The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2024, 07:09 PM
Running On Empty

I would like to see the term coupe employed only for women on the prowl - it would be a landmark statement - I like it. I'd immediately know who to stalk.
Old June 28th, 2024, 07:15 PM
Running On Empty

John - You could be onto something. Only specific models can be sold to specific women - married, married but playful, single, single/married on the prowl, single and a bitch, married and a bitch. Some of that already occurs but some of the cars these women drive don't align with their playfulness.
Old June 28th, 2024, 07:26 PM

I would like to see the term coupe employed only for women on the prowl
Well, Mercury did have a "Cougar".
Old June 28th, 2024, 09:01 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
It's too early for this $hit...
A tropical wave located several hundred miles west-southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands w/ a tropical depression formation chance through 7 days...high...90 percent
TS Beryl. Heading smack dab for Lesser Antilles. I hope it remains towards the South.

Old June 29th, 2024, 10:57 AM

Mike, here is video of this challenger. Not impressive. I turned sport mode on, traction control off, stood on the brake and floored it till it started to break loose, and dumped the brake. On my Monte Carlo, that would result in a modest 20 footer. On my Hurst/Olds, that would result in gnarly 50 foot 11s. This put down maybe a 6 foot skid. It is limited slip, either by diff or auto braking.

Old June 29th, 2024, 04:29 PM

Hi guys,

Went to a nice local show today at the Highschool my girls graduated from. It was to support the school Band Boosters. If you want to check out the pics you can see them here.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ssouri-180326/
Old June 29th, 2024, 05:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice and hot day today, and then it started raining. That's okay, I got the wheels swapped on the truck and a few little other things and cleaned up. The wheels give the truck a different look, and the tires stick out further now because the offset on the Suburban's wheels is less. I suspect the previous person did that to fill up the bigger wheel wells that resulted from the fender flares he put on.

I suppose after welding a top onto an open coach he called it a coupe because the passengers were then "couped up." All this talk messes up a pretty funny joke. Why does a chicken coop only have two doors? Because if it had 4 doors it would be a chicken sedan. Tip your waiter.

John I think your car is gutless on purpose. Automaker these days aren't interested in smoking up the place. Traction control and limited slip and skid control do their best to keep people from getting loose. Nanny stuff I think it's called. Pull the fuse and see if you can do better, but your brake lights probably won't work.

Gonna call my friend Leo tonight and he's going to help me put a file from my computer onto a flash drive. Then I'm gonna send it to him and he's gonna give it to someone with a 3D printer and print out what's on the drive. A Valiant.

Well it was nice to have the whole day to myself. Got lots done and Awful house in the middle of it all. Walmart tomorrow. Have a good evening everyone.

Old June 29th, 2024, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Nanny stuff I think it's called.
Yep, you got that right. Onboard nanny to ensure you don’t do anything that might be fun while driving. We can’t have that.
Old June 29th, 2024, 06:15 PM

Hi everyone.

Nice and hot day today, and then it started raining. That's okay, I got the wheels swapped on the truck and a few little other things and cleaned up. The wheels give the truck a different look, and the tires stick out further now because the offset on the Suburban's wheels is less. I suspect the previous person did that to fill up the bigger wheel wells that resulted from the fender flares he put on.

I suppose after welding a top onto an open coach he called it a coupe because the passengers were then "couped up." All this talk messes up a pretty funny joke. Why does a chicken coop only have two doors? Because if it had 4 doors it would be a chicken sedan. Tip your waiter.

John I think your car is gutless on purpose. Automaker these days aren't interested in smoking up the place. Traction control and limited slip and skid control do their best to keep people from getting loose. Nanny stuff I think it's called. Pull the fuse and see if you can do better, but your brake lights probably won't work.

Gonna call my friend Leo tonight and he's going to help me put a file from my computer onto a flash drive. Then I'm gonna send it to him and he's gonna give it to someone with a 3D printer and print out what's on the drive. A Valiant.

Well it was nice to have the whole day to myself. Got lots done and Awful house in the middle of it all. Walmart tomorrow. Have a good evening everyone.
Good point. It went back to Enterprise about 20 min after that video.
Old June 30th, 2024, 01:49 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Lazy day for me. Slept good last night, but got so tired after Walmart and took a couple hour nap when we got home. Why do today what I can put off till tomorrow. It's pretty hot out. I didn't really have anything planned for today so I'm not too bent up about it. Plus it was a nice nap.

Dumb week this week. We're off Thursday but working Friday. And we're working Saturday so I guess it's no big deal. This is the first year that I've been in the shop that we haven't worked the 4th. Don't know what's different.

So the front wheels on the truck contact the ends of the valance under the front bumper. I'm not liking that. And the rims have no taper in the holes, I wonder what holds them on. I'm going to swap lug nuts off the Suburban onto the truck, if they'll fit. If they won't, then the old wheels go back on the truck and I buy new tires. I was just trying to save 1000 bucks. Or more. Eh, it's only money.

Okay hope everyone has a good start to the week.

Old June 30th, 2024, 02:53 PM
Running On Empty

Why do today what I can put off till tomorrow.
Mike - That's been my motto since retirement. It's an excellent working model.

Was asleep last night @ 9:00pm, awoke @ 2:30am unable to get back to sleep. Was out in the man-cave vacuuming the truck & cleaning man-cave. Dead exhausted @ 6:30am, back to sleep @ 7:00am, up again @ 10:00am (power nap). At the driving range by 11:15am, played 18 @ 12:15pm, baked lasagna at a restaurant by 4:30pm. Brought home a piece of praline walnut chocolate cake & drinking a fresh cup of coffee.

Hopefully it will rain this evening for a good several hours. Lesser Antilles are going to have their A$$ES handed to them in the next 24hrs-48hrs. I've been to most of the Lesser Antilles Islands on several occasions. I have friends living on their 65' square rigged wood vessel in Grenada past four years. Gusts are currently forecast to be near 172mph as it roars through the Antilles.
Old June 30th, 2024, 03:16 PM

Norm - It sure sounds like you had an exhausting night. I hope your friends fare OK on Grenada, sounds like that storm is gonna pack a real wallop.
Old June 30th, 2024, 03:51 PM

Why do today what I can put off till tomorrow.
Mike, I think I mentioned before that I wrote the same thing on the inside cover of a textbook back in college. It was my slacker motto back then.

I sold that book back to the book store and one of my friends got it a couple years later, and there was a string of similar slogans written by subsequent purchasers.
Old June 30th, 2024, 04:28 PM

Lesser Antilles are going to have their A$$ES handed to them in the next 24hrs-48hrs. I've been to most of the Lesser Antilles Islands on several occasions. I have friends living on their 65' square rigged wood vessel in Grenada past four years. Gusts are currently forecast to be near 172mph as it roars through the Antilles.[/QUOTE]

Old June 30th, 2024, 05:27 PM

Well, spent a couple of hours moving the '69 around to get pics of the body, floor, trunk and engine compartment. My back is killing me, bucket seats are about 40-50 lbs. each, plus I unraveled the heads to take pics of them (stainless valve job several years back). Then pushing the car back to it's place in the garage. The Harbor Freight dollies suck, as they whould not swivel around when I wanted to put the car back. I had to grab a pair of channel locks, and grab and turn the wheels on the dollies in the direction that I wanted to push it. 800 mg of motrin ain't getting the job done. Up next, a hot shower.
Old June 30th, 2024, 05:37 PM

I did not do much today. I had a lesser power migraine, I seem to be aging out of the bad ones. Makes sense as I have been going hard for a month without a day at home. My head seems to view a stressless day off as time for a headache. My drug cocktail is a double dose of advil and a single dose of tylenol sinus headache. That seems to fix it in a few hours.

I bought a battery for my van last night. I want a 25-DLG Duralast Gold. That battery is discontinued, but at least the 25-DL is still made. That Ford 302 does not need 800 cranking amps, it can make do with 620.
Old July 1st, 2024, 02:55 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Mom didn't want me to bring the dog over so I slept a couple extra hours and came in for 6am. Boy did I sleep good. Tiger will be fine at home all day, just like he was before Mom came to Georgia.

Dan it sounds like you need a hot tub. If I had a hot tub I'd never leave the house. Thanks for saying that about the dollies. I was going to get some.

Sounds like few people came in for overtime this morning. Now we'll get a lecture from the lead, who by the way didn't come in himself, about getting the job done and not letting down the operation and we have a shortened week blah blah. Eh, screw him.

Okay have a good day everyone.

Old July 1st, 2024, 07:26 AM

Goodbye June.

Old July 1st, 2024, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Goodbye June

Old July 1st, 2024, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Goodbye June.
Kenneth - That's frickin nuts, 14-days at or above 110° in June, I feel for ya brother!

Speaking of June, where did it go??? 🤔 Seems like it just started yesterday???
Old July 1st, 2024, 12:46 PM

Goodbye June.
Nope, just too damn hot for me. Bigwigs from G.E. came through today, our boss asked us to work through our break so people would be working when they came into our dept. But of course they didn't come through our dept. A new mom and pop opened by me, grand opening today. Ribs, burgers and burrito's. They have another location that has been around a few years, so hopefully they'll last at this location. I'll cut my grass, shower, then go get some rib tips.
Old July 1st, 2024, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Nope, just too damn hot for me. Bigwigs from G.E. came through today, our boss asked us to work through our break so people would be working when they came into our dept. But of course they didn't come through our dept. A new mom and pop opened by me, grand opening today. Ribs, burgers and burrito's. They have another location that has been around a few years, so hopefully they'll last at this location. I'll cut my grass, shower, then go get some rib tips.
GE has only been in business since Christ was a Corporal so I am sure the so called "Big Wigs" know what a work break looks like. I'm sorry you have to work at a place like that Dan. What a bunch of fricken *** hat's....

Let us know how the new Mom and Pop Joint is. I always hope the best for those places that take their passion into the the deep end of start up's. Pictures if it work out...
Old July 1st, 2024, 04:46 PM

Funny, my boss looked at me when he asked that we take a late break, like I'm a dissident or something, the union steward told me to go ahead. I decided to play nice. The rib tip dinner will have to wait, they were packed w/no place to park.
Old July 1st, 2024, 04:58 PM

Made this bacon wrapped meatloaf in the electric smoker yesterday for supper, after making a couple thick cut pork chops I started earlier in the morning for lunch.
Pretty easy, smelled great outside on the porch all day long.
Old July 1st, 2024, 05:03 PM

Made this bacon wrapped meatloaf
Damn, that looks good.
Old July 1st, 2024, 05:18 PM

It was my first attempt at one. Like said pretty easy. Ground chuck, onion, celery, green pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic erb cheese, bread crumb, a little mayo, and olive oil for the binder. Formed in a plastic then bacon weave loaf pan, put in the freezer for about a 1/2hr before putting it in the smoker for a liitle over 4hrs at 275f
Old July 1st, 2024, 05:22 PM

Otto, I may have to make a bacon wrapped meatloaf sometime. Looks good.

Dan, I am intrigued by labor unions. We don't have them at Toyota, though there are big rumblings as of late, and maybe the Missouri casting plant did unionize. We get them for construction trades. I did a big install and had a huge crew over Christmas 21, and the steward grieved the millwrights for hauling away a dead electrical panel (he was IBEW). He then grieved my technician for unrolling a cable to check length. We rolled it back up for him and laughed. He then grieved the conveyor company because their programmer was not union. We asked him if he thought PLC programming was part of the IBEW. I started to practice my umpire tossing motion because I was going to throw him out, but he calmed down and caused no more issues. He did get blackballed from future work here.

I have no issue with unions. I wish they weren't needed, but, as long as corporations are allowed to abuse workers, we need them. I wish I were in one; I'd have been much further along than I am now.
Old July 1st, 2024, 05:34 PM

John do try the meatloaf with a bacon wrap, use thick cut Oscars or similar, I also gave it a brownsugar, coarse ground pepper crust.

And yes labor unions are vital now more than ever. These corporate pin head f*&%K's need checks and balance.
Old July 1st, 2024, 05:35 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Damn, that looks good.
x2 Oh yeah.
Old July 1st, 2024, 05:47 PM
Running On Empty

Beryl is now expected to achieve wind gusts of 184.125 mph.
Old July 1st, 2024, 06:08 PM

Old July 1st, 2024, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
John do try the meatloaf with a bacon wrap, use thick cut Oscars or similar, I also gave it a brownsugar, coarse ground pepper crust.
Keith - That meatloaf looks absolutely killer! 👍
Old July 1st, 2024, 06:24 PM

It did turn out good Chris, I did forget to mention in the mix I also added a large diced up dill pickle. That with the other veggies added, and minimal mixing made a super moist and tender loaf, real flavorful as well. I know you don't care for bacon much...
Old July 1st, 2024, 06:28 PM
Running On Empty

Chris' bacon breakfast..

Old July 1st, 2024, 06:34 PM

Old July 1st, 2024, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
It did turn out good Chris, I did forget to mention in the mix I also added a large diced up dill pickle. That with the other veggies added, and minimal mixing made a super moist and tender loaf, real flavorful as well. I know you don't care for bacon much...
Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris' bacon breakfast..

Yep, I sure do love my bacon. BLT's done right are my favorite sandwich hands down. The best I've ever had comes from Crown Candy Kitchen right here in St. Louis. They have been featured on many national food shows. Their signature sandwich is the Heartstopper BLT. This is half a sandwich in the picture. I will eat 2 whole sandwiches with their large signature Butterscotch shake.

Old July 1st, 2024, 07:45 PM

Apparently that storm did a number on some islands. Incidentally, Beryl is pronounced BURR ull. Weather channel chick said Barrel. I had a great uncle named Beryl, he died when I was a kid; I remember visiting a few times.
Old July 1st, 2024, 08:12 PM
Running On Empty

Here's a voyage I did on the S/V Yankee Clipper of Windjammer Barefoot Cruises in 1998. The trip is plotted if you follow the line which also demonstrates where we anchored. Beryl just plowed directly over Carriacou Island.

Old July 2nd, 2024, 05:35 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Day two of 6am. I kind of like it. Slight breeze this morning and the temp was 80, so I had the top down on the Fiat driving in. It was wonderful. I don't usually put the top down in the mornings, because Tiger is in the car and then when I leave Mom's I'm in a hurry and just don't do it.

Speaking of Fiat, I don't think I told you guys I got cracked up in traffic last week. Wasn't bad, but there's a big scuff and some material missing on the back bumper. Some old broad not paying attention. Anyway, I'm guessing the bumper fascia will have to come off to refinish it, would make any difference to the tea in China if I put sound deadening material inside the fascia? Yes I know the back bumper is outside of the passenger compartment. The car is fairly loud inside, partly due to the soft top, but I thought it might do something. Give it a bit of a heavier feel maybe.

The overtime people signed 18 wheels this morning, and the lead said that wasn't good enough. He's lucky anyone showed up! Yesterday they did 5, but he didn't say anything about that. Even now, the 830 break started at 810. Why doesn't he say anything. Eh, above my pay grade.

John we have several unions in our company but somehow maintenance and the ramp have managed to keep them at bay. I can only imagine that after 95 years of not having a maintenance union, starting one up would be detrimental. About every other year the ramp people start up union talk, but they are not organized enough to go through with it. Those people would hate life if they had one I am sure.

Got a doctor's appointment after work today, so nothing will get done. Supposed to be cloudy all day, not sure about rain.

Hope everyone has a good day. Norm hang in there.

Old July 2nd, 2024, 12:34 PM

Chris, where's the beer to go woth that BLT? John, the union can be good or bad. I have had friends in a small company with a union, I heard them complain about getting screwed over. They, and many of their co workers were convinced that their union was in cahoots with the company. 30 plus years ago I worked for a non union shop, I was white collar. we had a trade show at McCormick Place every spring, we had bakery cases and refrigerated cases. We were not allowed to plug them in, the union there had to do it or all hell would break loose. Overkill in my opinion. Where I'm at now, the electricians and millwrights don't butt heads, if the wrong work order is submitted for a millwright, they'll show up and say it's the electricians job, and promptly call one on thier two way. We give each other grief all of the time. We get along pretty well.