The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2024, 09:35 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Walmart lunacy is done. Now I get to decide what to do the rest of the afternoon.

Greg that sounds like an excellent vacation. I stayed a couple days in one of the Phoenix highrises right on the beach a few years ago. The area was nice but not too crowded.

No rain but it's cloudy and kind of cool. Strange the yellow pollen hasn't started yet, but I'm not asking for it.

Well I guess I'll get to it. Hope everyone has a nice afternoon.

Old March 3rd, 2024, 09:59 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
The Eagles wrote a song called Desperado.
I know - I was busting *****.
Old March 3rd, 2024, 10:38 AM
Always room for one more

Old March 3rd, 2024, 01:30 PM
Running On Empty

Trending...almost knocked it out. Rain forecast all day tomorrow beginning late tonight. Baby back ribs have been in the slow cooker since 8:30am, spuds heading into oven.

Old March 3rd, 2024, 01:36 PM

Norm, nice work ( and fast)
Old March 3rd, 2024, 02:12 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Thanks. I'm starving.
Old March 3rd, 2024, 02:17 PM

Look'n nice Norm -

Bakers scaffold worth its weight in gold. An ole boy I worked with back in the day had some flat stock in his scrap/don't throw that out yet pile and bent me up a couple hangers that hold an old 11x13 2"deep enamel baking pan I had from Grandma for a tool tray. One of the better tools in the stable.
I wish I had 1/2 of your ambition and "stick to it iv nice"

Old March 3rd, 2024, 02:45 PM

Made Ricotta cheese blueberry pancakes this a.m., baby back ribs later in the week.
Old March 3rd, 2024, 03:00 PM
Running On Empty

Old March 3rd, 2024, 03:06 PM
Running On Empty

Keith - There isn't a bone in my body which doesn't ache in the morning when I'm engaged in these activities. I awake wishing I was in traction.

Dan - Ricotta cheese blueberry pancakes? Oh hell, yes.
Old March 3rd, 2024, 03:29 PM
Running On Empty

Keith - You're spot-on about a Baker scaffold. I can't recall the far too many times I told myself I'm going to make a tray holder. Hell, they sell them. I like your idea - make your own. This Baker is ~20 yrs. old. I've replaced floor board twice. I wouldn't engage in 1/2 what I do if I didn't have the tools.
Old March 3rd, 2024, 03:29 PM
Always room for one more

Garage looks good Norm. So does dinner. Won't be long now before it's time for the mid-afternoon milkshake.

Work tomorrow, and I have to work all five. Who wants to do that. I have a feeling it will go fast, because I leave for AU next week and I haven't even begun to get ready. That reminds me, I need to find my leftover money from the last time I was there. I don't like to have too much because it's just wasting money. But it is nice to have local money when I land, in case I want to get something to eat before I find an ATM. I used to just give it all to my friends until I figured out I'd use it eventually.

Been a nice day, cloudy but warmish. Rain Tuesday. Think I'll pay some bills. Have a good evening everyone.

Old March 3rd, 2024, 04:28 PM

[QUOTE=Vintage Chief;1556558]Keith - You're spot-on about a Baker scaffold. I can't recall the far too many times I told myself I'm going to make a tray holder. Hell, they sell them. I like your idea - make your own.

I could not find Grandma's Apple Kuchen pan that fit **** but you will see the picture...

Old March 3rd, 2024, 04:51 PM
Running On Empty

Keith - Yes, good job.
Old March 3rd, 2024, 05:34 PM

I hurt my shoulder a few years ago. It doesn't bother me unless I do overhead work. Yesterday I was running a battery powered crimper making safety cables and the last two were above the others so I was running it above my head while standing on a stairset. Feeling it today.

Norm, what goes over the top row of shingles?

Mike, the sad piano music in the video is the funniest part.
Old March 3rd, 2024, 06:27 PM
Running On Empty

John - Flashing from the underside of the last siding lap board extends onto the awning ~8". That 8" flashing (now folded upright) is cemented & nailed over a course of shingles at the top of the awning then covered w/ the last course of shingles (which will be a custom cut).

You're right about the music being the funniest piece in the video.
Old March 4th, 2024, 02:48 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rain last night that wasn't expected so now everything is wet and gross. Eh. It's gonna rain all week anyway what's the difference.

So here I am at Big D. Guess what. Today is 30 years for me. I remember nearing 20 thinking, this has gone on long enough. Nearing 25 I thought, this was fun time for a change. Now at 30, I guess I'm here for the duration.

It was the hair cut guy that got me.

Short several guys today, so things might be busy. That's okay. It's been a long time since I've topped my personal best, which currently stands at 62. Today might be the day.

Hope everyone has a good start to their week.

Old March 4th, 2024, 03:17 AM

Norm.....You get **** done.
Old March 4th, 2024, 05:08 AM

Old March 4th, 2024, 05:21 AM

Jim- no we didn't go to a mall, Norm, great job as usual. Nice here they think today will set high temp records- 60's! I'll take it. But no snow even in U P. Usually around here people take a trip to Upper Penninsula for snow, but none there. Feel bad for those guys who bought $20,000 snowmobiles! My guess is you prolly can buy used ones cheap now.
Old March 4th, 2024, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
John - Flashing from the underside of the last siding lap board extends onto the awning ~8". That 8" flashing (now folded upright) is cemented & nailed over a course of shingles at the top of the awning then covered w/ the last course of shingles (which will be a custom cut).

You're right about the music being the funniest piece in the video.
Norm- I don't mean to criticize- but I was a roofer for many years, and one tip from an old pro is "never nail through your flashing". I know people do it all the time, but nail holes eventually provide a path for water to seep into the roof deck and rot the wood. Also, when you replace the shingles, you'll have to pull the nails out of the flashing which leaves more holes. Or, you'll have to remove the bottom course or 2 of siding to replace the flashing. Back in the day, we used lead flashing for a roof like yours, called a "bib" or "apron" flashing. The lead goes up under the lower course of siding, shingle all the way up until the flashing covers all but the tabs, and the sealing strip is under the lead. If you want, you can run a bead of a good roofing cement on the last course of shingles under the lead, to glue it down. Lead is soft so it lays flatter than aluminum. If you want to use aluminum, use a heavier gauge and bend it to the correct angle on your break and glue it down, but don't cover it with shingle tabs, or nail through it. Leave the flashing exposed. This isn't criticism, just a suggestion...

notice the bib flashing is exposed, not nailed down.
Old March 4th, 2024, 07:01 AM

Hi guys,

Norm - Great job, as usual, on R & R of the garage roofing!

Mike - Big congrats on hitting 30-yrs at the big D! 👍

Dan - The Ricotta Cheese and Blueberry pancakes sound delicious!

Spent most of the day yesterday prepping the 4-4-2 for Spring. Oil/filter change and front end lube. Finally put the SSI's on there (pic). Whad'yall think? Probably gonna start in on some engine bay dealing later this morning, that's really all I have left to do.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Old March 4th, 2024, 07:33 AM

They look great, what size tires are you running?

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Hi guys,

Spent most of the day yesterday prepping the 4-4-2 for Spring. Oil/filter change and front end lube. Finally put the SSI's on there (pic). Whad'yall think? Probably gonna start in on some engine bay dealing later this morning, that's really all I have left to do.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old March 4th, 2024, 07:50 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Thanks. I'll bet they're enjoying their snowmobiles in the Sierra Mountains in California. Seven feet of snowfall - insane.
Ray - Thanks. Doing my best.
Jim - That Fogerty clip brings back some chilling memories.

Dave - I have no issues with constructive criticism. You make valid points. Thanks for chiming in. The awning covers an open (no garage door) garage I suspect is as old as the original home itself - 93 years (1931). A friend of mine, John (professional roofer in Florida) and I did the tear off and installation of new roofing shingles on the house & garage after I purchased the home (2001). I rebuilt two chimneys above the roof line of the house prior to new shingles. Basically I was cutting out bad roof deck boards & installing new roof deck boards on the roof while John did the actual roofing. The bib flashing image you provided is exactly how John installed the new flashing for each chimney. It was interesting watching him cut the mortar, create/fashion & install the flashing - no nails. He did not use nails on either the house roof drip edge or the garage roof drip edge. I do recall he wished I could have gotten 3" overhang drip edge instead of the 1.5" overhang - but the materials were already on-site. I looked everywhere at local suppliers & could not find any locally. He installed the 1.5" overhang drip edge.

The garage awning was last on the roofing agenda. The original very thick aluminum flashing was already up under the last (1" x 6") bottom lap board where awning meets garage siding. Mind you, the awning had a 6" sag in the middle which I had already made a make-shift temporary brace to bring it level prior to the re-shingle. The question (from John) became - what do we do here? Remove the last bottom lap board piece of siding from the garage & fashion new flashing or go with what's already in place? To be honest, I initially suspected I was going to remove the entire awning & install a garage door, instead. Since the very thick aluminum flashing was already in place I really had no problem electing not to remove the bottom lap board and install new flashing. Ya gotta pick your battles. At the end of the day: (1) I didn't particularly like the awning (at the time) and (2) I didn't feel compelled to basically re-build/re-construct a new awning interface. I was more or less in limbo and said let's go with what's already there. The ONLY manner to get the already installed very thick flashing to lay down was to nail it and that's what we did. We sorta picked the lesser of two evils so-to-speak. To your point regarding nailing the awning roof edge. I thought about this last week & watched a couple tutorial videos from roofers. You're right - some nailed it, some did not. I found however, there was some discussion regarding when it is and when it is not appropriate to nail roof edge & it appeared to my untrained eye this decision was often discussed relative to areas of the country & roofing materials employed - i.e. paper vs. felt, ice damming, moisture, air gapping/pockets, gutters, etc.

At the end of the day, it's still just a simple garage roof awning. You brought up some good points. Thanks!

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 4th, 2024 at 07:53 AM.
Old March 4th, 2024, 07:52 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Love the SSI wheels - big improvement, IMO.
Old March 4th, 2024, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mattking
They look great, what size tires are you running?
Thanks Matt! The tires are 235 60r 15's on 15 x 7's. What they replaced were 235 55r 17's on a 17" aluminum Torque Thrust style wheel.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 4th, 2024 at 08:14 AM.
Old March 4th, 2024, 08:12 AM

Chris - Love the SSI wheels - big improvement, IMO.
Thanks Norm, much appreciated! Honestly, I'm still torn which ones I like the look of best. I like them both for different reasons. I do love the OEM look of the SSI's. I haven't driven the car yet with the new ones on because there's still alot of salt dust on the roads from the last snow event. We're supposed to get quite a bit of rain the next 3-days and I'm interested to see what she feels like on the road
Old March 4th, 2024, 08:30 AM
Running On Empty

Here's a question for anyone paying attention. This is a picture of Robert Plant taken in 1969 by Jim Cummins @ Atlantic Studios in New York City during a Led Zeppelin II recording session. I have seen this image many, many times over the past 50 years. The t-shirt Plant is wearing was the official (1st) Atlanta International Pop Festival souvenir t-shirt sold by vendors at the Atlanta International Raceway in Hampton, Georgia (over 4th of July weekend).

What is "unique" about this picture is the fact Plant placed a restaurant/bar/saloon logo sticker "over" the the t-shirt & was wearing it the day Jim took this picture. I recall having this discussion w/ "someone" over the years (I was a heavy sound board tape trader for many years). For some reason I had a peculiar proclivity/penchant for album art covers/designs over the years. You might have guessed, many of the albums I owned had images captured by Jim Cummins (e.g. Jimi Hendrix).

The logo sticker. I have been to this restaurant/bar/saloon somewhere - I can't recall where. I've been to Atlanta ~30 - 40 times & I've been to many areas of NYC ~30 - 40 times. I'm nearly 100% I have eaten at this logo sticker depicted restaurant/bar/saloon. The logo sticker may not have come from a place in either Atlanta or NYC, but I know this logo sticker from somewhere - anyone have an idea?

Old March 4th, 2024, 08:39 AM
Running On Empty

NOTE: I was an exchange student eight weeks in Europe summer of 1969. Plant is from England. I saw the original production of HAIR (Shaftesbury Theatre), caught a show by Ian Hunter & some other crazy stuff. I've been to numerous restaurants/bars/saloons throughout England maybe 20-30 times over the years. I wonder...?
Old March 4th, 2024, 08:44 AM

I take it to mean that you collect audio recordings straight off the mixer? I knew lots of folks that traded dead shows but I thought it was kinda specific to them and to a lesser extent Phish.
A lot of my friends try to grab set lists off the stage after a show, at first I thought you might have been referring to a list the engineer kept about mics and speaker arrangements and such.

If Im right about the recordings was most of this done on reel to reel or something else.... super interesting

What is "unique" about this picture is the fact Plant placed a restaurant/bar/saloon logo sticker "over" the the t-shirt & was wearing it the day Jim took this picture. I recall having this discussion w/ "someone" over the years (I was a heavy sound board tape trader for many years). For some reason I had a peculiar proclivity/penchant for album art covers/designs over the years. You might have guessed, many of the albums I owned had images captured by Jim Cummins (e.g. Jimi Hendrix).

Old March 4th, 2024, 08:50 AM

Here's a question for anyone paying attention.

Norm - That Logo/sticker on Plant's t-shirt is clearly the Dr. Oldsmobile's W-30 Machines Logo!

Old March 4th, 2024, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by mattking
I take it to mean that you collect audio recordings straight off the mixer? I knew lots of folks that traded dead shows but I thought it was kinda specific to them and to a lesser extent Phish.
A lot of my friends try to grab set lists off the stage after a show, at first I thought you might have been referring to a list the engineer kept about mics and speaker arrangements and such.

If Im right about the recordings was most of this done on reel to reel or something else.... super interesting
Both the Dead and Phish are jam bands where the live show and the ambience outshine whatever technical talent the musicians may or may not have and the studio albums are almost just one take of an evolving live song. That being said, the Dead encouraged recording their shows, which is why there are so many live tapes around.

To record a show, the recorder could be set to a separate mix off the sound board, or, if the remote speaker stacks were a long way away, the sound guys could use local FM to send the signal back to them. In that case, you could sit in the parking lot with an FM tuner and tape off the broadcast. Then, of course, there's taping from the audience.

One of the best ones I have ever heard was someone took two high quality stereo tape recordings made years before of Pink Floyd playing Boston Garden in 1975 and matched the speeds, tones, and synched them and turned it into the best sounding quad mix of a live Floyd concert I have ever heard. The two recorders were approximately 40 yards apart, one in front of the other, centered, and that's how the surround mix is laid out.

Old March 4th, 2024, 08:59 AM
Running On Empty

Matt - You are correct. Of course, the recording equipment was germane to the era - some was reel-to-reel until the advent of cassette tapes. At one point I had >3500 hours of soundboard tapes (~1700 cassettes). Most were Dead shows, but many were/are vintage Morrison (Matrix), Kaukonen, Hendrix, Zappa, etc. shows. Anything I personally owned was cassette tape. I did own several reel-to-reel decks back in the mid-60s/early-70s when I was playing in garage bands in H.S. i.e. experimenting w/ reverberation on reel-to-reel decks with loopback effects. Anyways, over the years there developed an inherit trust relationship among avid traders as to authenticity of recordings. We kept track via generation notations. 1st GEN = direct from soundboard>reel-to-reel; or, 1st GEN = cassette from soundboard>cassette; 2nd = direct from sound board reel-to-reel>cassette, etc., etc. ad infinitum. To get trade for something really tasty you'd better have something equally tasty to trade.
Old March 4th, 2024, 09:04 AM
Always room for one more

There's a Dr. Oldsmobile restaurant in Atlanta?

Old March 4th, 2024, 09:07 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - That Logo/sticker on Plant's t-shirt is clearly the Dr. Oldsmobile's W-30 Machines Logo!
Chris - There ya go! Thank you so much.
Old March 4th, 2024, 09:08 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks Chris. Do you have drum brakes up front or discs?

Old March 4th, 2024, 09:12 AM
Running On Empty

Without annoying anyone I possess some very tasty soundboard music. Several are 1st GEN, many are 2nd GEN, but most are 3rd GEN and greater. One of the tastier tapes which was "supposedly" circulating at one point was a non-verified tape of a Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions garage recording (reel-to-reel) w/ Pigpen, Garcia & Weir sometime prior to 1965. I do not own a copy of that tape - but supposedly it exists.
Old March 4th, 2024, 09:16 AM

Chris - There ya go! Thank you so much.
Originally Posted by slantflat
Thanks Chris. Do you have drum brakes up front or discs?
Norm - You're welcome!

Mike - You're welcome, 30-yrs is a big accomplishment! I have discs upfront, drums on the rear. SSI wheels are 15" repro Wheel Vintiques to accommodate the front discs.
Old March 4th, 2024, 09:25 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - When are you going to Australia and how long is your trip?
Old March 4th, 2024, 09:43 AM

On the "supposedly it exits" point . It reminds me that there are collectors and even searchers actively looking for the lost Dr. Who episodes.
Dr. Who was like many shows of the era and not catalogued or recorded with any serious thought behind it. I think there's 100 ish episodes that are missing.

So a Dr who story might have been 3 or 4 maybe 8 episodes and there's a lot of stories where only one episode or two is gone. My friend gave me a hard drive with everything up to that point that is available, but now I'm even behind. So for the missing episode, you may see a still frame, and either a period audio recording off the air, or modern people reading the script.

Every few years a new tape is found, often it is just a better recording, but I think the BBC is still going after people for owning these recordings, so there are rumors that big time collectors have stuff, but wont turn it over. The BBC was on the air in many of its colonies so some engineer in Sydney or Gambia or Kenya starts cleaning a closet out and stumbles on a 2" tape.. boom new episode.

Ive been distracted from it for a few years, Im still watching the first series, but one day Ill get there.

Without annoying anyone I possess some very tasty soundboard music. Several are 1st GEN, many are 2nd GEN, but most are 3rd GEN and greater. One of the tastier tapes which was "supposedly" circulating at one point was a non-verified tape of a Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions garage recording (reel-to-reel) w/ Pigpen, Garcia & Weir sometime prior to 1965. I do not own a copy of that tape - but supposedly it exists.