The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2023, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - You posted pictures of that event last year, also. Reminds me of basic training without a tech/drill sergeant screaming at you.
Norm - You're correct in that last year's was the same type of event, but this was a different organizer and was much larger (# of participants), and last year's was female only. This one was the same distance (5K) but the obstacles were much more exotic and more difficult. They put this course together on the grounds of Worldwide Technologies Raceway in Madison, IL. The raceway sponsors both NASCAR and NHRA events every summer, as well as other lesser race events.
Old April 29th, 2023, 09:18 PM

John, the ‘rona is going around. The ma in law had it a couple weeks ago. Apparently the current version is more like a head cold. You can test for ‘rona but other than saying yea or nay there’s not much point.
Old April 30th, 2023, 07:58 AM

I had to try Jacques French toast made only with melted ice cream. Pretty good 👍
Old April 30th, 2023, 09:27 AM
Running On Empty

Jim, Jim, Jim - You're a frick'n gourmet.
Old April 30th, 2023, 02:38 PM

Norm, its actually the easiest I've ever made, melt ice cream [vanilla] butter pan, dip bread in melted ice cream toss in buttered pan brown, flip brown, done enjoy.
Old April 30th, 2023, 02:44 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Actually, I have made it before. Although, I add either one or two eggs to the melted ice cream. It's a nice sweet addition to breakfast. I generally will have 2-3 eggs sunny side up, medium Italian sausage link(s), hash browns and two slices of Jacques French toast.
Old April 30th, 2023, 03:01 PM

Norm, Ending sentences in prepositions is something up which I will not put I hope ya know its my weak attempt at humor
Old April 30th, 2023, 04:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Jamesbo remember Norm is from the land of ending with a preposition. Do you want to come with? That's always a favorite amongst non-Northerners. I don't know where I'm going to. I forgot where I put that at.

Beautiful day here. Walmart was a success, got some laundry done, and a friend of mine and his two kids came over. Awesome guy and nice kids.

Gonna be nice all week. My friend said he's coming next weekend regardless if it rains or not. We'll find something to do.

Okay MASH is on. Have a good evening everyone.

Old April 30th, 2023, 04:05 PM

Mike I have ta ax. why are you looking for a mower?
Old April 30th, 2023, 04:19 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mike I have ta ax. why are you looking for a mower?
It would make sense if Mike had grass, but he don't got none (that's Southern for you).
Old April 30th, 2023, 04:46 PM

It would make sense if Mike had grass, but he don't got none (that's Southern for you).
norm, I'm trying to ( unsuccessfully) link up shaq gets bad lasagna. Hilarious. Could you please help me
Old April 30th, 2023, 05:14 PM
Always room for one more

My friend's boy has taken to fixing up derelict lawn mowers and I wanted to help him out. But since the cat is out of the bag, the big mower I just got stopped working and it's too much for me to get taken somewhere. It ran great when I looked at it, but the driving rainstorm I went through coming home I think fried something. I showed it to my friend and he and the boy said it wasn't a big deal to fix and they would come another time and pick it up and get it going. So when that happens I'll take the mower from today over to Mom's and have a big mower there as well. That yard sucks to mow with a push mower.

After 8 and still a lot of light in the sky. When I worked midnights summer time always messed with me. I'd be late getting ready for work because I always thought it was dark when I went to work, and when it stayed light I'd lose track of time.

Don't expect any bombshells this week, but you never know. Want to take bets whether or not the robot lasts all week? It was broke too long and it got fixed too quickly for it to be fixed for good.

Okay MASH is over and it's bedtime. Good night everyone.

Old April 30th, 2023, 05:42 PM

Well I’m beat. It’s near a hunnert degrees today. I did two oil changes, tire rotation, washed two dogs, and dug up and replaced a pop up sprinkler.

Back porch in the shade.

Old April 30th, 2023, 05:47 PM
Running On Empty

Old April 30th, 2023, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Well I’m beat. It’s near a hunnert degrees today. I did two oil changes, tire rotation, washed two dogs, and dug up and replaced a pop up sprinkler.

Back porch in the shade.
Kenneth - No surprise you're beat, that's a bunch in that kind of temp..

I spent the day at my first judged Car Show of the season. The weather was just barely tolerable, with mid-50's, overcast, and very windy with up to 35-mph gusts. Despite the weather there was a good turnout with 158 entries. No classes, just an overall Top 25 format. I placed and got a really nice car theme clock which I'm going to put in my garage.

Here's a link to a pic of the clock and some pics of the cars if you're interested.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...5&goto=newpost

Old May 1st, 2023, 03:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Lots of people out today, but the lead is against hiring more people. We will most likely be short at the end of the day and he'll come back and make it sound like it's our fault. Brilliant.

Didn't sleep very well last night. Just couldn't get comfortable. I'll have plenty of time to nap today, my wall guy is someone who usually works someplace else and he is slow. Plus, the other wall guys will give him all the hard wheels and he isn't smart enough to tell them to stick it.

Gonna be nice all week. Summit tonight. Hope I don't forget. It's been going a month and I haven't been yet. That's okay. It's the same cars every week.

Okay have a good day everyone.

Old May 1st, 2023, 05:09 AM
Running On Empty

The past two days had me lowering & raising windows in my home as severe weather moved through area(s) on several occasions - no biggie other than increased vigilance. Last night I watched the severe weather radar dance all around the area(s) as it moved Northeast towards Virginia. It was mere miles from me regarding tornadoes & lightning as I watched the radar. Dodged a bullet. Virginia Beach got nailed as I'm sure other areas did as well.
Old May 1st, 2023, 05:13 AM
Running On Empty

One year Shaq played as a celebrity in The Greenbrier Classic golf tournament on ProAm day. As I was Marshals Zone Chairperson (Holes 15,16,17) I watched Shaq on several occasions. What a really nice guy - with a really terrible golf swing. The fans loved his comradery.
Old May 1st, 2023, 05:56 AM

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainme...story-20210903 I think hes a scream
Old May 1st, 2023, 06:07 AM
Always room for one more

Shaq lives close to me, he's all the time doing stuff for the community. He was going to run for sheriff, don't know what happened to that.
Old May 1st, 2023, 06:33 AM
Running On Empty

Shaq never wanted to run for Mayor...he thought he might run for Sheriff. Glad he didn't run for either Sheriff or Mayor...who'd want the headache?
Old May 1st, 2023, 07:01 AM
Always room for one more

I didn't say mayor. I said sheriff. Shaq lives in unincorporated Henry County, there is no mayor. But I agree with you, why would he want that headache? He'd be good at it, though, I'm sure.

So sort of slow at work. I've been reading some of the PMs I've saved and some of them are pretty funny. I get a gool laugh out of some of them!!!!!!! Helps the day move along.

Old May 1st, 2023, 07:25 AM
Running On Empty

Yeah, I realized you didn't say Mayor after I posted - it stuck in my head because I recall at some point there was some type of news media garbage about him "supposedly" running for mayor but he said he might run for Sheriff.
Metamucil also helps the day move along.
Old May 1st, 2023, 07:56 AM
Jeff

Moved a leather sectional out of the basement and took to the cottage this weekend, along with the old side-by-side fridge. Stuff from the cottage (except the fridge) came back south with us. My sons are certain that they do not want to be furniture movers as a career choice.
Old May 1st, 2023, 10:28 AM

Well, two, and looking like three days of my stay-cation, when I was supposed to be cleaning house, are now gone due to illness. I think it's a bad cold or spring flu. I seem to be recovering. General malaise is gone, hocking up mucus (which leads me to believe it is not the latest rona) and still have sore throat. Lost about 6 pounds, which is good as I need to lose weight. Had some chills but they are gone. My thermometer is broken. I think I may venture to the store for more supplies.
Old May 1st, 2023, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Well, two, and looking like three days of my stay-cation, when I was supposed to be cleaning house, are now gone due to illness. I think it's a bad cold or spring flu. I seem to be recovering. General malaise is gone, hocking up mucus (which leads me to believe it is not the latest rona) and still have sore throat. Lost about 6 pounds, which is good as I need to lose weight. Had some chills but they are gone. My thermometer is broken. I think I may venture to the store for more supplies.
John - Sounds like a pretty nasty bug whatever it is and that you're still fighting it. Hope you start feeling much better soon!
Old May 1st, 2023, 12:42 PM

Chris, that rocker obstacle on your wife & daughter's mudder 5k looks like a killer if you slip, raw edges on the plywood, and exposed bolts, nasty. Running 25-30° below normal here, had wet snow on the drive into work this a.m.. The poor bastards in parts of the U.P. are supposed to get 2' of the white stuff. Happy springtime.
I liked the Shaq video Jim, i heard about the before, pretty funny. I like watching Shaq and/or Charles Barkley, they always have good stories to tell.

Last edited by 1969w3155; May 1st, 2023 at 12:47 PM.
Old May 1st, 2023, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, that rocker obstacle on your wife & daughter's mudder 5k looks like a killer if you slip, raw edges on the plywood, and exposed bolts, nasty. Running 25-30° below normal here, had wet snow on the drive into work this a.m.. The poor bastards in parts of the U.P. are supposed to get 2' of the white stuff.
Dan - The weather up there sounds really crappy. Cold here too, but certainly not like what you're dealing with! Yes, that obstacle was a real bitch, and like I mentioned I saw multiple injuries while I was waiting for my wife and daughter to get there. I was scared they'd get hurt, but they navigated it just fine with nary a fall. They're both in good shape and athletic. The following pics I didn't have yesterday, and I was able to pull them off of the Event website, and show what I think and they said was the worst obstacle, The Artic Enema! It's a huge Mud and Water Pit, with walls suspended above the water but extending about a foot under the water, and large logs across the water, both of which have barbed wire on top forcing you to go under water to make it through. My wife said she had a major brain freeze and felt really light headed when she got out. This is just plain nasty.

Old May 1st, 2023, 02:13 PM

The Artic Enema! It's a huge Mud and Water Pit, with walls suspended above the water but extending about a foot under the water, and large logs across the water, both of which have barbed wire on top forcing you to go under water to make it through.
No thanks! I'll pass.
Old May 1st, 2023, 04:09 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
...last year's was the same type of event, but this was a different organizer and was much larger (# of participants), and last year's was female only. This one was the same distance (5K) but the obstacles were much more exotic and more difficult. They put this course together on the grounds of Worldwide Technologies Raceway in Madison, IL. The raceway sponsors both NASCAR and NHRA events every summer, as well as other lesser race events.
Chris - What is the reason these people subject themselves to this type of abuse?
Old May 1st, 2023, 04:11 PM

I have my theory, but I'll let Chris answer first.
Old May 1st, 2023, 04:33 PM

Chris - What is the reason these people subject themselves to this type of abuse?
Norm - Honestly, I don't have a good answer, it's probably different for every individual. For my wife, I think it provides an extreme feeling of self accomplishment doing something that not everyone can or is willing to do. My daughter has always been very athletic and she still thrives on physical challenges. Your post about the severe weather in Virginia Beach reminded me of my daughter's last AAU Jr. Olympics in 2006 which was held at Norfolk State University and her Track Club had hotel rooms reserved at a nice hotel on Virginia Beach. She competed in the Pentathlon (100m Hurdles, Long Jump, Shot Put, High Jump, and 800m Run) and the individual High Jump. As for me, no thanks! I'm a workout fanatic doing weight lifting 3-days and heavy cardio 3-days every week, but I'm not going to subject myself to medieval torture just to prove to myself I can complete a 5K obstacle course!

Old May 1st, 2023, 05:24 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Honestly, I don't have a good answer, it's probably different for every individual. For my wife, I think it provides an extreme feeling of self accomplishment doing something that not everyone can or is willing to do. My daughter has always been very athletic and she still thrives on physical challenges. Your post about the severe weather in Virginia Beach reminded me of my daughter's last AAU Jr. Olympics in 2006 which was held at Norfolk State University and her Track Club had hotel rooms reserved at a nice hotel on Virginia Beach. She competed in the Pentathlon (100m Hurdles, Long Jump, Shot Put, High Jump, and 800m Run) and the individual High Jump. As for me, no thanks! I'm a workout fanatic doing weight lifting 3-days and heavy cardio 3-days every week, but I'm not going to subject myself to medieval torture just to prove to myself I can complete a 5K obstacle course!
OK, fair enough. This is a personal physical accomplishment task/achievement - I get it. I was curious if it might have been a benefit to charity or some such event. Thanks.
Old May 1st, 2023, 05:59 PM

OK, fair enough. This is a personal physical accomplishment task/achievement - I get it. I was curious if it might have been a benefit to charity or some such event. Thanks.
Norm - You are correct, there is also a charity component to this. A large amount of the proceeds go to the Make a Wish Foundation.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 05:51 AM

Good morning guys,

I was so bummed late last night when I first read that Gordon Lightfoot had died. He was a real favorite of mine. I saw him in concert at the Fox Theater in St. Louis in 2007 sitting in the 2nd row of the ochestra pit directly in front of him. Half of the concert was just him and his acoustic guitar sitting on a stool right there in front of me and he was amazing! I still play his music all the time.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 06:31 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I have the same wall guy this morning, and he's doing better than he did yesterday. We ended with 31 wheels, not a bad thing. This morning we hit break with 13 wheels, and my goal for break is 10. Aside from the 30 minute break(it's supposed to be 10) we're moving right along. I did get a nice nap out of break. I was really out.

Saw my neighbor yesterday and he said he got the Chevy running. He said the arm on the original fuel pump, the one that I bought, and one he had sitting around, all were very thin and kept jumping off the rod. He got a later model small block pump and it worked great. He also rebuilt the carb. Today he's going to start messing with the brakes. All the lines are put together with compression fittings. Not a great idea.

I wasn't a fan of Gordon Lightfoot, but I know he was an important contributor back in the day. We used to sing his songs in music class in grade school.

John hope you are feeling better. Being sick sucks. Especially if it wastes your time off. You should change your vacation to sick time and then take vacation again.

Okay I've been sitting in the bunker long enough. Gonna go take a walk down to the roll up door to see the outside. I swear the world could end and we'd never know it. Have a good day everyone.

Old May 2nd, 2023, 07:14 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - I can relate to roll-up doors and bunkers. I worked out of the largest hangar on NAFB (Norton Air Force Base) early>mid-1970s). The building was employed as a major & minor isochronal inspection hangar for LARGE aircraft. It could hold six C-141 and included the engine shop & NDI facility. The largest bird we had inside was a C5A.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 02:25 PM

I was so bummed late last night when I first read that Gordon Lightfoot had died.
I saw that last night. Oddly enough, I had one of his tunes in my head yesterday.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 02:37 PM

I have yet to pick up a primary care physician. I guess I still feel young and invincible, but, in your 40's, you are not a kid.

Went to the Toyota clinic, they have some fairly decent staff and a pharmacy right there. Tested negative for strep, said I had lots of throat irritation and gave me these damn large antibiotic pills. I don't do well with pill swallowing, so I bought a splitter and even taking them down half at a time sucks. I am turning a few of these vacation days into sick days per Mike's suggestion, I have a prescription to prove it.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 06:28 PM

Having lunch tomorrow with ahigh school friend His dad was Way ahead if his time and interviewed King way back https://kinginstitute.stanford.edu/k...ur-information He owned a radio station WAOK and gave us free tickets to see all the great shows, Saw James brown several times