The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2021, 02:56 PM

Beautiful work Norm

Is that Bermuda grass?
Old August 22nd, 2021, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Is that Bermuda grass?
That’s what we have here in Phoenix. It’s about the only thing that can survive the summer temps - other than the native weeds, that is.

I feel so guilty soaking indigenous plant life with RoundUp just because it doesn’t know where it’s supposed to grow.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 03:00 PM
Running On Empty

Thanks James. Centipede. Two issues with centipede: (1) Very shade intolerant - won't grow at all, needs full sunlight; and, (2) Very intolerant of heavy traffic. On the plus side: (1) Super easy to care for - doesn't require fertilizer applications (maybe some lime every several years); (2) Can be mowed very, very low to soil - I mow mine at 1.75" - which makes it great to walk on, feels more like a carpet.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 03:05 PM
Running On Empty

I thought about Bermuda, in some respects I wish I had gone w/ Bermuda. If I really wanted to start all over again, I'd go with Zenith® Zoysia Grass this newer strain is just amazing.

Canned OTS pictures.

Old August 22nd, 2021, 03:08 PM

Norm, Very nice. Here Bermuda grows where ya don't want it and won't grow where ya do

Most of mine is fescue I do have one good stand of Bermuda in the horse paddock

If Mike wants a taller lawn, I think fescue should work for him

My garden is full of Bermuda grass [and (^_*(_*)(*_)&(^(&%&(* nut grass]

I've been fighting [with limited success] Johnson grass in one area of the pasture

When I raised cows, I wanted alot of clover int he fescue pastures

My vet [who was smarter than me] said put the clover seeds [they look like gold dust] in the cow feed. They will exit in a nice warm pile of manure and grow like crazy
Old August 22nd, 2021, 03:34 PM
Always room for one more

No horse and no mule. Although I was named after a horse. The whole horse, not just part of it. The front yard has zero shade. I will take these names associated with the pretty pictures and read the grass bags and see which one will work best. Thanks for the advice you guys. One time at a lake meeting we were talking about grass and this broad comes up with the name (no way could I spell this correctly) Lespiziza. I thought she made it up.

Norm I know why you're building this fence to withstand a war. You think some customers from the auto shop across the way are going to back into it.

Sun is out, but most of the afternoon it was cloudy and spit rain off and on. I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow, my house guy is supposed to come with a trailer and really get a good chunk of things loaded up that are lingering around the place. I'm not trying to rush him, but I'm subtly trying to rush him. I know it's a pain driving 2 hours each way now, and then having to find a place for the stuff once he gets it back up to his place.

Got Stanley Steemers all set to come out tomorrow to clean the carpet. Maybe that will get some of the "pet" smell out of there. Before Walmart I went over and washed the floor in the room off the kitchen. They had an old Yorkie dog that most times went on potty pads in that room. It was easy to see in the sunlight where someone just wiped up what soaked through the pads. Yuck. So now at least it's clean. Anyway after work tomorrow I need to disassemble a big bed and run the vacuum cleaner before the carpet people get there.

Old August 22nd, 2021, 03:38 PM
Running On Empty

Nut sedge - I get it around the drainage ditch in the back of my property where it stays wet most of the time. It doesn't do well in full sunlight in dry (not wet) soil. I heard Johnson grass is literally impossible to get rid of. Birds are fabulous at dispersing seeds - I like your vet's idea of dusting the cow feed w/ clover seeds.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 03:47 PM
Running On Empty

I think I'm going to buy a new bed mattress. I bought this (expensive) mattress years ago - but I believe I made a mistake. The mattress is solid and built extremely well; but, I think it is far too firm for me. If memory serves me correct, I think I bought an Extra Firm mattress. Believe me when I say it's very firm. So, several times in the past several weeks I ran a test. I slept on my davenport - which is solid leather, 6' in length and very wide. One of those top-of-the-line hand-made leather sofas made in Hickory, NC - it's awesome. I awoke each day with hardly any shoulder pains/aches, etc. I sleep on my mattress and I feel like a phuquing Mack truck ran over me. Maybe I should sleep on the bed in a guest room and see how that works, as well. I don't know, do you any of you guys have any comments on mattress firmness and body aches. Maybe it's the aging process which is taking its toll on me? I don't know.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 03:54 PM

Nut Sedge and Crabgrass are my two toughest weeds to keep under control. Multiple companies make herbicides now that will kill off the Nut Sedge and not kill the grass, but it may take 3 or 4 applications over a course of weeks to get rid of all of it. Crabgrass is still a mystery to me. I can put down a quality pre-emergent during the early Spring and there will be absolutely no evidence of Crabgrass for 2/3 of the summer and then wham, Crabgrass starts popping out in several areas. I don't know of any herbicide that will then knock it out without killing the grass too???
Old August 22nd, 2021, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Maybe I should sleep on the bed in a guest room and see how that works, as well. I don't know, do you any of you guys have any comments on mattress firmness and body aches. Maybe it's the aging process which is taking its toll on me? I don't know.
Norm - Were you noticing the acheness when waking up from your bed before you started your big fence project? Seems like you've been pushing yourself pretty hard with this project and not giving your body much recovery time. When you get to be our age sometimes just one off day is not enough. I've mentioned before I work out alot, heavy lifting 3-days a week and heavy cardio 3-days a week. After 3 or 4 weeks of working out 6-days a week, I'll start to feeling weaker, tired, and more achy than normal, and realize my body needs a 2-day complete break. It's very possible you're just over doing. We may think we still are, but we ain't 20 anymore!
Old August 22nd, 2021, 04:41 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Actually, all these aches and pains have begun since I began the fence project. Maybe I'll see how it plays out after the fence is done. I'll have to say my body has made some changes in the past 5-6 years (between 64 y.o. to 69 y.o. [next month]). I've witnessed more atrophy of muscle mass than at any other time of my life. It used to be the case (with me) the more I'd perform a particular function, the more muscle mass and more tone I'd gain. It seems like that trend is now reversing - I don't build any more muscle mass and/or tone and instead remain what I'd consider to be "the same" day in and day out regardless of how active I am. Aging isn't for the weak at heart I guess. Maybe I'd better fess up to this aging thing.

When I have issues with either crab grass or nut sedge (sedge weed), this is the product I use. It kills both dead as both a pre-emergent and post-emergent. It is absolutely essential you follow the directions verbatim as written. Stuff is not inexpensive, but works 100% on killing them both. Be patient if you try it. I spot spray for both nut sedge and crab grass. One 8 ounce bottle is ~$65.00. But, you mix 1 ounce/per 2 gallons water. I also mix a blue dye in my spot sprayer so I know where I've sprayed. Believe me, this stuff works great; but, as I said - follow the directions and be patient - it takes about 5 - 7 days to begin to see the plants die. The nut sedge will die before the crab grass - but they'll both die.

BTW, when applying most herbicides it's best to mix in a surfactant. The surfactant acts as to increase surface tension of the mixture onto the leaves of plants - allowing the herbicide mixture to more effectively adhere to the plant leaves and therefore enter the plant cells more expeditiously. You could spend $$ on researching & buying fancy surfactants but the least expensive surfactant is Dawn dish soap. I add about 1/2 cup of Dawn dish soap to a two gallon spot sprayer.

Liquid Harvest Lazer Blue Liquid Harvest Lazer Blue
Tenacity Tenacity
Old August 22nd, 2021, 05:22 PM

Norm, I think Max FICO is 850. You shittin' a *******?
Old August 22nd, 2021, 05:28 PM
Running On Empty

John - Correct, max FICO = 850. My FICO = 833.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 06:04 PM

That sounds outstanding to me, Norm.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 06:27 PM

Norm - Thanks for the tip on the herbicide. Does the grass actually remain OK, or do you just have to be extremely careful spot spraying? Doesn't really matter, gotta get the crabgrass out somehow, just curious.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 06:37 PM

Norm,
regarding bedding firmness and body aches, I have found that the softer mattress in bedroom 3 makes me ache more than the firmer mattress in bedrooms 1 and 2. I recently discovered this when the wife started her new job and is getting up at 4 am, so I transfer to another bedroom to continue my beauty sleep for another couple hours.

I suppose there’s a wide range of variation of firm and soft between mattress manufacturers so comparing one to the other is not straightforward.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 06:54 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Thanks for that. I get perplexed trying to understand what’s best for a good night’s sleep - firm or soft? I e never had issues with firm - I’ve been a camper outdoors person all my life. Firm ground never bothered me until more recently. Sure there the occasional it felt like I had slept on a rock mornings you wake up with a kink in your neck or back, but for the most part sleeping on the ground was never a issue for me. I always thought a soft bed was bad for you, but maybe that changes as we age? Not sure.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 06:57 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Thanks for the tip on the herbicide. Does the grass actually remain OK, or do you just have to be extremely careful spot spraying? Doesn't really matter, gotta get the crabgrass out somehow, just curious.
The lawn grass remains perfect - absolutely no harm whatsoever.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 07:04 PM

Good evening guys,
My grandson's 3rd b-day party today was great and he had a wonderful time. I plan to post a few pics after I get some better shots from my better half. Probably tomorrow.

Our favorite neighbors, Mike and Becky who are in their mid-70's, are the folks my wife cleans house for once a week because Becky has a bad shoulder disability. They have a Boston Terrier, Max, who is 13-years old and was with them when they moved in in 2008 shortly after I did. This was before I even met my wife or had pets. Max and I bonded that first year when I was single, and lonely, and I would go down and walk him and play with him, he was still just a pup then. My wife later bonded with him too and we always take him treats when we go down to visit or see his owner Mike walking him. I am deeply saddened to say my buddy Max is going to have to be put to sleep tomorrow. I won't go into the gory symptoms, but the vet is pretty sure he has stomach or colon cancer, has stopped eating, and you can tell he is in pain, and at 13, it's time. I will surely miss my buddy Max, what a wonderful pup he's been since the 1st day we met. Today was tough saying our goodbyes, tomorrow will be even tougher.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 22nd, 2021 at 07:07 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 07:19 PM
Running On Empty

Mesotrione (Tenacity) is not a broad spectrum herbicide, it is a selective herbicide. As such, it’s formulation concentrate is selective and specific to specific species of plants. It actually down regulates (via an enzyme in the pyruvic acid cycle) L-Tyrosine, a required amino acid in the pyruvic acid cycle required to sustain photosynthesis. In its formulated concentration and application it is therefore a selective herbicide known for arresting the pyruvic acid cycle of select plant species.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 07:21 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Sorry to hear the news about Max. Sad day, indeed.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 07:22 PM

The lawn grass remains perfect - absolutely no harm whatsoever.
Norm - Great to know! The product I've been using to kill out the Yellow Nut Sedge is selective too and doesn't hurt the grass, but does absolutely nothing to crabgrass.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 07:25 PM
Running On Empty

John - I haven’t required a loan for anything in many years. I figured I was as normal as the next person paying my previous loans and payments on time every time. I did just look up the average FICO scores. I’m in the top 20% which isn’t Earth shattering, but respectable.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 07:26 PM

Chris - Sorry to hear the news about Max. Sad day, indeed.
Thanks Norm, I appreciate your condolences!
Old August 22nd, 2021, 07:40 PM

Good dogs are to be valued. Hopefully Max is off to doggy heaven.

As for mattresses, my personal thought is that it can be too soft. Firmer is better for sleep as you spread out on it, not sink into it, especially if you are fat. However, you can't sleep on a rock. So, as firm as still is comfortable is my rule.

I have slept on Japanese western style beds. Those are rocks, and they are the western style. The true Japanese bed is really hard.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 07:46 PM
Running On Empty

Like sleeping on a futon without the futon?
Nothing but hard boards of wood slats I suspect.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 07:50 PM

Chris our fur friends depend on us to be the caregiver and provider. Our job is to do everything we can to provide the best care and life they deserve in my opinion. As an owner the hardest thing we do unselfishly is make sure they do not suffer at the end of life. Not easy and the toughest responsibility we have, and one we must be proud to have had the honor of. As a good humane animal owner, my condolences for all, it is indeed the saddest day and most difficult decision we have.

Keith
Old August 22nd, 2021, 11:48 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Were you noticing the acheness when waking up from your bed before you started your big fence project? Seems like you've been pushing yourself pretty hard with this project and not giving your body much recovery time. When you get to be our age sometimes just one off day is not enough. I've mentioned before I work out alot, heavy lifting 3-days a week and heavy cardio 3-days a week. After 3 or 4 weeks of working out 6-days a week, I'll start to feeling weaker, tired, and more achy than normal, and realize my body needs a 2-day complete break. It's very possible you're just over doing. We may think we still are, but we ain't 20 anymore!
Don´t know the age you guys but i,m 62+ and have realized that i,m not 20 anymore. I got massage once a month
and this is a good thing for my body. Have done so for the last 30 years. My knees and feet are more achy this days
and needs more breaks. But that´s ok could be worse things going on. But could recommend to try massage
Old August 23rd, 2021, 02:52 AM

I heard Johnson grass is literally impossible to get rid of. Birds are fabulous at dispersing seeds - I
True dat. A few years ago, I hired a guy that had a 4 wheeler with a long piece of PVC attached to the front. He filled it with some kind of poison and had wicks hanging down and drove thru the Johnson grass with the wicks hitting the tops Worked a little but not great But if you don't do anything pretty soon it will take over completely

Norm Being and Ole Phart, I can personally assure you recovery time increases with age. As far as mattresses, I vote for a fat girl to keep you warm in the winter
Old August 23rd, 2021, 03:01 AM

I finished all the 1/2 lap joint vertical boards and assembled the 1/2 lap joint horizontal cross-members into the 1/2 lap jointed vertical boards. I have two of the three 6" x 6" x 8' posts cut out - one more to go before I can cut & set form to set them in concrete. These are full cut-outs - not 1/2 cuts since they will hold more weight in the middle of the fence framing. The bottom of each will reside about 8" - 10" below ground with each concrete pad ~4" - 6" above ground grade. One entire rebar bracket with protruding brass screws is fastened to the bottom of each post & will be set into concrete (about 8" - 10" below ground in concrete). That isn't necessarily how these brackets were designed to be used, but that's how I'm anchoring each post into concrete. Normally, you'd bury just the rebar with the remainder of the bracket above the concrete. I like my design better. The small/short 2" x 4" boards are just dry-fit cuts of board to test the tightness of fit which will accommodate the horizontal cross-members.

Very nice work Norm. I learned something today...I've never seen a rebar bracket before and can't wait to see finished pic of that post installed
Old August 23rd, 2021, 04:49 AM

John and Keith - I sincerely appreciate your condolences and kind words about Max.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 05:18 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Ray Dzi
Very nice work Norm. I learned something today...I've never seen a rebar bracket before and can't wait to see finished pic of that post installed
Thanks, Ray. I've never seen a rebar bracket for a 6" x 6" post, as well - I found them on-line. They may work fine with the rebar only set in concrete & the saddle/bracket above surface of the concrete, but those posts have such a large amount of weight to them I thought they'd be more stable for a longer period of time buried under the surface of concrete - which, in all honesty wouldn't make the rebar saddle/bracket necessary if I'm burying the posts anyways. Oh well. The posts are ground contact treated and as long as the posts (and concrete) remain well above the soil surface and the metal isn't in contact with the soil underneath I think they'll be just fine. I've buried many posts in concrete alone and when done correctly (well above the soil) they don't deteriorate.

BTW, the only post I've even had to replace was a 4" x 4" post at the bottom of my front porch steps side rail banister. I could see it was becoming wobbly. Upon further examination, I could see a hole getting larger and larger over time and the post weakening. Of all things, ants were burrowing into that hole. They had excavated the entire inside of the post so there was basically nothing more left to the post other than the exterior - the interior was literally hollow - much like if you're ever chain-sawed into a tree and came upon a huge ant farm buried in the interior of the tree - the same happened with that post. Weird.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 10:47 AM

Good afternoon guys,
Hope these bring a smile to your face today!

B-day boy Keegan (3) getting ready to have his cake and ice cream.

Keegan with big brother Gabe (8) opening presents

His biggest present, his first real bike, with RealTree camo paint job. The helmet has to go! GrandPa will be getting him a new one for Christmas!

Our next to the youngest grandchild, Ollie (2), with Dad, Mike

Our newest addition to the family, Anna (3-months), with Dad, Mike. Being the only granddaughter, she's getting no shortage of attention
Old August 23rd, 2021, 10:50 AM

Chris, so sorry about Max

Norm, I'm not sure I'm following the why's of the rebar bracket

Old August 23rd, 2021, 10:54 AM

Chris, so sorry about Max
Thanks James, a tough day today, but we are thankful he is no longer in pain.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 11:01 AM

Chris, I had a bad one too. I may have played golf for the last time with my bud I've played ever Monday [weather permitting ] for 20 years. He;s got the big C and is going into surgery next week
Old August 23rd, 2021, 11:23 AM

Chris, I had a bad one too. I may have played golf for the last time with my bud I've played ever Monday [weather permitting ] for 20 years. He;s got the big C and is going into surgery next week
James - I'm so sorry to hear about your buddy, obviously having known him that long you're close friends. He will be in our prayers that his surgery and follow-up treatments go well. Sometimes life just sucks!
Old August 23rd, 2021, 12:24 PM

True dat. A few years ago, I hired a guy that had a 4 wheeler with a long piece of PVC attached to the front. He filled it with some kind of poison and had wicks hanging down and drove thru the Johnson grass with the wicks hitting the tops Worked a little but not great But if you don't do anything pretty soon it will take over completely

Norm Being and Ole Phart, I can personally assure you recovery time increases with age. As far as mattresses, I vote for a fat girl to keep you warm in the winter
HOOOHHH! I WAS JUST A SKINNY LAD, NEVER KNEW NO GOOD FROM BAD!!!!
Old August 23rd, 2021, 01:01 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, I'm not sure I'm following the why's of the rebar bracket
That makes two of us. Essentially there’s basically not much usefulness to the brackets in the manner I’m using them I suppose.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 03:37 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Rush rush all day. Didn't sleep worth a tinker's dam last night, decided against overtime this morning. We didn't get our first wheel until 730 so I would have been fit to be tied if I was there on overtime. I mean I'd be getting paid anyway, but just sitting 3 1/2 hours doing nothing when you're dog-assed tired? No. All the guys in the back are new, so we were just over 100(out of 160) at 2pm. I texted the lead and said I had to go. I already talked to the carpet people twice and they kept trying to send the guy well before 2. As it was they sent him at 130 and he had to wait until 3 for me to get there. He said he didn't care, he went for lunch and relaxed.

So the carpet at the new house is clean. Most of the smell is gone, and even though there are still dark places and wear marks on the carpet it looks 1000% better. Now the serious moving in can begin.

Chris I hope Max made it over the Rainbow Bridge without any drama. And I hope his people were right there with him. It's sad to witness/be a part of something like that but I think it's important, for everyone.

Jamesbo that's too bad about your friend. Prayers that he weathers the surgery and gets some extra time out of it.

Okay I'm gonna watch a little TV and hit the sack. I sure hope I can sleep tonight. Last night I didn't get to sleep until after midnight. First thing this morning I went to the coffee bar and got a can of pop. I don't care what the doctor says I needed the pick-me-up. I did okay the rest of the day.