The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2024, 06:07 PM

That sounds good I am going to try it should work with thighs too, I'm thinking some cornbread stuffing to go along. Good Sunday Lunch
Old March 24th, 2024, 12:43 AM

i like to put cooked, chopped chicken thighs in my cornbread dressing [ not stuffing]

Last edited by Jamesbo; March 24th, 2024 at 07:29 AM.
Old March 24th, 2024, 08:30 AM

Woke up to overcast and rain this morning. Yesterday was 84 degrees and today’s high will be 64.Glad I mowed the grass yesterday afternoon.

That brings up a story. My neighbor gave me a lawn mower a few weeks ago, a relatively new Craftsman rear bagger push mower with a 6.5 hp B&S engine. It looked very nice and he said it ran, but a bit rough. I discovered it vibrated like mad because the crank was bent. He must have run over something big to do that. And he kept using it. !!?? So I decided to disassemble the engine on it and also on my old 5 hp B&S engine, and swap all his new external parts onto my old engine block. Now my old 5 hp engine hasn’t been run in over a decade, and has been sitting outside behind the shed, so this effort had a bit of hopefulness associated with it. The blade was dull as a butter knife so I used a file to put an edge back on it. After I got the engine all put back together and mounted on the deck, I added gas to the tank, pumped the primer bulb 6-7 times, pulled the cord a few times, and the engine caught and blew out a puff of blue smoke. After that, it ran smoothly with no more smoke - I guess some oil drained into the cylinder when I had the engine turned upside down, and it burned out. The engine ran beautifully, and this rear bagger system works so much better than my old Murray. Didn’t leave any clumps of grass in the yard, and didn’t spill a bunch of clippings when removing the bag to dump it. I am very pleased with the outcome of my efforts.
Old March 24th, 2024, 08:43 AM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Nice job. I doubt I would have held onto the old 5hp B&S engine. That worked out nicely for you.
Old March 24th, 2024, 08:46 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
i like to put cooked, chopped chicken thighs in my cornbread dressing [not stuffing]
My Mom customarily always made stuffing (not cornbread dressing), probably a location type thing. I'll eat both - no qualms. I like both types of dressing.
Old March 24th, 2024, 09:36 AM

The lake is back to full pool. Time to dust off
Old March 24th, 2024, 10:08 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
My Mom customarily always made stuffing (not cornbread dressing), probably a location type thing. I'll eat both - no qualms. I like both types of dressing.
Yes us Yankee crackers call it Stuffing. Dressing goes on the lettuce salad. I am pretty sure Mom used the "giblets" and breakfast sausage in her stuffing. The chicken thighs in there will be something I will try
Old March 24th, 2024, 10:15 AM

Kenneth - Nice job. I doubt I would have held onto the old 5hp B&S engine. That worked out nicely for you.
I kept it mostly for the mower deck as it was in excellent shape. Bought it when I lived on the Gulf Coast, then discovered a dedicated mulcher doesn’t work well here in the dry environment.
Old March 24th, 2024, 10:17 AM

I kept it mostly for the mower deck as it was in excellent shape. But it’s a dedicated mulcher which I discovered doesn’t work well here in the dry environment so it got parked behind the shed.
Old March 24th, 2024, 10:18 AM

Never heard of a yankee cracker.
Old March 24th, 2024, 11:47 AM
Running On Empty

Having lived in Florida five years I can attest to native Floridians being called crackers - that's for sure.

Absolutely blistering wind out of the ENE all last night and all day today - 26 mph gusting to 40 mph. Temps. only in the lower 50s. I have a gold tournament tomorrow morning tee-time 9:30am. Winds out of the ENE @ 15 mph w/ temps in the upper to lower 50s at tee-time. Going to be a tad nipply.
Old March 24th, 2024, 11:50 AM
Running On Empty

I'm erecting a very large stack of slowly cooked thick center-cut bacon to be used in the creation of several BLT on toast shortly.
Old March 24th, 2024, 12:42 PM

That wind at your back could make for impressive drives. If in your face, not nearly as impressive.
Old March 24th, 2024, 12:43 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
That wind at your back could make for impressive drives. If in your face, not nearly as impressive.
For sure, for sure.
Old March 24th, 2024, 02:12 PM

Having lived in Florida five years I can attest to native Floridians being called crackers - that's for sure.
I resemble that comment. Term comes from whip-cracking back in the day (on cattle).
Old March 24th, 2024, 02:17 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
I resemble that comment. Term comes from whip-cracking back in the day (on cattle).
I know you do, John. Although, regarding your definition of whip-cracking that's about one of twenty variations of the term cracker.
Old March 24th, 2024, 02:19 PM
Running On Empty

I'll bet not many recall the Atlanta Crackers.
Old March 24th, 2024, 02:46 PM
Running On Empty

The lake is back to full pool. Time to dust off
Careful out there, Jim.

Old March 24th, 2024, 02:56 PM

I'll bet not many recall the Atlanta Crackers.
The salesman at Mitchell Motors that sold my 442 drop top was an ex Cracker player turned car salesman. They played in Ponce de leon park home of the longest home run [ landed in a coal car of a passing train]

Last edited by Jamesbo; March 24th, 2024 at 03:34 PM.
Old March 24th, 2024, 03:14 PM
Running On Empty

The salesman at Mitchell Motors that sold my 442 drop top was an ex Cracker player turned car salesman. They played in Ponce de leon park home of the longest home run [ landed in a coal car of a passing train]
That was the one w/ the Magnolia tree in the middle of center field?
Old March 24th, 2024, 03:19 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful and coolish today. Missed a lot of it.

Mom called me before 5 this morning and wanted me to come over. She skinned her shin on the bed somehow and it wouldn't stop bleeding. So I looked at it and thought it was above my pay grade and off to the ER we went. Even though it was still "Saturday night" the place was empty and we got right in. Of course we were there for 6 hours but I digress. All they did was clean up the wound and dress. Nothing fancy, no medicine, but they took Xrays because they didn't believe that she didn't break a bone, and they took blood and all the waiting was mostly for the results. She gets a scrape now and then, because she takes a blood thinner, so having seen what they did next time I'll be able to dress it myself. We both sat in the recliners and napped a couple hours when we got home. The place wasn't busy but there were a couple people there that were sure working the system.

Jamesbo you didn't buy your car new did you? I have a car that was bought at Mitchell Motors, in Pensacola. I understand it was the same Mitchell.

So Kenneth, if you mixed and matched parts from the 6.5 horse and 5 horse, does that make your mower a 5.75 horse?

Love the kangaroo episode. Out of all the characters I think Granny is the most believable. I've always read that Uncle Jed hated Miss Jane but you sure couldn't tell it on the show.

Okay gotta get ready for work tomorrow. Got the blue van ready to go, but I might take the pickup anyway because the van doesn't have a radio and I don't want to be without the traffic report. One of the things I was going to get at Walmart today was a battery operated radio. We'll probably go tomorrow after work.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old March 24th, 2024, 03:24 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Best battery operated transistor radio I ever owned. Dad & I used to listen to the Cubs & Blackhawks on one.

Old March 24th, 2024, 03:41 PM

That was the one w/ the Magnolia tree in the middle of center field?
yep MIKE, NO I didn't a friend of mines grandfather bought it for his aunt
Old March 24th, 2024, 03:49 PM

MIke, I Didn't know there was a Mitchell motors in Pensacola I knew there was a Nobel inn [same family next to Lenox square]
Old March 24th, 2024, 03:53 PM
Running On Empty

yep MIKE, NO I didn't a friend of mines grandfather bought it for his aunt
Did he plant the Magnolia tree?

Old March 24th, 2024, 04:05 PM

Magnolia trees are effing messy. I may have a contender for furthest north Southern Magnolia in my front yard.
Old March 24th, 2024, 04:07 PM

Let me make this Crystal Clear

My term had nothing to do with whip-cracking. Thinking about the injustice that has been part of America history make me puke a bit in my mouth when I start to think of some of the shenaniggins. To be honest pisses the **** out of me

Old March 24th, 2024, 04:07 PM

Mike, you should get some of this. I have it in my backpacking first aid kit and also have the dog version for trimming claws, just in case.

Old March 24th, 2024, 04:10 PM

As for the lawnmower horsepower, you reminded me of the time in school when I poured a bunch of *** nitromethane airplane fuel into the lawn mower gas tank. I think that pushed the power rating up somewhat. The exhaust burned the crap out of my eyes.
Old March 24th, 2024, 04:42 PM

Chris must be on the way to Norm s house. I know he loves BLTS
Old March 24th, 2024, 04:46 PM

Bless your heart Jim

Old March 24th, 2024, 05:02 PM
Running On Empty

Mike, you should get some of this. I have it in my backpacking first aid kit and also have the dog version for trimming claws, just in case.
Kenneth - That's a great coagulant for a variety of reasons I won't bore anyone with regarding the chemistry of coagulants. Two others which are good (and common): (1) Any styptic pencil (stings yeah); and, (2) if push comes to shove almost any antiperspirant (not deodorant). Both contain copious amounts of Aluminum sulfate. One of the reasons antiperspirants aren't recommended since they close vital pores from normal perspiration.
Old March 24th, 2024, 05:07 PM
Running On Empty

Chris must be on the way to Norm s house. I know he loves BLTS
The BLTs were yummy.
Old March 24th, 2024, 05:09 PM
Running On Empty

As for the lawnmower horsepower, you reminded me of the time in school when I poured a bunch of *** nitromethane airplane fuel into the lawn mower gas tank. I think that pushed the power rating up somewhat. The exhaust burned the crap out of my eyes.
You enjoy living on the edge - I like that.
Old March 24th, 2024, 05:14 PM
Running On Empty

Magnolia trees are effing messy. I may have a contender for furthest north Southern Magnolia in my front yard.
I love Southern Magnolias & Cucumber Magnolias - gorgeous trees. Heck, many trees are just as messy as a Southern Mag - to each their own I guess. I had a unique Magnolia until I was forced to cut it down. Commonly referred to as a Tulip Tree (it has absolutely nothing to do with ANY tulip whatsoever) is was a Saucer Magnolia. Really pretty tree. It was cracking and dying - had to go.
Old March 24th, 2024, 05:22 PM
Running On Empty

We had a large Silver Maple tree in our front growing up. Its fall colors were impressive.

Stock photo of grove of Silver Maples in autumn...

Old March 24th, 2024, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Let me make this Crystal Clear

My term had nothing to do with whip-cracking. Thinking about the injustice that has been part of America history make me puke a bit in my mouth when I start to think of some of the shenaniggins. To be honest pisses the **** out of me
Get off it, man. I was talking about CATTLEMEN.
Old March 24th, 2024, 05:26 PM
Running On Empty

I'm a plant freak. Any of your Mom's or Grandmas make wreaths? Gumballs were a common part of homemade wreaths. We'd collect them in the fall under Sweetgum trees and Mom would use them making handmade Christmas wreaths. You need to wear shoes when picking these suckers up. Other stuff used in wreaths were Black Walnut shells, acorns & such. Always enjoyed helping Mom & my Aunts making wreaths.

Old March 24th, 2024, 05:27 PM

You know, these guys:

(referencing my earlier post)

Old March 24th, 2024, 05:31 PM

I'm a plant freak. Any of your Mom's or Grandmas make wreaths? Gumballs were a common part of homemade wreaths. We'd collect them in the fall under Sweetgum trees and Mom would use them making handmade Christmas wreaths. You need to wear shoes when picking these suckers up. Other stuff used in wreaths were Black Walnut shells, acorns & such. Always enjoyed helping Mom & my Aunts making wreaths.
My lot has a varied selection of trees. Other than a ton of cheapie pine trees lining 3 of the 4 sides, that I believe are all my neighbors, I have: a southern magnolia, a spear magnolia, a red Japanese maple, a green Japanese maple, a summer apple tree that may be dead, a hackberry, a sweetgum, a persimmon, three oaks, two poplars, two hickories, a black walnut, and a dogwood.