The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2019, 07:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning all,

Yesterday I think I drank 3 cups of coffee. Didn't sleep worth crap last night; maybe 3 hours? I feel so tired this morning so I doubt I'll be doing much of anything.

One of the window contractors was here yesterday. I can't believe their prices for windows; it's like they want every order to pay for their cars or vacations. Buddy said if I take the siding down from around the outside windows so the nailing strips are exposed that would save me around $2000.00 Seriously??? Other than feeling like I was being bent over, we'll see how the rest of the window companies fare. One is coming next Tuesday. They apparently use a mix of Argon and Krypton between the panes of their triple pane units. I guess that's to keep Superman out and Supergirl in?? As long as I don't need Lex Luther to rob a few banks to pay for everything......

Jouni - You sure you have build sheets? It wasn't uncommon for a car to have multiple broadcast cards left in from the Body Works plant at Arlington. How the build sheet was handled was a function of each final assembly line. Do you also have the original window sticker?

Jim - Whuts the straw fer? You gettin horses or cows??

Adrian - Mate, you wouldn't want to visit BC now. Their gas just went to 160.9/L and analysts are saying it's going to stay that way till well into the fall. Kinda puts a bit of a damper on traveling to BC this year.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 07:55 AM

Azalea beds
Old April 3rd, 2019, 07:56 AM

Aint this an buildsheet? Or am i on wrong track Actually i quickly found only 4 of these, i think i should have 5th somewhere, or maybe not One i found behind passengers door-panel, another between fuel tank and chassis, and rest came with the documentations i received when i bought the car. Sorry for crappy photo by phone.

Last edited by Inline; April 3rd, 2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 07:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Perfect for the deer and antelope to graze in. Buy a guard cow.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 08:02 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow, you have 5 of those Jouni?? That's pretty incredible. Obviously they did things a lot different at Arlington. Not the way the early 70's ran though. Pretty cool to have that as provenance to prove your car is an authentic 442. 2.41:1 rear axle is a real slug though, this must have been ordered for highway use. Interesting to note the car was a Customer Order.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 08:15 AM

For once i have something rare Or maybe the ways had just changed at 76'. If you want i can try to get a better, full picture with actual camera.
But yea, definitetly atleast 4, and should have 5th somewhere, or my mind is playing tricks with me. How do you know it was customer order OOPS its written there Is it something special/rare then that its customer order

Anyways, evening for all. Wife just came from shop with our boy, so ill head to light the sauna.
Today i started my BBQ season, did some delicious chicken. Tomorrow chicken too, with some additions Already did enough Wood to sit at sauna properly today.
Fixed wifes bike, killed time and so on.

Allan R - Wow, 2000$ for that Sounds like their trying to complete legitimized robbery or something

As theres so many guys showing and telling about their cookings, how about sharing few good BBQ recipes for this summer to test out? Im drooling after some good, long grilled pork ribs with sauce…… Drooool…...

Okay, ill head to light the sauna.

Last edited by Inline; April 3rd, 2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 08:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok, I can delete the image I was going to post. You caught the printing. Is a customer order special or rare? No. Special would imply there are options on the car that weren't available through the regular RPO's of the model year and that's not the case. Rare? No again. Although the majority of customers would simply buy a car that was dealer ordered off the lot, a fair number of discerning buyers would order their own cars by sitting with a salesman and checking the options, colors, etc they wanted on and in their car. 1976 the 442 was only offered on the Cutlass S model. Tons of Cutlass S produced in 1976 but how many of them were 442s is not documented. There were only 143 1976 cars produced that year with the L74 455 and W29 package though. Those are very very rare and the estimate is less than 13 survive today.

Last edited by Allan R; April 4th, 2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 08:40 AM

Thanks for short history lesson. I havent ever paid too much attention to my build-sheet, or others, so im pretty green about what everything means on that paper.

I can tell that 2:41 rear with, admittetly worn, low-comp 350 was real dog. I couldnt even get it to burn rubber, nor did it go over 110mph, motor was all done. Now it has 3.23 with truetrac.

About rare cars, we have here in Finland supposedly original 69' 442 Vert. Id love to see proofs of it. When i googled about, it turned out that if its genuine, it definitetly would be rare. Minus it blew original 400G which had just been replaced with 455, and its missing all OAI parts. Asking is about 55000$. I personally dont think its THAT rare with those missing parts, even if there is legit documentations. Thoughts?

Last edited by Inline; April 3rd, 2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 08:58 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Lunchtime. We get an hour today, we must be caught up.

Planned on overtime this morning, but when the alarm on the phone went off, I picked up the phone, shut off the alarm, and promptly went back to sleep. I didn't do that on purpose. Tiger never budged.

So the plan this afternoon is to start on the fence at the shop. I might only get one post put up but hey it's something. I got the hole digger the other day. After work I'm gonna get some Quikcrete and some posts. I figure a little at a time it will get done eventually.

It's taken me an hour to do this, because the guy across the desk from me has been yammering the whole time. He's okay, at least it isn't Irritating man. Listening to him for an hour I'd want to cut my throat.

Okay back to work. See ya's all later.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Perfect for the deer and antelope to graze in. Buy a guard cow.
I'm outa of the bovine business and we ain't got no roaming antelope

BUT, I was jes werking on a project to keep the deer from eating my blue berry bushes. Got some plastic netting [amazon prime] then went to put it down and needed sum tent pegs to hold down the sides. Made about 10 tent pegs on my trusty table saw but cut the notch a little too deep so when I started to hammed them in the split at the top. Sooooooooo, I said "PHUQUE" this and ran to Walmart and bought 20 tent pegs

Lucky for me as I was leaving sum kind lady said " Sir" and the sharp points on the bottom of the tent pegs was cutting a hole in my bag and I was leaving tent pegs all the way across the parking lot.

Anywho, Mission accomplished
Old April 3rd, 2019, 09:54 AM

Jouni, some nice options on your Olds. Good that you have those build sheets. Allan, are you sure that W30 was used in 1976 as part of the 455 engine option? It seems to me that it was last used on the Colonnade body's in '75, on the H/O, re appearing in 1980 on the Calais based 442, 350 c.i., which had W30 decals on the front fenders.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 09:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, I guarantee that 1976 was the last of the 455 L74 optioned cars. Only 143 were built.

Last edited by Allan R; April 4th, 2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 10:20 AM

Jouni, Lord knows I ain't a grammar **** but I'm curious, Why do you put the dollar sign $$$ after the number instead of before

Inquiring minds
Old April 3rd, 2019, 10:22 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I bet it's just like the fundamentals of speech. You wouldn't say milk costs bucks four.

So is the hay to mulch the azaleas? If dats de case, why not mulch some brush and use dat??
Old April 3rd, 2019, 10:42 AM

Allan, It ta'int hay. It's long needle pine and because I gave my POS shredder/mulcher away,it would do much over an inch limb
Old April 3rd, 2019, 10:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Gotcha, dey needs acidic soil.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Jouni, Lord knows I ain't a grammar **** but I'm curious, Why do you put the dollar sign $$$ after the number instead of before

Inquiring minds
Ah, you do it other way? For real, as we speak here in Finland, we put the marque of the currency after the numbers, like 3000€, 3000$. Genuinely, didnt know you do it otherwise.
But thanks for clarification, i promise to try remember that.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 11:17 AM

Jamesbo, you got me curious. I did a quick search- actually its atleast €uro related thing- Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Finland, just to tour around Europe, everyone puts their currency mark after the sum. You got me curious because i havent ever noticed that. Even Norway which has their own currency, has it marked after the amount.
So i quess its the European way, and apparently you have your way of putting the currency mark before the sum.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 12:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hm. If I were a betting man I'd say I'm right, on all accounts.

Yep, I sure am.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 12:22 PM

Jouni, It's no big deal I was jes curious. We [Americans] have a weird way to say and do alot of things. We park ion a driveway and drive on a parkway. .Hawaii has interstates not going to another state jes to name a couple.

And we southerns are the worst. " Over yonder [to us] is a perfectly good description of where something/one is 'at" [ in the vernacular]

When my wife [ a Yankee] moved south and the teacher told her to " Put your books up" She had no idea where "up" was spose to be

Mike, I musta missed something/. What's the wager on?
Old April 3rd, 2019, 02:22 PM
Running On Empty

Jamesbo- Let's not even begin a discussion of the Southern expression: "Why, bless his/her heart."
Old April 3rd, 2019, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jamesbo- Let's not even begin a discussion of the Southern expression: "Why, bless his/her heart."
Now what fun is that?

Old April 3rd, 2019, 04:39 PM
Always room for one more

So I had a bit of a Psycho moment earlier. I was at the shop and discovered that I needed to move something in order to get the black truck out, and I didn't have the keys that I needed. So I grabbed a tape measure and headed up to the front to at least get some measurements. I didn't see anyone next door(remember the lady died) so I walked around the yard, looking at the house, and the woods behind it, and when I was walking back to the shop happened to look back and I thought I saw a woman sitting in the upstairs window. Looked like the lady. Thought it might have been her ghost. So I waved. And the ghost waved back! She opened the window and it turns out it's the lady's sister. I apologized for being in the yard I was really just snooping, she said that's okay I knew who you were, I've seen you next door before. We probably talked a half hour. But boy was that an odd feeling, she wasn't sitting right up against the window, so it really did look like a shadow.

Gonna hit the sack in a minute. I'll try for the overtime again tomorrow, this time I hope I'm smart enough to get up as soon as I grab the alarm. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 11:03 PM

Allan, last year of the 455, but the W30 option wasn't available.
Old April 4th, 2019, 02:44 AM

Old April 4th, 2019, 05:30 AM

Mike, that sure must have been a eerie feeling, seeing her ghost!
Not much new here, ice and snow are slowly melting. Nice day yesterday sunny and in the 40's, supposed to be the same today. I am going over to Manistee today to get 4 25' I Beams. I borrowed a long pontoon boat trailer to bring them back with. I'm not worried really but a little concerned. I repacked the wheel bearings and they didn't look too good, probably never been packed since new and backed into the lake who knows how many times. Tires are iffy too. It's a 2 axle trailer and I've seen 20' pontoons towed with single axles before and the web says average weight for a 20 ' pontoon is about 2000 lbs. My 4 I beams will be about 1560. Won't be going too fast- no expressways, just 2 lane state roads. Have a good one!
Old April 4th, 2019, 10:10 AM

Greg, I was thinking that was a long drive to get I beams, but then I had no idea how far north Harrison was. I was thinking that it was closer to Lansing.
Old April 4th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, you are correct, I should not have stated W30's in 76. I made that mistake because 1 of the remaining 6 that were imported to Canada lives not far away and has a W30 intake. It's a gorgeous car but is in reality a 76 Cutlass S with the W29 package and L74 (plus a lot of other creature comfort goodies). It also had a 3.42:1 G80 rear end (not listed as a factory RPO in the SPECS that year) installed from the dealer so it can really haul when the go pedal is pressed.

Old April 4th, 2019, 12:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Busy busy today. Signed off about twice as many wheels as I would normally. Two guys were out so It was picking up slack. Glad to do it. Hope tomorrow isn't the same, I'd like to think my number is up for going home early. We're only going home a few people early at a time now on Friday because of the other department's complaining. Eh, I'm paid till 230.

Greg I used to have a pontoon and a big trailer for it, and the wheels on the trailer were so small. I thought, no way would I take this out on the highway. And they said inflate to 75psi. I didn't do that, either. That boat sat out at the dock for a long time and I never was able to fix the motor. I finally sold it to a friend of mine, and guess where he keeps it, at my shop.

Gonna mow this afternoon. Might not be the whole yard, but part of it. It will kick up a huge yellow cloud. I'd better put on a respirator or I'll be coughing and hacking all night. Tiger is out now biting at all the little bees that are hovering around the clover in the grass. I wonder what will happen when one stings him.

Beautiful out. Overcast but over 70. Really nice. See ya's all later.
Old April 4th, 2019, 01:27 PM

Mike, Try a tablespoon of "local" bee honey every day, It's spose to help. I'm a native so it doesn't bother me [except when my Trophy blue 442 drop top turn Exorcist pea green]
Old April 4th, 2019, 02:59 PM

Yeah, Dan, Manistee is about 80 miles from here. Trip went perfect, a great day.I beams are crazy expensive new, these were used off Craigslist. Craigslist and face book and the others are amazing, and all for free. Sure did put a kabash on classifieds in the newspapers! Man I love the feeling of spring! I'm ready to take a convertible ride! Soon, I hope!
Old April 4th, 2019, 09:28 PM
O'smobile

Retro Petrol Please

Saw this new station where my old 76 Unocal used to be. I was going there for years now this?

Old April 4th, 2019, 10:21 PM

Allan, I just don't have much of anything after the '72 model year for Olds. I have a 1976 & 1977 new car brochures, but they really don't contain too much on options. Mike, I had a Husky that would go after yellow jackets. She would snap them right up. My guess was that she had been stung by one in the past, and this was her revenge. Wow, a Sinclair station, I didn't know that they existed anymore. There hasn't been one around here in 50 years. Sunoco left this area about 30 years ago, but now they are back, with two of them within ten miles of me.
Old April 4th, 2019, 11:54 PM

Good Morning everyone.

Nothing happened yesterday, i just waited that Clock would be enough so i could go to sleep and pass one more day Sounds worse than it is.
Thank god sauna is heating up today. Something to wait for.

Allan R - Many thanks for that option price-list, i dont have that despite having many other documents. $79 for worst seats ever to sit? (Swivel buckets).
AC seems to have been really high-cost unit comparing to base-car price. And im about yanking it out. Its for Grandpas And maybe some Place that happen to have over +20c at summer.. Im Still saving everything i remove so they can be assembled back, my original rims and "chrome-parts" for them are all stashed away to wait something

Hmm.. What to do today, that is the question. Well, time will show it. have a day all!
Old April 5th, 2019, 06:22 AM

Rained last night so today the streets a yellow

Headed norte

HAVE a wonderful weekend Olds friends
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:27 AM

Allan.. You know what to do..

Old April 5th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Friday and the weekend awaits.

Pretty quiet here yesterday. I had an appointment with the grill Dr and it went well. I did have to get a high point on the new 2-6 crown ground down a bit so it didn't cause so much grinding. On the way home I stopped in at a local Chev dealership. They had 2 18 Malibu Premier's in stock so for kicks and giggles I stopped in to look at them. WOW!! I can't believe how much technology is in that car. Some of it I like, some of it is just unnecessary and overwhelming. The 2 cars were identical except for paint. The white metallic was about $300 more than the gold one because of the special paint. Price? $40,000.00 (I did that for Jouni's benefit and Jim as well since we price things here with the $ in front of the numbers). But since they are 18's, with dealer incentives and trade it would come in at around $25k. That's pretty reasonable overall but honestly I felt kind of claustrophobic in the cabin.

Dan - No worries. I got those SPECS from Ken Pilidis who is the chapter prez here for the Northern Olds Club.

Jouni - Hahahaha, you keel me! Unless I get a manual gearbox, which isn't likely since the wife has to also drive I simply can't stand the CVT standard feature on the Subaru. BTW, that 2018 Malibu has a 9 speed AT with final drive of 2.58:1 for fuel economy. but the lower gears move it about in a pretty snappy manner. I was a little surprised to learn that Malibu is considered a full size car now and that the Impala was dropped from production. When they introduced that body style back in 2016 I thought it was a real winner. But nope, it only had a run of 2016-18. I'm not sure why you would take out the AC in your car. The compressor and system in those cars isn't all that heavy compared to the old ones. And it's really nice to have de-humidified air in the car especially on long trips.

Orlando - You're paying about the same as us for gas. Only we are about the lowest in Canada, whereas you're around the highest in the USA

Well I spose I should take a look at the PVR and see how Canada is doing against Swisherland in the WMCC. If they drop this game, they could still be in the top 6. I hope they win both today. This evening draw is against the Dutch, who knocked off John Shuster in the opening draw. John (team USA) is the defending champion MWCC. He's got a long uphill road to navigate, but on the other side of the coin he pulled off a huge win against Japan last night. Almost no one has beat Japan in this round robin.
Old April 5th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another busy morning at work. The foreman wasn't there so it was a do and go. Still had to produce 150 wheels. We finished right at 1. It was my wall guy's last day, and he went home early. So one of the other wall guy's filled in, as well as doing his own work,

Allan the price of the car dropped 15K that easily? Makes one wonder if the car isn't that much overpriced to begin with.

Holy Toledo Orlando. That is some high gas prices. I haven't spent any appreciable amount of time in LA for several years, but I don't remember the price of gas being this high comparatively. Of course I wasn't buying gas when I was out there so I must not have noticed. I did spend a lot of time at In and Out.

A couple of my friends from the Awful house came over to help move some furniture. Really all's I needed was half of a china cabinet taken down and a dresser moved out to the dogmobile. Took 5 minutes, but I couldn't do it by myself. Now I can continue on my painting of the bedroom. Ah to have my own bed back again.

Okay gonna get things together and we're headed off to Florida. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old April 5th, 2019, 02:02 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I'll see your Twilight Zone theme & raise you one Ludwig van Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata (3rd Movement)

Old April 5th, 2019, 11:06 PM

Allan, 40k for a Malibu!!! NOT! I recognize Ken's name. is he involved with the OCA? Norm, I've seen other videos of that young lady playing the guitar. Pretty amazing.