The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2023, 11:57 AM
Running On Empty

I wasn't going to say you might be thinking of the Timber Rattler (even though I suspected you were). Missouri is a fair distance North of a Diamondback's range.
Old February 20th, 2023, 12:58 PM

UGH, I've been getting about 100-150 spam emails a day, looked at my deleted file and there are over 1300 in a couple weeks, I have tried sending them to junk, or just plain deleting them, doesn't matter, I keep getting them back with same tag line, but I think from different sender. I tried to up my free Avast anti virus, and no help....I am pretty sure it all started when I verified my email address on CO and FTE. I'm thinking I might just notify anyone who contacts me thru email to now contact me on my phone and just ignore email. I don't use email that much anymore anyway.
Old February 20th, 2023, 01:00 PM
Running On Empty

That's an *** load of spam e-mail.

What e-mail client do you use?
Old February 20th, 2023, 01:10 PM
Running On Empty

Generally, if you notice a sudden increase in the number of spam emails, it's a good bet your (e-mail) address was part of a list recently sold to one or more scammers.
Old February 20th, 2023, 01:47 PM

Yep, Norm, I'm thinkin CO and FTE- I'm using Hotmail, which I guess actually goes thru Outlook 1st. I'm cornfused with it all....
Old February 20th, 2023, 01:50 PM

Well, another friends parent passed away. Third funeral in the last 6 weeks. Sucks, but he managed to make it to 97. Ice storm headed our way for Weds evening Thurs morning, supposed to be a hoot. (NOT!). Ordered Paczki's for Fat Tuesday for my co workers last Friday, picked them up this afternoon, sitting in refrigeration (the back of my Hyundai).
Old February 20th, 2023, 02:10 PM
Running On Empty

U

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Yep, Norm, I'm thinkin CO and FTE- I'm using Hotmail, which I guess actually goes thru Outlook 1st. I'm cornfused with it all....
Greg - Argh. I'll try to explain this is in very simple terms (no thanks to how MS named their services in the past six years):

An e-mail "client" is a piece of software which exists, is loaded onto, your PC or mobile device. The "client" talks to the "server". Consider the "client" as a broker which chaperones your communication(s) and services with the "server". In this case the "server" we're talking about would be an E-Mail "server". There are many providers who use an e-mail "client". The Microsoft Office Suite uses (and comes with) the e-mail "Outlook" client. Again, the "client" is loaded onto your PC or mobile device. It manages all your e-mail. Client talks to server, server talks to client.

Unfortunately, MS named their web-based (browser) e-mail service: Outlook.com (a terribly stupid name). There is no "client". It is an entirely web-based browser interface. It's basically like logging onto any type of website using a browser and it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the Outlook client AT ALL. MS ported all the hotmail e-mail services (including the old Messenger e-mails) over to Outlook.com. This made it very confusing to many users.

So, you don't go through any Outlook first other than MS named the damn website Outlook.com

Let me think/ponder on this a minute or two and I may (or I may not) come up with an idea for you. I'm not an e-mail expert, but I know my way around e-mail systems pretty well and I might come up with something clever for you.

Whenever you get notifications or use your e-mail - which you stated was hotmail, you are actually logging onto the Outlook.com website. There is no hotmail "client" it's all website (web-based) browser interface e-mail technology. What you're actually doing (sorry to beat this to death) is logging onto Outlook.com website. MS owns (patent) one E-Mail server platform and that is called Exchange Server. Their Exchange Server is what is actually running 365 (in the cloud).
Old February 20th, 2023, 02:18 PM
Running On Empty

Well, Mr. Greg - You are not alone. There is a GLOBAL issue currently occurring w/ all of MS Outlook.com spam filtering. I'm thinking this doesn't have anything to do with your recent CO &/or FE accounts. It's a literal complete breakdown in the MS spam filtering system.

https://www.techradar.com/news/hotma...-for-microsoft
Old February 20th, 2023, 02:21 PM
Running On Empty

Greg - This URL link likely won't last long, but check out the plethora of users having issues w/ MS hotmail spam.
I searched on the words "hotmail spam emails" (Google Search Engine)

https://www.google.com/search?q=hotm...t=gws-wiz-serp
Old February 20th, 2023, 02:38 PM
Running On Empty

I'm going to sorta put an end to this by offering up the BEST suggestion I can relative to and regarding e-mail services in general. By far the BEST e-mail solution you can use (other than one you have to pay for which is what I do) is to use the e-mail service provided by your ISP (Internet Service Provider). The caveat here is that most people think they don't know how to configure the e-mail service when it only takes a few minutes of your time to configure it and set it up - FOR FREE. (ISP - you know, the company you pay monthly to provide you with Internet service). They also provide you with a free e-mail service - they always have.

Whatever the name is of your ISP, go to their site and setup your e-mail account. Yes, you have to read how to do it. They (literally all of them) have very simple instructions for setting up an e-mail account. Every OS (Operating System) comes with a default Mail Account - both on your PC and on your mobile device. Most people don't want to bother to read how to do it so they don't. Instead, they opt for something they think is free like gmail or hotmail or messenger or google or blah, blah, blah. NOTHING is free - y'all know that. But did you know you can get the BEST free e-mail service by configuring your own e-mail account with your ISP? Your ISP provides free spam filters, your ISP provides free AV services for all your e-mail, as well. No ISP wants their e-mail servers infected with spam and viruses - they provide these services and you're paying for them but most don't even use them.
Old February 20th, 2023, 03:14 PM
Running On Empty

Yeah, baby - found the issue. I'm not going to bore y'all w/ gory details, but I did find the issue (sneaking about some back doors and select groups).

...in our brief testing it appears that the spam is not filtered on Outlook on the web (outlook.com) but if you open the Outlook client app, the messages are properly filtered and this is then synced to Outlook.com where the spam messages are marked as Junk Mail.
Someone misconfigured the e-mail trap (spam filter) web-facing interface of the Exchange Server at Outlook.com
Note (above) spam is NOT being filtered on the web (outlook.com) - which is, you guessed it, where hotmail is hosted. However, (noting this mild test) if you open an Outlook "client" application (as I suggested earlier what a "client" actually is), the messages are properly being filtered and then synced to Outlook.com. But, note again - ONLY if you open the Outlook "client" are messages being properly filtered. Albeit, the web interface which hosts hotmail is misconfigured. There is no hotmail "client"; albeit, there is no hotmail spam filtering such as is available for an Outlook "client" since hotmail does not use a "client" - it's an entirely web-based website hosted Browser interface. Ooops....shame shame; and, really shame, shame...typical B.S. money to burn out their *** and they failed to test this in a developer's environment before going live.
Old February 20th, 2023, 03:26 PM

Greg - Sorry about your email spam woes, that sucks! Hopefully they'll get things cleaned up soon.

Dan - Sorry to hear about your friends and their parents passing. Time is not slowing down for any of us. I can't begin to tell you how old I felt when my daughter turned 31on the 16th of this month.

Wife and I watched Top Gun Maverick last night. I liked it more than the original. My wife liked it, but didn't think it was as good as the original.

Beautiful here today. Spent part of the day cleaning out our planter beds in the front and rear of the house. For those of you who have kindly continued to ask about Maggie's status, she is doing much better. She is going up/down stairs now by herself and back to her usual playful self. Keeping our fingers crossed at this point.

Hope ya'll had a wonderfull day!
Old February 20th, 2023, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Ordered Paczki's for Fat Tuesday for my co workers last Friday, picked them up this afternoon, sitting in refrigeration (the back of my Hyundai).
I almost forgot about Fat Tuesday. I was a bit ahead of the calendar this year - I made shrimp jambalaya last weekend, then shrimp and crab gumbo a few days later. Kinda done with Cajun food for now. I’ll stop and get some Abita on the way home tomorrow and call it good.
Old February 20th, 2023, 09:38 PM

Something I hate on this site is when some unknown user wants PROOF of something, instead of us just telling him, and, then when you GIVE proof, it ain't good enough. I may have dropped the F bomb.
Old February 21st, 2023, 04:16 AM

Thanks for your checking into the issue, Norm. I looked at those links and Yep, that seems to be what has happened. I also looked at your suggestion to start my own email host. I can't do it at the moment but I plan to look back and do it later. I knew that somehow "outlook" was in the mix as I accidentally sent a email from our Long Lake Association to junk and after that all emails from them are sent to junk- Still haven't got that fixed either.... I feel so stupid and "inferior" on so much of this tech stuff. In some ways I feel like the guy back in the 40's who says "I don't need one of those newfangled telephones in my house!"
Old February 21st, 2023, 04:21 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Man what a great weekend. Nice weather, got lots done, even felt relaxed a little.

We got some dumb thing at work this week. Between 9 and 11 every morning, we have to stop working and do cleaning. That includes finding things we don't use anymore and send them off to [somewhere]. The lead acts like the company will shut down if we miss one wheel, it should be interesting shutting down completely for two hours every day. Bet it doesn't last.

John I agree with you. That guy is a stooge. Give him the answer and he says it isn't good enough. I think the only thing that would satisfy him would be for him to travel back in time and go watch them paint the engines in person.

Okay have a good day everyone.

Old February 21st, 2023, 04:32 AM
Running On Empty

I feel so stupid and "inferior" on so much of this tech stuff. In some ways I feel like the guy back in the 40's who says "I don't need one of those newfangled telephones in my house!"
Absolutely no reason to feel stupid/inferior, John. The greatest majority of users don't know so much regarding this technology; and, like yourself they get along just fine not having to contend w/ the underlying scientergic renoberations (Homer Simpson). We all share various areas of knowledge.
Old February 21st, 2023, 09:58 AM

Thanks for your checking into the issue, Norm. I looked at those links and Yep, that seems to be what has happened. I also looked at your suggestion to start my own email host. I can't do it at the moment but I plan to look back and do it later. I knew that somehow "outlook" was in the mix as I accidentally sent a email from our Long Lake Association to junk and after that all emails from them are sent to junk- Still haven't got that fixed either.... I feel so stupid and "inferior" on so much of this tech stuff. In some ways I feel like the guy back in the 40's who says "I don't need one of those newfangled telephones in my house!"
Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Absolutely no reason to feel stupid/inferior, John. The greatest majority of users don't know so much regarding this technology; and, like yourself they get along just fine not having to contend w/ the underlying scientergic renoberations (Homer Simpson). We all share various areas of knowledge.
If there is a problem I do not have, it is feeling stupid or inferior, lol. I am admittedly an arrogant bastard (and I am poking fun at Norm for directing a comment to Greg at me, lol.)
Old February 21st, 2023, 10:02 AM

Yeah, baby - found the issue. I'm not going to bore y'all w/ gory details, but I did find the issue (sneaking about some back doors and select groups).

Someone misconfigured the e-mail trap (spam filter) web-facing interface of the Exchange Server at Outlook.com
Note (above) spam is NOT being filtered on the web (outlook.com) - which is, you guessed it, where hotmail is hosted. However, (noting this mild test) if you open an Outlook "client" application (as I suggested earlier what a "client" actually is), the messages are properly being filtered and then synced to Outlook.com. But, note again - ONLY if you open the Outlook "client" are messages being properly filtered. Albeit, the web interface which hosts hotmail is misconfigured. There is no hotmail "client"; albeit, there is no hotmail spam filtering such as is available for an Outlook "client" since hotmail does not use a "client" - it's an entirely web-based website hosted Browser interface. Ooops....shame shame; and, really shame, shame...typical B.S. money to burn out their *** and they failed to test this in a developer's environment before going live.
Norm, thanks for the investigation. Outlook is interesting, as it is one of the few systems trying to do it both ways, with a webmail and a client. Clients for end users in the consumer market are very archaic as most general citizens have gone completely to webmail, or a cell phone app that is a nicer gui on a webmail. Enterprise applications seem to be the only niche for client side client programs. I have two outlook accounts, my work email and my h/oca club volunteer email. To use them on the same PC requires careful use of one on the client, and one on the web, to keep the two separate and not confused and switching back and forth.

Clients seem to be from years past when there was very little front end to the internet.
Old February 21st, 2023, 11:00 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Norm, thanks for the investigation. Outlook is interesting, as it is one of the few systems trying to do it both ways, with a webmail and a client. Clients for end users in the consumer market are very archaic as most general citizens have gone completely to webmail, or a cell phone app that is a nicer gui on a webmail. Enterprise applications seem to be the only niche for client side client programs. I have two outlook accounts, my work email and my h/oca club volunteer email. To use them on the same PC requires careful use of one on the client, and one on the web, to keep the two separate and not confused and switching back and forth.

Clients seem to be from years past when there was very little front end to the internet.

John - Indeed. Since development of cloud services and evolution of Browser interface(s), many (most) companies saw a niche to move client/server applications to Browser interfaces; and, I "think" they were/are making the correct move(s). One of the areas which required further additional oversight/research was the evolution/development of encryption algorithms for these web-based applications/services. End-users do not want to be bothered with endless configurations - they want seamless & understandably so.
Old February 21st, 2023, 11:23 AM

John - Indeed. Since development of cloud services and evolution of Browser interface(s), many (most) companies saw a niche to move client/server applications to Browser interfaces; and, I "think" they were/are making the correct move(s). One of the areas which required further additional oversight/research was the evolution/development of encryption algorithms for these web-based applications/services. End-users do not want to be bothered with endless configurations - they want seamless & understandably so.
True. This also seems to have changed the, or changed WITH the, mindset of "getting my email" versus "checking my email." The old AOL client in the 90s would ruthlessly destroy your email once you read it, and this was a big thing. People wanted the equivalent of the "important documents" pile, and that was hard to do with limited space. Now, it's trivial.
Old February 21st, 2023, 04:40 PM

Good evening guys,

Another beautiful day here, especially for February, sunny and 55°. I had my 6-month dental check-up this morning and everything was fine.

I had ordered a few car related items off Amazon that came today. I needed a good set of wheel chocks and I ordered a set of 4. I think they will work much better than pieces of 2"x8" placed in front/back of the tires. Also, in my investigation of "the noise", I had noticed the emergency brake cables were very close to being in contact with the floor pans in a couple of spots, and were not real taught. It could be possible under the right conditions for the cables to move and contact the floor pan and make a noise. I purchased some pre-split nylon sheathing, just slightly larger than the actual cable, to put over the cable in those areas that might possibly come into contact with the floor pan. Now I may have already eliminated the issue based on my last test drive, but I got this sheathing anyway just in case, it wasn't expensive. I still need to crawl up into the trunk before the next test drive and check the mounts for the speakers in the package tray.

Wife and I watched the newest Elvis movie last night. I believe it has won a few awards. I am not a huge Elvis fan, but my wife is. I didn't think it was great, but thought it was pretty good. The story is told from the perspective (narrator) of Colonel Tom Parker, who is played by Tom Hanks.

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old February 21st, 2023, 04:45 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Curious if the dead man made it to his funeral, yet?
Old February 21st, 2023, 05:18 PM

Norm we have another dandy heading our way in wiscohttps://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...5#.Y_Vtri-B3oB

Even more to da nortehttps://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...8#.Y_Vu0C-B3oA

Last edited by otto72; February 21st, 2023 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added NOAA link
Old February 21st, 2023, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Norm we have another dandy heading our way in wiscohttps://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...5#.Y_Vtri-B3oB

Even more to da nortehttps://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...8#.Y_Vu0C-B3oA
Keith - That looks pretty knarly! I also see where the weatherman is forecasting a large ice storm (1/2-inch of ice and 40mph winds) going right over my hometown of Battle Creek, MI tomorrow morning thru Thursday morning. They are warning that any travel will be difficult to impossible, with high probability of major power outages and tree damage. My sister still lives there.
Old February 21st, 2023, 06:18 PM

Chris you may remember the "Ice Storm" of 76 https://www.weather.gov/media/grb/Final Ice Storm 1976.pdf
We luckily had a wood burning stove to cook and keep warm until power was restored. Then Dad and us boys went out and helped clean up a bunch of downed trees on the east side trailered a bunch home and had plenty of wood for the next couple seasons

Hope everyone fairs well as things transpire the next few days

Old February 21st, 2023, 06:47 PM

Keith - I did not remember it, but from the .pdf file you sent, it sounds like it was incredibly bad! The 2 worst winter events in Battle Creek that I remember were the blizzards of '67 and '78. In the '67 one Battle Creek got 29-inchs in 2-days. There were also high winds and the snow was actually drifted over the roof of my parents ranch style home. We were homebound for about 6-days.
https://wwmt.com/news/local/west-mic...27%20combined.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 03:36 AM
Running On Empty

Keith - Time to fire up the snowmobiles & hit the ski slopes. I wasn't aware of the storm until you mentioned it. I was hearing some talk about Olive on news outlets but didn't think much of it since it was somewhere out by Oregon/Washington area. Some areas to get 2' of snow. I began my freshman year in H.S. in 1967. In January we received 2' of snow in less than two days - I think it remains the largest snow storm in the Chicago area. Hope you have fix'ns for chili & cornbread.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Running On Empty

Tee-time 8:16am, 70°F, winds mild @ 1mph-2mph out of the SSE. Bang the gong, baby.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 03:41 AM

--Chris, sounds like you and Dawn are going thru the same movies we did last year. We hadn't went to a regular old theater in years. Last year a friend recommended the new Top Gun, Where the Crawdads Sing, and Elvis. Within a month we saw all 3 on the big screen. I enjoyed them all.
--Norm, I am happy to say I think you found the problem in your research. I had almost decided to give up as I couldn't get the spam to stop. Then yesterday morning I looked at it and had only about 30 spams. I cleared them all again. Checked through out the day and no new spam. This morning checked it and no new mail at all. I guess they must have fixed it. Thanks for your help!
Old February 22nd, 2023, 03:43 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Good deal. Looking forward to some Meadow Green images.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 04:07 AM

No poke for me this Lent ( sniff) a guess a little self discipline is a good thing
Old February 22nd, 2023, 05:24 AM

--Chris, sounds like you and Dawn are going thru the same movies we did last year. We hadn't went to a regular old theater in years. Last year a friend recommended the new Top Gun, Where the Crawdads Sing, and Elvis. Within a month we saw all 3 on the big screen. I enjoyed them all.
Greg - Yes, it sure sounds like it. We're, or maybe I should say I am, too cheap to pay Movie Theater prices anymore. Regardless of the cost, with our 70" TV and surround sound system, I really do enjoy watching movies more in the comfort of our living room. There would have to be something really special showing for me to go to a Movie Theater again, that's just me. I still want to see that movie "Devotion" about the 1st Black Navy pilot during the Korean War, it looks good.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 05:39 AM
Jeff

We had to see Top Gun: Maverick in the theater for the visuals. There are just some movies that lend themselves to the big screen experience. I have yet to rewatch any of the Star Wars or Lord of the Rings since going big with the 70" Vizio family Christmas present / replacement living room tv. Just haven't found the time, work sucks right now. Hell, I just took the Christmas tree down 2 nights ago.

Old February 22nd, 2023, 06:32 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Well this is a surprise to me, we are doing 5S things today. We actually got a lot of things thrown out and cleaned up yesterday, and I figured that would be it. Nope, the lead comes over at 9 and wants us to start up again. Really what it is going to be is a two hour break for everyone.

My usual response to what was the last movie I saw in the theater is, I couldn't tell you. I thought about it and when smoke came out of my ears I remembered. It was 2018 and I saw the 50th anniversary showing of Bullitt. I had no clue what was going on the whole movie, but it was cool seeing the car chase on the big screen.

I might have mentioned before that I really want a 96 Impala SS. I've been looking for awhile. That Imperial sort of came from out of left field. There just isn't anything that I like, read that as not trashed and not priced in the stratosphere. I'd be up for a roadtrip, but so far nada.

Think I'll go for a walk. I cleaned my desk yesterday. Have a good day everyone.

Old February 22nd, 2023, 06:36 AM

One of the advantages of living where I do is the wild life, I get a little of everything up here, some good some bad. Yesterday 4 young tom turkeys(jakes) were romancing a single lone hen, all of them in full display kinda reminds me of a high school prom, knowing they should be doing something but too young to know what they should do.
Time to get outside and cover the Miata before it snows today, man I'm I ready for spring...Tedd
Old February 22nd, 2023, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
We had to see Top Gun: Maverick in the theater for the visuals. There are just some movies that lend themselves to the big screen experience. I have yet to rewatch any of the Star Wars or Lord of the Rings since going big with the 70" Vizio family Christmas present / replacement living room tv. Just haven't found the time, work sucks right now. Hell, I just took the Christmas tree down 2 nights ago.
Jeff - I hope your work load lets up soon, I remember that feeling and it's not a pretty memory! Also hope you are north of the band of ice that's supposed to come across the State.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Time to get outside and cover the Miata before it snows today, man I'm I ready for spring...Tedd
Tedd - How's your Dad doing? Hoping he's coming back as quickly as can be expected at his age from that bad fall.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
I might have mentioned before that I really want a 96 Impala SS. I've been looking for awhile. That Imperial sort of came from out of left field. There just isn't anything that I like, read that as not trashed and not priced in the stratosphere. I'd be up for a roadtrip, but so far nada.
Mike - I recently saw a nice one around that year, but I can't remember which site or how much they were asking for it. I will peruse some of the sites today and if I find it I will post the link for you.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 09:46 AM
Jeff

Mike, I was going to suggest the later Chevy SS (RWD), but the prices on those are holding pretty high, north of $30k. I have a couple of coworkers that own -- one uses his as a daily driver, and they both enjoy the heck out of them.

Chris, that band of ice is coming right along the I-69 corridor, so that means I'm directly in the path. Decided to work from home today as a result.