The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Yesterday I found out my younger brother is in the hospital. He needs a triple bypass on his ticker. Spent most of the afternoon with him. He's in good spirits in spite of everything. They sure have cute nurses there.

Enjoy you're day everyone.
Old June 6th, 2014, 08:15 AM

Allan, I hope that all goes well for your brother, and stop eyeing the cute nurses or your ticker will go amok!
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Always room for one more

Allan best wishes for your brother for a speedy recovery. Cute nurses. I went to a class at work one night followed by a hearing test. The guy running the class said to go see Nurse Patty and she would take care of me. I said, Nurse Patty, I don't know her but she sounds quite fetching(a line from Seinfeld). So I go to see Nurse Patty. Uh, she was very nice.

Darrell, imagine doing stuff during the day. My days off sometimes seem like a different life for me.

Okay group Chevy question time. Actually it's a generic question. Why is there such a big difference in price between two seemingly similar pitman arms? I looked up parts for the blue van on NAPA and Advance Auto, and they both have two different pitman arms and idler arms. The cheep ones are 30 and the expensive ones are 90. Why the big difference? Is there that much difference in the castings? Is the cheep one going to break a week after I install it? No wonder the mechanic wanted 900 for the job.

Nice day and I haven't done squat. That's okay.
Old June 6th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Always room for one more

Well now that the rain and thunder have come and I have nothing better to do than look at the computer(because the dogs are trying to get into my pockets), I see that we breezed right past Ransom Olds' birthday on June 3. He'd be 150.

June 3 is also my grandparents' anniversary.

And Jamesbo you can tell us all you want about your uncle.

Inside stuff for sure now. Maybe I'll just keep surfing.
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

His surgery is now scheduled for June 10. That's a bad day as I'm actually working (committed to it months ago). But I'll be able to finish around 4:00 and hop on a train to go to the hospital. I imagine they'll have him in recovery for some time but I'd like to be there when he wakes up. Nothing like my mug to scare his heart back into working right....I think it's really important for him to know he has support.

Thank you Mike and Dan for your well wishes. I'll pass that along to him later today. And Mike? Nurse Patty - uhh - you mean the nurse who wanted to play patty cake with you? Naw - seriously these ones who work in the Mazankowski Heart Institute also graduated from beauty class. I almost had the big one imagining what I'd do if I was 35 years younger...

Well, gotta go now.

Hey, quick question before I do. I keep logging out from CO but everytime I come back it shows I'm still logged in. Anyone know WTH is with that? It's kind of the reverse of some folks complaining they can't stay logged in. Ok, Ciao for Niao.
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:13 PM

Since it's D-day and since you asked.

My uncle was an engineer on the 1st wave that hit 'bloody" Omaha Beach. He live well into his 80's was very jocular, loved to play golf and kid around.Only odd thing, he never went back to any beach ever. No Daytonna, no Panama city, nada. He never wanted to see sand and water again............and never did
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:14 PM

Allan, Prayers sent for your brother
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Always room for one more

Allan have you checked the box saying "remember me" on the home page? That will keep you logged in. The other side of that knife edge is if you uncheck that box it will log you off after so many minutes while viewing. What's the big deal, someone in your family gonna come on posed as you and cause trouble? If you were to go to another computer you'd have to log in. I do the log in/log out thing at work.

No I didn't want to play patty cake with Nurse Patty. I didn't imagine her to be gorgeous and I wasn't disappointed. Nice lady, we had a nice chat. Delta needs to learn what a nurse should look like. The other nurse is a twerpy little dude.

Doesn't look like I'll get anything done. The sky has lightened up but the thunder persists. And of course I had to turn on the TV. That ended any hope of accomplishment.
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo I've heard a lot of servicemen have similar "quirks" about them. Can't say as I blame them. Once when my brother was little he ate Wendys and a short time later became very ill with kidney problems. The Wendys had nothing to do with it but he still won't eat at Wendys.
Old June 6th, 2014, 02:07 PM

Got the ear muff out to give water to de Honda outboard in hopes of getting sum fuel in de drained carbs[for winter dry storage] Amazingly enough, 1 turn of de key and "Das Boat" fires right up on de trailer.

Took her to de ramp, slid her off de trailer, fires right up again. My bud drives off wit de trailer, she conks out and won't restart. Get a nice young kid on a jet ski to tow me across de cove 100 yds. Put her into de slip, fires right up again

De joys of boating..............maybe dats why de call dem "She"
Old June 6th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It's a bit late, but I just got back in. Thanks for the prayers Jim.
One of the staff for the administration came in while I was visiting. He described the operation in detail and it wasn't something I'd look forward to. They have to crack his chest open to do the procedure, and it's about 5 hours long. They also set his time slot at 0620 on Tuesday morning. I don't know how they expect someone to recover and be walking from that in only 3-4 days, but that's the plan. There's also the Personal Assessment Directive that needs to be filled out in case something goes wrong. I hope it doesn't.
Old June 6th, 2014, 09:39 PM
GM Enthusiast

Well, it's never easy these days trying to get some time to work on the cars but I did get more work done on the Cutlass engine bay today. Managed to paint the hood hinges with grey phosphate paint, and took out the wiper motor to clean and detail. Also got the insulator on the a/c muffler, that was fun. A few more small things to do, then it should be mint.

Allan - hope all goes well with your brothers surgery. Prayers sent.

Jamesbo - interesting story about your uncle. Many thanks for his service. Did he ever say why he never wanted to go back to a beach?

Mike - not sure what the difference is with the brands of pitman arms and idler arms. I do know the better ones like Moog, are made here and cost more money. Advance auto usually stocks the cheapy stuff that is probably offshore.

Well, time for bed, have a good night all.
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:03 PM

Mike, find another mechanic, no way that it should cost $900 to replace the pitman arm. lets say that you get one made of gold for 200 bucks, that means that he is charging $700 for labor @ the going rate of $65.00 an hour....that is not an all day job.
Old June 7th, 2014, 04:48 AM

Nice up ere in de mountains
Old June 7th, 2014, 05:04 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning one and all.

Nice morning here. Not quite 70 but muggy as all get out. Hope we don't see any rain today. Last night I wanted to go to the Awful house for my supper and waited until the rain quit and the thunder stopped. Well, the sun came out and I headed out and I wasn't even down the road when it started thundering again. The dogs were in their room. They dug another hole in the wall and made a huge mess. At least it wasn't the whole house.

Dan the 900 was for the pitman arm, the idler arm, and lower ball joints. Not sure if it was for the drag link. I like this place but they are pricey. They wanted 1500 to do head gaskets on my grey van. Now, a G-van has sucky access to the motor but that still seemed a little high. When the trans started going I parked it and that's when I got the blue van.

Jamesbo my idea for a short bed pickup was short lived. I mean, what was I thinking? Regular cab short bed I might as well get a VW.

Awful house and Walmart. Maybe go get my front end parts, although I won't have a chance to put them on until next week. I'll probably get the $90 parts, I don't want some piece made out of chinesium snapping while I'm driving.

Have a good one everybody. Prayers Allan.
Old June 7th, 2014, 05:20 AM

Good think'in Mike, My 4X4 extend cab needs rear doors. It's PITA to get anything in or out of de rear sat because of de high seat backs
Old June 7th, 2014, 05:39 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning all!

Sun and warm today. Sitting at Garro tire in Ravenna using the last of my free oil change coupons I won last year. Taking Lin shopping afterwards. Hope to get home and work outside.... my tan is fading fast!

Beautiful 71 Delta 88 Custom sitting here. Guy gas been restoring it. Dust on the hood... very nice shape inside and out.

Darrell... Nicole traded the Intrigue in on her new Hyundai Elantra.

BOP show tomorrow. .. hoping the rain holds off until late...

GTG... have a good day!!
Old June 7th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo your truck must be an early 90s. Don't know why it took them so long to put doors on -both- sides of the extended cab. Or why it took so long to get an extended cab in the first place.

What sort of gas can did you take to the mountains this weekend?
Old June 7th, 2014, 08:42 AM

I didn't take any. they're allready ere. Sum times I bring one to fill up wit gasoline w/o ethanol [de local gas station sell it fer boats] to use at home in weed whackes/ leave blowers tec.
Old June 7th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Old June 7th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Always room for one more

One for Three

Evening everyone.

Man I worked hard today. Did some dismantling on the trailer, and decided to see if I could power it up. Got shore power connected and sure enough, we had light. I thought I'd press my luck and see if the AC worked. And it did! Cranked right up and cooled after just a couple minutes. This after it sat unused for about 10 years. First win for me.

Then I thought I'd really try my luck and hook up water. Turned the water on and the connection gurgled and I thought, well, something is happening. Got inside and there was a huge leak under the galley cabinet. I planned on taking the cabinet out anyway so I started ripping and tearing and found a T on some of the plastic water line was cracked. Second win for the dark side.

Then, after charging the battery on the convertible all afternoon, I went to start it up, got barely a crank out of it. I guess the good doctor's new battery has gone tango uniform. As I held the key I could see under the hood and I thought, what's that light? It wasn't a light it was the screw holding the ground wire to the core support glowing red hot. Oops, I let the secret smoke out of the wire, no wonder it wasn't working. Third win for the dark side.

Aside from that, went to the Awful house this morning and Walmart, then also went to Office Depot for $100 worth of paper and ink and Petsmart.

So a good end to my weekend. Good meaning I was busy and attended to several things, as opposed to sitting around doing stupid things all day. Eh, I like my stupid things.

So, sleep in tomorrow, go back to Walmart, go to work. And stay up late tonight. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old June 7th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

2 years ago today I was the same age as my birth year. How time flies. For a change it was quiet this year.

Gotta go to Home Depot tomorrow and buy a whack of lumber and materials for the new deck. I went out and bought myself a present for Fathers Day. A nice Bosch 18 volt lithium Ion 3/8" drill with charger and 2 batteries. Good deal - only 99.00! It's nice to see that the batteries are charged when you get them. One nice thing about this drill is it has an LED light aimed at the drill head and it goes on when the trigger is pressed. Variable ratio from 1-1700 rpm and 400 inch pounds of torque, which is more than I really need.
Old June 7th, 2014, 07:05 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Evening All

Allan our prayers and thoughts are sent your way brother. Sounds like something we all should come better equipped for, but the rib "cage" is just that, a cage to protect the heart.

Jamesbo that scenario is why I choose to rent boats from da base and not own one 'cept my john boat that is paddle power or trolling motor powered.

Mike sounds like you did have a productive evening, if nothing else you know where you stand on a few projects anywho

Sandy that does stink about the Intrigue, I am sworn to never buy a Hyundai, Kia or anything of the sort that I cannot possibly rebuild if the need be. Although Dodge isn't a fave either unless it has a Hemi in it Especially there newer stuff (25 y/o or newer) that is.

Whelp Oldsmofriends have a great remainder of the weekend
Old June 7th, 2014, 07:21 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Allan R
2 years ago today I was the same age as my birth year. How time flies. For a change it was quiet this year.

Gotta go to Home Depot tomorrow and buy a whack of lumber and materials for the new deck. I went out and bought myself a present for Fathers Day. A nice Bosch 18 volt lithium Ion 3/8" drill with charger and 2 batteries. Good deal - only 99.00! It's nice to see that the batteries are charged when you get them. One nice thing about this drill is it has an LED light aimed at the drill head and it goes on when the trigger is pressed. Variable ratio from 1-1700 rpm and 400 inch pounds of torque, which is more than I really need.
'56 sure was a stellar year for the auto makers, and one of my faves on body styles. It'll be 2046 before I can say that line

Bosch makes a great drill along with other great power tools. Last purchase I made along those lines was a Hitachi 18v kit that included the sawzall, drill, flashlight, skillsaw, charger, 2 batteries and a nice carry case all for around $200. I have definitely gotten my $$$'s worth outta them too They don't have the new lithium ion batteries though, but they do their jobs perfectly.
Old June 8th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow, even the worm slept in today.
Old June 8th, 2014, 08:39 AM

Morning all, good to see everyone is okay.

Had to come say hi, been busy here cleaning up jobs before I head west back on the line. Been delayed due to all the rain, hope we leave soon.

Cheers all, I will talk more later
Old June 8th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning Kyle. Hope work is agreeable. How's the bug situation there? They're just starting to hatch and swarm here with the rain we've had last while. More forecast for the next 3 days too.
Old June 8th, 2014, 09:33 AM

Scot, Your right. "If it flies, floats or fornciates, ya better off renting"

Allan, Congrats on de wrom and de new drill.

Mike, your batting adverage wit de dark side sounds alot like mine.
Old June 8th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Testin out de drill today. Soon as de boy wakens....mebbe I'll jess hafta go waken him enyway. Daylights burnin

By de way, werm wit hot sos still taste like werm....
Old June 8th, 2014, 01:18 PM

Yes we have the mosquitos, they are bad.

Also we have the tent caterpillars too, they are all over. Been spraying them with hot water a dawn dish soap the get rid of some.

Been a slow start for spring, farmers are finally seeding. Hope the crops turn out for them
Old June 8th, 2014, 01:57 PM

6 months ago, we weren't too sure what was going to happen with Kelvin.

We celebrated his 12th birthday on Tuesday!!

And this is him today

Attachment 94147

Attachment 94148

Attachment 94149

Attachment 94150

Attachment 94151
Old June 8th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Always room for one more

Howdy everyone.

Nice day finally. Stayed up late last night so I could sleep in today. Well, just as I was planning for bed it started storming and the dogs went berserk. They would jump up on the bed and then jump down. They would pant and drool all over me and my pillows. Finally I took the comforter and went to sleep on the couch. Lights on to sort of cancel the lightning. They finally settled down and I slept a couple hours, then got up and went to bed, and slept until 330. So much for what I wanted to get done today. The dogs are still a little skittish, don't know why it's clear as can be out.

Kyle it's wonderful that Kelvin is doing so well. Looks like a happy fellow. Hope it all keeps up. Good luck with you work when you go back.

So Allan, are you saying that yesterday was your birthday? If I had the talent I'd have a multi-level deck with planters and gazebos and outdoor fireplaces. Instead I just have a porch.

I bought the Black and Decker kit of all those tools that ran on batteries. Then I lost the battery charger. I'm not the brightest sometimes.

Well I guess I'll head to work, it's Monday. Nine days and counting to the big trip to New Jersey. I think I'll take the black truck. It isn't the most thrifty but it doesn't have a bad front end, either.

Okay have a good evening everyone and I hope your week starts out well.
Old June 8th, 2014, 03:33 PM

2 years ago today I was the same age as my birth year
You were 12? Kinda big for your age aren't ya.
Old June 9th, 2014, 04:18 AM

Mawn'in all

Tis Monday so guess what?

I may have ta start anutter business
Old June 9th, 2014, 05:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning it is!
Wet here this morning which is going to limit what I had planned. Oh well, there's always something else that will pop up.

The idiots next door (de hells angels) parked a Dodge diesel with a 100 gallon spare tank in the box out front yesterday. Damn thing started leaking. I could smell it from the back yard. There was a river if diesel snaking down the curve heading for the storm drain. I called the dangerous good response team and they came out and cleaned it up. They also talked to tweedledum and put his address and tag on file with bylaw. Those fumes made me so sick I ended up hurling on the fence. Cleanup on aisle 2.....

Jim - It's all in de spelling isn't it? Go have fun letting whitey tease you.

Mike - Yup, you figured it out.

Kyle - Celebrate those miracles and successes all the time.

Dan - Yeah I guess I'm big for my age. It's not hard to accept aging, it's hard to accept the limitation it places on my body though.

Here's the Song of the Day
Old June 9th, 2014, 07:17 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Monday Mawnin All

Sunny, humid and hot here in the Deep South.

Allan I put 2 and 2 together but didn't get 4 Happy belated Birthday brother! I love the Mammas and the Papas.

Mighty risque towing company there Jim Good luck showing whitey what for
Old June 9th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Captain Starfire

Happy moon's day, all...

Kwik check-in. Today I gotta' tie up all kindsa' loose ends around the casa, including cuttinng the grass, which I put off 'til today. And if I still have time I'll go to the relatively new Wally World in Ponchatoula. Been once before and it's WAY cleaner and nicer than the one in Hammond.

Smack'em good, Jamesbo. Happy belated b'day, Allan! Big for your age, eh?

Well, let me get crackin' at dem loose ends. #1 is to pay state income tax, which I've been paying interest on since 5/15. What a genius I am.

Have a great one, Oldsmobuds.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 11th, 2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old June 9th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Always room for one more

Howdy everyone.

Nice day today. Slept good, too, which is rare. Rain bypassed us for now, hope it keeps on truckin' .

Allan many returns of the day. I had to enlist the help of my neighbors, but with all our fingers and toes I think I figured out how old you are. Are you the guy in the video who's son bought you the Chevy?

I'm praying that your brother does fine with his surgery tomorrow, and has a quick recovery. Oh Six Twenty in the morning I'll probably still be up. Dogs are out of food and I'll have to stop off somewhere on my way home to find some. Bad planning on my part.

Well my best to everyone and here I go. Night number two. Won't take much to beat last night, but I'm not expecting much. Have a good evening everyone.
Old June 9th, 2014, 03:52 PM
"Car"mudgeon

If my math serves me right... He is a year older than that lucky guy in the video Mike.
Old June 9th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What Chevy? What video? Enquiring minds want to know...Scot, did you pass math?