The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2024, 06:55 AM

Chris, I've boarded horses in my other pasture for years. This one did live next door with the doctor god. She gave it to my wife. So now he lives with the others an isn't lonely
Old March 10th, 2024, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, I've boarded horses in my other pasture for years. This one did live next door with the doctor god. She gave it to my wife. So now he lives with the others an isn't lonely
Jim - I never grew up around horses, so I didn't know much about them. My ex-FIL usually kept 3 or 4 on his farm,, so my girls got the opportunity to grow up around them and learn to ride. I was glad my girls got that opportunity without me having to spend the time and $'s caring for them. From what I saw, horses are probably more of a money pit than Classic Cars.
Old March 10th, 2024, 07:53 AM
Running On Empty

Well , the super model now has a horse Gideon, Help me please
Get her a horse-drawn plowing cradle, hitch up that Gideon & put her to work.
Old March 10th, 2024, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Get her a horse-drawn plowing cradle, hitch up that Gideon & put her to work.
fat chance
Old March 10th, 2024, 07:58 AM

Chris, I grew up around them. they have a brain the size of a walnut. I've been bitten kicked bucked off more times than I care to remember. I have enough to do without another mouth to feed
Old March 10th, 2024, 07:58 AM
Running On Empty

After getting up @ 2AM to change my clocks, I wasn't able to get back to sleep. On my 2nd pot of coffee.

Jim - How old is the Gideon?
Old March 10th, 2024, 08:00 AM
Running On Empty

Yeah, I helped a couple members of my Mom's family (cousins/uncles) break/train horses. Lots of work.
Old March 10th, 2024, 08:18 AM

Chris, I grew up around them. they have a brain the size of a walnut. I've been bitten kicked bucked off more times than I care to remember. I have enough to do without another mouth to feed
I hear ya! Even after being around them for years on the FIL's farm, I'd much rather throw my leg over a dirt bike to ride trails and have fun than on the back of the horse. I never did gain an appreciation of them.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 10th, 2024 at 08:22 AM.
Old March 10th, 2024, 08:21 AM

After getting up @ 2AM to change my clocks, I wasn't able to get back to sleep. On my 2nd pot of coffee.
I sure as hell hope you're just $hitten us about getting up at 2am to set your clocks forward. I'm sure they wouldn't have cared if you waited until you woke up as usual to set them forward.
Old March 10th, 2024, 08:40 AM
Bfg

I stay away from horses because of the bad accident I had when I was young, the horse I was on threw me and my foot got caught in the stirrup and the horse continued running and wouldn’t stop until my dad pulled the plug.
Old March 10th, 2024, 09:32 AM

I have been on a horse once in my life. 6, at a fair at my elementary school, rode in a circle, horse was in a contraption. Never had a reason to, plus, as 6'4" overweight guy, I might be too heavy for a horse.
Old March 10th, 2024, 10:10 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I sure as hell hope you're just $hitten us about getting up at 2am to set your clocks forward.
I've been doing this wrong?

Old March 10th, 2024, 10:15 AM
Running On Empty

Besides learning to break/train & ride horses when I was young, I took both animal husbandry & two semesters of both English & Western Saddle Equestrian classes as an undergrad. I have a cousin, Sally, who won Wisconsin State Equestrian Champion (~1968/1969).
Old March 10th, 2024, 10:36 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful day out. It could warm up but I won't complain. Just got back from Walmart, it didn't seem so bad today. Maybe everyone was there an hour earlier.

I forgot all about changing my clocks when I went to bed. Funny because I've been chomping at the bit for time to change. When Tiger wanted to get up at a quarter to 4 this morning we went out, and when we got back in I touched the phone and it was an hour later. I was rather confused. In my state of unawakeness I decided to set the clock ahead so it would match the phone. If two things had the same time, it must be right.

John I think John Wayne had to have a special breed of horse because he was too big for a regular horse. I guess it wouldn't make a good movie if he was on a horse with his feet dragging the ground. I used to ride as a kid but haven't been on a horse in decades. Not sure I'd want to take care of a horse. Tiger is 7 hands to the shoulder.

Now maybe I could get one of those Belgian working horses. I could ride it to work. Good luck to Super Model and Gideon.

Okay laundry this afternoon and truck maintenance. It wouldn't start this morning and I messed and messed with it. For whatever reason the battery cables need to be moved around sometimes to get it to start. This morning moving the cables made some relay buzz but it would crank, but not start. I could hear the fuel pump cycle in the tank. Electric isn't my strong point, so if I can't figure it out easily this afternoon I'll have it hooked to the mechanic. I can't be without my truck.

Okay gotta get moving. I slept in and then set the clock up, so I'm a little behind today. That's okay. Hope everyone has a good afternoon.

Old March 10th, 2024, 01:28 PM

I finally found my dealer
Old March 10th, 2024, 01:37 PM

I finally found my dealer
Tag-a-longs, Samoas, and Thin Mints for me!
Old March 10th, 2024, 01:48 PM

Norm, bought one of your pizza's yesterday, and it was pretty good.Stopped by my buddy's house yesterday, talked about cars, crap that we did when we were younger (and survived), and retirement. Mahle has been letting people go over the last few months where he is located. Went from 80 in that office 5 years ago, down to 20 this year. Thinks that they may offer him a package this fall. We talked about the Kryta's W43 hemi car. he is a bit skeptical on thier ability to get a running version going considering that the Olds engineers has issues of their own that they did not overcome. My buddy has 45 years in the industry as a senior appllication engineer @ Muskegon Pistion Ring, Hastings,Sealed Power/Mahle. Working in the valvetrain, pistons and rings arena. From Detroit Diesel to Stalantis. Got some ribs baking, should be ready in another hour or so.
Old March 10th, 2024, 03:11 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Bfg
I stay away from horses because of the bad accident I had when I was young, the horse I was on threw me and my foot got caught in the stirrup and the horse continued running and wouldn’t stop until my dad pulled the plug.
That's terrible, sorry it happened to you.
Old March 10th, 2024, 03:20 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - That dealer's a keeper.
Chris - You have a nice gaggle of young ones. You're fortunate.
Mike - I hope you figured out the truck issue.
Dan - Glad you enjoyed a Bellatoria pizza. Hope your buddy has enjoyed his career. Sounds like he's anticipating something in the not too distant future.
John - Having pizza, again; or, ya stuffed?
Kenneth - Nice you didn't have to get up @ 2AM.

I spent the majority of the day painting the awning. Time for Myst & a PB&J sammeech.
Old March 10th, 2024, 03:29 PM

Kenneth - Nice you didn't have to get up @ 2AM.
But I did. Heard one of the dogs barking and had to perform a coyote check. Those critters have been using my back yard as a shortcut between neighborhoods.
No ‘yotes seen this time, both dogs went out and whizzed, which helped me get back to sleep knowing they were set for the rest of the night.
Old March 10th, 2024, 03:41 PM
Running On Empty

I've resided in both Texas & California & I've seen lots of coyotes; but the greatest, I guess you'd say "thrill", was experiencing coyote populations throughout the night in both the Chiricahua Mountains & the Sonoran Desert. Tent camped for ~two weeks in each area.
Old March 10th, 2024, 03:58 PM

I've resided in both Texas & California & I've seen lots of coyotes; but the greatest, I guess you'd say "thrill", was experiencing coyote populations throughout the night in both the Chiricahua Mountains & the Sonoran Desert. Tent camped for ~two weeks in each area.
The best coyote story I have was from one afternoon when I was Elk hunting near Powderhorn, Colorado. A Cow and her yearling entered a clearing in some Aspens I was glassing from about 100-yards away. I was quite high above the clearing so I could see them well. No sooner than the Elk entered the clearing, they were surrounded by 4 coyotes. I watched the Momma fend off those coyotes for a good hour and she finally drove them off for good. That was one determined Momma and quite the show!
Old March 10th, 2024, 04:03 PM

Chris - You have a nice gaggle of young ones. You're fortunate.
Thanks Norm, I'm blessed for sure!
Old March 10th, 2024, 04:06 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Once in a lifetime experience watching an Elk fend off coyotes.
Old March 10th, 2024, 05:45 PM

Chris - Once in a lifetime experience watching an Elk fend off coyotes.
Yep, for sure! Sure wish I could have gotten video. Even if I'd had a cell phone (which I didn't), it would have been too far away. I was watching thru a 20X - 60X Spotting Scope on a tripod and the view was spectacular. I had made up my mind, and was prepared to start picking off coyotes if I thought they were gonna get the better of her!
Old March 10th, 2024, 06:18 PM
Always room for one more

I don't have a coyote story. The other night though I came home about 1130 at night and heard a bunch of them whoopin' it up, they were probably only a couple streets away. Tiger and I hurried in the house and that was all.

Norm I think BFG had a different meaning to his story.

I didn't get to look at my truck this afternoon. Got busy doing other things then all of a sudden the afternoon was over. I'm off work tomorrow so I'll try to have a look. If not I'll hike it off to the mechanic. I don't have a maintenance manual for the truck so I'd be flying blind anyway.

Think I'll get Tiger a snack and then that will be it for the evening. Had Pizza Hut for dinner, wasn't too bad. Wasn't terrific. Hope everyone's week starts out well.

Old March 10th, 2024, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Mike - I was thinking the same thing. Carnival/amusement park carousel? Foot got stuck in the stirrup until Dad "pulled the plug"?
Old March 10th, 2024, 07:43 PM

Norm, I had some pizza for lunch.

Tonight, I made a huge amount of my mother's yankee ribs, enough that I got my second, smaller pressure cooker going. Piled it all into a baking dish, applied one bottle sauce, then 25 minutes in the oven and bam, ersatz ribs.

My mom doesn't have a family macaroni and cheese recipe, so I downloaded one that looked promising and made it. I need to get into side dishes. So far, I can bake/cook 8 entrees, 1 side dish, and I can do veggies, salads, and grill pretty well. I can make one dessert. So, I think I will work on side dishes and desserts next.

I have a next-level mess in the kitchen. Think I'm done cooking for a couple weeks.

Last edited by Koda; March 10th, 2024 at 07:45 PM.
Old March 10th, 2024, 07:45 PM

Old March 11th, 2024, 03:26 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Mike - I was thinking the same thing. Carnival/amusement park carousel? Foot got stuck in the stirrup until Dad "pulled the plug"?
I think he was referencing one of the standalone toy riding horses we used to see/ride as kids outside the entrances of most grocery stores - maybe in jest, maybe not.
Old March 11th, 2024, 04:54 AM
Running On Empty

The United Airlines 777 which had a wheel fall off seconds after liftoff a couple days ago is puzzling. Someone's head should roll on that one.
Old March 11th, 2024, 06:26 AM

John looking good Ill send ya some dos si does for dessert

Last edited by Jamesbo; March 11th, 2024 at 06:30 AM.
Old March 11th, 2024, 09:50 AM

I think he was referencing one of the standalone toy riding horses we used to see/ride as kids outside the entrances of most grocery stores - maybe in jest, maybe not.
That very well could be, I didn't think about those. They were everywhere back in the day.
Old March 11th, 2024, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Norm, I had some pizza for lunch.

Tonight, I made a huge amount of my mother's yankee ribs, enough that I got my second, smaller pressure cooker going.
Ribs look delicious John!
Old March 11th, 2024, 11:50 AM
Running On Empty

That very well could be, I didn't think about those. They were everywhere back in the day.
A H.S. Economics teacher owned ~20-30 of those sidewalk toys - horses, cars, trucks, bumblebees, spaceships, etc. He collected $$ from them all around town. I didn't care for the guy - he was a goof. I didn't take Economics, but he taught a gymnastics period (also), and I can attest I didn't like him.

Old March 11th, 2024, 02:02 PM

Was he a diddler?
Old March 11th, 2024, 02:28 PM

The United Airlines 777 which had a wheel fall off seconds after liftoff a couple days ago is puzzling. Someone's head should roll on that one.
Wheel falling off, sliding off the runway, hydraulic system failure. All in one week.
Old March 11th, 2024, 02:59 PM
Running On Empty

And, WTH is up w/ both Alaska Airlines & Boeing regarding no documentation exists of the door which blew off the 737. They just opened a criminal investigation.
Old March 11th, 2024, 03:11 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful today. Ran a bunch of errands and puttered around the house a little.

Not sure what the deal is with United. My first question is, is it time for contract negotiations? Stupid **** like this happens when someone is due a new contract. Though potentially killing someone doesn't sound like it would help in the talks.

Kenneth I might have asked you this before but I don't remember. Does driving with the headlights on during the day in the summer help the battery not go bad as quick? I knew a guy once who insisted that was the case. The alternator charging more helped the battery. I was a kid when I heard this, how would I know?

Well happy week everyone. I'm going to be out of pocket for a week or so, and I'll catch up when I get back. Hope everyone stays well.

Old March 11th, 2024, 03:17 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Safe travels have a great time.