The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2024, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Kenneth - Very cool you had a track day at Bondurant.
x2, I bet that was a real blast! 👍
Old June 26th, 2024, 08:17 AM

Good morning guys,

It rained on and off thru the evening yesterday, thru the night, and into this morning. It was heavy at times with lightning/thunder, but no high winds or hail. Just enough to send Monty into his usual tizzy and hiding in the hall bathroom, the most interior room in the house and the quietest. Much cooler behind this front, it's only supposed to get up to 83° for a high today which is a a welcome break.

Supposed to be dry and temps inching back up into the 90's by Friday, but nothing like it was. Of course the forecast is for the chance of rain/storms to rachet up on Saturday when I was hoping to go to a nice show put on by the Athletic and Band Boosters at the Highschool that my daughters attended. The good news is it's only 6-miles from me so I can make a last second decision.

My daughter Blaire and Gabe are at a large Boy Scout Camp near Hardy, AR (NE Arkansas) all week. Between the heat and the storms I'm hoping they're making it OK. They're sleeping in the old fashioned canvas 2-person Army tents, erected over raised wooden floors, with cots. I'm sure it's pretty damn steamy in there at night. The camp is on a river, and there are alot of watersport activities planned for them to stay cooler during the day. They do have an A/C cooled Mess Hall and shower/bath facilities. Trips to sanctioned camps like this allow the boys to earn several Merit Badges in a short amount of time.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old June 26th, 2024, 08:40 AM
Always room for one more

Well my Wednesday lunch place is still viable. The son is still there and the food is the same. Hope it lasts, although I wish a better life for this man other than second fiddle to new owners of his parents' old place.

Chris I haven't forgotten about the Imperial pictures. Probably this weekend I'll get out the battery charger and see if I can get a few miles under my belt. And don't call it a Chrysler! The company spun off Imperial into its own make in 1955, to try to make it more exclusive. Not sure if it worked but the Imperial was way ahead of Cadillac and Lincoln, right up there with Packard. Does your friend still have a Valiant or did he once have a Valiant?

I stopped before lunch with 27 wheels, that's pretty good. I told my friend yesterday that I had about double what I normally do and he asked if I got a bonus for that. I said, are you kidding me? So we'll do good this afternoon. Less than 30 to go.

Old June 26th, 2024, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat

Chris I haven't forgotten about the Imperial pictures. Probably this weekend I'll get out the battery charger and see if I can get a few miles under my belt. And don't call it a Chrysler! The company spun off Imperial into its own make in 1955, to try to make it more exclusive. Not sure if it worked but the Imperial was way ahead of Cadillac and Lincoln, right up there with Packard. Does your friend still have a Valiant or did he once have a Valiant?
Mike - That's nice the Korean place is still there and the Sons still working. I hope the place remains viable for ya.

I did not know Imperial was spun off as it's own make/brand for awhile. You taught me something new. I just sent my Mopar buddy a text asking how many Valiants he owns, what years, and body styles. I'm sure he told me at one point but I just don't remember at this point. Like you, he has several old classics in various conditions, some running, some not.
Old June 26th, 2024, 09:52 AM
Always room for one more

That's funny. Mexicans running a Korean place. Even if the son leaves I'll still go as long as the food is the same.

Chris that sounds like the description of my fleet, some running some not. I have precious little time anymore to work on cars. That's okay. It really felt good to work on the black truck over the weekend. Shocks are an easy job but it was working with tools and getting my hands dirty nonetheless.

I finished reading the 69 pages of the original Good Morning Post. Odd that the new version morphed into the New Good Morning Thread. Also funny(peculiar) that both guys that started the threads have stopped showing up. Pat would be happy that his blunder was not what it appeared. For those newcomers, Pat was a moderator and when he tried to delete some spam on the Good Morning Post, he deleted the whole thing. Other administrators came and said it was gone forever. But alas...

Gonna be 100* this afternoon. I might reconsider my idea of mowing this afternoon.

Old June 26th, 2024, 11:37 AM

That's funny. Mexicans running a Korean place.
One of the best Mexican restaurants where I used to live was run by Asians. Weird, ain’t it?
Old June 26th, 2024, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I just sent my Mopar buddy a text asking how many Valiants he owns, what years, and body styles.
Mike - I just got a response from my Mopar buddy. He currently does not own any Valiants. He owned 2 at one point in time but sold them to make room for other cars. Here's the list of pre-1980 Mopars he owns:
- 1963 Dodge Dart 270 convertible
- 1967 Dodge Coronet 500, a survivor car that's his daily driver
- 1970 Dodge Polara 4-door hardtop
- 1972 Dodge Demon
- Two 1972 Plymouth Suburban Wagons, one will be used as a parts car for restoration of the nicer one
- 1973 Dodge Dart 4-door Custom, this one is currently in the process of restoration. He plans to give it to his daughter when its finished.
Old June 26th, 2024, 01:58 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
One of the best Mexican restaurants where I used to live was run by Asians. Weird, ain’t it?
Not weird if they sold Rat-On-A-Stick.

Old June 26th, 2024, 02:02 PM
Running On Empty

It was scorching playing 18 - 96°F, 83% humidity.
Old June 26th, 2024, 02:15 PM

Norm - That sounds more like punishment than fun.
Old June 26th, 2024, 02:22 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - That sounds more like punishment than fun.
It was hot. The 15 mph wind made it tolerable. I had a cart, also.
Old June 26th, 2024, 02:40 PM
Always room for one more

I used to go to a diner that was owned by Koreans but was decidedly Greek. I asked about it and she said the place used to be owned by Greeks and when they sold out the Koreans kept the cook.

Chris that's a nice selection of Moparia. He should have kept the Valiants. Those wagons sound cool.

Well I didn't do squat when I got home. I'm not going to work outside when it's 100. My uncle tried that, didn't work out so well for him. Maybe over the weekend I can do something earlier or later in the day.

Left work about 20 after 2 today. The lead, of course, left long before then and the self appointed guy said leave. It's hard to have respect for a leader who does such a crappy job of leading.

Old June 26th, 2024, 02:41 PM
Running On Empty

Truck shocks are arriving (via FEDEX) early (this Friday) instead of next Monday. Think I'll get the jack stands ready & evaluate the 3 ton floor jack. I think I noticed it requiring more pumps than normal and struggling to lift to capacity last couple times I used it. I should check hydraulic fluid, I guess.
Old June 26th, 2024, 02:52 PM

Well, I'm back now that my internet is back up. Norm, I know about that wierd feeling that we get when the air goes silent during a storm, maybe something for survival that we saved from our knuckle dragging days. Got home yesterday after the storm turn around. received a text at 8:35am from the company stating that the entrance had been cleared, and power was back on. Called my boss, told him that I would be there in 30 minutes. HA! 1 1/2 hours later I pulled back into my garage. U.S.31 was closed down, I took old 31, a two lane, figuring that I could detour west, and sneak in the back way. No such luck. they diverted the US 31 traffic west, and every single road north was block by debris. I kept trying to edge west, as ther are several side roads that I can take north to avoid the main roads, except every local was doing the same thing. I was on a dirt road in bumper to bumper traffic, frequetly with only one lane open due to fallen trees. I was about 6-7 miles from work sitting there when a 20 ft. box truck came from the other direction stopped, rolled down his window and said "the roads blocked ahead, ya can't get through". I made a u turn right there and went back home. The company refuses to excuse the last four hours of work, as they were open. I made it known today what asshats they were. I have a co worker, a tool and die maker, who had four trees come down on his house, one into his bedroom and bed, where he was sleeping 5 minutes prior. Very lucky.
Old June 26th, 2024, 02:58 PM
Running On Empty

Soooooo......this was news to me until I just finished reading it:

On 14 May 2024, it was announced that McIlroy had filed for divorce from his wife Erica Stoll in Palm Beach County, Florida. By 11 June 2024, the divorce filing was withdrawn.
Bryson won the US Open weekend of June 13-16, 2024. I'm thinking Rory had a couple things on his mind other than golf that week.
Old June 26th, 2024, 03:22 PM

Soooooo......this was news to me until I just finished reading it:

Bryson won the US Open weekend of June 13-16, 2024. I'm thinking Rory had a couple things on his mind other than golf that week.
So, having trudged down that trail myself . . . I'd certainly give him a pass for the meltdown that weekend.
Old June 26th, 2024, 04:41 PM

Not weird if they sold Rat-On-A-Stick.
Reminds me of a friend’s trip to Puerto Penasco where they stopped for tacos and were asked if they wanted mickey mouse or rin tin tin.
They opted to head to the docks for fish tacos.
Old June 26th, 2024, 04:43 PM

I'm not going to work outside when it's 100.
I’d love if we got a cold front and the temperature dropped to 100. That would be nice.

I mowed the grass at 7:30 this morning when it was only 92 degrees.

Last edited by Fun71; June 26th, 2024 at 04:46 PM.
Old June 26th, 2024, 05:15 PM
Running On Empty

Reminds me of a friend’s trip to Puerto Penasco where they stopped for tacos and were asked if they wanted mickey mouse or rin tin tin.
They made a smart decision.
Old June 26th, 2024, 05:19 PM
Running On Empty

I was cleaning outdoor staircase balusters & banisters @ 7:30 this morning & the humidity was ~92%. Like walking into a sauna.
Old June 26th, 2024, 05:19 PM

And here I was thinking the last one was a euphemism for going whoring.
Old June 26th, 2024, 05:22 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
And here I was thinking the last one was a euphemism for going whoring.
I actually have a T-Shirt which graphically expresses that euphemism. It's been known to garner some peculiar reactions.
Old June 26th, 2024, 05:33 PM
Running On Empty

I've taken two advanced motorcycle training courses - skilled maneuvering. Fantastic courses. I nearly enrolled (read - I wanted to enroll) in this advanced car maneuvering course when I was ~20 years old. They said you had to be a certain age - I think maybe 25. Anyways, we had a slurry of cars at one time (myself & my friends) while I owned my 67 4-4-2, cars such as TR3A, TR4, Bug Eye Sprite, Austin-Healey 3000, Alpha Romeo, etc. They had the center console (position) hand-brake. We thought we were the shitz when we learned to spin a car around 180° going ~50 mph on pavement. It wasn't all that hard to be honest. It was all a matter of timing. Car & Driver had some pages on how to practice and learn the maneuver and there were courses/tracks you could take training - but, as I said, I was not old enough.
Old June 26th, 2024, 06:09 PM
Running On Empty

A pretty basic handbrake J-Turn at speed - he isn't going very fast for whatever reason(s) most likely because he's showing the basics. Doing it on pavement you should have the tires over inflated by 10lbs - 15 lbs. We use to pull this off in a TR3A ~50 mph in 3rd gear, hit the handbrake, then dump the clutch in 2nd gear at exactly the time you felt the back-end come around. I used to do this in a 68 VW bug I had (on gravel roads). I got so good at this I could turn the car 180° in the same lane literally full circle & when I dumped the clutch the car was heading backwards while the rear wheels were rotating forward. A$$load of fun.

Old June 27th, 2024, 05:15 AM

Dan, Wow I am surprised at all the trees down,etc in your area. We got nothing really.
Old June 27th, 2024, 06:38 AM

On the road again still. My sister stole all her dishes back after 19 years of me owning them. Some sort of weird female "I'm taking my life back" empowerment bullshit. Whatever. I used them because they were there. They had black roses on them, so they're not manly.

I ordered me some Fiestaware in a very dark blue. Ought to last me the rest of my life.
Old June 27th, 2024, 07:15 AM
Running On Empty

John - That's funny/interesting RE: your sister & dishes. I've seen this scenario play out among females many times, not only w/ dishes. One of the oddities of life, go figure.
Old June 27th, 2024, 08:10 AM

On the road again still. My sister stole all her dishes back after 19 years of me owning them. Some sort of weird female "I'm taking my life back" empowerment bullshit. Whatever. I used them because they were there. They had black roses on them, so they're not manly.
The F'ing insanity of family dynamics never ceases to amaze me. My Sister (youngest child) was living with my Mom in Mom's house as a result of her own poor life choices when Mom started to go downhill from dementia. Because my Sister was living in the house, and not working, she became the primary caregiver for Mom until she passed. Because my Sister did the heavy lifting taking care of Mom during her final years, and my Sister was not in good financial shape, my Brother and I decided to give my Sister the family home outright with no expectation of any compensation, despite the fact the home was supposed to be sold and the proceeds split 3 ways. After the fact, when my Brother and I wanted a few family heirlooms that my Sister knew our Mom had promised to us boys, my Sister bitched and acted like we were punching her in the gut. We had to threaten to sell the house out from under her to get a few little things that really weren't worth $hit. Thankfully, my Sister and I have gotten past the bad blood, but I was really, really pissed at her for several years when she tried to pull that crap!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 27th, 2024 at 08:13 AM.
Old June 27th, 2024, 08:16 AM
Running On Empty

The F'ing insanity of family dynamics never ceases to amaze me. My Sister (youngest child) was living with my Mom in Mom's house as a result of her own poor life choices when Mom started to go downhill from dementia. Because my Sister was living in the house, and not working, she became the primary caregiver for Mom until she passed. Because my Sister did the heavy lifting taking care of Mom during her final years, and my Sister was not in good financial shape, my Brother and I decided to give my Sister the family home outright with no expectation of any compensation, despite the fact the home was supposed to be sold and the proceeds split 3 ways. After the fact, when my Brother and I wanted a few family heirlooms that my Sister knew our Mom had promised to us boys, my Sister bitched and acted like we were punching her in the gut. We had to threaten to sell the house out from under her to get a few little things that really weren't worth $hit. Thankfully, my Sister and I have gotten past the bad blood, but I was really, really pissed at her for several years when she tried to pull that crap!
XX chromosome
Old June 27th, 2024, 08:21 AM

Norm, I had to re read your post before I saw gravel road., I was screaming BS because the VW would be on it's back in a New York Minute on asphalt
Old June 27th, 2024, 08:26 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, I had to re read your post before I saw gravel road., I was screaming BS because the VW would be on it's back in a New York Minute on asphalt
Correct....gravel....BTW, I did (matter-of-fact) put that 68 VW on it's back. Rolled twice sideways departing a gravel road on a hairpin turn in the boondocks (gf in car) during a treasure-hunt and down the embankment of a hay field.
Old June 27th, 2024, 08:28 AM

XX chromosome
Yep, and exponentially compounded by the classic childhood of being the youngest child, only girl, who was spoiled rotten, literally.
Old June 27th, 2024, 09:23 AM
Running On Empty

The BUNN Velocity Brew 10 Cup Coffee Maker ($125) is splayed wide open. Warming tray SW has gone Tango Uniform. Ordered new SW ($7.25 + free shipping [PRIME]) on-line, be here tomorrow. Savings = ~$110 - win, win. Performing a more thorough deep-dive cleaning whilst disassembled.

Old June 27th, 2024, 01:26 PM

XX chromosome
Yep, seen it with my sister.
​​​​​​​ (gf in car) during a treasure-hunt and down the embankment of a hay field.
Norm, I think that you mis-understood the term "a romp in the hay." ​​​​​​​
Old June 27th, 2024, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Yep, seen it with my sister. Norm, I think that you mis-understood the term "a romp in the hay."
I would've totally used it for an attempt at a spontaneous roll in the hay after rolling the car in the hay.
Old June 27th, 2024, 02:16 PM

A few pics from last Saturdays show at the Gilmore https://photos.app.goo.gl/9SubHz52QDE6ddX97
Old June 27th, 2024, 02:49 PM
Running On Empty

Yep, seen it with my sister. Norm, I think that you mis-understood the term "a romp in the hay." ​​​​​​​
Dan - That's funny.

I would've totally used it for an attempt at a spontaneous roll in the hay after rolling the car in the hay.
John - My gf (Susan) was laying against the passenger door (car laying on its side) beneath me passed out, my hands were firmly gripped to the steering wheel above her, the roof of the car was smashed down, all windows blown out. I had to drag her through the front opening where the windshield would have been. The only spontaneity was executing survival mode. She got knocked out, I did not. Thankfully we both walked away completely unscathed.
Old June 27th, 2024, 02:54 PM

A few pics from last Saturdays show at the Gilmore https://photos.app.goo.gl/9SubHz52QDE6ddX97
Dan - Great pics, thanks for sharing! What can ya tell me about this Cuda with the 421ci badging, dual quads, and the "Le Mans" badging on the front Quarters? Don't believe I've ever seen one like that before???

Edit - Should have looked closer, Duh, it's a Pontiac, thought for sure with that body style/shape it was a 1sf Gen Cuda!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 27th, 2024 at 03:00 PM.
Old June 27th, 2024, 02:56 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Love your W-31. Great display of some vintage iron. Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
Old June 27th, 2024, 03:03 PM
Running On Empty

Removed rear shocks on the diesel tractor (F250). There was absolutely zero bed weight being supported on either the LH or RH rear shock. Further examination demonstrated absolutely zero compression remaining on each shock w/ hydraulic fluid vigorously moving about throughout each shock absorber such that it appears hydraulic fluid was leaking from every internal seal in the rod cylinder (I suspect). Truck is 21 yrs old, 194K miles, I've replaced shocks twice & I have definitely been at max capacity more than several times hauling various loads on this last set of shocks. Coffee maker SW and new shocks arrive tomorrow.