The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2014, 04:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - I did think of that and actually got in touch with the brand about the warranty. Here's the kicker. There's got to be a minimum amount of failure to justify the cost of the replacement. My total roof coverage is huge, but the hip roof is only around 300 sq ft, not including the ridge caps. Cheaper/faster to just do it myself in the long run.

The dud (yeah, spelled it right) with the VC? The only thing I believe that will motivate him is a stack of Franklins. What it sounds like is the car is a non runner? If that's the case it's not worth a lot. Has he ever started it or tried starting it for you? Next visit? Go to the bank and take out 2500 cash. Pull that wad out in front of him and tell him you'll take it today - here's the cash. A LOT of folks are motivated by the sight of cash in hand. Just make sure he signs over title immediately and gives you all the keys. Call a flatbed and have that puppy home the same day.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 05:25 PM

Good evening everyone.

The GM show today was a success. It was sunny and warm. There were just over 200 cars at the show today. Unfortunately only 4 of them were Oldsmobiles. That is only one more that the number of Acadians/Beaumonts at the show.

Quick trivia, how many have heard of Acadian and Beaumont models?

Mike too bad about the "seller". Keep looking, if you really need another car! And very nice Mustang you bought. Is the top black or grey?

Allan, frozen wastelands? I hope things are finally starting to defrost in AB by now

Darrell, how was the GM Nationals at Carlisle? Now that I've been to the Ford one, I think I might want to try the GM one with a show car.

Sandy, a 10+ hour long car show? I've never heard of one that long. Is there stuff nearby to do and keep busy with? Once or twice I've gone to a daytime car show followed by a cruise night and those days were LONG. I can't imagine a show scheduled for 10 hours.

Have a good week everyone.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 06:46 PM
Always room for one more

Hi from Big D. I'm waiting on my plane to get in from LGA. Shouldn't be too bad of a night.

Allan I don't think the car is worth 2500 but you have a good point. Show him some cash and he might twitch a little. I've got a flatbed I'm going to bring with me and that might be further motivation. He does know that Tuesday is my drop dead day for the week, because I'm having company and won't have a chance to see him again. The plan is I'll see him after work Tuesday morning and we'll get it running together. That's not a bad deal because if I bring it home I'd rather drive it onto the trailer than use a come along. VCs are sort of heavy.

Yes Paul I always need another car. Mustang's top is black. I think that's the only color they come.

I don't mind telling you guys I was a little embarrassed when I got a message from Tedd saying he was laying low. I felt bad that I had said that and told him if his friend could actually get in with the seller I wouldn't mind. One dimensional email and forum sometimes gets me into trouble.

I guess I'll do some training and help with another plane. Ah, work.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sounds good Mike. I'd hit him up with "Here's 2500.00 cash IF it fires up and runs. If it doesn't run? 2200" and then show him the wad. Make sure it's folded over so it looks like there's more than it really is. Saw that on the gas monkey show. Richard Rallins?? does that all the time. In your case the dud knows your interested. Your job is to bring him into the real world by flashing the cash. Don't talk much, just keep riffling through those Franklins and watch where his eyes go...

Have fun at work, maybe swap out an engine or jack screw just for fun. Either that or change a landing gear and replace the dwarf that's been banging underneath the floor of the cockpit. Change all the landing lights to black lights and then go paint weird designs on the taxi ways.....
Old June 23rd, 2014, 02:30 AM

Mawn'in all

Worm

Hey, It's Monday and no one passed so guess what?

Mike, If ya show up with a wad of cat eyes and a flat bed, I'd think you're pretty serious. BTW When are ya gonna build another level to your carport. Should be filling up.

Alllen, I wish I was a motivated as you were. Cars, decks, roofs. Busy fellow

Years ago [during one depression] I was managing a POS 2 story shopping center that the owners were fix'in to loose to de bank. i.e. de had no $$
There was a leak thru a stucco upper wall into a needle point shop dat no one seemed to be able to fix. Solution. Tied a bucked wit a sump pump in it to de bar joist. Werked like a champ.

Well GTG Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:15 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo, wow, you are up early. hope you're hard on whitey today.

Allan, you be careful op on that roof.We used to be able to have 3 layers of shingles before they had to be removed, but the roofers lobby got the code changed and now you are only allowed the one layer. means a strip off each time. Yea, thats good for the environment.

Mike, Good luck with the VC.

Darrell, hope the show turned out ok.

Paul what mufflers did you use on the Cutlass?

Have a day all.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 07:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mondray of sunshine...

Clint - I can't see just shingling over top of shingles that are failed, besides there are two other issues that could get missed. 1) carrying extra roof load, and I need to consider snow load with that too, 2) any rot on the ply underneath would need replacing. I know for a fact the roofers didn't put proper snow/ice dam starter at the bottom or in the valley. I'll probably just weave the valley. It's a 6/12 pitch and I'll be careful.

Jim - was whitey on par fer a good whacking?

Something for everyone to start the week off right.

Fleetwood Mac Monday Morning
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:52 PM

Played like a goat but got 18 in before de cow started hitt'in de flat rock.

X2 Allan, Be careful on dat roof. Reminds me of a story 'bout an ole timer in de Tennesse hills werk'in on his roof on a barn dta sat on a hill side. He threw a rope over the side of the barn and tied it to de axle of his pick up truck so he could safely werk on de fer side of de roof. Only problem was his wife took de truck to town with him still attached. Drug him over the roof top down the gravel drive before she realize he was still attached.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 01:04 PM
Cutlass Lover

Afternoon all!

Humid as heck here and 86*. Storm chances they're saying. I don't think I'm going to the Riverfront tonight. I can't breathe this moisture....

Teepo kicked butt at Newton Falls!! I was nervous when I walked around and saw the others in the Original class. When they parked me beside my buddy Ken with his silver 76 Cutlass, I was really nervous. He's had that car since it was new. But Teepo held her own. 2nd place Original class. All my hard work all last week paid off. Our first award this season. God I'm so far behind....

Went to that little show in Twinsburg yesterday. Didn't win this year. They only give 4 plaques. A lot of my friends were there. I was surprised. Ken was telling me that his 'shop with a cop' show that they usually have is cancelled this year. Walton Hills show is cancelled this year. The Ravenna show was cancelled. I'm not going to have many shows to go to! I'm going to the Pops show over at Summit next Saturday if it doesn't rain. I should get something there.

Paul... good to hear from you! Glad you're enjoying some shows.

That Newton Falls show is long.... They start parking at 9 am. It was drizzling rain Saturday morning so I waited until it let up. I left home about 9:30ish and must have been right behind the rain front. I had dry roads to Streetsboro,then closer to Ravenna it looked like it just got done raining. Roads were wet with 2 dry tire paths,lol. Picked up Linda and Emaline and it was the same all the way over to Newton Falls. It clouded up a few times over there,but the sun did eventually come out and stay out and the temps were pleasant. Last year it was like 93* and we were dying....

They have 38 classes at that show and they started the awards at 6:00! It takes forever to get through them. I got home a little after 9 pm. I was beat! Looking forward to next years show now lol.

I'm phone less now. Took my phone to the UPS store at noon and sent it to be fixed. They'll email me the price and I have to pay by credit card. It's gonna be a long 13 days or so until I get it back. Hope no doctors call me. Thats the only number they have....

Tomorrow is the port flush. Yuck. Guess I'll leave about a quarter to one and come back after. Hope they're not as slow tomorrow as they were last time.

Jon came down this weekend so Nicole spent the weekend with him. They were hiding in Teepo yesterday at the show! Scared me when I went back to her after walking around.

So did I tell you that the Gastapo has installed security cameras all around the house? He worked on them this weekend. I thought he was only putting them in the front of the house. Oh no.... One in front pointed at the driveway/street, one inside the breezeway, one pointed out at the deck, and I think he's putting one more somewhere. I said to him yesterday 'talk about your lack of privacy!'. He said, What? I said well nothing like wanting to scratch your a$$ if you're out on the deck and not having people see you! I think it's stupid and I don't like it at all. If I want to walk out through the breezeway into the garage without my little cancer hat on, I really don't want to be filmed! It's no ones business what my head looks like.... I told him that if I wanted to sneak something like a Christmas gift in the house, he'll be watching me put a bag over that breezeway camera. I told him I'd smile while I was doing it. Just because Nicole had friends over while we were gone...... it's stupid. But he has a point to prove so there is no stopping it.

Well i better get off here.... talk to you tomorrow. Have a good one all.

Last edited by cutlassgal; June 23rd, 2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 02:59 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone. I thought I'd have to shout howdy from work again. The thunder started about two this afternoon and that was it for the internet. Then when it started raining the internet came back on. I don't get it. The cable TV always works but the internet takes a powder. It all comes through the same line.

Sandy you didn't say who took first. Have you seen the evil woman with the Teepo clone this year?

Oh Allan, I just can't deal with you making fun of me and making me look like such a dumbass so I will put you on my ignore list. Bahahahaha! That guy cracks me up. I doubt he realizes he's doing you a favor.

Jamesbo that story has been going around work for years. Someone asks their young son to tie the rope to something sturdy. The boy doesn't tell him the something sturdy is the bumper of the wife's car. Wife drives away in car and pulls the guy over the roof and down the road.

So it's Friday for me. I got the Monday lead, and he's a nut. Doesn't have a clue and runs around like a crazy person. He has one of those vapor cigarette things and goes through like three viles of liquid a night. He looks like a freight train. Tomorrow morning I'm supposed to meet the Vista Cruiser guy. We won't be getting much work done if it's raining, and the weather report says rain all week. Yuck.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 03:38 PM
Captain Starfire

Hey, boys & girl

Ain't really caught up on everybody's posts, so that'll have to wait...
Good one, Allan! Being an ex-speech-language pathologist, I can appreciate dat one.... Me worked w/ a lot of little snot ***** with lithpth.
Have a safe trip, Mike. Sorry about the tile, Jamesbo. Hope things are doing OK, Sandy. And hope Carlisle isn't disappointing, Darrell.
Clint, did I miss ur post(s)?

Thanks for the well-wishes for the "big date" and better half; but alas, her stomach was giving her trouble Saturday and we had to cancel our reservation (made on Thursday) at Keith Young's Steakhouse in Madisonville. She seems to be doing a little better now, thank goodness.

Yesterday, I, the better half, my brother David, his wiffey Joan, Aunt Carmy, and a couple friends went to the retirement Mass of a priest friend (Fr. Bernard Francis) from the 70s. He and my maternal grandmother (who passed in '76) were practically in a mutual admiration society, and has been a great friend of the extended family for many years. So we all snapped a pic together. I'm in the center; the lovely lady to my right is my friend's sister, and Aunt Carmy is to her right. To my left is my better half, to her left is Joan and to her left is David. A good time was had by all, although the reception hall was way overcrowded. Couldn't do the sardine thing too long....

Anyhoots, to cut to the chase for a change, Mike, thought you'd get a little kick out of this. My Dad had cut this out of the Times-Picayune of 10/3/87. I have one more from '91 when they canceled the SR-71 program. What a shame... but I guess all good things come to an end. Wish I could have seen that baby in Belle Chasse when it landed there 27 yrs. ago.

Y'all have a great resto' Moon Day, Oldsmosiblings.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 23rd, 2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:44 PM

Good evening everyone. Not much to say tonite.

John, interesting article about the SR-71.

Mike, the internet needs the powered modem to work. Enjoy your weekend.

Sandy, congratulations on another win! It is nice to finally be getting into car show season. I just wish I could be taking the Cutlass to some of the shows. But it is nice to be driving the Delta.

Clint, I bought a Pypes exhaust system with the Pypes Street Pro mufflers. Their kit is made for a 1971 GTO, but the exhaust lines up well with the cutout bumper and they even sell 2.5" trumpet tips. The system was on sale when I bought it and was the same price with the mufflers as a system without. I'll run it for a bit like this with the new engine and see if a big block changes thing at all.

Mike, I've seen black and tan tops, but I'm not sure if the 2013-14 have the tan tops.

Here is a picture of a 2010 Mustang with a tan top. This was the rental we had on the trip in 2010 that I ended up buying my Cutlass on. It's the red Cutlass in the background.

Maybe I should re-create this picture with the now blue Cutlass and my blue Mustang?

Attachment 163853
Old June 24th, 2014, 03:31 AM

Mawn'in all

Worm

Rained yesterday like a cow n a flat rock. But we needed it

Sum days, I wonder if A-1 Tony knows what he started. Jes think howmany of us met because of him

Well, I better stop pondering my naval and get going............ day lites burning

Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 24th, 2014, 03:58 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Work wasn't too bad last night. Worked on three planes and still got out a little early. I'm supposed to go meet the guy with the VC this morning but I might put him off, I'm pretty beat.

John that's a cool article about the SR71. Bet it was a sight doing those flyby's. That must have been really classified if they had to bring its own security, when it was on base to begin with. Nice picture of you guys.

Paul I haven't seen anything but black tops on the latest Mustangs. My 03 Mustang was blue with a white top. How do I find out the exact build date for my car?

Jamesbo was it Tony that started the original Good Morning thread? I wasn't a part of that one, just read that it went kaput.

Gonna try to get a little rest this morning. It was clear when I got home but now is fogging up. Hm. Rain is supposed to be around all day and all week. Yuck.
Old June 24th, 2014, 04:21 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

What a neat plane. I never was into aircraft much. but I do have a pic of the B2 on my office all at the shop. One my buddy worked on.

Jamesbo, you sure are getting up early anymore.

Paul, are they a glasspack style muffler or more like a turbo?

John, I'm here, just a little grumpy. We had a Bday dinner for my kids 20th on Sunday, and more times than not, when family gets together, it makes me a bit crabby. Don't understand why family has to be so nasty to each other.

Sandy, Smile for the camera

Allan, When we moved into this ol Shack. we had one layer of shakes, and 2 layers of t-locks. That would have been fun. nailing t-locks over shake shingles. There are a lot of times around here that we'll get hailstorms 2 years in a row. and although the shingles aren't lifted or curled, they'll show damage from hail and now with the new code, will need to be torn off even if they are only a year old.

Well, have a Tuesday all.
Old June 24th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Captain Starfire

Happy Tiu's day

Copy & paste day in da' swamp.... they're sayin' 30% for Elsie, but yesterday was 40% and we didn't get a drop (at least during daylight hours). Spose to go to S. Shore today and do a little 'lektrikal work and get as far as I can on rollin' some walls. We did good on Saturday w/ 3 of us boys working. That's prolly going to be a rare occasion.

Clint, I think the vast majority of us can relate to your family dilemma. So sorry it has to be that way. But congrats on the boy's 20th b/d, anyhoots!

Here's Part Deux of the SR-71 series. Sorry, but you have to read column-wise, and not pic-wise: pic 2 should actually be connected to the bottom of pic 1.

I had thought it was from '91, but as you can see, it was '89. Hard to believe it's been that long. As if I need to say, Dad was a big aviation buff. I think we went to every air show at Alvin Callender Field (home of the former "Coonass Militia") over a period of about 35 years. Took him to the WWII Museum a couple times (N.O.), and also to the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola once. He always wanted to go to the Confederate Air Force in Midland, TX (which has since bowed to P.C. and become the "Commemorative Air Force"). Never made that last one.

Hope y'all have a great one, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 24th, 2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old June 24th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning all!

Another tropical humid day here. Temps in the 70's now. Had awful storms come through last evening. It got up to 90* yesterday. Glad I didn't go to the Riverfront! It got pitch black around 7:00 and all my little solar garden lights came on. Wasn't 10 minutes later it was thundering and lightening and raining so hard you couldn't see. Wind was strong too. Lasted about 45 minutes or so. Then it just rumbled the rest of the night.

They show a chance of storms on Saturday now, of course. I sure hope another show isn't going to get rained out. 2014 sure isn't my year for anything.

Well Brian's wife just called and his toaster looking flex won't start for her at Target! He just got the thing back- again- last week! She had it today taking it to get the snow tires taken off. So he calls the dealer and tells them that it's time that Ford gives him a great deal on a new car! Ford should be grateful that he even still wants one of their products, they owe him for all this aggrivation.... yadda...yadda....yadda. So she is bringing it here and they are taking it to the dealer in Solon again. I think he ought to get away from Ferd myself....

Smile.... you're on candid camera!! . I glare at that camera everytime I walk out in the breezeway. And I stick my tongue out at it. Babified maybe, but it makes me feel better.

Gotta go get the port flushed today. Yucky tasting stuff..

Slow and boring in here. I just turned up my fan since Brian is gone!!! I love it! Our AC at home is set at 71*. It's set at 73* in here and it just feels wet in here and not cool at all. My water bottle sits here and sweats. 76* in this room is just too warm when its 76 outside! Good God. Steve had his heater on yesterday, and the ceiling vents are completely closed in his room! Oh well... hes healthier than me lol.

Well you all have a good day.
Old June 24th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone tough to get going today.

Left a message for VC man and went to bed. He called about 11 said he'd call this afternoon. Called this afternoon and said he'd call tomorrow. I'm getting a little weary of this guy. Oh well, don't cost nuthin' to answer the phone.

Clint I know exactly what you are saying. In my family, everyone but me is allowed to say whatever they want. But if I speak up, everyone looks at me at once and I get the murmers of, I can't believe he just said that, why would he say that, there's no need for that.

John that is a cool airplane. I saw a Blackbird trainer at Warner Robbins. Looked the same but elongated cockpit. Imagine, a Blackbird trainer. Thanks for posting those. Very interesting reading.

So there hasn't been any kind of incident in the back yard with the dogs lately and I've gotten complacent. I let them out then do whatever and every couple minutes look out the back windows to see what they are up to. So just now I did just that, and a few minutes later I look out and my girl is playing with what looks like a stick. But no, the stick is bleeding. They are both dancing around Ole Sneaky and I call them in and go over every inch of them to make sure they weren't bit. Then with them in the house I went out to dispose of Mr. No Shoulders. He had bite marks all up and down his back and a big gouge out of his middle. His tongue was hanging out like a dog that just ran the marathon. No idea what kind of snake he was, tan color, roundish eyes, white belly with straight lines going across. Probably some sort of water snake. I was going to take a picture but I didn't want Allan to soil himself. It gave me the heeby jeebies just being that close. He was barely twitching his tail and I asked him that before his last breath would he send a message to his snake friends to stay out of the yard. Then it was time for the unceremonious poop shovel to throw him into the woods.

My sister is visiting tomorrow. She said she was going to drive up from Jacksonville in the afternoon and then go home at night. That's a lot of driving. She can stay over here but she'd be competing with the dogs for couch space.

Think I'll take in the Awful house for my supper and run a couple errands. Heck, I might even take the Mustang so it can get more than 40 miles on it.
Old June 24th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Tiu's day it is John.

Have to pace myself outside working because I tend to overheat a lot and then get sick. So today I only lasted till around 1:30. Purty windy out too. Plan is to go back out after it cools down and do some more damage if the storms hold off that long.

Bad news day. I stepped back to look at the deck framing and my eyes glanced to the second storey roof. That almost made me sick. Looks like I need the whole shooting match replaced. Hadn't planned on that kind of expense this year and I'm not going up there to do it. Second floor roof is close to 24' up and I don't bounce as good if I fall off that. Looks like I'll be hiring a contractor during the summer or fall to replace the whole shebang. Maybe time to think about going to those new designer shingles.

Mike - good luck dealing with the VC guy. If all he wants to do is phone and delay tell him not to bother calling anymore. Hmm, maybe that's his game?

Paul - definitely do a comparison shot of the new stang and the redone Olds. BTW, I always refer to AB as the frozen wastelands because most of the time it is. Spring and summer this year are still playing catch up. At least we didn't get the huge flooding we got last year.
Old June 24th, 2014, 08:41 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hi all. Sorry for not responding the last couple nights, been swamped since coming home. Took me about 7 hours to get home Sunday night, traffic was unbelievable. Sat outside of NYC for 90 minutes and probably moved 50 feet in that time. The Olds never overheated, just kept idling away. I'm sure everyone enjoyed my noisy flowmasters. They had to listen to what a real engine sounds like. Haha

GM Carlisle was a good show, there was about 40 Oldsmobiles there. Had about 11 in my class, I ended up winning a celebrity award, selected by the local Olds club. Nice group of people. I will post some pictures on this thread and more on a Carlisle thread that was started by another member.

Allan/Clint - there was a good showing this year, not sure of the actual turnout numbers. They had a Bandit tribute at this show, with many black T/A's. Even played Smokey and the Bandit at the local theatre. They lined both sides of the street with t/A's. Cool to see.

Sandy- I hear you with the cameras. I am dead set against that too. I would want to give it the finger each time I walked by one.

We'll time for bed, talk to you all tomorrow.
Old June 25th, 2014, 04:19 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning and Happy Hump Day.

Beautiful and calm this morning. I gave up looking to see what the rain is gonna do.

Darrell I hate traffic. I was in traffic like that(twice) last week going to New Jersey and back. I understand traffic is gridlock 24/7 around the DC area. Glad the show was good.

Allan I didn't think your house was that old. Roofing isn't something I'd take on myself. I can only imagine how wavy my rows would turn out.

I think I've got a bone spur on my foot, right behind my big toe. I've been hobbling around for over a week and it isn't getting any better. My Mom had bone spurs many years ago and she said they were terrible. If I did it wouldn't surprise me. I drink two gallons of milk a week. Just haven't had time to get to the doctor to find out what's going on.

Looking forward to my sister visiting today. I warned her that my house is awful but she said she didn't care. She's not one for keeping house but her's is always nice. I have a feeling she calls a cleaning woman and doesn't tell anyone.

Okay time for the real Awful house. Hope everyone has a good day. We're half way there.
Old June 25th, 2014, 04:22 AM

Mawn'in all

Cut/paste Hot humid wit a chancew of showers

Mike, Sounds like a corn snake [in de rat snake family]

Allan, I feel fer ya friend. Dat's 'bout where I'm gonna end up wit de tile. One sstep forward two back. De joys of home onwership.

Yep, It was A-1 Tony dat started dis thread den Pat [Citcap] accidently deleted de whole thing and de "New" thread got started

Welp, gotta get go'in before de heat hits

Old June 25th, 2014, 05:04 AM
CQR

Mornin all

Allan, bummer about the roof.

Darrell, glad you had a nice show. My uncle has a black and gold T/A 78 think. Had it since new. I sure liked them and would love for the wife to have one.but we'll see.

Bummer about the snake Mike. It's sure a snakey year here. The bull snakes are having a heyday at the ranch. Lots of rants and bunnies. The landlord killed a 9 button 5' rattler in Dad's yard last week.

Well, I replaced my first sunroof yesterday. Odd seeing as how I've been wrenching for almost 30 years. It was on Moms Subaru. The dual glass one that has the moon roof up front and the sunroof over the back seats.

Now I'm going over the 17 page proposed 'nuisance ordinance' the town board wants to pass. These people are relentless. If you are so unhappy with how things are, why don't you just move? good grief.

Have a Wednesday all.

RIP Tuco
Old June 25th, 2014, 05:29 AM
Captain Starfire

Cut and double paste weather... more o' the same today. Everybody got in on the Elsie action yesterday, and today they're sayin' as high as 60%. I may never mow again...

Tuco (a.k.a. Eli Wallach) was 98, Clint. I hope I have as good a run.... But what a household name in the 60s and 70s. From what I heard this morning, he had quite a distinguished WWII military career, as well. Tears well up thinking of the old patriots and all that we've gained through their selfless efforts. (OK, John, get a hold of yourself.)

Painted the old abode for 3 hours yesterday, and put up a new fluorescent fixture in the kitchen. Luv dat Sherwin Williams paint. I seem to have bought into the hype 100% -- as long as I get my 30% discount, which still makes it a little more expensive than buying paint elsewhere. But it's worth it to me.

My poor back is payin' the price today - roller and stick are murder on the back. Next time, I'll do the upper part w/ the stick, then come back for lower part with no stick. Did all of it w/ the roller stick yesterday and that was counterproductive.

At this rate, we should be finished by 2015. We'll see how far the two brothers get while I'm up in da' hills. Middle brother swears the "For Sale" sign will be up next week. I'll have to see it to believe it, since he could sell an ice cube to an eskimo. You have to choose yer battles in da' family.

Sorry about the jam, Darrell. But congrats on the award, anyhoots. I'm going to make it up there eventually. The Gawel family lives up there and we had a lot of interaction when I was big into the GSs. Paul has a gorgeous '70 Stage 1, and his lovely (Lynn) worked at AACA up there. That's the only car organization I still pay dues for.

Back when I was an almost-young put new-car get-ready guy at Star Chrysler in N.O., right down the block from Star was Bayou Pontiac. I remember lusting after the '80 T/A 6.6's. Man, that was a sweet ride. I fell in love with that "uni" tail light across the whole back. I considered buying one, but prolly no more serious than I am about buying a Tundra now. Just fun to muse.

Have a great Wodan's day, Oldsmobuds.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 25th, 2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old June 25th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Gloomy overcast and drizzly morning here. Doesn't look like much will be happening till maybe this afternoon. At least we don't have 35 mph winds any more. That was brutal yesterday.

Mike - you're right, it was finished construction in March of 99. There are 4 separate roofs on this place, but the main one is huge and has 3 different elevations due to the design, but luckily only 2 major valleys. I'd have to look up how many K feet of shingles that is. Enjoy your visit with your sister!

Jim - Yeah, I know exactly how you might be feeling. I have a feeling this roof is in the 8-10k or more ballpark, maybe more. Stupid part is, like de shower, it's not all bad but most roofers won't come out for only a partial job. They want ALL yer money. Modern legal robbery. I knew this day would come, just not this soon.

Darrell - Congrats on the celebrity trophy! Been in lineups like that too and they're not fun at all. Ever find out what caused it?

John - maybe time to invest in a paint sprayer? Story behind SW paint. They were the first paint co to offer money back guarantee. They had to though because their original stuff was so bad no one would buy it. After reformulating it, the only way to get anyone to even look at it was to do the money back. Started a trend that never ended. Too bad they don't have BOGO.

Clint - sunroofs and headliners are so much fun. Had to do that with the one on my 83 because the drains plugged and I had a waterfall coming through the roof. Solution? Never buy sun roof car again. Oops, I did. But so far the Sonata doesn't have any issues with the roof. Korean designed, built in America.

Last edited by Allan R; June 25th, 2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old June 25th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Captain Starfire

Allan, I guess since they've been around since their founding by Henry Sherwin and Edward Williams in 1866, they've had time to work out the kinks.
Old June 25th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Funny thing is I found that story in an Uncle Johns bathroom reader. It told about the original color ( oxide red ) washing off the barn and out buildings within the first few rainfalls. That was a long time ago so I sure hope they got the mix right by now. They're one of the biggest paint manufacturers today.
Old June 25th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Cutlass Lover

Afternoon all!

Humid as heck again here too. Had more rain last evening and overnight and all morning. Sun came out some around noon but its still pretty overcast.

Don't know if the cruise in Hudson will be on tonight or not. Seems every Wednesday it rains.

I spent last night hooking up my new HP wireless printer. Had to un-install the old printer and stuff off my laptop first. So I got the new one up and installed. Pretty slick! Don't know what happened to my old one. I replaced the black ink cartridge then kept getting error messages. Went to the website and tried all their suggestions and couldn't get it to print. So I said the hell with it and got a new one for $60. Printers are cheap. The ink is expensive! Then I attempted to straighten up the room cause its a mess. I didn't get very far with that lol. The spare room bed just becomes a catch all for me in the summer. Car show flyers, car show purse, Oldsmobile bag, just everything ends up getting tosssd on the bed. I'll get it cleaned off eventually!

John... I love Home Depots Behr paint! It covers so nicely and no paint smell. I used to love to paint and did every room in the house. Now I hate to even get the paint out and touch up spots. Don't know why.

AllanR... do you have Amish boys around your area? They work hard and get the job done! You see them around here all the time putting roofs on. A group of them did ours last October. They do good work.

Jamesbo.... my green bean plants are sooo pretty this year! I dont know why, but I'll take it lol. They are big and covered with blooms! I still have a few bags from last years crop out in the big freezer. I haven't wandered out back to the big garden to see how my maters and peppers are doing back there. Could be gone for all I know. I haven't even pulled weeds from my lily bed or from beside the driveway. My give a damn is busted!

So Lindas heart doc wants her to have an ablation done to stop her A-Fib. Shes tossing it around. I told her its her decision. They wanted to do that to me a few years back and I said nope. I don't want my heart burned and scarred in different places. Its not even a sure thing that it will work. Sounds good in theory though. So I don't know what she will choose.

Got the port flushed yesterday. Yucky tasting stuff and it feels so hot around my heart area when they do that. Had to sit in that depressing waiting room for 20 minutes. God I hope I never have to have chemo again! Tomorrow is plastic surgeon day. Well in the afternoon lol. Hope its nice for Bellacinos tomorrow.

We sure had some good times on this thread. Way back when Blue was on and The Colonel was still alive. I remember freaking out when Citcapp deleted it, lol. I'm glad it got re -started, and we've made new friends and it continues on.

Darrell... glad you made it ok and had a good time! Yeah, I'd love to flip off the cameras, lol. I think its stupid! I feel like I have no privacy. The most I've done is stick my tongue out at them. So far. Catch me in the right mood and it's hard to say what he's going to see!

So Tincanio is getting all sorts of squeaks and rattles here lately. Makes me crazy!! Sounds like the rear door or something back there. I've checked the door and it seems to be closed tightly. Checked the spare tire and its mounted tight. Checked in all the little trapdoors in the rear and nothing is rattling in those. So I don't know. I'm going to have Larry ride back there and see if he can tell where the noise is coming from. These roads are so friggin rough and bumpy here. I drive like I'm drunk, weaving around the bumps and holes and humps. Don't guess there's any money in the States budget for road repair here this year. It just tears a vehicle apart!

Well I better do something so you all have a good day.

Last edited by cutlassgal; June 25th, 2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old June 25th, 2014, 03:13 PM
CQR

Anyone interested in a VERY low mileage Allante' I've been asked to sell one for a widow of a friend of the family.
Old June 25th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sandy - Nope. No Amish guys up here. Glad to hear you've had good experience with Behr. The first time I used their stain it peeled like an over ripe banana and that's on SPF wood, not pressure treated. Gave me the heebie jeebies about using them again.

Clint - I'm surprised you didn't mention the year, mileage and asking price. You know it might be something that Mike might go for if that deal on the VC doesn't come through.
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:41 PM
CQR

1991 pininfarina with just over 18K miles. $12K would own it.

Looks just like this:
Old June 26th, 2014, 03:28 AM
Captain Starfire

Chomp, chomp

At least a dry sojourn this mornin'.... 'twas '71 at the Plantation, so at least all this moisture is keepin' the temps down. 'Spectin' more of the same later on, though, w/ ~50% chance of the "flat rock" syndrome.

Clint, I'm trying to thin my fleet, but if that Allante only has that few miles and looks just like the one in the pic, it's mytee tempting. Maybe Mike's ponderin' as I write....

Boy, Allan, you're a tough one on paint! Actually, I used Behr on our house before Katrina, but I didn't do good surface prep - I didn't get all the way down to the wood. This was on the ceiling of our patio, exposed to the humidity, and it peeled within a year. Following year, we had vinyl put over it, as it was kinda' hopeless. And speaking of sprayers, my brother brought his on Saturday and I gave it a whirl. Way more trouble than it was worth. It seems the cheap ones (like his) are absolute garbage (good for a few uses), and the good ones, I've heard, are expensive and are really for the pro's. But that's a non-pro talking, obviously. I'd consider a power roller at this point.

Whelpt, today's my last day (at least for now) at the salt mine.... I have to say, it ain't even bittersweet... it's as sweet as chocolate fudge brownies with Blue Bell Creole Cream Cheese ice cream, whipped cream, & Hershey's syrup ... and topped by a cherry... But if they call me in a couple months (I'd say 50-50 chance), I would consider working part time again, mostly 'cause of the health insurance. But we'll see.... Got so much in front of me at this point, I'm not even going to think about it. Funny, too, as I've gotten two offers to do small, short-term tech-writing jobs right away; but I'm out of the market for now. I wanna' get the Metairie house sold first.

Anyhoots, happy Thor's day, Allan! And everybody else have a great Thursday .

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 26th, 2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:45 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

John. The gent who passed was a small time collector. He had a 93 Allante` with the northstar that had 9K on it. a 77 Mark, a 63 t bird, 83 el camino ss, and a half dozen others. He sold most before he passed. He knew his time was up and didn't want his wife to have to deal with it. He also has a Winnebago Profile View that she says is gonna sell cheap too if any of you are looking for a doghouse on wheels.

Allan. We've had the same experience with Behr. Just awful. Sometimes it would start to peel off the deck even before summer was over. We've had pretty good luck with the Ace house brand.

Sandy, They have the money to fix the roads, they just choose to spend it elsewhere. Several years ago Our Gov increased all the license plate fees (most of my vehicles more than doubled. e.g. 1986 Toyota p.u. went from $23 to $68 per year.) promised to fix our roads. The roads still suck but CDOT has all new vehicles.

The weathers been nice. in the 80's and 90's with afternoon thunderstorms. Gonna get close to 100 on Sunday. Should be good weather for Darrell to visit. Is that still a go? When you coming out? I washed Brit up last Sunday so she's ready for the trip.

Have a Thursday all.
Old June 26th, 2014, 05:18 AM

Mawn'in all

Hot wit afternoon showers.

Nice car Clint, wish I had sum pocket change

GTG pick squash and den sneak off [to smack whitey] before de monsooons hit

Old June 26th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Thor's day again, already John? Boy time sure flies lately. Looks like it's going to be a good one with evening T Storms.

Some disappointing news yesterday about the Hells Angels next door. Seems the landlord likes their money more than any concerns from our cul-de-sac. IDK what the world is coming to. My other neighbor is getting her kids for the summer. They are kids with issues so this summer could be interesting. One of the only cases I know up here where the judge said the father should have custody. That says a lot.

Jim - what do you make with the squash? Have fun smacking whitey.

Clint - I hear ya on the road issues and licensing. Our tags cost 84 per car and the roads keep getting worse. The City says they dropped the ball but for them to play catch up will likely take years. Yeah I also notice that most gov vehicles are new, and are driven like rented mules.

John - congrats on the last salt shaker. Sounds like you've got a very healthy and hungry (appetizing too) approach.
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:47 AM

Aunt Fannies Cabin
Recipe: Aunt Fannie's Squash Casserole
Ingredients:
3 pounds summer squash 1/2 cup onions, chopped 1/2 cup butter, melted 2 eggs, beaten 1/2 cup saltine cracker crumbs 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon black pepper saltine cracker crumbs
Process:
Wash squash, cut in half lengthwise, then in 1/4-inch slices. Combine with chopped onion and cook in water to barely cover until both are tender. Drain thoroughly, pressing out excess water with back of spoon. Mash squash and onion with potato masher.
Mix with half the butter, the cracker crumbs, eggs, sugar, to taste, salt and pepper. Pour into greased casserole dish.
Pour remaining butter on top and sprinkle with additional cracker crumbs. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45-60 minutes, or until top is golden brown and bubbly.
Serves 6
cook's notes: This recipe is from a restaurant in Smyrna, Georgia called Aunt Fannie's Cabin. Aunt Fannie was a freed slave of an old Georgia family who remained with the family until her death. The menu at the Cabin represented many of the dishes that Aunt Fannie prepared for the family.

Old June 26th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Captain Starfire

Allan (et al) - can't compete w/Jamesbo's calorific recipes! But better half got some white squash last week as part of her 12-week summer veggie co-op she belongs to.

I cut it up and marinated it in olive oil, some herbs, and a spot of vinegar, then threw it on the scorching hot grill for a couple minutes per side.

All I can say is we never have any left over ;-)

Although this works with any type of squash, white is my favorite 'cause it can be sliced in huge, round slices... and I prefer its taste.
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:11 AM

John,

It ain't my recipe. It's [non pc] Aunt Fanny's

Played 9 fer a 42 Not bad at all. Hit de pin on my second shot on #5 and "almost" got an Eagle

BTW, In a affort to free my self from painting fences fer de rest of my life [which cuts into smacking whitey around.] I hired dis older dude who gave me a price I jes couldn't refuse. Problem is, I fear he used to paint fer Murphy Brown an may perish before he finishes. Like watching molassas pour outa a cold jug.
Old June 26th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Always room for one more

Good evening everyone.

What a nice visit I had with my sister. She got here around 3 yesterday afternoon and we went up to Marietta for pizza. Then today we went to the Georgia Aquarium. She left a little while ago for home and now the dogs and I are just relaxing.

Clint I've always liked the Allante but I don't think I'd own one. I work with a guy that used to be a Cadillac tech and he said they are a nightmare to work on, and very expensive. He also clued me in on another late model Caddy I had thought about buying, the latest iteration of the DTS, headlight replacement is 400+, and it goes up from there. Hell I can't talk a guy out of a rusted station wagon, how am I going to get something as classy as this?

Allan that sucks when you have trouble with your neighbors. I'm all too aware. Maybe start acting like them and see how they like it.

John I bought one of those paint sprayers once and it wasn't worth the powder to blow it up. I'm not keen on painting. I'd like to try that power roller one time. Hope the house gets shaped up soon.

Need to make a quick stop at Walmart this evening so I'm not out of stuff for my work week coming up. Hey I've got pizza! I'm actually sort of tired tonight. Boring old me isn't used to company and activity.

Have a good night everyone, Friday tomorrow(Monday for me) so there's a light at the end of this week's tunnel.
Old June 26th, 2014, 08:29 PM

BTW, In a affort to free my self from painting fences fer de rest of my life [which cuts into smacking whitey around.] I hired dis older dude who gave me a price I jes couldn't refuse. Problem is, I fear he used to paint fer Murphy Brown an may perish before he finishes. Like watching molassas pour outa a cold jug.
As long as you are paying him by the job, and not the hour, you should be o.k...right?