The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2024, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, where's the beer to go woth that BLT?
The place that sells those BLT's unfortunately does not have a liquor license or I'd be having one.

My one experience being in a union was when I worked for Kelloggs as a summer job between 1977 - 1980. American Federation of Grain Miller's, a subset of the AFL-CIO. It was great for me as a college kid because the pay was so incredible, $17hr way back then, time and a half anything over 8hrs in a day and Saturday, double time on Sunday, and triple time on holidays. I worked every Sat/Sunday all summer long and made a small fortune for a college kid. The downside was finding the sweetspot where you weren't working so hard that it made the regulars look bad, and still didn't **** off the non-union foreman. It was a fine line to walk, but worth it, since it kept my folks from having to shell out anything for my tuition.
Old July 2nd, 2024, 02:29 PM

Chris, the guy that I bought my '69 from, worked as a contract electrician at Kellogs.
Old July 2nd, 2024, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, the guy that I bought my '69 from, worked as a contract electrician at Kellogs.
Dan - My Mom was the head nurse in their employee health unit for +25-yrs, and my Aunt (Mom's sister) was the Secretary to the CEO for many years. The same Aunt's husband was an industrial engineer there, and two of my Mom's brothers also worked there on the lines. I had several "Ins" there, and you had to know folks there to have any hope of getting a summer job and I felt very lucky to have done so!
Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

The overtime people must have done a good job because the lead was pleased at 6 when we had our meeting. My wall guy is slower than usual this morning I don't know why. I don't really care.

Chris that's cool that you had family where you worked. When I was little, my plan was to work with my Dad. He was a traveling salesman for Black and Decker. He sold industrial air tools. I envisioned riding along with him when he left on his trips for the week. Looking back I see that wouldn't have worked for several reasons. As it turned out, he died when I was in high school and where I ended up is far from industrial air tools. Not to mention Black and Decker is no longer around, in its original form anyway. Growing up most of my tools were B&D. I still have my electric edger, hedge trimmer, drills, hand held jigsaw, all which are older than I am. I also have the Workmate workstand. I have a contemporary B&D electric lawn mower that is pitiful compared to the one I had in the 70s.

Saw the dermatologist yesterday. She nipped a couple things, checked me out from stem to stern and sent me packing. Good report. I'm always a little concerned.

Got a couple errands to run this afternoon then I can stay up late, since we're off tomorrow. Still have to end early so I can get up for work Friday. Dumb. But nobody asked me. Sounds like Awful house in the morning.

Hope everyone has a good Hump Day!

Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Chris that's cool that you had family where you worked. When I was little, my plan was to work with my Dad. He was a traveling salesman for Black and Decker. He sold industrial air tools. I envisioned riding along with him when he left on his trips for the week. Looking back I see that wouldn't have worked for several reasons. As it turned out, he died when I was in high school and where I ended up is far from industrial air tools.
Mike - I'm so sorry you lost your Dad at such a young age, that had to be really rough on you guys. That's cool you have all those B & D tools from your younger years. One of my most cherished possessions is the set of Craftsman tools my Dad gave me for Christmas in 1976, almost 50-yrs ago. I still have at least 95% of that original set. They came in this Craftsman tool box that is built like Fort Knox. They sure don't make em like this anymore.

Glad you got the all clear from the Derm Doc, that's always a good feeling! Have a great holiday! 😃
Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM

Good morning guys,

Wet is the description for what's going on here. Supposed to keep raining with multiple waves throughout the day today, this evening, and all day tomorrow. Some of the bands are supposed to be more severe with the chance of high winds and hail. Right now it's just a light rain so Monty is not freaking out which I'm thankful for.

I had hoped to go to this Car Show (pic) today, an annual event on July 3rd every year for a local Church where the entry fee is assorted food items to stock a Food Pantry. I've been to it the last 2-years and it was a very nice show..

There is also another nice show scheduled for tomorrow that I'm sure is not going to happen now. Maybe they'll reschedule one or both, but the original info flyers did not mention potential rain dates. Next event, the very large cruise-in at the mega Church that I've posted pics of several times is Friday afternoon/evening. My buddy with the '66 Vette is meeting me there. Right now Friday is supposed to be dry.

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable 4th of July.
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks Chris. I didn't realize how tough things were until looking back later on. We just did what we had to in order to live and survive. Not something I'd wish on a lot of people.

Left for lunch at 16 wheels. Not terrific. Though I think we only need a handful to hit our number for the day. Now both the mom and the son are gone from my lunch place, but I went today anyway just to see how it was. Still good. I'll keep going as long as it's still good. The people seem nice so no need to stop going. Nice to get out of the bunker for a little while.

Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM

In my old age I am getting more and more against the waste of fireworks . I love the 4th of July I am just getting against the fireworks celebration. It may have started when my neighbor's mule had a heat attack and died a few years back. So this year rather than contribute cash to ANY fireworks 'Cause" I'm going to send a check to and animal shelter I hope it does more good than a 30 minute series of explosions that scare dogs horses,mules

End of rant
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
So this year rather than contribute cash to ANY fireworks 'Cause" I'm going to send a check to and animal shelter I hope it does more good than a 30 minute series of explosions that scare dogs horses,mules
Hallelujah and Amen! 👍
Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM
Always room for one more

Good on you Jamesbo. Fireworks don't bother Tiger so much, but my other dogs would turn inside out. I can see where animals would be so frightened by fireworks that they keel over.

So we finished right after we got back from lunch. Before noon. And we sit. I'm gonna get up in a minute and see if everyone else in the shop is sitting or if we're the only ones still here.

Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM

Tanks guys I have no idea what communities spend but t the lake the home owner association is always stumpiiing to raise 150 k for roughly a 30 minute show. I can think of lots of things that they could spend 150 k on that would make a difference

I understand the tradition but "Doing the same thing over and over.............................................. ................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, .................................................. ...............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

Local town facebook group evansville watch reminded us to not walk dogs or run yard equipment early in the AM since people will be up late shooting **** off. I am tempted to fire my 16 horse Briggs at 0700 Friday.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Local town facebook group evansville watch reminded us to not walk dogs or run yard equipment early in the AM since people will be up late shooting **** off. I am tempted to fire my 16 horse Briggs at 0700 Friday.
Well that's right neighborly of them to think the people who stayed up late detonating fireworks and keeping everyone else awake late need to be left alone in the morning so they can sleep.
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM

One samll car show for me on Saturday, at the local Harley dealership. Used to be one in Allendale, Mi. during the 4th weekend, about 25 minutes from me, but I can't find any info this year. Must be kaput. I agree on the fireworks to an extent, local fireworks displays for the town you're in, but nada to every butthead who thinks that it starts days before and ends days after the 4th. We passed an oridinance a couple of years ago for that specific reason, but it's not enforced.
Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

Used the fogger from last year's wasp wars to take out a new nest. My place has recesses under some of the soffet at a window frame, if the soffet is over that window, where they like to set up. Killed two and soaked their nest. Found another chilling in the back yard, hit him enough he put it into emergency climb and btfoed. I need to get some more spectracide, I like the foam shot over the fogger.
Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
Running On Empty

John - Foam far better than fog.
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
John - Foam far better than fog.
Fire far better than foam.

Did you know you can make a flame thrower with just about any aerosol spray can? Lysol makes a wide orange flame, Liquid Wrench shoots a stream of flaming liquid.
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM
Running On Empty

Chrysanthemums are an excellent deterrent to wasps/hornets & many insects. They produce large quantities of terpenoids. The mint family of plants yields high concentrations of select terpenoids. Wasps/Hornets hate the smell of any mint and you'll never see a wasp/hornet nest anywhere near Chrysanthemums or Mint plants.

Hell yeah to aerosol cans. The 1st thing you learn in orgasmic chemistry are the 1st ten alkanes: methane, ethane, propane, butane, pentane, hexane, heptane, octane, nonane & decane. Basic orgasmic chemistry students generally don't go much higher than decane unless they elect to pursue chemical engineering or physical chemistry. The 1° ingredient in most aerosol cans is iso-butane. Iso-butane (the name) is no big deal - the chemical molecule is butane - exact same number of carbon atoms with just a different arrangement of the atoms (e.g. an isomer of the same molecule i.e. arranged differently).

Flame throwers are cool. I've made a dozen or so spud (potato) cannons. Hair spray (iso-butane) has always been my accelerant of choice.
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM

Norm, I did this once when young and dumb. Maybe again some day. I disassembled the valve off a butane lighter. So, now I had a lighter permanently on. So, I lit it and noticed it was melting. So, I put it on my front walk of my parent's house, and pointed it down the walk. It melted through the restricting orifice and proceeded to put the flame out as the butane flashed to gas and provided a great degree of propulsion resulting in the lighter body tearing down the walk and getting about a foot of elevation as the ground sloped and it maintained course. I think it might have hit 50 ft/s by the property line and flew across the road into the woods.
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
Running On Empty

I remember my 1st attempts in experimental science, where parents should never allow children to play w/ matches. I was fascinated w/ stick matches & how they worked (I was maybe 9 or 10). I reasoned if I had enough of that stuff at the end of each wood stick match I could get it to propel like a rocket - so the experiments began w/ aluminum foil rolled up like a cylinder stuffed w/ the scrapings of as many match sticks I could find. I suffered many failures but finally got some to launch horizontally down a sidewalk - not far enough though. Then the parents found out they were missing lots of those boxes of matches they used to start the outdoor grill. This was followed up my 1st endeavors mixing an acid w/ a base to create a bottle rocket (baking soda + vinegar). I got pretty good at making those. I was then hampered by running out of both ingredients since I had no money to buy anything and when my friends found out I could build these bottle rockets the parents all started running out of both vinegar & baking soda.
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Tennis ball cannons were the favorite dangerous project in my neighborhood. Propellant was liquid lighter fluid. They were especially fun at night watching those flaming tennis ***** blast into the sky. Simply amazing none of us ever got burnt that I can remember.
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

So I got home from work today and figured I’d jump in the pool to cool off.

Well I guess “cool off” is a relative term.

Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
So I got home from work today and figured I’d jump in the pool to cool off.
Well I guess “cool off” is a relative term.
You don't have a pool, you've got an olympic size hot tub!
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

A few more degrees and it’s a giant crawfish boil pot!
Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Tennis ball cannons were the favorite dangerous project in my neighborhood. Propellant was liquid lighter fluid. They were especially fun at night watching those flaming tennis ***** blast into the sky. Simply amazing none of us ever got burnt that I can remember.
Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I remember my 1st attempts in experimental science, where parents should never allow children to play w/ matches. I was fascinated w/ stick matches & how they worked (I was maybe 9 or 10). I reasoned if I had enough of that stuff at the end of each wood stick match I could get it to propel like a rocket - so the experiments began w/ aluminum foil rolled up like a cylinder stuffed w/ the scrapings of as many match sticks I could find. I suffered many failures but finally got some to launch horizontally down a sidewalk - not far enough though. Then the parents found out they were missing lots of those boxes of matches they used to start the outdoor grill. This was followed up my 1st endeavors mixing an acid w/ a base to create a bottle rocket (baking soda + vinegar). I got pretty good at making those. I was then hampered by running out of both ingredients since I had no money to buy anything and when my friends found out I could build these bottle rockets the parents all started running out of both vinegar & baking soda.
My trick was from a middle school time of building model rockets and Florida's godless commie laws of no flying fireworks. I'd come home for Christmas and the summer from whatever school I was doing, and my high school buddy would hang out and we'd party at his apartment with his roomies while they were at school, UCF. So, one Independence Day, this was probably 2001 or earlier, I got an idea. I went to Colonial Photo and Hobby, picked up some Estes engines, cardboard tubes, and balsa wood. Then I went by a big tent fireworks stand and bought a few fountain ground fireworks. My buddy and I made large model rockets and payloaded them with the internals of these fountains, which were three fireworks tubes rigged sequentially (that part is important.)

So, we got there, grilled out, got drunk. It was prime firework time. So, we put this guide rod between a couple cinder blocks and put one on there. Something about a two foot unpainted homemade rocket made people think we were serious and a crowd gathered. Fuse was lit, that thing took off, payload was light enough, got way up there, burned the ejection charge, and the fountain burned the whole way down. Looked great. Same for the next three. The last one had a bigger fountain, so more time, and less altitude. It crashed down onto an apartment roof still going, bounced off, hit a car, and quit. We decided that was enough.
Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM

John - Great story! 👍
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM
Running On Empty

John - Yeah, my heart was pumping thinking of that hitting the apartment roof. Yikes.
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

John, we would have been best buddies in school.
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

Sigh.

Happy 4th to those who can actually enjoy this national holiday.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

For those who claim “but it’s a dry heat”.

10-year-old boy dead after hiking in triple-digit heat at South Mountain

https://ktar.com/story/5578583/10-ye...outh-mountain/
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
In my old age I am getting more and more against the waste of fireworks . I love the 4th of July I am just getting against the fireworks celebration. It may have started when my neighbor's mule had a heat attack and died a few years back. So this year rather than contribute cash to ANY fireworks 'Cause" I'm going to send a check to and animal shelter I hope it does more good than a 30 minute series of explosions that scare dogs horses,mules

End of rant
Jim - Good to hear you back.
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
For those who claim “but it’s a dry heat”.

10-year-old boy dead after hiking in triple-digit heat at South Mountain

https://ktar.com/story/5578583/10-ye...outh-mountain/
I fail to see the significance in "...it's a dry heat" as it relates to the death of a 10-year-old boy. I'm pretty sure you can die from any triple-digit heat if you haven't been drinking enough water or haven't been maintaining a balance of electrolytes. Unfortunately, the article is far from providing any details regarding the boy's parents, chaperones, availability of water, etc. I don't think it is a wise decision to be taking any 10-year old on a hiking trip in any triple-digit heat regardless whether it's dry or not dry heat.
Old Today, 07:07 AM

I hope you all have a safe and enjoyable Independence Day.
Old Today, 08:05 AM

Happy 4th of July everyone.
Old Today, 02:13 PM
Running On Empty

Happy Independence Day everyone.
Old Today, 04:28 PM
Running On Empty

I am so close to being where I want to be w/ my game...I feel I can consistently shave off ~3-4 strokes/game and remain in the mid- to high-70s. More range time practice is what I need. I'm certainly consistent.
Last eleven games: 81, 81, 80, 83, 80, 80, 82, 83, 82, 81, 79
Old Today, 05:04 PM

Norm - You've certainly been playing well. Best of luck shaving those additional 3 or 4 strokes off!
Old Today, 05:10 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I wish I could afford to put more time into the driving range. If I had deep pockets I'd contract out my landscaping, lawn maintenance, home/building maintenance/renovations/repairs, appliance repairs, etc.