The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2022, 05:37 AM

Mike, the solution to your lawn mower problem is sitting in my yard for sale
Old July 28th, 2022, 06:35 AM
Running On Empty

Hey Mike. Do you actually have a lawn (per se), or a big variety of various grasses & weeds? My suggestion is to buy some sod. Much easier to establish and develop rapid growth w/o the need for vigilant attention to watering, straw, seedling development, time for germination/growth. Centipede grows fast and is “cheep”.
Old July 28th, 2022, 08:58 AM
Always room for one more

Norm what little bit of yard that's bare is not worth getting sod. One of my plans was to relocate the driveway and then I'd probably sod the whole front, but it doesn't look like that's going to get done. The biggest spot that needs grass is about the size of a midsize car sitting in the same spot for years. Hm. Jamesbo I'd love to show up my neighbors with a machine like that. But my name would probably have to be Rockefeller to own it.

People have jumped back into work after lunch. I had some ear buds in maybe the lead came and bribed them all and I didn't hear it. Or threatened them. Usually his threats don't hold much water. Like when he threatened to quit if we didn't all work overtime. We didn't and he didn't.

Well one thing about not sleeping good at night is I get to catch up while I don't have anything to sign.

Old July 28th, 2022, 09:20 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - That was exactly my point. Stop by Lowe’s, Home Depot or Walmart. Yes, Walmart has a garden section. Grab 20-30 pieces of sod @ ~$3/each. Toss ‘em down - done. I’d prefer you do that instead of bitching about it. LMFAO 🤣
Old July 28th, 2022, 09:37 AM
Always room for one more

Nah not bitching. And there'd be no "just tossing it down" I'd have to obsess about it and overthink the whole operation.

The work explosion was short lived. I think my wall guy is now going backwards. Such an asset to the company.

Old July 28th, 2022, 10:11 AM

Funny [at least to me]

A lady on FB just wrote " Girls, there's no such thing as a one night stand, They're all auditions baby, If you get a call back, you get the part"
Old July 28th, 2022, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Funny [at least to me]

A lady on FB just wrote " Girls, there's no such thing as a one night stand, They're all auditions baby, If you get a call back, you get the part"
Old July 28th, 2022, 10:17 AM

Mike, Somewhere I saw a guy "borrow" a grocery cart [buggy] and filled it full of peat moss and used it as a spreader Worked pretty good from what I could tell, IMHO I'd wait until fall to spread seeds and I'd sow fescue, but what ever you do, throwing seeds onto Georgia red clay w/o doing something to the soil is a waste of time/money....................................Seed don't grow well on [basically] bricks. Adding some kind of organic matter is a MUST

I have a Troy built Horse tiller if ya wanta borrow it.
Old July 28th, 2022, 11:05 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Jim made good suggestions; but, you could get by w/ an eating/dining fork to scratch ~5” deep into the soil to loosen it up before you seed - as opposed to a tiller. Please ask your Mom to take a video if you go this way.
Old July 28th, 2022, 11:14 AM
Running On Empty

I watched The Most Hated Man On The Internet 3 Episode Netflix series - 1 hr/ea Episode. Disgusting pathetic POS human being. Hunter Moore.
Old July 28th, 2022, 01:39 PM

Norm/Mike

I was suggesting a tiller to add organic material to the soil IMHO it's like alot of things 'Prep" makes all the difference. If it were me, I'd try to find some "free" organic material like horse shavings mixed with horse apples that some stable was trying to get rid of. Ax them to come dump it, let it rot in my yard [maybe wait a year] till it in and then plant. FWIW I've never seen Mike's yard but I've seen plenty of Georgia red clay
Old July 28th, 2022, 02:21 PM
Running On Empty

Jim/Mike - Agree completely w/ Jim’s suggestions. I’m suspicious Mike doesn’t spend much time as a Yard Boy. I think he once mentioned installing laying down synthetic stadium turf grass.
Old July 28th, 2022, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
. Jamesbo I'd love to show up my neighbors with a machine like that. But my name would probably have to be Rockefeller to own it..
Mike, Ya heard it here 1st "Ya get what ya pay for .........................if you're lucky"

Mike, I'll swap you a Troy built rear tine tiller AND and EXmark 60" zero turn mower even for one of your DUKW That way, your neighbors will be happy you have a lawn and mine will be P.O.'d I have more yard art
Old July 29th, 2022, 04:40 AM

We went to see Elvis at the old school Pines theater last night, it was the fullest I've ever seen the place. It was good, sorta reminded me of the movie about Freddy Mercury a few years ago. Elvis movie was very good, but not great like the Top Gun movie was. Both were fun. Tonight we are going to pick up another Olds couple and going to the tractor pulls at the county fair. This guy and his wife own 2 Hurst Olds' ( a 79 and 84-I think- ) they also have a 06 GTO. I met him on the Old US 27 Motor Tour, and we have become friends. See yas!
Old July 29th, 2022, 05:17 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

You know I don't like change. Good thing, because today is a carbon copy of yesterday, already. It was 630, we had four wheels, and the wall guy was asking how many we had and was counting wheels on the rail. The robot guy came up and said, we only have to do 29 wheels today. I said so what, we haven't reached that all week. Oh well, I brought lunch.

Jamesbo I think I'd be getting the better end of the deal on that one. But your neighbors would love it. Not sure about Supermodel.

As for the grass, this is no prize winning lawn. I'll scratch up the dirt a little with a garden rake, put down some seed like I'm feeding chickens, then water it a little. It will be fine. But now that that car is gone, I need to build some sort of fence so no one steals my air conditioner.

So a guy calls me yesterday whom I had met many years ago. He's part of the Amphicar club. His dad lives in the next town over and he wants to come see me. How nice. I remember he was a nice guy and had a nice family.

Guess I'll get ready for break. It's actually Friday for me, because I'm not working overtime tomorrow. Eh. Have a good day everyone.

Old July 29th, 2022, 07:43 AM

Good morning guys,

Did not post much yesterday during a long and stressful day. The day was not nearly as stressful for me as it was for my wife. First, very late Wednesday night, my wife found out on Facebook that her step-mom that lives with her Dad in Michigan had died this past Sunday. Why her Dad had not reached out to his kids to let them know, is, but then again isn't, a mystery. He's always been very nice to me, but he is very stoic, and not one to communicate much of anything. So my wife was dealing with thoughts of that going into her Brother's kidney cancer surgery yesterday.

Her brother's surgery went well, and they were able to do only a partial removal (1/3) of the kidney to remove the cancer. That was great news, because he still has a 2nd mass on the other kidney that has to be dealt with later. Right now, it is not definitive whether the mass on the 2nd kidney is cancer yet or not, it has not been biopsied, but they suspect it is. The 2nd kidney will be addressed down the road after they see if they have saved the 1st one.

After I had taken my wife to her brother's house yesterday morning, and she rode with them to the hospital, she stayed with our SIL all day until my wife's nephew gave her a ride back to her brother's house around 1000 pm last night. By the time I got the call to come pick her up at her brother's house, and made the +2-hr trip to get her, it was a little past midnight by the time we got home. We weren't in the door a half-hour when my wife got a frantic text from our SIL letting her know her brother was having a significant heart episode. Apparently our SIL had tried to call a couple times, but my wife did not get the call because she had turned her ringer down at the hospital and had forgotten to turn it back up. Apparently, for reason unknown as of yet, her brother's heart was trying to have a heart attack, and they ended up moving him to the Intensive Care Unit in the Heart Wing of the hospital to work on him and monitor him closely. My wife contininued to get updates from our SIL into the early morning hours until they got him stabilized around 0300, and we finally went to bed. Ai Yi Yi, what a fun day! Much worse for my wife than me, but long and stressful just the same. Certainly hope today is more calm.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 29th, 2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old July 29th, 2022, 02:35 PM

Well, things are getting close to home for me. Next week I have to bury my college room mate. He bought a lot from me several years ago, I thought it was because he raced Porches at road Atlanta.

Turns out COPD
Old July 29th, 2022, 02:37 PM

Good evening guys,

Much calmer day today, weather wise, and other wise. My wife had to clean house for her neighborhood friend today. She could have put it off until Monday, but wanted to get it behind her.

Since she had to clean, I offered to go and get take out. We decided on Chinese because it's one of her favorites and we hadn't had it in awhile.

I had boneless Chinese Ribs and Pork Fried Rice

She had Beef and Broccoli and Fried Chicken Wings

She finished another furniture piece yesterday. An antique icebox, circa 1850 - 1890, brand White Clad, made in St. Louis by Simmons Hardware, that has been re-purposed as a TV stand. Notice the extra rectangular piece on the top she added that rotates like a Lazy Susan so you can rotate your TV. She took the top door off for easy access to your wifi or cable control unit, and cut a hole in the back for wiring access. Beautiful, ingenious piece.

Hope y'all had a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 29th, 2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old July 29th, 2022, 02:46 PM

Well, things are getting close to home for me. Next week I have to bury my college room mate. He bought a lot from me several years ago, I thought it was because he raced Porches at road Atlanta.

Turns out COPD
Jim - I am so sorry for your loss of your friend! My prayers go out to his family, you, and his other friends.
Old July 30th, 2022, 03:52 AM

Good morning guys,

On tap for today, mowing in the morning, and car cruise-in in the late afternoon/evening. Not many updates on my BIL yesterday throughout the day other than he's doing OK.

My wife talked briefly to her Dad about the death of his wife. As expected, he's having a rough time right now. She asked him if he would like for her to come up there right now for a few days and he told her no. We're both worried about him. His wife had traditionally done most of the domestic duties. I know his kids would like for him to move back here at some point, he has no family up there other than his in-laws.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 30th, 2022 at 03:54 AM.
Old July 30th, 2022, 04:16 AM

--Chris so sorry about Dawn's step mom. That does seem odd why Dad didn't tell his family, well we all deal with things differently. Also sure sounds scary with brother. I was going to say when I first started reading- "Oh it will be okay" and say something about my kidney surgery that went so well, but when you mentioned heart trouble- now that is serious- Hope all goes well....
-- Jim sorry about the loss of your friend. Yes we are right there age wise- yep... sux....
Old July 30th, 2022, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
--Chris so sorry about Dawn's step mom. That does seem odd why Dad didn't tell his family, well we all deal with things differently. Also sure sounds scary with brother. I was going to say when I first started reading- "Oh it will be okay" and say something about my kidney surgery that went so well, but when you mentioned heart trouble- now that is serious- Hope all goes well....
-- Jim sorry about the loss of your friend. Yes we are right there age wise- yep... sux....
Greg - Thanks for your condolences on Dawn's step-mom, we appreciate you thinking about us. Yes, her Dad is a bit of an odd duck, but has always been very nice to me. Personally, I think he just comes from a generation of men that are used to pushing down their emotions, "not wanting to worry the kids". Not much we can do right now except keep reaching out to him to make sure he's alright, or as much as he can be at this point.
Old July 30th, 2022, 06:05 AM
Running On Empty

F250 diesel tractor fan shroud, fan shroud inner diffuser, fan, 177A alternator, belt tensioner, two tensioner pulleys, accumulator, AC compressor & orifice removed this past week (including labyrinth of wire looms, RH battery both + & - terminal cables removed).

New accumulator & new orifice installed. AC compressor installed & getting final bolts secured at the moment. I’m a greased pig sweltering in 85F temps with 85% humidity. Supposed to rain today/tomorrow. Was hoping to put it all back together this weekend - may not happen. Truck is outdoors on driveway from towing, couldn’t get inside man-cave ground was too wet. Going to borrow manifold gauge set from O’Reileys next week to evacuate & charge system.
Old July 30th, 2022, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Truck is outdoors on driveway from towing, couldn’t get inside man-cave ground was too wet. Going to borrow manifold gauge set from O’Reileys next week to evacuate & charge system.
Norm - That really sucks you couldn't get it into the man-cave where you at least would have shade! Gotta be tough going in those conditions, I feel for ya pardner. Good luck with the rest of the repair!
Old July 30th, 2022, 06:46 AM
Running On Empty

AC Compressor installed & each of three bolts torqued to exactly 45.67875 lb-ft with my scientifically calibrated human knuckle/wrist/elbow/shoulder torque wrench +/- 0.0005 lb-ft.
Old July 30th, 2022, 09:44 AM

Chris, Beautiful work by your bride as usual

Norm, I've found if you take a wood rasp to your knuckles and then stick your hands in a bucket of kerosine. He helps ya get in shape
Old July 30th, 2022, 10:19 AM

Chris, Beautiful work by your bride as usual
Jim - Thanks, I'll definitely let her know. You guys do a tremendous job of boosting her confidence and she really appreciates your kind words. That piece is one of my favorites. Of course you have to have the right decor for a blue piece like that, but I love that color blue.

Speaking of her finished projects, I just bought one of them! I'm sure you'll remember this antique cedar chest she finished a long time ago. She was going to lower the price, but I told her I'd take it off her hands for what she was asking for it because I always loved it and didn't want it to go bye-bye. I'm going to put it in my workout room and use it to store some of my car and motorcycle "stuff" in.

Old July 30th, 2022, 12:07 PM
Running On Empty

I could both see & hear the tall thunder boomers ~2-3 miles away so I packed up the tools. Installed the new (serpentine) belt tensioner & two new (one grooved, one smooth) independent (serpentine) belt pulleys. Weather permitting next is the routing of this 500 mile long serpentine belt around the crank pulley, AC compressor, belt tensioner (which has two pulleys - one smooth, one grooved), alternator, independent smooth pulley, independent grooved pulley, Power Steering pulley & electro-viscous fan blade clutch pulley - ugh. I might get the fan, diffuser & fan shroud installed tomorrow - not so sure I'll have time to re-install the inner fender well (it's a PITA). None-the-less it's trending in a positive direction. Looks like we missed this round of thunder boomers - just as well, I've had enough fun for the day. More thunder boomers on the way all night tonight.

Currently soaking my knuckles in Kerosene.
Old July 30th, 2022, 12:35 PM

Got woke up this morning to a persistent noise in the attic. Went and got ready for war, BB gun, trap, trashbag, heavy gloves, kneepads, headlamp. Pushed my Monte Carlo back some eight feet to clear the attic access in the garage. Cord broke, that's how long I hadn't been up there. Got up there, frammed my way all the way across the house to where it was. I found some squirrel ***** but couldn't tell where they were coming from. The vents looked ok. I baited a multi catch mouse trap and went out the way I came.

Next I continued on the 350 in the previously mentioned Chevy. Previous I took all hoses off and let it drain along with ATF lines to radiator. Removed top plate, radiator, shroud, and found the best way to continue was to 55 Chevy it and jump in the hole. Plenty of room with no shroud. Pulled the fan, the belts, the alternator, the water pump, the thermostat, and the carb fuel line. Main issue is water pump, but I will do new hoses and a NOS 3 core to replace the funked up 2 core, and a higher thermostat. Will also get an uncut metal line to replace the cut line with plastic fuel filter on the pressure side. I need some new bolts and / or thread chasers, along with that fuel line, so that is it for now.

Last edited by Koda; July 30th, 2022 at 12:42 PM.
Old July 30th, 2022, 01:57 PM

Koda, I love your expression "55 chevy it and jump in the hole"
Old July 30th, 2022, 03:18 PM
Banned

Gone went to an auction,a diesel repair shop closed down due to owner passed.Came home with some Cummins specialty tools including for Paccar.These are going with me to work.A 1980s Snap On toolbox as well for home.One guy there ticked me off,ranted me for my dreadlocks I have had for 20 years now.He was told to leave before the auction started
Old July 30th, 2022, 03:24 PM
Running On Empty

Jaelynn - Where do you work & what do you do?
Old July 30th, 2022, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jaelynn - Where do you work & what do you do?
I work at a heavy equipment repair shop,heavy equipment mechanic.I do work on the shop's semi shop trucks once in a while
Old July 30th, 2022, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Got woke up this morning to a persistent noise in the attic. Went and got ready for war.
Next I continued on the 350 in the previously mentioned Chevy.
John - Good luck getting rid of the critter, and the R&R on the Monte!

Old July 30th, 2022, 08:06 PM

Good evening guys,

Went to that cruise-in I mentioned earlier today. Nice turn-out and the weather was great, overcast and only about 82°. My buddy with the '66 Vette met me there. Very nice evening. You can check out the pics at the following link:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...old-mo-166131/

Enjoying American Graffiti right now, awesome cars and awesome music! We're those actors ever really that young???
Old July 31st, 2022, 03:44 AM

Norm, sounds like good progress on the F250. I didn't know you could rent a/c evac pump and gauges... That sounds like a great way to go. As you have said before easy as it goes- baby steps-.... Good job- carry on. John what is the Cheby? Looks like a 70's.??
Old July 31st, 2022, 04:30 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Thanks, yes - baby steps. You too, good job on the yoke scenario. Even better than renting, they allow you to borrow the gauges. They charge you the price of the manifold gauges at check-out. When you return they refund the entire price. Can't beat that. I hear thunder boomers. I think it's going to be intermittent the entire day. With all the "stuff" (diffuser, fan, fan shroud, RH battery, vacuum reservoir, etc.) removed, routing the serpentine belt should be hopefully a simple procedure - that's next on the list.
Old July 31st, 2022, 04:59 AM
Running On Empty

Y'all are waiting w/ bated breath to see what the serpentine belt routing looks like I bet. Nine pulleys (including the crank shaft). My labels w/ a canned Internet diagram.

Old July 31st, 2022, 06:43 AM

Norm - This is the picture that comes to mind when I think of you installing that serpentine belt! Good luck!

Old July 31st, 2022, 09:00 AM

Good Lord, Norm. That's not elegant.

Greg, the bowtie in question is my grandfather's 72 Monte Carlo which he bought from the dealer. He had it until his demise in 87, then my grandmother owned it and my dad maintained it till 02, then I assumed ownership. It's interesting seeing three guys' handwriting in the logbook over the years.

Quadrajet (Carter License) 350, th350, 2.73 positraction, gauge package, tilt wheel, cruise, AC, power windows, power bench, 3 speaker FM Mono, Ascot Blue, specifically NO vinyl top, the mid-range "Deluxe Wheel Discs" wheels, bumper guards. His modifications included drilling holes for more airflow in the bottom of the air cleaner around the outside, putting Corvette springs and weights in the distributor, disabling the TCS, putting a radiator overflow jug in, and putting in a vented kickpanel on the driver's side from a non-AC vent window car for an additional vent. It's not the most awe-inspiring muscle car, but it really goes down the highways well, and it was a good choice for a 66 year old retired engineer to drive road trips in comfort and some style.

I've put 20,000 miles on it in 20 years, and it's now at @87k. I drove it to college my last few years, drove it to Minnesota to see family, and took it on the Power Tour with my old man in 18. I try to take it on a good road trip once a year when it is running. My plan is to go to the Rt. 66 Festival in late September in Spingfield, IL with it.