The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2023, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Answer the question...punk. Go ahead....make my day.
I took your advice only hold the onions. It was good but I still like Henri's better, Its probably cause that's what I was drug up eating
Old May 25th, 2023, 02:40 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I took your advice only hold the onions. It was good but I still like Henri's better, Its probably cause that's what I was drug up eating
Jim - I'd have to agree w/ you since I have eaten at Henri's.
Old May 25th, 2023, 02:49 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by slantflat
I'll get some pictures of the Chevy after I wash it tomorrow. I don't care if it's going to rain Sunday, I'm washing the car! The guy I got the Imperial from said he drove it to Carlisle from his house a couple years ago. A couple years ago the tires would have only been 18 years old. He lives in Virginia, said it was 3 or 4 hours on the interstate. Years ago I didn't give two hoots about tire age. I drove my Cutlass with at least 20 year old tires from Chicago to Moline and back. About 300 miles round trip. Never gave it a second thought. Wouldn't do that now.
I owned my Starfire for 21 years before I put a set of tires on it ('98 to '19). The bias plys in the front were half bald. Of course, from 2004-2018, the car was mostly off the road, save for the occasional slow jaunt around the subdivision. The majority of the 5k miles I put on the car during my ownership came between '98 and '02. Once I had the car plated again in '18, I should've got new tires. I stopped tempting fate after I read a few of the horror stories on this forum.
Old May 25th, 2023, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
I owned my Starfire for 21 years before I put a set of tires on it ('98 to '19). The bias plys in the front were half bald. Of course, from 2004-2018, the car was mostly off the road, save for the occasional slow jaunt around the subdivision. The majority of the 5k miles I put on the car during my ownership came between '98 and '02. Once I had the car plated again in '18, I should've got new tires. I stopped tempting fate after I read a few of the horror stories on this forum.
Jeff - Tires that came on my car were new in 2016 and probably have less than 5K-miles on them, and the car has been garaged the entire time. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere on them. The BFG T/A's that came on the set of 15" repro SS1's the seller gave me were new in 2014, so almost 9-years old. They have a ton of tread left and no signs of rubber cracks in the depth of the tread or sidewalls. If I put them on the car I'd be much more wary of high-speed highway driving. I was surprised you only put about 5K-miles on the Starfire. I purchased my car in November of 2019, and the summer of 2020 was pretty much a bust as far as car events, but I just figured out I've put 3,720-miles on it since I bought it. It's definitely getting used. I'll put another 130-miles on it Saturday going to the show I'm planning on going to.
Old May 25th, 2023, 05:46 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I was admiring this guy's little Mitsubishi Mini Truck in the lane next to me while I was putting diesel into my F250 diesel tractor. I had never been up close to one of these. From my conversation I learned: They have a 3-cylinder engine mounted under the cab, the bed raises and the sides fold down (at least on his), said his top (comfortable) speed is ~55mph, has a 6 gallon fuel tank, I admired how narrow it was and he said it works well for him between rows as he owns a company in which he installs cemetery/grave markers where he utilizes the mini truck. It was a light military brown. It was a cute little bugger.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; May 25th, 2023 at 05:48 PM.
Old May 25th, 2023, 08:20 PM

6 gallon fuel tank? That's similar to a jerry can. No matter how much MPG you can imagine it gets, that's still a short range.
Old May 25th, 2023, 09:31 PM

Norm, Really Cool. I think my John Deere Pro Gator is pretty close but maybe not as high a top speed. I've got 3 markers on my gator now. Hopefully get them in the ground on Saturday. I've toyed with a bed crane hoist but now just using muscle

Last edited by Jamesbo; May 25th, 2023 at 09:41 PM.
Old May 26th, 2023, 03:56 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I still count today as Friday even though I'm working tomorrow. This should be an interesting one. Probably a third of the crew is either off or called off. The lead is gone, his favorite mechanics are gone(who take up for him when he's gone), and people are slow to get going. Another guy and I are sort of taking over the crew for the day. I don't always like being in charge, when people don't listen to me and they are supposed to, I start barking like a drill seargent. My wall guy is certain to be a total slacker today. I may have a talk with him, he's sucked all week.

Don't know nuthin' else. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old May 26th, 2023, 04:49 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - I'll have to say - the wheel & tire shop where you work has a peculiar employee work schedule & crew ensemble of which I'm not familiar. Does anyone treat their job as a full-time daily worker schedule with achievement(s) based on productivity and QC? I realize you talk it up a good deal, but I get the overall impression folks either come to work or they don't; and, folks either work or they don't. Just seems odd to me.
Old May 26th, 2023, 05:24 AM
Running On Empty

I've toyed with a bed crane hoist but now just using muscle
Jim - There are two guys w/ pic-em-up trucks with a bed crane. I don't know them well, they each belong to my club. Each pickup has the larger variety of crane mounted through the bed to the frame on the side of the bed. Each primarily uses them to load/unload & transport shellfish (1° oysters/clams) to local restaurants/markets. Rather nifty as they're primarily supporting local markets with fresh shellfish. Local boats pull into the docks and they pull right up to grab 'em.
Old May 26th, 2023, 05:28 AM

IMHO texting is sooooooooooooooooo phuqued up. My step son is trying to build a dog pin [with roof] He sent me a text pic of 2x8 rafters held up with a 2x4 band. He said [via text[ he had soooooooooooo many 2x4s. I'm not sure who did the lumber take off but Pine what ever it is dont know squat about framing Its and accident looking for a place to happen
Old May 26th, 2023, 05:35 AM
Always room for one more

Norm I don't get it. When I first came to the shop things ran smoothly and we did an enormous amount of work. Then things seemed to cool down, which I believe was due to a few guys thinking they were bigger than their britches. Those guys got gone and some new guys came in, and things picked up again. Now, individually, each and every guy is awesome and does a great job. But get them in a group, and the anchor is thrown out. The lead is ineffective. He stands up and talks big, and that's the end of it. Everyone knows that whatever he says he won't back up. And since he hasn't been here this week, people have been coming in late, calling off, generally just being pieces of $hit. It's easy to say I don't care, but it's hard to really be like that. These young guys don't realize that we're in a service industry. They don't see the planes, they don't have the sense of urgency. They don't know just how bad it is to have a plane delayed or canceled. We're insulated from all that. But I can tell you this isn't going to go on for much longer. It's going to go beyond the lead and people who have no idea what the shop is about will start telling us what to do and then we're screwed.

Gosh that turned into a rant.

Old May 26th, 2023, 05:38 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo when he finally gets it finished put a picture, I'm trying to figure out what I can build for Tiger that I can attach somehow to the side of the house and he can go out and in at will.

Old May 26th, 2023, 05:44 AM
Running On Empty

Gosh that turned into a rant.
Not really. That was a good explanation. Sounds to me the role of a "lead" is a misnomer and a lead is more likened to a douche-nozzle springboard with no leadership acumen.
Old May 26th, 2023, 05:47 AM
Running On Empty

Jamesbo when he finally gets it finished put a picture, I'm trying to figure out what I can build for Tiger that I can attach somehow to the side of the house and he can go out and in at will.
You have no idea how many times I've considered erecting a dog kennel alongside one area of my man-cave so I can get a couple dogs. I get so far w/ the notion then - nothing becomes of it. It's been one of my great in-decisions the past several years.
Old May 26th, 2023, 05:52 AM
Running On Empty

The weather is really pure junk - and has been junk the past several days. There's a huge system off the coast which isn't expected to go away for at least the next two-three days. Very windy & cold with various intermittent areas of rain. In the 20+ years I've resided here I have yet to witness this type weather at the end of May - generally it's a very pleasant and seasonable late spring/early summer - not this year. I think it's picked up some Demons from the Sargasso Sea. TONS of indoor house cleaning in store this weekend.
Old May 26th, 2023, 06:00 AM

OK guys Dog kennel 101 1] Install frost free hose bib 2] dig post holes 3] pour slab as smooth as a baby's butt [easier to hose down] 4] build dog house out of exterior plywood 4 sheets per house [lean to style] set up on concrete blocks so you can wash under them 5] Use nothing but chain link fencing wire water buckets to fence off the ground A roof will keep leaves out but it will be colder in the winter so leave some open area for sunshine Mike I wouldn't allow Tiger to get in this thing its gonna fall down
Old May 26th, 2023, 06:12 AM
Running On Empty

What I had in mind (which I haven't completely thought through) was the notion I'd build a kennel attached to the West side (40'L) of the man-cave w/ an opening into/out of the man-cave so the dogs can seek shelter inside when needed. The kennel (of some type) would be built/fastened to the metal building but the kennel would also be enclosed by a ~15'L x 8'W chain link fence so they have some decent grass & a little running area (small yeah - but something outdoors).
Old May 26th, 2023, 06:22 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo what I had in mind would be like an exterior room attached to the house, replete with roof and walls but with a dirt/grass floor. That way he can go potty at any time during the day, and at night and not have to wake me up. But no, I don't want it to fall down on him.

Norm, what are you going to do with dogs, besides have them outside and not near you?

Old May 26th, 2023, 06:31 AM
Always room for one more

I'm officially irritated. My wall guy has given me 5 wheels since he started working at 635(we start at 6). He left at 745 to go get breakfast, and then took the 830 break. He's given me one wheel since and now has gone to the credit union. I try not to say too much to people since I'm not signing their paycheck, but this is it. He's getting an earful and if he doesn't like it we can both go to the lead when he gets back and he can tell him why we fell short every day this week.

My God. What if one of John's machines broke and the factory couldn't build cars for a couple days. What if Jamesbo had a funeral and at the end the grave wasn't dug yet. There have been times when an airplane needed a wheel and there wasn't one. That's a bad scene. Ever been on an airplane that's been delayed or canceled? People loose their minds.

Am I still not ranting? Wait a little while the day isn't over yet. Sheesh.

Old May 26th, 2023, 06:41 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - The outdoor kennel is SOLELY for the dogs: (1) to be isolated from the interior of the house when I am away from the house e.g. playing golf 5hrs - 6hrs/day 3 - 4 days/week; (2) when there is primarily/mostly sunshine and great weather (which is normal) - they would surely prefer to be outdoors than inside the house and they can do whatever they want (lay in the grass, lay on the concrete pad outdoors in the sheltered kennel, or go inside the man-cave if it's crappy outdoors); (3) and, last but not least - offer them a place to take their poops inside the chain link fencing area.
Old May 26th, 2023, 07:53 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Jeff - Tires that came on my car were new in 2016 and probably have less than 5K-miles on them, and the car has been garaged the entire time. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere on them. The BFG T/A's that came on the set of 15" repro SS1's the seller gave me were new in 2014, so almost 9-years old. They have a ton of tread left and no signs of rubber cracks in the depth of the tread or sidewalls. If I put them on the car I'd be much more wary of high-speed highway driving. I was surprised you only put about 5K-miles on the Starfire. I purchased my car in November of 2019, and the summer of 2020 was pretty much a bust as far as car events, but I just figured out I've put 3,720-miles on it since I bought it. It's definitely getting used. I'll put another 130-miles on it Saturday going to the show I'm planning on going to.
Dec 2003 first son came along, so car got back-burnered. I did drive it quite a bit those first few years. In hindsight, it was a purchase that never should have happened.
Old May 26th, 2023, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Dec 2003 first son came along, so car got back-burnered. I did drive it quite a bit those first few years. In hindsight, it was a purchase that never should have happened.
We've all made our share of those!
Old May 26th, 2023, 08:15 AM

Mike - The outdoor kennel is SOLELY for the dogs: (1) to be isolated from the interior of the house when I am away from the house e.g. playing golf 5hrs - 6hrs/day 3 - 4 days/week; (2) when there is primarily/mostly sunshine and great weather (which is normal) - they would surely prefer to be outdoors than inside the house and they can do whatever they want (lay in the grass, lay on the concrete pad outdoors in the sheltered kennel, or go inside the man-cave if it's crappy outdoors); (3) and, last but not least - offer them a place to take their poops inside the chain link fencing area.
Norm - Speaking of dogs, our Maggie is 5-yrs old today! Hard to believe that we've had her that long, and even harder to believe Monty's almost 7. I think you know our dogs are spoiled to death, and we get an immense amount of joy from their antics and company. The only downside for us has been a reduction in travel/vacations that I had planned during retirement, and that is only because my wife cannot find anyplace or anyone she trusts to watch them for an extended period of time.

As for building an enclosure, in case you do decide to get a couple dogs, my only recommendation would be to give them a larger fenced in area than you described above. Even just one dog will quickly turn that small of a grassy area to dirt and then you'll just have a muddy mess. Just my 2-cents.

Maggie got 2 new ***** for her b-day, a soft one (light blue) and a hard one (dark blue). The hard one is just to push around. Monty immediately commandeered both of them, but she is postured to get at least one of them back!

Old May 26th, 2023, 08:36 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - A 20' x ~10' (200' sq) area is far more than most dogs will ever see in a defined kennel area, IMO. They have a full acre of grassy lawn to run around when not in the kennel in addition to a 40' x 30' (1200' sq) man-cave when they're in the kennel enclosure. Still thinking this all through. Aside from chain link fencing surrounding the outdoor kennel (I'm not going to chain link fence an entire acre for two dogs) I'm torn on how to create access to the kennel itself - a gate on the outside for human access + a HD through-wall dog screen/flap, a gate on the outside plus a full-size door on the metal building separating the kennel from the man-cave w/ a built-in HD screen/flap (this will provide access from w/in the man-cave) or one full-size door + HD screen/flap on the building separating the kennel from the man-cave w/o an external access through the chain link fence. The full-size door could contain the HD dog access screen/flap or I could install a separate full-size door plus an additional HD dog access screen/flap somewhere else along the side of the kennel. This is why I haven't thought this through entirely.
Old May 26th, 2023, 08:54 AM

Chris - A 20' x ~10' (200' sq) area is far more than most dogs will ever see in a defined kennel area, IMO. They have a full acre of grassy lawn to run around when not in the kennel in addition to a 40' x 30' (1200' sq) man-cave when they're in the kennel enclosure. Still thinking this all through. Aside from chain link fencing surrounding the outdoor kennel (I'm not going to chain link fence an entire acre for two dogs) I'm torn on how to create access to the kennel itself - a gate on the outside for human access + a HD through-wall dog screen/flap, a gate on the outside plus a full-size door on the metal building separating the kennel from the man-cave w/ a built-in HD screen/flap (this will provide access from w/in the man-cave) or one full-size door + HD screen/flap on the building separating the kennel from the man-cave w/o an external access through the chain link fence. The full-size door could contain the HD dog access screen/flap or I could install a separate full-size door plus an additional HD dog access screen/flap somewhere else along the side of the kennel. This is why I haven't thought this through entirely.
Norm - I realize you've got plenty of yard for any future dogs to thoroughly enjoy themselves. I guess this sentence just jumped out at me, "The kennel (of some type) would be built/fastened to the metal building but the kennel would also be enclosed by a ~15'L x 8'W chain link fence so they have some decent grass & a little running area (small yeah - but something outdoors)". The 15'L x 8'W for the chain link enclosure just seemed very small? Knowing you, if you decide to do it, I know it will be nice for you and the dogs! I've never seen any work you've done that's half-***!
Old May 26th, 2023, 09:23 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - I realize you've got plenty of yard for any future dogs to thoroughly enjoy themselves. I guess this sentence just jumped out at me, "The kennel (of some type) would be built/fastened to the metal building but the kennel would also be enclosed by a ~15'L x 8'W chain link fence so they have some decent grass & a little running area (small yeah - but something outdoors)". The 15'L x 8'W for the chain link enclosure just seemed very small?
Chris - I appreciate the opinions/commentary - I see nearly no pet owners w/ an outdoor kennel attached to a 1200' sq building & a pet access door for access. In fact, most pet owners have no outdoor kennel aside from what "some" might consider a "dog house". Heck, many pet owners have no dog house or any outdoor area aside from perhaps a fenced-in yard.

I'm back to considerations involving type of pet access doors. Since it's a man-cave and not my house, I'm not leaning towards a locked security access door to deter mischievous crooks/thieves but I want it heavy duty. See, this is the place I always get hung up and stop becoming innovative. Argh. Do I really need a full-size door for access between the kennel and the man-cave? I could save a lot of time/expense by throwing this idea out the window I suspect and just install a simple HD pet access door; then, I'd install a chain-link gate into the chain-link fencing I guess.
Old May 26th, 2023, 09:27 AM
Running On Empty

OK I'm making progress. I just ditched the notion of whether I need an outside chain-link gate - not sure what I was thinking on this one. Of course, I need an outside chain-link gate in the chain-link kennel enclosure - I think! LMAO with my indecision. See, I guess I was thinking dogs would always come & go into the kennel from "inside" the man-cave. I'm a mess...
Old May 26th, 2023, 09:41 AM
Always room for one more

Norm I would have figured you to be a trained, wire-fence kind of guy. My dogs have always been inside with me, and stay inside when I'm not there, if they aren't with me that is. My neighbor had a dog he left outside all the time and never paid no mind to, but then decided he must be lonely. So he got another dog to leave outside and pay no mind to.

Chris that's funny. And then you'll have a muddy mess. That's what I say.

The day has taken a turn. Said wall guy was almost an hour at the credit union, then of course left early for lunch. Got my next wheel an hour after lunch was over. Then one of the mechanics up and left, leaving us with two, and the lead in the other area had two mechanics from other areas come over and also kicked two slow guys off the robot and brought over two extra wall guys. Now everyone is falling all over each other. Eh, if it gets something done.

Old May 26th, 2023, 09:50 AM

Eh, if crap blows up at my plant, we just stop the line and give the team members The Three Choices (said in capital letters).

The weather here is great. I may sneak out early.
Old May 26th, 2023, 10:32 AM

OK I'm making progress. I just ditched the notion of whether I need an outside chain-link gate - not sure what I was thinking on this one. Of course, I need an outside chain-link gate in the chain-link kennel enclosure - I think! LMAO with my indecision. See, I guess I was thinking dogs would always come & go into the kennel from "inside" the man-cave. I'm a mess...
Norm - Step back. Take 2 shots of high quality Bourbon. It will all come into focus, trust me!
Old May 26th, 2023, 11:07 AM
Always room for one more

Norm you could put the dogs in the man cave and they could go out into the fence through the HD dog door. And you could do the same when you went out to clean up, do maintenance, etc. Or, you could put a full size door from the man cave, or you could put a gate on the outside. Or, or, or...

John what are the three choices? Live with it, help change it, or quit? Go to Japan and yell at the boss?

The day has taken a turn. We are within striking distance of finishing, and my wall guy has stepped up, probably because it would be painfully obvious that he is slacking when everyone else is busting their ***. And because I started writing down what time he gave me a wheel and he saw it.

Old May 26th, 2023, 11:40 AM
Running On Empty

Norm you could put the dogs in the man cave and they could go out into the fence through the HD dog door. And you could do the same when you went out to clean up, do maintenance, etc. Or, you could put a full size door from the man cave, or you could put a gate on the outside. Or, or, or...
Mike - GREAT suggestions...why didn't I think of that?

Old May 26th, 2023, 11:56 AM
Running On Empty

I'd like to say this about that.
The door seal/gasket on my Frigidaire Professional Series 500 Electric Range & Oven (FEFLZ87GCA) has all but completely disintegrated - e.g. turned to dust. This is mostly my fault as the last time I cleaned the oven door I was an idiot using some lye to remove build-up on the inside of the door and areas around the glass - wrong product for that adventure for sure. The lye basically disintegrated the seal/gasket in a very short order of time. The range/oven is 20 yrs old but in excellent condition.
I'm on an interior house cleaning binge and elected to see if I could find a replacement door seal/gasket. I did find one from Frigidaire ($173.00), found several other (OEM) seals/gaskets between $110 - $140 from other vendors. With just a tad more research found a Mom & Pop appliance parts store in Pennsylvania selling exact same OEM part for $31.40 (shipping = $6.10). That's a huge savings - so much savings I can buy supplies to make chocolate malt milkshakes well into the summer. Win win...

Last edited by Vintage Chief; May 26th, 2023 at 11:59 AM.
Old May 26th, 2023, 12:11 PM

I'd like to say this about that.
. . .
With just a tad more research found a Mom & Pop appliance parts store in Pennsylvania selling exact same OEM part for $31.40 (shipping = $6.10). That's a huge savings - so much savings I can buy supplies to make chocolate malt milkshakes well into the summer. Win win...
Nice sleuthing!
Old May 26th, 2023, 12:18 PM

Not to point out the obvious, BUT, Norm if you have a dog door from the man cave to the kennel, You are gonna need a gate on the chain length fence OR you are gonna have to crawl through the dog door
Old May 26th, 2023, 12:18 PM
Running On Empty

From a work perspective I think the three choices are: change, accept or hit the F*ing highway.
Old May 26th, 2023, 12:20 PM
Running On Empty

Not to point out the obvious, BUT, Norm if you have a dog door from the man cave to the kennel, You are gonna need a gate on the chain length fence OR you are gonna have to crawl through the dog door
Jim - Yes, I know this. I tried explaining this to myself (above); then, Mike offered up a great idea - I could crawl through the dog door; or, or, or...maybe I "should" crawl through the door?
Old May 26th, 2023, 12:21 PM

Old May 26th, 2023, 12:25 PM
Running On Empty

I'm a 'Basket Case' (one of my favorite songs); and, yes I played this song frequently before I sold my Fender Stratocaster and my Booger (MESA BOOGIE amplifier).