The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2023, 03:48 AM

I had a friend who pulled a big car hauler trailer about 100 miles with a 2" ball that was intended for a 2 5/16. Luckily gravity held it on...He never knew until he hooked it back up for trip home, then borrowed my 2 5/16 ball. Geez, lots of hazards out there....
Old June 10th, 2023, 05:55 AM

Good morning guys,

Kenneth - Love your Jeep, I'm sure you have a blast going off-roading with it!

Mike - Thanks for letting me know the exact year of your favorite Valiant. Very cool that you have your Grandma's car.

I had hoped to make it to 2 car events again this weekend, but it looks like I'll have to settle for just one because rain is almost a certainty for tomorrow. This afternoon/evening will be the cruise-in that is usually held monthly at the BK close to my home. For some reason the Car Club that hosts it is moving it to a different unfranchised burger/frozen yogurt joint, also very close to me. This is the local burger joint that my wife and I frequent often, best burgers around IMO. I'm not sure why the club is moving it there, I suspect it's because there's more available parking and easier accessibility. I know a few members of that club and I'll get the scoop tonight. There was supposed to be a judged show tomorrow across the river in Columbia, IL about 20-miles away, but that ain't happening.

Got my mowing and other chores done yesterday, so today should be nice and relaxing. Hope ya'll have a great weekend!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 10th, 2023 at 07:47 AM.
Old June 10th, 2023, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
This is my favorite MOPAR.

While I understand that Stellantis is keeping the term MOPAR alive for marketing; when MOPAR was a thing, the Jeep was AMC. I know there's a Chrysler engine in there now, and it has nothing to do with the AMC 304, or the other engines, but, to me, calling a Jeep a MOPAR is like calling a Jaguar a Motorcraft during the years it was owned by Ford.
Old June 10th, 2023, 07:49 AM

Headed norte after funeral
Old June 10th, 2023, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Headed norte after funeral
Safe travels Jim, have a great weekend!
Old June 10th, 2023, 07:58 AM
Always room for one more

John I agree with you. The Chrysler show I go to in Australia started allowing any Jeep or AMC into the show. Just didn't seem right. There's even a Metropolitan that shows up. Nice little car. Doesn't belong at a Chrysler show.

We finished up around 930. A lot of people left. I'm holding out for my full 8 hours. For one, I got up at frickin' 2 so I'm gonna get paid what I'm owed. For two, I want to make sure I get all the double time tomorrow.

Jamesbo whatever happened with the guy coming to look at the VC? He seemed like a live one.

I think I'll go for a walk out side now. Oh, sorry, that was the Brady Bunch. Sitting here gets awful boring, I need to stretch my legs a little. I'll go down to the roll up door and see what the weather is like.

Old June 10th, 2023, 09:17 AM
Running On Empty

John - I was on a customer (NHS) engagement of ~1 year (2004 - 2005?) in England & drove by the Jaguar plant. I almost **** myself when I noticed it said Ford Motor Company on the sign. As a hobby me and my friends who owned HEALY 3000, TR3A, MG, BMG, Leyland loved the foreign (positive ground) vehicles.
Old June 10th, 2023, 09:19 AM
Running On Empty

I’m up on scaffolding - I can’t get enough.
Old June 10th, 2023, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
While I understand that Stellantis is keeping the term MOPAR alive for marketing; when MOPAR was a thing, the Jeep was AMC. I know there's a Chrysler engine in there now, and it has nothing to do with the AMC 304, or the other engines, but, to me, calling a Jeep a MOPAR is like calling a Jaguar a Motorcraft during the years it was owned by Ford.
Well mine was made by Chrysler at a Chrysler manufacturing plant.

Old June 10th, 2023, 10:29 AM

Well mine was made by Chrysler at a Chrysler manufacturing plant.

I have no objection to it being called a Chrysler. I don't agree with it being called a MOPAR, which is a customer bestowed term, anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter. All it really means is Chrysler Motor Parts, similar to Motorcraft or GM Parts.
Old June 10th, 2023, 10:33 AM

So my dumb *** got up, backed my Monte Carlo out, washed it, cleaned the tires, packed a cooler and caught a shelf in the door of my fridge and dumped it and detonated a bottle of beer. Now I really will need to clean the kitchen rug. Got most of the way to the car show, texted my buddy I'd be late, and he told me to check the date as it is tomorrow.

It was, so I wheeled around and went home. Good run for the car, it needs maybe a little freon in the AC, and I have the tiniest seep of a coolant leak at the thermostat housing, so I think I am ok.

I'll take the van to the show tomorrow instead.

I need to do mad yardwork today, let's see if I get any done. Found the head and spine and a lot of feathers of a hen turkey in the back yard. Something got her.
Old June 10th, 2023, 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=Koda;1503843]
I'll take the van to the show tomorrow instead.
[QUOTE]

Bad stroke of luck with the beer bottle, that sucks! If you're thinking of hitting that show tomorrow, you'd better wear your best rain gear and waterproof boots, it's gonna be a wet one!
Old June 10th, 2023, 01:35 PM

Wow, you have turkeys. Way cool.

I presently have 5 cottontail rabbits residing in the back yard. 2 adults and 3 young uns.

I found a second clutch of quail eggs this morning. We have several coveys that routinely show up in the back yard.

And there are way more lizards this summer than ever before.

Old June 10th, 2023, 01:56 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

While cycling this morning on Skeena Gap Road in North Georgia I pulled over at a summit to send a text. I flushed two wild turkey hens with their offspring that were hidden in the brush no more than 10 feet from me. I guess 15 or so very young poults took flight to the nearby woods while the two hens ran off clucking like crazy trying to bring everyone back together! It was a startling event for me, but nevertheless, a sight to behold.
Old June 10th, 2023, 04:03 PM
Always room for one more

Made the cookout today, it was a nice turnout. Several people flew in and the ramp was full. It was a sight. Glad I went.

I was so tired when I got home, I took a nap. Got nothing done. I don't care. I'm about to go home and go to bed.

Chrysler used to put stickers on the air cleaners and various other places. MOtor PARts I've always heard it was an acronym. Miscellaneous Old Parts Arranged Ridiculously.

Another early morning tomorrow. And I think I'll go in early on Monday for a couple hours of comp time. After that it's smooth sailing.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old June 10th, 2023, 07:16 PM

And there are way more lizards this summer than ever befo
Love the lizard pic Kenneth. I used to catch all kinds of reptiles as a boy, keep them for a couple days and then release them.
Old June 10th, 2023, 08:24 PM

If it rains tomorrow, that's fine. I ran my Stihl so hard I think it was gas starving while sideways. We took a tree down and some branches off my apple tree, too. Got the little push mower out, added oil then gas and proceeded to beat that thing like a rented mule. Other than oil getting in the chamber when it spent too long at an angle, I had no issue mowing my low area and all the other places where it is hard to get the rider. Mowed my building outline, repainted it, then weed whacked. Got on the riding mower with about an hour left of daylight and finished under the lights.

Only thing I did not do was hedge trim. This dead tree I dropped is just a trunk as the rest fell a few years ago. Poison ivy all over that thing. I pushed it onto the rocks of my ditch so I could mow. I'll get rid of it later.

I'll clean the inside of the house tomorrow if it rains all day. I bet it will. I'll go to this show with my van, if it does not.
Old June 10th, 2023, 08:31 PM

John those apple tree branches would be great for smoking in the grill.

Chris,
that particular lizard was hanging on to dear life after falling into the pool that was around 40 degrees. Took a bit to warm him up after rescuing him, but he apparently has survived and propagated as there are a LOT of them running around the yard now.

Pics of the rescued reptile.

Old June 10th, 2023, 08:35 PM

And just for fun, pics of a baby bunny rescued from the pool. I suspect the current bunnies are descendants. I saw on a nature show that rabbits stay very close to where they were born.

Old June 11th, 2023, 03:44 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Good turnout for double time this morning. And the lead just showed up with biscuits and donuts. Can't beat that.

Well good luck on your car shows guys, I'll be doing chores when I get out of here. Maybe some mowing, laundry, of course the Sunday Walmart trip.

Kenneth what makes all the critters fall into your pool? Do they just lean over for a drink and then topple in? A friend of mine in Florida has these big iguana's in her trees. When it gets cold they go dormant somehow and fall out of the trees. Thud.

Well okay hope everyone has a good day.

Old June 11th, 2023, 06:44 AM
Running On Empty

I've always enjoyed watching native/wild Iguanas in the Lesser Antilles Islands and countries of C. America & S. America. I think the neatest animal I've witnessed in the wild in C. America & S. America was the three-toed tree sloth. Really cool to watch them up close. The natives consider them a natural everyday occurrence but they're so cool to watch.
Old June 11th, 2023, 06:57 AM

Chris,
that particular lizard was hanging on to dear life after falling into the pool that was around 40 degrees. Took a bit to warm him up after rescuing him, but he apparently has survived and propagated as there are a LOT of them running around the yard now.
Kenneth - Glad you were able to save that cool lizard and the bunny. Those Western Jack Rabbits are so different than the species we have here in the Midwest. You showing us those creatures reminded me of another animal I always enjoyed seeing on my trips out there. Do you have many Road Runners around you? They seemed to be everywhere down south of Tucson where some my Mom's family lives.
Old June 11th, 2023, 07:25 AM

Good morning guys,

I had a great time at the Cruise-in at the local Burger Joint close to home that has previously been held at the Burger King near me. To my surprise, despite the change of venue, the Club who hosts the show must have really done a good job getting the word out the event was moving because it was packed, both with display cars and spectators. If you would like to check out some of the cars you can see them at this link:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...1/#post1504010

The rain did start here about 3-hours after I got home from the cruise last night, rained on and off thru the night, and we have light rain right now. The judged show that I wanted to attend today was officially canceled and rescheduled for August 13th. I got a text from the Organizer of that show last night letting me know of the change.

No big plans for today other than watching the rain fall, as the rain is supposed to continue throughout the day. We really, really needed this rain, it was getting super dry around here.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Old June 11th, 2023, 08:15 AM
Always room for one more

My favorite out of those pictures is the yellow 69 Barracuda.

We finished later than yesterday, a little after 10. I brought a couple rims with me to put in the sand blaster. Actually it's aluminum oxide. Does a wonderful job. Anyway, we're getting rain and I'd hate to get the clean rims all wet and have them start rusting again. I don't want to take the time to prime them here and wait for them to dry. We'll see. I could wipe them down with paper towels, they won't rust that bad.

Okay here's a question. If I poured concrete over my septic tank, could I drive over it and not have to worry about too much weight(the vehicle), or would the weight of the concrete be too much already?

Old June 11th, 2023, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
My favorite out of those pictures is the yellow 69 Barracuda.

Okay here's a question. If I poured concrete over my septic tank, could I drive over it and not have to worry about too much weight(the vehicle), or would the weight of the concrete be too much already?
Mike - I liked that Barracuda too. Guy never opened the engine bay so you could see what motor it had in it..

Is this septic tank non-functional now? I'm not a structural engineer, but I wouldn't think just pouring a slab over the top of where it is would hurt. I wouldn't then want to pull anything super heavy onto that slab like a DUKW! If you were just going to park something light on it it probably would be OK? Hopefully guys more knowledable than I am will weigh in.
Old June 11th, 2023, 09:22 AM
Running On Empty

Have any lanolin or linseed oil either spray or liquid? Coat the metal with either one or the other after blasting and rust won’t develop. Hell non-stick fake butter spray works, as long as it’s not petroleum based.
Old June 11th, 2023, 09:49 AM
Running On Empty

Several variables involved in mothballing a septic tank e.g.size, number of lids,vents, tank structure, soil, etc. For obvious reasons best practice is to crush it, then bury completely with sand, after some time (water infiltration will assist in eliminating voids of air pockets) you can then pour as much concrete as your heart desires with no issues of overload weight. Depends how thorough of a job you want. Concrete weighs 150 lbs/cubic foot. Extraordinarily heavy. The other option is to leave “as is” if no heavy vehicles/objects will overload the tank drive “around” the tank.
Old June 11th, 2023, 09:52 AM
Running On Empty

I guess my short answer would be do not pour concrete over the tank if you ever expect to drive over that concrete.
Old June 11th, 2023, 10:12 AM

Mike, I have no idear what happened to the guy. He went from Can I see it tomorrow to not returning phone calls.
I had to stop at the Varsity in Dawsonville on the way home to get my GQ ( grease quotient) 2 toasted pimiento chili cheese steaks with rings and fries

Last edited by Jamesbo; June 11th, 2023 at 10:19 AM.
Old June 11th, 2023, 11:36 AM

Mike,
I suspect the rabbit was cruising across the patio at night and went over the edge without realizing there was a big hole in the ground.

Chris,
my yard bunnies are Desert Cottontails. The Jackrabbits seem to stay in the wilderness areas.

A few summers ago a roadrunner would routinely make passes through the neighborhood and hang out in the shade, but he hasn’t been around in a while.

Old June 11th, 2023, 12:39 PM

Chris,
my yard bunnies are Desert Cottontails. The Jackrabbits seem to stay in the wilderness areas.

A few summers ago a roadrunner would routinely make passes through the neighborhood and hang out in the shade, but he hasn’t been around in a while.
Kenneth - Thanks for the info, I learned something, I never knew there was another species, other than the Jack Rabbit, that has much longer ears than the midwestern species. Those Road Runners are such cool birds, I always really enjoyed seeing them when I was out there.
Old June 11th, 2023, 01:05 PM

Went to show today. Was not intending to, the 8 hours of yardwork gave me a headache and I went back to sleep after alarm and taking a leak. Friend wanted to go, so I got the van, drove over to Boonville, and participated in about a 20 car show. Good disc jockey, good food, good time. Rain was coming so they ended early. They had top 25; 20 cars, van got #2 trophy of its life via same technicality as the first one.

Got caught in rain on way home. Parked it, went home, now for laundry and other things.

Last edited by Koda; June 11th, 2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old June 11th, 2023, 01:16 PM
Running On Empty

Been on scaffolding since 9AM.
Old June 11th, 2023, 01:37 PM

Went to show today. Was not intending to, the 8 hours of yardwork gave me a headache and I went back to sleep after alarm and taking a leak. Friend wanted to go, so I got the van, drove over to Boonville, and participated in about a 20 car show. Good disc jockey, good food, good time. Rain was coming so they ended early. They had top 25; 20 cars, van got #2 trophy of its life via same technicality as the first one.

Got caught in rain on way home. Parked it, went home, now for laundry and other things.
John - Glad you were able to get the Van out, but sorry you got caught in the rain. It's been raining all morning here. I'm glad the show I had hoped to go to today was canceled last night and rescheduled for August 13th.
Old June 11th, 2023, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Been on scaffolding since 9AM.
Norm - You've been hitting it pretty hard pardner!
Old June 11th, 2023, 01:55 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Park the VC at your club - No FOR SALE sign. Worked for me.
Old June 11th, 2023, 05:19 PM
Running On Empty

Received a call regarding the listing of my Indian Motorcycle on CL. Gentleman owns a 2016 Indian (Polaris) Springfield (which I have personally rode - nice bike). He wants to know if I'd sell the Indian Motorcycle leather jacket separately - he lives in Richmond, VA. I said sure. At one point I thought he said he'd take it, then he said he'd think about it a bit. I'm pretty sure he wants it. It's an original issue OEM Indian Motorcycle leather jacket w/ liner and sewn-in leather applique - a super nice jacket. I paid $520 it's in perfect condition told him I'd sell it to him $275 & he pays shipping. Maybe I'm selling it too low? I should have told him $400, maybe & he might have been a buyer.
Old June 11th, 2023, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Received a call regarding the listing of my Indian Motorcycle on CL. Gentleman owns a 2016 Indian (Polaris) Springfield (which I have personally rode - nice bike). He wants to know if I'd sell the Indian Motorcycle leather jacket separately - he lives in Richmond, VA. I said sure. At one point I thought he said he'd take it, then he said he'd think about it a bit. I'm pretty sure he wants it. It's an original issue OEM Indian Motorcycle leather jacket w/ liner and sewn-in leather applique - a super nice jacket. I paid $520 it's in perfect condition told him I'd sell it to him $275 & he pays shipping. Maybe I'm selling it too low? I should have told him $400, maybe & he might have been a buyer.
Norm - Of all the peripheral accessories you were offering up as included in the sale, the jacket is what really caught my eye. It's a steal at $275 and he would be foolish not to scoop it up for that price if he is really interested. I am getting closer and closer with each passing day to getting out of the hobby myself. Just not feeling it, plus several fatal crashes around here recently have me thinking more and more about my own mortality!
Old June 11th, 2023, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Of all the peripheral accessories you were offering up as included in the sale, the jacket is what really caught my eye. It's a steal at $275 and he would be foolish not to scoop it up for that price if he is really interested. I am getting closer and closer with each passing day to getting out of the hobby myself. Just not feeling it, plus several fatal crashes around here recently have me thinking more and more about my own mortality!
I'm not feeling mortality, but I am feeling time. I am not sure how many new hobbies I want to pick up; already have too many cars.
Old June 11th, 2023, 06:26 PM

I'm not feeling mortality, but I am feeling time. I am not sure how many new hobbies I want to pick up; already have too many cars.
John - These days I am having much more fun with my car than I am with my motorcycles. Over the past 2-years I've seen at least 3 cars I was seriously interested in, one a 1970 W-30, that I could have afforded, but just don't have the space for, without either renting space or getting rid of both bikes. I am very close to starting to test the waters on selling my bikes to make space for a 2nd car.