The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2023, 03:57 PM

That's a beautiful Chrysler!
Old February 24th, 2023, 02:31 AM

Mike, Very nice find. Is that your driveway?
Old February 24th, 2023, 02:55 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Started out the day right by sitting in accident traffic. The accident happened at 1am, I was through there at 4, and the whole road was blocked. This is I-75. I'm sympathetic that someone died, I don't believe the cops needed 8 lanes of traffic to do their investigation. I ended up exiting onto 285 and promptly got lost trying to pick my way back to the airport. Got to work only a few minutes late. The lead said plenty of people messaged.

Yes that's my driveway the car is sitting on. That was just after it was unloaded from the trailer. The hubcaps were in the trunk, I have since put them on. I asked the seller to take them off so they didn't walk off if the driver stopped for a couple hour nap.

Overtime this weekend, both days, and I'm not working it. It's tough turning down double time but I can't get past the lead telling us it's our fault we're behind, when he's the one that stops production for two hours every morning.

Okay things are moving along. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old February 24th, 2023, 05:25 AM

Mike, Ya should have axed pasquel Parez for directions https://www.ajc.com/sports/the-night...RdepdVuJsXxRJ/
Old February 24th, 2023, 06:07 AM
Always room for one more

Once I realized I wasn't seeing anything familiar I took out the phone and GPS found my way. Although, I asked for directions to 1075 Aviation Boulevard, and it said it didn't know where that was. I thought MH Jackson Frontage Road was a ceremonial name, apparently not. I can empathize with Mr. Perez.

The lead told us we were not stopping for 5S today, unless one of the higher ups came and told us to. That's easy, they don't come in on Friday. He went around after another speech and asked for overtime, and evidently he had some converts because we're working tomorrow and Sunday. Well, someone is, I'm not.

Thanks for the compliments on the car. One of those has been on my radar for quite awhile. Next up, a 60. I'm not in a hurry for that one, though.

Old February 24th, 2023, 07:30 AM
Jeff

Mike, I want to see pictures of all your cars and how they're stored. It sounds like you've got about a hunnert!
Old February 24th, 2023, 09:10 AM

Good morning guys,

Back from the Vet and Monty got a clean bill of health.

I haven't posted any pics of furniture my wife's finished lately, she recently finished a piece that I think is really neat! She recently found a Vintage Console Radio and Phonograph (neither of which worked) that she gave $10 for. Originally you would open the split lids on the top to access both the Radio components on one side (they were not on the outside as seen in the picture), or the Phonograph on the other side. First she gutted the interior, saving the Radio dial and *****/switches to later put on the exterior. Then she refinished the exterior in a Vintage distressed style and then added the Radio dial and *****/switches as seen in the picture. Then she purchased a decent Bluetooth stereo speaker and mounted it inside the cabinet. Finally she purchased a set of multi-colored LED lights and mounted them inside the cabinet at the back behind the grill area. These lights are designed to sync with the beat of the music from the Bluetooth speakers and provide a lightshow that can be varied by a controller. I was very surprised at how good the unit sounds and how cool the light show is. I was very, very impressed with her ingenuity and the end result!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 24th, 2023 at 09:31 AM.
Old February 24th, 2023, 09:46 AM
Jeff

I'd be interested in seeing more pics of that vintage radio console re-do, Chris. It looks like it turned out really nice. Condition is everything on them, of course. Wood veneers often peeled away, but looks like she got her hands on a cabinet that was still in good shape. I posted a pic of a really nice one that my Dad had saved and returned to working condition, I think it was on the vintage audio thread. It has a circular radio dial, and a glowing green eye. I made sure to get it tuned to the Tigers' am broadcast station for my Mom, so that she can listen to games in the background.
Old February 24th, 2023, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
I'd be interested in seeing more pics of that vintage radio console re-do, Chris. It looks like it turned out really nice.
Jeff - The Vintage radio you got working sounds cool!

Here are a few more pics of the one my wife did. She purposely left most of exterior natural woodgrain because it was so pretty. Not sure why she decided to do the top and radio dial area in distressed flat black, maybe the veneer in those areas was in worse shape, I just don't know?

On/off switch, radio dial, control *****, and pre-set buttons all transferred to the front from the interior.

Just a shot of the pretty woodgrain.

Interior completely gutted. You can hardly see it, but the bluetooth stereo speaker is in the back right-hand corner.

Old February 24th, 2023, 10:19 AM
Jeff

Moving the speaker into the lower cabinet area would / could produce some interesting sound quality. I'm guessing she gutted all of the old radio circuits, so that the controls are just for show?

Here are the pics of the one my Dad had picked up (that's him in the urn).

Old February 24th, 2023, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Moving the speaker into the lower cabinet area would / could produce some interesting sound quality. I'm guessing she gutted all of the old radio circuits, so that the controls are just for show?

Here are the pics of the one my Dad had picked up (that's him in the urn).
Jeff - That is one beautiful Vintage radio and so cool that it's still operational!

On my wife's, yes all the control *****, etc. are just for show now. If you look between the slats on the front you should be able to see a shelf in the center. During operation the bluetooth speaker actually sits on that shelf. The sound quality is pretty amazing for what it is.
Old February 24th, 2023, 03:42 PM
Always room for one more

We left work about a quarter to 12. My friend wasn't at the Awful house so I didn't stay too long there. Came home and went to sleep. I was beat. Which is funny because all's I do is sit at a desk. Mental anguish I guess.

Jeff I don't really have a lot of cars, but for some reason people say I do. Some of them are in the garage, some are in the hangar, some are in the mud. I got parts everywhere. What is the green eye for on the radio?

I have a console radio/record player that my aunt bought in 1970. It powers up but has a deep hum to it. I've read that the plates in the transformer have come loose and vibrate, but haven't read about a cure. As far as I know there are no parts available to fix it. It's a nice piece of furniture so it just sits and looks nice.

Old February 24th, 2023, 04:34 PM

Norm, thanks for posting a pic of Mike's car. Mike, that's a nice Chrysler. Chris, as usual, your wife did a great job with the old radio cabinet. Jeff, that's a cool looking vintage radio.
Old February 24th, 2023, 05:56 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Jeff...What is the green eye for on the radio?
Mike...The green eye (Sears, Roebuck & Co. Silvertone) is referred to as the Magic Eye. It operates via a tube (which has to warm up). The purpose of which is to assist in dialing in the best radio station signal reception.
Old February 25th, 2023, 04:59 AM

Wow, I like both those old radios!! Went and picked up my buddy down in Grand Ledge and we went to Ann Arbor yesterday for my 1 year check up after my Kidney lump removal surgery- All good!! That was a good thing so then since quite close to Detroit we went to the Autorama. Wow what a show, good times!! Left here at 7am and didn't get back til 11 pm. This morning my legs are tired. Snowing like a SOB this morning here.
Old February 25th, 2023, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Wow, I like both those old radios!! Went and picked up my buddy down in Grand Ledge and we went to Ann Arbor yesterday for my 1 year check up after my Kidney lump removal surgery- All good!! That was a good thing so then since quite close to Detroit we went to the Autorama. Wow what a show, good times!! Left here at 7am and didn't get back til 11 pm. This morning my legs are tired. Snowing like a SOB this morning here.
Greg - That's great your check-up was fine! Long day but it sounds like you and your buddy had fun at the Autorama, good for you guys! Be safe if you're out in the snow.
Old February 25th, 2023, 09:24 AM

Well I guess the thrill is gone.

It’s a few weeks until the annual All Oldsmobile Car Show and I haven’t signed up yet. Heck, I haven’t even sent in my membership dues for the AZ Olds Club. Been going for the past 22(?) years but I just don’t seem to have much interest in car shows anymore. Prolly just go hiking or 4-wheeling instead.

Last edited by Fun71; February 25th, 2023 at 09:27 AM.
Old February 25th, 2023, 09:36 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Gloomy out and not quite as warm. Eh, who cares. I'm in the middle of a project in one of the bedrooms.

There's a light in the closet of one of the upstairs bedrooms and the switch is bad. While I was looking at the switch, I thought, it would be much nicer to have the switch on the outside of the closet, than stuffed in the corner on the inside. So that's what I'm doing, and will replace the switch at the same time. Then I'm gonna paint the closet and redo the shelf organizers, and that will lead into painting the bedroom. Which will entail replacing the window. Then the carpet. And the door.

A friend of mine lives in the Detroit area and is big into the car scene. He was invited to some pre-show of the Autorama and got to walk around all the cars before the ropes went up. He sent me a picture of Orbitron, built by Ed Big Daddy Roth.

Gonna head to the hardware store for a few things then back to the project. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old February 25th, 2023, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Mike...The green eye (Sears, Roebuck & Co. Silvertone) is referred to as the Magic Eye. It operates via a tube (which has to warm up). The purpose of which is to assist in dialing in the best radio station signal reception.
Radio Corporation of America.
Old February 25th, 2023, 05:13 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Radio Corporation of America.
John - Good point. I should have thought my response through better than I did.
Old February 26th, 2023, 10:05 AM

Yep they had a bunch of Ed Roth cars. I also got to see my personal favorite- The Munster Coach!!! Oh man I love that car- how stupid and impractical but takes me back to 1966! I was 10! Also they had the Munsters dragster, The 1966 Batmobile and the Monkeemobile! OH MAN!!!!
Old February 26th, 2023, 10:15 AM

Yep they had a bunch of Ed Roth cars. I also got to see my personal favorite- The Munster Coach!!! Oh man I love that car- how stupid and impractical but takes me back to 1966! I was 10! Also they had the Munsters dragster, The 1966 Batmobile and the Monkeemobile! OH MAN!!!!
Although the Barris cars were impractical and ridiculous, they were so cool, especially for kids!!! I remember making models of all those. I really don't remember what happened to them? I am hoping they may have gotten saved and are squirreled away somewhere in my parent's (where Sis lives now) attic. I am getting up there next time I'm up in MI.
Old February 26th, 2023, 12:33 PM

The Munster Coach!!! Oh man I love that car- how stupid and impractical but takes me back to 1966! I was 10! Also they had the Munsters dragster, The 1966 Batmobile and the Monkeemobile! OH MAN!!!!
Reason enough to go right there.
Old February 26th, 2023, 12:42 PM

I don't know if this was the original or not, or an original, but the Munster Coach and Butch Patrick were at the Rt. 66 Festival a couple years ago. I was a little turned off by how the guy had his actor trailer there and they kept announcing A PUBLIC APPEARANCE BY BUTCH PATRICK. I mean, I get it, the guy was an actor, but he was a kid, everyone else is dead, that was so very long ago, didn't he do anything else in his life since then; the guy is not Tom Cruise. If he'd sat there under a tent all day and talked to people like a normal guy, that would have been entirely different. I'd like to think that, if I'm ever famous, that I'd still be a normal dude.
Old February 26th, 2023, 03:33 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Boy I'm beat. Today was Walmart day and I didn't get to rest afterward. I'm going to have the back door changed out at Mom's house and the guy was coming this afternoon to look at it. This guy has done work for me before and he gave me a good price so maybe in a week or so we'll have a new back door. There's a glass sliding door there now, I'm going to have him put in a regular door and a window.

I've seen the Munster coach and Dragula for a few years. I also thought it was odd that the guy was so, I don't know, unavailable. He was charging for an autographed picture so that just says right there that he's a has-been. I don't think any of those cars are the originals that are touring, I think they are all replicas. Here's a fun fact, Major Nelson's GTO convertible that he drove in I Dream of Jeanie, is the car that was turned into the original Monkeemobile.

John I can tell you for certain that if I became a famous person I'd stay the same guy that I am now. That could be a good thing or a bad thing...

And so starts another week. Have to do all five days, but maybe they will go faster than last week. Man I didn't think last week would end. I don't think we're doing anything special so it will be a normal week. I have a great feeling that the 5S thing is done.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old February 26th, 2023, 03:40 PM

I have a great feeling that the 5S thing is done.
Here hoping for its early demise. It hung on around here for a year or more, and facilitated at least one promotion to management, before the tumbleweeds (re)appeared.
Old February 26th, 2023, 03:43 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - A fine bowl of **** Soup (sic) to you.

Sorry, I meant Shitsuke...

The Five S's

The 5S quality tool is derived from five Japanese terms beginning with the letter "S" used to create a workplace suited for visual control and lean production. The pillars of 5S are simple to learn and important to implement:
  • Seiri: To separate needed tools, parts, and instructions from unneeded materials and to remove the unneeded ones.
  • Seiton: To neatly arrange and identify parts and tools for ease of use.
  • Seiso: To conduct a cleanup campaign.
  • Seiketsu: To conduct seiri, seiton, and seiso daily to maintain a workplace in perfect condition.
  • Shitsuke: To form the habit of always following the first four S’s.
Old February 26th, 2023, 04:35 PM

Oh Norm, you are behind the times. It’s now 5S +S and sometimes also has a Q.
Old February 26th, 2023, 04:49 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - You're right. I think I'd rather spend my time attempting to solve Collatz conjecture.
Old February 26th, 2023, 05:26 PM

Me too.
Old February 27th, 2023, 03:02 AM
Always room for one more

Because it takes a group of people to come in and tell everyone this like it's some revelation.

Good morning everyone.

Not feeling it. I did get up a little early and get going, but I could have just as easily stayed in bed. Tiger was non-plussed.

Door and window shopping after work. I'll be glad to get the back door fixed. The rotted out wall from the gutter leak gets fixed as well. How can it get any better.

Well have a good day everyone.

Old February 27th, 2023, 03:29 AM

There were signs with those cars. It said the Munster Coach was a reproduction, Dragula was the original used in the series and in the movie "Munster Go Home". Batmobile was a reproduction. I can't remember about the Monkeemobile but what you said, Mike, seems like I have heard b4. John, Butch Patrick was a attraction along with the guy who played John Milner on American Graffiti for the 1st and maybe 2nd Old 27 Motor Tour. On the same note Henry Winkler and the guy with the bandana on his forehead in Counting Cars was at the 2023 Autorama... . I just went back and removed some comments- remembering what my mama tol. me.....
Old February 27th, 2023, 04:49 AM
Running On Empty

Door and window shopping after work. I'll be glad to get the back door fixed. The rotted out wall from the gutter leak gets fixed as well.
Mike - Are you (as in yourself) doing the door & window installations or contract out? Same question regarding the rotted out wall.
If you have your measurements handy, consider dropping into local lumber yards as well as the big box stores. Ask the counter person if they have any (most likely standard dimension) left-over, non-returnable, incorrectly ordered/purchased windows/doors you can look at. Often times they have doors/windows they're hanging onto which never were sold - you can pick them up for pennies on the dollar since they'd prefer to capture some revenue, free-up storage space & remove from inventory.
Old February 27th, 2023, 05:43 AM
Always room for one more

Norm I'm hiring a man to do the work, this is beyond my scope. Actually the big box stores are my last stop, there are a couple builder's warehouse type stores around that I'm going to look at first. The lumber yard is a good idea. I'll look to see if we have any.

So surprise of all surprises it's Monday and our lead isn't here. The other lead came over and said no 5S today. Well, he said it a little more colorfully, but that was the message. I haven't seen any of the people around today, maybe they got shown the door.

Things are running pretty well this morning. They always do when the lead isn't here.

Old February 28th, 2023, 03:54 AM

Welsh rarebit for breakfast
Old February 28th, 2023, 04:08 AM
Running On Empty

Mike -
On this date (February 28, 1983) the final episode of “MASH” aired.
Old February 28th, 2023, 04:21 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

The lead is back and things are running a little jerky. Five-S is rescheduled for noon. Heck we might as well go home, since we're doing it from noon to 2. We leave around 2. Dumb.

Norm I didn't realize. Here's a fun fact. The last episode to be filmed wasn't the last episode to be aired. Here's another one. The real Korean war lasted three years. MASH's Korean war lasted 11.

Door shopping was a bust. I went to a lumber place who's website said they sold doors and windows. I walked into a big, empty room. A woman in an office asked what I was looking for. I said I need to buy a door. She said, are you picking one up? I said no, shopping. She said all their doors and windows are custom built. Okay see ya. Had time to go to one more place. Drove to where the address -should- have been, couldn't find it. No such place. So that was it. The heck with it, I'm going to Home Depot.

Gonna be nice today and warm. Have to take Mom to the doctor. Gonna rain tomorrow. So no getting anything done. I'm gonna stop short of saying I'm sick of taking Mom everywhere, because I like having her around. But I'm sick to death of all this rain! Yet as soon as it warms up for good we'll be in a drought because the powers that be will lower Lake Lanier then say we're all in jeopardy.

Well it's Tuesday in full force. Hope everyone does well in it.

Old February 28th, 2023, 04:34 AM

Custom built is probably "we build some of every option in a factory you will never see and ship only as needed to preserve illusion of exclusivity."

I'm going to sound like an arrogant *** here, but so many of marketing's cute little dodges are so easy to see through that one wonders if their creators believe their own perception of their intellect and if ignorance truly is bliss.
Old February 28th, 2023, 04:37 AM

Mike, Technically Korean Police action not war When I was a very young pup my very 1st friend [Chris]] lived behind our house and we could meet at the back fence and exchange toys. One day he told me his fathers plane had crashed and couldn't swim far enough to make it and he and his mom had to move. It took me 10 years or more to realize his father was in the USAF and had been killed in Korea. His wonderful mother introduced this haute cuisine starved Cracker to 2 wonderful eatables Liverwurst and steamed artichokes with butter I am eternally grateful
Old February 28th, 2023, 05:40 AM

Mike, I found that bigger sliders and french doors are made when ordered. Also found that just cuz one place sez it's not available as you want it, go to another place or manufacturer. This house has a 9' opening the the previous owner put a 6' and another 3' pane in. All said you can't get a 9 ft. er. Well Home Depot could get one thru another manufacturer which I can't remember the name. We ordered it and it took forever but it did finally come and is great.
Last night I went with 4 buddies on a night time snowmobile ride of about 65 miles. Wow it was fun.