The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2022, 07:07 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I belong to the Ford Truck Enthusiasts (FTE) forum so I'll create a thread on FTE forum so as not to consume this Good Morning thread. If anything comes to your mind regarding any helpful advice it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old July 13th, 2022, 08:42 PM

Norm, over the years I have become a proficient AC mechanic out of necessity. The refrigerant is a gas so it has to be recovered using gauges / hoses connected to the system. As for gauges, any with the appropriate fittings will work. I have R12 gauges and R134A adapters for the newer vehicles. I made a recovery tank from an empty 30 pound R12 jug, vacuum it down, connect it to the AC system, place it in a bucket of ice, and let thermodynamics do the work. I bought a used Robinair vacuum pump and a flush gun online, and a set of Ford springlock tools from the local auto parts store. The tools + parts were half the price of a shop doing the work, and then I had the tools for the next 4-5 AC jobs that came along.

Last edited by Fun71; July 13th, 2022 at 08:45 PM.
Old July 13th, 2022, 09:31 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Good to know. Thanks.
Old July 14th, 2022, 01:57 PM

Good afternoon guys,

Took Maggie to the vet this morning at 0900, she was due for her annual Bordetella vaccine. We thought we'd be going back this afternoon at 1530 for Monty to get a Cytopoint injection, which is some type of steroidal drug that systemically eases chronic topical dermatitis that is causing the dog to excessively scratch and lick their paws. Maggie had had her appointment scheduled for a long time, and when we decided Monty should get another injection, they told us they couldn't squeeze him in on Maggie's appointment, and we'd need to bring him in at 1530. When we got there for Maggie's morning appointment, we double checked again and they agreed to squeeze Monty in so we wouldn't have to come back at 1530! Yea!!!

On the way home from the vet we stopped to pick up what was probably a child's school desk from around 1900 to 1920 that my wife had bought. Luckily, it barely fit into the very back part of our SUV, even with the dogs taking up the back seat in their doggie hammock. That saved another separate trip. Yea, x2!!! Not much else going on today. Even though I had been prepping my car earlier this week for a judged show on Saturday, I have now changed my mind about going to that show because of the distance, the forecasted heat, and not wanting to sit out in it all day. There are 3 local cruise-ins very close to me this weekend, 2 on Friday, and one on Saturday. I'm now going to try to go to 1 on each day. Even going to both it will be less than half the total mileage, it should be a little cooler in the evening, and I won't be tied up all day. I'll save an entry fee and a bunch of gas. That's my story, and I'm stickin to it!

Hope everyone had a nice day and has a relaxing evening.
Old July 14th, 2022, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I have now changed my mind about going to that show because of the distance, the forecasted heat, and not wanting to sit out in it all day.
C'mon man, it can't be that hot.
Old July 14th, 2022, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
C'mon man, it can't be that hot.
Kenneth - Ya, you're right, only 96°, with 100% sunshine, and no shade to speak of at the site. Pales in comparison to 114°. What can I say, I'm a Wuss!
Old July 14th, 2022, 02:36 PM
Running On Empty

Trending in a positive direction on AC compressor removal. I won't bore anyone/everyone w/ the laborious details - just takes time (often times what a mechanic on an hourly rate fail to do correctly the first time while they bust everything up creating tons of collateral damage to make their work quota). Several FTE forum members have provided some good information.

Chris - I know Kenneth is busting your ***** regarding the heat - yet; I'm sure you see Kenneth doesn't have sweltering heat - 110°F with 15% humidity. Seriously, when is it going to get hot for Kenneth? I realize he's from Louisiana so I'm sure he knows real heat & humidity. I've been working on the truck in 93°F w/ 90% humidity. Sweat rolling off in buckets.

Jaelynn - Post some pictures of your '63 98 when you get it as Dan (1969w33155) suggested.
Old July 14th, 2022, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Seriously, when is it going to get hot for Kenneth? I realize he's from Louisiana so I'm sure he knows real heat & humidity.
Norm, a few years ago I was back home for July 4, working in the yard with Mom. It was mid afternoon, 95º and 60% humidity. I asked Mom if it felt hot and she gave an affirmative answer. All I could think was "This doesn't feel hot - it's 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix".
Old July 14th, 2022, 03:05 PM

This is the temperature of my back patio pavers that are in full sun. Around midnight they were still 105 degrees.

Old July 14th, 2022, 03:09 PM
Running On Empty

Old July 14th, 2022, 04:00 PM

All I know is that both +95° with 60% humidity and +110° with 10% humidity are just plain dangerously hot and brutally uncomfortable! What I do know for sure is, that here in StL, this is the hottest start to a summer I can ever remember in my 39-years here. Got my latest electric bill today, and it was almost $50 more than the same period last year, roughly 25% more! I'm gonna call the phenomenon, "Incineration Inflation"!
Old July 14th, 2022, 04:12 PM

My family in LA has been discussing the drastic increase in their electric bills - as in double what they used to be. There is a fuel surcharge that is the same amount as the electric usage charge. But even with that, their electric bill is not as much as mine. I was thinking today that to keep my house at 80ºF the AC has to drop the inside air temp 35º less than the outside air temp. Back on the Gulf Coast I don't think I ever had the house 35º lower than the outside temperature.
Old July 14th, 2022, 04:15 PM

Haven't seen Jim here since Saturday, I wonder what's up.
Old July 14th, 2022, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I was thinking today that to keep my house at 80ºF the AC has to drop the inside air temp 35º less than the outside air temp.
Despite having so many wonderful qualities,, my wife is one of those women who are always cold in the winter, and hot in the summer, and as a result, we keep our house at 74° in the summer. A few years ago it was 76°, then 75°, and now 74°, I ain't going no lower. If I even suggested we move it back to 76°, I think she'd tell me to go get a room somewhere and I could have it any temp I want!
Old July 14th, 2022, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Haven't seen Jim here since Saturday, I wonder what's up.
Jim - Do ya see this, we've got a BOLO out for ya!
Old July 14th, 2022, 05:50 PM
Running On Empty

Before the Earth cooled I resided in California (USAF active duty station). Lots of businesses & residences employed swamp (evaporative) coolers - extremely effective in high temperature (hot) low humidity (dry) environments (I resided out by Riverside/San Bernardino/Palm Springs desert environment).

I keep the house @ 79°F during the day - very, very comfortable since the heat exchange combination unit pulls out moisture. During the evening (overnight) it's set @ 75°F. Not sure if y'all recall but I had to R&R the compressor beginning of summer. Let me tell you something, my combination unit runs so much better and removes moisture so much more effectively now. It's a 2-stage unit and it spends most of its time in Stage 1 now, which means my electric bill is far less. I hardly hit Stage 2 any longer. Basically, if I have this right, the delta between Stage 1 & Stage 2 is current (amperage) draw. Oh yeah, I like to draw/consume fewer amps.
Old July 14th, 2022, 06:50 PM

Norm, I would farm this job out, myself. The actual cost of unbolting and rebolting the compressor shouldn't be much. The cost will be in the evacuating and recharging the system. Unless you want to make a way to handle the refrigerant as Ken was talkin. A A/C shop could evacuate system, change compressor and filter/dryer, and recharge system all in one shot. Well that's what I would do ....
Old July 14th, 2022, 07:28 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - If the outdoor humidity is ~15% as indicated by your posts, do homes, businesses etc in your area have humidifiers which supplement moisture into buildings?
Old July 14th, 2022, 07:35 PM
Running On Empty

Greg - I can’t drive the truck to any shop w/o a serpentine belt - I can’t drive the truck at all. I’m proceeding on my own to install all new parts. Once finished with the installations, I’ll take it to an AC shop to recharge the system.
Old July 14th, 2022, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Kenneth - If the outdoor humidity is ~15% as indicated by your posts, do homes, businesses etc in your area have humidifiers which supplement moisture into buildings?
No. Here’s a current shot of my indoor/outdoor weather station. We have a regular central air system in the house.

Remember that RH is a calculation based on the air temp vs the dew point, so the same air at different temps will have different RH. Temperature and RH are inversely proportional.

Last edited by Fun71; July 14th, 2022 at 07:59 PM.
Old July 14th, 2022, 08:49 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Understand the inverse proportionality of RH to T & DP. Just wasn’t sure if AC units relied solely on cooling to raise RH or if they were supplemented with humidifiers. It would seem that’s a ton of energy required to lower the T enough to get a comfortable in-home RH. I don’t want your electric bill.
Old July 14th, 2022, 08:56 PM

A thunderstorm just popped up and it’s raining like crazy. How fortunate that I posted a pic of the weather station earlier. Here’s the current conditions for comparison.
My how quickly things change.

Old July 14th, 2022, 09:02 PM
Running On Empty

Is there a front passing? You’ve moved from a low pressure system to a high pressure system based on your gauge.
Old July 14th, 2022, 09:08 PM

No front, it’s just a thermal thunderstorm. These pop up during our monsoon season.

And I didn’t think it felt like 74 degrees out - the rain water on the weather station sending unit skewed the reading. That’s the rain water temperature and not the air temperature. The actual air temperature is 92 per the neighborhood weather station and my back porch thermometer.

Old July 14th, 2022, 09:14 PM
Running On Empty

Gotcha. You’re caught in a wedge. Three low pressure systems surrounding a high pressure system - a wedgie.

Old July 14th, 2022, 09:59 PM

Yep. That one high pressure area was further south and blocking the low pressure, and now that it’s moving northward the low pressure area with the moist air from the Gulf of California is moving in. That moisture combined with the daytime heat creates thunderstorms and much needed rain. That 0.23” of rainfall was the most we’ve had in months.

Last edited by Fun71; July 14th, 2022 at 10:09 PM.
Old July 15th, 2022, 02:21 AM

Been really busy

M 38 A 1 The previous owner used RTV silicone instead of a $7 gasket around the pickup on the top of the fuel take. it was very much like putting too much peanut butter on a sandwich and some of it oozed out into the tank. It would crank fine and idle forever fine and you'd be driving merrily along and it would stop, and not crack, a few minutes later it would crank again and run beautifully for a while.. I think what happened is a small piece of the silicone would stop up the fuel line/filter as the engine called for gas, Then after it sat for a while the silicone would settle down into the fuel filter and it would crank run again Cleaned the tank and decided d to pull it. Only to fine out it had been patched and repatched very way possible. took it to a radiator shop and they said, "We can fix it up it would cost more than a new one." So ordered a new tank and new gaskets

Chevy 2500 4X4 The injectors were going Tango uniform and I "Think" it phucqued up the catalytic convertor . Being the cheap guy I am, I decided not to buy a new truck so i have a chevy Vortex crate engine on the way. I'm in the 4th quarter of life and I hope the truck will out last me. I never turn on the radio or speed control so WTF do I need with a touch screen

K-5 Blazer. Everyone I see I want turn into a scam. I'm really getting weary of on line car shopping

Bad News. My dear neighbor' was an accomplished horse lady and 'rescued flowers/plants from older homes being bulldozed for development . Unfortunately her husband was having and affair. Facing loss of her family, home ,farm and loved horses. She was found hanging from the rafters in her horse barn. Some of her friends suspect foul play. I really don't know. What I do know is her husband's girlfriend called me about having a service. Which seem VERY odd. While her remains are in the coroner's office, there is some kind of "investigation" going on. Who know what a the outcome will be Her 13 Year old daughter is carrying on Mom's tradition of having and honor system Flower stand in front of their house. I really feel for the poor child. 13 is a difficult age SAD
Old July 15th, 2022, 05:58 AM
GCH

Very sad history about your neighbor Jim and i feel sorry for the 13 year old daughter.

Here the weather havs been a little colder , looked at the temp gauge in the night and it only showed 7 Celsius. Feels almost like autumn. Took the 88 to a place where you can pic strawberrys yourself and this should be tasty with vanilla icecream later.

Old July 15th, 2022, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Been really busy

Bad News. My dear neighbor' was an accomplished horse lady and 'rescued flowers/plants from older homes being bulldozed for development . Unfortunately her husband was having and affair. Facing loss of her family, home ,farm and loved horses. She was found hanging from the rafters in her horse barn.
Jim - The info about your neighbor is horribly tragic and sad! My prayers go out to her daughter and other loving family.

The rest of your info about your vehicles is just "Stuff" crap, and it will pass. I know I am preaching to the choir. When something like what happened to your neighbor happens, it jolts you back into reality, and makes you really appreciate your life and what you've got. Hang in there buddy!
Old July 15th, 2022, 06:58 AM

Chris, EXACTLY The 'Stuff" is just my everyday life. But the poor kid's life really bothers me
Old July 15th, 2022, 07:15 AM

Chris, EXACTLY The 'Stuff" is just my everyday life. But the poor kid's life really bothers me
Jim - Yes, it's just horrible for the young lady, I hope she has close family or friends that will be there for her 24/7 to help guide her thru her teenage years!
Old July 15th, 2022, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Very sad history about your neighbor Jim and i feel sorry for the 13 year old daughter.

Here the weather havs been a little colder , looked at the temp gauge in the night and it only showed 7 Celsius. Feels almost like autumn. Took the 88 to a place where you can pic strawberrys yourself and this should be tasty with vanilla icecream later.
Glenn - Great to hear from you! I hope you and your wife have been enjoying your summer. If you've been keeping up with this thread, I'm sure you've read we've all been experiencing very hot weather over most of the U.S. so far this summer. Send some of those cooler temps our way please. Be safe if your out on your bikes!
Old July 15th, 2022, 09:00 AM
GCH

Yes Chris , reading this thread and other on CO when i can. Member on other forums also. Have
seen that is very warm temprature in the US and here in southern Europe it,s very hot also .

It,s hard to understand the temprature Kenneth have in AZ , the highest i remember is 95F and it was
a pain. Take care you also and other CO members also. When you read tragic things like Jim wrote
before it,s a reminder how fragile life is and how fast everything can change.
Old July 15th, 2022, 03:06 PM

Jim, so sorry to hear about your neighbor, and what it will mean to a 13 year old. A fragile age to lose a parent. Did you go look at the Blazer? Just curious. Glenn, those are some nice looking strawberries, enjoy. Blueberries should be coming into season any time now. I will buy about 5-7lbs. to freeze for use throughout the year.
Old July 15th, 2022, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Jim, Did you go look at the Blazer? Just curious. .

I looked at so many Blazers I'm crossed eyed

Thanks I guess ya gotta kiss alot of frogs to meet a Prince

They range from $1,500 to $50,000 [which I'm not gonna pay]
Old July 15th, 2022, 03:45 PM

Glenn, Have you ever tried 'Strawberries Romanoff? chop a few up drizzle with Grand Manier and pour on Vanilla ice cream.It's really yummy
Old July 16th, 2022, 04:11 AM

Got the right exhaust manifold back on the Olds. What a pia. Had to lift engine and snake manifold and heat riser shield out together thru the front of engine-right side by radiator. Took manifolds over to a friends and flattened-cleaned the surfaces with a big belt sander. Today I plan to put left one back on, then replace motor mounts and change oil- grease ft end etc- also check U joints, I think I am getting a vibration from U joints. Oh yeah, got everything dried out and put back together. Sorry about your neighbor, Jim- wow what a tragedy.
Old July 16th, 2022, 04:22 AM
GCH

Glenn, Have you ever tried 'Strawberries Romanoff? chop a few up drizzle with Grand Manier and pour on Vanilla ice cream.It's really yummy
Thanks for tip Jim , not tried that but sounds good
Well i am a little thorn how to do with my 88 , engine needs to came out and i,m not sure about the space for this. Poor compression in cyl 5 but it starts easy and drive. Maybe i try to sell or trade it to something else.
Old July 16th, 2022, 04:26 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - That's interesting & good information. I've looked at my stock exhaust manifolds several times reviewing their condition & amount of space & it seemed like a pretty straight-in shot. I'll keep your experience in mind.
Old July 17th, 2022, 08:30 AM

Good morning guys,

Greg - Good luck getting your Cutlass back on the road.

Well, my car event plans for the weekend continued to change from Friday afternoon into Saturday morning because the weather continued to change. Friday's cruise-in event was washed out, and very early Saturday morning I decided to go ahead and go to the Car Show in Union, MO sponsored by the Moose Lodge there. I was the only Oldsmobile, but somehow won Best of Show, receiving a nice plaque and a gift certificate for $100 worth of car service. If you want to check out the pics you can find them at the following link:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ion-mo-165780/

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 17th, 2022 at 09:15 AM.