The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2024, 06:45 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
vertical is a good thing
Damn Skippy
Old June 1st, 2024, 06:49 AM

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. I think by the grace of the almighty I'm going to make it. Slow recovery of 12 days ( touch and go the 1st few) in the ICU from hell. Lots of oxygen and steroids finally started working. Thanks again
Really good to see you post, and hear you're getting and feeling better. That will be the best news I hear all weekend!
Old June 1st, 2024, 08:51 AM

vertical is a good thing
"He's not dead, Jim." -with apologies to Bones McCoy.
Old June 1st, 2024, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat

John was your passive aggressive neighbor out there cheering you on while you were mowing? I have a question about your H/O. Did all the things that are wrong with it happen while it was at the museum? Or did some ne'er-do-well rig the hell out of it and then donate it when it ceased to run right? You've done lifetimes of good for the car. I hope you write yourself up in the newsletter.
Mike, he was not there. I should take a picture; some of my property is sloped, and the worst slope was made by the driveway being flat, but placed on a hill, so the slope off the driveway catches up to the natural hill slope with a steeper slope. At the worst part, I have a nice light pole with power that is just big enough to fit the mower by, sideways, on the hill, between it and the driveway. The trick is to put your upside hand on the rear fender and lean uphill like a gangsta.

With the roundup down two nights ago, and mowing last night, I should be good for a couple weeks. Raining all day today.

That H/O, from what I can tell, was original to 99. Then, it was painted. It has a convertible decklid on it from that time. That lid was signed by Doc Watson, H/O creator, in 99, at the Indy H/OCA meet, so the paint dates from that time. I saw it being sold in 2016 with original engine compartment on an ad. In 2018, it had a chassis restoration and went through Mecum and Barrett Jackson in Vegas, then it went to the museum. All the changes happened in that restoration. The car WORKS, but, being a mechanical guy, I am sure you appreciate there being the right way, the wrong way, and the Marine Corps way on how to fix something. That museum was a car collection, and just a way of displaying them. The car is in good shape, I got a fair deal on it and could get 175% money back on a sale now, I think, but some things are not factory correct, so I fix them when I find them. The good news is that it is all stuff I can do myself.

I also have Linda Vaughn's signature next to Doc's now. Someday, I will get a correct NOS decklid, paint and stripe it, put the emblem in the right spot, and hang my signed decklid as garage art.
Old June 1st, 2024, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I also have Linda Vaughn's signature next to Doc's now. Someday, I will get a correct NOS decklid, paint and stripe it, put the emblem in the right spot, and hang my signed decklid as garage art.
Everyone has their own personal idea of what they want their car to be and look like, but if it were me, I'd be tempted to leave the old deck lid on there so folks could see Doc's and Linda's signatures. That is unless your end game is to get to a completely OEM correct car?

I have no desire to try and take my car back to OEM configuration or condition. I like the performance mods (HEI, more Cam, headers, etc) that have been done, while retaining a basically Stock appearance.
Old June 1st, 2024, 10:51 AM

Jamesbo.... Glad to hear things are getting better.
Norm... I feel like we have talked about the Lime light hydrangea before.. we have a few of those set up and really like them..

Been in a car work funk, but Im trying to get moving this weekend. Lost power overnight and just got it back.

Im trying to hang the doors on our 55, and having fits.. The truck had no rockers when we got it and the hinge pockets and rear cab corners were 50 percent atomposhere.. Somehow now the drivers door doesn't want to fit right...

As they say, "By hammer and hand, do all other crafts stand". so Im getting after it using.... well. a hammer mostly...

Ive thought about using the old style pipe woodworking clamp as a spreader but I just don't thing I can generate the force on the little screws to get it done..

Hope all are well

Old June 1st, 2024, 01:09 PM

Welcome back Jim. Norm, I picked up a bag from the local nursery that I buy flowers from.
Old June 1st, 2024, 01:10 PM

Raining now, I'll cut the grass tomorrow. Off to get groceries.
Old June 1st, 2024, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Everyone has their own personal idea of what they want their car to be and look like, but if it were me, I'd be tempted to leave the old deck lid on there so folks could see Doc's and Linda's signatures. That is unless your end game is to get to a completely OEM correct car?

I have no desire to try and take my car back to OEM configuration or condition. I like the performance mods (HEI, more Cam, headers, etc) that have been done, while retaining a basically Stock appearance.
Chris, that's a *someday* goal. Maybe I will own a 72 H/O ragtop that needs this decklid. Right now, I will just look for an NOS hardtop lid to hold. I did get some points for them at a recent show, but that was with a 5 second shake the floor mat out prep.
Old June 1st, 2024, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Raining now, I'll cut the grass tomorrow. Off to get groceries.
It has been raining all day here. First time I ever took an umbrella to the mail box. Must be getting older, or smarter.

Vince Blonda made a run of 72 H/O sunroof gears on a 3d printer, so I snagged one as an investment. Came in the mail today.
Old June 1st, 2024, 02:07 PM
Running On Empty

I'm striking the ball remarkably well. Absolutely gorgeous day for playing a round of pasture pool. Holly-tone fertilizer arrived. I'll make some dinner then apply it.
Old June 1st, 2024, 02:17 PM

Chris, that's a *someday* goal. Maybe I will own a 72 H/O ragtop that needs this decklid. Right now, I will just look for an NOS hardtop lid to hold. I did get some points for them at a recent show, but that was with a 5 second shake the floor mat out prep.
I can see why you would pick up a few points for the signatures, kinda like I know I picked up a few points at my last couple of shows for the article in JWO. How cool would that be if you someday owned both a hardtop and vert H/O! Nice that you were able to pick up some gears for the sunroof! 👍
Old June 1st, 2024, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'm striking the ball remarkably well. Absolutely gorgeous day for playing a round of pasture pool. Holly-tone fertilizer arrived. I'll make some dinner then apply it.
Norm - Great to hear you're getting back into the groove after the medical hiatus.
Old June 1st, 2024, 02:38 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks.
Old June 1st, 2024, 02:54 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - I take my Dewalt drill, insert my long metal paint mixer tool, create a dozen or so holes about 10" deep around the drip edge of the plants then dump in the suggested amount of fertilizer.

Matt - Good luck hanging the doors. I restored (mostly) a '53 GMC back in the mid-70s. Truck was nearly prepped for paint (I had finished the body work and had two coats primer on it) when someone said they wanted it. So, I sold it. I really enjoyed working on the truck. Tons of room to work w/ heavy gauge metal.
Old June 1st, 2024, 03:30 PM

The 1st week of hospital food really isn't food. It's fuel. Oatmeal pudding jello et al. My wife saved me with chic fil a. Today went out for lunch and got pulled pork ribs and an order of Brunswick stew. Feel 1000/% better
Old June 1st, 2024, 03:55 PM

Jim, good to hear you are on the mend!
Old June 1st, 2024, 03:57 PM

The 1st week of hospital food really isn't food. It's fuel. Oatmeal pudding jello et al. My wife saved me with chic fil a. Today went out for lunch and got pulled pork ribs and an order of Brunswick stew. Feel 1000/% better
Good deal Jim! Glad to hear ya got some real food in ya!
Old June 1st, 2024, 04:35 PM
Running On Empty

I have 4 groupings of Hostas in the bed in front of my house. We've had a juvenile rabbit hanging around all Spring and the little SOB has ate each of the groupings down to nubbins. I could have plinked him 30 times with my air rifle, but I just don't have the heart to do it. Getting soft I guess.
Chris - I've grown Hastas many times & in the presence of many Lagimorphs. Surprisingly, I don't have any Hostas on my property, instead I opted for tons of other perennials. None-the-less, since Hastas are perennials & will come back the 100% guaranteed sure-fire way to stop Lagimophs from eating your Hastas is to sprinkle ample amounts of either Blood Meal or Bone Meal around the Hastas. Vegetarians stay far away from meat products.
Old June 1st, 2024, 04:41 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by jamesbo
...pulled pork ribs and an order of brunswick stew...
real food
Old June 1st, 2024, 05:39 PM

Last time I stayed in a hospital was 20 years ago for an appendectomy. The day I got back on solid food was fried catfish day, and, even if I HAD been feeling well, it would've been bad. Was on so many percocets I didn't **** for a week.
Old June 1st, 2024, 05:49 PM
Running On Empty

Last time I stayed in a hospital was 20 years ago for an appendectomy. The day I got back on solid food was fried catfish day, and, even if I HAD been feeling well, it would've been bad. Was on so many percocets I didn't **** for a week.
In another 20 years you'll be able to buy kits on-line & do this yourself in the comfort of your own home.
Old June 1st, 2024, 07:30 PM
Always room for one more

Got the oil changed in the truck this afternoon. When the oil is dirty the engine is actually a little quieter. Now that there's clean oil in there I can hear slight valve train noise. Ah the song of a big block. My friend showed up around 4 and we went parts hunting over at the shop. He wanted a right leaf spring assembly and we found a whole rear end with both springs in a big pile of leaves. I said take this and you'll have spares. It had complete brakes as well. He wanted to give me money. I said, look where we're pulling this out of, I don't need money nor would I have ever done anything with this. So off he went, happy as a clam.

My one day of the weekend to sleep in tomorrow. The lead is going to be gone all next week, and I need to see someone at the Awful house I never get to see, so I think I'll have a late case of blue flu and leave early one day. Overtime today was okay, a bunch of people left early and told the lead that was there that they didn't take lunch so they could leave early. That lead doesn't give two hoots so they got to go. But it wasn't a widely known occurrence and the rest of us sat around until a quarter to 12, when we discovered that the lead was gone as well. I'm gonna say something about that, that ain't cool.

Old June 1st, 2024, 07:34 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Why is the job title &/or role called a "lead" if they don't really lead?
Old June 1st, 2024, 07:38 PM

Chris - I've grown Hastas many times & in the presence of many Lagimorphs. Surprisingly, I don't have any Hostas on my property, instead I opted for tons of other perennials. None-the-less, since Hastas are perennials & will come back the 100% guaranteed sure-fire way to stop Lagimophs from eating your Hastas is to sprinkle ample amounts of either Blood Meal or Bone Meal around the Hastas. Vegetarians stay far away from meat products.
Norm - Not trying to be the spelling **** or an ****, but the correct spelling is Hostas. I double checked before I wrote that post because I wasn't sure myself. I know Hostas are a bulb type perennial like Tulips, just wasn't sure how they would react after being eaten down to almost nothing during their growing season??? Thanks for the Blood Meal or Bone Meal suggestion, I will definitely do that next year, since I love seeing them flower.
Old June 1st, 2024, 07:40 PM
Always room for one more

I actually think the "ea" in the middle is soft, sort of like a metal that weighs you down. He's a lead weight alright.

The lead is made out of lead.

Old June 1st, 2024, 07:45 PM
Running On Empty

I thought exact same as I was writing - lead weight.
Old June 1st, 2024, 07:46 PM
Running On Empty

You can put a lead weight on the end of your fishing line to hold it on the bottom.
Old June 1st, 2024, 08:04 PM

You can put a lead weight on the end of your fishing line to hold it on the bottom.
Funny story about split shot lead sinkers. My dad and I did the Indian Guides for three years when I was a kid; he did it with all three of his kids. The organization did Pinewood Derby just like the Cub Scouts, and we later did that when I was in the Cub Scouts. The first year our neighbor made us a nice wooden body with his woodworking tools and we took third. The next year, we did the Lee Flying Wedge, which was just the body cut from the bottom front to the top back at an angle, and round the corners. We started putting in the lead weights with epoxy, later, with hot melt glue. Mostly wheel weights to get us to 5 ounces. However, we put in split shot sinkers to get us to 6 ounces and deliberately came in high and expected to be told to remove weight.

In the fall of 87, we took our red car to the "Indy-un 500" and went to tech with a 6 ounce car and graphite packed axles. Dude was not paying attention or his scale was off so we passed tech and raced at 6 ounces. That car grabbed the lead each race and expanded on it and took it all.

The next year, the car sucked for some reason. In 89, I was in the Cub Scouts, and we ran a black car, a wedge, with wheel weights hot melt glued in and a piece of duct tape on top covering it. This was 89, the tape was silver. We won that year purely on my dad's skill with a dental lathe, polishing the wheels and axles with me to a mirror finish. Went to district's and got second, beat by a Martin Marietta engineer and his kid. Not bad for a dentist and his kid.

Leonard's woodworked car, and the red and black cars sit in my grandma's china cabinet in my dining room now. The kits are better now, and there's cheating webstores, but, 40 years ago, we were local heroes at this.
Old June 1st, 2024, 08:07 PM
Running On Empty

John - Good story. I always liked it when Pinewood Derby came around during the year in Cub Scouts.
Old June 2nd, 2024, 09:40 AM

Dan - I take my Dewalt drill, insert my long metal paint mixer tool, create a dozen or so holes about 10" deep around the drip edge of the plants then dump in the suggested amount of fertilizer.
Thanks for the tip.
Old June 2nd, 2024, 02:38 PM

I had a jpeg of the joke, but it needed formatting, so I made it look a little more like a logic flowchart with 90 degree lines.

Old June 2nd, 2024, 03:17 PM
Running On Empty

John - You know how to take dichotomous to the extreme. Not much going on today for you?
Old June 2nd, 2024, 03:24 PM
Running On Empty

I haven't named it. All this stuff was in refrigerator waiting a slow death. I'm gonna eat it. Corn tostadas, grated cheddar, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, refried beans, chunky guacamole, sour cream, pounded w/ Frank's RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce.

Old June 2nd, 2024, 04:04 PM

Hi guys - Went to a really great show in Waterloo, IL today. If you would like to check out the pics (60) you can see them here. Hope everyone has had a great day!
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...3/#post1574126
Old June 2nd, 2024, 04:07 PM
Running On Empty

Hi guys - Went to a really great show in Waterloo, IL today.
See any of those Swedish babes?
Old June 2nd, 2024, 04:32 PM

See any of those Swedish babes?
Don't know if they were Swedish or not, but there was more than the usual amount of eye candy strutting their stuff. Must have been the gorgeous weather.
Old June 2nd, 2024, 04:35 PM
Running On Empty

Earth to Chris...
Old June 2nd, 2024, 04:43 PM

Nachos El Norm? Nice car show pics Chris. I'll take the '70 Astro Blue 442 convertible. Was that your trophy in the pics?
Old June 2nd, 2024, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Nachos El Norm? Nice car show pics Chris. I'll take the '70 Astro Blue 442 convertible. Was that your trophy in the pics?
Dan - Thanks for checking out the pics! Yes, that was my trophy. Top 25 all got the same. Best of Show got a much larger and nicer one.