The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2021, 04:18 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Made it home around 1 today. The breakdown number was 105 but I have a feeling we did more. Perhaps the guy running the show is getting us ready for a good Friday. It's beautiful out today and in the 50s.

Weezer my car is literally the old woman's car. It is also an XE 3.5 and it's about to turn 69K miles. Still in very good shape. The biggest problem I have with it is the engine has this shuddering to it, that is easily overcome, I think it's some sensor but from what I've read it could be as easy as needing a set of spark plugs. That's on the list. It needs tires, which are some super sport tires that will cost me 800 bucks if I can't find a suitable alternative. The key fob doesn't work, but I believe that has something to do with replacing the battery, because the tire pressure thing doesn't work, either and both did fine before I took out the battery. The driver's door lock doesn't lock very often and I have to remember to push the button after I push the lock button on the door. It's a nice looking car, silver with a silver interior. At only 160K built over three model years, there aren't many around. It was an excellent car for my Mom and the only reason I have it now is because she had trouble getting in and out of it.

Greg, do I have to sell a used car to Carmax in Atlanta? No, I can sell it anywhere I want. I'm guessing that wasn't what you meant. I have sold to Carmax in the past, and also bought from Carmax. Both times I came away thinking it wasn't the best experience. Wouldn't go there again.

Well I'll find something to do. Hope everyone has a good Hump Day.
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii... ...

That's a $4500 - $5k car up here in MI with only 69k on the clock. Something I would *for sure* be interested in if you were able to solve the shuddering issue and weren't so damn far away. I averaged 38mpg overall, and it was dark blue metallic with silver cloth interior, which actually factored into my decision to turn it in. I cheaped out on the lease because I wanted to save $10/mo and not have leather. Man, I miss that car.

69k shouldn't be enough miles to need new plugs, though. GM uses 100k plugs, and has for some time (yes, I'm a GM homer and proud of it). You should run up to the local Autozone / AdvanceAuto / OReilly and have them see if it's throwing a code that isn't tripping the CEL. I would think any slight miss caused by bad plugs, wires, or some sensor would activate the CEL, but I'm certainly no mechanic and rely on a lot of YouTube how-to's to work on my two high mileage Buicks. Who knows, could be something as simple as needing to clean the MAF. A friend of mine was having some rough running issues, turned out there was a dead fly stuck to the MAF wire.
Old January 20th, 2021, 06:23 PM

Jamesbo, thanks for the laugh. Mike, replace the battery in the fob. If it still doesn't work, it may be the relay/receiver for it, which is in the leading edge of the hood, tucked up behind the hood latch. Why? damn if i know. Typical GM engineering nonsense. Try pricing a set of Continentals, I paid $600 for the last set on the Aura that I had. A very good tire. Norm...alternator Now for a little more serious stuff. got a phone call from my brother at work yesterday, barely an hour into my shift. My sister was rushed to the E.R. in Ludington, Mi. which is about 20 miles from where she lives, an hour north of me. Her daughter & son in law were flying down U.S. 10, and called 911 on the way, in order to meet an ambulance in route. My sister slumped over in the back seat, and they pulled over to do chest compressions, about that time the ambulance got there and took over, and transported her to Ludington. Unfortunately she did not make it. She went to the docs office last Friday, and he diagnosed that she had a viral infection, gave her a antibiotics and sent her home. When in the E.R they tried giving her oxygen, but said that she was getting zero to her lungs. She had pneumonia. Docs told my niece if they were to revive her that she would be a vegetable. My niece told them not to revive her. I will spend the next couple of days helping my niece out with arrangements. Caught totally by surprise.
Old January 20th, 2021, 06:29 PM

There are more differences than that between an alternator and a generator:

https://byjus.com/physics/difference...and-generator/

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-why-car...hey-1826966427

Last edited by Fun71; January 20th, 2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old January 20th, 2021, 06:38 PM

Dan - I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family during this sad time.
Old January 20th, 2021, 06:43 PM

prayers sent
Old January 20th, 2021, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
You spin a magnet INSIDE a set of wire windings (alternator)
Exactly. Below is a copy/paste from the web.

The alternator consists of a stator - a stationary set of wire coil windings, inside which a rotor revolves.

The rotor is an electromagnet supplied with a small amount of electricity through carbon or copper-carbon brushes(contacts) touching two revolving metal slip rings on its shaft.

The rotation of the electromagnet inside the stator coils generates much more electricity inside these coils.

Last edited by Fun71; January 20th, 2021 at 10:42 PM.
Old January 21st, 2021, 02:02 AM

Dan,

So sorry for your loss, If you need any help understanding making arrangements and not getting skinned. message me. I'd be happy help
Old January 21st, 2021, 03:42 AM

Dan, I am so sorry. That has to be tough.
Old January 21st, 2021, 05:53 AM

Norm, not sure of "proper" terminology, but I remember buying a 63 Buick Special as a kid. They seller was the original owner, and he talked about the new style alternator that was a first for that year, before that he said they had old style generators. Then later I took a automotive electrical class at the local community college and they explained that automotive generators charged DC (direct current) and didn't work very well at low RPM's. The "alternators" actually charged in AC- alternating current. That was newer technology, as they figured out diodes that could change the AC to DC to work with the DC system of a car. I am not sure if they taught it, or I just concluded that "ALTERNAT"ator was making "ALTERNAT"ing current- thus the name change. Any way it is interesting.
--All is well here in Big Ole Harrison, MI. I guess I am going to have to work on the neighbor's snowmobile this weekend. It has been left with old gas in it, I worked on it last year(rebuilt carb using old gaskets) and it ran pretty good, but this year it Boggs and won't go. He is a busy guy but knows nothing about engines, etc. I tried to tell him I didn't want to work on it but he didn't get it. I never told him I wouldn't work on it, I was trying suggest he take it to a dealer or something, His reply was "Oh, don't worry, l'm sure you can fix it and if it doesn't work I won't be mad.". So I figured as busy as he is at work,etc I would put it in his ballpark, and have him go to a dealer and get a carb kit.. He surely will drop the ball and be too busy to get the parts! No he is getting the parts. I actually thought he might not be able to get them- it is a 1990 model..... Ok have a good one!
Old January 21st, 2021, 06:46 AM

Good morning guys,

Rough day around here yesterday, not nearly as rough as Dan had, but still a bummer. My wife had her dentist appointment at 11:00 yesterday. They couldn't save her tooth, it was an ugly situation. We were there 3-hours while they dug it out, cleaned out a ton of infection and stitched her up. My wife did not have the advantage of good dental care when she was in her earlier years, and now unfortunately she is paying for it. Hopefully now she'll be feeling better in a day or two after the trauma has some time to start healing. However, down the road she'll be looking at some reconstructive procedures so she doesn’t lose the rest of her teeth. Ugh!!!

For me, this situation is exacerbated by the fools that do the billing/insurance at her dentist office (I use a different dentist). They can never seem to grasp the concept of dual insurance, and that the Primary has to be billed first, and then the Secondary will pay. They always charge us too much out-of-pocket upfront, because they can't figure how much both insurances will pay out in the end. Then after the insurances have paid them, I have to explain to them how they were overpaid by us upfront, and fight with them to get our money back. The situation is made even worse, by having to handle the dentist's billing people with "kid gloves" because according to my wife "I'm too hard on them". You'd think they'd be able to get it right after awhile, but nope, it's every stinking time!!!

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old January 21st, 2021, 07:07 AM

Chris - I see a volcano erupting & spewing magma in the St. Louis area - must be your place. I feel for you. Who hasn't had to deal with this crap at some time over the years. It makes your blood boil.
Norm - I'd be fine if I could just let the volcano erupt, but it would just create a different problem, I know you know what I'm talking about. I really don't like cleaning up someone's incompetence when it could be avoided if they would just do their due diligence on the front end. You're right, it makes my "blood boil". Now I'm going to go take some blood pressure medicine!
Old January 21st, 2021, 07:20 AM

About a year ago, I dumped my dentist of 20 years when I felt like I had bought him [and his staff] a dozen Porches. He never took insurance. So I switch to the one the Supermodel uses that does. A few months ago, I went in for a cleaning and when I finished tossed my master card to the nice lady. She told me one cleaning per years was covered and then asked me if my wife handled the finances. After I passed out form laughter. I politely said "no"

I had to force my wife to get a check book. She's always been a direct deposit call and transfer kinda girl
Old January 21st, 2021, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
About a year ago, I dumped my dentist of 20 years when I felt like I had bought him [and his staff] a dozen Porches. He never took insurance. So I switch to the one the Supermodel uses that does. A few months ago, I went in for a cleaning and when I finished tossed my master card to the nice lady. She told me one cleaning per years was covered and then asked me if my wife handled the finances. After I passed out form laughter. I politely said "no"

I had to force my wife to get a check book. She's always been a direct deposit call and transfer kinda girl
James - That's a great story, made me laugh and smile!!! I needed that!!!

I handle all the finances around here, which is just fine with me, since my wife does so much to take care of so many other things around here. We have joint checking and one joint credit card. She's so frugal I have to almost beg her to buy basic necessessities for herself. I think she's like that from having to live paycheck to paycheck much of her life. I'm sure lucky she is like she is, it makes it easy for me to make her feel like she's being spoiled!

My dentist is in his mid to late 40's I'd guess, and is both a regular dentist and oral surgeon. He's an Army West Point graduate, having served multiple tours in the Middle East. His skills are amazing, and his office runs like fine clockwork. Never an issue with anything. I've tried gently to get my wife to switch, but she likes the dentist she has, and I think alot of it is has to do with her dentist being a woman.
Old January 21st, 2021, 09:33 AM

James - I cannot stop smiling. A direct deposit call kinda girl! What a Super Model!

CALL AND TANSFER FUNDS TO PAY BILLS

Don't make me send uncle Louie to mess up your face
Old January 21st, 2021, 11:18 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Dan I'm so, so sorry about your sister. What a shock.

Good day at work. We were just shy of 100 at lunchtime, didn't count up the whole day. I'll do that tomorrow. I sure hope we're ahead and can get out mucho early tomorrow.

Norm I don't think General Motors ever called them alternators. They called them Delcotrons. They probably started with that after Chrysler started using alternators on the Valiant.

Chris I think the only way to solve the inept business people's problems at the dentist is to go in and have a pow wow with them, and set up a deal where you pay less out of pocket and then they bill you after all insurance has paid. If it happens continually then that to me is theft.

Greg some people don't get subtle. Good on you for helping him out. I don't have any neighbors to ask for help. Actually don't have any friends, either. Poor me.

Well I think Weezer has talked me into keeping my car. I am going to have to put some work into it. Even though it has been driven lightly it's whole life it still needs maintenance. For my first act of bravery I need to figure out how to uncloud the headlights.

Okay got a couple errands to run. Hope everyone is having a good day. One more to go.

Old January 21st, 2021, 12:16 PM

Hi everyone.

Well I think Weezer has talked me into keeping my car. I am going to have to put some work into it. Even though it has been driven lightly it's whole life it still needs maintenance. For my first act of bravery I need to figure out how to uncloud the headlights.

Okay got a couple errands to run. Hope everyone is having a good day. One more to go.
Mike - Meguiar's "PlastX" will polish the cloudiness off of plastic/acrylic headlight covers.

Old January 21st, 2021, 12:20 PM

. Actually don't have any friends,
I can name 4 John, his better half, me, and the Super model

I tossed in an Oxford comma jes to impress Norm
Old January 21st, 2021, 12:23 PM

Mike - Count me in your group of friends too!
Old January 21st, 2021, 01:01 PM

Everyone, thanks for the condolences. Much appreciated. Jamesbo, thanks, fortunately my sister had a will with instructions on how to handle things when she passed. I have given my niece a quick list of things to do, and I am sure that there will be more questions over the next couple of weeks. Norm, just giving you a hard time. But I have to wonder why the name change from generator to alternator in the early sixties when the new design was introduced, marketing? an attempt to get the consumer to accept the new fangled style of generator? I have always known the early ones from the early 60's and before as generators, you know, the big black units (not trying for humor there), and the smaller, more compact silver units as alternators. Been that way for decades amongst my car friends. Mike, count me as a friend. Ah yes, billing at our healthcare providers. I always get the "do you want to pay now" question from my dentist. I always tell them that I will pay online when I get the bill in the mail. My insurance always pays more than they think, and they either won't refund the difference, or it will sit in their files as a credit. Chris, damn, three hours. I hope that she is recovering without too much discomfort. One of my best friends son is in dentistry, he turned down a $410,000 a year offer from the State prison in Wisconsin, he is working at a dentist office making $200,000 a year while continuing his education, working on becoming an oral surgeon. A smart, nice kid, he should do well.
Old January 21st, 2021, 02:10 PM
Always room for one more

Chris I will look for this. Meguiars always has excellent stuff. Have you used it? A friend of mine says he uses bug spray. I'm not using bug spray.

Thank you everyone. I appreciate you all as friends, and I hope I am worthy of that title as well. What I really meant was I don't have any friends I can call on for help at a moment's notice. Used to have someone, then I thought I had someone, just gotta be creative with the planning sometimes.

Got my errands run. It's dismal out. Gonna crank up the stove tonight and relax before bed. But first, Pepper Steak.

Old January 21st, 2021, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155

But I have to wonder why the name change from generator to alternator in the early sixties when the new design was introduced, marketing?

Chris, damn, three hours. I hope that she is recovering without too much discomfort. .
Dan - In response to your question about the name change from generator to alternator, my understanding is it was to distinguish between the type of current each produces. Generators produce Direct Current (DC), the same kind of current used in your car and stored in the car battery. Alternators produce Alternating Current (AC), hence the name "Alt"ernator. The AC produced by the alternator has to be converted to DC by diodes before it can be stored in the battery and used by your vehicle.

Yes, we were there every bit of 3-hours, I think mainly because they were working her in as an emergency appointment, and working around the regularly scheduled patients. I went to Walmart to do some shopping while she was being seen, but that only took up about an hour of that time. The rest of the time I was just sitting in the car. She is doing much better today. She even went down to her shop to work for a little while. Thanks for the well wishes!
Old January 21st, 2021, 02:53 PM

Chris I will look for this. Meguiars always has excellent stuff. Have you used it? A friend of mine says he uses bug spray. I'm not using bug spray.
Mike - That is my bottle in the picture. I bought it to use on my 2000 Ford truck. It works.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 07:59 AM

Good morning guys,
Pretty morning, but cold at 30 degrees at 0900, and not supposed to get above 36. The highs in the low 50's for the past few days are gone for awhile.

My wife is doing better. She pushed back her house cleaning job she does for our elderly neighbors from yesterday to today. I knew she was definitely feeling better when she went down to her shop last evening to work on her project for a little while.

My oldest grandson Gabe is 8 today, it is hard for me to believe he is that old. He's into everything I was when I was his age. He loves sports, fishing, and motorbikes. He's already riding a Honda 50cc mini motocross style bike. He has two defining qualities, Fast and Loud! The boy wears my tired old **** out in a hurry, but he's a blast! Looking forward to the dual birthday party we're having for him and his younger cousin Ollie (2) on Sunday.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Gabe's bday party 2020
Old January 22nd, 2021, 08:43 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Home by 10. Just like we thought, the guy in the back was pushing extra wheels all week so we could get out early today. Don't mind a bit. It's cold and rainy here so I don't think I'll do much today, but all things being equal, I'd rather be at home than at work.

Went out to the car this morning and it wouldn't start. Perhaps this is my punishment for wanting to sell it. Got lights, dash, etc just no turning of the engine. Took the dogmobile instead. Don't think it's the battery but I'll try to jump it off, and if it is the battery it isn't that old so I can exchange it. If it isn't the battery, I'll have to stand back and scratch my head for a little bit.

Happy Birthday Gabe. And Ollie.

And now, lunch. I usually go to the Awful house after work on Fridays, but I was too late for my morning friends and too early for my afternoon friends. So I came home to see Tiger. Can't go wrong there. Have a great Friday everyone.

Old January 22nd, 2021, 08:50 AM

Mike - Good deal getting out that early, almost like a 3-day weekend! Thanks for the b-day wishes for Gabe and Ollie. Good luck with the car, hope it's an easy fix!
Old January 22nd, 2021, 09:21 AM

Heading north. Have a great weekend
Old January 22nd, 2021, 03:01 PM

Damn I did it again !! as I progress on my daughters vanity I decided to custom make the mirror since I could not find the size I needed. I had a old door mirror I had set aside a while ago and I have a glass cutting tool that I last used probably 30 years ago and have seen at least 500 times and now that I need it of course I cant find it !! I have a router table (to cut the groove) and the wood required to build the mirror frame but I don't have a angle/corner clamp, their not that expensive so I tell the wife I'm going to Harbor Freight for two things only, I will be back in a few.
NOT !!! I returned with a glass cutter a corner clamp, two 48 inch quick clamps and a moving blanket !! I'm not usually a impulse buyer
but my knees get weak and I cant help my self @ H.F. that's about the only place it happens. I knew I should have put 1/2 of what was in my wallet away before I left (that's what I usually do to avoid this situation) I knew it .Now it's not like I cant use this stuff as any wood worker knows you can never have enough clamps !I probably could have done without the moving blanket but it was only 3.99 and they come in so handy for protecting surfaces while wood working and handy when camping.
Next time I'm bringing the wife she's usually pretty successful at dragging me out of there before any real damage is done.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 03:50 PM

Good evening guys,

Solly - How true about Harbor Freight, it's like they spray you with some invisible "buy me" drug when you walk in the door. Absolute truth, it's my wife's favorite store with her woodworking hobby. She's definitely worse than I am in there.

Speaking of the wife's woodworking/refinishing, thought I'd post a couple of pics of where she's at with her current refinishing project. She forgot to snap a "before" pic, but both the desk and the filing cabinet were solid black paint when we got it. The previous owner had even painted over the metal pulls and decorative hardware, which when stripped turned out to be a beautiful copper color. She is finished with the filing cabinet, but still needs to put another coat of polyacrylic on the desk top and finish painting the lower half.

It was a really good day here now that momma's feeling much better. Hope everyone had a great day!

Old January 22nd, 2021, 04:26 PM

That Project looks Great !! I'm very lucky at this point The Olds doesn't need much so wood working projects keep me busy !!
The other weakness I have is Goodwill stores, I see plenty of treasures there, I see a lot of furniture there I could refinish but I really don't have a use for more furniture, however the gold there is the wood ! I don't live in a retirement community but there are several huge ones near buy and I believe they donate a lot of furniture The beauty is a lot of it is real hardwood furniture, some pretty old ,not particle board or plywood veneer. I seek out the coffee tables and end tables for the wood, cherry, maple, birch I have repurposed that hardwood on several projects.
Goodwill typically sells these tables anywhere from $6.79 - $14.79 I cant go in to Home Depot or Lowes or Woodworkers source and buy hardwood for that . I once found a old solid wood chifforobe there for $14 something pretty beat but I took it home cut it up and I think I used the wood for about 5 years of small projects. some day when I run out of family projects I think I'm going to seek out old hope/blanket chest
(there is no shortage of them on Craig's list and LetGo) re do them and sell them. I have done a few successfully and enjoy it.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by solly
That Project looks Great !!
Solly - Thanks for the compliment on her project, I'll let her know. Also going to let her know about the tip on Goodwill. We have a couple of Goodwills nearby and go occasionally to scrounge around, but really haven't taken much time to look at the furniture. I think she found the desk and file cabinet on Facebook Marketplace, and we paid $20 for it. She's going to refinish one piece or set at a time, and then sell it. Like you, we already have too much furniture as it is. We wouldn't have kept that last dinette set she did if it hadn't turned out so nice, and the fact she had always wanted one of those bar height sets. We were using a solid Birdseye maple set that was one of my parent's wedding presents that I had refinished 30-years ago. Now it's just sitting covered up in the basement
Old January 23rd, 2021, 05:54 AM

Good morning guys,
Cold here this morning at 19 at 0700, but supposed to get to 40 and sunny. No real plans for today. My wife is going to try to finish up her desk and file cabinet refinishing project, so I'll be in charge of taking care of all the dog's needs to keep them out of her hair. Sounds exciting doesn't it!!!

My girls never know what to get me for birthdays, Christmas, etc., so I tell them to just get me an Amazon gift card, then I promptly throw them in a box and don't use them. Dammit, I'm going to use them!!! Yesterday evening I ordered some stuff for the 442. Ordered a trunk organizer for chemicals, rags, etc. to take to shows that I can easily take out and shove under the car during the show. Also bought an automotive fire extinguisher, a scissor jack, and a cheap set of plain carpeted floor mats to use for everyday in the 442 to save wear and tear on my nice embroidered "442" mats. Also bought a Schumacher solar powered battery charger/maintainer for my truck. I'm excited about the solar powered charger, and hoping it eliminates the need to go out and start the truck up every 4 or 5-days just to keep the battery up, especially in this cold weather. You can just lay the solar panel on the dash and it will charge through one of the power ports. Birthday presents without getting older, you got to love it!!!

Have a great day guys!

Oh, meant to include this to start folks day with a smile, Bulldog Siamese Twins!

Bulldog Siamese Twins

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; January 23rd, 2021 at 06:28 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Also bought a Schumacher solar powered battery charger/maintainer for my truck. I'm excited about the solar powered charger, and hoping it eliminates the need to go out and start the truck up every 4 or 5-days just to keep the battery up, especially in this cold weather. You can just lay the solar panel on the dash and it will charge through one of the power ports. Birthday presents without getting older, you got to love it!!!
I hope you have better luck with that solar charger than I did. Even here in Phoenix with the intense sun it didn't put out enough to offset the drain of the car alarm, and the battery still went low. I discovered that the output changed dramatically with relation to direct sunlight hitting the panel - and I do mean dramatically. I tried to set the panel on the outside of the windshield, at the back of the hood, so it was facing directly at the sun during the mid-day hours, and that wasn't even enough. I finally gave it to a co-worker for a science project for his kids and bought a plug-in battery maintainer.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I hope you have better luck with that solar charger than I did. Even here in Phoenix with the intense sun it didn't put out enough to offset the drain of the car alarm, and the battery still went low. I discovered that the output changed dramatically with relation to direct sunlight hitting the panel - and I do mean dramatically. I tried to set the panel on the outside of the windshield, at the back of the hood, so it was facing directly at the sun during the mid-day hours, and that wasn't even enough. I finally gave it to a co-worker for a science project for his kids and bought a plug-in battery maintainer.
Kenneth - I hope so too! I've had good luck with Schumacher. I have a Schumacher 2/10/50 Amp Charger/Starter I've had for at least 25-years that still works like a champ. The Schumacher literature said this model still charges under cloudy conditions, but I'm sure it's not as much as full sun. My driveway faces directly south, so with the truck parked backwards in the driveway with the front facing the street, it will get sun all day. Guess we'll see. Worst case scenario if it doesn't perform as claimed, I’ll send the POS back! With the truck parked in the driveway full time, running an extension cord for a plug-in tender isn't an option I'm interested in.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 07:32 AM

Yes the solar panel will have an output even under cloudy conditions, but it will be very low. I measured the output of mine with an ammeter and even under indoor lighting it had an output - in the very low milliAmp range. Outdoors facing the sun directly the output was fairly good, but angling the panel 45º caused the output to drop to about 1/3 of that amount, so as the sun moves during the day the output will change dramatically, as I said above. It didn't work for me as the alarm drew a constant 40 mA and that was more than the 24 hour average output of the solar charger, so the battery would still go low over time.

My Jeep sits in the driveway as well, so I bought a 25 foot extension for the OUTPUT of the maintainer. I plug the maintainer in inside the garage and run the extension under the garage door to the Jeep. I hard wired a plug from the Jeep battery to behind the grill so it can easily be connected / disconnected in without lifting the hood, and it "auto unplugs" if someone (I figured the wife, but it's really been me) backs the Jeep out of the driveway without disconnecting it first.

Last edited by Fun71; January 23rd, 2021 at 07:35 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71

My Jeep sits in the driveway as well, so I bought a 25 foot extension for the OUTPUT of the maintainer. I plug the maintainer in inside the garage and run the extension under the garage door to the Jeep. I hard wired a plug from the Jeep battery to behind the grill so it can easily be connected / disconnected in without lifting the hood, and it "auto unplugs" if someone (I figured the wife, but it's really been me) backs the Jeep out of the driveway without disconnecting it first.
Kenneth - Thanks for the suggestion about an extension for a plug-in type tender. That will be my next course of action if the solar charger is a bust.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 08:21 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out and I don't think it will stay cold. I need to run over to the shop so it has to be warm for that.

Had a good time at the Awful house this morning. In fact I'm going to meet one of the guys later on for pizza. Funny, another guy is looking for a house in the same general area that I am, but he can afford more than me so we aren't competing against each other. Always something interesting to talk about at the Awful house.

So at the shop today, I need to see about pulling one of the Metropolitans out into the open. A guy I happened upon on the internet wants to buy one, and I said I had three that I'd sell, none of them in very good shape. He wants to make a race car out of one. He wants to come see it tomorrow. This woman I met through the Amphicar club talked me into getting a Met, and I found a guy selling three of them and a trailer. I've used the hell out of the trailer but really have no interest in the Mets. So they will go away. They actually have quite a following.

Okay time to get busy. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Old January 23rd, 2021, 11:55 AM

Y'all keep an eye on the weather. There are two fronts coming through Phoenix in the next two days that are supposed to bring a substantial amount of rain for us and snow for the high country. Something like an inch of rain in Phoenix (that's 15% of our yearly total) and 2 feet or more of snow up the hill. I didn't pay attention to what those fronts are supposed to do as they move further east, though.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=slantflat;1312378]Good morning everyone.
So at the shop today, I need to see about pulling one of the Metropolitans out into the open. A guy I happened upon on the internet wants to buy one, and I said I had three that I'd sell, none of them in very good shape.

Mike - You made me learn something today. I have seen pictures of Metropolitans before, but I didn't know Metropolitan was the model name, or that they were made in England for Nash. Do any of the 3 you have run?
Old January 23rd, 2021, 03:21 PM
Always room for one more

Chris I think any of them would run in a weekend. One of them was the guy's daily driver and had only sat a few months. It fired up with a jump. I've actually never driven a Met but I've ridden in a couple and I just don't fit. Nash came out with the Met around the time of their merger so there were Hudson Metropolitans as well. After the merger when everyone was American Motors both names were dropped and it was just Metropolitan. Some of them were registered as Ramblers. Some stayed in England and were Austin Metropolitans.

Just got back from having pizza with my buddy. A couple other people showed up and we had a nice time. Imagine, I went out on a Saturday night and I was home by 6. That sounds sad. Tiger and I are going to watch a movie, I'd rather stay home with him than be out all night.

So I went out to the car and big surprise it started right up. Now I'm wondering, was it just some glitch, or is this going to be an intermittent thing where I never know when it will happen or how long it will take to right itself. This is the kind of thing that has a mechanic pulling his hair out on the airplane. It usually gets signed off, could not duplicate. When it's broke all the time is when it gets fixed. I mean, you can't fix something if there's no problem present.

Six-twenty and still a little bit of light. Things are getting better. It's fairly warmish and has been all day, so a really nice day. I hope it's nice tomorrow. I didn't get the car moved when I was at the shop but it won't take long.

Well have a good evening everyone. Might even fix a drink. Whoa nelly!

Old January 23rd, 2021, 05:22 PM

Mike, my buddies brother had a Metropolitan convertible when we were about 16-17 years old. It had a bit of rust in it, and hence a bit of body flex being it was a convertible. If the top was down, he had to jack the back of the car up in order to fasten the top in place due to it's excessive amount of body sag.