The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2024 | 01:18 AM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Indeed, it is. Sweltering & oppressive here today, 93°F, 87% humidity, H.I. 103°F. Current humidity = 88%. Those numbers are most likely closer aligned to your swimming pool.
Wouldn't the swimming pool be 100% humidity?

Good morning everyone.

First time for 4am in awhile. Mom has a doctor's appointment this afternoon at 320 and I wouldn't have time to go get Tiger, and that's too long for him to stay at home. So I took him over there this morning. Funny, she hadn't been to bed yet. I guess the rodeo is too exciting to miss. Anyway thought I'd take the opportunity to get in two hours overtime.

Chris I figure if I got paid 5 times what I do then I'd have enough money to buy a 442, and all the Valiants I could find. And build a garage. My get rich quick scheme is to own an Awful house. But they are a million to get in on.

Kenneth can you really tell the difference between 100 and 110? I've never experienced 110. The hottest I've ever been in is 103. Once when I was in school I was leaving school and drove past Midway airport. Looking across the field seemed funny, like the air was wiggling, like on TV when they want you to think it's hot. Just then the guy on the radio came on and said, it's 103 at Midway.

Okay have a good day everyone. Monday for me but it's Tuesday. I'm ahead of the game.

Old July 16th, 2024 | 07:51 AM

Been busy Oldsmobiling. Should've started work on the H/O earlier. Had two problem with the alternator, a problem with power steering and a problem with the AC. Got to Indy H/O Nationals on Thursday in the rain. Saw Keith Stockberger's Miller Restorations high end car resto place in Carmel Thurs night. Led the pack to Indy Friday morning with the Director riding shotgun. Only did the track tower tour, the museum is renovating and we couldn't get a track lap. Went back to hotel, ran the AC, was nice.

Led the pack with the director again to Daniel's Winery in the afternoon. Took a tour, had wine, had pizza. Came back, washed the car. Saturday, we had the show, swap meet, business meeting, auction, '74 H/O info session, and banquet. Drove home Sunday, gave up and turned on the AC half way home. Car did ok, I have a hot restart issue I need to track down. Took the trunk mats out and am letting it dry out for a while.

Edited and assembled Thunder & Lightning Sunday and yesterday. Will be done with it today. I need to update my H/O thread, and make an H/OCA nationals thread. Might do that tonight. Couldn't find my hardhat to go to work today, so I got a spare from my basement and went into the plant, which is shut down this week. Left my hardhat in my equipment lockup cage, so I must've walked out without it on Tuesday the 2nd. Been off for 1.5 weeks; it's been fun.
Old July 16th, 2024 | 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Been busy Oldsmobiling.
John - Sounds like you had a decent time at Nationals despite the issues with the car. Good luck getting them ironed out. Of course any time away from work is usually a good thing, especially with what you've been going through. Hope you've enjoyed your time away from the plant. Did you post any pics of the Show? If you did I'll search for them.
Old July 16th, 2024 | 11:09 AM

Just rode out a major storm front the worst of which passed right over our town of Pevely. An observed tornado was coming right towards us, and local weather advised Pevely residents to take cover in your safe area immediately. We grabbed the dogs and went to the basement. It never seemed to get scary bad, never heard the roaring tornado sound, just very high winds and driving rain, no hail. Haven't heard any reports of tornado damage yet.

Many places around the area are reporting 6 to as much as 8-inches of rain in a couple of hours, with more coming. There are a ton of roads flooding and associated water rescues we're seeing now on TV. The drainage route in the backyards below us (pic) looks like a river.

Old July 16th, 2024 | 11:25 AM

Here is a pic from just a few minutes ago of the low spot w/culvert going the back way out of our subdivision. You couldn't get thru it right now with a Monster Truck. We've also heard the main road from the subdivision to Pevely is also underwater, so right now we can't get out to a main artery at all!

Old July 16th, 2024 | 11:28 AM
Running On Empty

At the end of 30' hitting range ***** I was a soaking wet sock. Played the 1st hole (by myself). On the green of the 2nd hole I decided I wasn't putting any longer for the day & instead would just play the fairway(s) because of the high heat/humidity. I might have seen three people on the entire course. I played 9 & called it a day.
Old July 16th, 2024 | 11:30 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
...right now we can't get out to a main artery at all!
C'mon Chris...a mountain hillbilly like you should be used to it.
Old July 16th, 2024 | 11:32 AM
Running On Empty

Rain "supposedly" forecast daily for next 12 days - "supposedly". It is that time of the year. Supposed to be a very large system moving in from the West which is going to stall out over the near Eastern seaboard. We can use the water for sure.
Old July 16th, 2024 | 11:38 AM

At the end of 30' hitting range ***** I was a soaking wet sock. Played the 1st hole (by myself). On the green of the 2nd hole I decided I wasn't putting any longer for the day & instead would just play the fairway(s) because of the high heat/humidity. I might have seen three people on the entire course. I played 9 & called it a day.
Norm - That doesn't sound like any fun at all, but I guess ya got some swings in!
Old July 16th, 2024 | 11:44 AM

C'mon Chris...a mountain hillbilly like you should be used to it.

Old July 16th, 2024 | 11:45 AM
Running On Empty

It wasn't fun...I hit the stop switch.
Old July 16th, 2024 | 11:46 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442

Had a deep suspicion that was you.
Old July 16th, 2024 | 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Kenneth can you really tell the difference between 100 and 110?
Yes, and especially so when it's above 110.

Therein may be the issue. The equation you posted employs RH while the humidity I posted was absolute humidity.
RH or dew point, whichever you prefer. The NWS uses both.

Temperature and humidity are inversely proportional, so in the maximum heat of the day the humidity will be at its lowest, and at the minimum temperature of the night the humidity will be at its maximum.
Old July 16th, 2024 | 12:39 PM

Had a deep suspicion that was you.
"It's only the biggest ******' river in the state."
Old July 16th, 2024 | 12:54 PM

Chris, glad that the tornado missed you. Do you have life preservers?
Old July 16th, 2024 | 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, glad that the tornado missed you. Do you have life preservers?
Thanks! Nope, no life preservers. I'd go get some if we weren't landlocked!
Old July 16th, 2024 | 01:52 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
"It's only the biggest ******' river in the state."
Old July 16th, 2024 | 03:06 PM
Always room for one more

I'm telling you Chris, you need an Amphicar. Or water wings on the 442. You can be like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

We finished around 2. Rushed home to take Mom to the doctor and she was on the phone when I walked in, the person she was going to see had an emergency and wasn't even there. So she rescheduled. We went to Publix instead.

That river behind the houses looks like a big Slip and Slide.

Beautiful evening. I always say how I want to change time once a month so it's always light at 9pm. But I never go outside after dinner so really what does it matter. And on a school night I'm in bed by 830 which when I was a child I said I'd never do.

Found more Valiants scattered all over the country. Remember that one I put up a picture of a couple months ago? I'm taking my trailer to Ohio and stopping and seeing it on the way. If I like it I'll load it up and drag it along. But I won't take it in the lake. Now that would be a cool project, turn a Valiant into an Amphi. It's only about a thousand pounds more.

Old July 16th, 2024 | 03:21 PM

I'm telling you Chris, you need an Amphicar. Or water wings on the 442. You can be like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

That river behind the houses looks like a big Slip and Slide.
Mike - You may be onto something, certainly need an Amphi or DUCK or something else. I don't know if we're still landlocked or not? The water usually goes down pretty fast when it stops raining and it's been stopped for a couple hours now.

Man, when we were kids, as long as there was no lightning, we would have been all over that stream running through through those backyards!

Good luck checking out the Valiant, I hope it's in good shape for what he's asking for it. I'll understand if you don't want to disclose where you're headed to in Ohio, but I'm curious since I've spent alot of time there.
Old July 16th, 2024 | 04:34 PM

Forget the Amphia and DUCK, a SHERP is what you need.

Last edited by Fun71; July 16th, 2024 at 04:37 PM.
Old July 16th, 2024 | 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Forget the Amphia and DUCK, a SHERP is what you need.
I've seen pics of those before, they look like they'd be a blast. Looks like they'd be outrageously expensive though. Do you have any idea what they cost?

Remember these, this is a modern one, they had them way back in the 70's, I know because a family in my neighborhood had one. They would take it out on the small lake we lived on. It would do in a pinch.

Old July 16th, 2024 | 05:01 PM
Running On Empty

SHERPs begin ~$120K
Old July 16th, 2024 | 05:21 PM

SHERPs begin ~$120K
Way outta my league, and no place to store anything that big anyway. They do look fun though!
Old July 16th, 2024 | 05:34 PM
Running On Empty

Getting lots of usage in Donetsk
Old July 16th, 2024 | 06:09 PM

I remember watching Deliverance for the first time with my old man on network TV. They edited it and got rid of most of the pig squealing and just cut to a helicopter view of the mountains with some guy yelling in pain in the distance.
Old July 16th, 2024 | 06:18 PM
Running On Empty

I saw it in the theater when it was released. Thrilling and shocking,
Old July 16th, 2024 | 06:58 PM
Running On Empty

Beverly Hills Cop: Axle F
Heck why not…
Old July 16th, 2024 | 09:06 PM

So, Toyota plants have weird music from Japan for andons (which means lights in Japanese). This is the music you hear when there is a fault on the line. There is often a song used for breaks. The Indiana plant uses a fast siren for the last vehicle and a loud tone similar to an old steam whistle for the break and the go horn. The Mazda Toyota plant in Alabama where I just was, uses the first few synth bars of Axel F for a break horn.

Old July 17th, 2024 | 01:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I think Mom forgot she said I could start bringing Tiger over in the mornings again. Got there and no porch light, and the place was locked up tight as a drum. Of course the TV was going and she was out like a light.

Forgot I had to stop for gas this morning so I pulled in and while it was pumping I decided it was a nice morning and put the top down. What a start contrast to driving home in the afternoon. It's like a blast furnace. But this morning it was cool and nice. Can't beat a convertible.

Chris I'm going to Celina, which is due north of Dayton about an hour. It's the annual Amphicar shindig. We've been going there for over 20 years. It used to be held at Lake George in New York, until a couple people got in the club who lived in Ohio and said, gee we should check out the Lake Fest(and also so we don't have to travel to New York). We get the whole town handed to us so that's why we keep going. I'd rather do something different but I'm the only one.

I've never seen Deliverance. Clips of it here and there, but really I have no desire to watch the whole thing. I'm not a fan of anyone that's in it and I absolutely can't stand Ronny ***.

That Sherp looks cool. I've always wanted an Amphi Ranger. But I'm cool with a DUKW and an Amphicar. I can't take either one of them out.

Okay got some wheels, I best sign them. Hope everyone has a good Hump Day.

Old July 17th, 2024 | 01:54 AM
Always room for one more

Chris I fogot you said you checked out the car place in Celina. Did you go there in person or did you call them on the phone? They have buildings full of nice cars, but I don't know how they stay in business because their prices are through the roof. Someone must buy stuff. I went there one time and the guy said he wasn't going to dig the car out that I wanted to see. Of course it was an overpriced piece of junk that was for sale for a year that no one wanted. I should have bought that car anyway. Then I'd have a 67 Cutlass.

Old July 17th, 2024 | 07:01 AM

Chris I fogot you said you checked out the car place in Celina. Did you go there in person or did you call them on the phone? They have buildings full of nice cars, but I don't know how they stay in business because their prices are through the roof. Someone must buy stuff. I went there one time and the guy said he wasn't going to dig the car out that I wanted to see. Of course it was an overpriced piece of junk that was for sale for a year that no one wanted. I should have bought that car anyway. Then I'd have a 67 Cutlass.
Mike - Yep, we've talked about Celina before. I made a side trip over there on one of my 2 trips to Michigan to check out cars. I believe it was the trip when I went to check out the 4-4-2 that I ended up buying. They had a '65 4-4-2 that was just OK, certainly overpriced for what it was. I took the time to check out many other cars in several of the out buildings. There were several other nice cars that caught my eye, but again they were way overpriced for what they were. I agree with you, ya gotta wonder how they ever stay in business with those kind of prices? Hope ya have nice weather and a great time at the Amphi convention. I think the weather is supposed to be low to mid-80's and dry this coming weekend, so it should be nice for you.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 17th, 2024 at 07:04 AM.
Old July 17th, 2024 | 07:21 AM
Running On Empty

John - That's very interesting about the break horn (Axle F) at the Alabama plant. I don't know, but I think it's pretty cool.
Old July 17th, 2024 | 07:26 AM
Running On Empty

I think Mom forgot she said I could start bringing Tiger over in the mornings again. Got there and no porch light, and the place was locked up tight as a drum. Of course the TV was going and she was out like a light.
Mike - You are an awesome son!
Old July 17th, 2024 | 09:07 AM

Still on shutdown here at Indiana. I couldn't find my respirator at home, so I figured I'd go to Menards (large home improvement chain) on the clock and get one to take into the plant. I need to punch some holes in a plastic project box and, last time, I used an air powered sander tool to trim up the hole and put plastic into the air. Don't need to breathe that again, so, respirator time. Also got some Spectracide hornet spray and 50 to 1 premix high octane 2 cycle gas.

Everyone seems to no longer sell the Round Up I want. I can still Amazon it. My place needs another dose, then I can burn the dead stuff to clean it up.

Sent off the newsletter to the proofers last night. I've got a record player delivered back at my house, so I will go home early and get it. Thing has needed a lot of repair, this time should be the ticket.

One of the typical outrages of getting old. I got Taco Bell for lunch and brought it in because I like it. However, I am no longer 20 and Taco Bell does not like me.
Old July 17th, 2024 | 09:10 AM
Always room for one more

I of course agree with you Norm, but there is nothing awesome about me in the above quote.

I don't need a porch light to walk up to the door in the dark. I lived in there for 18 years, and walked up in the dark plenty of times. I don't leave the light on when I go to work. Now if I would have had LED bulbs put in I might have. Anyway, Mom gets ready for bed and goes in her bedroom to watch TV, then falls asleep. So when I walk in at 3 the BR light is on and the TV is on. I don't disturb her and I tell Tiger to leave her be until she wakes up in the morning. I have a feeling I'm not even to the car before he's in there being a pest.

Also, when I put new locks on my "new" house I keyed them to be the same as my old house. That way Mom and my sister, by having a key to Mom's house, also have a key to my house. And that's one less key I need on my ring. I thought that was brilliant.

Old July 17th, 2024 | 09:20 AM
Always room for one more

Chris when I'm in Celina I'm gonna stop in to the car place and ask them whatever happened to that Cutlass. I can't imagine they'd still have it 4 or 5 years later, but heck maybe they just left it buried and forgot about it. Typical midwestern car, the underside was that crusty rust look that you get driving for years in salted winters. The quarters and fenders needed the corner patches, the floors were okay, and the top was shredded. All this for only 7K. I tracked down the guy they bought it from and talked to him on the phone. He wouldn't tell me what they paid him for it, but did say it was "around half what they are asking." Hehe

Old July 17th, 2024 | 09:34 AM
Running On Empty

I purchased a 5 gallon bucket of the original Professional Roundup ~18 years ago (expensive). I have ~32 ozs. remaining.

EDIT: It’s a 2.5 gal jug I just looked at it.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 17th, 2024 at 11:21 AM.
Old July 17th, 2024 | 10:37 AM

Chris when I'm in Celina I'm gonna stop in to the car place and ask them whatever happened to that Cutlass. I can't imagine they'd still have it 4 or 5 years later, but heck maybe they just left it buried and forgot about it.
Mike - Ya, I'd bet the car is gone, but ya never know unless you check? Personally, I just enjoy walking around checking out what they have. When I stopped in there I walked around for a couple hours without a salesperson, but with a notebook writing down the ID numbers of cars I wanted to get prices for. When I went to Atlanta to look at cars, I went to both Streetside Classics and Gateway Classic Cars. There was a '64 Impala SS I wanted to look at at Streetside, and a '67 Belvedere 2 I wanted to check out at Gateway. I took my Chevy (Corvette) buddy to help look at the Impala, and my Mopar buddy to help check out the Belvedere. Both cars turned out to be a bust for multiple reasons, but we had fun going around and just looking at their huge selections of nice cars, all way overpriced of course. We made a fun trip out of it!
Old July 17th, 2024 | 12:16 PM

I could use a little help Olds friends. I need a small trailer 6'x 6' ' with 4000 lb axles. Hauling water in a 500 gallon tote for trees. Any ideas?
Old July 17th, 2024 | 12:43 PM

Yes, a dead dually pickup and have someone cut it in half and weld the frame rails together with a hitch. Might have to take the wheel wells in the bed down.