The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2023, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Update... I found someone that can plow my road... Thread down below with explanation, I'm a happy camper now....Tedd
Tedd - That's great, relief in sight! Are you going to wait until the next batch goes through or have it done now?
Old March 2nd, 2023, 02:28 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Regular cooked beets - delicious. Lemon bird in the air broiler sounds yummy. I made fresh whipped cream + blueberries over short cakes for dessert.
Old March 2nd, 2023, 02:42 PM

Hi guys,

Reviewing medical claims and paying bills most of the morning. Ugh!

Thanks to great help from John (Koda), I was able to determine both of the Q-jets I received from the Seller when I bought my car are at least "period correct" '67 4-4-2 carbs. In the future I may decide to have one of them rebuilt and refurbished in case I want to go back towards OEM correct. I currently have an Edelbrock 2151 Performer Intake and an 800cfm Holley Street Demon Carb on it. I also have the original intake manifold and exhaust manifolds I got with the sale.

Overcast and cooler today, but still got close to 60°. Heavy rain and storms later tonight through tomorrow, Monty will not like that. I'm seeing a forecast for sunny and 75° this coming Wednesday. If that comes to fruition I'm gonna get out to the garage and finish up my Spring car prep, the new car season is just around the corner now, with some events in early April!

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old March 2nd, 2023, 03:18 PM
Always room for one more

Rain off and on this afternoon. It's going to be chilly this weekend, in the 40s. If the rain goes away I won't mind.

Pool noodles for operant conditioning Norm? I know a different way.

Tedd you don't have a plow for your Range Rover? Eh, that's a lot of work. Plowing is easier when someone else does it.

My grandmother used to pickle beets. I never gained a taste for them. You want another fun fact for the week? Back in the day beet juice was used to make the red color in red velvet cake.

Early tomorrow because it's Friday. Can't wait for the next two weeks, going in early every day. I get my new vacation on Saturday, I might have to invoke some of it.

Old March 2nd, 2023, 03:51 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
You want another fun fact for the week? Back in the day beet juice was used to make the red color in red velvet cake.
Use of red beet juice became popular among bakers during WWII when sugar & butter were rationed. However, the original so-called Red Velvet Cake was red as the result of adding cocoa to the butter, buttermilk & flour (which turned the velvet cake red). Butter & buttermilk (containing acid) renders the velvet cake red in color. Cocoa powder contains the antioxidant anthocyanin which is pH-sensitive - when mixed w/ an acid the resultant color is rendered anywhere from red>purple>blue or black.
Old March 2nd, 2023, 04:32 PM

Great dinner, like I mentioned earlier Broasted Lemon Chicken for dinner. I thought we were having Broccoli and cheddar rice as a side dish but I was wrong. Plain rice pilaf instead but it was still good, and I had my pickled beets. I'm lucky my gal is such a great cook!

Old March 2nd, 2023, 05:32 PM

What is "broasted"? Is that like a skateboarder who is stoned?
Old March 2nd, 2023, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
What is "broasted"? Is that like a skateboarder who is stoned?
Ya, just like that!
Old March 3rd, 2023, 12:57 AM
Always room for one more

Happy 4 freakin' oclock everyone.

Most times when I get up this early Tiger hasn't wanted to go out, so I get a full 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep, instead of seven hours where I wake up in the middle of it.

Norm I'm sticking to my story.

I see only grief and sadness coming out of our next two weeks. I will try to remain positive. I will not get caught up in the drama. I'll try not to anyway it has a habit of sneaking in.

Okay let the fun begin. Have a good day everyone. When you wake up.

Old March 3rd, 2023, 02:30 AM

--Good Morning Mike. Try to remember that these are the good ole days. In 10 years you will think so, just try to remember that. I remember back when I was working I told 2 different younger fellas that. Believe it or not I have heard back from them that was a big thing they remember about me. The other day one of them called me out of the blue because he was reminded of me after he heard "These are the Good Old Days" by Carly Simon.- funny.....
--Well I need another hobby- something to keep myself busy. I went to see my hospice guy yesterday but that is all I did. The day before I never even left the house. This is not good for a 66 year old. I never really liked wood work or stuff like Dawn (Chris's wife) does, but I love mechanical things, Maybe I should buy and repair and resell lawn mowers or quads or something. Or I even have thought of getting a part time job at TSC or something, I think I would enjoy talking to people...
Old March 3rd, 2023, 05:31 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
--Good Morning Mike. Try to remember that these are the good ole days. In 10 years you will think so, just try to remember that. I remember back when I was working I told 2 different younger fellas that. Believe it or not I have heard back from them that was a big thing they remember about me. The other day one of them called me out of the blue because he was reminded of me after he heard "These are the Good Old Days" by Carly Simon.- funny.....
--Well I need another hobby- something to keep myself busy. I went to see my hospice guy yesterday but that is all I did. The day before I never even left the house. This is not good for a 66 year old. I never really liked wood work or stuff like Dawn (Chris's wife) does, but I love mechanical things, Maybe I should buy and repair and resell lawn mowers or quads or something. Or I even have thought of getting a part time job at TSC or something, I think I would enjoy talking to people...
Greg, my Dad got into finding old lawn tractors with the cast iron Kohler's on them. He'd get them running, then do a restore. He did two or three over the last couple of years before he passed. Wish I had bought one of them from him. He wound up selling them for close to a grand, though, so they were a bit out of my price range.
Old March 3rd, 2023, 06:27 AM

We had another storm blow through yesterday. Got a bit more snow, not just up the hill but all over this time. A couple inches fell in the north part of Scottsdale and Cave Creek areas, and I can see snow on Four Peaks from my Balcony.

Below is just what fell from this storm front and not the total accumulation.

Old March 3rd, 2023, 06:41 AM

Heading Norte
Old March 3rd, 2023, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
We had another storm blow through yesterday.

Wow, Snowbowl is appropriately named! When you think of AZ you just don't picture those kinds of snowfall totals!
Old March 3rd, 2023, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Heading Norte
Jim - Safe travels, hope you have a great weekend!
Old March 3rd, 2023, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Ya, just like that!
Pressure fryer, the internet says.
Old March 3rd, 2023, 07:43 AM

Pressure fryer, the internet says.
Seriously, I guess "broasted" is a combo of broiled with an open element for browning, and roasted in an enclosed container for the steaming effect. In the case of the chicken I posted the pic of, it was cooked in my wife's latest toy, a larger Air Fryer that includes a rotisserie function. The thing works great and cooks quickly.

Old March 3rd, 2023, 07:49 AM

Sexy.
Old March 3rd, 2023, 08:01 AM

Full day to do stuff. Headed, to town in the Durango on my new clean driveway. I now have 7 foot sides so I can't get lost on the way to the main road. The talk on the news is that we will get hit with another storm as big as the last one this weekend, I hope not! Durango gets to go to the shop for a electrical fix and I'll pick up the farm F150 and get some wool for the next round of snow ,then check on the Money Pit and see if paint touch up is finished. Last but not least to Walmart and get my drugs refills that have been there for a week and some supplies for next week. Somewhere in the middle of all that I might take the Old Man to lunch. Don't need any more snow.... Tedd
Old March 3rd, 2023, 08:48 AM

Sexy.
Nah, gotta have wheels and tires to be Sexy!
Old March 3rd, 2023, 11:07 AM

Good afternoon guys,
Wow, where did the morning go! My new Carter mechanical fuel pump for the 4-4-2 came today. A spare that I hope I do not need anytime soon! Some members on here were commenting they were getting hard to find so I figured I should pick one up while I still could.

Dogs both got baths last night. They both tolerate it pretty well once you get them in the bathtub. Not much of a big deal for me, I'm just the muscle that gets them into and out of the tub. Dawn does the bathing.

Cool and heavy rain all morning and projected throughout the day. Local flood warnings in effect. I am sure the back road out of our place is flooded, it always does when it rains this hard for this long.

No big plans for the weekend. Going to try and get the wife to watch the movie "Devotion" about the first Black Navy Pilot during the Korean conflict. It looks really good.
Hope you all have a great weekend!
Old March 3rd, 2023, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Wow, Snowbowl is appropriately named! When you think of AZ you just don't picture those kinds of snowfall totals!
Those are in the high country, as in above 5,000 feet. Denver makes all kinds of noise about being "the mile high city" and that is 2,000 feet lower than Flagstaff. Snow Bowl starts at 9,000 feet and goes up to 12,000 feet and Mount Humphreys is at 14,000 feet. Most of northern Arizona is above 4000 feet, with mountains on top of that, so there's a lot of snowfall up there.
Old March 3rd, 2023, 12:25 PM

Most of northern Arizona is above 4000 feet, with mountains on top of that, so there's a lot of snowfall up there.
Ya, I knew the northern 1/3 was much different because of the elevation and regularly got snow, I just didn't realize portions got that much!
Old March 3rd, 2023, 12:44 PM

Chris, whats with the wad of bills under one of the doors for the air fryer? Had a co worker up and quit last night on second shift, she had been there for at least 20 years. A mold inspector/x-ray tech. I worked with her for most of the time that I was on second, ten years approximately. She just got fed up, and I don't blame her. Her position was non exempt-salaried. She stopped in to clean out her locker, so I managed to give her a hug and a good bye.Things are just going downhill since the purchase of us by the investment firm in 2017. Her husband is still there, so I talked him for a bit, both of them are good people. Well, Jeff maybe you'll get some snow this pm, but it's going south of me. We might get an inch. All of the hoopla for naught. My buddies son lives in your neck of the woods (Grand Blanc) he will be thrilled.
Old March 3rd, 2023, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, whats with the wad of bills under one of the doors for the air fryer?
Dan - Good eye for detail! Well, I'll tell you what that is, a major FUBAR on my part, sure didn't intend to get those in the picture! Actually that is some of my wife's recent income from her furniture business, she's sold quite a few pieces recently and was paid in cash. Please don't let her know I put a picture of her stash on here!
Old March 3rd, 2023, 01:28 PM

Please don't let her know I put a picture of her stash on here!
Don't worry, I won't. By the way, what's her email address!!​​​​​​​
Old March 3rd, 2023, 02:49 PM
Running On Empty

Those are in the high country, as in above 5,000 feet. Denver makes all kinds of noise about being "the mile high city" and that is 2,000 feet lower than Flagstaff. Snow Bowl starts at 9,000 feet and goes up to 12,000 feet and Mount Humphreys is at 14,000 feet. Most of northern Arizona is above 4000 feet, with mountains on top of that, so there's a lot of snowfall up there.
I've been to Flagstaff several times. I've hiked the trail to Mt. Humphreys during the summer. Very pretty and a wonderful hike.
Old March 3rd, 2023, 02:59 PM
Running On Empty

Commercial/Restaurant broasters have been around for quite some time. They make delicious fried chicken, quail, pheasant, partidge, etc. I'm pretty certain Bojangles uses a broaster. You can cook a large number of birds rather quickly and very efficiently in a broaster.
Old March 3rd, 2023, 07:05 PM
Running On Empty

Some modestly noteworthy news. Most know or have heard of R.S.V. (Respiratory Syncytial Virus). FDA will most likely approve a new RSV vaccine sometime in late April or May 2023. While it is a leading serious illness in infants, it's also a significant serious illness of the elderly 65+ yrs of age.

Murdaugh will spend the remainder of his life in a prison.
Old March 3rd, 2023, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Some modestly noteworthy news.
And . . . Tom Sizemore passed away today at 61 from a brain aneurysm he suffered a few weeks ago. Damn good actor, "Saving Private Ryan", "Black Hawk Down", "Heat" and many others!
Old March 3rd, 2023, 08:05 PM
Running On Empty

Sizemore was a rather nasty bugger he was....ill tempered, addict and abusive.
Old March 3rd, 2023, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Sizemore was a rather nasty bugger he was....ill tempered, addict and abusive.
Agree, he didn't score high on the good conduct scale, but I still enjoyed the roles he played in many movies I liked.
Old March 4th, 2023, 08:14 AM

I read something so naturally I had to try it. Scramble eggs with balsam vinegar.
Old March 4th, 2023, 08:20 AM
Running On Empty

Residing among the wasps, mud daubers & carpenter bees working from the scaffolding. Haven't encountered any hornets or yellowjackets, yet. Normal routine...up/down, up/down, up/down...caulking at the moment.

It appears this unseasonably warm weather is going to continue unabated for the remainder of March - although, it is the 'Ides Of March' so anything is possible. None-the-less, I have already seen several of my South-facing Azaleas begin to bloom. They're nearly one full month ahead of their normal yearly blooming time. The North Carolina Azalea Festival - Apr 12, 2023 to Apr 16, 2023 - Wilmington, NC may not have any blooming Azaleas if this continues. And, if it does continue, I can't imagine Augusta, Georgia is much different. Thu, Apr 6, 2023 – Sun, Apr 9, 2023 is The Masters Golf Tournament which is normally just gorgeous with tens of thousands of blooming Azaleas. Not certain exactly which varieties they have (there are some species of full summer blooming Azaleas). Should be interesting.
Old March 4th, 2023, 08:22 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I read something so naturally I had to try it. Scramble eggs with balsam vinegar.
Hell yes, Jim. Sounds delicious especially since I haven't eaten yet today. I love scrambled eggs with balsamic vinegar. I love balsamic vinegar in general.
Old March 4th, 2023, 08:36 AM
Running On Empty

What you'd normally expect to see @ The Masters Golf Tournament. Damn it my housemate had to stick her picture in the mix...

Old March 4th, 2023, 09:17 AM

We had a sizeable weather front come through yesterday with very low pressure, hellacious wind, some tornadoes, and multiple inches of rain. We had a tornado drill on Wed, and the real thing at the plant on Friday. One thinks that someone was thinking when scheduling the drill ahead of tornado season.

My house and property are fine with some yard debris. I live some 18 miles south of the Toyota plant. I knew there were lights out on my main road home on the far end of my trip, but I saw a crash as I passed over the highway at the start, so I took the back roads home. It was uneventful until, as I had feared, the ditch on the back road was over the road. I reversed course, and remembering that the highway had the lights out, went to a parallel road. THIS road, once I got to its ditch (same waterway) was closed, but the pavement was just appearing, so I drove through. Once I got to the next cross road, my current road was closed, so I cut back to the first road (the one blocked by the overflowing ditch) and came home on that road. Combination of flooding, downed trees, and power outages. My house lost power, it seems, for a short time. There apparently was a tornado down some ten miles to the north. Kurt Karch, another local Olds guy, has a couple trees down.

Today I shall work on the next issue of Thunder & Lightning.
Old March 4th, 2023, 09:36 AM
Running On Empty

Circuitous comes to mind.
Old March 4th, 2023, 11:13 AM
Running On Empty

Late breakfast (inspired by Jim)...balsamic vinegar scrambled eggs. I made these yesterday, walnut fudge brownies...might as well eat 'em.

Old March 4th, 2023, 12:08 PM

John - Glad you and your property made it through OK! Went out to get take out yesterday evening and the back way out (closest way for where I was going) was flooded, deep, and fast. Turned around and headed out the main road, partially flooded but only across one lane and I got out. Only added a few extra minutes to my trip, nothing like the cluster you went through!

Norm - The brownie looks delicious!