The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2021, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
Chris that's too bad about your friend. If you had a Harley you could get across the river Evel Knievel style.
Mike - Thanks for your condolence. Guess I'll just have to keep going the long route across the bridge, I'm not a big Harley fan. When I was in the market for the last bike I bought, I went to multiple Harley dealers in the St. Louis area and test drove all 3 of their largest touring and bagger bikes. First, all 3 dealers were full of themselves, and acted like they were doing me a big favor by even letting me test drive their bikes. Second, they were not willing to come down a penny from the MSRP on the one bike I might have considered. Finally, none of their bikes were nearly as comfortable or powerful as the Indian I ended up buying. The Indian dealer I bought my bike from in Omaha bent over backwards to make sure I was happy with the deal. The whole experience of considering buying a Harley probably soured me on the brand forever.
Old September 8th, 2021, 09:23 PM

Chris and Mike, not for me, the gift is for a friends daughter and future son in law's wedding in early October.
Old September 8th, 2021, 11:10 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Glen - Sorry to hear about your Subaru. I owned an AWD Subaru Loyale 4-door sedan about 20-years ago. It was a good car and incredible in the snow until I let my teenage daughter drive it. While she was driving, the nut that held the electric fan blade on came loose and the fan quit turning, and of course it started to overheat and the check engine light came on, but she just kept driving it until the motor got so hot it seized up. It was basically worth scrap at that point because it already had about 200K-miles on it when she destroyed it. I'm guessing 20-years ago Subaru was probably making them better than they are now.

Glad you were able to get out for a nice cruise in the 98 while the weather is still nice!
Wow sorry about that engine Chris , this is a 2006 Forester , awesome car in snow and have several
benefits but it have been so much trouble and spent money. Yes it have been almost summer temp here now
for some days so it was very nice Sorry to read about the loss of your friend Chris , 61 is way to young to
pass.

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Glenn - Subaru. You barely get the opportunity to close your wallet and it's time to open it up again.
+1 Norm , and the wallet need to be large

Last edited by GCH; September 8th, 2021 at 11:22 PM.
Old September 9th, 2021, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Sorry to read about the loss of your friend Chris , 61 is way to young to
pass.
Glenn - Thanks for your condolence, it is sincerely appreciated.
Old September 9th, 2021, 10:25 AM

Got my replacement glass installed [took less time than filing the claim]

Only problem is it makes my old glass look horrible, Maybe a truck wash is in my future
Old September 9th, 2021, 10:41 AM
Jeff

Well, this year has certainly been shittier than last year. Been away from posting while dealing with health issues of my parents, what a mess. Long story short, my Dad passed away 3 weeks ago after a very brief and fast decline caused by mesothelioma. Gentlemen, remember to take your health seriously. Not that it would've changed anything had my Dad been able to see a pulmonologist sooner, but shortness of breath, back pain, and a decreasing appetite are all things that, in hindsight, together should have been huge red flags. Don't settle for your doc prescribing steroids.

Since bad stuff always seems to come in triplicate, the '08 Equinox I just bought for my oldest son less than 2 weeks ago needs a transmission rebuild. I'm now waiting to see what #3 disaster is going to be.

On the plus side, I sold my pontoon on Monday, and I have someone seriously interested in the '64.
Old September 9th, 2021, 11:39 AM

Jeff, So sorry for your loss
Old September 9th, 2021, 11:58 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Jeff so sorry about your Dad. Was this something he picked up at work? Don't look for number 3, you might find it.

Beautiful out and not hot. Gonna run a couple errands this afternoon. Wish I had a convertible(that I could drive).

So last night I'm sitting at the computer and also talking on the phone, this is about 730, and the power goes out. No storms, just goes out. The hard wired smoke detector starts chirping and Tiger goes bananas. Power was out for two hours. I had already gone to bed, and when it came back on all the lights were on, and the smoke detector started chirping again. That was it for Tiger, he was crazy for the duration. Didn't make overtime this morning.

When I bought my Harley years ago I ran into the same thing, dealerships full of themselves, and at that time, late 98, places had waiting lists to get on waiting lists. The big place by me you had to pay to get on the waiting list. So needless to say if you could get a bike at the sticker price, you were doing okay. I happened to be in California visiting a friend and went by the Harley place to get a Tshirt. They had Fatboys on the floor. Salesperson says these are all sold, but we have two coming in not spoken for. I said I'll take the black one. Six or 8 weeks later it arrived and I went back to California and brought it home. No, in a trailer. Bike is long gone but I still have my helmet.

Norm how was the malted? You got a recipe you follow for that or just throw stuff together and throw it in the blender?

Jamesbo paint some gold stripes on your truck so it matches the medallion you have on the back.

Okay gonna run my errands. Hope everyone is having a good afternoon.

Old September 9th, 2021, 12:51 PM
Running On Empty

Jeff - My condolences to you on the death of your Dad. I hope you have many fond memories of your moments together.

Mike - I basically toss it together in a blender and hit the buttons: vanilla ice cream, milk or 1/2 & 1/2 & Ovaltine Chocolate Malt mix. Push the magic buttons & take me back to another place in time.
Old September 9th, 2021, 01:07 PM

Mike Has the memory of an elephant.

What he's talking about is My dealer sticker fell off the tail gate of my truck and left a bad spot on the paint [15 years ago\. So I had one of those "Hurst Equipped" stick on things that I cover where the dealer tag was. My truck has nothing :Hurst Equipped in it or on it

I don't think anybody named George has ever even ridden in it

BUT next time [ since I've done it more than once. ] I hit a bollard at the drive in bank, I'm gonna repair it with one of these

Old September 9th, 2021, 01:23 PM
Running On Empty

James - What's the deal - drive-in banking is like bumper cars for you?
Old September 9th, 2021, 01:38 PM

James - What's the deal - drive-in banking is like bumper cars for you?
No the stupid city I live in HATES drive in anything and makes the bank build tiny drive in, I have to pull forward [surrounded by bollards ] and back up to reach the shoot

Banks are the only drive in anything near me. No mickey D not burger king no nada
Old September 9th, 2021, 01:46 PM
Running On Empty

James - Come to think of it, bank drive-through lanes are pretty narrow in general, I guess. I spend a fair amount of time negotiating parking lots with the pull forward, backup maneuver. I generally park away from everyone to begin. This F250 is a pig - the turning radius is ~30'.
Old September 9th, 2021, 01:52 PM

Norm, Glad I'm not alone. Also, In my old age my depth perception has gotten really bad

Like I'm looking for my ball at 225 and it's at 190 [usually where the mowers don't go] or haven't been in a while [ aux natural areas]
Old September 9th, 2021, 03:52 PM

Jeff, my sympathy to you and your family.
Old September 9th, 2021, 04:37 PM

Jeff - So sorry about the loss of your Dad, our prayers are with you during this difficult time.
Old September 9th, 2021, 05:01 PM

Good evening guys,

Another beautiful 80'ish sunny day, getting down into the mid-50's again tonight. Spent the whole afternoon with my buddy over in Illinois shooting the $hit. Great catching up with him. He's been restoring a 1977 Dodge Crew Cab Dually and he's getting close to being done with it. He's done it all by himself, mechanical, electrical, body work, and paint. The boy's got a serious skill set when it comes to automotive work!

Hope everyone has as a great evening!

Old September 9th, 2021, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442

Another beautiful 80'ish sunny day, getting down into the mid-50's tonight.
This is from today’s news:

A 30-year-old daily heat record was broken at about 3:30 p.m. on Thursday when the mercury reached 111 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.

Old September 9th, 2021, 10:38 PM

Jeff, my condolences. Mike, the local Harley dealer here will not take cash and really tries to keep it customers from using financing from banks or credit unions. they want you to finance through Harley credit. a lot of people from around here head up to Fremont, Mi. about 30 miles away, to the dealer there, who has a very good reputation for customer service, and treating their customers good from the get go.
Old September 9th, 2021, 10:42 PM
GCH

Sorry for your loss of your dad Jeff.

111 F = almost 44 C we think itīs a pain when itīs 85 F

1969w3155 , sounds crazy that your local Harley dealer done that , before HD company
stopped their dealers in US to ship overseas we purchased many parts from dealers in
US. The european HD raised the pricing high and a remember buying saddlebags to my
FXDF from US and they whas 10.000kr SEK cheaper than buying here (with all cost included)

Last edited by GCH; September 9th, 2021 at 11:10 PM.
Old September 10th, 2021, 01:56 AM

Putting my old body in my old truck [with new glass and new training ski] and headed Norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old September 10th, 2021, 02:42 AM
Running On Empty

James - Have a pleasant weekend up North.
Old September 10th, 2021, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
alot of people from around here head up to Fremont, Mi. about 30 miles away, to the dealer there, who has a very good reputation for customer service, and treating their customers good from the get go.
Dan - I couldn't remember for sure, so I checked, I have 6 Harley dealerships within a 60-mile radius from me. I don't think I've ever heard anyone, including diehard Harley guys, describe any of them as having "a very good reputation for customer service and treating their customers good". My experience was the same at 3 separate HD dealerships and was the triple whammy: poor customer service; subpar product; and exorbitant pricing for what you were getting. Despite originally thinking I wanted a HD, I came out of the buying experience despising them.
Old September 10th, 2021, 04:20 AM

James - Have a pleasant weekend up North.
^^^ x2
Old September 10th, 2021, 11:17 AM

Condolences on your Dad.
Old September 10th, 2021, 11:55 AM
Jeff

Thanks, guys. First time losing someone so close, so I guess now instead of having him to ask all my mechanical questions to, I'll probably be coming here with those more often.

Mike, to answer your question: he was a journeyman pipefitter at GM, so I'm certain the mesothelioma (asbestos-caused cancer) was from the job.
Old September 10th, 2021, 12:08 PM
Running On Empty

I lost a cousin at a very young age who worked at the Chrysler/Plymouth plant Belvidere, IL on brakes in the late 1960s due to Mesothelioma.
Old September 10th, 2021, 12:09 PM
Running On Empty

40/40 If nothing else I am certainly consistent.
Old September 10th, 2021, 12:41 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss Jeff. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family

Keith
Old September 10th, 2021, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by GCH
111 F = almost 44 C we think itīs a pain when itīs 85 F
Eh, it's been hotter than that many, many times over the summer.

Old September 10th, 2021, 02:37 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I paid my electric bill today and it seemed like it's been going up consistently over the summer. Then I realized the AC was set on 75 when it's usually set on 80. No wonder it's so comfortable in here. After viewing your temperatures Kenneth, I think I will leave it.

Beautiful day here. Tiger and I just got back from mailing some letters. Supposed to get a little chilly tonight, which is great because we are leaving out rather early tomorrow morning without AC in the car and it will be nice and cool for Tiger.

My JD riding mower is almost 20 years old, I bought it new at Home Depot. I don't recall it saying on it where it was built, just the sticker that says John Deere Corporation, Moline IL. I've been to the headquarters and gone through their museum. Very nice. Also been to the John Deere Commons by the river. Also nice, but it's more of a touristy place. Moline isn't exactly a vacation destination, so I guess they are thinking the locals will buy all the JD stuff they are peddling, because, you know, they don't see that name all the time...

The local Harley dealer won't take cash. What the hell is wrong with people? Cash talks and bullshit walks. But I'm betting a lot of cash walks because of the Harley dealer's bullshit. I don't know what we do for snacks these days, but before when you wanted to buy a sandwich or whatever on the airplane you couldn't use cash, you had to use a card. You can't go to the ticket counter and pay for a ticket with cash. Whoever heard of such a thing?

Norm, why do they call it Ovaltine? The jar is round, the mug is round, they should call it Roundtine.

Jamesbo do you fix the truck every time you go to the bank drive thru, or is your truck full of yellow dents. You might not need those stripes after all.

Okay! Gonna do a few little things and hit the sack. It will be like going to work, only I'll be going the opposite direction. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old September 10th, 2021, 02:48 PM

North Texas checking in.

And, no, it really wasn't 123F outside. It was probably 109-110F, but the car thinks it is hotter when sitting and displays the proper temperature once you get moving.

Last edited by NTXOlds; September 10th, 2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old September 10th, 2021, 03:51 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, why do they call it Ovaltine?
Mike - Because of a misspelling of the original name (Ovomaltine) on the trademark registration application which led to the name being shortened to Ovaltine. It was originally developed in Bern, Switzerland.

Sit back for another (similar) story. I met Jimmy Driftwood (Battle Of New Orleans) on several occasions while working for the NPS on the Buffalo National River in Arkansas under a grant I was awarded (1981-1983). Jimmy was quite a stitch. The several times I met him, there were only about 20 or 30 of us sitting about a campfire. One evening he told a story of how Snow Hill, AR got its name. The application for a United States Post Office was sent to the United States Post Office. The location and name of the Post Office (unincorporated) was Snow Hall, Arkansas. The hall was built/owned by a Mr. Snow - who was more or less, a self-appointed governing gentleman for the town (unincorporated). When they (Mr. Snow) received approval for the application of a Post Office, it was titled "Snow Hill" Arkansas.

Old September 10th, 2021, 04:06 PM

I'm only gonna tell ya one time, give me back my f'ing toy or I'm gonna whoop your ****!
Old September 11th, 2021, 12:54 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Fun71
Eh, it's been hotter than that many, many times over the summer.

Wow , we are not used with such heat here

The local Harley dealer won't take cash. What the hell is wrong with people? Cash talks and bullshit walks. But I'm betting a lot of cash walks because of the Harley dealer's bullshit. I don't know what we do for snacks these days, but before when you wanted to buy a sandwich or whatever on the airplane you couldn't use cash, you had to use a card. You can't go to the ticket counter and pay for a ticket with cash. Whoever heard of such a thing?
It,s the same here Mike , almost impossible to buy a car with cash for example , if you come to the bank with cash
you must answer questions where you got the money ( if itīs much ). But itīs easy to transfer money using your cell
phone this days and also to register a new owner of a vehicle.

Have a good weekend all.
Old September 11th, 2021, 05:14 AM

I always heard that a business was obligated by law to accept US Currency, though that may not be correct anymore. I know that most small retail businesses (especially bars) biggest loss is employee theft. You go in and buy a draft beer or mixed drink and lay a 5 on the bar, then you leave it all for the drink and a tip. Very easy for bartender just to put whole amount in their tip jar. If everything were on a card that couldn't happen. I'll bet we see at cashless society soon. How long you think it will be before the implanted chip in your head allows you to purchase something by just thinking about it?
Went to the Street Rod nationals in Kalamazoo yesterday, bought some odds and ends for the truck- had a great time, EXCEPT, the ride there and back, we went in a 19 Colorado ext cab. I am 6'3" and rode in the front passenger with seat up as far as I could, (knees in dash), and shorter buddy rode in back, Owner drove, owner was OK but me and other friend were like sardines. I didn't bitch about it cuz it was a free ride. See yas...
Old September 11th, 2021, 06:38 AM

9/11/2001 - A solemn prayer for any of you guys who may have lost a friend or loved one on that horrible day, or know someone who did. That day radically changed the intensity, focus, and nature of my work for the next 17-years that I continued to work in the intel community after that day.
Old September 11th, 2021, 06:42 AM
GCH

Well i think everybody here need to think the "cash free" society over again ,
hundreds of food stores was closed down due too a cyber attack against a the
software company Kaseya in july. So it became clear that cash is needed to get
food.

+1 on that Chris.

Last edited by GCH; September 11th, 2021 at 06:47 AM.
Old September 11th, 2021, 10:29 AM

I experienced similar issues during power outages. No cash, no sales.
Old September 11th, 2021, 11:12 AM
Running On Empty

I believe we should never stop printing money. When the power goes out, and I’m not simply referring to electricity, but all types of “power outages” (which includes cyber attacks which negate the use of any software-enabling transactions), the only monetary exchange is cash.