The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2024, 02:13 PM
Running On Empty

Picked up a really nice bag of Bing Cherries this morning. I love 'em ice cold out of the fridge - delicious.
Old June 21st, 2024, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Picked up a really nice bag of Bing Cherries this morning. I love 'em ice cold out of the fridge - delicious.
Love cherries, especially Cherry pie and jam. Sam's Club made the best store bought Cherry pies I ever bought in a store or bakery. They discontinued them probably 3-years ago. The manager of the bakery in the store we usually go to said Corporate discontinued them because the price of Cherries got too high. I was really bummed. I've also noticed the price of Cherry jam in the stores has gone sky high.
Old June 21st, 2024, 02:35 PM

Sure it pays benefits to eat right and exercise, but I've always thought genetics trumps every other factor in the long run. There are 6 living Sisters between the ages of 88 and 101 living in a town an hour south of me who recently set a Guiness Record for sibling longevity, pretty cool!

https://people.com/missouri-sisters-...of-571-8666044
Old June 21st, 2024, 02:50 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Sure it pays benefits to eat right and exercise, but I've always thought genetics trumps every other factor in the long run. There are 6 living Sisters between the ages of 88 and 101 living in a town an hour south of me who recently set a Guiness Record for sibling longevity, pretty cool!
Lorene you wouldn't have gotten to 1st base with. Elma would be in the back seat before you could say Jiminy Cricket.
Old June 21st, 2024, 02:51 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
The manager of the bakery in the store we usually go to said Corporate discontinued them because the price of Cherries got too high. I was really bummed. I've also noticed the price of Cherry jam in the stores has gone sky high.
This bag of cherries cost me an arm & a leg - yeah, they were expensive.
Old June 21st, 2024, 03:04 PM

Lorene you wouldn't have gotten to 1st base with. Elma would be in the back seat before you could say Jiminy Cricket.
LoL

This bag of cherries cost me an arm & a leg - yeah, they were expensive.
I wonder if there is some natural explanation like decreased bee pollination for why prices have gotten so ridiculous, or they're just jacking up the price because they can???
Old June 21st, 2024, 03:31 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful and hot today. I played hookie from work and slept in. Eight AM isn't too late but it was 6 hours later than I would have gotten up. Went to my airport and hung out with my neighbors, went to Awful house, then to Mom's because she wanted to go out for dinner.

Tomorrow I'm going to work on the pickup all day, hopefully get the shocks done in good time, then maybe wash him up a little. It's been so long since I've washed him the paint feels furry. Not sure it will come back to be black.

Gonna stay up late and not go in for overtime tomorrow. A guy asked my why I wasn't coming in and I said I didn't want to. He couldn't believe I'd turn down the overtime. I said, I have plenty of money I can leave it for once. He mumbled something about leaving money on the table blah blah I just ignored him. I'm not losing anything. And I like not being there.

Well it's now officially the weekend. And the longest day. Hope everyone has a good weekend. I'm well on my way to another trip around.

Old June 21st, 2024, 04:35 PM

Last time I was over at my neighbor's place across the street we were sitting on their patio having a couple cold ones. I mentioned I liked strong, heavily flavored dark beers. Neighbor's wife brought me 4 dark IPA's and said they had come from a variety microbrew 12-pack she had bought at Costco and she didn't like dark beers. I had 2 with my pizza tonight. I liked them so much that I decided to closely read where they were made, Bell's Brewery in Comstock, Michigan, only 20-miles from where I grew up. Truly one of those small world stories. Dan, have you heard of Bell's Brewery in Comstock?

Old June 21st, 2024, 04:55 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
I'm well on my way to another trip around.
Mike - I'm right there w/ you. Just a little over 24 hours into the next analemma about the sun. Thankfully Copernicus got it right, eh? Too bad for Galileo.
Old June 21st, 2024, 04:58 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Two of those Experimental Black IPA + pizza & I'd be sawing logs on the davenport.
Old June 21st, 2024, 05:13 PM

Chris - Two of those Experimental Black IPA + pizza & I'd be sawing logs on the davenport.
Yes, I'm about there myself.
Old June 21st, 2024, 05:45 PM
Always room for one more

Norm the only thing I know about Copernicus is that was Doc Brown's dog's name in the last Back to the Future and Galileo is a satellite. I was actually meaning around the sun for the year.

I'm not a fan of dark beer. I really don't like beer at all but I drink it occasionally. Now, I'll drink gin and tonic all day long. Or Kahlua. There was a restaurant by my house that brewed their own beer, and everyone liked it. They also brewed their own root beer and it was fantastic. But they closed, not sure why. The building is now a medical office.

Chris those sisters probably smoke and drink and carouse all the time. That's what keeps them young. The rest of us should be so lucky. I plan on at least that age, I better start smoking and drinking and carousing.

Old June 21st, 2024, 06:21 PM

Chris those sisters probably smoke and drink and carouse all the time. That's what keeps them young. The rest of us should be so lucky. I plan on at least that age, I better start smoking and drinking and carousing.
Ya know, I bet you're right. My Grandpa on my Mom's side was a big bourbon drinker, Jim Beam was his bourbon of choice. I heard he'd never miss a day of work, but would pretty much live in the bars on the weekend. He also dipped Copenhagen snuff. The old man lived to 89, go figure? Like I said to Norm, +90% is genetics.
Old June 21st, 2024, 06:57 PM

Dan, have you heard of Bell's Brewery in Comstock?
Yep, quite popular around these parts. They have Oberon day, when it is released to the public every year. I don't think that the stores ever run out of it though. One of my buddy's step daughter got married a couple of years ago, they are big fans of the beer. Their Aussie sheperd is named Obie. I bought them Oberon beer glasses, signage, and an Oberon collar for the dog as weddong gifts.
Old June 21st, 2024, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Yep, quite popular around these parts.
They must have went pretty "Big Time" if they're distributing thru a large chain like Costco.
Old June 21st, 2024, 09:56 PM

Oh Chris. One of my coworkers loves IPA. I call it Canadian beer. As in a Canuck pees in a bottle and says I pee, eh? And those yanks drink it up!

He and I have a love/hate relationship regarding fermented beverages.

I don’t do that Canadian beer as something about the piney hops doesn’t like me. Gimme an Imperial Stout, Russian preferably. Dark, strong, and malty is right up my alley.
Old June 22nd, 2024, 02:38 AM
Running On Empty

Norm the only thing I know about Copernicus is that was Doc Brown's dog's name in the last Back to the Future and Galileo is a satellite. I was actually meaning around the sun for the year.
I know you were meaning around the sun for the year. It was (Nicolas) Copernicus who correctly determined the Earth revolved around the sun. Prior to Copernicus Carbon Based Units believed all celestial bodies revolved around the Earth.
Old June 22nd, 2024, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I don’t do that Canadian beer as something about the piney hops doesn’t like me. Gimme an Imperial Stout, Russian preferably. Dark, strong, and malty is right up my alley.
I prefer the dark, thicker, malty Stouts also, without question!
Old June 22nd, 2024, 02:50 PM
Running On Empty

Spent ~1 hour on the range before playing 18. Had 6-7 great birdie opportunities but none would fall. Carded a 39/41 in pretty windy conditions.
Old June 22nd, 2024, 03:02 PM

Spent ~1 hour on the range before playing 18. Had 6-7 great birdie opportunities but none would fall. Carded a 39/41 in pretty windy conditions.
Norm - Still a damn good round!. Nice shootin.
Old June 22nd, 2024, 03:22 PM

Pretty chill day for me, did my cardio workout and that was about the extent of it except for loading up the 4-4-2 for a potential judged show tomorrow. I had thought about going to a cruise-in at Raising Canes tonight, but the Heat Index was 101° today, and it's still stifling at 5pm. It's supposed to storm overnight into the early morning until around 5am. I won't head out for the show with wet roads, too much cleaning when I get there in the sweltering heat really takes the fun out of it. If the roads are wet early, hopefully they'll dry out in time so that I can get there before registration ends.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old June 22nd, 2024, 04:04 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - You get the shocks mounted on the pickup, washed & waxed?
Old June 22nd, 2024, 04:31 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful and hot. Worked outside all day. Got the shocks on the truck and went over to the shop and moved a car and moved the first blue Suburban so I can swap out the wheels. Got the Burb moved after 5 and decided that was enough for me. I used the Deuce to move the cars and I couldn't even feel them behind the truck when I was pulling. I also got some mowing done at the shop.

Kenneth would a geo-thermal AC work by you? It sends some probe or apparatus down deep into the ground, wonder if it's cool enough underground to work.

Don't think I'll stay up real late tonight, I'm beat. How nice it's been to sleep in in the morning, and I get to do it again. After that though it will be business as usual, Walmart and ending early to get ready for work. It's been nice, though.

Okay have a good evening everyone. Gotta fix Tiger's supper then I'll go sit down and relax.

Old June 22nd, 2024, 04:52 PM

Mike - Sounds like you had a full and productive day! You deserve to kickback and relax.
Old June 23rd, 2024, 07:30 AM
Running On Empty

It's like walking into a blasting furnace outdoors - no motivation to explore outdoor activities around the house requiring manual labor.

Winds are going to remain 15mph - 20mph (higher gusts). I have a 12:00 noon tee-time. It's more of a challenge shaping shots & I think it's good practice, so I'll spend the afternoon challenging myself.

A friend of mine (Maxillofacial Surgeon) w/ deep pockets built a large family second home in Minnesota equipped w/ geothermal HVAC. They're supposed to be extremely efficient.
Old June 23rd, 2024, 08:05 AM

I’ve dug a few 2’ deep post holes in the yard and it’s like concrete so I can’t imagine making holes down to the center of the earth would be easy or cheap.
Old June 23rd, 2024, 01:37 PM
Running On Empty

Golf was fun & different today. I joined a very amateur golf threesome - I say this because the term hackers portrays negative connotations; and, honestly people play this game to enjoy themselves, not to be berated & beaten down w/ negativity.

They were friends w/ each other & one young man was 14 yrs (a nephew of one of the other players). Yes, they were spraying ***** - finding every inch of the entire golf course. I showed them how to play Superball/Texas Scramble/Captain's Choice. The great part about playing Superball is everyone gets to hit from the best ball wherever it lands. We played from each of my ball positions 99% of the time, but what's great fun is each of them felt they were hitting their own next shot from a great location (using my ball locations). So, each of them would immediately forget about their previous errant shot & instead looked forward to playing their next shot from a better/great position. They loved (had fun) keeping score, as well. Each time recognizing their accomplishments having made par on nearly all the holes. It certainly didn't hurt any that I was nicely dialed in today so they were pretty amped up (as was I). Good time.
Old June 23rd, 2024, 01:48 PM

Great story Norm
Old June 23rd, 2024, 01:51 PM
Running On Empty

Old June 23rd, 2024, 01:52 PM

Love it Norm.
Old June 23rd, 2024, 01:57 PM
Running On Empty

Love it Norm.
Old June 23rd, 2024, 02:28 PM
Running On Empty

I can't imagine going into Walmart on a Sunday afternoon in this oppressive heat. I have images of thousands escaping the heat in the confines of a Walmart.
Old June 23rd, 2024, 03:21 PM

Love it Norm.
x2! 😁
Old June 23rd, 2024, 03:27 PM

Great day at the charity car show today. It was to raise money for a poor lad with a brain disorder. Great camaraderie with 14 other members of the StL Oldsmobile Club, we had reserved parking and so we were all parked together. Several members brought shade canopys so we all had shade. We had two members pick up 1sts, two got 2nd's, and one got a 3rd in their respective classes. I won a 1st in the 1960 - 1969 Class. Good times!

Old June 23rd, 2024, 03:35 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Norm Walmart wasn't that bad today. A friend of mine called right when I was getting ready to go to Mom's and we talked for an hour and a half. So that put us arriving at Walmart after noon. The place wasn't too busy I was surprised. But it was hot today and remains that way.

Nothing out of the ordinary to expect from work this week. Not sure if the lead is going to be there but it doesn't matter to me, I usually don't listen to him anyway. Actually no one does. He just sort of exists. If he were to retire I think I'd want to put in for that position, but to tell you the truth, I don't think I could pass the interview. I don't interview well anyway, and whatever question they ask the correct answer is yes I will rat out my buddy. I'm not about to say that.

Chris I see in my phone messages you went to a car show for someone ill. I'll read that in a minute. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a new battery for the Imperial and take it to the Summit cruise in. Eh, maybe not.

Okay have a good evening everyone. Hope the week starts out well.

Old June 23rd, 2024, 05:03 PM

Hi everyone.

Chris I see in my phone messages you went to a car show for someone ill. I'll read that in a minute. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a new battery for the Imperial and take it to the Summit cruise in. Eh, maybe not.
Mike - Next time you have the Imperial out, or just are around it and can take some more pics of it, plus interior pics, would you take some for me and post them, or send them to me in a PM. I love that car and would love to show my Mopar buddy.
Old June 24th, 2024, 03:16 AM
Running On Empty

Stifling 90% humidity & heat index of 91°F. A natural sauna.
Old June 24th, 2024, 04:28 AM

Forecast of 97° today and 100° tomorrow with Heat Indices of 102° and 108° respectively. Nothing close to the humidity you have though. Its finally supposed to cool back down into the mid-80's on Wednesday.
Old June 24th, 2024, 08:06 AM

Golf was fun & different today. I joined a very amateur golf threesome - I say this because the term hackers portrays negative connotations; and, honestly people play this game to enjoy themselves, not to be berated & beaten down w/ negativity.

They were friends w/ each other & one young man was 14 yrs (a nephew of one of the other players). Yes, they were spraying ***** - finding every inch of the entire golf course. I showed them how to play Superball/Texas Scramble/Captain's Choice. The great part about playing Superball is everyone gets to hit from the best ball wherever it lands. We played from each of my ball positions 99% of the time, but what's great fun is each of them felt they were hitting their own next shot from a great location (using my ball locations). So, each of them would immediately forget about their previous errant shot & instead looked forward to playing their next shot from a better/great position. They loved (had fun) keeping score, as well. Each time recognizing their accomplishments having made par on nearly all the holes. It certainly didn't hurt any that I was nicely dialed in today so they were pretty amped up (as was I). Good time.
Norm , On more than one occasion my goal has been to have at least one of my shots become the "best ball"
Old June 24th, 2024, 09:36 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just finished lunch. Came in early and did 9 wheels. Not bad for a Monday. I'm over 20 so far for the day(I start over counting at 6) and if everyone else is similar, we should be good.

Another hot and sunny day. Got a couple little things to finish up around the house, then I'll go to Mom's and do a couple little things there. Then Summit cruise in tonight.

Chris I took a couple "glamour shots" of the Imperial to send in to the guy who runs the Imperial forum. He wanted to make a 2024 calendar. He said he got 6 people who sent in pictures. I'll take a couple pictures of the interior here soon and see how I can send them to you. This car is the "base" Imperial, but it has a special order interior. It's even called out on the punch card. The pattern and texture looks to me to be what they put in the limousines. Wish it told who owned the car first.

So I wanted to go up to my homeland(Moline IL) for my birthday and was thwarted, so now I'm planning on going over Labor Day. It will be cooler as well. Gonna call early for the dog to get him into jail, and also make a better hotel reservation. I have a feeling I wouldn't have been happy with what I had gotten before.

Onward. Have a good afternoon everyone.