The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2021, 12:32 PM

Good afternoon guys,

What was such a nice day yesterday got ugly about 10:30 last night. Maggie Went down the stairs to the backyard and came back up heavily limping on her left rear leg. You could obviously tell it was bothering her quite a bit and she was squirming around all night, which meant we didn't sleep much either.

When we got up this morning, it was probably a little worse, and you could definitely see her knee was swollen. Called the vet and they squeezed us in at 1045. Vet took an x-ray and there were no broken bones. However, somehow her kneecap had been dislodged from the groove in the femur where it should be and had been pushed to the side. They were able to manipulate it back into position. The vet is having a veterinary radiologist look at her x-ray also because our vet said she might be seeing some abnormal growth at the end of the femur, or it could just be inflammation or damage from whatever knocked her kneecap out of place. We're still waiting from a call back from the vet on that. For now we're supposed to keep her from playing, jumping, etc., ice it every couple of hours, and give her the anti-inflammatory and pain medication the vet gave us. I'm having to carry her in/out to the front yard to potty.

May not be on here too much the next few days until we see where this thing is going. Hope you guys have a great weekend!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; November 26th, 2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old November 26th, 2021, 12:44 PM

Chris, Take care of what you need to, we aren't going anywhere. I hope she gets better soon
Old November 26th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Always room for one more

Ah, back home again. Not a bad ride, we did 85-90 most of the way. That's because everyone else was. Sunny, and traffic wasn't as heavy as it was on the way down. But I'm still beat. Off to bed in a little bit, we're working overtime tomorrow.

Chris did Maggie fall down some steps when she went out last? Odd that her knee cap would just get out of place. I hope she isn't in a lot of pain. Hope she gets better quick.

Okay Koda, we're going to have to ask where you got poison ivy? Well, I'd say the first worst place would be your lungs. I've heard of people near suffocating when PI is burned and they breathe it in. Then I'd say the second worst would be the eyes. So you had a tough time seeing for a few days?

Who went to shop on Black Friday? Better question, who went out drinking on Black Wednesday? Next stop, Christmas. I'm up in the air if I'm going back to my Mom's. I might go beforehand and help make cookies.

Okay time to wind down. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old November 26th, 2021, 03:58 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Driving 85mph-90mph for that length of time will make you tired. I think you're spot-on regarding PI locations.
Chris - I hope it's just swollen ligaments/tendons & not a growth on Maggie.

Eating a turkey sandwich & some turkey stuffing then to finish Season 11 of "shameless". This is supposed to be the final season.
Old November 26th, 2021, 04:58 PM

Chris, sorry to hear of Maggie's injury.
Old November 26th, 2021, 07:18 PM

I hope la dogga recovers.

Clean sheets and broke out the electric blanket for the winter. It gets used Dec through March.
Old November 27th, 2021, 04:46 AM
Running On Empty

Leaking Windshield Saga (Cont'd)

Pulled the CJB (Central Junction Box), commonly referred to as the Fuse Panel (Owner's Manual, etc.). OEM Ford wiring diagrams specifically refer to this device as the CJB (for good reason). I could visualize one of the large 6-PIN connectors (there are 12 large connectors) on the back of the CJB demonstrates water damage w/ blue/green corrosive material (gunk). I pulled the back panel from the CJB & sure enough the circuit board itself demonstrates ~10-15 solder points with water infiltration corrosive damage and several other large connectors with water infiltration corrosive damage.

Brand new Ford OEM CJB = $400. eBay has several, if not numerous either repaired or used ranging in price from $125-$250. Part Number: 3C3T-14A067-EC
Numerous vendors list the CJB fitting 2003 F250, some 1999-2005, etc. etc. But, some list the Part Number as 3C3T-14A067-AB (or other various last two letter codes) and some simply list it as 3C3T-14A067 dropping the last two letter codes. I'll bet the last two letter codes pertain to the on-board circuit board employed in each CJB. So, I'm going to have to find the exact Part Number. Some vehicles had different equipment in them (most likely this CJB was used in the Ford Excursion, as well). Additionally, these things work via memory logic which is integrated into things such as the Power Point logic, PCM modules, GEM/VSM modules, ECM modules, etc., etc. I think I'm correct on this, but unlike a PCM or ECM, they don't need to be programmed to the VIN specific vehicle. Instead, when you replace a CJB, you need to let the vehicle run for 10'-15', then take it for a drive for another 10 miles - 30 miles. The truck may run just a little offshore, but the logic is incorporated into the memory chip-sets via driving conditions/style, ON/OFF signals (from the various modules/switches/relays, etc.). Eventually, the CJB becomes integrated into the overall electrical and electronics of the vehicle - simple things (but sophisticated) like accelerator position sensor, overdrive, Powertrain Control Module (PCM), ESOF (Electronic Shift On The Fly [4x4]), etc, etc. So, again - I think those last two letter codes are most likely specific to the circuit board installed in the CJB and the logic would be different if I purchased an identical CJB with only the last two letters being different. My reason for looking for the specific Part Number.

With that said, assuming the CJB is truly the issue (I believe it is), I need to consider which is going to be my first option. Since it's an entire electrical/electronic device, if I buy a used one, I'm left with the notion the one I'm purchasing wasn't damaged, as well. Or, go with the OEM Ford new unit.

I think I'll head over to several of my favorite Ford forums to see if any of the (vendor) members have one for sale or maybe I'll post a Parts Wanted ad for several days. The new windshield gets installed next Tuesday. The F250 is my daily driver, but I do have the '71 CS which runs just fine so I'm not w/o a daily vehicle. I was hoping to have begun R&R of my PS box on the '71 CS by now, but that'll have to wait until the F250 is fully repaired. Baby steps, baby steps. Argh.
Old November 27th, 2021, 05:09 AM

I'm beginning to get a little concerned about mice in my "new" he shed.

I have mice boxes baited with poison and I'm going to get a mouse bucket [which requires some bait]

I'm also using some different "repellants" peppermint oil and Cab pouches

Question

Do you think it's wise to bait [attract] and repel at the same time [as well as poison]

or is the 3 prong attack sound like a good plan
Old November 27th, 2021, 05:24 AM
Running On Empty

James - IMO, it depends on what/where you are attempting to dissuade mice from congregating. Often times just movement alone is a deterrent - IOW, moving a piece of equipment, dislodging a nest, etc. I mention this only because deterrents OUTSIDE of the home are generally useless for mice, IMO. I think you're fine in what you've proposed; yet, there is a pretty well known common deterrent to mice congregations/aggregations and it's human urine. Start drawing a line around your shed. Nothing like pissing in the great outdoors anyways especially when there's a good reason. The notion is this (which you obviously have figured out on your own). Mice have extremely sensitive olfactory organs and are easily dissuaded by the smell of foreign ammonia - the primary constituent of urine.

Chumbawamba - Tubthumping (Pissing The Night Away)

Old November 27th, 2021, 05:27 AM

I think mice should be killed in a trap. Cuz if they eat decon ,etc. they go into a spot, die and rot/stink. That can be worse than the smell of their ****. I also answered about my limited use of the pouches in your other thread. Anyway the old regular type cheap ( about a buck a piece) traps sure can be hard to set and boy do they hurt if they snap your fingers, but I only had one mouse who looked like he suffered (it got his foot/leg) but most times it gets their head-neck- chest and I'm sure it was instant- they never knew what hit em. I know it's only a mouse but I still don't want em to suffer. I think those stickem type traps are really cruel. I have a jar of cheap peanut butter over in barn I use for the traps. So, I guess I do bait them, but only after they have already came into the barn. Stay out ya little sumbitches!!!
Old November 27th, 2021, 06:20 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Tough gig this morning. Got to work at 4, left by 7. I think we signed off 40 wheels. Hardly seems worth it to have gone in, but hey, they wanted these specific wheels and they paid for them. Made it to the Awful house and had a good chat.

Mice, I think will be pretty hard to get rid of outside. I heard the way Decon works is it kills the mice and then dries them all out, so they don't stink. I think the best way to get rid of mice is to get a cat. I don't like cats, but if I had a barn I'd get one, and not feed it. There's its incentive to catch the mice.

Norm I don't think they are singing about peeing outdoors.

Okay I got the whole day to myself. I need to go to the junkyard, but I might wait till it warms up a little. Oh guess what. Got up at O Dark Thirty and no furnace. Came home just now and reset that stupid rollout switch. The frickin' thing isn't rolling out, I don't know why the switch keeps tripping. Weak, I guess.

Okay have a good Saturday everyone.

Old November 27th, 2021, 06:23 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm I don't think they are singing about peeing outdoors.
Mike - They aren't. Tongue in cheek. Use your imagination.
Old November 27th, 2021, 06:58 AM
Running On Empty

I'd like to get moving on addressing this leaking windshield issue electrical repair so I opted for a company who rebuilds this exact CJB with exact Part Number. Performing more research on this part, it appears Ford has a number which supersedes the OEM Part Number. A new OEM Ford CJB = $500+. Yikes, that's expensive candy. The exact rebuilt Part Number I ordered = $230 + $15 shipping ($245). Comes with a one year warranty and a good return policy. Fingers crossed.
Old November 27th, 2021, 07:20 AM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Use your imagination.
I think that's what Koda wanted us to do with his poison ivy bit.

Old November 27th, 2021, 08:15 AM

Maggie Update

Hi guys,

Thanks to all of you who commented on Maggie's injury and gave well wishes for her recovery, I really appreciate you guys! I am not ashamed to say I was in tears yesterday morning watching her hop on 3 legs trying to find her spot to go to potty.

We finally got the call back from the vet this morning when they opened up. All good news. Veterinary radiologist reported no evidence of broken bone/s, no evidence of abnormal growth at the knee end of femur, they do not think any tendons or ligaments are torn, although one may be stretched. The radiologist said she may have seen the start of some arthritis, which is odd because she is only 3. We need to continue to try and get some weight off her.

She is still very noticeably limping this morning, but is putting it down, and not hopping on 3 legs. To use Norm's mantra, Baby Steps. Regimen for the next 2-days is to keep her from moving as much as possible, with continued icing of the knee, plus her meds. Switch over to heat treatments after the next couple of days, and a recheck visit to the vet in 10-days.

Mike - It was dark out when Maggie went out that night and we were not watching her, but as you suggested, we assume she either fell on the steps, or banged her knee on one coming up. When she comes up steps, she bounds like a charging bull. She could have banged a knee on a step as she was charging up, but we will never know. Needless to say, she will not be navigating any steps for a long time.

James - Good luck with the mice, the nasty little bastards. I use a variety of stuff including poisons and repellants. I have read they hate the smell of Bounce dryer sheets. I put wads of them in the engine bay, interior, trunk, and tailpipes of the 4-4-2. I also put them in the tailpipes of the motorcycles and under the seats where most of the electronics are. No mice issues with those vehicles storing them like that..

Norm - Good luck with the replacement part, hope it does the trick for you.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Old November 27th, 2021, 08:29 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
We finally got the call back from the vet this morning when they opened up. All good news.

Old November 27th, 2021, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Thanks Norm!
Old November 27th, 2021, 12:44 PM

Chris: MICHIGAN 42 Ohio St. 27.
Old November 27th, 2021, 12:44 PM

Way to go Blue!!!!! Woody's still a Pecker, and a Buckeye's still a Nut!
Old November 27th, 2021, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris: MICHIGAN 42 Ohio St. 27.
Dan - You must have beat me by a millisecond. What a game!
Old November 27th, 2021, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
I think that's what Koda wanted us to do with his poison ivy bit.
I was tempted to call up a female friend and tell her it was big(ger) and red if she wanted some.
Old November 27th, 2021, 02:51 PM

Regarding rodents:

we have hawks and owls so I didn’t want to use poison. I found a product called Rat-X that is made of corn gluten meal. Mice and rats can’t process corn gluten, and it coats their stomach and intestines so they can’t absorb water, and the little rodents dehydrate to the point they suffer cardiac arrest. Since the corn gluten doesn’t affect other animals, there’s no issue with predators eating the lethargic or deceased rodents.
Old November 27th, 2021, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Regarding rodents:

we have hawks and owls so I didn’t want to use poison. I found a product called Rat-X that is made of corn gluten meal. Mice and rats can’t process corn gluten, and it coats their stomach and intestines so they can’t absorb water, and the little rodents dehydrate to the point they suffer cardiac arrest. Since the corn gluten doesn’t affect other animals, there’s no issue with predators eating the lethargic or deceased rodents.
Kenneth - That's a good alternative to know about, thank you!
Old November 27th, 2021, 04:45 PM

Kenneth - That's a good alternative to know about, thank you!

Old November 27th, 2021, 05:31 PM

She is still very noticeably limping this morning, but is putting it down, and not hopping on 3 legs. To use Norm's mantra, Baby Steps. Regimen for the next 2-days is to keep her from moving as much as possible, with continued icing of the knee, plus her meds. Switch over to heat treatments after the next couple of days, and a recheck visit to the vet in 10-days.
I feel your and Maggie's pain.

Last year our 3 year old Cattle Dog suddenly started doing the tripod shuffle. Dunno what happened to cause this, but two Cattle Dogs left alone all day, what could possibly go wrong? We took him to multiple vets, including a valley renowned orthopedic surgeon, and the consensus was a soft tissue injury (I still dunno exactly what that means). After many examinations and CT x-ray inspection with no anomalies found, the recommendation was to limit his mobility for a few weeks to allow time to heal. That translated to keeping him (a three year old Australian Cattle Dog) in a pen with no activity other than going to the backyard on a leash to do his business. Three weeks later, he was still tripodding. That was not a fun time for any of us. But then, miracle of all miracles, after 4 weeks he started walking normally! Yeah, oh great joy!

So lots of rest and recuperation time may be the ticket here. Good luck!
Old November 27th, 2021, 06:21 PM

I feel your and Maggie's pain.

Last year our 3 year old Cattle Dog suddenly started doing the tripod shuffle. Dunno what happened to cause this, but two Cattle Dogs left alone all day, what could possibly go wrong? We took him to multiple vets, including a valley renowned orthopedic surgeon, and the consensus was a soft tissue injury (I still dunno exactly what that means). After many examinations and CT x-ray inspection with no anomalies found, the recommendation was to limit his mobility for a few weeks to allow time to heal. That translated to keeping him (a three year old Australian Cattle Dog) in a pen with no activity other than going to the backyard on a leash to do his business. Three weeks later, he was still tripodding. That was not a fun time for any of us. But then, miracle of all miracles, after 4 weeks he started walking normally! Yeah, oh great joy!

So lots of rest and recuperation time may be the ticket here. Good luck!
Kenneth - Thanks for the well wishes for Maggie's recovery, much appreciated. Like your dog, we have no idea how it happened, but we do know exactly what the injury was. Her knee cap was totally dislodged and laying on the side of her knee when she got to the vet. No wonder the poor baby was in pain, I can't imagine the agony! Makes me cringe just to think about it!
Old November 27th, 2021, 07:20 PM

I send good wishes for a speedy recovery.
❤️‍🩹
Old November 27th, 2021, 07:30 PM

I send good wishes for a speedy recovery.
❤️‍🩹
Kenneth - Thanks a bunch! She was a little better this morning, hopefully a little more tomorrow. We're just keeping our fingers crossed at this point that she keeps heading in the right direction. I would not be surprised if like your dog, it takes several weeks for her to fully recover.
Old November 27th, 2021, 08:58 PM
Always room for one more

Kinda got carried away tonight, I'm surprised at myself. While I was waiting for my laundry to finish up I started sorting and going through some boxes and repacking and all that. Got quite a dent put in the one part of the basement. Maybe that's the secret. Start laundry, do some packing.

I got the furnace to kick on this afternoon and it's been running pretty much non-stop. It's hot as a mother in here. About 72. I usually keep it around 65. Usually there's a little click when the slide moves past the current temperature, but today it's not doing that. The furnace is coming on and after a while I tap the slide back a little and it turns off. Years ago I had a digital thermostat that went haywire and fried the computer board on the unit outside, so my neighbor who did heating and air put in this basic Tstat, that's always been a little off. Eh, what do you want for free. I appreciated him working on my system so willingly and not charging me. Really a good friend. He isn't around anymore and I miss him.

Two yard parties happening on the lake tonight. On the one side of the lake is rap music and the like, and on the other side of the lake is a redneck bonfire thing going. Both sound like fun actually. It's always a good time getting together and whooping it up.

Time to hit the sack. When I worked midnights I would call this noon. Sometimes I miss those days. But I don't miss the work. Okay hope everyone is having a good night.

Old November 27th, 2021, 10:43 PM

Mike , so at your place it’s 72 with the furnace running amok. I have the windows open and now at 11:30 pm it’s 70 degrees in the house.
Old November 28th, 2021, 03:18 AM

Norm, I'd have ta drink a case of dud suds to Pi$$ that much

Alabama and Aruban [iron bowl] was a good game also

Mike, Just remember the little engine that "could"
Old November 28th, 2021, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Alabama and Aruban [iron bowl] was a good game also
James - That was a good game. I was switching back and forth between that game and Michigan State vs Penn State. The SEC title game between Georgia and Alabama should be a dandy!
Old November 28th, 2021, 04:57 AM

Good morning guys,
Both dogs got me up at 0330 to go out. Monty went out back down the stairs as usual. Maggie went out thru the garage to the front yard. She is walking well enough now that she can walk out to the front without me carrying her, except for me lifting her up/down the 2-steps from the kitchen into the garage. I think she could make it on her own, but don't want to take any unnecessary chances this early in the healing process. Monty did not look pleased having to wait for us to come in when he was waiting at the back door when we came in. He hates the cold and it was about 33° at that time.

After getting them both back in bed, I laid back down but don't think I really ever got back to sleep. The commotion of getting them out, and going out into the cold myself, pretty much had me wide awake. I tossed and turned until about 0530 and said to hell with it..

Not supposed to make it out of the 40's today. An Indian Summer is coming this week though, with temps in the mid-60's thru low-70's Mon - Fri. No big plans for today other than picking up a piece of furniture for my wife at 1000 this morning. Probably some NFL action on tap sometime today. I try to at least catch the KC Chiefs games when they're on. Most importantly just hoping to see some continued improvement in Maggie's condition from day to day. I have to admit, I wasn't paying super close attention to her walking when we went out at 0330, I was half asleep and cold.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; November 28th, 2021 at 05:54 AM.
Old November 28th, 2021, 06:15 AM

I tried a snoring monitor app last night. It put me in "epic" most of the time. I need to get un-fat again.
Old November 28th, 2021, 07:34 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Sunny and not too bad out. Imagine, my house is warmer than Phoenix.

I wouldn't have spent two hours at the Awful house except I didn't see this one guy drive up. He is an okay guy, but he's loud, and doesn't shut up. When he is there he dominates the conversation. Let me rephrase. He yammers on and no one else talks. I could have left anyway, but I didn't want it to look like I was leaving because of him. Besides, I did that last time.

Tiger wanted to get up a little after 6 this morning. I could have stayed up and puttered around, but I went back to bed. Tiger jumped up and cuddled for a little while, which is rare, and I would have stayed in bed all day if he didn't move. We finally got up around 730 and got ready to leave.

I think I'm finally going to the junkyard today. Haven't been in months. I need to find Honda Civic wheels for my sister's car, then I'm going to have it painted, then it's getting the hell out of my garage. It really isn't bothering anything, but she keeps asking me about it and it's time to get it done and back down to her. It's only been 2 and a half years.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.

Old November 28th, 2021, 10:37 AM

Chris, it was a great game. I watched MSU/Penn State game, as well as jumping over to the Alabama/Auburn game, a lot to watch. Good to hear that Maggie is on the road to recovery.
Old November 28th, 2021, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, it was a great game. I watched MSU/Penn State game, as well as jumping over to the Alabama/Auburn game, a lot to watch. Good to hear that Maggie is on the road to recovery.
Dan - I really appreciate the well wishes for Maggie. She is doing a little better again today, so she's going in the right direction. Soon the challenge will be to keep her from trying to do to much. She roughhouses with Monty all day long, and Monty is having issues trying to understand why Maggie can't play.

Like you said, there were alot of great games on yesterday. That Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State game was a barn burner too. Just keeping my fingers and toes crossed that Michigan doesn't have a let down next week after the big win over the Buckeyes! I honestly think Michigan is peaking at the right time though.
Old November 28th, 2021, 01:57 PM
Running On Empty

Go Pack!

Old November 28th, 2021, 02:35 PM

Norm, You certainly make some beautiful salads,

Do you ever stuff avocados with lump crab and top with Louis sauce? [ basically ketchup, ole Bay , mayo and lemon juice}

It's one of my all time favorites Usually I have a side of sliced tomato and a few hard boiled egg quarters
Old November 28th, 2021, 03:04 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, You certainly make some beautiful salads,
Do you ever stuff avocados with lump crab and top with Louis sauce? [ basically ketchup, ole Bay , mayo and lemon juice}
It's one of my all time favorites Usually I have a side of sliced tomato and a few hard boiled egg quarters
James - Thanks. No I have not. I've never had a stuffed avocado & I've never made one, it sounds delicious. Be careful, I'm easily influenced by your suggestions. I love lump crab.