The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2023, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
17 consecutive days of 110+ and still counting.
FUBAR, x17! 🤪
Old July 17th, 2023, 09:05 AM

Norm They say comes in 3's. Now bath vanity is leaking
kinda like under dash work
Old July 17th, 2023, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm They say comes in 3's. Now bath vanity is leaking
kinda like under dash work
The joys of home ownership . . . that just sucks!
Old July 17th, 2023, 11:46 AM

Plumbing update Kitchen I will NEV ER try Drano again. I wasted alot of time with plunger and removing Pea traps to run snake down. A friend told me about Liquid Fire Worked in 10 Minutes Bath vanity I thought the Supply line had gone Tango Uniform but unfortunately, I need a new fixture. Looks like the well water done ate it up Note to self NEVER get down under a vanity without a plan of how to get back out
Old July 17th, 2023, 12:04 PM

Jim - Glad you were able to get one problem solved. Good luck swapping out the faucet. Last time I was under the kitchen sink swapping out the disposal I hit my damn head twice, had a knot in the front and the back. Under sinks is No Man's Land!
Old July 17th, 2023, 12:54 PM

Chris thanks for remind me, I can take the pool noodle I put on the tooth of my drop top hood tooth and duct tape it to the bottom of the vanity
Old July 17th, 2023, 01:16 PM

Chris thanks for remind me, I can take the pool noodle I put on the tooth of my drop top hood tooth and duct tape it to the bottom of the vanity
That's a damn good idea!
Old July 17th, 2023, 01:42 PM

Plumbing update Kitchen I will NEV ER try Drano again. I wasted alot of time with plunger and removing Pea traps to run snake down. A friend told me about Liquid Fire Worked in 10 Minutes Bath vanity I thought the Supply line had gone Tango Uniform but unfortunately, I need a new fixture. Looks like the well water done ate it up Note to self NEVER get down under a vanity without a plan of how to get back out
I always swore by This **** Really Works Drain Cleaner (or similar name)
Old July 17th, 2023, 01:44 PM

Actually called Instant Power, Guaranteed to Work.
Old July 17th, 2023, 02:31 PM
Running On Empty

I routinely (2-3 times/week) flush 1/3 cup 100% Lye (NaOH=Sodium Hydroxide) down kitchen drains. If I'm out of Lye, I flush one cup of common household bleach (NaOCl=Sodium Hypochlorite) down the drains. Any product employed for drains will always contain NaOH as the first ingredient. They stopped selling original Red Devil Lye at the consumer level. The original contained small pellets of K (Potassium). Potassium operates as the catalyst to create an INTENSE nearly instantaneous significant amount of heat. Not sure whey they stopped selling it. Most likely because people didn't know how to use it.
Old July 17th, 2023, 02:51 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Beware - If one is on a septic system flushing excessive amounts of bleach, lye, drain cleaners, oven cleaners, etc. down the drain can leave a septic system and leach fields exhausted because it kills off the beneficial bacteria necessary to have a healthy, functioning system. Frequent use of lye especially is harmful and amounts in excess of ~ 0.50 ounce can expose septic systems to significant harm.
Old July 17th, 2023, 02:57 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by tnswt
Beware - If one is on a septic system flushing excessive amounts of bleach, lye, drain cleaners, oven cleaners, etc. down the drain can leave a septic system and leach fields exhausted because it kills off the beneficial bacteria necessary to have a healthy, functioning system. Frequent use of lye especially is harmful and amounts in excess of ~ 0.50 ounce can expose septic systems to significant harm.
Those are valid points for septic systems.
Old July 18th, 2023, 03:34 AM

Norm Question Do you do any weight exercises to improve your golf game? I have found as I get longer in the tooth, my strength is departing. Have you ever tried dumb bells, ropes or heavy [weighted clubs] or are you just a natural brick/block tossing brute
Old July 18th, 2023, 07:18 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - No weight exercises.
Old July 18th, 2023, 03:47 PM

Norm Question Do you do any weight exercises to improve your golf game? I have found as I get longer in the tooth, my strength is departing. Have you ever tried dumb bells, ropes or heavy [weighted clubs] or are you just a natural brick/block tossing brute
Jim - As someone that has been religiously weight training and conditioning for +50-years, I feel obligated to weigh in on this one. I'm not a trained sports physiologist, but I do know a thing or two.

Here's my thoughts:
1. There's a reason why the vast majority of modern pro golfers include a regimen of weight training, flexibility exercises, and cardio conditioning in their training regimens. The reason being it improves their club speed and stamina.

2. Whether it improves your golf game or not, a regular regimen consisting of full body weight training or other exercises for upper body, core (mid-section), and legs will serve you well the rest of your life. The training will make you more stable and less susceptible to falls when walking, make you less prone to loss of bone mass, and increase your metabolism.

3. A regimenr of weight training 3-days a week, every other day, for an hour or hour and a half, would be ideal. Also, some form of cardio exercise 3-days a week for at least a half hour on the days in between your weight/strengthing training days.

4. You will thank me later if you start this now, you're never too old to do something good for yourself. Start slow and build-up a little at a time. I wish I could tell you what type of exercises and/or weight training are the most beneficial to strengthen the muscles that are involved in the golf swing, but I'm sure you can find info online. Also, it's not expensive to build yourself a mini home gym once you decide what regimen you what to do. That's what I did when I retired and lost access to our nice gym at work.

Just my 2-cents! If I can help with anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 18th, 2023 at 04:32 PM.
Old July 18th, 2023, 07:03 PM

Death to All but Metal!

I found these little asshats, they were in the window framing, not in the soffet. They are now dead, as is their home. That's what you get for stinging me.
Old July 18th, 2023, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Death to All but Metal!

I found these little asshats, they were in the window framing, not in the soffet. They are now dead, as is their home. That's what you get for stinging me.
Glad you got the little bastards! Hate those things!
Old July 18th, 2023, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Death to All but Metal!
Party on, dude!
Old July 18th, 2023, 10:26 PM

19 and still counting.

Old July 19th, 2023, 03:50 AM

Chris, Tanks I'll give it a try between my plumbing job[s]
Old July 19th, 2023, 04:04 AM
Running On Empty

Last night I happened to be cruising the Internet & reviewed some historical weather information. The "supposed" hottest temperature ever recorded on our little globe was 134°F (Death Valley, CA); but, meteorologists have since then debunked that event as human error since data does not support the temperature recorded. None-the-less, the second highest temperature recorded is 130°F at the same place, Death Valley, CA.
Old July 19th, 2023, 01:27 PM

Good afternoon guys,

Well, we finally got some measurable rain last night into the early morning, and boy did we need it. My rain gauge read about 1.75". It did not come without a cost. The rain had associated lightning/thunder on and off all night. Monty was mess and I don't think either my wife or I got more than a couple hours of sleep. The only one that got much was Maggie and she can sleep through a train wreck.

Between the lack of sleep, working out, and then mowing/trimming I'm spent. Should sleep good tonight. There are no car shows this coming weekend, at least locally. There are 2 cruise-ins, one Friday evening and one Saturday evening, and I'll probably make it to at least one weather permitting. I'm trying to get my wife to decide on something she would like to go do on Saturday or Sunday. She's always so supportive of my car events, I'd like to take her to do something she'd enjoy. However, she's going gangbusters on multiple pieces of furniture and it's hard to drag her away from it when she's "in the zone". Oh well, I tried, maybe she'll decide she needs a break and will let me know something she'd like to do???

Hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening!
Old July 19th, 2023, 01:58 PM

Oh joy, yet another record.

Old July 19th, 2023, 02:16 PM

Oh joy, yet another record.
Man, that just ain't right!
Old July 19th, 2023, 02:24 PM
Jeff

The adventures of having a place "up north", volume 633:

Mini split system installed on Monday. Everything works great. But... they did not install on the elevated stand per my contract, and the panel where the line sets go in is dented. Called the company today, spoke to the office manager. Waiting for a call back on when this will be remedied.

Had a retired electrician that lives down the street come over and wire up my garage with a 220 receptacle, so that I can hook up a dryer out there (no room inside the cottage). When the garage was built in the mid-90's, they wired it up incorrectly with no ground coming in. The "electrician" that did the work in the mid-90's didn't do his damn job right. At any rate, the guy I had here today assured me that everything is safe, but at some point, I should run new wiring from the house to the garage, and have the house panel redone. I knew I would have to do this eventually when I'm retired and start gutting the interior to get rid of all this ***** paneling, because most of the cottage itself is ungrounded two wire. It's just ridiculous when people don't do jobs correctly. How the F did it pass inspection?? Oh, that's right... probably didn't even pull permits.
Old July 19th, 2023, 04:17 PM

19 and still counting.

Hang in there Kenneth - Holy crap
Spoke with a co-worker today that is out in phoenix for the weekend. I asked how the heat compared to the Wisco 100deg heat and his first response was the wind or breeze in most cases Wisco style can have a cooling effect, not so much with the wind and heat you are dealing with "blast furnace" takes a lot out of everyone.

Sounds like the heat dome is making a move out of your area and heading... north east/ midwest area so you may get a break mid/late next week.

This is a link for NOAA I have been looking at. Maybe you already use it. I like to go to their "MobileWeather" link then "Forecast Discussion" to see what the tech's are suggesting for the near future. Interesting and I think quite a well done.https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...4&lon=-112.074

Old July 19th, 2023, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
The adventures of having a place "up north", volume 633:

Mini split system installed on Monday. Everything works great. But... they did not install on the elevated stand per my contract, and the panel where the line sets go in is dented. Called the company today, spoke to the office manager. Waiting for a call back on when this will be remedied.

Had a retired electrician that lives down the street come over and wire up my garage with a 220 receptacle, so that I can hook up a dryer out there (no room inside the cottage). When the garage was built in the mid-90's, they wired it up incorrectly with no ground coming in. The "electrician" that did the work in the mid-90's didn't do his damn job right. At any rate, the guy I had here today assured me that everything is safe, but at some point, I should run new wiring from the house to the garage, and have the house panel redone. I knew I would have to do this eventually when I'm retired and start gutting the interior to get rid of all this ***** paneling, because most of the cottage itself is ungrounded two wire. It's just ridiculous when people don't do jobs correctly. How the F did it pass inspection?? Oh, that's right... probably didn't even pull permits.
Weezer- Ask your retired electrician the difference between a grounded conductor and a grounding conductor, if you even get get the slightest deer in the head light look... spend the money for a different person.

Old July 19th, 2023, 06:29 PM

Norm, did the tornado hit in your area? Hopefully it missed you.
Old July 19th, 2023, 07:04 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - I'll have to see what's up. I heard there was a front moving through, I've been seeing lightning and hearing thunder the past 30 minutes. Le me check it out. Thanks for thinking of me.
Old July 19th, 2023, 07:11 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - I checked it out. Nash County - East of Raleigh which is about 2.5 hrs North of me. Looks like it did some damage. Thanks again for thinking about me. There are numerous pop-up storms occurring all around me at the moment. One appears to be a likely tornado candidate in ~2 hours.

Old July 19th, 2023, 07:41 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by otto72
Weezer- Ask your retired electrician the difference between a grounded conductor and a grounding conductor, if you even get get the slightest deer in the head light look... spend the money for a different person.
To be honest, I may have misstated what the electrician explained to me today. When we bought the place in 2014, the inspector noted something about the main panel that I had forgotten about until today, so I need to dig up the inspection report to see what it was. As previously mentioned, when this place gets stripped down to the studs (on a room by room basis, not all at once), I will rewire. It will be a combination of me pulling wires, and then hiring an electrician to come in and do the panel work. I view working on that as something worth paying a licensed professional to do, and then have an inspector come and sign off.
Old July 19th, 2023, 08:16 PM
Running On Empty

Think I'll shut down the PC for the night as isolated storms are becoming more frequent w/ significant lightning & I don't fancy my small surge protector is capable of handling a BIG ONE. Lights are flickering on occasion. There was a time I owned this monster APC power conditioning, battery backup power surge protector when I ran five large physical hardware servers running Windows Hyper-V - each server running ~4-5 Windows Hyper-V server s/w and a half dozen clients. I was running ~16-20 Hyper-V server (at the time Windows Server 2012) environments. Maintaining that APC tower was costly (along w/ five physical servers). The power supply in that APC tower provided enough time I could cleanly shut down my network environment. Later.
Old July 20th, 2023, 02:14 AM

I was looking fer sum fresh raison bread but found walnut cranberry bread ta make sum ice cream french toast.Thought I might step it up a little with sum sliced bananas

Last edited by Jamesbo; July 20th, 2023 at 02:16 AM.
Old July 20th, 2023, 03:44 AM
Running On Empty

Go for it, Jim.
Old July 20th, 2023, 05:45 AM

Looks delicious Jim! 😋
Old July 20th, 2023, 07:40 AM

I was just reading an article about creepy-crawlers that like to try and get indoors into your home during extreme heat. Despite living in Missouri for 40-yrs now, I never knew we had Scorpians. Apparently the Striped Bark Scorpian ranges through most of the southern half of the state, including our County. I have never seen one, and don't care to. Their sting is venomous, but only comparable to a bee or wasp. Learned something new!

Old July 20th, 2023, 09:03 AM
Always room for one more

I used to see scorpions in my house when I lived on the other side of the lake. My dog would try to eat them. Funny little critters, they weren't but an inch or so long, and if they ran too fast all at once they would die. Seems they were all beige colored. Haven't seen any at my house now or Mom's house the whole time I was there.

Gonna be hot today. Supposed to tie for the hottest day so far this year. That's going to be around 96. I feel like a whiner at temps such as that, since Kenneth far outstrips that.

Taking Mom to the dentist this afternoon after work. Then to get ready for some company that's coming this weekend.

Old July 20th, 2023, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Taking Mom to the dentist this afternoon after work. Then to get ready for some company that's coming this weekend.
Mike - Hadn't heard from you much in awhile, and was hoping you were doing ok and pretty much over the cellulitis. Hope you have a nice time with your visitors over the weekend!
Old July 20th, 2023, 09:53 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks Chris. I'm still around, running in the background as it were. The cellulitis is all but gone. I'm done with the medicine. No pain. Feel pretty good. My friend that's coming this weekend was supposed to come last weekend. We're going to move cars around and change oil and eat Hershey bars. Not necessarily in that order. Oh and go to Awful house.

Old July 20th, 2023, 12:43 PM

Well, the month long wait from when I submitted Monty and Maggie's picture in our local Paper's Pet Photo Contest ended today. Their picture did not place in the Top 3, but at least it got in the paper and they are now celebrities. We already knew they were Rock Stars!