The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2024, 01:44 PM

Hi guys,
Hope everyone is having a great day! Partly sunny and 80° here today, but we're in the path of severe weather later tonight with threat of tornadoes and hail. Even just strong storms will not make for an enjoyable evening if Monty is having a meltdown.

Well, it's started, Regular gas is up to $3.50/gal here now and Premium is $4.20. Why, because they can, the bastards have us by the *****! Probably even worse where some of you guys are, our prices are usually some of the lower ones across the country, but it doesn't make it any more palatable.

Have a great evening.
Old April 1st, 2024, 02:03 PM

Norm you are needed on the get rid of cable thread
Old April 1st, 2024, 03:27 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I made a cameo appearance.
Old April 1st, 2024, 03:36 PM

It’s raining again. This morning at 3am it started coming down so hard it woke me up. I thought it was over and done this afternoon, but noooooo, it rained like mad all over my backyard project.
Old April 1st, 2024, 03:52 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got up at 4 this morning and just wasn't feeling it. Headache, fatigue, coughing, no way I was going to work and feel miserable all day. I'll probably feel miserable all day tomorrow, but I can't spend a lot of time taking off for allergies. This yellow pollen really does a number on me.

Kenneth are you Supertramp?

Chris last time I was past a gas station gas was 3.17 . It needs to go down, not up. It used to be down. Way down. Sorry Jamesbo.

Think I'll forego MASH tonight and hit the sack early. Hope everyone survived April Fool's Day.

Old April 1st, 2024, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Hi guys,
Hope everyone is having a great day! Partly sunny and 80° here today, but we're in the path of severe weather later tonight with threat of tornadoes and hail. Even just strong storms will not make for an enjoyable evening if Monty is having a meltdown.

Well, it's started, Regular gas is up to $3.50/gal here now and Premium is $4.20. Why, because they can, the bastards have us by the *****! Probably even worse where some of you guys are, our prices are usually some of the lower ones across the country, but it doesn't make it any more palatable.

Have a great evening.
I have heard about the +$4 per Gal of gas
My answer is plain. I will do my part and not turn my startitup key. I hope this should help let the poor companies struggling with profits.
Old April 1st, 2024, 07:42 PM

Chris, I figured that you might be in for some nasty weather whilst watching the weather channel earlier. Just sprinkles for us. Gas here is in the 3.60+ range, and the price of crude has been going up. (CNBC ticker).
Old April 1st, 2024, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Kenneth are you Supertramp?
More like Boomtown Rats.

I don’t like Mondays, for those unfamiliar with the reference.
Old April 1st, 2024, 08:00 PM

I don’t like Mondays
Heh, heh. Long time since I heard the song.
Old April 1st, 2024, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, I figured that you might be in for some nasty weather whilst watching the weather channel earlier.
Just light rain so far. The ugly part of the front is supposed to get here between midnight and 1. Hoping it's not as ugly as the last one we had!
Old April 2nd, 2024, 04:37 AM
Running On Empty

Lawn needs serious cutting but looking at the amount of pollen everywhere keeping an eyelid surgical wound free from dust, pollen, bacteria, viruses & fungal/mold spores w/ moderate wind makes this decision easy. No shipping confirmation for the GORILLA-LIFT.
Old April 2nd, 2024, 06:45 AM
Running On Empty

I sent a very friendly/favorable e-mail to the company I purchased the GORILLA LIFT pertaining to payment & shipment. We'll see...
Old April 2nd, 2024, 07:16 AM

Good morning guys,

Weatherman got the timing right, about 1am was the worst of it. Woke me up, wife and dogs were still up and watching weather on the local news. Worst of it in the StL area went about 15-miles both north and south of us, the line was weaker that went directly over the top of us and we just got high winds and heavy rain. I have not heard of any tornado confirmations yet.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old April 2nd, 2024, 07:18 AM

Norm - Good call on holding off on the mowing, not worth the chance of infection for sure. Hope they get your Gorilla lift on it's way to you soon.
Old April 2nd, 2024, 10:28 AM
Running On Empty

They have until tomorrow same time to respond to my e-mail...

Old April 2nd, 2024, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
They have until tomorrow same time to respond to my e-mail...
Good for you, hopefully they'll respond and it will ship shortly. Good luck!
Old April 2nd, 2024, 12:06 PM
Running On Empty

Good for you, hopefully they'll respond and it will ship shortly. Good luck!
Remain with www.classicoldsmobile.com throughout the day, each and every day, as we update this unfolding story.
Old April 2nd, 2024, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by vintage chief
remain with www.classicoldsmobile.com throughout the day, each and every day, as we update this unfolding story.
lmao 🤣
Old April 2nd, 2024, 03:38 PM
Running On Empty

Developing story...follow www.classicoldsmobile.com/The *NEW* Good Morning Thread! for up-to-date news/reports.

Spam?

Mike these are really handy on a small trailer https://moviescrip.com/product/goril...27814a8aa77c0d
Old April 2nd, 2024, 03:56 PM

Hi guys,

Hope everyone has had a nice day.

Unlike Norm who had a great reason for not mowing today, I did not. The yard really needed it and there is more rain in the forecast for tomorrow. I knew if I mowed first I wouldn't want to do my cardio workout, so I did my cardio first. Then I went out to mow around 3pm, 50° with sustained winds of 15-20 mph and RealFeel temp of 40°, just miserable, but I got it done.

Had leftover Lasagna and Garlic Toast for dinner along with a couple of ice cold Rolling Rocks. Now time for some R & R, wife and I have been rewatching Breaking Bad on Netflix.

Have a great evening everyone.
Old April 2nd, 2024, 03:58 PM
Running On Empty

...wife and I have been rewatching Breaking Bad....
Old April 2nd, 2024, 04:02 PM
Running On Empty

My friend, Mary taking a selfie w/ Aaron Paul. Mary is Harrison Ford's publicity manager (30 years).

Old April 2nd, 2024, 05:01 PM

My friend, Mary taking a selfie w/ Aaron Paul. Mary is Harrison Ford's publicity manager (30 years).
Wow, with that job/title, I'd say that Mary has probably done very well for herself!
Old April 2nd, 2024, 05:03 PM
Running On Empty

Wow, with that job/title, I'd say that Mary has probably done very well for herself!
Eh, it's a job. I'll see Mary in a couple months (August).
Old April 2nd, 2024, 05:07 PM
Running On Empty

Mary works for Warner Bros (Harrison Ford). They even have awards for that stuff (2008).

https://www.icg600.com/ABOUT-US/Awar...es-Mason-Award
Old April 2nd, 2024, 05:11 PM

Mary works for Warner Bros (Harrison Ford). They even have awards for that stuff (2008).

https://www.icg600.com/ABOUT-US/Awar...es-Mason-Award
Impressive!
Old April 2nd, 2024, 05:16 PM

Norm - When we were watching Breaking Bad last night I told my wife I'd like to get a "Heisenberg" hat to wear to my car events . . . I got an immediate stink eye!
Old April 2nd, 2024, 06:05 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I can see how that may have been met w/ some disdain.
Old April 2nd, 2024, 06:33 PM
Running On Empty

Thinking of selling some vinyl platters from the (my) music vault. Just a thought, but it's occurred to me on numerous occasions.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 04:40 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Was a pretty morning after storms overnight, but now it's cloudy again. Tiger got up around midnight when it started to lightning, but that's about all we saw of it.

So tell me if you think this is weird. A few days ago I smelled gas when I was in the basement. Didn't think much about it but it didn't go away. I opened the window and I couldn't smell it anymore. Then even with the window open I could smell it. So I turned the gas off. Several hours later I went to turn the water heater off, thinking it might try to start and burn something out, and it was still going! I had turned the valve on the meter so it lines up when they put a lock on it. It could have gone further but I figured, that's where it would be if the gas company came out. So I turned the valve off next to the water heater. This afternoon I'm going to turn the gas back on and do leak check on the fittings and hopefully find the leak. This all makes me wonder. Should I call the gas company and tell them their meter is not shutting off properly?

For years, nay decades, I've carried a little notebook in my shirt pocket. I used it to write down part numbers, ship numbers, whatever. After I quit working on the planes I just kept it and sometimes would take random notes. Some weeks ago I lost it. Couldn't find it anywhere. Eh, I didn't really need it. So this morning I get up and go for a walk down to the rollup door, and just happen to see a small notebook sitting on top of the fire hose enclosure by the shop door. It's my notebook, and I assume it's been sitting up there since I lost it. Don't know why it caught my eye today. How bizarre.

Slow going this morning. That's okay, I don't really feel all that good. I could use a nice nap between wheels.

Okay have a good morning everyone.

Old April 3rd, 2024, 04:48 AM

Big storms went through yesterday AM and wrecked the area. I had no impact to my home, so I went to work and had to reroute around several downed trees on different roads. Power was out at 6:30 am, and my alarm system dutifully called home base and said, hey, I have no power, about 7:30. Little thing also called in about 12:30 and said, hey, I have no more battery. That was to be expected. Stayed at work all day, came home about 8pm expecting to go to bed and get power sometime today. One sump pump well was topped out about 2 inches below the floor, and the other well was running fine on the battery backup pump. I figured, since no more rain, it would hold, and went to bed. Power came on shortly thereafter, so I checked everything, and all pumps were running, compressors going, heat and water heater etc, so I went to bed again after hooking the battery of the backup pump to the charger; it wanted ten amps for a good five min before starting to decrease.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 04:54 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - If, big if, I'm following, you 1st turned the gas off - OK fine, you didn't say exactly where you turned the gas off. Often there are two valves: (1) Outdoor main valve from gas company; and, (2) at least one valve inside the home for each gas operated appliance. I'd expect to see a dedicated water heater valve located on the water heater or feeding the water heater. Which did you turn off 1st - the outdoor main service valve or the indoor water heater valve? In both cases, turning ONLY the gas valve to off will not turn off the gas water heater I don't believe. The water heater operates via a thermal switch right? It reads temperature (via an electric current) either supplied via a battery or via house 110 VAC. If water is not at desired temperature it calls for more heat and will attempt to ignite the gas burner to supply more heat. So, somewhere you need to turn off both the electric current and the gas valve to completely turn off the water heater. So, you at some point turn off the water heater electric supply to stop the water heater from operating since turning off gas alone does not stop a gas water heater from attempting to start - the igniter will continue to operate. Am I not following? So, a gas water heater operates via an electric current for the thermal switch to determine water temperature and it has a gas supply. To effectively turn off a gas water heater you need to turn the electric off and the gas off to the water heater.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 05:08 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - I didn't follow this:
I had turned the valve on the meter so it lines up when they put a lock on it. It could have gone further but I figured, that's where it would be if the gas company came out. So I turned the valve off next to the water heater. This afternoon I'm going to turn the gas back on and do leak check on the fittings and hopefully find the leak. This all makes me wonder. Should I call the gas company and tell them their meter is not shutting off properly?
I know of only one way a main gas valve operates. If the valve handle is parallel (in-line) to the direction of the pipe, the gas is "OPEN". If the valve handle is 90° (perpendicular) to the direction of the pipe, the gas is "OFF". The gas company places a tag on the gas line w/ the valve handle set to the parallel (in-line) "OPEN" position. Your call where you decide to set the position but if I were trouble shooting a gas leak, I'd turn off the electric to the water heater 1st. Then, begin a soap + water bubble test for leaks along the gas line(s) beginning at the water heater>water heater gas valve>fittings along the gas pipes to the outdoor main service line.

Weird you found your notebook on the fire hose enclosure by the roll-down door after all that time.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 05:13 AM

Thinking of selling some vinyl platters from the (my) music vault. Just a thought, but it's occurred to me on numerous occasions.
I guess I am still buying vinyl. My main record cabinet is full, and my cheapo overflow cabinet of records to which I have yet to listen (but have cleaned) is full. I do have two old end table / record cabinet pieces of furniture I am bringing online. I suspect, after cleaning out the cheapo cabinet, that I'll be about 30 or 40 records over capacity. May need another one of these little end table cabinet guys. I have books and vinyl and car parts and firearms stored all over the place.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 05:13 AM
Running On Empty

The front y'all experienced last night is now directly upon us here on the East coast. It's being beaten up nicely by the change in temperature(s) between the land & water interface & basically falling apart. It will be cooler for several days after the front passes. Going to be windy as it passes. Like Mike, the pollen is driving me bonkers.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 05:18 AM
Running On Empty

There were two basic items I moved continuously throughout the years of my life from one local to another: (1) Books & (2) records. Boxes & boxes of each. Today I have far more books than records. I did some serious house cleaning on vinyl platters about 15 years ago. I think I'm down to ~300 cassette tapes where there once were ~3k - 4k.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 05:28 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - BTW, if the main gas line service valve does not shut off the gas, you most assuredly must call the gas company - that's a fact.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 05:32 AM
Running On Empty

No response from the Gorilla-Lift website. Time to shut 'er down.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 06:27 AM
Running On Empty

Had my suspicions regarding that GORILLA lift website which supposedly sells wine & booze, yet are selling a GORILLA lift? Yeah, right. There do exist what are referred to as "affiliate" websites - where one particular website is linked (via an affiliate program) to another website. This doesn't necessarily indicate an issue UNLESS you discover peculiarities, which I have identified. Short story: No response(s) from vendor, PayPal is nearly useless (but I'll continue my attempts to inform them, etc. regarding activity and refund) but I called my bank (Wells Fargo) this morning & filed a claim inquiry. Wells Fargo has already issued to me a temporary full refund for the transaction & will contact me if any additional information is necessary. I've filed one claim against a vendor in 20 years w/ Wells Fargo & they have been stellar pertaining to any inquiries, etc. I have ever had w/ any issues regarding any of my accounts. Yeah, they sometimes are slammed for this, that & the other thing like any Banking business, but in the end they have provided excellent service/support to me.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Big storms went through yesterday AM and wrecked the area. I had no impact to my home, so I went to work and had to reroute around several downed trees on different roads.
John - Glad you had no damage to your home. Sounds like you came close to running out of juice on your auxiliary battery powered sump pump. My old house (where my Ex still lives) had two sumps in it, one on each part of of an L-shaped ranch style home. I had auxiliary battery back-ups on both sump holes that saved me more than once. But there were also times when the auxiliaries did not last long enough and I had to break out the generator to keep the mains operating.