The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2023, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I see. Ok, I have another idea. In the spring, drive somewhere open and get the noise to occur, then put it in neutral and kill the engine while rolling at speed. If it's an exhaust noise, it should not be there anymore. If it is a rolling gear noise, it still will be there. I am under the opinion, based on your latest comment, that it is exhaust related. Also, try, when cruising, and slowing down to turn off the road, drop it into second. The engine will rev up and you will engine brake. See if the sound it makes then is a louder version of your problem noise. If so, I think you just have an exhaust artifact in that specific condition.
John - The test you suggested about coasting in neutral and turning the engine off to see if the noise continues or stops is brilliant! Same with the engine brake test! By "exhaust artifact" I am assuming you mean a noise made by a variance in the exhaust gases as they move through the system, either the tailpipes or the mufflers, is this correct? If so, that is kind of what I thought it was to begin with, I thought it was probably a loose baffle in one of the mufflers. It would not make the noise under pressure (acceleration), but upon deceleration creating no pressure, or back pressure, you'd hear the noise again. However, I began to question that theory when I could not get either muffler to rattle at all by banging on it with my hand or rubber mallet.
Old February 7th, 2023, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
So, I'm guessing if you have the OEM style control arms without zerts, your only option is to pull the bolts, grease them up, and reinsert them?
OEM rubber bushings do not need to be greased. Control arms with grease Zerks typically have polyurethane bushings and use silicone grease to prevent them from squeaking.

The rubber on OEM control arms is fused to both the inner and outer sleeves. The inner sleeve is pinched between the frame mounting flanges, and as such it is held immobile. The rubber allows only a limited amount or rotation, which is why the bushings need to be torqued while at ride height. Aftermarket poly bushings are not fused to the sleeves, and as such they can move through a larger arc of rotation. They also can squeak due to the poly material, which is why silicone grease is used during installation and periodically through the Zerks.

Last edited by Fun71; February 7th, 2023 at 01:10 PM.
Old February 7th, 2023, 01:10 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - As you recall my initial postulate (which I validated when asking you) related to a muffler noise during deceleration & you agreed (in general at any rate). Lots of good suggestions (including turning up the radio), but I wanted to address your last statement which you made also some time ago.
I began to question that theory when I could not get either muffler to rattle at all by banging on it with my hand or rubber mallet.
That notion/theory/idea is fine but difficult to evaluate because it's difficult to address the exact same road/driving/heat conditions by banging with your hand and/or rubber mallet on a muffler which is not running under pressure (or lack of) and most likely the same amount of heat on muffler(s) at driving speeds. All good thoughts/suggestions/ideas. Time for a trade-in?
Old February 7th, 2023, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
OEM rubber bushings do not need to be greased. Control arms with grease Zerks typically have polyurethane bushings and use silicone grease to prevent them from squeaking.

The rubber on OEM control arms is fused to both the inner and outer sleeves. The inner sleeve is pinched between the frame mounting flanges, and as such it is held immobile. The rubber allows only a limited amount or rotation, which is why the bushings need to be torqued while at ride height. Aftermarket poly bushings are not fused to the sleeves, and as such they can move through a larger arc of rotation. They also can squeak due to the poly material, which is why silicone grease is used during installation and periodically through the Zerks.
Kenneth - Thanks for the tutorial on that, much appreciated. I was up under there again today to check if my pinhole patch repair set-up nice and hard, and it had. While under there with a flashlight I made a point of checking all the bushings on all the OEM rear control arms and they were exactly as you describe above. No evidence there has ever been any grease up in there, and while not looking like they are new, the bushings all look intact (no chips coming off) and no significant evidence of cracking or other deterioration.
Old February 7th, 2023, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - As you recall my initial postulate (which I validated when asking you) related to a muffler noise during deceleration & you agreed (in general at any rate). Lots of good suggestions (including turning up the radio), but I wanted to address your last statement which you made also some time ago.

That notion/theory/idea is fine but difficult to evaluate because it's difficult to address the exact same road/driving/heat conditions by banging with your hand and/or rubber mallet on a muffler which is not running under pressure (or lack of) and most likely the same amount of heat on muffler(s) at driving speeds. All good thoughts/suggestions/ideas. Time for a trade-in?
Norm - Agree 100% with everything you mentioned above, with the exception of the "Time for a trade-in?" comment. At this point, I honestly don't think I'm going to find the culprit until I can get her back on the road to perform some of these other tests guys have suggested. Plus, I'll go through these other tests with one of my more knowledgeable car buddies with me, which I think will help alot. Thanks for all your contributions trying to help me with the source of the noise!
Old February 7th, 2023, 02:33 PM
Jeff

Man, as I sit here at my desk, drowning under "paper"work, I envy you retired bastards (no offense intended, this is me being funny) that have time to crawl around under cars, do home maintenance, or whatever else you want (or need) to do. Unfortunately for me, I was not one of the $1M winners in MI for the latest lottery draw.

Old February 7th, 2023, 02:47 PM

It could also be that, and what I mean by artifact, is it could be just a noise that happens. Not every unidentified noise is indicative of a problem.
Old February 7th, 2023, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Man, as I sit here at my desk, drowning under "paper"work, I envy you retired bastards (no offense intended, this is me being funny) that have time to crawl around under cars, do home maintenance, or whatever else you want (or need) to do. Unfortunately for me, I was not one of the $1M winners in MI for the latest lottery draw.
Jeff - Hang in there buddy, you'll get there! Retirement is certainly a joy, but can also have it's own unique set of issues. One that keeps me up sometimes is wondering if we'll outlive our savings, especially with the medical bills and rate of inflation we've experienced over the past year and a half.
Old February 7th, 2023, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by koda
it could also be that, and what i mean by artifact, is it could be just a noise that happens. Not every unidentified noise is indicative of a problem.
Old February 7th, 2023, 03:42 PM
Always room for one more

I think we signed over 100 wheels today, so not a bad day, considering the retriever was broke all day. I'll bet Brandon is beat. Some of the tires are bigger than he is.

Chris does it make the noise when you floor it and the back wheels are smoking and spinning? Better try that test a couple times.

So I need to move the Mercedes. That car hasn't been looked at in months. Of course it was dead. Tried jumper cables and nada. Is there a way to de-resistance jumper cables? They are older than I am. I think I'm going to donate that car. I knew better than to buy it and I did anyway. I think I've driven it a total of 4 times, bought new tires for it, and then decided I hated it and left it set. Not the brightest thing to do. But I'm over it and just want it gone. By the way, when painter's tape says to take it off before 30 days, believe it.

Hump Day tomorrow. Wouldn't mind it.

Old February 7th, 2023, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
It could also be that, and what I mean by artifact, is it could be just a noise that happens. Not every unidentified noise is indicative of a problem.
John - Gotcha, that makes sense. The part that is concerning to me is that the noise wasn't there before, and I'm hoping it isn't an initial sign of some significant part/system failing down the road. Other than the noise, the car still runs great, and like I've said the noise is not very noticeable and I could live with it as long as it isn't leading to some major failure down the road.
Old February 7th, 2023, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris does it make the noise when you floor it and the back wheels are smoking and spinning? Better try that test a couple times.
Finally, someone's suggested a fun test that I can get on-board with!

Old February 7th, 2023, 04:38 PM

Sorry to hear about your Vet Chris. Boy, I can understand what you mentioned about the BIL. Yep things get complicated.
Old February 7th, 2023, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Sorry to hear about your Vet Chris. Boy, I can understand what you mentioned about the BIL. Yep things get complicated.
Thanks Greg, we are deeply saddened by the sudden loss of our Vet. She was a great Vet, and an even more wonderful person. I already had a discussion with Dawn about the luncheon for her brother. I carefully asked her to please never organize something like that for me if I ever get really sick and explained why. She said she never really thought about it that way, but understood how I, or possibly he, could feel that way. Yep, things certainly can get complicated!
Old February 8th, 2023, 04:11 AM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I think I agree w/ you - it isn't the first time someone has informed me of the exact same thing. I'm unclear why their point has never sunk in w/ me.

Tee-time 8:16am. Mild winds 4pmh - 7mph, low 70°F.
Old February 8th, 2023, 05:52 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Slow morning. No one is in a hurry and it doesn't look like there is a dedicated tire fetcher. Apparently Brandon was pissed that he was the only one yesterday and stayed home today.

Was a beautiful day yesterday and is supposed to be again today. Rain tonight and tomorrow. I'm moving to the desert.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Old February 8th, 2023, 06:09 AM

So Saturday before last I went to a cousin funeral in LaGrange, Last Saturday I went to my golf buddy's. So Headed norte. Mr no show funeral director get to wait on me now
Old February 8th, 2023, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
So Saturday before last I went to a cousin funeral in LaGrange, Last Saturday I went to my golf buddy's. So Headed norte. Mr no show funeral director get to wait on me now
Jim - Safe travels and enjoy your time at the lake!
Old February 8th, 2023, 10:55 AM
Running On Empty

Jeff - You forgot to mention having time to play golf. I'll never be a winner in any lottery because I never purchase a lottery ticket.
Old February 8th, 2023, 10:58 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Your 'no-shows' are beginning to illustrate an example of the meaning to be late for your own funeral.
Old February 8th, 2023, 11:16 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jeff - You forgot to mention having time to play golf. I'll never be a winner in any lottery because I never purchase a lottery ticket.
Yeah, I have my own set of clubs, but only have been on 3 courses, all within a weekend of a golf trip a few years ago. We have one of those Top Golf facilities just across the expressway here at work (Auburn Hills, MI). I did a league there a few years ago, with zero previous experience, and decided it was something I'd like to pick up.
Old February 8th, 2023, 11:23 AM
Running On Empty

Yeah, I have my own set of clubs, but only have been on 3 courses, all within a weekend of a golf trip a few years ago. We have one of those Top Golf facilities just across the expressway here at work (Auburn Hills, MI). I did a league there a few years ago, with zero previous experience, and decided it was something I'd like to pick up.
First time I've ever heard of 'Top Golf'. I checked out the one in Auburn Hills (website). Whoah - fancy, holy smokes.
Old February 8th, 2023, 11:51 AM

Well traffic on the way to work this morning was terrible. I think it was due to that golf thing up in Scottsdale, and it's prolly gonna get worse as there's some sort of football thing with a lot of activities this week and weekend. I am sooooo glad I live on the opposite side of town from all of that.
Old February 8th, 2023, 03:03 PM

Oh Man, I got my wheels painted- what a fiasco. Everything that could go bad did... That's enuff for me with auto painting. Trying a new hobby at 66 is too much ( auto body) , I am going to farm out painting from now on. I'm gonna put some pics on my thread under painting.
Old February 8th, 2023, 03:37 PM
Always room for one more

Slow all day. I left at noon to meet my trucker man. I don't remember if I mentioned an Imperial in Virginia a little while ago. I sent the guy the money and hired a trucking outfit to drag it down here. So it's here and I love it. I'll work on a picture.

Greg some years ago Sandy wanted to paint the wheels on her car. She took them to a body shop and agonized over which shade of green she needed. The car was painted previously with a non-Olds color that was still pretty close. I seem to remember the wheels came out a near match and she was rather happy. I'm usually happy with a rattle can.

Jeff, since you work in Auburn Hills, do you ever go past the Chrysler complex? Is the museum building still there? I know they did away with the museum cars and whatnot. What a shame, beautiful collection.

Old February 8th, 2023, 03:42 PM

Oh Man, I got my wheels painted- what a fiasco. Everything that could go bad did... That's enuff for me with auto painting. Trying a new hobby at 66 is too much ( auto body) , I am going to farm out painting from now on. I'm gonna put some pics on my thread under painting.
Sorry to hear that. I am kinda surprised as I didn't have issues using rattle can primer and a Preval sprayer with the acrylic enamel paint.
Old February 8th, 2023, 04:02 PM

Greg - I'm sorry to hear that too!
Old February 8th, 2023, 04:07 PM

Slow all day. I left at noon to meet my trucker man. I don't remember if I mentioned an Imperial in Virginia a little while ago. I sent the guy the money and hired a trucking outfit to drag it down here. So it's here and I love it. I'll work on a picture.
Mike - Glad it got there safely and that you love it! If you can, give us several pics, exterior, interior, engine bay, please?
Old February 9th, 2023, 01:51 AM

Mike, is it the executive model with the passage Seat flips around with the fold down table on the B pillar and the tiny lamp?

I need to go for a ride.
Old February 9th, 2023, 02:33 AM

Mike, i heard that they re opened the museum @ Chrysler. Maybe in a new location? Article from 2018:https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/21/...RpGMc8Dk-1PXF9

Last edited by 1969w3155; February 9th, 2023 at 02:35 AM.
Old February 9th, 2023, 06:26 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Retriever still broke, everyone still slow. The lead is here today(he wasn't yesterday) but he has yet to squawk about it. That's okay, I got lots of internet looking to do.

[Bad attempt at posting a picture]

Jamesbo the Executive Director Imperial was only in 67. But this car does have the little foot cushions on the floor in the back seat. Like a Rolls Royce.

Dan I hadn't heard the museum was opening again. That's cool that it's in the Viper factory. If I'm ever up there again I'll check it out. I really liked the other museum.

Gotta take Mom to the doctor after work. Then clean house some more for the arrival of my sister and company. Fun times. Supposed to rain today but so far nada.

Have a good day everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; February 9th, 2023 at 06:51 AM.
Old February 9th, 2023, 06:32 AM
Running On Empty

I apologize in advance if this picture turns out huge. This is just after it got unloaded from the carrier. Hubcaps are in the trunk. The interior is just gorgeous.
Looks like you wanted to post an attachment? In any case attachment or URL link needs to have the actual image (e.g. .jpg, .jpeg, .png, etc.) - your attachment doesn't have a correctly formed attachment, link, etc. (i.e. no image file identified).
Old February 9th, 2023, 06:40 AM
Always room for one more

Does that mean you can't see it? I can see it just fine. Maybe because this is the computer I did it on. I just did the right click thing on the picture in my email.

Old February 9th, 2023, 06:42 AM
Running On Empty

Does that mean you can't see it? I can see it just fine. Maybe because this is the computer I did it on. I just did the right click thing on the picture in my email.
Correct. Cannot view the image.
Old February 9th, 2023, 06:52 AM
Always room for one more

Okay Norm, fixed it.

Old February 9th, 2023, 06:55 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - I see you edited your original post (removed the malformed URL link) but now I see no image nor any correctly formed URL link - nothing.
Old February 9th, 2023, 06:56 AM
Always room for one more

There isn't any. I fixed it by removing the whole deal. I don't have the time or the desire to muck around with it to get it right, so off it goes.

Old February 9th, 2023, 06:57 AM
Running On Empty

How To Post Pictures/Images
Old February 9th, 2023, 07:11 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - You could send me the image(s) & I can post it/them for you (if you like).

normg@normg.com
or
vintagechief@beaufort-by-the-sea.com
Old February 9th, 2023, 07:37 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks Norm