mopar nut, and it was a Moparpallooza there tonight, I only took pictures of the nice Mopars, Old's, and one Street Rod that had a gorgeous paint job. There was even a real 426 Hemi, 4-speed Charger R/T, big $$$'s! I have to put the cars in two posts, the Old's, the Hemi Charger, and the Street Rod will be in the 2nd post.

Old September 3rd, 2021, 07:30 PM

Hey guys - Here's the rest

Old September 3rd, 2021, 08:20 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mike, to paraphrase 'Jaws" I think me might need a bigger hanger
I believe a hangar would be more suitable.
Old September 3rd, 2021, 11:29 PM

Greg, haven't been to the Frankenmuth show. I plan to one of these days. I know that it is huge, and runs into the early evening. The Gilmore has a truck show and swap meet 9/10 & 9/11. https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/events/ultimate-truck-show

Last edited by 1969w3155; September 3rd, 2021 at 11:48 PM.
Old September 4th, 2021, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I believe a hangar would be more suitable.
Tanks Norm, I really don't know how I made it around the sun so many times w/o you,

Chris, Cool pics and No I'm not offended by the Battle Flag
Old September 4th, 2021, 02:05 AM

Chris, Cool pics and No I'm not offended by the Battle Flag
James - Thanks. Glad you're not offended by the Battle Flag. The ringtone on my phone is actually the Dukes of Hazzard theme song. Can't go wrong with Waylon singing anything! Always liked the General Lee, but I watched because of Daisy!
Old September 4th, 2021, 03:26 AM

Don't want to offend anyone and spread the virus
Old September 4th, 2021, 04:02 AM

The theme here is making me reminiscent about my Dad, a man who was very proud of his southern roots. Here's some lyrics from one of his very favorite songs:

I can still here the soft southern wind in the live oak trees.
And those Williams boys, well they still mean alot to me, Hank and Tennessee.
I guess we're all gonna be, who we're gonna be.
So whad'ya do, with good ol' boys like me?
Don Williams
Old September 4th, 2021, 04:17 AM

Chris, Where was your dad from?

We have a saying [actually alot of sayings] one of which is :"Delta is ready when you are" [ to leave if you don't like it down here]
Old September 4th, 2021, 04:17 AM

Chris, that lime green Challenger, the 1st one of your pics... Is there some sort of headlight covers, maybe it's just the pic, if real, I've never seen them. As I said earlier you sure have a lot of nice car shows there!
Well we planned to go back along southern RI and Conn. but I'm not sure about flooding there. I could see getting a room would be really hard if locals are in them cuz their place is flooded, etc. You guys know how far north the flooded areas are? I can't seem to find out online.
Old September 4th, 2021, 04:32 AM

Chris, Where was your dad from?

We have a saying [actually alot of sayings] one of which is :"Delta is ready when you are" [ to leave if you don't like it down here]
James - That's a good saying! Dad was born and raised until the age of 12 in Dayton, Tennessee, and my Mom was born in a little town near Knoxville, called Bean Station. Both families moved north to Michigan shortly after WWII to find work in the auto industry. Both my Grand Pa's were machinists, and both had worked at Oak Ridge during the war, but didn't know each other then. When both moved to Battle Creek, MI, my Dad's Dad went to work for Eaton valves, and my Mom's Dad for Federal Mogul bearings.
Old September 4th, 2021, 04:41 AM

Chris, I'm a jack Daniel's Tennessee Squire [ Meaning they gave me ownership of a square foot of land and some other cool stuff] Occasionally I get letters [form JD] asking for permission to coon hint over my square foot
Old September 4th, 2021, 04:46 AM

Chris, that lime green Challenger, the 1st one of your pics... Is there some sort of headlight covers, maybe it's just the pic, if real, I've never seen them. As I said earlier you sure have a lot of nice car shows there!
Well we planned to go back along southern RI and Conn. but I'm not sure about flooding there. I could see getting a room would be really hard if locals are in them cuz their place is flooded, etc. You guys know how far north the flooded areas are? I can't seem to find out online.
Greg - Yes, we're lucky, there are usually at least 3 or 4 nice shows or cruises near me every weekend. I see what you mean about the headlight covers on the Challenger, I didn't notice them when I when the pic. Looks like they may be some type of aftermarket tinted plexiglass cover???

As for a route home, I'm not sure, I've seen and read lots of Pennsylvania is very bad. I would be looking for a route west across New York (also very scenic), and then southwest thru Ohio. Maybe even a stop at Niagara if you haven't been there before.
Old September 4th, 2021, 04:46 AM
Running On Empty

You guys know how far north the flooded areas are? I can't seem to find out online.
Current USGS flooding map. I see only three areas with flooding near flood stage.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/forecasts.php?wfo=bgm
Old September 4th, 2021, 04:49 AM

Chris, I'm a jack Daniel's Tennessee Squire [ Meaning they gave me ownership of a square foot of land and some other cool stuff] Occasionally I get letters [form JD] asking for permission to coon hint over my square foot
That's some funny stuff, a JD Squirer, and asking permission to coon hunt!
Old September 4th, 2021, 04:53 AM

Current USGS flooding map. I see only three areas with flooding near flood stage.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/forecasts.php?wfo=bgm
Norm - I agree with your provided info, but Greg's point about availability of hotels (sounds like they may not have reservations), along a southerly route might prove troublesome.
Old September 4th, 2021, 05:05 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - I made the suggestion on which way for Greg to travel in my post above >>> #36870

Chris - I suspect Greg has been keeping a watchful eye on Ida flooding. The Northern edge of that system is moving Eastward into the Atlantic right between Portland & Bangor. I'm curious (as well) if they're hunkered-in or have already departed. Hopefully worse case scenario is they had to shoot straight West out of Maine to return to MI - should be dry conditions in that regard.
I'd still choose that direction.
Old September 4th, 2021, 05:13 AM

Chris - I made the suggestion on which way for Greg to travel in my post above >>> #36870

I'd still choose that direction.
Yep, you sure did, I had forgot you had said that. I would certainly go that way too!
Old September 4th, 2021, 06:39 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Good morning at work. We returned 75 wheels and departed. There were supposed to be three mechanics signing wheels and one guy didn't show up. The people actually doing work really kicked some *** and we were out by 9. I just missed my friends at the Awful house. But it was still a good time there, too.

Greg safe trip however you go. If you had an Amphicar the flooding would be a non-issue.

Jamesbo do you think that's what the marketing people had in mind when they wrote that commercial? BTW, our founder is from Indiana and Illinois.

Gonna do a few little things around here today, then this afternoon go fetch that other Valiant. I can't believe how beautiful it is today. Cooler outside than it is in the house. That won't last.

Have a great day everyone.

Old September 4th, 2021, 06:41 AM

Mike,

We cracker just borrowed it

I thought he was from Monroe, Louisiana
Old September 4th, 2021, 07:15 AM
Always room for one more

C. E. Woolman was born in Bloomington, Indiana and grew up in Urbana, Illinois. He was an extension agent at Louisiana State University. He moved to Monroe after buying into Huff-Daland Aero Corp. from Macon, after that the company moved to Monroe. Then came Delta. Then came Atlanta. And the rest, as they say, is history.

After moving to Atlanta in 1997, once in a while I'd run across an old-timer who had known or had met Mr. Woolman, they all said he was a wonderful man. For years he knew every employee, and when he met someone he didn't know, he'd ask, how long have I worked for you? He died during surgery for an aneurism. He'd turn over in his grave if he knew how things were run these days.
Old September 4th, 2021, 07:30 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Mike I grew up in Monroe. I remember when Delta still had crop dusters in Monroe which they operated for many years. The Biedenharn family were very prominent and were original shareholders of Delta. Joseph Biedenharn was the first person to ever bottle Coca Cola in Vicksburg, Mississippi. They owned the local bottling company and in the 70's they had a bumper sticker on the back of all their trucks that said "Fly Delta's Big Jets". My wife had an uncle that actually worked for Delta when they were in Monroe and transferred to Atlanta. He didn't like Atlanta and moved back to Monroe.
Old September 4th, 2021, 08:47 AM

Mike, But, but but, Didn't all those big shareholders loose everything when the big D went Tango Uniform a while back
Old September 4th, 2021, 09:13 AM

Clear skies last night and very dry upper atmosphere made for exceptional viewing of Saturn and Jupiter. After a while, one of Jupiter’s moons made an appearance.

Old September 4th, 2021, 09:19 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Clear skies last night and very dry upper atmosphere made for exceptional viewing of Saturn and Jupiter. After a while, one of Jupiter’s moons made an appearance
Fantastic images.
Old September 4th, 2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Clear skies last night and very dry upper atmosphere made for exceptional viewing of Saturn and Jupiter. After a while, one of Jupiter’s moons made an appearance.
Spectacular pics Kenneth! Really cool you were able to recognize and capture the pics with one of the moons.
Old September 4th, 2021, 09:42 AM

Those images and thinking of government satellites make me think to consider, the next time I engage in the horizontal mamba in the great outdoors, to make sure she is on top. In the interests of decency, of course.