The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2023, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Hope everybody had a nice weekend , we had really nice weather here for some weeks now and hope it continues. Today we took our bikes and got us some dinner and a nice ride.
Glenn - Again, nice to hear from you. Glad you and your wife are doing well. Looks like it was a beautiful day for a ride. Be safe out there.
Old June 4th, 2023, 10:51 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

A little overcast today, forecast is for rain, somewhere, but probably not around here. The clouds keep it cooler than it would otherwise be so that's okay. It's actually very nice out.

We just got back from Walmart. Wasn't as crowded today as it usually is, we must have been early and everyone still in church. I did go to Awful house today and saw a couple guys, had a nice visit. Went to my airport and chatted awhile as well. You know that actually is my airport. By being a member and paying my yearly dues, if the place is ever sold I get part of the money.

Norm therapy? Hm, how nice would it be to just lay back and blabber on about whatever troubles me, and have someone take notes. I'd really feel like someone gave a damn. When I was in jr. high school a friend of mine knew some college professor and one day this friend asked a few of us if we wanted to go participate in a class he had. This would have been somewhere around 1980. And my parents allowed this, no one else knew the professor, his students would come to our houses and pick us up and take us to the community college to be in this psyc class. We'd all sit in a circle and seemingly just chat. Years later I realized the students were probably analyzing what we kids said at some other time that we weren't there. The class was a couple times a week but we only went once a week. Of course nothing ever became of the strangers schlepping us around, no one was abducted or murdered or anything. Not sure that would fly these days.

Mom wants to come over this afternoon and help with the laundry. Okay, it will be nice to have company. Tiger will like it. Work tomorrow already.

Hope everyone has a good afternoon. June is well on its way.

Old June 4th, 2023, 11:19 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - That's an interesting story about being schlepped around to various houses and the community college. During my undergrad years I signed up for several various paid volunteer research ventures - funded & conducted by various departments on campus (University Of Illness, Urbana-Champaign). I remember this one study lasted about three months (this was in the '70s). I'd go in, sit in this chair, read from a computer screen & immediately answer questions regarding what I read. What's novel/interesting about this study was this was prior to the development & release of the PC to the general public. Of course, University Of Illness was one of if not the premier computer science college in the nation. I could go on about it, but you can research it yourself. One notable fore was Univ Of Illness was the first to completely put the Dewey Decimal System on-line in a college library - via PLATO. Bill G came to Univ Of Illness to have a fireside chat w/ the boys in the computer science engineering department about his release of MS-DOS - I managed to nestle my way into Murphy's Pub (on campus) to watch these geeks slamming down brewskies while getting obnoxious. Fun times.
Old June 4th, 2023, 11:45 AM
Running On Empty

I have a nice five pounder smoked pork tenderloin smothered in butter & garlic in the slow cooker. The house smells disgusting.
Old June 4th, 2023, 12:38 PM

norm With all due respect. At Emory I was fortunate enough to KNOW [ in the Biblical sense] A library science major . I was under the impression that large college libraries used the Library of congress system and Not the Dewey decimal system Since I had no intention of renting my own cubical I could be wrong
Old June 4th, 2023, 12:45 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - You're correct it was the LC system. Either way, first in the nation digital on-line library catalog.
Old June 4th, 2023, 12:59 PM
Running On Empty

FWIW PLATO stands for Programmed Logic for Automated Teaching Operations
Old June 4th, 2023, 01:43 PM
Running On Empty

Old June 4th, 2023, 01:59 PM

Norm, Ill be right over
Old June 4th, 2023, 02:04 PM
Running On Empty

Placed an ad on CL yesterday for my Kobalt cement mixer. I woke up to an email from Henry who wants to buy it if I'm in the area where he lives. So happens I'll be playing a golf tournament in same town as Henry this Tuesday. Henry owns a couple 2-3 construction companies, lives on ~11 acres and is going to erect a 60'x40' (2400'sq) pole barn. He wants something to set his side-wall vertical poles. Gets better - said to Henry I'm about 30 days out from finishing use of my heavy duty scaffolding - which I'm going to list next month. Asked me how many sections, I said eight & I have x10 heavy duty steel hardened rubber wheels. Henry is 70 yrs. old (talks up a storm) - tells me it's a no-brainer he'll buy the scaffolding when I'm done at end of June. Henry also owns his own saw mill. I asked him about his planers. He has two - both can accommodate 4'W pieces. I asked him about his planer blades - they're reversible.
Old June 4th, 2023, 02:06 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I'll have a setting waiting for you.
Old June 4th, 2023, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jim - I'll have a setting waiting for you.
Norm - Put down an extra setting, nothing I like any better than a good pork loin! I also love pork loin sandwiches. Looks delicious!
Old June 4th, 2023, 02:38 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Done. You're sitting directly across from Jim.
Old June 4th, 2023, 02:57 PM
Running On Empty

Old June 4th, 2023, 03:36 PM

Man, you're killing me!
Old June 4th, 2023, 04:09 PM
Running On Empty

Yummy...

Old June 4th, 2023, 05:15 PM
Always room for one more

Had a nice afternoon. Mom came over to help with the laundry, but since the laundry pretty much does itself we cleaned in the kitchen a little bit and rearranged some things and put things away.

Tomorrow I need to call the service guy at Carmax and see if I can get him to straighten things out. You owe us 70 bucks but we don't know why doesn't fly with me. I hope it's simple because after making a scene I'll have to pay it anyway or I won't get my car back. I mean, I could go over there with the other key and take it, but I'm sure they'd have some rule against that as well. Probably charge me another 70 bucks.

Ah Monday is upon us. I gotta work all 5 days, who wants to do that. Then I'll be off for two weeks. Hope when I get back they don't have to retrain me. Have a good night everyone.

Old June 4th, 2023, 05:33 PM

I sure hope ya have extra bowls for your 2 best buds
Old June 4th, 2023, 06:10 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I sure hope ya have extra bowls for your 2 best buds

Old June 4th, 2023, 06:20 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Tomorrow I need to call the service guy at Carmax and see if I can get him to straighten things out. You owe us 70 bucks but we don't know why doesn't fly with me. I hope it's simple because after making a scene I'll have to pay it anyway or I won't get my car back. I mean, I could go over there with the other key and take it, but I'm sure they'd have some rule against that as well. Probably charge me another 70 bucks.
We, as Americans, have failed miserably in comparison to generally MOST areas of the world when it comes to the services industry. Our services industry in the U.S.A. is, for the most part, absolutely atrocious. As such, IMO, I believe we have lost respect for values; and, when the rest of the world looks upon us, they are painfully correct - we've established ourselves as a nation of greed - not value. Who cares about the basic fundamental value(s) of communication? I see it day in and day out. I've become more & more apathetic towards people and rightfully so. No one gives a rat's *** about anything any longer i.e. I deserve respect (no, you earn it), it's all about me (no it isn't), I want it all (no you only need a few things) - greed is a great template for disaster.
Old June 4th, 2023, 06:21 PM
Running On Empty

^^^My soap box for the day^^^
Old June 4th, 2023, 08:30 PM

Worked from 7am till noon today. Came home, had lunch. I poured what little ethanol free gas I had into the H/O, went to the gas station in the truck with cans, bought 34 gallons in various tanks. 3 more gallons in the H/O, it gets 11 or 12 mpg. 6 in the Monte Carlo, it only got 13 that run, I ran it some in place, usually gets 15. Went and checked on my van, it took 17 gallons. Checked air in the tires, only the spare needed it. Oil and brake fluid ok. Put in a quart of 50/50 antifreeze. Put a charger on the battery, it did not need much. I'll run it here shortly.

Went to the storage unit, moved crap out of the way of the 442. Put some air in its tires. Engine oil and coolant and power steering fine. Should have checked brake fluid as the brakes are weak now. Dumped a quart of atf in it, it has a massive leak and ends up in the catch pan under the car. I'd been charging the battery, put it in. Spun the engine some, put some gas down the choke and it fired up pretty easily. Stabilized it, put that ATF in it, put it in reverse and got moving. Hit the brakes and was glad I had plenty of room to get it stopped. I'll drive it around the storage unit some next time. I need to pull it out and move stuff around. Took pictures and crappy video. It has an exhaust leak.

http://www.landofjohn.com/cutlass/1.mp4
http://www.landofjohn.com/cutlass/2.mp4

Last edited by Koda; June 4th, 2023 at 08:36 PM.
Old June 5th, 2023, 02:45 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Even though I only worked till noon on Saturday, it feels like I never left here at all this weekend. Eh, work. A four letter word. I tell Tiger I have to go to work so we can keep living in our house.

Looks like we should have a good start to work this morning. Plenty of wheels ready, we'll see if the workers are up to it. I know how I'd bet. It's supposed to rain today, so I'm going to be on reserve. Gotta save my energy for this afternoon.

John the car looks terrific. Did I ever ask you what its build date is?

Okay have a good morning everyone.

Old June 5th, 2023, 03:25 AM

Bingo. You nailed it Norm.
Old June 5th, 2023, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Dzi
Bingo. You nailed it Norm.
X 2 Norm the old greed ball rules the world
Old June 5th, 2023, 05:24 AM
Running On Empty

We've had a second really large cyclone off the Atlantic Ocean again the year. I mentioned the 1st one in an earlier thread. Kind of peculiar this time of year, IMO. I've resided here 22 years and I've not seen this much cyclonic activity this time of year. It would be kinda cool to know (I suppose) where the first car I ever owned/purchased in 1969 is located & its condition (1967 4-4-2). Perhaps like many, it was thrilling to own your first car but the novelty fades quickly as your developing through your teenage years. I honestly never thought anything more of the many vehicles I've owned other than a mode of transportation. Tee-time 12:45pm today, shotgun (tournament) tee-time 9:30am tomorrow, tee-time 8:46am Wednesday (9-Hole Shootout @ 5:00pm), tee-time 8:46am Thursday & shotgun (tournament) tee-time Friday 9:00am. Time to water the hanging ferns on front porch and water-in the GrubEx granules.
Old June 5th, 2023, 05:57 AM

Mike, it says 5E so that's around Memorial day. It has had body work done, but I have not really done anything to it in 18 years other than get it moving and keeping it that way.

Norm, there's a nomenclature problem. Cyclones are in the south Pacific, Typhoons in the northern, and Hurricanes in the Atlantic. However, a tropical cyclone is a synonym for tropical storm, so the term cyclone gets used twice.

I guess they use SUPERSTORM when the yankees think they are getting tough weather.
Old June 5th, 2023, 06:09 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks John. I used to have a list of all the build dates I found for 67s. My quest is to buy a car that was built the day I was born. I've found a couple, but so far nothing has worked out. I say my favorite is the 70, which is all I've had, but I'd be hard pressed not to pick the 67 if someone asked me what my favorite year was.

I guess my wall guy took a powder this morning, as I didn't have one until 630. The lead sent someone else over. He's a little slow but he's consistent. We were over 10 wheels by break which is excellent.

Chris since my current favorite song doesn't meet your thread's criteria, I'll say here that it's the theme to A Summer Place.

Okay carry on.

Old June 5th, 2023, 06:15 AM
Running On Empty

Chris since my current favorite song doesn't meet your thread's criteria, I'll say here that it's the theme to A Summer Place..
Mike - Wow, just wow. That is a fantastic composure by Percy Faith & The Orchestra. I haven't thought of Percy Faith in many, many moons. A splendid composition it is, indeed.
Old June 5th, 2023, 06:24 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Mike, it says 5E so that's around Memorial day. It has had body work done, but I have not really done anything to it in 18 years other than get it moving and keeping it that way.

Norm, there's a nomenclature problem. Cyclones are in the south Pacific, Typhoons in the northern, and Hurricanes in the Atlantic. However, a tropical cyclone is a synonym for tropical storm, so the term cyclone gets used twice.

I guess they use SUPERSTORM when the yankees think they are getting tough weather.

Sorry, John, but that's incorrect. Typhoons & hurricanes are cyclones.

Honestly, they're all cyclones. It's a matter of convention based on nothing more than "location" regarding what someone calls them. Cyclones, regardless of their names, are normally occurring atmospheric phenomena distinguishable via the alignment & magnitude of their isobars (pressure gradients). The Coriolis Effect steers the direction and formation of atmospheric cyclones. How a cyclone develops and its location is nothing more than a naming convention - they're all cyclones.
Old June 5th, 2023, 07:42 AM

Sorry, John, but that's incorrect. Typhoons & hurricanes are cyclones.

Honestly, they're all cyclones. It's a matter of convention based on nothing more than "location" regarding what someone calls them. Cyclones, regardless of their names, are normally occurring atmospheric phenomena distinguishable via the alignment & magnitude of their isobars (pressure gradients). The Coriolis Effect steers the direction and formation of atmospheric cyclones. How a cyclone develops and its location is nothing more than a naming convention - they're all cyclones.
Yes, I was referring to the naming system.
Old June 5th, 2023, 07:44 AM

John - I know it's hard to find time for big projects when you're working full time, but do you have any projection for doing a complete resto on the car? Is that color called Pewter?
Old June 5th, 2023, 07:52 AM
Running On Empty

Yes, I was referring to the naming system.
Agree. After my response, I might have been better served to suggest you're correct regarding "...there's a nomenclature problem..." since they're all cyclones.
Old June 5th, 2023, 08:15 AM
Jeff

Does anyone else ever think they are just treading water? I don't know what I'd do if I actually got something accomplished. Once upon a time I said I wanted a change. But instead I just added another layer to the current normal. Sometimes I'm not very bright.
Yep, that's why I did not shed any tears when I sold my pontoon or my Starfire, and instead was happy to have less things to maintain. I plan to divest myself of a bunch more stuff in a couple of weeks, via (Lord help me) a garage sale. Decided last week that I'm taking every Friday off in June, except last week, to get caught up on tasks that need to be done around here. Less things to stress about, better able to relax and not be a jerk to my family.
Old June 5th, 2023, 08:19 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Weezer
Yep, that's why I did not shed any tears when I sold my pontoon or my Starfire, and instead was happy to have less things to maintain. I plan to divest myself of a bunch more stuff in a couple of weeks, via (Lord help me) a garage sale. Decided last week that I'm taking every Friday off in June, except last week, to get caught up on tasks that need to be done around here. Less things to stress about, better able to relax and not be a jerk to my family.
Kinda, sorta what I'm doing. Removing some of the items which control my time. Down-sizing I think they call it.
Old June 5th, 2023, 08:31 AM
Jeff

Kinda, sorta what I'm doing. Removing some of the items which control my time. Down-sizing I think they call it.
Right-o. Get rid of stuff that hasn't been touched in quite some time (except to move it out of the way), or will no longer be used. Reassess priorities. Then, later on, if you see something that piques your interest, you'll have both time and space for it. I discovered I still had some camper-related stuff in storage, and we sold that damn thing in 2014. Wife's friends just bought a camper, so I am donating anything I find to them. My wife's only niece (on her side) just graduated college, and is getting an apartment with her boyfriend in 2 weeks. They will be getting first crack at household items that will otherwise go in the garage sale.

I think I said this before, but getting rid of two-stroke lawn equipment (trimmers and blowers) and getting a real riding mower was huge for me. I don't want to F with yard equipment, I want to be able to walk into the garage, and everything starts / works like it is supposed to, so I can get that job done as fast as possible.
Old June 5th, 2023, 08:37 AM
Running On Empty

Jeff - You are exactly "spot-on". My thinking exactly.
Old June 5th, 2023, 08:55 AM

Chris, I'd like to restore it. That color is Beer Can Primer. The car calls for code V-V Antique Pewter top and bottom. Pewter is also a code, P. Pewter is basically silver. Antique Pewter is basically metallic J&B Weld. I like that color, the only thing that is undamaged on the car for paint is the inside decklid. I think it will be my retirement project if not sooner. I am retiring in 8 years, 1 month from now max. Maybe sooner.

Norm, agreed on the weather naming. I am trying to get rid of stuff. There are not many more firearms I want, my decoration plans have clarified, and I am trying to get rid of stuff that does not fit my hobbies.

Mike, I had thought I'd be further along on this one. I am trying not to take up any new project cars.

Jeff, I have several 2 cycles. I have found that using premium premixed fuel solves 90% of ills.

Old June 5th, 2023, 09:32 AM

Chris, I'd like to restore it. That color is Beer Can Primer. The car calls for code V-V Antique Pewter top and bottom. Pewter is also a code, P. Pewter is basically silver. Antique Pewter is basically metallic J&B Weld. I like that color, the only thing that is undamaged on the car for paint is the inside decklid. I think it will be my retirement project if not sooner. I am retiring in 8 years, 1 month from now max. Maybe sooner.
John - Thanks for the response. I love both those colors on that car. I think Oldsmaniac on this site has a very nice one in the color code P, Pewter. I do have the '67 color palette, so I know exactly the colors you're talking about..

Glad to hear you're planning a resto on it in the long term. Good luck on getting to retirement, sounds like you have a plan and that's always good. I knew I would never have time for the upkeep or the fun of owning a classic car until I retired and that's why I held off on getting one until I did. Then it took me almost a year and a half to find one that set my heart on fire and that I could afford. I don't know how some of you guys who have 3 or 4 or more classics keep up with them, my hat's off to you on that aspect!
Old June 5th, 2023, 10:21 AM
Jeff

I got into the habit several years ago of emptying the gas tanks of my 2 strokes back into the can, then running them til they quit to get as much fuel out of the carb as possible, even during the season. Debating whether I should pick up another Milwaukee trimmer for the cottage, or just get the 2 stroke down and clean the carb AGAIN. To be fair, it was a roadside freebie that ran great for 3 or 4 summers, until it didn't at the end of last year. The $20 Amazon carb adjuster kit that has almost all the adjustment head tools in it was a great purchase. I had that trimmer running perfect in 10 minutes after cleaning it all up and replacing the fuel lines.