The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2023, 01:24 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by fun71
i thought you were in sc?
nc
Old July 4th, 2023, 01:28 PM
Running On Empty

Tomorrow is going to be a near repeat of today. I'm ~3,000' from the Atlantic Ocean. So, it's even a tad more humid here than this NWS forecast map illustrates (Morehead City, NC). Morehead City NWS Station is ~15 miles inland from my house. This morning @ 5AM the RH was 99%.
It's beginning to taper off just a tad...it's still very oppressive. A/C is wonderful. I keep it at 78°F during the day and it feels like I'm freezing to death. I turn it down to 74° at night.

Old July 4th, 2023, 01:59 PM
Running On Empty

H.I. expected to be 100°F+ for at least the next 4-5 days. Note each morning @ 0600 the R.H. = 100%. It's like walking outdoors directly into the ocean but you're on land - sweltering.

Old July 4th, 2023, 02:23 PM

Norm - That's brutal, you're sweating the second you walk out the door!
Old July 4th, 2023, 05:00 PM

Growing up on the Gulf Coast we sweated while in the shower. There was no escape from the humidity, it was just a fact of life. If you never lived anywhere else you just didn’t know there was anything different.

We didn’t have AC in school, just an array of ceiling fans. In elementary school I recall 4 rows of 4 fans and the windows open. It was hot and humid but we didn’t know anything else so it was just the way it was. These days school would be shut down if the AC failed. Buncha wimps.

Last edited by Fun71; July 4th, 2023 at 05:07 PM.
Old July 4th, 2023, 06:01 PM

Best ceiling fan system I ever saw had a truss frame with at least 20 fans. Each fan was a shaft and pulley and fan blades, and a 4 inch belt ran around them all to a large motor in the corner.
Old July 4th, 2023, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Best ceiling fan system I ever saw had a truss frame with at least 20 fans. Each fan was a shaft and pulley and fan blades, and a 4 inch belt ran around them all to a large motor in the corner.
When I worked in the Kellogg's factory during the summers of '77 - '81, they had similar fan systems throughout the plant. There was no A/C, and due to health regulations (bugs, dust, etc.) there were no windows. With cooking, ovens, and driers going 24/7, we would have died in there without those fans. The only saving grace was the Michigan summers were usually only mid-80's.
Old July 4th, 2023, 10:09 PM

Well it’s 10 pm and the barrage of fireworks is continuous. Neither dog wants to go outside. Dunno how long it will be until they’ll go out to take a leak.
Old July 5th, 2023, 03:52 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
John - Interesting. I can't recall where it was, but while residing in Florida for five years I was someplace (I think it was a restaurant) & I saw something very similar. IIRC, it was an old school large family-type restaurant.
Old July 5th, 2023, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Well it’s 10 pm and the barrage of fireworks is continuous. Neither dog wants to go outside. Dunno how long it will be until they’ll go out to take a leak.
Kenneth - We had a steady barrage from 8:30 until 11:00. Monty did surprisingly well. For the most part he didn't shiver/shake, excessively pant, or run off to hide. He just laid close to my side all evening. We were ecstatic he did so well and didn't seem to be suffering like he has in the past. Now if he could just get over the heavy thunderstorms. Nothing ever phases Maggie, she's totally chill.
Old July 5th, 2023, 12:35 PM

Fireworks going off 'til midnight, not good when I get up at 4:30.
Old July 5th, 2023, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
John - Interesting. I can't recall where it was, but while residing in Florida for five years I was someplace (I think it was a restaurant) & I saw something very similar. IIRC, it was an old school large family-type restaurant.
The folks in LaValle Wi that built my kitchen cabinets 10 or so years back utilized the "Line Shaft" system for their wood working tools similar to this set up.
Neat stuff. Old tech at efficient production. Kinda wish we could get back to basics someday... nah!

Old July 5th, 2023, 04:49 PM
Running On Empty

Absolutely love it!

Originally Posted by otto72
The folks in LaValle Wi that built my kitchen cabinets 10 or so years back utilized the "Line Shaft" system for their wood working tools similar to this set up.
Neat stuff. Old tech at efficient production. Kinda wish we could get back to basics someday... nah!

https://youtu.be/OWwQ6TPui5I
Old July 5th, 2023, 05:16 PM

The folks that had the shop could not utilize electricity but gas motors are fair game. Yoder Bauntrager and sons...and sons...and sons ,the youngest lil feller was only 6 or 8 and was so proud he could help in the shop and use some of the equipment. Yea neat stuff. Turned out some pretty solid wood cabinets 1/2 the cost twice the quality, of box store mass produced pressed wood chips.
Old July 6th, 2023, 03:03 AM

Mike, According to FB its Sandys daughter's birthday
Old July 6th, 2023, 03:40 AM
Always room for one more

Wasn't it around this time we lost Sandy? Geez I can't even remember how many years. I've never seen anything about her car, I know Larry kept it quite awhile anyway. What's new with the daughter, I don't remember her name.

Chris in your show pics I see you are parked next to Starsky and Hutch. Was Huggy Bear with them? I only remember seeing Huggy in a car one time, it was a 56 Cadillac convertible.

Tiger has decided I have too much money. He hasn't been feeling good really for the last couple weeks. So it's off to the vet this afternoon. I'm on the second tier of pricing; I actually like my animal. Also I'll have the I haven't been there in a while surcharge.

Old July 6th, 2023, 03:58 AM

--Went swimming with my phone in trunks pocket- Yep dumb... It's a goner, I'm pretty sure. Tried to dry it out with a shop vac, fan blowing on it all night, rice and all I managed to do was ruin the shop vac- let the smoke out of the motor... Well I decided to buy another refurbished one off amazon- 118 bucks A42 Samsung. I didn't want to go to ATT and get a " free" phone for a extra $50 a month for a year or 2 or whatever. So I am a oldschool guy who hardly uses his phone- yeah right- Amazing how much it gets used!
--! Finally got 09 F150 to be able to stop and drove long enough to see why engine runs so rough. Zero compression in cyl 3. Hooked up air to it and blowing out exhaust- UGH. I was sure I tried all the valves by pouring gas in the upside down cylinders when on bench. So it is coming back apart, at least engine is staying in truck this time. Now I have to find someone who does engine machine shop work. Get the right cylinder head a valve job. This truck hates me...
-- I was surprised to see that Buddy doesn't even care about fireworks, some of the big bangs he jumps some is all. We have a pretty good sized Amish community around here also. From what I have seen it is OK for them to use electricity from a generator, but not from the grid. OK for them to ride in a car, but not to drive it... I find them very interesting, I would like to get a book and read up on their beliefs.
Old July 6th, 2023, 05:28 AM

Mike Niki Mo
Old July 6th, 2023, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Wasn't it around this time we lost Sandy? Geez I can't even remember how many years. I've never seen anything about her car, I know Larry kept it quite awhile anyway. What's new with the daughter, I don't remember her name.

Chris in your show pics I see you are parked next to Starsky and Hutch. Was Huggy Bear with them? I only remember seeing Huggy in a car one time, it was a 56 Cadillac convertible.

Tiger has decided I have too much money. He hasn't been feeling good really for the last couple weeks. So it's off to the vet this afternoon. I'm on the second tier of pricing; I actually like my animal. Also I'll have the I haven't been there in a while surcharge.
Mike - The guy that had the Starsky and Hutch car was a nice guy, former police officer. I didn't see Huggy Bear though. Did you take a look at the thread with all the pics or did you notice the Starsky and Hutch car from the one overview pic I put on this thread? If you looked at the thread with all the pics, did you see the light yellow '50 Dodge Wayfarer? I had never seen one of those before, cool car.

I hope Tiger is OK, let us know what the vet says.
Old July 6th, 2023, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
--Went swimming with my phone in trunks pocket- Yep dumb...
Reminds me of the last time I destroyed one of mine, let it fall out of my pocket on the motorcycle, and it got run over one or more times before I could get back to it. Nothing was recoverable. Needless to say, I do not put it in my pocket anymore when I'm on the bike, it goes in the saddlebag.
Old July 6th, 2023, 07:17 AM

Mike I think you are right because I remember sending her some peaches. I'd love to think she enjoyed them before leaving us.
Old July 6th, 2023, 09:28 AM
Always room for one more

I remember now, Sandy always called her Nicole. She and Adrian were best buds. I wonder how the office is doing without her there to control the space heaters.

Chris I just saw the big picture and saw S&H tucked in behind your car. Did the owner tell you if it was an official Ford-built car or one he painted up himself.

Greg here is a silly story about the "Amish." Actually these people were most likely Mennonite because they showed up in a car. I was with my Mom at Cracker Barrel one time, it happened to be Halloween. All the servers and store staff were dressed up and in come these Mennonite people. The cashier, who was always a little flakey, saw them and said, wow you guys are really convincing! The people just gave her the deer in the headlights look.

We had pizza for lunch, the whole shop. It was a thank you for all our hard work. Which is funny because our lead keeps telling us how we need to work harder. We're in a good place, got a few more wheels to sign then we should be done. I hope we get out a few minutes early, so I can get home to Tiger and get to the vet.

Old July 6th, 2023, 09:53 AM

Chris I just saw the big picture and saw S&H tucked in behind your car. Did the owner tell you if it was an official Ford-built car or one he painted up himself.
Mike - Sorry, I didn't ask, he didn't say, and he didn't have any show sign or other documentation with the car. He must not get it out much though, I'd never seen it before at any other show or cruise-in and you know how much I get out.
Old July 6th, 2023, 11:37 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Check your thread for R12. I provided you w/ several sellers. Ask Mike if he'll help you out on the Stockbridge sale.
Old July 6th, 2023, 12:43 PM

Jim - Check your thread for R12. I provided you w/ several sellers. Ask Mike if he'll help you out on the Stockbridge sale.
Thanks Norm Do you know how much I need
Old July 6th, 2023, 12:53 PM

Line shaft video was interesting, but I'm gonna be a stick in the mud. An OSHA nightmare, no machine guarding, a minor wearing long sleeves while engaging power equipment, the guy adjusting the band saw while it was running, and no safety glasses.The Amish (with the same last name of Bauntrager) did my roof, and we have a Yoder in these parts that does roofs as well.
our lead keeps telling us how we need to work harder
So he can get a bigger bonus. Sent a phone through the wash and dry a couple of years ago, opened it up and sat it in the sun on the window sill. That worked until I did it a second time!
Old July 6th, 2023, 12:55 PM

I remember sending her some peaches. I'd love to think she enjoyed them before leaving us.
I would like to think so as well. Chris, I missed your photo link, so I went back and found it. Nice pics.

Last edited by 1969w3155; July 6th, 2023 at 01:03 PM.
Old July 6th, 2023, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, I missed your photo link, so I went back and found it. Nice pics.
Thanks Dan, glad you enjoyed them!
Old July 6th, 2023, 01:56 PM

Mystery solved on the F150. When engine was still on stand, heads were on but not intake yet, I installed the spark plugs. One of them broke. I heard it crunch. I could have turned engine over and removed broken plug- gravity would have made the broken porcelain fall on floor... Or after removing plug and noticing some of porcelain was missing I should have removed head and made sure it wasn't inside cylinder.... But NO, I just put in a new plug. SO NOW I had to remove head while in truck!! WOW a lesson learned. The chunk of porcelain had rattled around scarring the head and piston and messing up exhaust valve and seat. GEEZ!!!!
Old July 6th, 2023, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Line shaft video was interesting, but I'm gonna be a stick in the mud. An OSHA nightmare, no machine guarding, a minor wearing long sleeves while engaging power equipment, the guy adjusting the band saw while it was running, and no safety glasses.The Amish (with the same last name of Bauntrager) did my roof, and we have a Yoder in these parts that does roofs as well. So he can get a bigger bonus. Sent a phone through the wash and dry a couple of years ago, opened it up and sat it in the sun on the window sill. That worked until I did it a second time!
Everyone romanticizes the old days, but there were a lot of people who lost limbs, and farm families had a huge amount of kids because they knew they would lose 50% to various childhood ailments that were deadly at the time.
Old July 6th, 2023, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Norm we sell R12 in Stockbridge? Funny, the government, in their infinite wisdom, says freon is bad for the earth, and they are going to make us stop making it, IN 10 YEARS. So does that mean it won't really be bad for earth until 10 years? Which gave the freon makers time to make a lot of it and stockpile it. Brilliant. Not illegal to use, illegal to make. So after the ban, prices skyrocketed. Now what, 20 years after that it's still readily available. My 87 Cadillac and my 90 G20 still have freon in their systems. I really don't want to change them out.

Chris I went and looked at the pictures. That Dodge is a honey. The Striped Tomato would be more correct with blackwalls.

So I'm not sure I'm happy with the outcome at the vet. Two things a dog does are scratch and poop. He didn't know what to do about the scratching or the diarrhea. He thinks the stomach is upset and gave me some stuff to put on Tiger's food for a month. He said to give him Zertec for the scratching. Neither idea sounded like he had a lot of confidence in himself. I hate this guy. The only reason I saw him was because there was an office full of stupid people not tending to their pets and we just needed to get away from it all.

Okay time for MASH.

Old July 6th, 2023, 03:38 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Thanks Norm Do you know how much I need
Jim - No. Most likely somewhere around two cans.
Old July 6th, 2023, 03:39 PM
Running On Empty

Norm we sell R12 in Stockbridge?
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/f...629103177.html
Old July 6th, 2023, 03:56 PM

Chris I went and looked at the pictures. That Dodge is a honey. The Striped Tomato would be more correct with blackwalls.
Mike - I sure hope Tiger gets feeling better. It's hard when your pet has a problem and you really don't know what to do for them and you don't have much confidence in the vet.

Ya, I don't have a ton of interest in the 40's and early 50's cars, but I sure liked the looks of that Dodge. How's your Chrysler doing, have you had it out at all? I love that car!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 6th, 2023 at 05:10 PM.
Old July 6th, 2023, 03:58 PM

Mike,
Our older dog had / has intestinal issues so the vet recommended hydrolized protein dog food. When we got the young 'un he had bad runs and the pet store clerk suggested trying grain free dog food, which we did. That greatly reduced the severity of the runs. Then a few years later after an "incident" the vet recommended we put him on the hydrolized protein dog food as well, and that completely cleared up his runny poo. Now that I'm typing this, it occurred to me that the itchiness and intestinal issues may both be related to diet. Many dogs have some level of allergic reaction to grains in food, and that could cause both of Tigers afflictions.
Old July 6th, 2023, 06:48 PM

My mother's beagle will get the ***** if she gives her too much chicken or too much veggies. That beagle lives like a queen.
Old July 7th, 2023, 04:49 AM
Always room for one more

Oh Kenneth I hope you haven't touched on something. I've been giving Tiger Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain meat with Life Bits since I've had him. Expensive stuff. A couple months ago they sent me a thing saying they were switching the recipe and adding Wholesome Grains. I suspect they did this to reduce their costs. I'm going to ask the vet(a different one) if there's a test to find out if he's allergic to grains. On your suggestion a while ago, I started giving him fish oil. It helped him instantly. But the scratching is back and the fish oil isn't helping, though I still give it to him.

Chris I haven't touched the Imperial. I need to call and get the new tires put on. Then I think I will drive it quite a bit. I need to get the tires put on the Chevy. I'm going to drive it a lot. In fact I may do that at break time.

Oh remember I said I'd have a surcharge for not being at the vet in a while? I wasn't far off. They had signs everywhere saying starting May 1 they implemented a surcharge on any payment that wasn't cash. What they should have said was we've found another way to fleece you.

We started off good at work but have hit a lull. I signed 53 wheels yesterday, a pretty good showing. My wall guy is new but he's a keeper.

Old July 7th, 2023, 05:37 AM

Vista cruiser up date. [ the fun of selling cars] One gent brought his wife [2 hours] and drove it and said Ill call ya back and make you an offer....................... Crickets....................... Today a guy had to tell me every Oldsmobile he ever owned in the last 50 years and [of course] want more pics Norm I envy your sale
Old July 7th, 2023, 05:53 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm I envy your sale
Jim - Yeah, I fell into that one. No advertising, no tire kickers.
Old July 7th, 2023, 06:17 AM

Jim - Yeah, I fell into that one. No advertising, no tire kickers.
Success need no alibies failure accepts no excuses